> You will feel better at least 4 weeks after than

> when you went in. It

> still hurts but it's a different kind of pain and

> at least it's a healing pain.

>

>

Guest guest

Hey rm1313,

I too was worried about the blood clots but my Dr. put me on Coumadin both times (2nd time was coumadin & warfarin ...Same thing) snfd that and lots of ankle pumping kept me okay in that area. Sitting for a long time with legs bent at the knee as in a chair may be problematic but if you don't sit like that for a long time you should be okay. Actually I gave myself a huge blood clot outside the vein when I busted a cauterized vein 4 days after my 2nd surgery (TKR) but it was outside the blood vessels into the knee cavity so my Dr didn't freak out over it as much as I did. I just had to let it re-absorb itself. If you are really nervous about it discuss it in length with your Dr. pre-surgery. I was on the coumadin for 6 weeks with the first TKR and only 4 weeks with the 2nd after my Dr. knew from the first one that I wasn't prone to them. I wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery.

Love Contessa

-- Knee Replacement

I need a total knee replacement iam scard of geting a blood clot so

scard i have put it of for years but i cant put it off any longer i was

wondering how great the risk is. iam in good health outher wise

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/12/2006 4:13:26 P.M. Central Standard Time, rml313@... writes:

After I have my knee surgery will their be a limit on how much weightI will be able to lift? At my job I do a lot of heavy lifting. I deiver appliances like stoves and refrigerators I hope I dont have tochange jobs

Hi , my Dr. said that as long as it doesn't hurt that it is OK. It may make them wear faster though.

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/12/2006 4:09:40 P.M. Central Standard Time, rml313@... writes:

I would like to thank everyone for there advice on my knee replacement Iam going to see the DR on the 13th of march to schedule my surgery rml313

You will be so glad that you had it done. My second one is in the 5th week, I'm so glad it's over, but very happy with the results.

Guest guest

Hey Hon,

Go for it. Every time I look in the mirror and see my now not extremely bowed knees which are now nice and straight and look forward to having less pain then I did with the horrid osteoarthritis I thank God I went ahead and did it even with the horrid setback I had. I know I will continue to get better as time goes on and my grand kids think it is soooooo coooool to have a "bionic" grandma. I am sure after you have it done you will agree.

GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES for a speedy recovery!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Contessa

-- Re: knee replacement

In a message dated 3/12/2006 4:09:40 P.M. Central Standard Time, rml313@... writes:

I would like to thank everyone for there advice on my knee replacement Iam going to see the DR on the 13th of march to schedule my surgery rml313

You will be so glad that you had it done. My second one is in the 5th week, I'm so glad it's over, but very happy with the results.

Guest guest

Hey ,

You are the best judge of what your body can and can't do I feel All I was told was no squatting and don't kneel on hard surfaces. I am two months out from the 2nd TKR and had the first one done the beginning of Oct of last year (05) I pick up my grand kids all the time and it is so much easier than before with the osteoarthritis when I couldn't pick them up at all. Granted they weigh a lot less than a fridge or stove but hey it's a start. Go for it. I am sure you will adapt to what your body tells you, it can handle. Good luck to you

Contessa

-- knee replacement

After I have my knee surgery will their be a limit on how much weight

I will be able to lift? At my job I do a lot of heavy lifting. I

deiver appliances like stoves and refrigerators I hope I dont have to

change jobs

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

I always think one of the best ways to get information is to go through the

posts on this group.

Go to the webpage and do a search for knee - or tkr - you will get plenty to

start you off.

Aussie Margaret

Re: Knee Replacement

> Hi Lynne,

> I had a RTKR Sept 2004 in Europe. If you would like to write to me at

> vschinning@... I would be more than happy to answer any questions

> you may have!

> val

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great

> rates starting at 1 & cent;/min.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.5/321 - Release Date: 21/04/2006

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Guest guest

Hi Kathy,

I just had my left knee replaced on March 14th, I will be 6 weeks

post op this next Tuesday. It was a hard decision for me to make, I

had 2 different OS's tell me at 48 I was too young for it. In 2003 I

had an osteotomy to try to buy some time, but it did nothing for me.

Finally I decided that I could no longer handle the pain 24/7, my

quality of life was practically non existant....and I was referred to

a wonderful surgeon who agreed that I should have the replacement.

