acid, and vitamin B12 and B6. It wasn't until I went to see a natural

medicine doctor that I was told there was a difference between active

and inactive folic acid.

Thanks,

Charlene

>

> That would be because he doesn't know what the MTHFR is and how it

effects

> those of us with the issue. Frustrating. When are you due?

>

> Steph

>

> >

>

Guest guest

The same goes for B12. There is Hydrox and Methylcobalamin forms. The

Methyl is the reduced form which is also a problem for those of us with the

mutation. Most feel better on the methylform. I did. I do injections and

the hydrox form I didn't feel a change but when I started the methyl I did.

Re: MTHFR

> Hi Steph,

>

> I am due April 12th.

>

> Yes, I know it is very frustrating. After I was diagnosed with the

> MTHFR mutation, all I was told to do was to take high doses of folic

> acid, and vitamin B12 and B6. It wasn't until I went to see a natural

> medicine doctor that I was told there was a difference between active

> and inactive folic acid.

>

> Thanks,

> Charlene

>

>

>>

>> That would be because he doesn't know what the MTHFR is and how it

> effects

>> those of us with the issue. Frustrating. When are you due?

>>

>> Steph

>>

>> >

>>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

My prenatal vitamin says this for the B12 form (100 mcg as

Adenosylocabalamin and 100 mcg as Methylcobalamin). So, are you

familiar with that first form?

> >>

> >> That would be because he doesn't know what the MTHFR is and how

it

> > effects

> >> those of us with the issue. Frustrating. When are you due?

> >>

> >> Steph

> >>

> >> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

I haven't heard of the Adeno form so I looked it up and got this:

adenosylcobalamin

Pronunciation: a-den'o-sil-ko-bal'a-min

A derivative of vitamin B12; its impaired biosynthesis can lead to

methylmalonic acidemia.

The Methylcobalamin is the methylated form which is good for the MTHFR.

I also found this:

Appendix: Non-cyanocobalamin B12 Supplements

Introduction

The typical non-cyanocobalamin forms of vitamin B12 in supplemental forms

are methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin (also known as

5'-deoxyadenosylcobalamin, dibencozide, coenzyme B12, cobamamide, and

cobinamide). Calling adenosylcobalamin " co-enzyme B12 " is somewhat

misleading because methylcobalam is also a co-enzyme from of B12.

Hydroxocobalamin is the form typically used in B12 injections.

Some researchers question whether these non-cyanocobalamin supplements are

stable in their oral form. For this reason, much larger amounts are

typically used with hope that at least some are absorbed intact. One study

suggests that once absorbed, methylcobalamin may be retained in the body

better than cyanocobalamin.30

Steph

Re: MTHFR

> My prenatal vitamin says this for the B12 form (100 mcg as

> Adenosylocabalamin and 100 mcg as Methylcobalamin). So, are you

> familiar with that first form?

>

Guest guest

A good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will

also carry mutations in COMT. COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream

medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even

bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation. In practical

terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors

(just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic

acid). When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12

(even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is

not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things)

but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12

including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano. Adults and children following Dr

Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol (where iodoral is also used but in much

lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes

and forms” of B12. The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals

are particularly strong and effective. Folate status and B12 status are

monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova

Diagnostics.

All of this to say only that...you can indeed raise B12

levels with other routes and forms (people use nasal sprays, chewing gums,

throat sprays, sublingual drops – in addition to hydroxy shots) and that

the methyl form may not be the best form for all folks – even folks who

carry MTHFR mutations (either C677T or A1298C)

Josie

www.leadingorganicskincare.com

Certified Organic Products for the Whole Family

Guest guest

Hi Josie,

Is there a test for COMT? If there is .. is this something that should be tested at the same time as MTHFR?

Thanks,

Glo

From: Josie <josie.nelson@...>Subject: Re: MTHFRiodine Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AM

A good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will also carry mutations in COMT. COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation. In practical terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors (just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic acid). When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12 (even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things) but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12 including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano. Adults and children following Dr Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol

(where iodoral is also used but in much lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes and forms” of B12. The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals are particularly strong and effective. Folate status and B12 status are monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova Diagnostics.

