RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

weight gain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know this sounds odd, but for the most part...ignore the scale. If you need to look at it to mark progress, then just use the one and weigh the same time of the day, and the same day of the week. The pre-op weigh-in at the hospital was fine for it's general purpose, but I don't weigh myself fully clothed at home, so I just trust my home scale and go by it. The best measurement tools for me have been the NSVs: clothes too baggy, comments from people at work, blood work two months post op, my watch feeling loose, using the leather-punch on my bests...four times before getting new belts, putting the CPAP away in the closet, and BEST OG ALL an inner confidence that no matter what...I know I made the right decision for me for the right reasons and refuse to become a prisoner to a scale dictating my feelings or causing me to make unhealthy decisions (like starving and dehydrating for the sake of that next pound). My advice...followw the plan Dr. A and Dr. C have set up for you; there is a plethora of us here for you that are living proof the program works...when we do. -jim DOB: 10/3/07 276/215/185janna singh <singhjanna@...> wrote: hello. i had finally had my surgery on feb 2. it is so hard for me to stay on liquid diet, i am counting days until i can at least have some yougurt or mashed potatoes!! but i was wondering 1 thing. my weight a day before surgery was 275 and now 5 days after surgery on

liquids only my weight is showing 301 pounds!!!!!!!! does anyone know what is going on???? janna s.justice9311 <justice9311 > wrote: >> I will be arriving 2/13 with my husband. Then having LB done on > 2/14. Is there anyone else out there who will be there at this time? > I'm excited and a little nervous. I can't believe it's only 1 week > away! > > 284//>Shoot, I'm just going to miss you! I'm scheduled for Feb. 19, we'll be arriving in San Diego on Feb 17 ... please be sure and post on your experience when you get back. Good luck to you!

:) Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Janna, I gained a couple of pounds about 6 days post-surgery and I

think I can point to high sodium for it. I was craving salt (after

too many sweet protein drinks and such!) and had been drinking a lot

of broth.

And for several days after surgery, my stomach was swollen to the

point that I had a definite indentation at the port incision. Some

of that I expected because of how it's all done, but now, 12 days

out, there's barely a dip. I also didn't really start passing any

gas until about day three and day six was the worst for shoulder

pain. That lasted a couple of days but about day 10 even that was

completely gone. Chances are, most of what you're seeing is just

swelling and residual gas.

in AR who is not a doctor and doesn't play one on television ;o)

DOB 1/28/08

297/283/200 for now

>

> no they didnt even check my weight at the doctors. i checked at

home, same scale before and after, and my stomack looks kinda bigger

too!

> janna s.

>

Guest guest

>

> Been on it for 2 yrs and gained alot of weight. How long does it take

> to come off it safely?

>

My doctor says 3 months, i have the directions on getting off of it if

you need it.

Guest guest

I would really appreciate the directions to get off it!

Thanks

Louise

trapper47562 <trapper47562@...> wrote: ---

In Lexapro , " louisekingston " <louisekingston@...>

wrote:

>

> to come off it safely?

>

you need it.

---------------------------------

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Ha Louise,, My doctor says when its time to go off lexapro the first month

take a pill two days in a role then skip one.Do that the first month Then the

second month take one everyother day.The third month take a pill every third

day, then no more the fourth month. hope this helps.

Louise Kingston <louisekingston@...> wrote: I would really

appreciate the directions to get off it!

Thanks

Louise

trapper47562 <trapper47562@...> wrote:

>

> to come off it safely?

>

you need it.

Guest guest

Thanks a million for that!

travis sims <trapper47562@...> wrote: Ha Louise,, My doctor says

when its time to go off lexapro the first month take a pill two days in a role

then skip one.Do that the first month Then the second month take one everyother

day.The third month take a pill every third day, then no more the fourth month.

hope this helps.

Louise Kingston <louisekingston@...> wrote: I would really appreciate the

directions to get off it!

Thanks

Louise

trapper47562 <trapper47562@...> wrote:

>

> to come off it safely?

>

you need it.

