RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

MTHFR

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Dave,

I'm trying to figure the same thing out - I realize that this mutation - to do with methylation - is significant for our family as well. Our children are in their twenties and mid teens and haven't been subjected to quite as heavy a vaccine schedule as children born today - and they are not autistic. But they've had some unusual medical problems, in my opinion. Many autistic children have this same mutation - as do those with alzheimer's and other neurological conditions. The common denominator seems to be that this mutation (unless you supplement appropriately) leads to more difficulty than the norm in excreting environmental toxins - including some of the toxic ingredients of vaccines.

One of my children, for example, was given a hepatitis and a typhoid vaccine three days before an endoscopy to rule out celiac (her IBS had actually started months earlier - it turns out - after she was given a hot lot tetanus booster while on Accutane). It took me three years to actually start asking questions about the vaccine schedule and to begin to figure all this out.

Well, two days after the endoscopy - where they use iodine stain to look at your esaphogus, stomach, and small intestine - she became acutely ill with high fever, CNS symptoms, bone and joint pain - and violent diarrhea. Her health went downhill dramatically from that point on - chronic diarrhea - everything went through her, weight loss, severe carpal tunnel type symptoms, headaches, and widespread tendonitis and shin splints, and plantar faciitis in just about every joint. No help from any doctors. I think she was in some kind of thyroid shock/distress for a very long time. But no one apparently thought to test for that. It was a beyond scary time. I've been forced to try to educate myself on this stuff.

Accutane I've now learned can impair the thyroid - and some Accutane deposits in tissue - so its effects can last a long time. Mercury and thimerasol impair the thyroid. And she wasn't a very efficient metabolizer of those toxins injected into her body three days before the endoscopy - so they were still in her system at the time she was flooded with iodine stain.

Studying the work of those who reverse autism - Defeat Autism Now (DAN!) doctors - has been really helpful. So is the work of Dr. Amy Yasko - who does the genetic testing (holisticheal.com) and gives you a lot of information on how to make up for genetic mutations with supplementation - and to undo a lot of damage. She works mostly with those with autism, chronic fatique, Parkinson's etc. Her work is complicated - but it's a good source of information - and for many you can get the information and help you need without getting involved in following her full program.

She starts off right away by guiding the support of the MTHFR and related mutations.

I've only recently begun to figure out and look into this thyroid/iodine link and I realize it's very relevant to this mutation even though our children are okay now and apparently have normal thyroid panels, thank goodness.

But they're young - and I've also started to realize that it is important to be aware of exposure to iodine and certain toxins both in the environment but also in certain medical settings including surgeries where you get painted with an iodine solution and the instruments have been sterilized in iodine. This could be a level of exposure many have not thought of.

Apparently a lot of newborns today upon newborn testing are shown to have congenital hypothyroidism. Then they're retested a few days later - and it shows as normal. This happened to our son I've just learned. In his case - I was slathered with iodine - labor induced with pitocin, epidural, epesiotomy, hemmoroids. And they use iodine for the umbilical cord area of the infant. Proportionally that can be a big hit to a little body. And all this iodine slathered on the mother goes right to the breast milk. Hence the infant gets flooded.

Supposedly the long term effects are not known - although I've also read it is thought to cause neurological damage. Apparently the policy is not to inform the parents that this has occurred because it can upset them.

I think it's better to know.

So - Dr. Amy Yasko provides a wealth of information on this mutation though not in terms of thyroid per se. It would be really great to see someone pick up and do more investigation as it relates to thyroid.

And secondly - especially if you have this mutation - look at your vaccine history and your medical history with new insight. Maybe you'll learn something in connection with periods of impaired methylation and impaired thyroid function and exposure to high levels of iodine you may not thought of before.

EdieGas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Guest guest

If you go back to the website, you'll see that you can buy her books and DVDs of various talks she's given. A good place to start is with her book, Genetic Bypass. It can all seem overwhelming and confusing in the beginning - but it may be enough to just focus on the information on the MTHFR.

You can also order nutrigenomic testing for yourself. We got ours actually through genelex.com, but are retesting now through Dr. Yasko for a little more precise guidance.

Another great source of information - at no cost - is her website - ch3nutrigenomics.com. You can browse through all the posts by people following her protocols and by Dr. Yasko herself. You can also try the following . I find the files of many of these groups are very helpful; and of course the members offer a lot of information:

CFSYasko

Simplified_protocol_support ------- this is a good one with a much simplified regime - and it may be enough for you

YaskoEurope

YaskoProtocol

Good luck! I have followed this closely for a while now. I don't get it all - but what I have learned and applied so far has been really helpful! And at the end of the day - in my opinion - it empowers you to know how to help yourself with nutrition and supplements because you know enough of your genetics to know where some of the vulnerabilities might be.

