Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had a friend who was taking some bovine diet

stuff from Europe and she did indeed get CJD

from it.

Sherry

Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Ann- I had a dura mater graft put into my jaw joint in '85. I think it came from Germany. There's not a day goes by without me thinking about mad cow disease! Lynn

All-new - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Guest guest

I'm willing to take a pill readily. But not to have shots in my abdomen.

Ann

Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed> > > > teds are those skin tight, white stockings that they put on you before you even wake up from your surgery. They instructed me to keep mine on for the full 2 weeks until I was to go in for my 2 week post op appt. but I have to admit I bucked the system andstopped wearing them after about 5 days. They're just so tight they cut off the circulation around your already swollen thigh and cause you to feel like your foot will turn black and fall off. (in my opionio, of course.)> > What they are for is to prevent you from getting blood clots, so they're really important. But I was sure to move my legs around as much as I could, and really pump my feet and ankles and stuff to keep the blood flowing.> > > > > > __________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________> > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.> http://www.eset.com> > > __________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________> > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.> http://www.eset.com>"the church is not suppose to be a country club for the saints, but rather a hospital for the sinner. "

Guest guest

Gahhhhhh!!!!!

Ann

Ann- I had a dura mater graft put into my jaw joint in '85. I think it came from Germany. There's not a day goes by without me thinking about mad cow disease! Lynn

Guest guest

What med(s) do you use for sleep?

Ann

I am getting caught up on all my magazines that were sitting in 2 foot pile in my office.

Yeah, I have piles of magazines in my bathrooms, my office, my fam. rm. Hope I get caught up on them while I'm lolligagging.

I can't sleep at night, so I read. You are right tho Jack, I could never get into one of the books I keep meaning to read.

I recently went through about 15 boxes of books I hadn't unpacked from my last move (year & a half ago) & culled bout 10 boxes worth of books I know I'll never read. I love to get rid of stuff.

I go to bed at 11 PM and put the light out. I lay there for over an hour and get up to stretch my legs, take a tylenol, and go back to bed.

When I can't get to sleep (if I go to bed too soon after I got up my sleeping pill (Trazodone) won't override my wake center), I take 2 acetamenophin w/Benadryl. If that doesn't work, I add an Ambien (doc said that was OK).

Maybe I fall asleep for 30 to 40 minutes and then I am wide awake again until 3 AM. I then don't wake until 9 AM.

Is this because of pain?

No nap during the day either. I was napping when I first got home, but thought that was the reason for my sleeplessness. I cut it out.Arianne> >> > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR > patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all > day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to > check some things out from the library before the surgery.)> > > > Thanks.> > > > Ann> >>

God bless all our heros

PMSM

LCPL JOSH

India 2nd plt.

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.

Guest guest

We didn't start hearing about MCD until a lot later than that. You're probably OK.

Ann

Guest guest

I still take Darvoset (sp) about once a week when I've

gone a couple or three night without sleep. If I hurt

really bad at night too I take two. They're 100 mg each

so I take two. Most of the time they do the job but

sometimes I wake up after 4 or so hours but usually

go back to sleep. I never take my than two per 24 hours anymore. When I first came home I was on

Vicodin. That made me see pink elephants, get very dizzy and vomit but knocked me out too, I have two

left. I also have a lot of 800 mg Ibuprofen that does

nothing for me. I should throw em out.

Sherry

I am getting caught up on all my magazines that were sitting in 2 foot pile in my office.

Yeah, I have piles of magazines in my bathrooms, my office, my fam. rm. Hope I get caught up on them while I'm lolligagging.

I can't sleep at night, so I read. You are right tho Jack, I could never get into one of the books I keep meaning to read.

I recently went through about 15 boxes of books I hadn't unpacked from my last move (year & a half ago) & culled bout 10 boxes worth of books I know I'll never read. I love to get rid of stuff.

I go to bed at 11 PM and put the light out. I lay there for over an hour and get up to stretch my legs, take a tylenol, and go back to bed.

When I can't get to sleep (if I go to bed too soon after I got up my sleeping pill (Trazodone) won't override my wake center), I take 2 acetamenophin w/Benadryl. If that doesn't work, I add an Ambien (doc said that was OK).