Guest guest

Jim, Congratulations on your great weight loss. You are truely a loser! I had surgery on June 21, 2007 and I have lost about 40 lbs. I do not have a scale at home and so I only weigh when I go to the doctor. Would you please share with us your eating plan? I do realize that men lose much faster than women as a rule but gosh...it seems so unfair. What size band do you have and how many fills have you had? Thanks Jim Hansel

<bchc59@...> wrote: I know this sounds odd, but for the most part...ignore the scale. If you need to look at it to mark progress, then just use the one and weigh the same time of the day, and the same day of the week. The pre-op weigh-in at the hospital was fine for it's general purpose, but I don't weigh myself fully clothed at home, so I just trust my home scale and go by it. The best measurement tools for me have been the NSVs: clothes too baggy, comments from people at work, blood work two months post op, my watch

feeling loose, using the leather-punch on my bests...four times before getting new belts, putting the CPAP away in the closet, and BEST OG ALL an inner confidence that no matter what...I know I made the right decision for me for the right reasons and refuse to become a prisoner to a scale dictating my feelings or causing me to make unhealthy decisions (like starving and dehydrating for the sake of that next pound). My advice...followw the plan Dr. A and Dr. C have set up for you; there is a plethora of us here for you that are living proof the program works...when we do. -jim DOB: 10/3/07 276/215/185janna singh <singhjanna > wrote: hello. i had finally had my surgery on feb 2. it is so hard for me to stay on liquid diet, i am counting days until i can at

least have some yougurt or mashed potatoes!! but i was wondering 1 thing. my weight a day before surgery was 275 and now 5 days after surgery on liquids only my weight is showing 301 pounds!!!!!!!! does anyone know what is going on???? janna s.justice9311 <justice9311 > wrote: >> I will be arriving 2/13 with my husband. Then having LB done on > 2/14. Is there anyone else out there who will be there at this time? > I'm excited and a little nervous. I can't believe it's only 1 week > away! > > 284//>Shoot, I'm just going to miss you! I'm scheduled for Feb. 19, we'll be arriving in San

Diego on Feb 17 ... please be sure and post on your experience when you get back. Good luck to you! :) Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Hi Jane, I am not the best eater, I admit it. I can't eat solids before at least 10am, so I have a home recipe Orange Julius for breakfast nearly every day. Simply, a half can of frozen OJ, some ice cubes, milk, water and a touch of vanilla and a scoop of Isopure. I end up with about 20 oz of drink to work on for the morning. Lunch is various stuff from the hospital buffet, but it takes me 2-3 hours to finish like a hamburger patty, little smashed potatoes, and a cup of soup. Supper varies as I am usually not very hungry. I try not to eat unless I'm hungry, but I also get nervous about keeping enough protein and fuel in my system. This weird, but when nothing else wants to go down, I can always eat a Swanson TV dinner of salsbury steak. I try notg to eat snacks, but if I break down, I have a few cashews. So, sadly, I don't have a great diet plan, but have really had some battles between me and the band...and

it wins. My wife and I are involved in alot of socail stuff, and they are ALL built around food it seems, and that has been a bummer for my wife more than me as she feels guilty eating when I choose not to. I do excersize, and I feel that any level is better than none, I mean after paying for this surgery and cutting back on how and what I eat and dealing with the "mind" games...why would I want to jip myself by ignoring the fitness part of the program. Dr. Campos tells you straight up they go well together and I trust there is a good reason for it. Guys do lose weight easier, and I know it's not fair. I did hit a stall-out awhile back for a week or so until someone suggested adding lemon to the water I was drinking...and once I tried that away I went again losing some pounds. I have the 10cc band, and had my first fill after only one month (1cc), then another on December 12th (1cc), and

that has been it so far. When I got my band I had no idea of ultimate weightloss goals, but I wanted/hoped to lose 25 pounds by Christmas...I was at 49 pounds on New Year's Eve. I originally wanted to lose 50 pounds by the 4th of July...have lost 62 by Valentine's Day. I did finally set my ultimate goal to be at 185 pounds...I have 29 pounds to go and feel I will acheive that in 2008. I keep telling myself that this band works when I do. 40 pounds is awesome, you are heading the right direction for sure, any NSVs to share? -jimJane Moss <joy4jane66@...> wrote: Jim, Congratulations on your great weight loss. You are truely a loser! I had surgery on June 21, 2007 and I have lost about 40 lbs. I do not have a scale at home and so I only weigh when I go to the doctor. Would you please share with us your eating plan? I do realize that men lose much faster than women as a rule but gosh...it seems so unfair. What size band do you have and how many fills have you had? Thanks Jim Hansel <bchc59 > wrote: I know this sounds odd, but for the most part...ignore the scale. If you need to look at it to mark progress, then just use the one and weigh the same time of the day, and the same day of the week. The pre-op weigh-in at the hospital was fine for it's general purpose, but I don't weigh myself fully clothed at home, so I just trust my home scale and go by it. The best measurement tools for me have been the NSVs: clothes too baggy, comments from people at work, blood work two months post op, my watch feeling loose, using the leather-punch on my bests...four times before getting new belts, putting the CPAP away in the closet, and BEST OG ALL an inner confidence that no matter what...I know I made the right decision for me for the

