RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/2006 5:16:51 P.M. Central Standard Time, know_jack@... writes:

Hi Ann,When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)...6 months ago...Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for meSeriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,Bob

Hi, I also took books with me also. Didn't touch them. My attention span is still not very good,could just be me.

Guest guest

Shorter than I've already got???? I didn't think that was possible.

So -- are you actually able to sit at your computer? Or did you bring your laptop into the BR?

Ann

Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

Hi Ann,When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)...6 months ago...Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for meSeriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,Bob>> Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to check some things out from the library before the surgery.)> > Thanks.> > Ann>

Guest guest

I second that.

Short stories, rest, shower, rest magazines, rest, exercises, rest, walking

practice, rest, eat, rest.

Everything seems to take a huge amount of energy at first. And the time it

takes to do things takes longer.

I usually take no more than 15 minutes to shower and dress. A shower

involved planning and time. Eg: 30 minutes before take pain killers. get

help to take off ted stockings, go to toilet, get toilet overchair in

shower, get someone else to wash back, legs, feet etc, then get help to dry

lower limbs and help with lower body clothing. Get help to replace ted

stockings. by this time it could be 90-100 minutes since you first took the

painkilers and you really want a nap before exercises.

I remember the first day I showered by myself. Hubby was coming home at

lunch time to help me with my exercises and I timed it so if something

happened and I fell he would find me pretty soon. He walked in and I said

" I had a shower " . Sounds silly, but I was so chuffed with myself.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

| Hi Ann,

|

| When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a

| time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the

| Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)

| ...6 months ago...

|

| Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me

|

| Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,

|

| Bob

|

|

|

| >

| > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR

| patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all

| day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to

| check some things out from the library before the surgery.)

| >

| > Thanks.

| >

| > Ann

|

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

I like all the "rest" parts. I thought maybe they would expect me to be up & using the leg as much as possible. Yayyyyy! I get to rest!!!! That's my natural state.

What are "ted" stockings? I keep hearing about them, but no clues so far.

As for showers, I figure, living alone, I can just stink. Of course, I'll have to wash certain places once in a while to keep the PT person from refusing to come over.

Listen, all you gimps -- thanks so much for being on this forum and answering all my questions. You've been SO helpful, you have no idea. You know everything about being The Patient, things doctors don't know. And you're all nice & friendly & nobody's beat me up yet (although now that I've called you gimps, I guess it's coming).

Ann

Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed| Hi Ann,|| When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a| time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the| Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)| ...6 months ago...|| Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me|| Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,|| Bob||| | >| > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR| patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all| day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to| check some things out from the library before the surgery.)| >| > Thanks.| >| > Ann| Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

I just clusty.com'ed it and here is an explanation.

T.E.D. Knee Length Anti-Embolism Open Toe Stockings (Latex Free)

pad

T.E.D. Knee Length Anti-Embolism Stockings (Latex Free)Open Toe Features:

Designed to reduce venous stasis below the knee when thigh length styles are

medically contraindicated. Correct graduated compression helps ensure

optimum blood flow velocity. Inlay circumferential knit helps assure a

proper pressure pattern and helps to prevent slippage. Contoured seamless

construction eliminates harsh ridges which might cause constriction.

Specially designed knee band minimizes slippage without constricting

circulation. Wide range of sizes facilitates proper fit for correct

compression pattern. Inspection toe opening provides easy access for medical

examination.

http://www.eurocom-med.com/eng/ted_antiembolism.html has pictures.

Because they are a very firm fit they take some getting on and off. Add the

fact that you have a sore leg and you can see someone to help is a great

idea.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

| Hi Ann,

|

| When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a

| time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the

| Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)

| ...6 months ago...

|

| Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me

|

| Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,

|

| Bob

|

|

|

| >

| > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR

| patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all

| day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to

| check some things out from the library before the surgery.)

| >

| > Thanks.

| >

| > Ann

|

Guest guest

teds are those skin tight, white stockings that they put on you before you even wake up from your surgery. They instructed me to keep mine on for the full 2 weeks until I was to go in for my 2 week post op appt. but I have to admit I bucked the system and stopped wearing them after about 5 days. They're just so tight they cut off the circulation around your already swollen thigh and cause you to feel like your foot will turn black and fall off. (in my opionio, of course.)

