and if and when that will go away. I start more PT and was told that time will

help as the

surgery caused a lot of swelling and infammation which is probably pressing on

the

nerves in that area causing the weakness in my legs. Let's hope that is the

case. I had a

posterior only surgery that took about 5 hours. I am from VA so had to make the

trip to

NYC and do rehab nearby before going home to VA.

What is your situation? And thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers,

Jeanie

> Hi there,

> I haven't had my revision surgery yet, but am scheduled for June 3rd with

Dr.Boachie. 

I wish you well and hope it doesn't take you too long to get your strength back

in your

legs.  what did your surgery consist of?  I have a Harrington Rod that he'll be

removing...and then re-doing my fusion.  When you're up to it, I'd like to hear

how you're

doing.  You will be in my thoughts...

> lauren

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: jdh3652 <jdh3652@...>

>

> Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:36:31 PM

> Subject: [ ] (unknown)

>

>

> I had surgery with Dr. Boachie on Jan. 21st. I stayed in the Hospital for

Special surgery

for

> about 8 days and then went to an acute rehab facility nearby. I had 3 hours of

PT

every

> day except on weekends. I had a lot of symptoms that came and went but the

lasting

one

> that is bothering me the most is the weakness I have in my legs. I have to

wear a knee

> brace and use a walker to get around as well as the back brace that Dr.

Boachie

prescribed.

> Post surgery both my legs just buckled when I tried to stand. I am now 3 weeks

out

and I

> can stand w/o the brace as long as I can hold on to the walker but I don't

dare try to

walk

> w/o the brace as I am afraid my knee will collapse again. Dr. Boachie said it

could take

up

> to 4 months for the strength in my legs to fully return. Did anyone have a

similar

> experience post-op? Right now I have to have help in order to stand and walk

cause I

can't

> put the knee brace on by myself because I am not allowed to bend. My husband

has to

> help me put the knee brace on, then the back brace and then I have to use the

walker

to

> get around the house. I can't do stairs yet either. I am very happy with the

way my

back

> came out-I am standing very straight with no trace of the flatback I had

before. I am

> worried about the strength in my legs returning but am trying to be patient.

Anyone

else

> out there have leg weakness post-op?

>

I would take 50 mgs of Iodine, Vit C and check her estrogen and progesterone levels.

Definition of Breast CalcificationsBreast calcifications are deposits of calcium that can be seen on a mammogram of the breast. There are two types: macrocalcifications and microcalcifications.

Macrocalcifications usually are degenerative changes in the breast resulting from old injuries, inflammations, or aging of the breast arteries and are usually not related to cancer. Most often they do not require a biopsy. Macrocalcifications occur in about half the women in the U.S. who are over 50, and in about 10 percent of women under the age of 50.

Microcalcifications are specks of calcium that may be found in an area of rapidly dividing cells. The residue left by rapidly dividing cells can appear as microcalcifications. When many are seen in a cluster, they may indicate a small cancer. About half the cancers detected appear as these clusters.

Description of Breast CalcificationsInformational brochures about mammography and breast cancer always warn women to look for breast lumps and have them checked, but rarely discuss calcifications or microcalcifications.

Most breast calcifications are benign. The term microcalcification is often used for calcifications found with malignancy, which are usually smaller, more numerous, clustered, and variously shaped (rods, branches, teardrops). Calcifications associated with benign conditions are usually larger, fewer in number, widely dispersed, and round. In the middle are hard-to-tell calcifications which are often labeled indeterminate.

Magnification views (enlarged mammograms of a particular part of the breast) are sometimes recommended to get a better picture of the quantity, shape, closeness, and arrangement of microcalcifications. If magnification views reveal additional smaller microcalcifications clustered with those visible on the regular mammogram, the likelihood of cancer increases.

When calcifications are thought to be associated with benign conditions, a routine mammogram is called for in one or two (or more) years, depending on a woman's age and risk factors.

When suspicious microcalcifications appear on a mammogram, but no lump is felt, a needle localization biopsy is recommended, so that breast tissue can be removed and examined under a microscope by a pathologist.

Some radiologists take an aggressive approach when dealing with indeterminate calcifications, recommending a needle-localization biopsy to see whether malignancy is present. Others take a wait-and-see approach, recommending that women return in six months for a follow-up mammogram to see if calcifications have changed - a sign that a cancer could be growing.