My recovery has been full of ups and downs, has been and continues to

be alot of hard work. Some days I get very discouraged. Especially

with my therapy, as the folks here know!!! There are many days I

wished I'd never had the surgery. But I look back to where I was a

couple of weeks ago and I am amazed at my progress.

I am SO thankful I found the site, the people here are so

supportive. You can also find lots of info on TKR just surfing the

web which is what my doctor had me do.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me. I'll

try to answer them as best I can. Good luck with your decision.

Debra

>

> I am considering left knee replacement. I would like to know

anything

> about this procedure anyone has experienced. What I will have to

go

> through with this surgery. Any advice will be appreciated.

> Kathy

>

Guest guest

Kathy:

I am still researching this for myself. Here is link to a website

that shows a flash anim of what happons in a TKR. Just copy and

paste into the Address block at the top of your browsers.

http://edheads.org/activities/knee/

A book that I bought and highly recommend is;

" Total Knee Replacement and Recovery "

By Dr. Brugioni MD and Dr. Jeff Falkel Ph.D, PT.

One of the authors (can't remember which one) had both knees done at

the same time. Give you definitions, treatments, pre-planning,

excersises and a week by week coverage of the post operation. Kink

of like a workbook more that a noval if you know what I mean.

Also the advice that is stored on the site.

Don

>

> I am considering left knee replacement. I would like to know

anything

> about this procedure anyone has experienced. What I will have to

go

> through with this surgery. Any advice will be appreciated.

> Kathy

>

Guest guest

Kathy,

I've also recommended this book to a couple of others here too. I

bought this book before I had my surgery in March, and I continue to

use it in my recovery now. I bought mine at and Noble, but

I'm sure you can pick it up at Amazon or any place on line. A great

book!!

Another website I checked out is:

www.knee1.com

They have a bulletin board where people share their stories of knee

injuries and surgeries, you can post there and ask questions.

Debra

> >

> > I am considering left knee replacement. I would like to know

> anything

> > about this procedure anyone has experienced. What I will have to

> go

> > through with this surgery. Any advice will be appreciated.

> > Kathy

> >

>

Guest guest

Don, Thanks for this information. Will do as you suggest. KathyDon <donavp@...> wrote: Kathy:I am still researching this for myself. Here is link to a website that shows a flash anim of what happons in a TKR. Just copy and paste into the Address block at the top of your browsers.http://edheads.org/activities/knee/A book that I bought and highly recommend is;"Total Knee Replacement and Recovery"By Dr. Brugioni MD and Dr. Jeff Falkel Ph.D, PT.One of the authors (can't remember which one) had both knees done at the same time. Give you definitions, treatments, pre-planning, excersises and a week by week coverage of the post

operation. Kink of like a workbook more that a noval if you know what I mean.Also the advice that is stored on the site.Don>> I am considering left knee replacement. I would like to know anything > about this procedure anyone has experienced. What I will have to go > through with this surgery. Any advice will be appreciated.> Kathy>

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min with Messenger with Voice.

Guest guest

Hi Sweetie,

I have had both knee's replaced in the last 7 months. RTKR in 9-05 and the left one 3 months ago. I am doing fine now. It was tougher with the first as far as recovery went and it is still the weaker of the two (well the leg muscles are) and although I set myself back with the 2nd one I have gotten much better pretty quick. I now garden (digging and all) and wear high heels. I am driving my stick shift car with no problems and I am able to walk three blocks before the slight limp sets in. (which is going more every day) Any questions you have please feel free to e-mail me or ask away here this is a great and very supportive site. I am 50 yrs old too if that matters. I had severe osteoarthritis and was wheelchair bound pre -surgery . I have put the wheelchairs, walkers, shower bench and all that in storage. WOO HOO! My recovery isn't typical or abnormal everyone recoups at their own pace. I just pushed myself really hard. I have also started back to work (part time) for the first time in 6 years as I can now walk and actually do home health care for others.

Yes it is difficult at first , yes there is pain, yes the Phys therapy is difficult but if you work hard before and after to get yourself in shape it goes easier. Keep asking questions and coming to this site. I would go through it all again in a minute as my results have exceeded my expectations!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Contessa

-- Knee Replacement

I am considering left knee replacement. I would like to know anything

about this procedure anyone has experienced. What I will have to go

through with this surgery. Any advice will be appreciated.