All of this to say only that...you can indeed raise B12 levels with other routes and forms (people use nasal sprays, chewing gums, throat sprays, sublingual drops – in addition to hydroxy shots) and that the methyl form may not be the best form for all folks – even folks who carry MTHFR mutations (either C677T or A1298C)

Josie

www.leadingorganics kincare.com

Guest guest

It is a test you can do. The issue with B12 appears to be associated with the C677T mutation of the MTHFR. I will have to refer to Amy Yasko's book "Genetic Bypass" to make sure. But I remember reading it and thinking it does not apply to me (or now my hubby) because we have the A1298C mutation.

Re: MTHFRiodine Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AM

A good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will also carry mutations in COMT. COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation. In practical terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors (just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic acid). When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12 (even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things) but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12 including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano. Adults and children following Dr Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol (where iodoral is also used but in much lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes and forms” of B12. The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals are particularly strong and effective. Folate status and B12 status are monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova Diagnostics.

All of this to say only that...you can indeed raise B12 levels with other routes and forms (people use nasal sprays, chewing gums, throat sprays, sublingual drops – in addition to hydroxy shots) and that the methyl form may not be the best form for all folks – even folks who carry MTHFR mutations (either C677T or A1298C)

Josie

Guest guest

Hi Steph,

Do you know if there are any other "indications" of COMT? Don't you think that this is something that would (already) be considered by Dr. B? Do you think that I should follow up on this? (Ask Dr. B about?) So far, myself and dad have tested positive for the C677T MTHFR mutation.

Thanks,

Glo

From: Josie <josie.nelson@ earthlink. net>Subject: Re: MTHFRiodinegroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AM

A good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will also carry mutations in COMT. COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation. In practical terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors (just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic acid). When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12 (even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things) but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12 including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano. Adults and children following Dr Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol

(where iodoral is also used but in much lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes and forms” of B12. The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals are particularly strong and effective. Folate status and B12 status are monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova Diagnostics.

Josie

Guest guest

Dr B and I talked about this on Friday and there are 34 different mutations that the MTHFR can have. They only test for the A1298C and C677T - I am not sure if this is just due to lab limitations which I suspect it is since when he orders the labs he writes MTHFR on it and all you get are those two. He said that this whole research on the mutation has been going on for about 10 years and he has been following it but the testing for it has only recently become less expensive so he could begin to test more frequently.

What he warned me about all this gene testing is that you can do more and more and yes you get more info but you really only need to deal with the critical issues. For Amy Yasko she works with autistic children and that is her mission. Many of these kids are totally non-functional and then I would say it is worth it but in our case it is not worth it to test further. IF you have the mutation then deal with it. Go by how your body feels in many ways. For me I took the non-methyl form of B12 and felt nothing. Changed to the Methyl form and felt better. So what do you think my body needs?

We can test ourselves to death. It just isn't necessary.

Re: MTHFRiodinegroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AM

A good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will also carry mutations in COMT. COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation. In practical terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors (just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic acid). When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12 (even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things) but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12 including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano. Adults and children following Dr Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol (where iodoral is also used but in much lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes and forms” of B12. The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals are particularly strong and effective. Folate status and B12 status are monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova Diagnostics.

Josie

Guest guest

Yes, I totally agree.

But .. am wondering .. our 28 yr. old son, has only (just recently .. in the past 3 or 4 yrs.) been diagnosed with Asperger's. So maybe Dr. B will think that test would be indicated?

Thanks for your response! I guess I will think about this a bit more...

Glo

From: Josie <josie.nelson@ earthlink. net>Subject: Re: MTHFRiodinegroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AM

Josie

Guest guest

I can tell you what he has said to me with my son. Pretend that they have it and use the supplements needed and see if it helps. We have not tested Dawson for MTHFR yet we give him the DMG complete. It has helped so we are assuming he has it and will test when he gets into his upper teens when it is important. Insurance will not cover all this stuff for kids because they are not at risk for cardio issues which is the only reason Insurance covers the testing for adults. It's crazy.