Maybe I fall asleep for 30 to 40 minutes and then I am wide awake again until 3 AM. I then don't wake until 9 AM.

Is this because of pain?

No nap during the day either. I was napping when I first got home, but thought that was the reason for my sleeplessness. I cut it out.Arianne> >> > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR > patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all > day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to > check some things out from the library before the surgery.)> > > > Thanks.> > > > Ann> >>

God bless all our heros

PMSM

LCPL JOSH

India 2nd plt.

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.

Guest guest

I've read on this list ago when I first joined it that the shot

does not hurt much at all. The first thing I thought of when I

heard about needles in the stomach was "rabies shots" which

are thankfully no longer given in the stomach.

I have a natural hate for needles from when I was a kid and

never got over it. It's all I can do to sit still while they take

blood in a doctors office to this day.

Sherry

Sherry

Oh, thank God! It exists in pills. I thought so. After all, rats eat it.

Ann

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

Ann--

When I had my surgeries, there was a clinical trial going on with an anticoagulant pill, taken 3 times a day instead of one injection per day. Since it was a test drug, there's no way to know who made it or what it's called... I have no idea what became of this, it's probably bogged down in the FDA approval procedure. The idea of the pill was to reverse the effects, if necessary, in a shorter time (8 hours instead of 24).

The injection, by the way, is with a short-needled, pre-filled syringe, and injected into the loose skin of the belly, not deep enough to penetrate to the organs, or even the muscle layer.

I don't know why people here call it "rat poison", as far as I know the meds used after surgery are mostly derivatives of heparine. To date, the oral anticoagluants are what they call "Vitamin K antagonists" that work much more slowly (effects after 48 to 72 hours)... Wikipedia says these are the "rat poisons" (gee, now I know!). It also says that they're used mainly for long-term conditions. The drug tested that I mentioned above was a Heparine-based drug, not a Vitamin K inhibitor... that's what made it unique.

Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Ann Sent: 27 August, 2006 8:55 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

I'm willing to take a pill readily. But not to have shots in my abdomen.

Ann

Ann

My mailbox is spam-free with ChoiceMail, the leader in personal and corporate anti-spam solutions. Download your free copy of ChoiceMail from www.digiportal.com.

Guest guest

I had the shots for both surgerys. The first one I had to give them to myself after I got home from rehab. center for 10 days. The second knee I had the shots but was in rehab shorter time and I only had to take an asprin at home. The shots they don't hurt.ShirleyAnn <ruby2zdy@...> wrote:  I'm willing to take a pill readily. But not to have shots in my abdomen. Ann Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed> > > > teds are those skin tight, white stockings that they put on you before you even wake up from your surgery. They instructed me to keep mine on for the full 2 weeks until I was to go in for my 2 week post op appt. but I have to admit I bucked the system andstopped wearing them after about 5 days. They're just so tight they cut off the circulation around your already swollen thigh and cause you to feel like your foot

will turn black and fall off. (in my opionio, of course.)> > What they are for is to prevent you from getting blood clots, so they're really important. But I was sure to move my legs around as much as I could, and really pump my feet and ankles and stuff to keep the blood flowing.> > > > > > __________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________> > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.> http://www.eset.com> > > __________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________> > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.> http://www.eset.com>"the church is not suppose to be a country club for the saints, but rather a hospital for the

sinner. "

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new .com. Check it out.

Guest guest

Rat poison is warfarin, related to coumadin and coumarin, which is the same stuff they give us to prevent post-op pulmonary embolism. Rats get a lot more of it in the bait that we do in shots or pills.

Here's the whole (very interesting) skinny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

Thanks for telling me the injection is subcutaneous, not into the abdominal cavity. I'd still rather take pills, though.

Ann

Ann

Guest guest

Don't believe everything on Wiki. I just read in the past 2

weeks that a lot of the stuff on there is not reliable info...

Go figure.

Sherry

Ann

Guest guest

True. But this was an easily-checked article.