Physicians who recommend "waiting and watching" point to survival statistics, which suggest that a six-month delay in diagnosis and treatment does not affect a woman's chances for a 5-year disease-free outcome. They claim that waiting is not dangerous because six months is a short time in the life of a slow-growing cancer. They also assert that chances for long-term survival with a fast-growing cancer are low, and that early detection does not seem to matter, especially for premenopausal women.

Whatever reasons a physician has for recommending a six-month wait, generalities do not address individual cases. Each woman must still decide whether to biopsy indeterminate calcifications.

Calcifications revealed on mammograms are thought to be associated with an increased risk of subsequent breast cancer. Women with calcifications in both breasts are at higher risk than women with calcifications in one breast. Women with any calcifications are at higher risk than women with none.

(unknown)

My sister just told me that her mammogram showed Calcifications in her left breast. How concerned should we be and what do we need to know?Diane

When I was originally diagnosed they thought it might be Lupus but it turned out

to be RA, I don't know if that is a good thing our not?

I periodically try to sell subject line boxes by the dozen on Ebay, so far no

takers but I could set up with a really good deal! I bought about 10,000 of 'em

from a guy who also wanted to sell me the Aqua duct here in Seattle, now I hear

they want to tear it down. Glad I didn't buy it, he said the Space Needle is for

sale too!

Stan,

Seattle, Cloudy (I could sell sunlight here if I could keep in the jar).

[ ] (unknown)

RA? SLE? Other?

Interesting, I do not have a box to add a subject line. ?

I was wondering if most members are here for RA support or SLE support

or other afflictions?

KD

I'll pitch in my 2 cents worth...I had my revision surgery in May of 2007 and since I had some setbacks that altered what I'd call the average post op recovery, I don't feel that I can duly give a "typical results/outcome" rundown of my experience because of my individual issues, and which I can only say about that is that everybody is different, and everybody's recovery and progress is unique to their own bodies. So now that I got my "disclaimer" out of the way, I'll move on to my experience with the weakness I had in my legs after surgery.

Most everything I've dealt with in my scoliosis world have affected my right side. That's the side with the rib hump, the smaller breast, butt cheek, and post Harrington rod issues have mainly affected the right side of my body - and the nerve pain and limb weakness has always extended down my right leg only. After getting home, about 2 weeks after my surgery my right leg was weaker than it ever had been before, which ws pretty scairey to me. The in-home physical therapist tried to assure me that it would improve as I regained my strength and stamina which was his responsibilty to initiate. I remember not believing him when he said that it would improve, but sure enough, it did improve and I did reach a point where I had much less nerve pain and the leg weakness did substantially improve after about 6 weeks.

I personally feel that if you give it more time, and do any therapy they lay out for you, that the weakness will subside..I am not a doctor, and I'm just basing my thoughts on what I experienced. From everything I've heard about Dr. Broachie, I feel that you are in very capable hands and just reading the things he explained to you, and further to read that you're pleased with the correction from the what you see in the mirror standpoint, all you need now is time for things to settle down from the surgery. What they explained to you sounds exactly like what normally goes on in surgeries of this nature, regarding the swelling and inflammation.

Hang in there and I'll bet in a few weeks you'll wake up and feel a huge difference in the positive direction!

G

[ ] (unknown)> > > I had surgery with Dr. Boachie on Jan. 21st. I stayed in the Hospital for Special surgery for > about 8 days and then went to an acute rehab facility nearby. I had 3 hours of PT every > day except on weekends. I had a lot of symptoms that came and went but the lasting one > that is bothering me the most is the weakness I have in my legs. I have to wear a knee > brace and use a walker to get around as well as the back brace that Dr. Boachie prescribed. > Post surgery both my legs just buckled when I tried to stand. I am now 3 weeks out and I > can stand w/o the brace as long as I can hold on to the walker but I don't dare try to walk > w/o the brace as I am afraid my knee will collapse again. Dr. Boachie said it could take up > to 4 months for the strength in my legs to fully return. Did anyone have a similar > experience post-op? Right now I have to have help in order to stand and walk cause I can't > put the knee brace on by myself because I am not allowed to bend. My husband has to > help me put the knee brace on, then the back brace and then I have to use the walker to > get around the house. I can't do stairs yet either. I am very happy with the way my back > came out-I am standing very straight with no trace of the flatback I had before. I am > worried about the strength in my legs returning but am trying to be patient. Anyone else > out there have leg weakness post-op?>

Hi,

The seeds which float have been eaten hollow by insects and will float.