right reasons and refuse to become a prisoner to a scale dictating my feelings or causing me to make unhealthy decisions (like starving and dehydrating for the sake of that next pound). My advice...followw the plan Dr. A and Dr. C have set up for you; there is a plethora of us here for you that are living proof the program works...when we do. -jim DOB: 10/3/07 276/215/185janna singh <singhjanna > wrote: hello. i had finally had my surgery on feb 2. it is so hard for me to stay on liquid diet, i am counting days until i can at least have some yougurt or mashed potatoes!! but i was wondering 1 thing. my weight a day before surgery was 275 and now 5 days after surgery on liquids only my weight is showing 301 pounds!!!!!!!! does anyone know what is going

on???? janna s.justice9311 <justice9311 > wrote: >> I will be arriving 2/13 with my husband. Then having LB done on > 2/14. Is there anyone else out there who will be there at this time? > I'm excited and a little nervous. I can't believe it's only 1 week > away! > > 284//>Shoot, I'm just going to miss you! I'm scheduled for Feb. 19, we'll be arriving in San Diego on Feb 17 ... please be sure and post on your experience when you get back. Good luck to you! :) Be a better friend,

newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

First, tell me what dose you started taking and take me through your increase regime. To get up to 3 grains after only 2 months seems a tad too quick.

It is the T3 in Armour that usually makes you wee, but it may not be sufficient for you and some of us (me included) need to take a diuretic as well. If you are retaining a lot of water, you might want to ask your doctor about this.

Do you have any recent thyroid blood tests, if so, can you post them here together with the reference range for each test. We need to see your Free T4 and Free T3. Do you know if you have antibodies to your thyroid?. How much NAE are you taking and what time of day do you take them? The four conditions that we know about that can stop your health from returning as it should when hypothyroid are:

1) You might still not be on the right dose of Armour yet, an/or you might need to add a little synthetic T4 or T3 because these are 'set' in Armour and what dose of Armour is OK for one is not necessarily OK for another. We are all different - our bodies have a different need.

2) You still have low adrenal reserve and you need to get the 24 hour salivary adrenal profile done to see where your cortisol and DHEA lie now. If the NAE are not working for you, you may need to change over to a stronger medication called Isocort. This is not as strong as cortisol. Unless you boost your adrenals properly, your Armour will simply not work.

3) You could be suffering with Candida Albicans. Look at our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk. Click on Hypothyroidism, and then on the drop down Menu, click on Associated Conditions. Click on Candida, and see what you think. You could do the Candida Questionnaire that is in our Files and do the spit test too. You can read about how to treat this on the website.

4) Ask your GP to test your ferritin (stored iron) level. You need sufficient iron in order for your body to function. If this is very low, you would need some elemental iron such as Ferrous Sulphate.

Luv - Sheila

Hi all,I've been on Armour for 2 months now, and instead of losing any of the 5 stone, I've gained 7lbs, mostly I think in water retention because I am bloated specially in legs and ankles. I read posts recently on people weeing all the time - when does that start???On the positive side my brain fog has stayed away and the palpitations aren't so bad now, but I've had a period for the first time in a year, and my energy levels have started sliding back, though I felt great for the first month, and I now have a serious afternoon slump despite taking the second half of my Armour after lunch. And my blood pressure has stayed unusually high for me.I'm still increasing my Armour, another step to 3 grains tomorrow, and I know I need to be patient, but any thoughts on this? I take NAE and a range of supplements, no other medication.Helenx

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.4/1310 - Release Date: 04/03/2008 08:35

Guest guest

Hi Sheila,

I started on half a grain, then increased after 7 days, then every 2-3

weeks, half a grain at a time. I've never had any adverse effects at

the time I increased my dose. (I am a large lady, so reckoned I needed

more).

