there are others that have things also. God also help keep htat in

perspective. COuld not do it without hime letting me know he is in control

and that it will work out even when I can't figure it out. In fact I have

had a wonderful blessing of my husband realizing that he was missing time

with his family and he has just really changed his attitude and that more

than anything has helped. NOw it is ok if I have to rest as I know it will

get taken care of. We have prayed for this for over 2 years. We have a

lady that helps before and after school with Jas so I am able to rest then

instead of having to take her back and forth to school.

I will keep praying for your family too.

Debra angel in Alaska

Guest guest

>but I do what I can one day at a time. Irish

Irish,

Don't be so hard on yourself. One day at a time is

all any of us can do. Be proud of yourself for doing

that. :)

Jeanie

--- irishladi26@... wrote:

> Tree, you are so right about how they react when

> they see your husband. I go

> through the same thing. He looks fine he~ isn't sick

> ~you are nuts, etc....

> Well, I tell you I have just about had it really. He

> works and comes home and

> eats very little and sleeps for a while and then

> goes to bed what a life!!!!!

> He cant goon the treatment so I have no idea how

> that personally affects

> anyone's life just what we go through and it S***S.

> I just got out of the

> hospital from what was thought to be a heart attack,

> actually stress very bad

> and now I have to change a few things about the way

> I. Iive, Well that's

> easier said than done. I am not tolerant of things

> anymore and that includes

> well meaning people who haven't a clue. That's why I

> came here for I know

> there are others who are going through the same

> things. I have to admit some

> here are a lot stronger than I at times but I do

> what I can one day at a

> time. Irish

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Save up to 54% on Quest & Kelty tents, backpacks,

> sleeping bags and

> outdoor gear. FREE Shipping and a 30 Day Money-Back

> Guarantee at

> screaminghotdeals.com

>

1/4012/10/_/96144/_/958155123/

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

• 6 months later...

In a message dated 11/29/2000 11:15:42 AM Central Standard Time, lescase@... writes:

Hi O's !,,, I've maintained a much greater energy level on this diet which I'm thrilled about but my immune system still seems weak... still get colds in the winter especially and continuous sinus trouble. Would rather not go to the naturopath yet on this since I hate blood tests!!!!!! Debating on spending the $$ for Dr. D's multi vitamin, the probiotics, the deflect...

currently about 95% on diet w/ aerobics,, take calcium/mag and Dr. D's collinsonia, and fucus. I'm sure the Seattle rainy weather isn't helping ANY!! Prob. have mold allergies... anyway, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, and have a wonderfully healthy day!

I would visit a good chiropractor. I used to get everything that came down the pike, allergies, colds, if someone looked at me wrong I was gonna get sick. I have combined chiropractic, homeopathy (which doesn't require any blood tests), certain supplements (not from Dr. D if you want info email me privately), regular massage, and ER and haven't had any antibiotics or allergy problems in over 6 years. I get sick about 2-3 times a year instead of like 24 times a year.

If you want my testimonial or my criteria for a good chiropractor or more info on homeopathy, email me privately. Sometimes people on certain bulletin boards who shall remain nameless have gotten very touchy about me posting about chiropractic but if more than three people want me to repost my testimonial and my chiropractic criteria to the list I will gladly do so. And no, in the above sentence I was not referring to this group being touchy.

Tabitha

See my auctions http://www.ebay.com

Click search, then by seller, then enter mls 1

New items added daily

What about oregano or grapefruit seed extract? I think these are both neutral

-- anyone know for sure? I used to work at a HFS and these were both very

popular. The book " The Cure is in Your Cupboard " goes into great detail abut

the benefits of oregano (see http://www.droregano.com) so you may want to

check it out. Not sure what has been documented about grapefruit seed extract

- anyone else familiar with this one?