Consequently they will not sprout.

Gopal 

Subject: (unknown)

Date: Thursday, 12 February, 2009, 12:13 PM

Don't know what's happening but it won't let me post a subject for

this question.

Re: Seeds floating to the top while I'm soaking them.

I just got these beautiful radish sprout seeds. I put them in the

water in my mason jar to soak overnight. I noticed that a LOT OF SEEDS

are floating on the top.

Now when I soak the broccoli seeds, the fenugreek and all my other

seeds, well, there are SOME seeds that float to the top. I thought

that I should just pick them out, (or collect them with a spoon) and

toss them.

For some reason, I believe that when you are soaking seeds and they

float, that means they will not sprout. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

But the radish seeds?. There are quite a bit floating. I just swirl

the water and some of them sink.

What does this all mean?

Thanks much

Melody

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

http://messenger./invite/

The easiest way to tell curds from grains, for me, is that the curds will squish

easily when pressed lightly with the back of a spoon...a grain will offer firm

resistance.  If you try to pick up a curd with your fingers and a grain you can

feel the difference in the firmness or lack thereof.  Also, if you rinse your

grains, most of the curds will wash away.

Hope that helps,

Hi Jeanie,

I hope you're feeling an improvement today! How are you doing?

Where did you go for rehab? Did you choose that place or is that where most of Br.Boachie's patients go? How long were you in the hospital before rehab? How was your trip home? I have so many questions right now...i'm sure you remember feeling this way!

I am so glad to read that you're happy with your outcome of the surgery. Feel well!!!!!!! ...warmly, lauren

From: jdh3652 <jdh3652@...> Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:13:50 PMSubject: [ ] Re: (unknown)

>Hi - sorry I didn't include a "subject." I'm not very good at these posts technologically speaking. I was VERY happy with the way my back came out of the surgery. I had a flatback that got progressively worse since 2000. Dr. Boachie told me he needed to get at least 30 degrees with the osteotomy to regain the proper balance with my pelvis and the kyphosis of head and shoulders. He got 35 degrees and I am as straight up as I could have dreamed I'd be. Just a little scared about the leg weakness and if and when that will go away. I start more PT and was told that time will help as the surgery caused a lot of swelling and infammation which is probably pressing on the nerves in that area

causing the weakness in my legs. Let's hope that is the case. I had a posterior only surgery that took about 5 hours. I am from VA so had to make the trip to NYC and do rehab nearby before going home to VA. What is your situation? And thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers,Jeanie> Hi there,> I haven't had my revision surgery yet, but am scheduled for June 3rd with Dr.Boachie. I wish you well and hope it doesn't take you too long to get your strength back in your legs. what did your surgery consist of? I have a Harrington Rod that he'll be removing...and then re-doing my fusion. When you're up to it, I'd like to hear how you're doing. You will be in my thoughts...> lauren> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: jdh3652 <jdh3652@... >> > Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:36:31 PM> Subject: [ ] (unknown)> > > I had surgery with Dr. Boachie on Jan. 21st. I stayed in the Hospital for Special surgery for > about 8 days and then went to an acute rehab facility nearby. I had 3 hours of PT every > day except on weekends. I had a lot of symptoms that came and went but the lasting one > that is bothering me the most is the weakness I have in my legs. I have to wear a knee > brace and use a walker to get around as well as the back brace that Dr. Boachie prescribed. > Post surgery both my legs just buckled when I tried to stand. I am now 3 weeks out and I > can stand w/o the brace as long as I can hold on to the walker but I don't dare try to walk > w/o the

brace as I am afraid my knee will collapse again. Dr. Boachie said it could take up > to 4 months for the strength in my legs to fully return. Did anyone have a similar > experience post-op? Right now I have to have help in order to stand and walk cause I can't > put the knee brace on by myself because I am not allowed to bend. My husband has to > help me put the knee brace on, then the back brace and then I have to use the walker to > get around the house. I can't do stairs yet either. I am very happy with the way my back > came out-I am standing very straight with no trace of the flatback I had before. I am > worried about the strength in my legs returning but am trying to be patient. Anyone else > out there have leg weakness post-op?>

I do both. Just today I harvested a batch of fenugreek from an

EasySprout sprouter. Last week I did a salad mix in the Freshlife that I

mixed up myself that included red clover, alfalfa. radish, broccoli and

fenugreek. I mix up whatever I feel like in a bowl, put some of it in the

machine and save the rest in jar for next time. My wife prefers the mixes

and she will eat more sprouts. I can't get enough fenugreek. For lunch

today, I toasted two slices of Ezekiel 4:9 bread and made a fenugreek

sandwich.

ew

(unknown)

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 05:21:49 -0000

SPROUTED BEAN AND SPROUTED RICE SOUP

We ordered beans from .com and they came in this week!