Edie

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Guest guest

What is MTHFR?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:15 AM, kurrykid <kurrykid@...> wrote:

Hello,Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked about MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the issue.I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and how

they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how they are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also thinks is likely what my problem is.He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the Internet as

related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy is all I can find).I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone out here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem and

what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been done to confirm the diagnosis?Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Dave

Guest guest

Methylene Tetra Hydro Folate Reductase - An enzyme that effects the metabolism of Folate to the reduced form of 5-Tetra...... It effects Homocystine levels if you have the C677T mutation or in the case of the one I have it makes you more susceptible to cancer, autism, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's and more. It is part of the methylation cycle and doesn't allow for processing of thyroid hormones and detoxification. It also effects mood levels. I attached the cycle chart. You can see that MTHFR is in the middle. The processes run like a figure 8 through the loops. When the MTHFR has a mutation the process gets stuck. It is not completely "down" but functions at a very low level.

Re: MTHFR

What is MTHFR?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:15 AM, kurrykid <kurrykid@...> wrote:

Hello,Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked about MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the issue.I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and how they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how they are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also thinks is likely what my problem is.He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the Internet as related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy is all I can find).I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone out here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem and what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been done to confirm the diagnosis?Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Dave

Guest guest

Isn't MTHFR the methylene-tetra-hydro-folate-reductase genetic polymorphism? The traditional "treatment" then is more of folic acid. But folic acid in high dose is said to be harmful. So folate (the natural form of folic acid--folic acid being the synthetic form) is the right thing.

Ratan.-----------------Ratan SinghPhone: 91 141 2652561Address: 7- NA- 16Jawahar NagarJaipur- 302004 INDIA----------- Certificate in Food & Nutrition; Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education.- Author of "Nutrition & Supplements in Major Mental Illnesses";- M.A. (Psychol), Postgraduate Diploma in Medical & Social Psychology, Ph.D.;- Certified Behavior Therapist (from late Prof. J. Wolpe's Unit, Temple University Medical School, Philadelphia, USA);- Hypnotist, Biofeedback and Meditation Therapist.- Family, Marital and Sex Therapist.->Consultant Nutritional & Clinical Psychologist in Jaipur Hospital, India.psych_58@..., www.jaipurmart.com/trade/meditationandhealth, www.ejcbs.commeditationandcancer-subscribeegroups--- On Thu,

6/26/08, ladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote:

From: ladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...>Subject: Re: MTHFRiodine Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 8:59 PM

Hi Dave - I am (owner of the group and patient of Dr. B's). He and I have been doing research on this issue. I was dx'd with the 1298C version of this mutation. We suspect my son has it as well since he did better when we put him on Dr B's new DMG supplement.I don't have time to comment right now but I have charts of pathways, etc that will help you. I am running out the door but will send it to you later. MTHFR> Hello,>> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked about> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with

the issue.>> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and how> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how they> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also thinks> is likely what my problem is.>> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the Internet as> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy is all> I can find).>> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone out> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem and> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been done to> confirm the diagnosis?>> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.>> Dave>>>> ------------ --------- --------- ------>>>>>

Links>>>

Guest guest

How do I get to the attachment...I can't seem to find the link?

Thanks.

>

> Hello,

>

> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked

about

> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the

issue.

>

> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and

how

> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how

they

> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also

thinks

> is likely what my problem is.

>

> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the

Internet as

> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy

is all

> I can find).

>

> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone

out

> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem

and

> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been

done to

> confirm the diagnosis?

>

> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

>

> Dave

>

Guest guest

Dr. B. has also put me on DMG and MSM. Have you had any improvements

with the DMG? If so, how long before you noticed a difference and

what kind of things has it improved?

If your a patient of Dr. B's, you must be fairly close so we could be

neighbors :-)

Anyway, thanks for the comments. Anything else you can provide would

be greatly appreciated.

Dave

>

> Hi Dave - I am (owner of the group and patient of Dr.

B's). He

> and I have been doing research on this issue. I was dx'd with the

1298C

> version of this mutation. We suspect my son has it as well since

he did

> better when we put him on Dr B's new DMG supplement.

>

> I don't have time to comment right now but I have charts of

pathways, etc

> that will help you. I am running out the door but will send it to

you

> later.

>

>

>

> MTHFR

>

>

> > Hello,

> >

> > Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked

about

> > MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the issue.

> >

> > I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and how

> > they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how they

> > are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also

thinks

> > is likely what my problem is.

> >

> > He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the Internet

as

> > related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy is

all

> > I can find).

> >

> > I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone out

> > here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem

and

> > what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been

done to

> > confirm the diagnosis?