Tricia

In a message dated 11/29/00 10:15:44 AM, lescase@... writes:

<< Hi O's !,,, I've maintained a much greater energy level on this diet

which

I'm thrilled about but my immune system still seems weak... still get colds

in the winter especially and continuous sinus trouble. Would rather not go

to the naturopath yet on this since I hate blood tests!!!!!! Debating

on spending the $$ for Dr. D's multi vitamin, the probiotics, the deflect...

currently about 95% on diet w/ aerobics,, take calcium/mag and Dr. D's

collinsonia, and fucus. I'm sure the Seattle rainy weather isn't helping

ANY!! Prob. have mold allergies... anyway, any advice would be much

appreciated. Thanks so much, and have a wonderfully healthy day!

• 1 year later...

I am three week into recovery from the heller myotomy and I can't tell you how great it is. I know there is a doctor at the Mayo Clinic in ville FL who performs this surgery. I would encourge you to get your father in law there. How nice to be so concerned about your in=law.

advice?

My father-in-law has had achalasia for about 20 years I think. He was diagnosed with GERD first. Fifteen years agoa they did a dilation that ruptured his esophogus and he lost the use of one lung. Needless to say he doesn't like doctors or hopstitals. He has had trouble swallowing, vomitting oftne, etc. - All the things described by all you guys.His wife died 3 months ago and things have gotten worse. I have just started being involved in his health care. Two years ago he had pneumonia and was given botox, which he said had no effect. Last month he was in the hosptial becasue he got plugged for 5 days with nothing going down and not enough coming up. I worried about dehydration. He now is at the doctors in FL (he lives in NC) with I am afraid, pneumonia again.One question - will a wedge pillow do much good for keeping mucous, etc. out of wind pipe? Has anyone had long term success with the Heller's myotomy?I Hope this wasn't too long and noone stayed to the end. I worry about him and Doctor's in this area are not much help.

Yes, a wedge pillow will help to controle the choking a bit.

Especially since he had lung problems before, it is important to make

sure that food stuff does not go up into the lungs.

Raising the head end of the bed helps. Extra pillows, a wedge,

anything will be good. I used to sleep reclined on a " TV pillow "

before my surgery.

He should have his last meal as early as possible, so the food has

time to go down. Try to minimize the amount of food stuck in the

esophagus overnight. Eat mild foods in the evening that go down easy.

Try to find a good Gastroenterologist with experience with Achalasia.

Good Luck, Tanja

California, 5 months post surgery

> My father-in-law has had achalasia for about 20 years I think. He

> was diagnosed with GERD first. Fifteen years agoa they did a

> dilation that ruptured his esophogus and he lost the use of one

> lung. Needless to say he doesn't like doctors or hopstitals. He

has

> had trouble swallowing, vomitting oftne, etc. - All the things

> described by all you guys.

> His wife died 3 months ago and things have gotten worse. I have

just

> started being involved in his health care. Two years ago he had

> pneumonia and was given botox, which he said had no effect. Last

> month he was in the hosptial becasue he got plugged for 5 days with

> nothing going down and not enough coming up. I worried about

> dehydration. He now is at the doctors in FL (he lives in NC) with

I

> am afraid, pneumonia again.

> One question - will a wedge pillow do much good for keeping mucous,

> etc. out of wind pipe? Has anyone had long term success with the

> Heller's myotomy?

> I Hope this wasn't too long and noone stayed to the end. I worry

> about him and Doctor's in this area are not much help.

• 5 years later...

Hi ,

T4 takes about 25 days for any dose level to stabilise. Be careful about going too quick or you may overshoot the mark.

I would suggest peppermint tea made with a slice of fresh root ginger for the nausea. I like it best with a spoonful of honey as sweetner.