Steph

Josie

Guest guest

I got my DNA test of all DNA from Sciona,  www.sciona.comin Boulder CO. and it cost about $300.I only suggest them because they do a comprehensive health assessment & genetic profile.(Best to be interpreted by a doctor.)PS.  I am positive for the C677T/MTHFRAliOn Oct 13, 2008, at 6:11 AM, ladybugsandbees wrote: Dr B and I talked about this on Friday and there are 34 different mutations that the MTHFR can have. They only test for the A1298C and C677T - I am not sure if this is just due to lab limitations which I suspect it is since when he orders the labs he writes MTHFR on it and all you get are those two.  He said that this whole research on the mutation has been going on for about 10 years and he has been following it but the testing for it has only recently become less expensive so he could begin to test more frequently.   What he warned me about all this gene testing is that you can do more and more and yes you get more info but you really only need to deal with the critical issues.  For Amy Yasko she works with autistic children and that is her mission.  Many of these kids are totally non-functional and then I would say it is worth it but in our case it is not worth it to test further.  IF you have the mutation then deal with it.  Go by how your body feels in many ways.  For me I took the non-methyl form of B12 and felt nothing.  Changed to the Methyl form and felt better.  So what do you think my body needs?    We can test ourselves to death.  It just isn't necessary.   Re: MTHFRiodinegroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AM A good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will also carry mutations in COMT.  COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation.  In practical terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors (just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic acid).  When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12 (even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things) but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12 including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano.  Adults and children following Dr Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol (where iodoral is also used but in much lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes and forms” of B12.  The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals are particularly strong and effective.  Folate status and B12 status are monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova Diagnostics. All of this to say only that...you can indeed raise B12 levels with other routes and forms (people use nasal sprays, chewing gums, throat sprays, sublingual drops – in addition to hydroxy shots) and that the methyl form may not be the best form for all folks – even folks who carry MTHFR mutations (either C677T or A1298C)   Josie www.leadingorganics kincare.com Certified Organic Products for the Whole Family

Guest guest

Does  the DMG complete have both the other forms of B12 & Folic Acid?AliOn Oct 13, 2008, at 6:33 AM, ladybugsandbees wrote:I can tell you what he has said to me with my son.  Pretend that they have it and use the supplements needed and see if it helps.  We have not tested Dawson for MTHFR yet we give him the DMG complete.  It has helped so we are assuming he has it and will test when he gets into his upper teens when it is important.  Insurance will not cover all this stuff for kids because they are not at risk for cardio issues which is the only reason Insurance covers the testing for adults.  It's crazy.  Steph Re: MTHFRTo: iodinegroups (DOT) comDate: Monday, October 13, 2008, 7:41 AMA good percentage of people who carry mutations in MTHFR will also carry mutations in COMT.  COMT mutations are understood in the mainstream medical literature to be statistically associated with depression and even bipolar; and they have to do with dopamine regulation.  In practical terms, people with COMT mutations have trouble handling too many methyl donors (just as those with MTHFR mutations have trouble with synthetic folate/folic acid).  When supplementing, some people find that the methyl form of B12 (even if methylmalonic acid is high in urine and deficiency has been shown) is not well tolerated (can lead to a “bad” hyper among other things) but that MMA levels an be reduced by utilizing high doses of other forms of B12 including hydroxyl, adenosyl and cyano.  Adults and children following Dr Amy Yasko’s nutrigenomic protocol (where iodoral is also used but in much lower doses than are typically recommended here) often take many “routes and forms” of B12.  The hydroxyl B12 drops by scientific Botanicals are particularly strong and effective.  Folate status and B12 status are monitored by testing MMA and FIGLU in urine on a MAP test by Genova Diagnostics. All of this to say only that...you can indeed raise B12 levels with other routes and forms (people use nasal sprays, chewing gums, throat sprays, sublingual drops – in addition to hydroxy shots) and that the methyl form may not be the best form for all folks – even folks who carry MTHFR mutations (either C677T or A1298C)Josiewww.leadingorganics kincare.comCertified Organic Products for the Whole Family

Guest guest

It has the methyl B12, folinic acid and choline

Steph

Josie

Guest guest

For those who asked....The Yasko test can be purchased here:

www.holisticheal.com (click on

nutrigenomic testing).