> >

> > Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

> >

> > Dave

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Thanks Edie...I really appreciate you taking the time to send this

information. I went to Dr. Amy's website and I can't seem to find

anything about MTHFR...it just looks like a place to buy supplements

and videos. Do you know if she has some information on her site

about MTHFR?

Thanks again.

Dave

>

> Hi Dave,

>

> I'm trying to figure the same thing out - I realize that this

mutation - to

> do with methylation - is significant for our family as well. Our

children

> are in their twenties and mid teens and haven't been subjected to

quite as

> heavy a vaccine schedule as children born today - and they are not

autistic. But

> they've had some unusual medical problems, in my opinion. Many

autistic

> children have this same mutation - as do those with alzheimer's

and other

> neurological conditions. The common denominator seems to be that

this mutation

> (unless you supplement appropriately) leads to more difficulty

than the norm in

> excreting environmental toxins - including some of the toxic

ingredients of

> vaccines.

>

> One of my children, for example, was given a hepatitis and a

typhoid vaccine

> three days before an endoscopy to rule out celiac (her IBS had

actually

> started months earlier - it turns out - after she was given a hot

lot tetanus

> booster while on Accutane). It took me three years to actually

start asking

> questions about the vaccine schedule and to begin to figure all

this out.

>

> Well, two days after the endoscopy - where they use iodine stain to

look at

> your esaphogus, stomach, and small intestine - she became acutely

ill with

> high fever, CNS symptoms, bone and joint pain - and violent

diarrhea. Her

> health went downhill dramatically from that point on - chronic

diarrhea -

> everything went through her, weight loss, severe carpal tunnel type

symptoms,

> headaches, and widespread tendonitis and shin splints, and plantar

faciitis in just

> about every joint. No help from any doctors. I think she was in

some kind

> of thyroid shock/distress for a very long time. But no one

apparently

> thought to test for that. It was a beyond scary time. I've been

forced to try to

> educate myself on this stuff.

>

> Accutane I've now learned can impair the thyroid - and some

Accutane

> deposits in tissue - so its effects can last a long time. Mercury

and thimerasol

> impair the thyroid. And she wasn't a very efficient metabolizer

of those

> toxins injected into her body three days before the endoscopy - so

they were still

> in her system at the time she was flooded with iodine stain.

>

> Studying the work of those who reverse autism - Defeat Autism Now

(DAN!)

> doctors - has been really helpful. So is the work of Dr. Amy Yasko -

who does

> the genetic testing (holisticheal.com) and gives you a lot of

information on how

> to make up for genetic mutations with supplementation - and to

undo a lot of

> damage. She works mostly with those with autism, chronic

fatique,

> Parkinson's etc. Her work is complicated - but it's a good source

of information -

> and for many you can get the information and help you need without

getting

> involved in following her full program.

>

> She starts off right away by guiding the support of the MTHFR and

related

> mutations.

>

> I've only recently begun to figure out and look into this

thyroid/iodine

> link and I realize it's very relevant to this mutation even though

our children

> are okay now and apparently have normal thyroid panels, thank

goodness.

>

> But they're young - and I've also started to realize that it is

important to

> be aware of exposure to iodine and certain toxins both in the

environment

> but also in certain medical settings including surgeries where you

get painted

> with an iodine solution and the instruments have been sterilized

in iodine.

> This could be a level of exposure many have not thought of.

>

> Apparently a lot of newborns today upon newborn testing are shown

to have

> congenital hypothyroidism. Then they're retested a few days later -

and it

> shows as normal. This happened to our son I've just learned. In

his case - I

> was slathered with iodine - labor induced with pitocin, epidural,

epesiotomy,

> hemmoroids. And they use iodine for the umbilical cord area of

the infant.

> Proportionally that can be a big hit to a little body. And all

this iodine

> slathered on the mother goes right to the breast milk. Hence the

infant gets

> flooded.

>

> Supposedly the long term effects are not known - although I've also

read it

> is thought to cause neurological damage. Apparently the policy is

not to

> inform the parents that this has occurred because it can upset them.

>

> I think it's better to know.

>

> So - Dr. Amy Yasko provides a wealth of information on this

mutation though

> not in terms of thyroid per se. It would be really great to see

someone pick

> up and do more investigation as it relates to thyroid.

>

> And secondly - especially if you have this mutation - look at your

vaccine

> history and your medical history with new insight. Maybe you'll

learn

> something in connection with periods of impaired methylation and

impaired thyroid

> function and exposure to high levels of iodine you may not thought

of before.

>

> Edie

>

>

>

> **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for

> fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos.aol.com/used?

ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

>

Guest guest

I live in the Grand Rapids MI area. I am a thyca patient and Dr. B has been

helping me for the last 2 1/2 years. 3 RAI's almost killed me. He also

dx'd my two kids withy hypo T too. If you have seen his last two DVD's you

have seen me. I also helped him edit his Iodine book and Thyroid book last

year.