The only test result I have is my TSH was 3.17 (range 0.3 to 3.3)last

November. It was previously as high as 4. They refused to do more, FT3

and FT4, and my GP has said he won't do any more tests for me

as " there's nothing wrong " with my thyroid.

I will try for the salivary adrenal profile myself and I'll check for

Candida again, but this wasn't indicated before. There's no chance of

the ferritin test from GP.

thanks,

Helen

Guest guest

forgot to say that I take 2 NAE at 5.30am with breakfast and 2 at 12

with lunch. Armour after breakfast and after lunch.

Helenx

Guest guest

Hi Helen,

I was one of the widdlers! Alas it was short-lived and I have since

gained 2 lb in 2 days. Hmmm!

Tracey

>

> Hi all,

> I've been on Armour for 2 months now, and instead of losing any of

the 5 stone, I've gained 7lbs, mostly I think in water retention

because I am bloated specially in legs and ankles. I read posts

recently on

> people weeing all the time - when does that start???

Guest guest

Hi Tracey,

Salt conservation is a critical role for the kidneys.

They try and hang onto the sodium.

If you add a modest amount of salt, preferably low sodium salt, to

your diet and see what effect that has on your output...you may need

to supplement with a bit more magnesium as well, if you start loosing

lots of fluid...

best wishes

Bob

> >

> > Hi all,

> > I've been on Armour for 2 months now, and instead of losing any

of

> the 5 stone, I've gained 7lbs, mostly I think in water retention

> because I am bloated specially in legs and ankles. I read posts

> recently on

> > people weeing all the time - when does that start???

>

Guest guest

Hi Helen

Sorry to be so outspoken, but I would run a mile as fast as you can from your GP. He has no right to refuse you thyroid funciton tests and/or ferritin tests, especially after you have had a TSH of 4. Can you possibly change your doctor, or at least, report this lack of care to the practice manager. If nothing is done, I would report him to your local PCT.

luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila, I started on half a grain, then increased after 7 days, then every 2-3 weeks, half a grain at a time. I've never had any adverse effects at the time I increased my dose. (I am a large lady, so reckoned I needed more).The only test result I have is my TSH was 3.17 (range 0.3 to 3.3)last November. It was previously as high as 4. They refused to do more, FT3 and FT4, and my GP has said he won't do any more tests for me as "there's nothing wrong" with my thyroid.I will try for the salivary adrenal profile myself and I'll check for Candida again, but this wasn't indicated before. There's no chance of the ferritin test from GP.thanks,Helen

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.4/1310 - Release Date: 04/03/2008 08:35

Guest guest

Hi Helen

You should really take your Armour before your breakfast, and if possibly take it sublingually and that way, you can take other medications (or food) at the same time, as Armour gets directly into the blood stream that way, and doesn't go anywhere near the stomach.

Luv - Sheila

forgot to say that I take 2 NAE at 5.30am with breakfast and 2 at 12 with lunch. Armour after breakfast and after lunch.Helenx

Guest guest

Thanks Sheila, but where I live there's no other choice except £90+

for the private GP at the hospital (and it's extra for the tests) so I

need to stay with this GP practice. I'm quietly trying to find out

about registering with another dr at the practice, but as my GP is the

practice lead I want to speak to them first. Just more hassle at the

moment.

Helen x

>

> Hi Helen

>

> Sorry to be so outspoken, but I would run a mile as fast as you can

from your GP. He has no right to refuse you thyroid funciton tests

and/or ferritin tests, especially after you have had a TSH of 4. Can

you possibly change your doctor, or at least, report this lack of care

to the practice manager. If nothing is done, I would report him to

your local PCT.

>

> luv - Sheila

>

Guest guest

Helen, these days patients are registered with the practice and not an individual doctor. If there is more than one GP in the practice you can see any of them, you dont need to ask permission of the lead GP. Being the lead GP does not imply anything in terms of their competence, just that they have been there the longest usually! You must try one of the other GPs if you are restricted in your choice of GP practices.