As far as the MTHFR stand alones not being covered for

kids...not sure that is always true. In my experience docs can get the

699 test covered but have a harder time getting the 1298 covered as the 699 is

the one more readily associated with high homocysteine and heart disease down

the road (whereas someone like Yasko believes the 1298 is actually the more severe

of the 2). I know we got it covered when my daughter and I were both tested

for MTHFR 699 (and she was only 2 at the time!)

As far as Yasko’s mission being about ASD kids who may

be non-functional, I would have to disagree with you! Her practice was

primarily adults with auto-immune as well as a few competitive athletes. Her

work with ASD kids was almost accidental and has now become the majority of

what she does...but it was not the impetus for her program or her work. She

would be the first to say that it is “not just about autism” and

she expresses that beautifully on the home page here: http://www.dramyyasko.com/Welcome.html

I agree with Dr B’s basic premise that more testing is

not necessarily better and clinical results are important and etc etc, but

Yasko’s panel does something quite different from some of these other

panels. That is to say, she takes a look at some of the SNPs that make up

the methylation cycle, arguing that supplementing around those SNPs in

particular (and in a specific fashion) can lead to detox and better health

overall. Before she adds a SNP to the panel she spends a great deal of

time studying whether the outcome of the new SNP would really give new info

that would lead to changes in treatment. If she doesnt think the results would “add”

anything she does not add it to the panel.

There are quite a few adults who do the Yasko program and on

the forum www.ch3nutrigenomics.com

there is an adult forum. In the introductory files there you can also

find the most up to date info about her program as it has evolved. The

Puzzle book has a number of gaps and was written hastily (and she is currently

in the process of having it re-written and streamlining the program

overall...working with a technical writer).

Now all of that said, there are any number of insights that

can be gained from “studying” the program without going as far as

complete nutrigenomic testing and the regular (and typically uncovered by

insurance) testing that helps to guide the supplementation. There are

many adults, for example, who have the genetics on their children and who can

then back into (for the most part) some of the likely genetics for themselves. These

can help guide supplement decisions even in otherwise healthy adults and help

mitigate chances of illness down the road (actually Yasko talks of this often

when she speaks of supplementing her own 3 healthy daughters according to their

genomics). One of the most important insights, for example, that many

could benefit from has to do actually with the CBS mutation and how these can

make dealing with sulfury compound more difficult. People with CBS

mutations often have high levels of ammonia when the CBS is unchecked,,,and

these folks often do better with a lower protein diet as well as moderate

levels of B6 (ie no high B6) and keeping ammonia in check overall.

As far as being a non-responder to hydroxyl cobalamin and a

responder to methyl...I absolutely agree you have to go with what works...and

that it is also often best to troubleshoot the possibilities. So someone

who does well on MB12 may not carry the COMT mutation...or may indeed carry

COMT but have “room” in terms of how many methyl donors the person

is taking either in supplement form or in the typical diet. Alternatively

someone who saw “nothing” with Hydroxy but “something”

with methyl...well that could mean methyl is the best form for that person...or

it could simply mean that the form of hydroxy was not bioavailable. For

anyone looking to try hydroxyl...more than the sublingual tablets...I would

highly recommend the liquid drops from Scientific Botanicals. And I “know”

there will be those who try methyl B12 and find that it makes them hyper in the

“bad” way instead of energized in the good way. I am talking

about more than just an adjustment period or the mild discomfort that comes

from initiating detox.

Also as far as Yasko and B12...the typical Yasko kid/adult

is taking many routes and forms of B12...so adenosyl in the form of

Dibencozide, hydroxy in the form of liquid drops and/or injections and/or

sublinguals, cyano in the form of the Patch and methyl either as a stand alone

if no COMT issues or at bare minimum as part of certain folate supps.

Anyway, sorry to take up so much space on this issue as I

know you try to keep it to iodine. Just seemed like an area where it made

sense for me to jump in...as opposed to the daily iodine discussions where I am

mostly absorbing/learning!