As for the DMG - I noticed a change in my son's attention (he is 8 1/2) in 4

days. In about 1 week I noticed that I had more stamina in my workouts. I

was also stronger when doing my weights. I also take the MSM but am having

a hard time with it. I feel kind of sick to my stomach if I take all 4 so I

cut it to 2 / day. I seem to detox a little faster with it and I don't feel

well when I do this. Other than this I don't feel much change. I need to

take the DMG Complete because of the gene defect. The folate is needed

since I can't methylate it.

MTHFR

>>

>>

>> > Hello,

>> >

>> > Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked

> about

>> > MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the issue.

>> >

>> > I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and how

>> > they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how they

>> > are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also

> thinks

>> > is likely what my problem is.

>> >

>> > He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the Internet

> as

>> > related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy is

> all

>> > I can find).

>> >

>> > I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone out

>> > here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem

> and

>> > what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been

> done to

>> > confirm the diagnosis?

>> >

>> > Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

>> >

>> > Dave

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > ------------------------------------

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

Guest guest

Dave the link she gave is not Dr. Amy Yasko's website. This is her website

http://www.dramyyasko.com/Welcome.html Look at her presentation

powerpoints and you will see a lot of info. I have read her Genetic Bypass

book. It is difficult reading and I don't recommend it. You really need to

know your entire genetic makeup to make it worth anything. I only know of

one gene mutation. They have a lot of testing you can order on the other

website but it gets too expensive to do all this stuff.

My father had schizophrenia, then got cancer. His mother had colon cancer.

His sister had breast cancer. I had thyroid cancer. My mother has

hypothyroidism. Her mother had thyroid nodules and hypoT. My grandfather

had cancer. My husband's mother had Alzheimer's. My husband has hashi's.

My kids are both hypothyroid but no hashi's. So can you see that this gene

is making a mess out of my family tree. We cannot test my kids because

insurance ties it to cardiac risk and children are not at risk. So we are

just treating them as if they have the MTHFR gene mutation since we can see

a mess of medical issues in the family.

www.naturalthyroidchoices.com

> Thanks Edie...I really appreciate you taking the time to send this

> information. I went to Dr. Amy's website and I can't seem to find

> anything about MTHFR...it just looks like a place to buy supplements

> and videos. Do you know if she has some information on her site

> about MTHFR?

>

> Thanks again.

>

> Dave

>

>

>

>>

>> Hi Dave,

>>

>> I'm trying to figure the same thing out - I realize that this

> mutation - to

>> do with methylation - is significant for our family as well. Our

> children

>> are in their twenties and mid teens and haven't been subjected to

> quite as

>> heavy a vaccine schedule as children born today - and they are not

> autistic. But

>> they've had some unusual medical problems, in my opinion. Many

> autistic

>> children have this same mutation - as do those with alzheimer's

> and other

>> neurological conditions. The common denominator seems to be that

> this mutation

>> (unless you supplement appropriately) leads to more difficulty

> than the norm in

>> excreting environmental toxins - including some of the toxic

> ingredients of

>> vaccines.

>>

>> One of my children, for example, was given a hepatitis and a

> typhoid vaccine

>> three days before an endoscopy to rule out celiac (her IBS had

> actually

>> started months earlier - it turns out - after she was given a hot

> lot tetanus

>> booster while on Accutane). It took me three years to actually

> start asking

>> questions about the vaccine schedule and to begin to figure all

> this out.

>>

>> Well, two days after the endoscopy - where they use iodine stain to

> look at

>> your esaphogus, stomach, and small intestine - she became acutely

> ill with

>> high fever, CNS symptoms, bone and joint pain - and violent

> diarrhea. Her

>> health went downhill dramatically from that point on - chronic

> diarrhea -

>> everything went through her, weight loss, severe carpal tunnel type

> symptoms,

>> headaches, and widespread tendonitis and shin splints, and plantar

> faciitis in just

>> about every joint. No help from any doctors. I think she was in

> some kind

>> of thyroid shock/distress for a very long time. But no one

> apparently

>> thought to test for that. It was a beyond scary time. I've been

> forced to try to

>> educate myself on this stuff.

>>

>> Accutane I've now learned can impair the thyroid - and some

> Accutane

>> deposits in tissue - so its effects can last a long time. Mercury

> and thimerasol

>> impair the thyroid. And she wasn't a very efficient metabolizer

> of those

>> toxins injected into her body three days before the endoscopy - so

> they were still

>> in her system at the time she was flooded with iodine stain.

>>

>> Studying the work of those who reverse autism - Defeat Autism Now

> (DAN!)