> thyroid treatment > From: xxsarahxx_40@...> Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:10:24 +0000> Subject: Advice?> > Does anyone have any advice or tips that would help with more anxiety > and feeling sick? this is a big problem for me right now and if > affecting me, is there anything I could take that might help?> I do believe this is a hypo symptom for me because I had it even worse > before diagnosis and could hardly eat until the evenings.> I have been back on T4 at 6 days at 50mcg, 5 days at 75mcg, does it > seem too early too increase again to 100mcg? Will it be getting back in > my system yet?> > > ------------------------------------> > TPA is not medically qualified. Consult with a qualified medical practitioner before changing medication.> >

Yes but I stopped my old dose of 150mcg for 3 weeks when I started HC so was wondering if I could increase quicker or is it still best to go slow again?--- On Sun, 14/9/08, jenny stenning <jennystenning@...>

Hi , T4 takes about 25 days for any dose level to stabilise. Be careful about going too quick or you may overshoot the mark. I would suggest peppermint tea made with a slice of fresh root ginger for the nausea. I like it best with a spoonful of honey as sweetner. > thyroidpatientadvoc acygroups (DOT) com> From: xxsarahxx_40@ .co. uk> Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:10:24 +0000> Subject: [thyroidpatientadvo cacy] Advice?> > Does anyone have any advice or tips that would help with more anxiety > and feeling sick? this is a big problem for me right now and if > affecting me, is there anything I could take that might help?> I do believe this is a hypo symptom for me because I had

it even worse > before diagnosis and could hardly eat until the evenings.> I have been back on T4 at 6 days at 50mcg, 5 days at 75mcg, does it > seem too early too increase again to 100mcg? Will it be getting back in > my system yet?> > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > TPA is not medically qualified. Consult with a qualified medical practitioner before changing medication.> >

Hi ,

Because you have been on T4 before you can probably go faster that someone who has not been on T4 before, but do be careful, as it can be very uncomfortable to accidentally send yourself hyper.

thyroid treatment From: xxsarahxx_40@...Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:12:28 +0000Subject: RE: Advice?

Yes but I stopped my old dose of 150mcg for 3 weeks when I started HC so was wondering if I could increase quicker or is it still best to go slow again?--- On Sun, 14/9/08, jenny stenning <jennystenning@...>

Hi , T4 takes about 25 days for any dose level to stabilise. Be careful about going too quick or you may overshoot the mark. I would suggest peppermint tea made with a slice of fresh root ginger for the nausea. I like it best with a spoonful of honey as sweetner. > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > TPA is not medically qualified. Consult with a qualified medical practitioner before changing medication.> >

Yes I will probably wait a bit longer before I increase, I sometimes cant tell the difference between hypo and hyper--- On Sun, 14/9/08, jenny stenning <jennystenning@...>

Hi , Because you have been on T4 before you can probably go faster that someone who has not been on T4 before, but do be careful, as it can be very uncomfortable to accidentally send yourself hyper.

thyroidpatientadvoc acygroups (DOT) comFrom: xxsarahxx_40@ .co. ukDate: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:12:28 +0000Subject: RE: [thyroidpatientadvo cacy] Advice?

Yes but I stopped my old dose of 150mcg for 3 weeks when I started HC so was wondering if I could increase quicker or is it still best to go slow again?--- On Sun, 14/9/08, jenny stenning <jennystenning@ hotmail.com>

Hi , T4 takes about 25 days for any dose level to stabilise. Be careful about going too quick or you may overshoot the mark. I would suggest peppermint tea made with a slice of fresh root ginger for the nausea. I like it best with a spoonful of honey as sweetner. > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > TPA is not medically qualified. Consult with a qualified medical practitioner before changing medication.> >

As we have been saying , the full effect of the T4 does take some time to get into your system, but you still have some way to go before getting anywhere near what you were on before and your body does sound as if it is screaming out for more. If this was me , and knowing that I had been on 150 mcgs T4 before starting the HC treatment, I would be tempted to increase by 25 mcgs. under the circumstances. Before you started L-thyroxine was the sickness you are feeling now as bad, and did it stop once you started L-thyroxine?

Luv - Sheila

Does anyone have any advice or tips that would help with more anxiety and feeling sick? this is a big problem for me right now and if affecting me, is there anything I could take that might help?I do believe this is a hypo symptom for me because I had it even worse before diagnosis and could hardly eat until the evenings.I have been back on T4 at 6 days at 50mcg, 5 days at 75mcg, does it seem too early too increase again to 100mcg? Will it be getting back in my system yet?