Gill

Thanks Sheila, but where I live there's no other choice except £90+ for the private GP at the hospital (and it's extra for the tests) so I need to stay with this GP practice. I'm quietly trying to find out about registering with another dr at the practice, but as my GP is the practice lead I want to speak to them first. Just more hassle at the moment.Helen x>> Hi Helen> > Sorry to be so outspoken, but I would run a mile as fast as you can from your GP. He has no right to refuse you thyroid funciton tests and/or ferritin tests, especially after you have had a TSH of 4. Can you possibly change your doctor, or at least, report this lack of care to the practice manager. If nothing is done, I would report him to your local PCT.> > luv - Sheila>

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.6/1192 - Release Date: 21/12/07 13:17

Guest guest

I think your PCT will be able to tell you how to get another GP in the same practice Helen. Can you help with this Gill?

Luv - Sheila

Re: weight gain

Thanks Sheila, but where I live there's no other choice except £90+ for the private GP at the hospital (and it's extra for the tests) so I need to stay with this GP practice. I'm quietly trying to find out about registering with another dr at the practice, but as my GP is the practice lead I want to speak to them first. Just more hassle at the moment.Helen x>> Hi Helen> > Sorry to be so outspoken, but I would run a mile as fast as you can from your GP. He has no right to refuse you thyroid funciton tests and/or ferritin tests, especially after you have had a TSH of 4. Can you possibly change your doctor, or at least, report this lack of care to the practice manager. If nothing is done, I would report him to your local PCT.> > luv - Sheila>

Guest guest

Hi Sheila, we must have crossed in the post - see my post re this.

Gill

I think your PCT will be able to tell you how to get another GP in the same practice Helen. Can you help with this Gill?

Luv - Sheila

Re: weight gain

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.6/1192 - Release Date: 21/12/07 13:17

Guest guest

Quite so - I am now going to log off the forum and concentrate on the references for the T4/T3 paper. I am almost there - up to 113. Not many more to go.

Luv - Sheila

Gill

Luv - Sheila

Guest guest

Ooops! that was meant for Gill privately. Apologies.

Luv - Sheila

Re: Re: weight gain

Quite so - I am now going to log off the forum and concentrate on the references for the T4/T3 paper. I am almost there - up to 113. Not many more to go.

Luv - Sheila

Gill

Luv - Sheila

Guest guest

>>>Sorry to be so outspoken, but I would run a mile as fast as you can from your GP. He has no right to refuse you thyroid funciton tests and/or ferritin tests, especially after you have had a TSH of 4.<<<

It may be that is not allowed to do the same test within six months or longer. When my endo requested some blood tests some came back but one was not done and a note was put on :

'Test not performed as it falls outside the 'Minimum Frequency for Pathology Testing' - please refer to previous results.

Why did he just not say that as the previous test was done in November he would not be allowed to do another one until Xmonth, and suggest you go back then if you are still feeling unwell.

Lilian

Guest guest

Not so in our case Gill. We may be registered with the practice but we are NOT allowed to see any other doctor but our own except in an emergency, and even then the nurse decides whether it is an emergency or not. Only other time is if you have a male doctor and wish to see a female one for female purposes only.

In fact the doctors in our practice actually admit they go against the national trend because the patients prefer it.

Lilian

Helen, these days patients are registered with the practice and not an individual doctor.

Guest guest

Lilian, your practice does seem to do its own thing, not sure its because its what the patients want! - that said, many patients would like to be able to access the same GP, most practices cant achieve this though. Either way, you are entitled to second opinions and shouldnt be made to feel that you cant see another GP. The new GP contracts brought in that patients are registered with a practice not a GP.

Gill

Not so in our case Gill. We may be registered with the practice but we are NOT allowed to see any other doctor but our own except in an emergency, and even then the nurse decides whether it is an emergency or not. Only other time is if you have a male doctor and wish to see a female one for female purposes only.

In fact the doctors in our practice actually admit they go against the national trend because the patients prefer it.

Lilian

Helen, these days patients are registered with the practice and not an individual doctor.

Guest guest

That is handy to know Gill. Yes I think they have said that we might be the only doctors practice in the country where the patient has their own doctor in the practice.

Lilian

Either way, you are entitled to second opinions and shouldnt be made to feel that you cant see another GP. The new GP contracts brought in that patients are registered with a practice not a GP.