>> doctors - has been really helpful. So is the work of Dr. Amy Yasko -

> who does

>> the genetic testing (holisticheal.com) and gives you a lot of

> information on how

>> to make up for genetic mutations with supplementation - and to

> undo a lot of

>> damage. She works mostly with those with autism, chronic

> fatique,

>> Parkinson's etc. Her work is complicated - but it's a good source

> of information -

>> and for many you can get the information and help you need without

> getting

>> involved in following her full program.

>>

>> She starts off right away by guiding the support of the MTHFR and

> related

>> mutations.

>>

>> I've only recently begun to figure out and look into this

> thyroid/iodine

>> link and I realize it's very relevant to this mutation even though

> our children

>> are okay now and apparently have normal thyroid panels, thank

> goodness.

>>

>> But they're young - and I've also started to realize that it is

> important to

>> be aware of exposure to iodine and certain toxins both in the

> environment

>> but also in certain medical settings including surgeries where you

> get painted

>> with an iodine solution and the instruments have been sterilized

> in iodine.

>> This could be a level of exposure many have not thought of.

>>

>> Apparently a lot of newborns today upon newborn testing are shown

> to have

>> congenital hypothyroidism. Then they're retested a few days later -

> and it

>> shows as normal. This happened to our son I've just learned. In

> his case - I

>> was slathered with iodine - labor induced with pitocin, epidural,

> epesiotomy,

>> hemmoroids. And they use iodine for the umbilical cord area of

> the infant.

>> Proportionally that can be a big hit to a little body. And all

> this iodine

>> slathered on the mother goes right to the breast milk. Hence the

> infant gets

>> flooded.

>>

>> Supposedly the long term effects are not known - although I've also

> read it

>> is thought to cause neurological damage. Apparently the policy is

> not to

>> inform the parents that this has occurred because it can upset them.

>>

>> I think it's better to know.

>>

>> So - Dr. Amy Yasko provides a wealth of information on this

> mutation though

>> not in terms of thyroid per se. It would be really great to see

> someone pick

>> up and do more investigation as it relates to thyroid.

>>

>> And secondly - especially if you have this mutation - look at your

> vaccine

>> history and your medical history with new insight. Maybe you'll

> learn

>> something in connection with periods of impaired methylation and

> impaired thyroid

>> function and exposure to high levels of iodine you may not thought

> of before.

>>

>> Edie

>>

>>

>>

>> **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for

>> fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos.aol.com/used?

> ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

>>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I wonder if this is reflected in any way in folate levels?

Hello,Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked about MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the issue.I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and how they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how they are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also thinks is likely what my problem is.He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the Internet as related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy is all I can find).I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone out here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem and what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been done to confirm the diagnosis?Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Dave

Guest guest

It is not something that is tested for this I believe. I think that the folate will circulate but not be used.

Steph

I wonder if this is reflected in any way in folate levels?

Guest guest

>

> Hello,

>

> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked

about

> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the

issue.

>

> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and

how

> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how

they

> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also

thinks

> is likely what my problem is.

>

> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the

Internet as

> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy

is all

> I can find).

>

> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone

out

> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem

and

> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been

done to

> confirm the diagnosis?

>

> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

>

> Dave

>

Guest guest

Dr. B is Dr. Brownstein - www.drbrownstein.com He is not accepting new patients currently but his partner Dr. Ng is and he also has the gene mutation and is trying the new DMG product as well. They are located in W. Bloomfield MI (near Detroit) at www.centerforholisticmedicine.com . Dr Ng is also hashi's. You can read about him in Dr. Brownstein's iodine book. There isn't much about this because I think we are just beginning to find out all the issues with this mutation. Did you get my methylation chart? It is below. You will need to look at the circle to the right. That is where the detoxification happens. You need to have the glutathione working to detox heavy metals. That is why kids with autism have issues post thimerisol injections. To the left you will see Tyrosine and that is your thyroid cycle. Remember that if it is stuck in the middle all systems around it get bogged down. I wish I could give you more info but there is just too much on this chart to go through it one by one. You will need to look at each item and do some research (google) on your own. I would do it if I could sit down with you face to face but I just can't do it in writing. There is too much.

Steph

> >> >> Hello,>> >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked > about >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the > issue.>> >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and > how >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how > they >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also > thinks >> is likely what my problem is.>> >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the > Internet as >> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy > is all >> I can find).>> >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone > out >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem > and >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been > done to >> confirm the diagnosis?>> >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.>> >> Dave>>> > > > ------------------------------------> > > > >

Guest guest

steph..

Big thank you and a HUG!! my doc that dx this is in Troy MI, I will

do what you said ..I see a light at the end of the tunnel.. :)

> >>

> >> Hello,

> >>

> >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I

asked

> > about

> >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the

> > issue.