We just had our first sprouted bean and sprouted rice soup, inspired

by the group. We added onion, garlic, coriander, ginger, parsley,

carrots, celery seed (ran out of celery). It was delicious! I was

looking for a cajun sort of taste, but ended up with something else

that was delicious!

Next to try is fenugreek sprouts. So a question for Ernest-

I was think of adding some fenugreek seeds to the FreshLife sprouter,

along with my usual wacky mix. Have you done this or do you sprout

them alone?

Thanks,

Diane

--

Be Yourself @ mail.com!

Choose From 200+ Email Addresses

Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

I do both. Just today I harvested a batch of fenugreek from an

EasySprout sprouter. Last week I did a salad mix in the Freshlife that I

mixed up myself that included red clover, alfalfa. radish, broccoli and

fenugreek. I mix up whatever I feel like in a bowl, put some of it in the

machine and save the rest in jar for next time. My wife prefers the mixes

and she will eat more sprouts. I can't get enough fenugreek. For lunch

today, I toasted two slices of Ezekiel 4:9 bread and made a fenugreek

sandwich.

ew

(unknown)

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 05:21:49 -0000

SPROUTED BEAN AND SPROUTED RICE SOUP

We ordered beans from .com and they came in this week!

We just had our first sprouted bean and sprouted rice soup, inspired

by the group. We added onion, garlic, coriander, ginger, parsley,

carrots, celery seed (ran out of celery). It was delicious! I was

looking for a cajun sort of taste, but ended up with something else

that was delicious!

Next to try is fenugreek sprouts. So a question for Ernest-

I was think of adding some fenugreek seeds to the FreshLife sprouter,

along with my usual wacky mix. Have you done this or do you sprout

them alone?

Thanks,

Diane

--

Be Yourself @ mail.com!

Choose From 200+ Email Addresses

Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

Only the pyridoxamine form... AFAIK P5P and pyridoxine HCl will still be

fine, and they are the ones most often used in supplements, at least from

what I've seen.

-Lana

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 7:52 PM, haecklers <haecklers@...> wrote:

> Boy, Big Pharma is busy! I just read they got vitamin B6 classified

> as a drug as well! I guess the emphasis on high-nutrient foods may

> come in handy around here!

where are you at?  i have 5 people here who want to get started on KT making,

and my scoby production is slow right now with the cool weather. i am in

Oklahoma.

918-931-9600

Fax: 866-669-0231

kombucha tea

Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:31:18 PM

Subject: Re: (unknown)

nice tought

(unknown)

hi there,

i have some scobys available if anyone wants some. all i ask is

postage cost to be covered.

Thanks

some say you would be making apple cider vinegar, that they are basically the

same orgnanisms just a different medium. i plan on doing the same thing once i

get the wood cask i have ordered from the happy herbalist. let me know how yours

turns out

kombucha tea

Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:46:51 AM

I made homemade apple juice. What would become of it if I put a scoby

in it and let it sit like the tea? Would it make tea and eat up all the

sugar and make it healthy and lower carb?

Thanks

Sherri in Wi.

Usually fermented stuff doesn't " go bad " but it does keep

changing. The changes it makes may or may not be ones

you like. I don't know specifically for natto though.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:56 AM, artistmama <artistmama@...> wrote:

> I made my first successful batch of natto. Now I am wondering how long I

> can keep it in the fridge before it has to be frozen. Since it is

> fermented, will it go bad?

>

> Thanks,

>

> in Idaho

>

First,congratulation to you. and also is right.

Natto-kin is durable if fermented over 42-44 degree centigrage or

higher.

So there wont be any worries except driedness. Even it is refregerated.

If there is a problem in the freg, you need wrapping.

And it is recomended to consume within 3 weeks for tasting purpose.