What they are for is to prevent you from getting blood clots, so they're really important. But I was sure to move my legs around as much as I could, and really pump my feet and ankles and stuff to keep the blood flowing.

Guest guest

so true oh how so true. the little things that you able to do by yourself is big steps toward getting back to ourselfs again. shirleyMargaret <zztinau@...> wrote: I second that.Short stories, rest, shower, rest magazines, rest, exercises, rest, walking practice, rest, eat, rest.Everything seems to take a huge amount of energy at first. And the time it takes to do things takes longer.I usually take no more than 15 minutes to shower and dress. A shower involved planning and time. Eg: 30 minutes before take pain killers. get help to take off ted stockings, go to toilet, get toilet overchair in shower, get someone else to wash back, legs, feet etc, then get help to dry lower limbs and help with lower body clothing. Get help to replace ted stockings. by this time it could be 90-100 minutes since you first took the painkilers and you really want a nap before exercises.I remember the first day I showered by myself. Hubby was coming home at lunch time to help me with my exercises and I timed it so if something happened and I fell he would find me pretty soon. He walked in and I said "I had a shower". Sounds silly, but I was so chuffed with myself.Aussie MargaretRTHR 1990 revised 2004 Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed| Hi Ann,|| When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a| time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the| Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)| ...6 months

ago...|| Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me|| Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,|| Bob||| | >| > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR| patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all| day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to| check some things out from the library before the surgery.)| >| > Thanks.| >| > Ann| Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/26/2006 1:41:26 A.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

Man, thanks! I'm going to have to print out an awful lot of e-mail with helpful hints I've gotten here.

Ann

Believe me, it will help. This is all great advice. I didn't know about this list until after I had my first knee done, and then I knew what to expect already.

Guest guest

A good trick to replacing TED stockings the easy way

is to place a plastic bag over the leg first

then the ted stocking will slide easily over the foot and ankle

then remove the plastic bag via the toe hole

If the TED does not have a hole just make one it has no effect

on the efficiency of the TED

-- Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

so true oh how so true. the little things that you able to do by yourself is big steps toward getting back to ourselfs again. shirleyMargaret <zztinau .au> wrote:

I second that.Short stories, rest, shower, rest magazines, rest, exercises, rest, walking practice, rest, eat, rest.Everything seems to take a huge amount of energy at first. And the time it takes to do things takes longer.I usually take no more than 15 minutes to shower and dress. A shower involved planning and time. Eg: 30 minutes before take pain killers. get help to take off ted stockings, go to toilet, get toilet overchair in shower, get someone else to wash back, legs, feet etc, then get help to dry lower limbs and help with lower body clothing. Get help to replace ted stockings. by this time it could be 90-100 minutes since you first took the painkilers and you really want a nap before exercises.I remember the first day I showered by myself. Hubby was coming home at lunch time to help me with my exercises and I timed it so if something happened and I fell he would find me pretty soon. He walked in and I said "I had a shower". Sounds silly, but I was so chuffed with myself.Aussie MargaretRTHR 1990 revised 2004 Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed| Hi Ann,|| When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a| time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the| Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op)| ...6 months ago...|| Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me|| Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,|| Bob||| | >| > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR| patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all| day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to| check some things out from the library before the surgery.)| >| > Thanks.| >| > Ann| Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

TEDS are horrible. I wore mine one night when I

got home and that was all I could handle...yuk. I

took my rat poison for a week though.

Sherry

teds are those skin tight, white stockings that they put on you before you even wake up from your surgery. They instructed me to keep mine on for the full 2 weeks until I was to go in for my 2 week post op appt. but I have to admit I bucked the system and stopped wearing them after about 5 days. They're just so tight they cut off the circulation around your already swollen thigh and cause you to feel like your foot will turn black and fall off. (in my opionio, of course.)