> >>

> >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR

and

> > how

> >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and

how

> > they

> >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also

> > thinks

> >> is likely what my problem is.

> >>

> >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the

> > Internet as

> >> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about

pregnancy

> > is all

> >> I can find).

> >>

> >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if

anyone

> > out

> >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this

problem

> > and

> >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been

> > done to

> >> confirm the diagnosis?

> >>

> >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

> >>

> >> Dave

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Steph, I just called about Dr. Ing. They do not take Medicare just so people know. The first visit is $395. and the Labs run into the thousands of dollars. So if you can afford to see him - they have openings starting in Oct. There is also a assoc that helps people find doctors in their area.

The number is 1-203-261-2101.

I called and was only able to leave a message...

steph.. Big thank you and a HUG!! my doc that dx this is in Troy MI, I will do what you said ..I see a light at the end of the tunnel.. :)> >> > >> Hello,> >> > >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked > > about > >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the > > issue.> >> > >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and > > how > >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how > > they > >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also > > thinks > >> is likely what my problem is.> >> > >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the > > Internet as > >>

related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy > > is all > >> I can find).> >> > >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone > > out > >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem > > and > >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been > > done to > >> confirm the diagnosis?> >> > >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.> >> > >> Dave> >>> > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Hi ~

I checked both sites for the DMG product, but it isn't listed for sale. Do you know if it will be, or if there is a way to purchase it?

thanks,

~

-----Original Message-----From: iodine [mailto:iodine ]On Behalf Of ladybugsandbeesSent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:31 PMiodine Subject: Re: Re: MTHFR

Dr. B is Dr. Brownstein - www.drbrownstein.com He is not accepting new patients currently but his partner Dr. Ng is and he also has the gene mutation and is trying the new DMG product as well. They are located in W. Bloomfield MI (near Detroit) at www.centerforholisticmedicine.com . Dr Ng is also hashi's. You can read about him in Dr. Brownstein's iodine book. There isn't much about this because I think we are just beginning to find out all the issues with this mutation. Did you get my methylation chart? It is below. You will need to look at the circle to the right. That is where the detoxification happens. You need to have the glutathione working to detox heavy metals. That is why kids with autism have issues post thimerisol injections. To the left you will see Tyrosine and that is your thyroid cycle. Remember that if it is stuck in the middle all systems around it get bogged down. I wish I could give you more info but there is just too much on this chart to go through it one by one. You will need to look at each item and do some research (google) on your own. I would do it if I could sit down with you face to face but I just can't do it in writing. There is too much.

Guest guest

Yes they do not take any insurance there at all. The labs will be covered if your insurance covers it. They use Quest Labs. My first round of labs was $4,000. I know how expensive they are. Second visit is $85 - there after as well. My husband and two kids all see Dr. Brownstein. It is worth it as he literally saved my life. I would move heaven and earth to keep going to him. I know it is hard for those who do not have insurance or good insurance.

steph.. Big thank you and a HUG!! my doc that dx this is in Troy MI, I will do what you said ..I see a light at the end of the tunnel.. :)> >> > >> Hello,> >> > >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked > > about > >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the > > issue.> >> > >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and > > how > >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how > > they > >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also > > thinks > >> is likely what my problem is.> >> > >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the > > Internet as > >> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy > > is all > >> I can find).> >> > >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone > > out > >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem > > and > >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been > > done to > >> confirm the diagnosis?> >> > >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.> >> > >> Dave> >>> > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

It's Dr. Brownstein's own product. You won't find it there. He has it formulated for his office.

You can google DMG and buy it by itself from another supplier.

Steph

RE: Re: MTHFR

Hi ~

I checked both sites for the DMG product, but it isn't listed for sale. Do you know if it will be, or if there is a way to purchase it?

thanks,

~

-----Original Message-----From: iodine [mailto:iodine ]On Behalf Of ladybugsandbeesSent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:31 PMiodine Subject: Re: Re: MTHFR

Guest guest

Dr. Brownstein and I both read that Genetic Bypass book and neither one of us would recommend it - just an FYI. It really isn't great for the general public plus it is $39.99 so not a cheap book either.

Steph

Re: Re: MTHFR

If you go back to the website, you'll see that you can buy her books and DVDs of various talks she's given. A good place to start is with her book, Genetic Bypass. It can all seem overwhelming and confusing in the beginning - but it may be enough to just focus on the information on the MTHFR.

You can also order nutrigenomic testing for yourself. We got ours actually through genelex.com, but are retesting now through Dr. Yasko for a little more precise guidance.