Please go on,

isao

Hi , Sherri and EveryOne,

Actually the organisms in Kombucha and Apple Cider vinegar are not the

same:

This is an excerpt from the book " Kombucha - Healthy beverage and

natural Remedy from the Far East " by Guenther W. . Where you buy

this book See http://www.kombu.de/where.htm. The " genuine " Kombucha

culture " Have I got the real Kombucha culture? Where do I get the

right culture From? " These are questions that bother a lot of people,

and are forever Cropping up. To anticipate the answer right away:

there is no one clear answer to this Question. Reiss (1987) reduces it

to the common denominator: " The precise Combination of the component

elements of individual Kombucha preparations Can vary widely, so that

it's not so much a case of " the " Kombucha Culture, but of a great

number of them. " This view is confirmed by all the other authors.

Lindner (1913 and 1917/ 18) had already noticed that the composition

of the individual cultures Could be very different, particularly with

regard to the yeasts. And Valentin (1930), who experimented with a

variety of different strains, Says that the varying results of his

researches taught him that there is a Great variety in the individual

culture colonies. He describes his results In the following terms: " At

any rate it must be emphasized that the chemical processes in Kombucha

Cultures are dependent on the bacteria available. But it's not just

from The fermented products that one can tell commercially obtainable

Kombucha Cultures contain a variety of quite different strains of

yeast and Bacteria; even the symbiotic relationship of the individual

varieties to Each other varies greatly. " Valentin (1928) even

recommends chemists to raise a varieties of cultures In order to be

able to give their customers the appropriate culture to Match the

desired taste. The Russian research scientist ova confirms in a

thesis published in 1954 ( " Morphology of the tea fungus " ) that the

actual composition of the Symbiont varies according to geographical

and climatic conditions, and Depends on whatever types of wild yeasts

and bacteria exist locally. The variety of combinations forming the

Kombucha culture can possibly be Caused by differing growth of the

individual constituents. Depending on Which conditions of growth best

suit which constituents of the culture, so One sort develops better

than another. Because I considered the question of the " genuine "

Kombucha culture to be Very important, I consulted Professor Ulf Stahl

of the Technical University, Berlin (Microbiological Research

Institute), who was known to Me as an authority in the field of

microbiology. Professor Stahl told me That the opinion of the

Microbiological Research Institute is that the Kombucha culture is

composed of Schizosaccharomyces pombe and Acetobacter Xylinum. These

constituents are also given by authors worldwide. Dr. Maxim Bing

(1928) gives Bacterium xylinum and the tropical Pombe yeast, as well

as Bact. Xylonoides and gluconicum as constituents in pure cultures.

The First two are given a certain prominence. Dr. Arauner (1929)

confirms this: " The Kombucha culture is not a Standardized thing, but

a fungal consortium of Bacterium xylinum (former Designation of

Acetobacter xylinum) in symbiosis with Pombe yeast. " Prof. Henneberg

(1926 B) also mentions exactly the same combination in his Handbook on

fermentation bacteriology, and recommends pure cultures of Both these

constituents. A pure or axenic culture consists of a single type of

micro-organism. In Bacteriology, often only the descendants of one

single bacterium cell (isolation of single-cell colonies) are referred

to as a pure culture (Schön, 1978). When Prof. Henneberg recommends

using pure cultures, he means by that Nothing more than cultivating

both constituent part - Bacterium xylinum And the Pombe yeast -

separately, and only then bringing them together. Preparing the

beverage at home, of course, one has to continue working With the

already combined constituents of the culture. The sum up, one may say:

The principal constituents Schizosaccharomyces Pombe and Bacterium

(Acetobacter) xylinum are both unhesitatingly attested In the writings

of the experts. An exception to this is Wiechowski (1928), Who

considers Bacterium gluconicum to be the principal bacterium and

Bacterium xylinum next in order of importance. Irrespective of these,

Other bacteria and yeasts are mentioned as being constituent elements,

Whose presence however varies. Our opinions are like our watches.

Nobody's is exactly the same as Anybody else's, and yet everyone

Believes their own to be right. Gellert

http://snipurl.com/bw93f

>

> some say you would be making apple cider vinegar, that they are

basically the same orgnanisms just a different medium. i plan on doing

the same thing once i get the wood cask i have ordered from the happy

herbalist. let me know how yours turns out

>  

>

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: sherriafton <sherriafton@...>

> kombucha tea

> Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:46:51 AM

> Subject: (unknown)

>

>

> I made homemade apple juice. What would become of it if I put a scoby

> in it and let it sit like the tea? Would it make tea and eat up all the

> sugar and make it healthy and lower carb?