What they are for is to prevent you from getting blood clots, so they're really important. But I was sure to move my legs around as much as I could, and really pump my feet and ankles and stuff to keep the blood flowing.

Guest guest

S.A.M.

and they are such a fashion statement

If you can take 1/2 an asprin to prevent clotting

if you are not on Rat poison that is

-- Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

TEDS are horrible. I wore mine one night when I

got home and that was all I could handle...yuk. I

took my rat poison for a week though.

Sherry

__________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com__________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com

Guest guest

Actually aspirn has been way over done as a blood

thinner. I used Natokinaise but can't afford it but it

is MUCH safer than aspirn and all natural as well.

If you ever read mercola.com there are several articles

on this subject. It all about the bottom line for the

big pharma companies.

Sherry

__________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com__________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com

Guest guest

Ted stockings are tight so not so easy to put on but not bad. Take a

PTA bath. P***y, TITS and armpits. Please excuse my language and I

don't normally talk this way but this is what i was told. he he.

On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Ann wrote:

> I like all the " rest " parts.  I thought maybe they would expect me to

> be up & using the leg as much as possible.  Yayyyyy!  I get to

> rest!!!!  That's my natural state.

>  

> What are " ted " stockings?  I keep hearing about them, but no clues so

> far.

>  

> As for showers, I figure, living alone, I can just stink.  Of course,

> I'll have to wash certain places once in a while to keep the PT person

> from refusing to come over.

>  

> Listen, all you gimps -- thanks so much for being on this forum and

> answering all my questions.  You've been SO helpful, you have no

> idea.  You know everything about being The Patient, things doctors

> don't know.  And you're all nice & friendly & nobody's beat me up yet

> (although now that I've called you gimps, I guess it's coming).

>  

> Ann

>  

>  

>> Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed

>>

>>

>> | Hi Ann,

>> |

>> | When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a

>> | time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the

>> | Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought

>> Pre-Op)

>> | ...6 months ago...

>> |

>> | Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me

>> |

>> | Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,,

>> |

>> | Bob

>> |

>> |

>> |

>> | >

>> | > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR

>> | patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee

>> all

>> | day or will I get to watch a lot of TV?  (If the latter, I need to

>> | check some things out from the library before the surgery.)

>> | >

>> | > Thanks.

>> | >

>> | > Ann

>> |

>>

>> Send instant messages to your online friends

>> http://au.messenger.

>>

>>

>>

Guest guest

Yeah!

This guy sounds over the top. But I suppose I just can't take his advice

and eat meat raw. I believe there are many dangers with this.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

Actually aspirn has been way over done as a blood

thinner. I used Natokinaise but can't afford it but it

is MUCH safer than aspirn and all natural as well.

If you ever read mercola.com there are several articles

on this subject. It all about the bottom line for the

big pharma companies.

Sherry

Guest guest

Thanks. Hmmmm, hard to get on, eh? And me with arthritis in my fingers. Thanks for the link.

Ann

Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed | Hi Ann, | | When you get home, your attention span will be about 15 minutes at a | time....Forget all the the books you never had time to read from the | Library...(I am finally finishing the last book that I bought Pre-Op) | ...6 months ago... | | Magazine articles & on-line 'doodly-dads' worked much better for me | | Seriously here:...You will have a short attention span,,, | | Bob | | | | > | > Something else I'd like to know, as a first-time upcoming TKR | patient, is, after I get home, will I be expected to work my knee all | day or will I get to watch a lot of TV? (If the latter, I need to | check some things out from the library before the surgery.) | > | > Thanks. | > | > Ann | Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

I don't go along with a lot of his stuff but he knows

tons about disease and what actually causes it and a

lot of it is caused by drugs we are perscribed and what

is in em.