Kathy

Guest guest

Hi Contessa, I am having surgery July 19th, and this is exactly the post I needed to read. I am 61, but I do heal well from other surgery's and was glad to read that you would go through it all over again to be where you are today. I want to garden but haven't been able to go down on my knees for a long time. Thanks again for the encouragement. KathyCrazy Contessa <momcats55@...> wrote: Hi Sweetie, I have had both knee's replaced in the last 7 months. RTKR in 9-05 and the left one 3 months ago. I

am doing fine now. It was tougher with the first as far as recovery went and it is still the weaker of the two (well the leg muscles are) and although I set myself back with the 2nd one I have gotten much better pretty quick. I now garden (digging and all) and wear high heels. I am driving my stick shift car with no problems and I am able to walk three blocks before the slight limp sets in. (which is going more every day) Any questions you have please feel free to e-mail me or ask away here this is a great and very supportive site. I am 50 yrs old too if that matters. I had severe osteoarthritis and was wheelchair bound pre -surgery . I have put the wheelchairs, walkers, shower bench and all that in storage. WOO HOO! My recovery isn't typical or abnormal everyone recoups at their own pace. I just pushed myself really hard. I have also started back to work (part time) for the first time in 6 years as I can now walk and actually do home health care for others.

Yes it is difficult at first , yes there is pain, yes the Phys therapy is difficult but if you work hard before and after to get yourself in shape it goes easier. Keep asking questions and coming to this site. I would go through it all again in a minute as my results have exceeded my expectations!!!!! Gentle Hugs, Contessa -- Knee Replacement I am considering left knee replacement. I would like to know anything about this procedure anyone has experienced. What I will have to go through with this surgery. Any advice will be appreciated. Kathy

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

Personal question first??? How old are you??

>

> Can knee replacement be done for chondromalacia? I have had one

ortho

> tell me they will do it and another say its not for my condition.

Of

> course, I'm not really sure what my condition is after my lateral

> release went wrong.

>

> Now there is a Dr. in Chicago doing a much simplier knee

replacement.

>

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/23/earlyshow/main1644944.shtml?

> source=RSS & attr=Health_1644944

>

> I have been in contact with them and they say they can do

replacement

> surgery for my condition or most any condition.

>

> Anyone have any comments on this.

>

> Thanks

> LInda

>

• 2 months later...

Hi Friend,

May I introduce Vic who is having a knee replacement soon. He is from near

me and I put him on the email list.

Vic, I presume you are asking how long before you can walk on you new knee.

The physio's will get you walking on it the next day, maybe with a rollator,

or a hopper or with crutches.

Most people are not using any walking aids by 12 weeks.

Hugs to a lovely man.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

knee replacement

| now long is it befor you can walk on it pleas

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

My doctor said that I could stand on it right after surgery because it

is that strong if I didn't have pain so that was a no no. They had me

up and walking that evening with a walker of course.

On Aug 27, 2006, at 6:31 PM, bessvic wrote:

> now long is it befor you can walk on it pleas

>

>

I am too blessed to be stressed

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

Hi : Though everyone is different, I've only heard good things about manipulation. A co-worker had it after attempting to return to work twice after knee surgery and having to go back home because of the pain. She had the manipulation and was back to work in a few days and has been great since then. (She did not have joint replacement.) I've heard this is done under light anesthetic, it relieves pain immediately, and after the soreness goes away -- about three days -- he can expect to begin improving his bend and straightening in physical therapy. I hope Alan will be online. He is the most recent member to have this procedure, I believe. It made all the difference in his recovery. Sorry about this. Scar tissue is very painful. I had it with one knee after double-replacement, but was fortunate. My

physical therapist was able to work on it until she broke it up. But the manipulation will be faster and less painful. Regards, Donnajjury <jj103@...> wrote: Hey, Everybody, My hubby had knee replacement on Mar 6th and I just now thought to look for group to help me! He has to go back in on tues for a manipulation to break up scar tissue... How

does this happen and what should I expect? Is there a good website for all this? Thanks,

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

it done as outpatient. my back hurt more than my knee did the first day. He will be sore for about 4-5 days. he will be starting pt right away.Shirley knee replacement

Hey, Everybody,

My hubby had knee replacement on Mar 6th and I just now thought to look for group to help me! He has to go back in on tues for a manipulation to break up scar tissue... How does this happen and what should I expect? Is there a good website for all this? Thanks,

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Hi ,

Don't sweat it. It's the best thing since the toaster. I had it done

in my 4th month and it moved me from 90-degrees to 135-degrees in one

day. His knees will be sore for a few days, it's like getting double

sprained knees but it isn't 1/2 as bad as the scar tissue pain. It is

an easy procedure. He will be put under anesthesia for 10-minutes.