Another great source of information - at no cost - is her website - ch3nutrigenomics.com. You can browse through all the posts by people following her protocols and by Dr. Yasko herself. You can also try the following . I find the files of many of these groups are very helpful; and of course the members offer a lot of information:

CFSYasko

Simplified_protocol_support ------- this is a good one with a much simplified regime - and it may be enough for you

YaskoEurope

YaskoProtocol

Good luck! I have followed this closely for a while now. I don't get it all - but what I have learned and applied so far has been really helpful! And at the end of the day - in my opinion - it empowers you to know how to help yourself with nutrition and supplements because you know enough of your genetics to know where some of the vulnerabilities might be.

Edie

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Guest guest

I agree that they are worth it. If you have Medicare though, the labs won't be submitted either. So that takes it out of range for me.

Medicare is a real pain in the kisser.

I did call the Compound Pharmacy locally and did get a name of an MD that prescribes Armour and Bio-identicals. I have no clue as to if she uses iodine or not, but I made an apt with her in August. ( no other way to find out)

The 2 Doc of NP did not get back to me, even after 2 phone calls and an email.

Maybe I will heal myself.

steph.. Big thank you and a HUG!! my doc that dx this is in Troy MI, I will do what you said ..I see a light at the end of the tunnel.. :)> >> > >> Hello,> >> > >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked > > about > >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the > > issue.> >> > >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and > > how > >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how > > they > >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also > > thinks > >> is likely what my problem is.> >> > >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the > > Internet as > >>

related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy > > is all > >> I can find).> >> > >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone > > out > >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem > > and > >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been > > done to > >> confirm the diagnosis?> >> > >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.> >> > >> Dave> >>> > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Many do heal themselves. Sad but true.

Steph

steph.. Big thank you and a HUG!! my doc that dx this is in Troy MI, I will do what you said ..I see a light at the end of the tunnel.. :)> >> > >> Hello,> >> > >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I asked > > about > >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the > > issue.> >> > >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR and > > how > >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and how > > they > >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He also > > thinks > >> is likely what my problem is.> >> > >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the > > Internet as > >> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about pregnancy > > is all > >> I can find).> >> > >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if anyone > > out > >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this problem > > and > >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have been > > done to > >> confirm the diagnosis?> >> > >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.> >> > >> Dave> >>> > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Wow! I have the MTFHR C677 and A1289C disorder too! I went to a

hemotologist after some bone loss (avascular necrosis) and a

miscarriage. Just thought there was some connection. She took 17

viles of blood and said I have homecysteinemia. I was told that

could increase my risk for blood clots. She wants me on high dose of

folic acid - 5mg. So it sounds like too much. I don't take that much

but would love to learn more about the connection to the thyroid.

I didn't see the chart you mentioned and where to buy the

right folic acid?

Amazing what we have in common. Where is the best place to get more

information about this? I wonder if my kids should be tested. Do

both parents have to be the carrier? My hand out says it " occurs in

10% of the general population it is either inherited autosomal

recessive disorder caused by deficiency of the enzyme cystathione-B-

synthase or acquired homocysteinemia " . Not sure if that is accurate.

Always more to learn..

Thanks!

> > >>

> > >> Hello,

> > >>

> > >> Val from the Thyroid group referred me over here when I

> asked

> > > about

> > >> MTHFR...she mentioned that was familiar with the

> > > issue.

> > >>

> > >> I am a patient of Dr. B. and he told me this week of MTHFR

> and

> > > how

> > >> they have recently discovered it's role in metabolism and

> how

> > > they

> > >> are finding thyroid patients are having this issue. He

also

> > > thinks

> > >> is likely what my problem is.

> > >>

> > >> He said I wouldn't be able to find much about it on the

> > > Internet as

> > >> related to metabolism and he is right (mostly about

> pregnancy

> > > is all

> > >> I can find).

> > >>

> > >> I looked up a few posts on the topic but I wondered if

> anyone

> > > out

> > >> here has been diagnosed, or at least suspected, of this

> problem

> > > and

> > >> what they are doing about it? Also, any tests that have

been

> > > done to

> > >> confirm the diagnosis?

> > >>

> > >> Any comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

> > >>

> > >> Dave

> > >>

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

Amy Yasko's site is not working for me. Can't open anything but the

classical music by Haydn! How annoying. Is there some setting I am

missing, does anyone else have this problem with the below mentioned

URL, or is it merely a temporary defect at their site? Would love

to learn more about this gene mutation, how it manifests, etc. TIA.

Savvy

> >>

> >> Hi Dave,

> >>

> >> I'm trying to figure the same thing out - I realize that this

> > mutation - to

> >> do with methylation - is significant for our family as well.

