RemedySpot.com

potassium

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Swelling = too much salt.CE GOn Feb 27, 2010, at 3:43 AM, moseleymand@... wrote:Unless I maybe had too much sodium yesterday ..and then eating a little amount on top todayIs causing me problems...Praps this will balance out?My belly is swollen, eyes puffy, legs swollen (jeans are tight), belly swollen...Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.ukDate: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:04:53 +0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: potassium HiOkay, I've got up this morning looking forward to starting diet.I've had one slice of whole wheat bread, tiny amount of low salt marg (bread 0.27g sodium) 1 bananaI cup of tea with 0 fat milkStarted feeling very anxious, sick, irritable, belly bloatedHad a cup of black tea thought perhaps its the milk (I normally have problems with milk).Was okay after 20 mins...Then thought I'd have a black decafe coffee ( 0.1g sodium)with one teaspoon of black strap mollassess:Now clenching teeth, anxious, nausea heart is racing, face is worse on right side...I suppose I need to give it a couple of days if I am retaining potassium? Thank youMaybe it will take a day or so to start to adjust?Its just this reaction was straight after having mollassess .Is there a period of feeling worse before you get better?! Sorry if I am jumping the gun to quickly?Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Farah Rahbar <farahbargmail>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:44:42 -0800<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Dr. Grim a question for you on low cortisol Dr. Grim:I've been feeling quite exhausted lately. I thought that perhaps I have hypothyroid in added to my PA.As it turns out my cortisol is rather quite low, meaning 2.1(normal according to the lab is 4.0 - 22.0) - I am currently on 75mgs Aldactone for the past 4 yrs and 1000 vitamind D (for the past yr)the reason I went to the doctor is because in the past month suddenly been experiencing a lot of exhaustion and fatigue and sudden weight gain. Today I looked at low cortisol symptoms on mayo clinic site that pretty much it appears thats what I have -all of the following symptoms- which I am pasting from mayo clinic's symptoms for low cortisol :Muscle weakness and fatigue, my muscles are hurting so much, I was blaming it on low K but its not the caseWeight loss and decreased appetite - (except I have gained weight tremendously suddenly from 115 lbs to 123 in just a month)Low blood pressure, even fainting (my bp has been under 120/80 consistently, feeling very tired, exhausted)Salt craving (I have to search my cupboards for salty things or craving bread which I usually dont eat)Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), my 2 hour test was 89 after drinking the syrup so that not badNausea, diarrhea or vomiting (been feeling nausea off and on)Muscle or joint pains (a lot of it, lots and lots)Irritability - thats me latelyDepression - feeling rather depressed lately off and onAcute adrenal failure (addisonian crisis)Sometimes, however, the signs and symptoms of 's disease may appear suddenly. In acute adrenal failure (addisonian crisis), the signs and symptoms may also include:Pain in your lower back, abdomen or legs - no back pain but some abdomen and leg painSevere vomiting and diarrhea, leading to dehydration NOLow blood pressureLoss of consciousness - NOHigh potassium (hyperkalemia) - My current K is rather higher than its ever been but still within range 4.7 (reference range is 3.5 - 5.3)In fact due to all these symptoms and weight gain I was sure that my thyroid was acting up but according to the lab results my thyroid is quite within normal range - TSH, 2.03(reference range 0.40 - 4.50), Thyroxine Free .9 (reference range 0.8-1.8) surprisingly my cortisol is quite low at 2.1 taken at 8.30 am(normal for this time should be 4.0-22). I thought us PA people usually have higher cortisol!!ACTH is 6 (normal range 6-40), I had to take one Dex pill at 11:00 pm the night before taking the blood test No adrenalectomy as I've been diagnosed with hyperplasia.I am yet to see my endo next week to discuss the lab result.Does anyone else have same kind of symptoms and PA all together? this is my first experience with it after taking Aldactone for the past 4 years. could this mean that one of my adrenal glands may be failing or not functioning? I appreciate any suggestions.Thank You,Farah