It was kind of funny, In his last newsletter he told

about how eating raw meat at some party got him

deathly ill but blamed it on himself.

Sherry

Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bedActually aspirn has been way over done as a bloodthinner. I used Natokinaise but can't afford it but itis MUCH safer than aspirn and all natural as well.If you ever read mercola.com there are several articleson this subject. It all about the bottom line for thebig pharma companies.SherrySend instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

Maybe if I swear on my own lost blood that I'll move my feet constantly ... Just having on tight stockings doesn't seem like a good idea, esp. if, like in your case, it prevents circulation between the feet & the thigh. That seems the opposite of what they want.

Ann

Guest guest

Speaking of rat poison, has anyone here had any problems with that?

Ann

Guest guest

my doctor gave me a persxcription of ONE tablet. I

was to take it the night BEFORE surgery. Then while

I was in the hospital I was given it too and they gave

me enough to take home for a week afterward. I had no problem...didn't even squeak...LOL. I took Natokinease as long as I could afford it up till a couple

months ago when we had a financial disaster here.

Sherry

Guest guest

Man, thanks! I'm going to have to print out an awful lot of e-mail with helpful hints I've gotten here.

Ann

In a message dated 8/26/2006 12:04:12 A.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdyearthlink (DOT) net writes:

Maybe if I swear on my own lost blood that I'll move my feet constantly ... Just having on tight stockings doesn't seem like a good idea, esp. if, like in your case, it prevents circulation between the feet & the thigh. That seems the opposite of what they want.

Ann

There is another trick about the Teds. Mine always would roll down and get really tight. If you cut about 3 or 4 pieces of thin cardboard, maybe about 1 inch by 2 inches and then put them under the elastic at the top it makes them feel a bit better and keeps them from rolling down. My PT told me this, and it works.

Guest guest

LOL Would the rat poison be blood thinners by any chance.It felt like poison when I took it. Sure heated up my blood but it was better that wearing the hose. I think that my ears got a little more pointed. sherrie"S.A.M." <blueopal@...> wrote: my doctor gave me a persxcription of ONE tablet. I was to take it the night BEFORE surgery. Then while I was in the hospital I was given it too and they gave me enough to take home for a week afterward. I had no problem...didn't even squeak...LOL. I took Natokinease as long as I could afford it up till a couple months ago when we had a financial disaster here. Sherry Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bed teds are those skin tight, white stockings that they put on you before you even wake up from your surgery. They instructed me to keep mine on for the full 2 weeks until I was to go in for my 2 week post op appt. but I have to admit I bucked the system and stopped wearing them after about 5 days. They're just so tight they cut off the

circulation around your already swollen thigh and cause you to feel like your foot will turn black and fall off. (in my opionio, of course.) What they are for is to prevent you from getting blood clots, so they're really important. But I was sure to move my legs around as much as I could, and really pump my feet and ankles and stuff to keep the blood flowing. __________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com__________ NOD32 1.1725 (20060825) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.eset.com God bless all our heros PMSM LCPL JOSH India 2nd plt.

All-new - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Guest guest

Sure is. It kills rats by causing them to hemmorage

internally.

Sherry

God bless all our heros

PMSM

LCPL JOSH

India 2nd plt.

All-new - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Guest guest

He only eats ORAGNIC MEAT. Still yuk. I Iike beef

medium rare but that's it. We don't get our meat from

the store so it hasn't been fed all the chemicals commerical meat has.

Sherry

Re: Re: Post-op lolligagging in bedActually aspirn has been way over done as a bloodthinner. I used Natokinaise but can't afford it but itis MUCH safer than aspirn and all natural as well.If you ever read mercola.com there are several articleson this subject. It all about the bottom line for thebig pharma companies.SherrySend instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

Pork is never eaten raw or rare. He is jewish and doesn't eat pork. He eats ostrich I know and kosher

beef, chicken etc.

Sherry

some where i read that trichinosis was almost 100% wiped out at least here in the USA