RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Abilify

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We did. was off of risperdal for a few months and then we started abilify.We went off of risperdal because it increased her seizures. She is on 7.5 mgs at night and doing wonderfully. She was very aggressive(from zonegran) and her anxiety was crippling her very much. She has a little anxiety left but hopefully the last increase helps with that.I see no side effects whatsoever...so far.

Elaine

J's Dr said he wanted to try Abilify on J. 5mg. at night. Anyone ever take risperdal and switch to Abilify? Good-bad? Right now J has nothing in him (drugs). I kinda would like to give him a break BUT if the Abilify would help I would try it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Lois

Guest guest

We did. was off of risperdal for a few months and then we started abilify.We went off of risperdal because it increased her seizures. She is on 7.5 mgs at night and doing wonderfully. She was very aggressive(from zonegran) and her anxiety was crippling her very much. She has a little anxiety left but hopefully the last increase helps with that.I see no side effects whatsoever...so far.

Elaine

J's Dr said he wanted to try Abilify on J. 5mg. at night. Anyone ever take risperdal and switch to Abilify? Good-bad? Right now J has nothing in him (drugs). I kinda would like to give him a break BUT if the Abilify would help I would try it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Lois

Guest guest

In a message dated 1/12/2005 8:25:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jlois@... writes:

----- Original Message -----

I know how you feel, my son's behavior is COMPLETELY out of control, and to make matters worse I have been calling his PSY for 2 WEEKS, and she HASN"T returned my calls!! the nerve of her. My problem is my son is 4 1/2, and I live on LI, and there is No Ped PSY's at all in Suffolk county that take his insurance. I don't know what to do! I have been on the phone all day! I am ready to file a complaint with whom ever will listen (insurance company, who ever). Meanwhile everyday that goes by he is getting worse! His dx. is HF autism with seizures, plus, plus,plus, i think there are a few other things going on. He's been on risperdal way to long, he's on neurotin, doesn't do a thing, plus seizure meds, I think the risperdal needs to be changed, but i am not a doctor, and now I can't get one to call me back, and i can't find one!

If there is anyone out there that knows of one in Suffolk county on the eastern end please email me directly I am desperate. He's starting to stim (hand flap) he hasn't done that in almost 2 years, to me that is a huge regression!! He needs help, and fast! i am heart broken, i am trying to stay strong, but i have 2 other SN angels and it is getting harder, and harder to deal with everyday.

thanks for listening,

chris

Guest guest

There's Dr. Boris in Syosset. He's a pediatric allergist who follows the DAN protocol and may be able to help you directly or refer you to someone who will be able to help. He's on Froelich Farm Road I believe. Can get you the number if you'd like.

In a message dated 1/12/2005 11:35:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, Nyyankees730@... writes:

I know how you feel, my son's behavior is COMPLETELY out of control, and to make matters worse I have been calling his PSY for 2 WEEKS, and she HASN"T returned my calls!! the nerve of her. My problem is my son is 4 1/2, and I live on LI, and there is No Ped PSY's at all in Suffolk county that take his insurance. I don't know what to do! I have been on the phone all day! I am ready to file a complaint with whom ever will listen (insurance company, who ever). Meanwhile everyday that goes by he is getting worse! His dx. is HF autism with seizures, plus, plus,plus, i think there are a few other things going on. He's been on risperdal way to long, he's on neurotin, doesn't do a thing, plus seizure meds, I think the risperdal needs to be changed, but i am not a doctor, and now I can't get one to call me back, and i can't find one!

If there is anyone out there that knows of one in Suffolk county on the eastern end please email me directly I am desperate. He's starting to stim (hand flap) he hasn't done that in almost 2 years, to me that is a huge regression!! He needs help, and fast! i am heart broken, i am trying to stay strong, but i have 2 other SN angels and it is getting harder, and harder to deal with everyday.

thanks for listening,

chris

Guest guest

Elaine,

I just gave J the Abilify about a half hour ago. He stated rudding his head then he lost it and stated thowing things. I made him sit down and he is up now. He was on no drugs today and hit his aid and then the lady at the autism waiver place. It is driving me crazy!!!!! The Dr. wants to put him in the Hosp. to monitor him!!!! Lois

Re: Abilify

Elaine

Guest guest

Betty

Lois, with the other mental health problems that we have in our family, I have seen that sometimes it is necessary to put someone in the hospital to get the meds right faster than can be done at home. I say this from the doctor's advice and what has happened to children on our bipolar list. It does NOT always work but there is a better chance of getting right at the hospital than at home. 's doctor wanted to put her in the hospital to get her meds adjusted more quickly but refused. She was too scared of the hospital. It took almost 3 years to get them almost all right. They NEVER stay all right. My younger sister is terrified of the hospital and has been put in them at least 3 if not 4 times but she is schizophrenic. I would be worried about the hospital also but if there was a fair chance they could get his meds right without months of playing the waiting game, it might be worth it. Nothing ever is an easy decision with our kids.