> Thanks

> Sherri in Wi.

>

>

>

>

>

> >Hi - sorry I didn't include a " subject. " I'm not very good at these

> technologically speaking. I was VERY happy with the way my back came out of

the

> surgery. I had a flatback that got progressively worse since 2000. Dr. Boachie

told me

> he needed to get at least 30 degrees with the osteotomy to regain the proper

balance

> with my pelvis and the kyphosis of head and shoulders. He got 35 degrees and I

am as

> straight up as I could have dreamed I'd be. Just a little scared about the leg

weakness

> and if and when that will go away. I start more PT and was told that time will

help as

the

> surgery caused a lot of swelling and infammation which is probably pressing on

the

> nerves in that area causing the weakness in my legs. Let's hope that is the

case. I had

a

> posterior only surgery that took about 5 hours. I am from VA so had to make

the trip

to

> NYC and do rehab nearby before going home to VA.

> What is your situation? And thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers,

> Jeanie

> > Hi there,

> > I haven't had my revision surgery yet, but am scheduled for June 3rd with

Dr.Boachie. 

> I wish you well and hope it doesn't take you too long to get your strength

back in your

> legs.  what did your surgery consist of?  I have a Harrington Rod that he'll

be

> removing...and then re-doing my fusion.  When you're up to it, I'd like to

hear how

you're

> doing.  You will be in my thoughts...

> > lauren

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > From: jdh3652 <jdh3652@ >

> >

> > Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:36:31 PM

> > Subject: [ ] (unknown)

> >

> >

> > I had surgery with Dr. Boachie on Jan. 21st. I stayed in the Hospital for

Special

surgery

> for

> > about 8 days and then went to an acute rehab facility nearby. I had 3 hours

of PT

> every

> > day except on weekends. I had a lot of symptoms that came and went but the

lasting

> one

> > that is bothering me the most is the weakness I have in my legs. I have to

wear a

knee

> > brace and use a walker to get around as well as the back brace that Dr.

Boachie

> prescribed.

> > Post surgery both my legs just buckled when I tried to stand. I am now 3

weeks out

> and I

> > can stand w/o the brace as long as I can hold on to the walker but I don't

dare try to

> walk

> > w/o the brace as I am afraid my knee will collapse again. Dr. Boachie said

it could

take

> up

> > to 4 months for the strength in my legs to fully return. Did anyone have a

similar

> > experience post-op? Right now I have to have help in order to stand and walk

cause

I

> can't

> > put the knee brace on by myself because I am not allowed to bend. My husband

has

to

> > help me put the knee brace on, then the back brace and then I have to use

the

walker

> to

> > get around the house. I can't do stairs yet either. I am very happy with the

way my

> back

> > came out-I am standing very straight with no trace of the flatback I had

before. I am

> > worried about the strength in my legs returning but am trying to be patient.

Anyone

> else

> > out there have leg weakness post-op?

> >

>

Hi Jeanie,

I'm so happy to hear back from you. You continue to be in my prayers. I know each day will bring you more strength & healing. Thank you for filling me in...I can't help but wonder constantly what my journey will be like. I know we're all different but it still helps to hear other experiences while I'm awaiting the big day!

keep me posted & take it one day at a time...you're going to get there...but stronger & in a lot less pain than before!!!

warmly,

lauren

From: jdh3652 <jdh3652@...> Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:11:44 PMSubject: [ ] Re: (unknown)

> >Hi - sorry I didn't include a "subject." I'm not very

good at these posts > technologically speaking. I was VERY happy with the way my back came out of the > surgery. I had a flatback that got progressively worse since 2000. Dr. Boachie told me > he needed to get at least 30 degrees with the osteotomy to regain the proper balance > with my pelvis and the kyphosis of head and shoulders. He got 35 degrees and I am as > straight up as I could have dreamed I'd be. Just a little scared about the leg weakness > and if and when that will go away. I start more PT and was told that time will help as the > surgery caused a lot of swelling and infammation which is probably pressing on the > nerves in that area causing the weakness in my legs. Let's hope that is the case. I had a > posterior only surgery that took about 5 hours. I am from VA so had to make the trip to > NYC and do rehab nearby before going home to VA. > What is