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1670 - Release Date: 13/09/2008 12:50

Before diagnosis Sheila I went through very similar symptoms as I am having now, and it probably was slightly worse back then, but what I am experiencing now is bad enough, the tiredness makes the sickness worse, it can go away for a short while in the day but it comes back and its really not nice, yes it did go away after diagnosis but I did suffer with it for a long while, my doc gave me an anti sickness pill back then and said because I wasnt actually being sick not to worry too much, but can you imagine what feeling sick all day feels like? I actually find myself boaking ( spelling? ) but am never sick. I do eat but before diagnosis when I had this I found eating very hard and even the thought of food made me feel sick, so yes this time round its not as bad. Anyone else had this as a hypo symptom? I really dont think its the HC as I have read that HC is

given to cancer patients to help with the nausea they get! Not make it worse! I am just a bit wary of increasing too much now I am on HC--- On Sun, 14/9/08, sheilaturner <sheilaturner@...>

As we have been saying , the full effect of the T4 does take some time to get into your system, but you still have some way to go before getting anywhere near what you were on before and your body does sound as if it is screaming out for more.

Luv - Sheila

Does anyone have any advice or tips that would help with more anxiety and feeling sick? this is a big problem for me right now and if affecting me, is there anything I could take that might help?I do believe this is a hypo symptom for me because I had it even worse before diagnosis and could hardly eat until the evenings.I have been back on T4 at 6 days at 50mcg, 5 days at 75mcg, does it seem too early too increase again to 100mcg? Will it be getting back in my system yet?

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1670 - Release Date: 13/09/2008 12:50

xxsarahxx_40,

You wrote:

> ... I have been back on T4 at 6 days at 50mcg, 5 days at 75mcg, does it

> seem too early too increase again to 100mcg?...

A prescribing guideline from 2006 for otherwise healthy patients under

50, tells doctors to go immediately to a " full replacement dose " and

titrate from there. That gets you feeling better much more quickly than

the older incremental titration approach. Gursoy A, et. al. " Which

thyroid-stimulating hormone level should be sought in hypothyroid

patients under L-thyroxine replacement therapy? " Int J Clin Pract. 2006

Jun;60(6):655-9.

It seems to me, that if your adrenal support was going to change your

reaction to T4, you would not still be hypoT after 75 mcg for five days.

But then, I still do not understand the rationale for taking you off

thyroid meds completely for more than a day or two.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I think the reason for starting people on T4 for the first time at low does is to protect them from going too high too quick and introducing the hormone slowly so that the body adapts.

I feel 3 weeks was too long for me to be off T4, I agree with that, I feel I can afford to go up quicker with the T4 but full absorption take 25 days I have been told for each dose increase, not sure if that applies in my case I have not just started the T4 and have been on it since Oct 2006. I do know someone who was put straight on 200mcg of T4 at diagnosis but I think he was in a pretty bad way--- On Sun, 14/9/08, Chuck B gumboyaya@...

It seems to me, that if your adrenal support was going to change your reaction to T4, you would not still be hypoT after 75 mcg for five days. But then, I still do not understand the rationale for taking you off thyroid meds completely for more than a day or two.Chuck

You wrote:

> ... full absorption take

> 25 days I have been told for each dose increase,...

If your thyroid is still partially working (not likely in your case), it

is possible to induce an oscillation in serum levels by sudden changes

in dosage. Sudden changes (even downward ones) cause anticipated

responses by the pituitary, which constitutes what we call a " positive

feedback " system. This is why for very mildly elevated TSH, they usually

use small increments and wait six weeks.

The timing really has nothing to do with full absorption. What goes in

is immediately put to use in peripheral tissue conversion to T3. The

real issue is that your dosage is no more than a " maintenance " dose

designed for a system which is " saturated " with nearly full serum

levels. Since the half life of T4 is a week, it technically takes ten

weeks to reach the saturation level or asymptote. However, six weeks is

a reasonably safe compromise.

If you jump in with dosage increase before the six weeks are up, it is

possible to overshoot. The TSH test does not give a valid indication at

that point (or an even less valid one, depending on your perspective).

To be really safe, the increments should be smaller the shorter the

waiting time was. OTOH, unless you have an ongoing cardiac problem,

larger jumps have been shown to be safe, as long as you stop at what is

calculated as your maximum replacement dose.

If I had gone for three weeks without medication, I would want to get

back to the euthyroid condition as quickly as I could stand it. I would

personally risk going slightly hyperT, especially if I had been on the

medication before and had a good idea of what the maximum dose was

likely to be.

Chuck

- you really need to find the cause of your nausea. This is yet again, a non-specific symptom of hypothyroidism, but there has to be a reason for it. You are undergoing so many hormonal changes and imbalances right now, probably more than most of us here at the moment, because you have been off thyroid hormone for so long, and then with the introduction of hydrocortisone, followed by starting your thyroxine yet again and all of this can also, on occasion, produce nausea - after all, just think of morning sickness during early pregnancy - so it is not impossible that hypothyroidism may be linked in your case. The inbalances you are experiencing right now should resolve once you get on the correct dose and your nausea should resolve. Do talk to your doctor about this, especially as he has treated you for this previously.

Luv - Sheila

Before diagnosis Sheila I went through very similar symptoms as I am having now, and it probably was slightly worse back then, but what I am experiencing now is bad enough, the tiredness makes the sickness worse, it can go away for a short while in the day but it comes back and its really not nice, yes it did go away after diagnosis but I did suffer with it for a long while, my doc gave me an anti sickness pill back then and said because I wasnt actually being sick not to worry too much, but can you imagine what feeling sick all day feels like? I actually find myself boaking ( spelling? ) but am never sick. I do eat but before diagnosis when I had this I found eating very hard and even the thought of food made me feel sick, so yes this time round its not as bad. Anyone else had this as a hypo symptom? I really dont think its the HC as I have read that HC is given to cancer patients to help with the nausea they get! Not make it worse! I am just a bit wary of increasing too much now I am on HC

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1670 - Release Date: 13/09/2008 12:50

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1671 - Release Date: 14/09/2008 07:16

Whoah Chuck - that might be a prescribing guideline for one group of doctors, but this is not something to be recommended on this forum. Can you imagine what might happen if we made such a recommendation there and members actually took this up, unsupervised. The consequences could be horrendous. We have to be seen to be responsible citizens when running health forums, and I personally would not consider recommending anybody to start with the 'full replacement dose' (how would one know that anyway???) as we know nothing about their health or heart condition, and in all probability, neither do some of our members. Those that dare might win....but those that daren't are more likely to live another day.

Luv - Sheila

A prescribing guideline from 2006 for otherwise healthy patients under 50, tells doctors to go immediately to a "full replacement dose" and titrate from there. That gets you feeling better much more quickly than the older incremental titration approach. Gursoy A, et. al. "Which thyroid-stimulating hormone level should be sought in hypothyroid patients under L-thyroxine replacement therapy?" Int J Clin Pract. 2006 Jun;60(6):655-9.Messages in this topic (8) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1671 - Release Date: 14/09/2008 07:16

Hi Chuck,

My 'starting' dose of thyroxine was 25mcg per day. I seem to be very

sensitive to lots of medications, etc and so my doctor started me on a

dose that he starts elderly patients on. As it was, I still had heart

palpitations when I took 25mcg. It took about 5 months before I was

able to increase my dose to 100mcg per day, and longer again before I

was physically able to increase it to 125mcg (current dose of

thyroxine).

Again, it is a case of not one size fits all.

Cheers,

P

I thought that too Sheila!!

I am now noticing that my basal temp is creeping up every morning, so slowly slowly is the key here, I certainly do not want to put mysefl back and want to keep moving forward, I do notice a fastish pulse sometimes, but nothing to worry about, anxiety I think sometimes, and I used to notice this in the early days with increases so I am going to continue to do what I am doing, am speaking to Dr P on wed so will ask advice on when to increase, and HOW do we know what a full replacement dose is? Everyone is different with different needs--- On Mon, 15/9/08, sheilaturner sheilaturner@...