I need to get to bed before Evan decides to get up but I keep reading just one more......

Betty

Guest guest

I

It takes about 5-7 days before you see a difference with Abilify. It has to build up in their blood.I hope you can all get some relief soon!

Elaine

\

Elaine,

I just gave J the Abilify about a half hour ago. He stated rudding his head then he lost it and stated thowing things. I made him sit down and he is up now. He was on no drugs today and hit his aid and then the lady at the autism waiver place. It is driving me crazy!!!!! The Dr. wants to put him in the Hosp. to monitor him!!!! Lois

Guest guest

Are the seizures controlled or are you seeing more? Risperdal can cause more seizures.That will contribute to the awful behavior.Trust me,I know!LOL!

Elaine

-----

In a message dated 1/12/2005 8:25:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jlois@... writes:

thanks for listening,

chris

Guest guest

Elaine,

We saw a difference in one hour!!!!!!! A little bit of a mixed bag today..........Lois

I

It takes about 5-7 days before you see a difference with Abilify. It has to build up in their blood.I hope you can all get some relief soon!

Elaine

\

Elaine,

Guest guest

There was a time when our son was in a certain school and they did not do what they were suppose to do, and a lot they did that was in violation of many things. I was about to hurt someone at the school. The Dr. put me on a med. then our son started resperidal. Lost his toileting skills (which could have been induced by some of the school issues) I had my Dr. switch my med to Abilify thinking to make the switch for our son. Puberty hit the same time we started the reperidal, and life here was not fun. The weight gain which was minimal but quick, just filled him out (he was skinny like his mama)

The Abilify made me irritable and I figured if it made me that short tempered, that is not what I needed for him

Some like the Abilify; it is an antipsychotic and is suppose to be less likely to cause TD than the other antipsychotics, but they said the same thing about Geodon, and Karac ended up with TD; so I personally am against all the antipsychotics unless the child is actually psychotic. So far, Karac is doing better on Xanax then on any other medication he has ever had. If it had been up to me, Karac would never have been on any medication. It has been two and half months since Karac has had a meltdown at my house, and he is doing so well at school now they are planning to let him gradually start doing his office help again. I t just seems to be trial and error for all these kids. Pat K

Guest guest

Wow, thats all I need is CB to get more aggressive. Thats what the Doctor wanted to put CB on, we currently are on Tenex...not doing anything that I can see. But we are scared to death of TD and all the other side affects.And the school demanded that he be medicated as part of his return to school. We never got to the scheduled appointment, the Doctor gave us the scrip over the phone while she was on vacation.

CB's Granny

Guest guest

hi group members

just a few words on the med. abilify. brady has been tried on 17 meds to

date for severe aggression and impulse issues. i gave up for 2 years. he

spend 8 months in a home and it broke our hearts, not to mention his. after

he got home, the school again said they might have to send brady away again,

because of severe aggression. i had to give meds. another try. the doc. said

abilify. we started low. 2.5mg. almost over night he became better. calmer

and less agitated. we have been on 5 mg split between AM and PM for 4 months

now. we finally can say he is great to be around. brady is 14 years old and

before the neuroleptics were bad news. made him worse, more aggressive and

more agitated. recently the doc wanted to throw depakote into the brew. i

refused since brady is doing better then ever on only 5 mg abilify. hey why

mess with a good thing. is he still having aggression? sure, but nothing

like we had seen in his years on this earth. am i holding my breath. yep!

sure............i pray to God all the time to give brady a break and us too.

He has heard our prayers and send a doc to prescribe abilify. yes, our kids

all react differently. so here is to a abilify success story.

Hugs To All

Christiane - Mom to:

ph - 25, Bi-Polar, ADD and serving our great land.

Brady - 14, PDD/NOS, Aggressive destructive disorder, Mood disorder, Adhd ,

MR, 5 mg Abilify

Libby - 9, ADHD and a teen age wanna be - yikes

--

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.6.13 - Release Date: 1/16/2005

Guest guest

I have felt the same way about the meds. If they work for one they might work for the other and if they were bad for one then I hate to try another of the boys on it. But it is a true fact that what works for one member of the family may be a diasters for another member of the same family. I do not need any med to make me short tempered! If I am following to pieces at the end of a stressful day, I usually find out why when i go to take my evening meds and see my morning meds still there. I am trying to cut out the Effexor but can't get past that 75 mg but I guess that is better than the 150 mg and Buspar to boot. I cut the Buspar out too. Of course, my daughter being free of street drugs and getting her life back helped me tremendously with my stress level.