Guest guest

Swelling = too much salt.CE GOn Feb 27, 2010, at 3:43 AM, moseleymand@... wrote:Unless I maybe had too much sodium yesterday ..and then eating a little amount on top todayIs causing me problems...Praps this will balance out?My belly is swollen, eyes puffy, legs swollen (jeans are tight), belly swollen...Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: moseleymandhotmail (DOT) co.ukDate: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:04:53 +0000<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Re: potassium HiOkay, I've got up this morning looking forward to starting diet.I've had one slice of whole wheat bread, tiny amount of low salt marg (bread 0.27g sodium) 1 bananaI cup of tea with 0 fat milkStarted feeling very anxious, sick, irritable, belly bloatedHad a cup of black tea thought perhaps its the milk (I normally have problems with milk).Was okay after 20 mins...Then thought I'd have a black decafe coffee ( 0.1g sodium)with one teaspoon of black strap mollassess:Now clenching teeth, anxious, nausea heart is racing, face is worse on right side...I suppose I need to give it a couple of days if I am retaining potassium? Thank youMaybe it will take a day or so to start to adjust?Its just this reaction was straight after having mollassess .Is there a period of feeling worse before you get better?! Sorry if I am jumping the gun to quickly?Sent using BlackBerry® from OrangeFrom: Farah Rahbar <farahbargmail>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:44:42 -0800<hyperaldosteronism >Subject: Dr. Grim a question for you on low cortisol Dr. Grim:I've been feeling quite exhausted lately. I thought that perhaps I have hypothyroid in added to my PA.As it turns out my cortisol is rather quite low, meaning 2.1(normal according to the lab is 4.0 - 22.0) - I am currently on 75mgs Aldactone for the past 4 yrs and 1000 vitamind D (for the past yr)the reason I went to the doctor is because in the past month suddenly been experiencing a lot of exhaustion and fatigue and sudden weight gain. Today I looked at low cortisol symptoms on mayo clinic site that pretty much it appears thats what I have -all of the following symptoms- which I am pasting from mayo clinic's symptoms for low cortisol :Muscle weakness and fatigue, my muscles are hurting so much, I was blaming it on low K but its not the caseWeight loss and decreased appetite - (except I have gained weight tremendously suddenly from 115 lbs to 123 in just a month)Low blood pressure, even fainting (my bp has been under 120/80 consistently, feeling very tired, exhausted)Salt craving (I have to search my cupboards for salty things or craving bread which I usually dont eat)Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), my 2 hour test was 89 after drinking the syrup so that not badNausea, diarrhea or vomiting (been feeling nausea off and on)Muscle or joint pains (a lot of it, lots and lots)Irritability - thats me latelyDepression - feeling rather depressed lately off and onAcute adrenal failure (addisonian crisis)Sometimes, however, the signs and symptoms of 's disease may appear suddenly. In acute adrenal failure (addisonian crisis), the signs and symptoms may also include:Pain in your lower back, abdomen or legs - no back pain but some abdomen and leg painSevere vomiting and diarrhea, leading to dehydration NOLow blood pressureLoss of consciousness - NOHigh potassium (hyperkalemia) - My current K is rather higher than its ever been but still within range 4.7 (reference range is 3.5 - 5.3)In fact due to all these symptoms and weight gain I was sure that my thyroid was acting up but according to the lab results my thyroid is quite within normal range - TSH, 2.03(reference range 0.40 - 4.50), Thyroxine Free .9 (reference range 0.8-1.8) surprisingly my cortisol is quite low at 2.1 taken at 8.30 am(normal for this time should be 4.0-22). I thought us PA people usually have higher cortisol!!ACTH is 6 (normal range 6-40), I had to take one Dex pill at 11:00 pm the night before taking the blood test No adrenalectomy as I've been diagnosed with hyperplasia.I am yet to see my endo next week to discuss the lab result.Does anyone else have same kind of symptoms and PA all together? this is my first experience with it after taking Aldactone for the past 4 years. could this mean that one of my adrenal glands may be failing or not functioning? I appreciate any suggestions.Thank You,Farah

Guest guest

• 6 months later...

Just had a blood test today and as usual I have very high WBC and low platelets, but this time I also have a high potassium count. My Dr wants me to have another blood test tomorrow so I will see what happens. Has anyone had this problem? Arlene--diagnosed in 2001 and on W & W

If you don't mind sharing, what was your HgB count?

Thanks,

Ellen

Arlene Diederich wrote:

Just had a blood test today and as

usual I have very high WBC and low platelets, but this time I also have

a high potassium count. My Dr wants me to have another blood test

tomorrow so I will see what happens. Has anyone had this problem? Arlene--diagnosed

in 2001 and on W & W

At 05:58 PM 9/28/2010, Arlene Diederich

wrote:

but this time I also have

a high potassium count. My Dr wants me to have another blood test

tomorrow so I will see what happens. Has anyone had this problem?

Date: 2010-03-15 09:52:12

Reply:

http://www.cllcfriends.com/reply.php?topic_id=5280

You can get a falsely high potassium with a high white count,

especially if the blood isn't centrifuged immediately after it is

drawn.

Potassium levels can appear abnormally high if the blood sits for too long in the test tube; the red cells can rupture & spill out potassium. This happened to me twice. Maybe that's all it is.

Regards,

Marcia in CA