Ann

Ann

Guest guest

We got Clexane here, in injected form. Clexane is a heparine-based drug, not a Vitamin K inhibitor like Warafin. If it's all the same to you, I prefer the injections of heparine to pills made of rat poison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clexane

Greywolf - RTHR-2003; LTHR-2004

mdavison@...

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of Ann Sent: 27 August, 2006 11:07 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Rat poison is warfarin, related to coumadin and coumarin, which is the same stuff they give us to prevent post-op pulmonary embolism. Rats get a lot more of it in the bait that we do in shots or pills.

Here's the whole (very interesting) skinny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

Thanks for telling me the injection is subcutaneous, not into the abdominal cavity. I'd still rather take pills, though.

Ann

Guest guest

This is more applicable to articles related to politics and history than to science and medicine. Look for the little notice at the top of an article, declaring that it is "Under Dispute".

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of S.A.M.Sent: 27 August, 2006 11:38 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Go figure.

Sherry

Guest guest

I didn't know that so thanks. I have only gone to

Wiki once and yes I am heavily into politics.

Sherry

RE: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

This is more applicable to articles related to politics and history than to science and medicine. Look for the little notice at the top of an article, declaring that it is "Under Dispute".

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of S.A.M.Sent: 27 August, 2006 11:38 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Go figure.

Sherry

Guest guest

I also found that after surger I had developed RLS.

The ads for the drug that is supposed to releive it

are sooo true. You literally have to move or go insane.

There is a natural way of helping the condition that

a sufferer wrote and is only a couple bucks but I

forgot to send for it.

Sherry

It's terrible, isn't it? That has to be the worst part of the surgery for me. That, and having to sleep on my back.Arianne> > >> > > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR > > patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all > > day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to > > check some things out from the library before the surgery.)> > > > > > Thanks.> > > > > > Ann> > >> >> > > > > > > > > God bless all our heros> PMSM> LCPL JOSH> India 2nd plt.> > > ---------------------------------> Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.>

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/27/2006 8:28:13 A.M. Central Standard Time, sweetpea37814@... writes:

I didnt feel like sitting at the desk for at least a week.It was very uncomfortable.I wish that I would have had a laptop.That would have been much easier sherie

I had a stool under the desk that I could prop my leg on. It worked pretty well for a short time.

Guest guest

ann,if you need advice about the wireless just email me. it's my new cleaner career where i get to sit down a lot. several of my Dr.s are very happy about the change

Guest guest

i don't think the USA imports too much pork. i know we ship a lot of it outofcountry. my mother-in-law works in a processing plant

Guest guest

You're so much better off buying your meat direct

from the farmer. Most farmers grind their own feed,

and many don't feed hormones and stuff. You have

to buy in bulk i.e a quarter or half but you're ahead of

the game as far as quality. As far as pork ya half to

get a half or the entire animal. Processing is high as

well. I haven't eaten store bought meat for 35 years

except in restraunts and I usually order seafood

at nicer places. If you fry a hamburger from store bought meat and one from farmer direct it's like

day and night. The smell is sooooo good from farm

direct meat. You turn into a meataholic for awhile.

Sherry

i don't think the USA imports too much pork. i know we ship a lot of it outofcountry. my mother-in-law works in a processing plant

Guest guest

I may very well. I'm going to try following the instructions, but you know instructions. I've built computers, and was a system admin, but you know how it is -- if you're out of the computer field for a week, you have to start over.

Thanks.

Ann

ann,if you need advice about the wireless just email me. it's my new cleaner career where i get to sit down a lot. several of my Dr.s are very happy about the change

Guest guest

That's good to know. I was raised on pork (among other things -- my parents also fed me vegetables, fruit, and beef) & it's my favorite meat. I don't eat a lot of meat, but when I think of buying it, I think of (mmmmmmm) pork loin chops. In fact, I'm going to have one tonight.

Ann

Guest guest

With sauerkraut and spuds.

Sherry

Guest guest

Spuds yes, sauerkraut, eeeeewwwwwwww! And I can't eat spuds right now -- too many easily-digested carbs. Can't wait till I can use my legs & work off calories so I can eat potatoes.

Ann

Guest guest

LOL you're obviously not German are ya?

Sherry