Betty

There was a time when our son was in a certain school and they did not do what they were suppose to do, and a lot they did that was in violation of many things. I was about to hurt someone at the school. The Dr. put me on a med. then our son started resperidal. Lost his toileting skills (which could have been induced by some of the school issues) I had my Dr. switch my med to Abilify thinking to make the switch for our son. Puberty hit the same time we started the reperidal, and life here was not fun. The weight gain which was minimal but quick, just filled him out (he was skinny like his mama)

The Abilify made me irritable and I figured if it made me that short tempered, that is not what I needed for him

Guest guest

Now got very agressive on Tenex but we decided that was because it was making him sleepy and he gets rather mean when he is tired and not able to go to bed. That was back in Kindergarten and a special ed class so his teacher got a big bean bag for him to rest a bit after lunch. But we did stop the Tenex as it did not do any good. No wonder we these drug companies make so many billions when everyone is so different.

Evan's doctor will fax us a prescription in without her seeing him but the clinic will not even give a refill half the time without a person coming in.

Betty

Wow, thats all I need is CB to get more aggressive. Thats what the Doctor wanted to put CB on, we currently are on Tenex...not doing anything that I can see. But we are scared to death of TD and all the other side affects.And the school demanded that he be medicated as part of his return to school. We never got to the scheduled appointment, the Doctor gave us the scrip over the phone while she was on vacation. CB's Granny

Guest guest

>And the school demanded that he be medicated as part of his return to school.<

How can they demand that under the law? There are no drugs that have been proven to help autism/behavior problems. The principal asked me recently if Tristan had been tested for ADD. Right. He has severe/moderate autism, and for all intents and purposes is nonverbal. She said the teacher said that a student in the schools she worked at before had an autistic student that was on an ADD med.

Guest guest

Well, its a private school, if we dont like they way they do things..... we can go elsewhere...which is what we are doing LOL.

CB's Granny

Guest guest

--- " A. " <lausley@...> wrote:

> Is anyone using Abilify? Under what circumstances?

> Dosage? Good results? Side effects?

>

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been

> removed]

>

> My 16 yo is on 30mg of abilify-mostly with good

results-for TS and rapid mood swings.Also a big weight

gain. best-sue12771@...

Guest guest

Judy,

My daughter took abilify, 5 mg I think for 4 months.

The first month or 2 were very good and we saw a great

deal of improvement, then it seemed to stop working.

She was sleepy in the beginning. We took her off

because she gained about 20 lbs in 4 months and

because it stopped working.

Darletta

--- jchabot <jchabot@...> wrote:

>

>

> Dana <pba1221d@...> wrote: Does

> anybody on this list know anything about PANDAS??

> I'm sorry for

> all of the questions, but it occured to me that when

> my son was first

> diagnosed with probable PANDAS (3 weeks ago) he was

> put on

> antibiotics. He took them for 2 weeks and I do

> believe that he is not

> doing as well now that he is off of them. Can

> anybody shed some

> light? Should I get him back on an antibiotic?

>

> Dana

>

>

>

>

> Anyone with any experience with abilify? My dd took

> it last night with food, and cannot get off the

> couch today or eat anything. She is so nauseaus

> thanks in advance

> hugs

> Judy

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been

> removed]

>

>

Guest guest

Hi. I take fluvoxamine as do both of my daughters. has taken it for

about five years; Hannah for about four; and I have taken it for about a year.

also takes Risperdal and Clonidine while Hannah takes Abilify. She has

been on Abilify for more than two years now. It might even be three. The

girls take their fluvoxamine in two doses in the morning and at night and all

the other meds at bedtime. Neither girl has ever gotten an upset stomach or

headache from the antipsychotics they take as far as I know. The fluvoxamine

took about three months to kick in for all of us. It was even a little longer

for me. With the girls, I noticed an increase of symptoms at first and then a

disappearance of symptoms. They eventually started to even out and we still

have many issues that flare up at different times but both are able to function

much better. I would not dream of taking them off of their meds so I know

that they are working! took Paxil in the beginning of her treatment (when

she was seven) and it worked wonderfully for about six months. She also took

Zyprexa for two years and it also worked wonderfully. We took her off only

because of my desire to see what would happen. Hannah took Zoloft and Geodon

for about a year before her current meds. We did not see very good results

with those. She just didn't seem to get the relief she needed. Kelley in NV

Guest guest

Turns out that I take Paxil and I think it's the best thing since sliced

bread. Actually, I'd rather give up sliced bread!

Thanks. I took two very valuable pieces of information from this: (1) My

son's body isn't the first site in which fluvoxamine and aripiprazole have

encountered one another, and (2) somebody, at least, is having good results

with the combination.