Our

> > children

> >> are in their twenties and mid teens and haven't been subjected

to

> > quite as

> >> heavy a vaccine schedule as children born today - and they are

not

> > autistic. But

> >> they've had some unusual medical problems, in my opinion. Many

> > autistic

> >> children have this same mutation - as do those with alzheimer's

> > and other

> >> neurological conditions. The common denominator seems to be

that

> > this mutation

> >> (unless you supplement appropriately) leads to more difficulty

> > than the norm in

> >> excreting environmental toxins - including some of the toxic

> > ingredients of

> >> vaccines.

> >>

> >> One of my children, for example, was given a hepatitis and a

> > typhoid vaccine

> >> three days before an endoscopy to rule out celiac (her IBS had

> > actually

> >> started months earlier - it turns out - after she was given a

hot

> > lot tetanus

> >> booster while on Accutane). It took me three years to actually

> > start asking

> >> questions about the vaccine schedule and to begin to figure all

> > this out.

> >>

> >> Well, two days after the endoscopy - where they use iodine

stain to

> > look at

> >> your esaphogus, stomach, and small intestine - she became

acutely

> > ill with

> >> high fever, CNS symptoms, bone and joint pain - and violent

> > diarrhea. Her

> >> health went downhill dramatically from that point on - chronic

> > diarrhea -

> >> everything went through her, weight loss, severe carpal tunnel

type

> > symptoms,

> >> headaches, and widespread tendonitis and shin splints, and

plantar

> > faciitis in just

> >> about every joint. No help from any doctors. I think she was

in

> > some kind

> >> of thyroid shock/distress for a very long time. But no one

> > apparently

> >> thought to test for that. It was a beyond scary time. I've

been

> > forced to try to

> >> educate myself on this stuff.

> >>

> >> Accutane I've now learned can impair the thyroid - and some

> > Accutane

> >> deposits in tissue - so its effects can last a long time.

Mercury

> > and thimerasol

> >> impair the thyroid. And she wasn't a very efficient metabolizer

> > of those

> >> toxins injected into her body three days before the endoscopy -

so

> > they were still

> >> in her system at the time she was flooded with iodine stain.

> >>

> >> Studying the work of those who reverse autism - Defeat Autism

Now

> > (DAN!)

> >> doctors - has been really helpful. So is the work of Dr. Amy

Yasko -

> > who does

> >> the genetic testing (holisticheal.com) and gives you a lot of

> > information on how

> >> to make up for genetic mutations with supplementation - and to

> > undo a lot of

> >> damage. She works mostly with those with autism, chronic

> > fatique,

> >> Parkinson's etc. Her work is complicated - but it's a good

source

> > of information -

> >> and for many you can get the information and help you need

without

> > getting

> >> involved in following her full program.

> >>

> >> She starts off right away by guiding the support of the MTHFR

and

> > related

> >> mutations.

> >>

> >> I've only recently begun to figure out and look into this

> > thyroid/iodine

> >> link and I realize it's very relevant to this mutation even

though

> > our children

> >> are okay now and apparently have normal thyroid panels, thank

> > goodness.

> >>

> >> But they're young - and I've also started to realize that it is

> > important to

> >> be aware of exposure to iodine and certain toxins both in the

> > environment

> >> but also in certain medical settings including surgeries where

you

> > get painted

> >> with an iodine solution and the instruments have been sterilized

> > in iodine.

> >> This could be a level of exposure many have not thought of.

> >>

> >> Apparently a lot of newborns today upon newborn testing are

shown

> > to have

> >> congenital hypothyroidism. Then they're retested a few days

later -

> > and it

> >> shows as normal. This happened to our son I've just learned.

In

> > his case - I

> >> was slathered with iodine - labor induced with pitocin,

epidural,

> > epesiotomy,

> >> hemmoroids. And they use iodine for the umbilical cord area of

> > the infant.

> >> Proportionally that can be a big hit to a little body. And all

> > this iodine

> >> slathered on the mother goes right to the breast milk. Hence

the

> > infant gets

> >> flooded.

> >>

> >> Supposedly the long term effects are not known - although I've

also

> > read it

> >> is thought to cause neurological damage. Apparently the policy

is

> > not to

> >> inform the parents that this has occurred because it can upset

them.

> >>

> >> I think it's better to know.

> >>

> >> So - Dr. Amy Yasko provides a wealth of information on this

> > mutation though

> >> not in terms of thyroid per se. It would be really great to see

> > someone pick

> >> up and do more investigation as it relates to thyroid.

> >>

> >> And secondly - especially if you have this mutation - look at

your

> > vaccine

> >> history and your medical history with new insight. Maybe you'll

> > learn

> >> something in connection with periods of impaired methylation and

> > impaired thyroid

> >> function and exposure to high levels of iodine you may not

thought

> > of before.

> >>

> >> Edie

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> **************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for

> >> fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos.aol.com/used?

> > ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >