RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Fiber

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>In one of the other messages someone mentioned fiber and whole grains.

>NT talks about the dangers with commercially processed " whole grains " , but is

there

>anything wrong with fiber?

>

>Is it over-rated (like several other things)?

>

>Is there anything wrong in seeking out fiber-rich foods?

>

>Thanks,

>Pratick

Fiber feeds bacteria in the gut and produces butyrate, which

is the main " food " for the gut lining. Butyrate is good stuff!

Butyrate is considered to be what protects us from colon cancer.

Butyrate is also produced (I'm pretty sure) from the breakdown

of some fats ... the smell of rancid butter is the butyrate component

(butyrate also STINKS).

However, grains are a fairly recent food for humans and you

can figure grain skins were not the typical source for fiber

in a paleo diet. While it IS true that eating whole grains is

statistically better than " white " flour, a diet full of fibrous

vegies is likely even better. The fiber in vegies is a lot less

abrasive, and apple skins in particular have pectin which

encourages the butyrate producing bacteria.

Also " grain skins "

have a lot of irritating stuff in them ... my family cannot handle

brown rice at all: maybe they could if I soaked it enough etc.

but it's easier to concentrate on good fruits/vegies. Vegies

also have a higher concentration of nutrients. The only thing

grains have that fruits/vegies don't is a high concentration

of calories, specifically strarch calories, that I don't really need

a lot of anyway.

Anyway: short answer is, there's nothing WRONG with fiber,

but adding plain " wheat bran " or " rice bran " to stuff is probably not

a great idea. If you are going with grain brans, make sure they are

fermented or otherwise neutralized ... otherwise, go for

vegie/fruit fiber. Whole blueberries are FULL of fiber!

Heidi Jean

Guest guest

Heidi-

I don't have time at the moment to dig up the necessary info for a

comprehensive post on the subject, but the evidence in favor of fiber has,

more and more as time goes on, proven to be erroneous or in some cases even

fraudulent. Also, the whole fiber-feeds-bacteria-which-is-good theory

relies on fermentative digestion, which humans are *not* adapted to and

which is unhealthy for us.

-

Guest guest

> I don't have time at the moment to dig up the necessary info for a

>comprehensive post on the subject, but the evidence in favor of fiber has,

>more and more as time goes on, proven to be erroneous or in some cases even

>fraudulent. Also, the whole fiber-feeds-bacteria-which-is-good theory

>relies on fermentative digestion, which humans are *not* adapted to and

>which is unhealthy for us.

>

>-

You know , of all the people on the list I respect your knowledge

base immensely, and yet we still end up playing Siskel-and-Ebert ... ! Why

is that????

I don't know all the evidence for fiber, but I basically subscribe to the Paleo

theory, which is: what humans ate for a million-or-so-years is likely what

we are used to. The cr & ^ remains suggest that humans then ate

whole plants (which include a mess of cellulose) and things like

animal fur, scales, bones. Their sh* & had lots of visible stuff in it,

kind of like the coyote scat I had the privilage (?) of viewing last

summer, after the coyote had eaten several of our chickens. I could

see parts of our chickens, partially digested ... I can't think of

an animal (or human tribe) in the wild that doesn't get a lot

of " fiber " of some sort or the other, maybe you can? In folks that

eat mainly protein/fat, it seems likely that much of the fat

is not absorbed, but gets fermented into butyrate, since

the gut can seemingly decide how much fat it wants to

absorb, so fat can act as a kind of " fiber " also.

Anyway, the evidence is that our guts seem to expect a lot

of undigestible stuff, and that stuff seems to participate

in the digestive process. I won't argue that it is mandatory,

but I personally feel better on a diet with more " stuff " in it,

esp. cellulose.

As for " fermentative digestion " ... what is the definition? There

is all kinds of evidence that bacteria are meant to play a

big part in digestion. Vitamin K being the biggie ... we can't make

vitamin K, and it is rare in foods. Only bacteria make it. If we are

short in it, we get narrow faces and brittle bones. But the Paleo

folks had wide faces and strong bones, so they must have

had great bacterial colonies in their guts. (Or they were

eating Natto?).

If you meant " yeast digestion " ... I tend to agree. Modern

humans likely have way too much yeast, because we eat

way too much starch/sugar of the wrong types.

Of course their are also bacteria that are the

wrong types too ... I don't think those flourish under a

Paleo type diet, based on personal experience. But I'm

interested in your definition. Given that we have more

bacterial cells in our guts than we have cells in our entire

bodies, according to some folks, saying " fermentative

digestion " isn't good is a big statement ... do you think we'd

be healthier with sterile guts?

Heidi Jean

Guest guest

>>>> Is there a fiber supplement that I can add to my son's diet. Since

my son has a carb issue we try to follow most scd guidelines (but are

not on the diet).

So are you needing a SCD appropriate fiber supplement? Or will any good

fiber supplement do?

Guest guest

Foraging for Fiber By Connie Sarros, author

of “Recipes for Special Diets” We hear more and more about incorporating fiber in our diets. But what exactly is fiber? Fiber is roughage that is too complex for the body to break down. It is found in plant foods and cannot be digested by humans. The benefits of fiber consumption are many: It cleanses the system. By keeping the arteries clean, it lowers cholesterol. Blood pressure is often reduced. Insulin levels are regulated. It may delay or reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, diverticulitis, IBS, hemorrhoids and phlebitis in the legs. Here is where the irony begins...Patients suffering from constipation are encouraged to consume a lot of dietary fiber (non-digestible carbohydrates and lignin from plants) because it acts as a mild laxative and promotes bowel evacuation. A 'mild laxative' is the last thing someone with diarrhea needs, right? Wrong! It is also recommended that IBS

patients go on a high-fiber diet. So how much is 'enough' fiber?The daily recommendation is 25 to 35 grams of combined soluble fiber (dissolves in water) and insoluble fiber ('roughage' that does not dissolve in water). Peas, beans and apples contain soluble fiber, which slows digestion and helps the body absorb nutrients from food. Flax seeds and nuts provide insoluble fiber, which helps foods pass through the stomach and intestines and adds bulk to the stool. It may also help control weight because it makes you feel full sooner. The total grams of fiber you should ingest depends on your system’s sensitivity. Just a warning: A high-fiber diet causes gas because the carbohydrates in high-fiber foods cannot be completely digested in the stomach and small intestine. It is best to increase the amount of fiber consumed slowly so your body can get used to it gradually. It is vital that, as fiber is increased in the diet, so is the consumption

of water. Where do you find fiber?Fiber is found in vegetable gums (konjac gum, gum Arabic, carrageenan, guar gum, locust bean gum, pectin vegetable gums, xanthan gum). It is also found in nature, in the foods we harvest from the ground. The following list shows some of the foods that are high in fiber: 1 oz. dry almonds (3g) 1 oz. roasted pumpkin seeds (10.2g) 1 oz. sunflower seeds (4g) 1 unpeeled medium apple (3.7g) 1 unpeeled pear (4.5g) 1 kiwi (5g) 4 oz. dried, sulfured apricots (8.8g) 4 oz. dried figs (10.5g) 10 dried prunes (6.1g) 1 cup raspberries (9g) 3/4 cup blackberries (7g) 1/2 cup baked beans (7g) 1/2 cup chick peas (7g) 1 cup boiled lentils (15.6g) 1/2 cup canned lima beans (5.8g) 1/2 cup navy beans (6.7g) 1/2 cup pinto refried beans (11g) 1 corn on the cob (5.9g) 1 cup white corn (11.2g) 3 1/2 cups air-popped

popcorn (4.5g) 2 oz. corn pasta, cooked (7.9g) 1/2 cup frozen peas, cooked (4.2g) You may eat 50 stalks of celery each day to get your recommended amount of fiber... or you may prefer to incorporate the suggestions below: Add nuts and seeds (sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds) to salads and casseroles, sprinkle over vegetables, and add to a veggie stir-fry. Or sprinkle them with seasonings, then roast them slowly in the oven for a healthy snack. Add cooked dried beans and shredded carrots to everything...from salads, to soups, to casseroles, to rice. (Cooking vegetables does not change the fiber content.) Eating dried beans four times a week has been shown to reduce the risk of colon cancer and heart disease. Eat plenty of fruits, especially citrus fruits, berries, prunes, figs or apricots. Keeping the skins on fruits (and vegetables) will add a small amount of extra fiber, but the skins are the

part that are most exposed to pesticides, so unless you are buying organic fruits and vegetables, you may be better off peeling them first. If you scrub the skin of the vegetables well, you benefit from leaving the skins on potatoes and zucchini. Add shredded zucchini to breads, muffins, stir-fries, and even scrambled eggs. Add shredded cabbage and peas to salads, soups, wraps, and stir-fried veggies. Use brown rice or quinoa in place white rice. Snack on popcorn. (Air-popped is the healthiest.) Sprinkle raisins on salads, puddings, canned fruit, baked apples, sweet potatoes, cereal, or just eat plain as a snack. Add shredded apples to pancake batters, quick breads, and yam dishes. Serve a baked apple for dessert instead of cookies. Eat a fresh apple, apricot, prune or orange instead of drinking the apple, apricot, prune or orange juice. Add dried cranberries to cereal, quick breads

and muffins, cookie batter, yam dishes, and salads. Make up a bowl of nuts, raisins and dried cranberries for snacking. Incorporate fruits with edible seeds (raspberries, blackberries) into your cereal, salads and desserts. Use flaxseed - LOTS of it! Flaxseed is the miracle fiber because it has very little taste of its own, which means it will not alter the taste of the foods you are preparing. It comes in three basic forms: whole seed, flour, and oil. The whole seed is the healthiest, but the seeds should be crushed slightly before using. Add the crushed seeds to cereal, breads and muffins, cookies, wraps, casseroles, crumb toppings... almost everything.

Suzi

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

health/

www.onegrp.com/?mamanott organic cosmetics

http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

Guest guest

A good amount yes. but you could also try a blender or add the pulp back in...Gayla <goatclearing@...> wrote: "Eat a fresh apple, apricot, prune or orange instead of drinking the apple, apricot, prune or orange juice." So juicing removes a lot of fiber? That is how I interpret this.

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

Guest guest

And did they rule out any kind of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?etteVisit my photo gallery:  http://www.pbase.com/gsds4meKiva, loans that change lives http://www.kiva.org/

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Candace P <candaceandbrock@...> wrote:

I thought it was the weirdest thing ever..... water used to just make me feel bloated and uncomfortable but now it feels like I'm drinking crushed glass. But OJ and other citric fruits are fine. It makes no sense. And mixing lemon juice in with the water -- my stomach is completely fine with that.

I talked to a guy who had gastro problems somewhat like mine but much more serious and he can't drink water either. Its extremely painful. He gave me the idea of watered down juice. Oddly enough that isn't a problem. I've brought this up to several doctors who all just said " huh that's strange " ..... And it is.

At this point I don't know what to do. I don't want to cut my gallbladder out but I tried a liver/gallbladder cleanse and the pain in my guts was amazing. I don't know if it was a " this is doing some good " pain or if it was a " hey dumby stop this crap immediately " kind of pain. It just hurt. A lot.

I'm looking for alternatives other than surgery but I don't know what to do right now. Since cutting meat out of my diet and other things that seem to be hard to digest (BREAD!!!) things are better but I still have moments of the most excruciating pain and it happens way too often even if it is less often than before.

Candace

Guest guest

is it tap water, distilled water, mineral water, ro water?  just curious if your sensitivity matters in what KIND of water you drink.  are you taking any supplements? what kind of supplements?  if drinking water is so painful, how about drinking green smoothies or even veggie juice?

My personal experience with green smoothies when it comes to digestion compared to chewing whole food is that i do notice a difference in what form I digest the veggies.If it doesn't hurt to down veggie juice (assuming you have a juicer and the money and time to juice veggies), I'd at LEAST be taking that in.  I know personally and for a few others I've known who've tried it on my suggestion (my dad and his high blood pressure - has significantly decreased bp over time - almost off meds; and my friend who's had stomach issues when eating - causing cramps and diarrhea - now almost gone if at all, to name two people), have benefitted.  I have read about possibilities of consuming raw, BUT i've never really read a personal testimony of real issues taking in greens liquified.

Just by common sense, it makes sense to me (and from direct experience) that initially there are some adverse reactions to taking greens, but after day3 of consistent regular intake (about 32-48oz/day), the adverse symptoms minimize or go away completely, and the body begins to thrive from the nutrient dense intake of minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and all the associated goodies that health/nutrition science have discovered in whole foods.

my friend with the stomach problems had MAJOR stomach cramps only on day 3 of his smoothies intake.  He had minor symptoms on previous days (mild headache, joint pain), but day3 was his stomach (his known weakspot).  Unless you have a birth defect or abnormality from when you were much younger (elementary school or younger) to digesting veggies, i'd imagine that you can benefit in the same way that many others can.  EVERYONE requires the same nutrients... and i also understand at later stages in life, we become less tolerant and have an array of thresholds for various foods/nutrients depending on the condition our bodies have worn down to.

If the doctors are scratchin their heads about your situation and their solution is to cut out parts from your body... boy... i'd ALSO be searching for natural remedies.  I know you say what you're going through is painful... and i can only imagine from the few times in my life that i have had excruciating pain in my gut from bad food consumed...

for myself, I'd be monitoring my overall personal metrics to understand my body's baseline and trends.  for example, blood pressure average over the next few days, resting heart rate, weight, energy levels, comfort/pain throughout day (anything that stands out - log when/what was going on)... and once I had a baseline, I'd take ONE remedy consistently for a solid 10days AND continue to log my metrics.

troubleshooting/guessing what to do in your situation is hard if all details of the situation is not accounted for.  The more detailed you are about your environment, intake, routine, the better one can self-diagnose by observing trends/patterns from various stimuli/events around the symptoms experienced.

In my personal experience, I have come to know WHAT affects my energy levels, WHEN, HOW... I have come to know what causes my stomach to cramp, WHEN, HOW... Sad but true, no one knows our bodies better than we do, if we actually take the time to get to know the details.  Otherwise, we are, unfortunately, left to being measured/diagnosed to the average of the many (which can be a very broad range), instead of measured against OUR personal/customized " norm. "

How urgent is your situation?  When do you have to make a decision on your situation regarding surgery or not?Kelvin

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Candace P <candaceandbrock@...> wrote:

I thought it was the weirdest thing ever..... water used to just make me feel bloated and uncomfortable but now it feels like I'm drinking crushed glass. But OJ and other citric fruits are fine. It makes no sense. And mixing lemon juice in with the water -- my stomach is completely fine with that.

I talked to a guy who had gastro problems somewhat like mine but much more serious and he can't drink water either. Its extremely painful. He gave me the idea of watered down juice. Oddly enough that isn't a problem. I've brought this up to several doctors who all just said " huh that's strange " ..... And it is.

At this point I don't know what to do. I don't want to cut my gallbladder out but I tried a liver/gallbladder cleanse and the pain in my guts was amazing. I don't know if it was a " this is doing some good " pain or if it was a " hey dumby stop this crap immediately " kind of pain. It just hurt. A lot.

I'm looking for alternatives other than surgery but I don't know what to do right now. Since cutting meat out of my diet and other things that seem to be hard to digest (BREAD!!!) things are better but I still have moments of the most excruciating pain and it happens way too often even if it is less often than before.

Candace

health Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 7:23 PM

purified mineral water hurts ur stomach??? I'm baffled esp consideringthat water is one of the body's critical essentials for life! unlessthere is some kind of birth trait that is functionally and genetically

different from the rest of the human species, I wonder if ur reactn toclean/pure water is temporary and aftr a particular point, ur bodywill b 'happy' w water.have u had chia seeds for sustenance during a light fasting/detox period?

what's ur plan to get past this and how do u plan to improve ur situation?via cell

Recent Activity

New Members

Visit Your Group

Give Back

for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

Guest guest

Wow if a person is suppose to pee every 2 hours Im waay off. I've always thought it odd I rarely go in the morning... But thinkin now... I believe I peed once today. What I've consumed: one glass of watered down OJ. One 16.9 oz bottle of water with squirt of lemon. 2 bites steamed broccoli before my stomach let me know that wasn't happening.Some days I eat nothing. My stomach hurts and it's not worth it. Sometimes it's normal to only eat and drink every other day. I feel better on days I go without. On days I do eat it's something simple: an activia yogurt or steamed veggies or just a lil container of applesauce.It's not a lot but I eat it and need a nap after. My activity is minimal because so is my energy. I know I should eat more but it's not worth it... So yes mostly a liquid diet. Appx 2 bottles of water with a smidge of some kind of juice in

it.And thats it besides the superfood pills on days I do eat or the occasional attempt to squeeze down a superfood drink.When I eat I'm stuffed to the brim after 1-2 bites. They say thats a gallbladder thing.CandaceSent from my iPhoneOn Jun 21, 2009, at 5:08 AM, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:

About the distilled water, I suspected it would be rough for you

considering it's devoid of minerals and a lot more aggressive state

than mineralized water. If your system (which it really sounds like)

is low/depleted of minerals... running distilled water through your

system can make for a less than "pleasant" experience - as you've

described. Do you have an accurate measure of how much liquids intake

(and types of liquids) you take in DAILY? Because citrus water

(assuming you're OK with lemon squeezed water), is easier on your

system, can you do about 120oz per day of lemon water? How often do

you go #1, and when you do, is it much? I'm ASSUMING it's not much

nor too frequent. Aside from bladder problems or frequent urination,

I can tell when I'm well hydrated (aside from observing skin condition

and energy levels) when I'm running to the bathroom every 2hrs or less

and pushing out (easily) 12-16oz.

I recall your considering all these "cleanse kits" and PERHAPS they

may be something you'll need considering the extreme condition you've

described you're in. But even before doing that, the basics are

always good to have in place - drinking PLENTY of fluids low in sugars

(for the reason that you noted how your blood sugar shot up).

Maybe my guess is wrong (lemme know), but it doesn't sound like you're

pushing out 12-16oz per 1.5-2hrs every day... are you? If you cannot

do mineral water (perhaps mineral content of mineral water is too

low?), can you do lemon water (or just VERY WATERED DOWN cranberry

juice - how about just pure cranberry juice - i know it's tart, but it

ain't THAT bad. if you get cranberry juice... get the pure NOT the

cocktail sweet crap).

anyway... first things first... are you outputting at least 12-16oz

per 1.5-2hrs per day?? If not, can you START increasing your liquid

intake so that you can get to that level? the sooner you can hydrate

yourself properly, the better position you'll be in. Do what works

for you. If you need to do watered down juice (1 juice to 4 water

ratio), then do that. I'd just be concerned about sugar intake in

your current state. sugar can just jack you up worse than you already

are.

no effort nor amount of cleanse kits you spend your time tinkering

with will help unless you get the basics down first - HYDRATION! so

what is your average frequency and volume output? remember: we cannot

manage what we do not measure! while you don't have to be precise,

you should at least have a good idea of your average and frequency of

metrics.

secondly, are you mostly liquid diet for now? what do you eat daily

(and honestly)?

Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Candace P<candaceandbrock > wrote:

>

>

> My odd relationship with water has been goin on for years. Distilled water

> makes me nauseous. When I do cleanses and stick to just distilled I have to

> lay down after drinking it to keep from throwing it back up. It was that way

> before my stomach was messed up. Right now I drink purified water. That was

> workin the best until January when my stomach went nuts. Now no water is

> safe. I've tried the Brita water filters, they have Culligan at work, and

> I've tried various brands of purified water from the grocery store.

>

> I have a mental *thing* with veggie juice. I was force fed V8 when I was

> little so just thinking about drinking it makes me gag. But I can drink it

> mixed with fruit juice. I try to drink a Superfood drink or take 6 superfood

> pills each day if I can hold anything down. Since my stomach doesn't digest

> well even those pills hurt but its tolerable. Other supplements are

> pointless. They just feel like they're rotting out the bottom of my stomach

> for the rest of the day. I don't think they go anywhere for a long time and

> probably make it into my intestines in one piece. So I stopped taking

> anything else.

>

> As many years as I've been constipated... I'd imagine there isn't a whole

> lot of nutrients making it through my intestinal walls because they're

> probably all caked in sh*t. I notice an immediately change in energy when I

> drink the Superfood drink, though. Maybe I should just try drinking one of

> those for each meal. Even if it hurts, and I'd probably just keep losing

> weight... at least I'd get an energy boost. Everything else I eat or drink

> makes me want an immediate nap.

> I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my first post a month ago but my BP goes

> uuuuuup then back to normal. then uuuuuuuuup and my heart rate does the same

> thing. I can be sitting in one spot and my heart rate will jump from 60 to

> 130 beats per minute and stay there for a half hour then just BAM go back to

> normal.

> BMs are rare but when they do happen there's a lot of dry blood in them and

> after that ultrasound of my guts it was hours of bloody diarhea, weakness,

> and dizziness..... "they" think my pancreas is bleeding because of all the

> stones lodged in it. When it bleeds my heart rate and blood pressure go up

> to try to make up for it but w/out the nutrients to make more blood......

> I spend a lot of time in bed. Lets just put it that way. I miss having

> energy. My gastroenterologist actually recommended I talk to a surgeon about

> exploratory surgery. Just let some one open me up and poke around!?!? That

> idea scares the pants off me.

>

> I've lost quite a bit of weight - and really didn't need to, am anemic, and

> the pain. Oh my goodness the PAIN....... there have been times I couldn't

> get up off the floor to save my life and had to make a physical effort to

> breathe. Its undescribable pain.

>

> I think I'll try a Superfood drink with fresh squeezed apple and carrot

> juice with a banana for each meal. And I'll see what that does to me. I was

> avoiding eating veggies and just eating fruit fruit fruit because veggies

> hurt but then my blood sugar went whacko so maybe I should be drinking

> vegetables instead of eating them!!! - mixed with a little fruit juice to

> trick my taste buds of course.

> Candace

>

>

>>

>> From: Kelvin <kelvin.internet@ gmail.com>

>> Subject: Re: [HAWK_Health_ Awareness] Re: FIBER

>> HAWK_Health_ Awareness

>> Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 7:23 PM

>>

>> purified mineral water hurts ur stomach??? I'm baffled esp considering

>> that water is one of the body's critical essentials for life! unless

>> there is some kind of birth trait that is functionally and genetically

>> different from the rest of the human species, I wonder if ur reactn to

>> clean/pure water is temporary and aftr a particular point, ur body

>> will b 'happy' w water.

>>

>> have u had chia seeds for sustenance during a light fasting/detox period?

>>

>> what's ur plan to get past this and how do u plan to improve ur situation?

>>

>> via cell

>>

>> Recent Activity

>>

>>  1

>> New Members

>>

>> Visit Your Group

>> Give Back

>> for Good

>>

>> Get inspired

>>

>> by a good cause.

>>

>> Y! Toolbar

>> Get it Free!

>>

>> easy 1-click access

>>

>> to your groups.

>>

>>

>> Start a group

>>

>> in 3 easy steps.

>

> Connect with others.

>

> .

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Question about these smoothies....

Do you juice the fruit/vegetable first? And then create the smoothie with those or do you use the whole fruit and vegetable?

Caroline

Guest guest

>>I think, when Kelvin says " smoothie " , he might mean green smoothies.  You are drinking carrot juice and apple juice so why not put that juice in a blender and add a few leaves of something green.  <<YES... smoothie = " green smoothie " and NOT the fru fru sugar packed jamba juice " smoothie. " mine CAN taste as good (even better) than any retail brand's, BUT i can certainly tell you that my (green) smoothies have the nutritional density kick that the others don't.  talk about letting thy food be thy medicine... I build my smoothies function first, taste later.  unfortunately, when I focus on function first, I'm usually the only one that can take ~48oz worth in one sitting.  :)  gotta watch the sugar factor!

Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 7:46 AM, SV <shavig@...> wrote:

Omygawd, you are a mess.  I am so sorry for your pain and challenges.

I think, when Kelvin says " smoothie " , he might mean green smoothies.  You are drinking carrot juice and apple juice so why not put that juice in a blender and add a few leaves of something green.  Start with just one romaine leaf, whirl to liquify and drink that. Try gradually building yourself up to a half a head or even more.  I know it sounds gaggy but they really are very tasty.  It only took me a year of thinking about drinking one!  Now I wished I hadn't waited so long, they are delish!  Boutenko wrote a book on the green smoothie:  www.rawfamily.com

My personal favorite this time of year is spinach and cantelope.  I love it!  I've been known to add water to my smoothies when I'm combining mango and greens or apples and greens.  It helps the blender keep moving to make it all liquid.

Shari

Guest guest

>>Do you juice the fruit/vegetable first?  And then create the smoothie with those or do you use the whole fruit and vegetable?<<it's ALL BLENDER.  gotta pack the nutritious and beneficial fiber and hidden nutrients that come along with the pulp of the whole food blended.  I think the concentrated juices are great for extreme cases like Candace's situation, but i believe blended whole foods is sufficient for daily intake.  Since our bodies can benefit from the whole, I definitely seek to take advantage of the WHOLE FOOD!

for taste, i use banana for texture and lemon for taste (to offset any bitterness from any veggie that is bitter).Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Caroline <theladie@...> wrote:

Question about these smoothies....

Do you juice the fruit/vegetable first?  And then create the smoothie with those or do you use the whole fruit and vegetable?

Caroline

Guest guest

>>Sometimes I just throw water and fruit and greens in the blender, but a lot of times I will make fresh juice and use that instead of the water.  I have even been known to make carrot/apple juice, put it in the blender with a green and blend.

During orange season I was juicing oranges and putting the juice in the blender with greens.<<your method DEFINITELY takes into consideration taste.  :)  my son would LOVE YOUR smoothies haha.>>Hopefully you have a blender that is very strong.  I've had green smoothies from weak blenders and it's like drinking confetti!<<here's a good place to review blenders for starters...http://www.consumersearch.com/blendersto offset the " confetti " texture, throw in a banana or two and ICE! :)

I definitely throw in water and ice in all my smoothies and skip the fruit juice - but then, i'm the only one that would prolly be able to really stand my " smoothie " doing it that way.Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM, SV <shavig@...> wrote:

Sometimes I just throw water and fruit and greens in the blender, but a lot of times I will make fresh juice and use that instead of the water.  I have even been known to make carrot/apple juice, put it in the blender with a green and blend.

During orange season I was juicing oranges and putting the juice in the blender with greens.

Hopefully you have a blender that is very strong.  I've had green smoothies from weak blenders and it's like drinking confetti!

Be sure and chew your juices as well.

Shari

Guest guest

>>

And did they rule out any kind of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?<<and THIS is yet another consideration to " do smoothies " http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

notice the IF rating (inflamation factor)... the ingredients put into your smoothies can be a great help to offset inflammation.Kelvin

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM, ette <behindmylens@...> wrote:

And did they rule out any kind of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?etteVisit my photo gallery:  http://www.pbase.com/gsds4meKiva, loans that change lives http://www.kiva.org/

Guest guest

Ice in your smoothies is not a good idea according to Boutenko and Wolfe. When we drink cold or even hot beverages the body needs to warm them up or cool them down to body temperature before they can be utilized and there goes more wasted energy that could be used for healing.

My filtered, spiralized water sits in a glass jar on the counter so it's room temperature for drinking.

Shari

Guest guest

eeek... i had considered NOT using ice...but the amount of ice i put in there brings it more to a cool temp than an icy temp.  i'll be more mindful of drinking it at room temp (blech)... and i was just starting to get used to the taste.  warm... hmmm... that's a different consideration.

as for energy it takes to warm it up in the body... i suppose if we were to look at the most efficient intake of the beverage, then ok.  well, i'll definitely try it and see what kind of results i notice for a week or two to see if any.  the temp ... just checked it... is at 40deg F... to warm it up to 98... hmmm... ewww... ok... it's all mental! :) i mean... YUM!

good point, tho... thanks for your input!  48oz of 40-50deg smoothie can take some energy to warm up... wasted energy that can be better spent.  <sigh> the economy of energy!thx!Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:26 PM, SV <shavig@...> wrote:

Ice in your smoothies is not a good idea according to Boutenko and Wolfe.  When we drink cold or even hot beverages the body needs to warm them up or cool them down to body temperature before they can be utilized and there goes more wasted energy that could be used for healing.

My filtered, spiralized water sits in a glass jar on the counter so it's room temperature for drinking.

Shari

Guest guest

organic lemons... wash them down with soap and water (like i do my dishes)... hmmm... i wonder if you're gonna ask about the residue of the kinda dish soap i use... hmmmm... maybe i should just use a scrubber and hot water...

but YES, peeeeeeel and all!  yum yum!  AND so cleansing for you too! :)Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM, SV <shavig@...> wrote:

Do you use the entire lemon?  Peel and all?

Shari

Guest guest

I'll definitely make a big effort to drink more water. When all this

got really bad... back in January.... it started out with reoccuring

kidney infections. I was drinking a lot more water and juice back then

and I was putting on 5 lbs a day at times My record was 8 lb weight

gain in 24 hours. I was just bloating up, none of it was coming out.

That scared me away from water a bit and I guess I never really got

over that.... unconsciously.

I set a reminder on my phone to go off every hour - and I'll drink 1/2

a bottle of water every time I'm alerted even if it kills me. The fact

I don't ever get hungry or thirsty doesn't help my situation but the

reminders should do the trick!!! When I'm at home I should just follow

my 6 year old's lead. Every 30 minutes I swear "mom I'm thirsty!" I'm

constantly being harassed Juice Water Milk Milk Water Water Juice Juice

Milk Water........ I thought he had an overactive bladder but maybe

he's normal. Ha!

Candace

Date: June 21, 2009 6:44:55 AM CDT

health

Subject: Re: Re: FIBER

Reply-health

> Wow if a person is suppose to pee every 2 hours Im waay

off. I've always

> thought it odd I rarely go in the morning...

that's when *I* know i'm well hydrated. I have now made the practice

of drinking 16oz first thing when i get up ( i have a glass of water

on standby at my nightstand).

EQUALLY WOW... that you don't go in the morning!

before we can step up to the next level in health or making any

positive change for ourselves (cleansing kits, etc.), it's CRITICAL

and FUNDAMENTAL that the basic needs of the body are met first in

order to get things progressing in the healthy "right" direction.

I would highly encourage you to up your liquids intake. In fact, I

find it negligent that your doctors never considered the OBVIOUS

before rushing to recommend surgery! Whether ignorant or negligent,

the recommendation is extreme before ensuring the basics of nutrition.

I personally think a liquid diet for starters, CAN help your

situation. You need to get unstuck... you need to take baby steps

before moving on to solids. But even in your "baby steps" (drinking

fluids), you are EXTREMELY LOW in what you're putting into your system

for water! It makes A LOT MORE SENSE now, after describing how much

you drink in.

Before I assume some more... has your liquid intake typically been

this low on average over the past 3months? if not, was it much higher

before? and if so, how much higher?

I don't mean to press on the questions, but I'm just following up on

your email about alternatives to surgery for your situation. what we

are discussing now is DEFINITELY a fundamental that needs to be

addressed from a general health standpoint.

gonna get some shut eye... PLEASE DRINK MORE... you CAN greatly

improve your condition if you were to consistently for the next

10days, consume over 100oz of water a day... or at LEAST half your

weight in ounces. for example, I weigh 175lbs. by that measure, rule

of thumb for water intake should be at LEAST (=175/2) 87.5oz

start today and let us know how you're doing in 10days. drink

THROUGHOUT the day. do the math... assuming you're awake 12hrs of the

day, just take 100oz/12hrs = 8.3333oz of water per hour (or a cup per

hour) OR do 17oz every 2hrs for a 12hr period. drink water the way you

can take it w/o harsh side effects (just minimize the sugar intake in

the water consumed).

if you can start with that, I promise you'll be in a better position

10days from now.

lastly... considering the "superfood pills" i wouldn't be surprised if

you had a hard time with those... those are concentrated pills that

dissolve in your stomach. the impact of those pills can be due to the

disolution of those pills in your stomach.

just reread your email...

2 bottles of water ... that's roughly 34oz of water! and only peeing

ONCE in a day????? CANDACE!

shame on your doctors for not taking note of your intake. as for not

taking in solids... do what you can... but don't take in solids if

your stomach hurts. consider making a broth of your veggies by

blending your veggies and making soup from that (add seasoning as

needed). go baby food mush until your stomach can handle solids.

babysteps first.

but first things first... 2 bottles of water a day????? terrible.

start with half your weight in ounces as mentioned above.

ok...g'nite... START TODAY (whenever your day starts)... in fact..

down a 16ozer RIGHT NOW. it's never too late to start and never too

early to start. DRINK DRINK DRINK!

Kelvin

Guest guest

for efficiency purposes, i think a warm beverage is good...but for just starting out... do what works, i think.Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Candace Podratz <cpodratz@...> wrote:

aaaw and I was thinking the ice was a great idea. In my Superfood

drinks I always use a frozen banana. It doesn't make it really cold but

it does make it cold enough to be more pleasant. Lukewarm juice has

never been my thing.

Candace

Guest guest

haha... you must be a vampire... you start your emails at about 11p and go on til 3ish am?! :)  i'm prolly gonna call it quits early tonite.  over the past 5 days, i've been very LAX on what i ate...never stuffing myself tho.  i have literally gained 10lbs in 5days!

anyway about your retaining water... when you were drinking more... did you go pee more frequently at least?and how frequently/much were you drinking back then?Kelvin

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Candace Podratz <cpodratz@...> wrote:

I'll definitely make a big effort to drink more water. When all this

got really bad... back in January.... it started out with reoccuring

kidney infections. I was drinking a lot more water and juice back then

and I was putting on 5 lbs a day at times My record was 8 lb weight

gain in 24 hours. I was just bloating up, none of it was coming out.

That scared me away from water a bit and I guess I never really got

over that.... unconsciously.

I set a reminder on my phone to go off every hour - and I'll drink 1/2

a bottle of water every time I'm alerted even if it kills me. The fact

I don't ever get hungry or thirsty doesn't help my situation but the

reminders should do the trick!!! When I'm at home I should just follow

my 6 year old's lead. Every 30 minutes I swear " mom I'm thirsty! " I'm

constantly being harassed Juice Water Milk Milk Water Water Juice Juice

Milk Water........ I thought he had an overactive bladder but maybe

he's normal. Ha!

Candace

Guest guest

Ha ha yeah..... my trial and error smoothies when I first got my juicer

were TERRIBLE! I always wanted to put garlic in them because its so good

for you but WOW does it pack a punch in juice form! never found a 100%

veggie smoothie I could tolerate.

I did feed one of these smoothies to my dog once and it got rid of his

worms though. Ha ha ha

Candace

Kelvin wrote:

>

>

> >>

> I think, when Kelvin says " smoothie " , he might mean green smoothies.

> You are drinking carrot juice and apple juice so why not put that

> juice in a blender and add a few leaves of something green.

> <<

>

> YES... smoothie = " green smoothie " and NOT the fru fru sugar packed

> jamba juice " smoothie. "

>

> mine CAN taste as good (even better) than any retail brand's, BUT i

> can certainly tell you that my (green) smoothies have the nutritional

> density kick that the others don't. talk about letting thy food be

> thy medicine... I build my smoothies function first, taste later.

> unfortunately, when I focus on function first, I'm usually the only

> one that can take ~48oz worth in one sitting. :) gotta watch the

> sugar factor!

> Kelvin

>

>

Guest guest

I was gonna look and see if tapeworms will eat stones and if so do a

tapeworm enema. :-)

I think when I could eat I ate enough garlic to kill off any parasites.

There's an olive bar at the grocery store nearby that has garlic

soaking in olive oil with hot peppers..... mmmm I could sit down and

eat 30 cloves in one sitting. Crunchy and HOT but the olive oil made it

easier on my stomach. My sister tried some and said more than 3 cloves

and she got diarrhea. It never had that effect on me. In fact, 4 tall

glasses of prune juice didn't either. I think my body is diarrhea proof

(besides after ultrasounds of my guts - OUCH) I'm broken.

Candace

SV wrote:

I was wondering if she has a parasite of some

sort.

Shari