Well, school is starting tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

Thanks again.

On 8/22/06, kelleydinkins@... <kelleydinkins@...> wrote:

>

>

> Hi. I take fluvoxamine as do both of my daughters. has taken it

for

> about five years; Hannah for about four; and I have taken it for about a

year.

> also takes Risperdal and Clonidine while Hannah takes Abilify. She

has

> been on Abilify for more than two years now. It might even be

three. The

> girls take their fluvoxamine in two doses in the morning and at night and

all

> the other meds at bedtime. Neither girl has ever gotten an upset

stomach or

> headache from the antipsychotics they take as far as I know. The

fluvoxamine

> took about three months to kick in for all of us. It was even a little

longer

> for me. With the girls, I noticed an increase of symptoms at first and

then a

> disappearance of symptoms. They eventually started to even out and we

still

> have many issues that flare up at different times but both are able to

function

> much better. I would not dream of taking them off of their meds so I

know

> that they are working! took Paxil in the beginning of her

treatment (when

> she was seven) and it worked wonderfully for about six months. She also

took

> Zyprexa for two years and it also worked wonderfully. We took her off

only

> because of my desire to see what would happen. Hannah took Zoloft and

Geodon

> for about a year before her current meds. We did not see very good

results

> with those. She just didn't seem to get the relief she needed. Kelley

in NV

>

--

E. Menter

scott.menter@...

Guest guest

>>>>>> I messed up my chelation' by taking a break and smoking

I had an episode and now I am diagnosed schitzophrenic>>>>>>

Were you chelating with the AC protocol? What schedule, dosage, chelating agent

did you use?

>>>>Could someone tell me the basic supplements to give me ilfe without

abilify>>>>>>

There aren't any. You have to take meds.

>>>>>>>Or do i have to take it until i finnish chelation?)>>>>>>>

Yes. Only go off meds when you are completely detoxed.

Guest guest

Hi,

We have Maddie on Abilify 5 mg. at night. We put her on it a few months ago after she was diagnosed with bipolar. It has made a HUGE difference in her. She would be fine one minute (happy and pleasant) and the next she was literally attacking me and screaming she was going to kill me. Since she has been on it (it took about 3 days) she is so much better. I know one woman said I was "drugging" my daughter and not letting her feel (amazing - she doesn't even have kids let alone special needs), but I don't feel she is drugged. She is still able to express when she is happy and when she doesn't want to do something. Just now, her moods are more stable and not all over the board and she is able to deal with them and I don't have to worry about her attacking me. The only side effect I have seen is she seems to sleep more (but that is a pleasant side effect - she only averaged 3 - 4 hours before where now we

are getting 8!) and she is eating a little more. But I'm not sure if that is from the meds or just from the fact that she is 13 and growing:)

I hope it works for you - it's been a blessing for us.

Rhonda

From: kathyleonatti <cleonatti@...>Subject: abilifyautism Date: Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 7:03 PM

hi I was wondering does anyone have there chil on abilify ? The Dr. switched him to this after trying risperadal . He is 6 and I am at my wits end we have been trying meds for about a year now with no major change the Dr.. said if the abilify does not work she will take him off everything for awhile and kind of clean out his system.Last week he attacked his occupational therapyst I dont want to go back I am to emmbarressed.

Guest guest

Kathy,

Please don't feel embarrassed or at least try not to feel that way. His OT should know that these things happen and that you are trying everything to help him. Do you know what usually sets him off? Is it frustration or OCD type behaviors or certain social settings or demands placed on him. My son is aggressive sometimes and it is usually an OCD or anxiety based trigger. Have you tried or is your son on any antidepressant or anti anxiety meds? has become much less aggressive and his OCD has decreased since he started taking Lexapro on top of his Risperdal. My is going to be 9 in a few weeks and I don't know how he would get through the day without the help of these meds. He was so miserable before and even though right now we are having a hard time it is usually much better then before and for the most part he is much happier. We haven't tried the abilify but since I have

heard how they will just get used to one med and you have to change we may go there in the future. Please let me know how it goes and think about the anxiety meds (if he isn't already on one that is working). I should also add that is on Adderall for attention as well. He has been on a low dose of this for a few years and we actually had to decrease it when he went on the Risperdal as the combination gave him a little too much focus! I hope things get better soon, Kellie

From: kathyleonatti <cleonatti@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:03:27 PMSubject: abilify

hi I was wondering does anyone have there chil on abilify ? The Dr. switched him to this after trying risperadal . He is 6 and I am at my wits end we have been trying meds for about a year now with no major change the Dr. said if the abilify does not work she will take him off everything for awhile and kind of clean out his system.Last week he attacked his occupational therapyst I dont want to go back I am to emmbarressed.