They will crank his knees to 135-140 degrees and then roll him into

recovery. He will be put on CPR machines that will continually bend

his knees to 135-degrees for about 6 hours then he will be sent home.

I went to full PT before actually going home. It's really no biggy

and makes a huge difference in the pace of his recovery. GOOD LUCK,

hell be happy he did it.

Best Regards,

Alan in NJ

>

> Hey, Everybody,

> My hubby had knee replacement on Mar 6th and I just now thought to

look for group to help me! He has to go back in on tues for a

manipulation to break up scar tissue... How does this happen and what

should I expect? Is there a good website for all this? Thanks,

>

>

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Alice,

I am 44 and had a right TKR on January 9. I had been having very bad pain for almost five years leading up to the surgery and have a small child so I needed more mobility. The pain had reduced me to barely walking and using a cane much of the time. I had a Zimmer gender knee implanted and though the first few weeks are painful and a little miserable (you get better each day), I can say that around four months after, I was feeling almost normal and now at six months after I can walk as far as I could back when I didn't hurt.

XRays had shown that I was bone on bone and that as the cartilage had been stripped away it was delaminating the bone (tearing away strips of bone) and my knee joint just looked horrible. I had two arthroscopic surgeries (April 2003 and April 2006) before the TKR. The second scoping just showed how bad it all was.

I am overweight but now I can walk normally and without pain so perhaps I can resolve that issue. PT was a painful but worth it, the whole thing has been worth it. I would tell anyone that if you are making decisions in your day not to walk and avoid activities because you know you will be in pain, then get the TKR. It's just so much better now.

To be more specific, I was in the hospital four days, then 10 more days using a walker and doing PT exercises at home. (I had the surgery out of town and stayed with my mother) Once at my actual home I started going to outpatient PT (husband drove me until 7 week point when I could drive again) five days a week for the first three weeks, then down to three days a week, then two with a total of two months of PT.

Now I'm going back to Curves, the women's gym where I work out and that keeps me limber. The machines are very similar to the ones at PT.

I really encourage you that if you are living on pain meds and exhausted from walking in pain, get the TKR,

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of AliceSent: Friday, July 06, 2007 5:36 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Knee replacement

My doctor has suggested a total knee replace for me, but before I make up my mind I would like to hear from people who have had that operation. I would like to know how long it took in rehabliation to recover and how much pain you had before and after the operation.Thank you in advance for you reply.

Guest guest

I'm glad to hear that the Zimmer gender knee has been so successful for you.

I'm curious whether the gender-specific knee feels more natural than your real knee. Or if there's anyone on the list who's had a gender-specific knee AND some other kind of knee, whether the gender-specific knee feels more natural.

Also, have you tried kneeling? Like gardening. I'd like to know whether the immobile tibial component is bothersome (the tibia rotates a little to help us kneel & stuff). I'm trying to decide whether it's better to get the rotating platform knee or the gender-specific knee (I'm almost tempted to open a business that makes a knee with both advantages). Does pedaling a bicycle feel a little odd due to the inability of the tibia to rotate?

Thanks

Ann

RE: Knee replacement

Alice,

I am 44 and had a right TKR on January 9. I had been having very bad pain for almost five years leading up to the surgery and have a small child so I needed more mobility. The pain had reduced me to barely walking and using a cane much of the time. I had a Zimmer gender knee implanted and though the first few weeks are painful and a little miserable (you get better each day), I can say that around four months after, I was feeling almost normal and now at six months after I can walk as far as I could back when I didn't hurt.

XRays had shown that I was bone on bone and that as the cartilage had been stripped away it was delaminating the bone (tearing away strips of bone) and my knee joint just looked horrible. I had two arthroscopic surgeries (April 2003 and April 2006) before the TKR. The second scoping just showed how bad it all was.

I am overweight but now I can walk normally and without pain so perhaps I can resolve that issue. PT was a painful but worth it, the whole thing has been worth it. I would tell anyone that if you are making decisions in your day not to walk and avoid activities because you know you will be in pain, then get the TKR. It's just so much better now.