your situation? And thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers,> Jeanie> > Hi there,> > I haven't had my revision surgery yet, but am scheduled for June 3rd with Dr.Boachie. > I wish you well and hope it doesn't take you too long to get your strength back in your > legs. what did your surgery consist of? I have a Harrington Rod that he'll be > removing...and then re-doing my fusion. When you're up to it, I'd like to hear how you're > doing. You will be in my thoughts...> > lauren> > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> > From: jdh3652 <jdh3652@ >> > > > Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:36:31 PM> > Subject: [ ] (unknown)> > > > > > I had surgery with Dr.

Boachie on Jan. 21st. I stayed in the Hospital for Special surgery > for > > about 8 days and then went to an acute rehab facility nearby. I had 3 hours of PT > every > > day except on weekends. I had a lot of symptoms that came and went but the lasting > one > > that is bothering me the most is the weakness I have in my legs. I have to wear a knee > > brace and use a walker to get around as well as the back brace that Dr. Boachie > prescribed. > > Post surgery both my legs just buckled when I tried to stand. I am now 3 weeks out > and I > > can stand w/o the brace as long as I can hold on to the walker but I don't dare try to > walk > > w/o the brace as I am afraid my knee will collapse again. Dr. Boachie said it could take > up > > to 4 months for the strength in my legs to fully return. Did anyone have a

similar > > experience post-op? Right now I have to have help in order to stand and walk cause I > can't > > put the knee brace on by myself because I am not allowed to bend. My husband has to > > help me put the knee brace on, then the back brace and then I have to use the walker > to > > get around the house. I can't do stairs yet either. I am very happy with the way my > back > > came out-I am standing very straight with no trace of the flatback I had before. I am > > worried about the strength in my legs returning but am trying to be patient. Anyone > else > > out there have leg weakness post-op?> >>

Have you been to a pain clinic?

---

spinal problems

Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 11:49 AM

I have had a tens unit for a year.  It helps somewhat but it also causes my skin

to rash.  I have used ice, heat, tens, and prayer but nothing takes away the

pain.

Life is what happens

to you while you're

busy making other plans.

( Lennon)

every month i go to a pain clinic, they give ua's often, and this clinic you

have to have mega tests and prove you need them. I have tried ost everything

else. Although the pain cream we makes helps me a lot.

(unknown)

spinal problems

I have had a tens unit for a year. It helps somewhat but it also causes my

skin to rash. I have used ice, heat, tens, and prayer but nothing takes away

the pain.

Life is what happens

to you while you're

busy making other plans.

( Lennon)

This may be a stupid question, but I have no idea what this tens unit is

that everyone is talking about, I guess I am kind of new to all of this.

All of my pain only started last July, so I am still investingating my

options for pain control.

(unknown)

spinal problems

I have had a tens unit for a year. It helps somewhat but it also

causes my skin to rash. I have used ice, heat, tens, and prayer but

nothing takes away the pain.

Life is what happens

to you while you're

busy making other plans.

( Lennon)

It's a small battery operated unit that has electrodes that you attach to the

painful area, and it sends electrical impulses to the area. The goal is to

interrupt the pain pathway and have your brain confused by the stimulation.

One thing people should know is that TENS units are not able to send a deep

signal, such as is needed for lumbar spine pain. An Interferential Therapy Unit

is better. It works the same way, but the impulses are designed to ba able to go

deeper vs the cutaneous effects of the TENS.

---

spinedisorderssuppo rtgroup@gro ups.com

Life is what happens

to you while you're

busy making other plans.

( Lennon)

Thanks , Good to know since my pain is all from the Lumbar area. I

am just trying to look into some different possibilities. I am taking so

many narcotics right now, its crazy!!!! I am so thankful for this group.

It really helps to understand the possibilities.

(unknown)

Life is what happens

to you while you're

busy making other plans.

( Lennon)

Thanks , Good to know since my pain is all from the Lumbar area. I

am just trying to look into some different possibilities. I am taking so

many narcotics right now, its crazy!!!! I am so thankful for this group.

It really helps to understand the possibilities.

(unknown)

Life is what happens

to you while you're

busy making other plans.

( Lennon)

Np prob April. There's pretty much nothing that I haven't tried or had done to

me in search of pain relief. If I didn't, then someone else here has! Good luck