Whoah Chuck - that might be a prescribing guideline for one group of doctors, but this is not something to be recommended on this forum. Can you imagine what might happen if we made such a recommendation there and members actually took this up, unsupervised. The consequences could be horrendous.

Luv - Sheila

A prescribing guideline from 2006 for otherwise healthy patients under 50, tells doctors to go immediately to a "full replacement dose" and titrate from there. That gets you feeling better much more quickly than the older incremental titration approach. Gursoy A, et. al. "Which thyroid-stimulating hormone level should be sought in hypothyroid patients under L-thyroxine replacement therapy?" Int J Clin Pract. 2006 Jun;60(6):655- 9.Messages in this topic (8) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1671 - Release Date: 14/09/2008 07:16

Probably those doctors believed that everybody converts T4 to T3 because if they knew otherwise, the consequences of giving such a high dose of T4 to somebody who couldn't convert could be pretty miserable for them and quite frightening, especially for those with low adrenal reserve. Remember, on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) in the thyroxine packets, it states categorically that before taking L-thyroxine, you must tell your doctor "...if you are suffering from a condition caused by an underactive adrenal gland". Unhappily for most of us, doctors are not aware of this and they should be made aware.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Chuck,

I think the reason for starting people on T4 for the first time at low does is to protect them from going too high too quick and introducing the hormone slowly so that the body adapts.

I feel 3 weeks was too long for me to be off T4, I agree with that, I feel I can afford to go up quicker with the T4 but full absorption take 25 days I have been told for each dose increase, not sure if that applies in my case I have not just started the T4 and have been on it since Oct 2006. I do know someone who was put straight on 200mcg of T4 at diagnosis but I think he was in a pretty bad wayMessages in this topic (9) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Hi P, I wonder if you could be having provlems because there could be failure of the 5 dei-iodinase enzyme? This is what happens if the adrenals are not responding properly, and provision of cortisone usually switches it on again. But sometimes it doesn't. If the illness has been going on too long, this enzyme seems to fail. This conversion failure (which continues to be explicable denied by many endocrinologists) means the thyroxine builds up, unconverted. So it doesn't work, and T4 toxicosis results. This makes you feel very unwell, toxic, often with palpitations and chest pain. If provision of adrenal support doesn't remedy the situation, the final solution is the use of the thyroid hormone already converted - T3

Being hypothyroid for some considerable time may mean the biochemical mechanisms which permit the binding of t3 to the receptors is downgraded, and the T3 just won't go in. With slow build up of T3, with full adrenal support and adequate vitamins and minerals, the receptors do actually come on line again. But this can be quite a slow process, and care has to be taken to build the dose up gradually.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Chuck,My 'starting' dose of thyroxine was 25mcg per day. I seem to be very sensitive to lots of medications, etc and so my doctor started me on a dose that he starts elderly patients on. As it was, I still had heart palpitations when I took 25mcg. It took about 5 months before I was able to increase my dose to 100mcg per day, and longer again before I was physically able to increase it to 125mcg (current dose of thyroxine). Again, it is a case of not one size fits all.Cheers,P

Sheila can I remind you of your answer of yesterday about the

patient information leaflet when I pointed out that it states that

you should not just stop taking thyroxine without consulting your GP.

Hi Chris

" The manufacturers of all drugs have to write their recommendations

on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL), this does not mean that

every single patient who takes those drugs must follow all of their

recommendations to the letter - each patient is an individual and

have different needs. The drug company recommendations and just

that - recommendations only. "

>

Remember, on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) in the thyroxine

packets, it states categorically that before taking L-thyroxine, you

must tell your doctor " ...if you are suffering from a condition

caused by an underactive adrenal gland " . Unhappily for most of us,

doctors are not aware of this and they should be made aware.

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>