To be more specific, I was in the hospital four days, then 10 more days using a walker and doing PT exercises at home. (I had the surgery out of town and stayed with my mother) Once at my actual home I started going to outpatient PT (husband drove me until 7 week point when I could drive again) five days a week for the first three weeks, then down to three days a week, then two with a total of two months of PT.

Now I'm going back to Curves, the women's gym where I work out and that keeps me limber. The machines are very similar to the ones at PT.

I really encourage you that if you are living on pain meds and exhausted from walking in pain, get the TKR,

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of AliceSent: Friday, July 06, 2007 5:36 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Knee replacement

My doctor has suggested a total knee replace for me, but before I make up my mind I would like to hear from people who have had that operation. I would like to know how long it took in rehabliation to recover and how much pain you had before and after the operation.Thank you in advance for you reply.

Guest guest

Ann,

How in the whole world could an artificial implant of any kind ever feel

more natural than a natural joint (or real one) as you call it?

Unless the non-operated joint has degraded and causing discomfort also

an artificial joint can never become as natural.

I could understand it if you had asked something like: Which artificial

knee does come closest to the a natural knee?

Ron van Mierlo

Ann skrev:

> *I'm glad to hear that the Zimmer gender knee has been so successful

> for you.*

> **

> *I'm curious whether the gender-specific knee feels more natural than

> your real knee. Or if there's anyone on the list who's had a

> gender-specific knee AND some other kind of knee, whether the

> gender-specific knee feels more natural.*

> **

> *Also, have you tried kneeling? Like gardening. I'd like to know

> whether the immobile tibial component is bothersome (the tibia rotates

> a little to help us kneel & stuff). I'm trying to decide whether it's

> better to get the rotating platform knee or the gender-specific knee

> (I'm almost tempted to open a business that makes a knee with both

> advantages). Does pedaling a bicycle feel a little odd due to the

> inability of the tibia to rotate?*

> **

> *Thanks*

> **

> *Ann*

>

> * Knee replacement

>

> My doctor has suggested a total knee replace for me, but

> before I make

> up my mind I would like to hear from people who have had that

> operation. I would like to know how long it took in

> rehabliation to

> recover and how much pain you had before and after the operation.

> Thank you in advance for you reply.

>

>

Guest guest

I haven't pedaled a bicycle since PT but it was a little odd at first and I found myself turning my leg to let my hip take most of the motion. But later I found myself doing fine. I have't really knelt much as that was so painful before I got where I don't seem to kneel anyway on that knee. I can kneel on soft surfaces but hesitate to kneel on hard surfaces just yet. Probably me just being cautious, though.

I still don't see quite the "knee shape" of my regular knee but because of swelling before, I hadn't seen a real shape there for a long time. It is much less swollen than before the surgery and right after.

I only have the one knee replacement so I have nothing to compare it to but I do feel like this knee keeps me from having any hip pain because it's slanted correctly for my pelvis angle.

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of Ann Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 4:15 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Knee replacement

I'm glad to hear that the Zimmer gender knee has been so successful for you.

I'm curious whether the gender-specific knee feels more natural than your real knee. Or if there's anyone on the list who's had a gender-specific knee AND some other kind of knee, whether the gender-specific knee feels more natural.

Also, have you tried kneeling? Like gardening. I'd like to know whether the immobile tibial component is bothersome (the tibia rotates a little to help us kneel & stuff). I'm trying to decide whether it's better to get the rotating platform knee or the gender-specific knee (I'm almost tempted to open a business that makes a knee with both advantages). Does pedaling a bicycle feel a little odd due to the inability of the tibia to rotate?

Thanks

Ann

RE: Knee replacement

Alice,

Guest guest

Because of their wider pelvis, women have a greater Q angle at the knee than men. Most knee implants don't take this into account so all of a sudden the lesser Q angle puts pressure on the femur in a different place, and could cause trouble with the hip joint eventually. OTOH, some women have knee problems because of their wider Q angle and probably should get a femoral implant with a Q angle less than their natural one, but not by so much that it would cause problems with the hip joints. Someone just posted saying that her legs are straight now, that she had been knock-kneed before. I assume this is because she was given a male femoral implant.

Ann

* Knee replacement>> My doctor has suggested a total knee replace for me, but> before I make> up my mind I would like to hear from people who have had that> operation. I would like to know how long it took in> rehabliation to> recover and how much pain you had before and after the operation.> Thank you in advance for you reply.>>