Josie

www.leadingorganicskincare.com

Guest guest

The C677T is for heart conditions. The A1298C is for the inability to process Folate, B12 and detox toxins from the body. It is also linked to the inability to create the tyrosine, seretonin and meletonin cycles. I have attached the MTHFR chart. It is located in the middle in a blue box and when this breaks down everything around it does as well.

Interesting that you have had thyroid cancer and have praternal members with paranoid schizophrenia. I had thyroid cancer and my father had paranoid schizophrenia. Unfortunately he died in 1998 and I have no idea what gene defect he had. My mom is positive for the A1298C as well.

MTHFR

Hi, I noticed there was some past discussion about MTHFR mutation. I tried to find the answer to my question by searching past posts, but I don't think I did:Does anyone know what it means to be positive for one copy of the A1298C mutation? It said I am heterozygous for the A1298c mutation and do not have the C677T mutation.(I am thyroidless from cancer and hashimotos. My son has autism with very low ferritin, and his MTHFR results are pending from a recent blood draw. My paternal grandmother and aunt had paranoid schizophrenia which my doc believes they may have had MTHFR mutations - they were never tested - this all happened in the olden day.)

Guest guest

Which MTHFR defect do you have? How many copies of it? Does this mean I need

to supplement extra folate and B12 - having one copy? (I couldn't open the

attachment for some reason).

OMG, I can't believe the schizophrenia relation.

Thank you,

>

> The C677T is for heart conditions. The A1298C is for the inability to process

Folate, B12 and detox toxins from the body. It is also linked to the inability

to create the tyrosine, seretonin and meletonin cycles. I have attached the

MTHFR chart. It is located in the middle in a blue box and when this breaks

down everything around it does as well.

>

> Interesting that you have had thyroid cancer and have praternal members with

paranoid schizophrenia. I had thyroid cancer and my father had paranoid

schizophrenia. Unfortunately he died in 1998 and I have no idea what gene

defect he had. My mom is positive for the A1298C as well.

>

>

>

>

> MTHFR

>

>

> Hi, I noticed there was some past discussion about MTHFR mutation. I tried

to find the answer to my question by searching past posts, but I don't think I

did:

>

> Does anyone know what it means to be positive for one copy of the A1298C

mutation? It said I am heterozygous for the A1298c mutation and do not have the

C677T mutation.

>

> (I am thyroidless from cancer and hashimotos. My son has autism with very

low ferritin, and his MTHFR results are pending from a recent blood draw. My

paternal grandmother and aunt had paranoid schizophrenia which my doc believes

they may have had MTHFR mutations - they were never tested - this all happened

in the olden day.)

>

Guest guest

I have the A1298C - one copy. I supplement with Methyl B12 shots, Folinic Acid, DMG and Choline. Yes the schizophrenia is related to this. It makes me sad because with what I know now I could have helped my dad I believe. :(

Steph

MTHFR> > > Hi, I noticed there was some past discussion about MTHFR mutation. I tried to find the answer to my question by searching past posts, but I don't think I did:> > Does anyone know what it means to be positive for one copy of the A1298C mutation? It said I am heterozygous for the A1298c mutation and do not have the C677T mutation.> > (I am thyroidless from cancer and hashimotos. My son has autism with very low ferritin, and his MTHFR results are pending from a recent blood draw. My paternal grandmother and aunt had paranoid schizophrenia which my doc believes they may have had MTHFR mutations - they were never tested - this all happened in the olden day.)>

Guest guest

Is there another gene defect which causes schizophrenia which is related to

methionine cycle? I have read some info from Pfeiffer's studies. I am

wondering which gene defect corresponds to his undermethylated-high

histamine type.These people need to supplement methionine and calcium and

don't do well on folic acid according to Pfeiffer.

thanks

nil

Re: Re: MTHFR

I have the A1298C - one copy. I supplement with Methyl B12 shots, Folinic

Acid, DMG and Choline. Yes the schizophrenia is related to this. It makes

me sad because with what I know now I could have helped my dad I believe.

:(

Guest guest

I don't know. High copper is associated with it too.

Steph

Re: Re: MTHFRI have the A1298C - one copy. I supplement with Methyl B12 shots, Folinic Acid, DMG and Choline. Yes the schizophrenia is related to this. It makes me sad because with what I know now I could have helped my dad I believe. :(