RemedySpot.com

Abilify

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son was on Risperdal a few years ago and we tried switching to Seroquel due to weight gain. Within a day of switching his behavior became very aggressive and he had never been aggressive before. He pulled down a bookcase at school, punched his teacher and went on a rampage trashing his classroom. When I took him home he became very upset in the car screaming and tantruming. It took me 45 minutes to eventually calm him and get him in the house. His behavior seemed almost manic-very extreme. So while we did not use Abilify, I did see extreme changes in his behavior when switching from one anti-psychotic to another. When he went back on Risperdal, I never saw that behavior again. Plus, it was the only change in medication he had at that time, so I really

feel the Seroquel, at least for my son, was the causitive agent. The upside now is that my son has not been on any prescription meds for over a year and half now, only supplements and we've been able to manage his excitabililty, stimming and focus. I wish you and your son all the best!

From: Barbara Pacheco <dmb.1967@...>autism Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 7:08:33 PMSubject: Re: Re: Abilify

Over the last week and a half I have decreased my son's dosage of Risperdal from 9mg to 7 1/2 mg per day and he has tolerated well. Yesterday doctor added 5mg Abilify to see how he does and hopefully reduce Risperdal and then Abilify all together, but after I gave him the Abilify last night almost right away I noticed an aggressive mood change and today bus driver said he did alot of head banging and disruption. Can the Abilify give him that much of a negative reaction that quickly? Or just coincidence and it is something else?

Any ideas?

Barbara

From: tammy shaver <ohio_gal79 (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:20:24 PMSubject: Re: Abilify

My son who is 9 y/o was on Abilify and he had so much agression from that medicine. His behavior had gotten worse from the medicine and i finally brought it up to the Dr. and she said that Abilify helps some kids with behavior/aggression and some kids it makes it worse. He see's a phycologist at Children's Hospital in Ohio, our appointment' s with her is an 1 1/2 long bec. we go over alott, like each day occurences, any changes, and she care's about his well being. He is taking Vyvanse and his aggression/behavior problems have gone away, he is doing great. The other med's he takes is Serequel in the afternoon and at bedtime and Clonodine at bedtime. The sereqel and clonodine helps him go to sleep at night, with out it he is up for days with no sleeping. Hope this helps, and wish you luck, and everyone on here i pray for.

Tammy

Yes. He had been on Risperdal for 2.5 years and within the first 4 months he gained about 20 lbs and then just kept adding on the pounds. His diet is and was really balanced/heathy and he burns a lot of calories during the day but still he gained weight. Unfortunately, the weight gain is one of the major side effects of these meds as I am sure most can attest to. I am just glad it is a side effect that is reversible when they discontinue the med. This new med we are going to try does not have that potential..so they say.

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 5:58:11 PMSubject: Re: Abilify

he lost weight after he came off resperdal? Lois

Re: Abilify

Barbara,

My son did the same thing. He stabbed a girl with a pencil, hitting the teachers, his aggression and behavior went threw the roof. When he took the Abilify it was like a different kid, so my opinion yes it gave him a negative reaction quickly. He was kicked out of school weeks at a time, i finally decided to do home schooling bec. the parents of the kids were threatning to take me and my son to court for assault on their kids, and the school staff made things worse for him too they would make him stay in the principals office and try to force him to eat lunch. They also put him in a small detention room and he flipped out. But since they put him on Vyvanse he is back to his self. I would just keep on his Dr. and see if there is a another medicine you could try for him. Hope this helps.

From: Barbara Pacheco <dmb.1967@...>autism Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 5:08:33 PMSubject: Re: Re: Abilify

Over the last week and a half I have decreased my son's dosage of Risperdal from 9mg to 7 1/2 mg per day and he has tolerated well. Yesterday doctor added 5mg Abilify to see how he does and hopefully reduce Risperdal and then Abilify all together, but after I gave him the Abilify last night almost right away I noticed an aggressive mood change and today bus driver said he did alot of head banging and disruption. Can the Abilify give him that much of a negative reaction that quickly? Or just coincidence and it is something else?

Any ideas?

Barbara

From: tammy shaver <ohio_gal79 (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:20:24 PMSubject: Re: Abilify

My son who is 9 y/o was on Abilify and he had so much agression from that medicine. His behavior had gotten worse from the medicine and i finally brought it up to the Dr. and she said that Abilify helps some kids with behavior/aggression and some kids it makes it worse. He see's a phycologist at Children's Hospital in Ohio, our appointment' s with her is an 1 1/2 long bec. we go over alott, like each day occurences, any changes, and she care's about his well being. He is taking Vyvanse and his aggression/behavior problems have gone away, he is doing great. The other med's he takes is Serequel in the afternoon and at bedtime and Clonodine at bedtime. The sereqel and clonodine helps him go to sleep at night, with out it he is up for days with no sleeping. Hope this helps, and wish you luck, and everyone on here i pray for.

Tammy

Well it is official, my life is hell. 's third day trying a low dose of abilify at night in addition to Risperdal nad he just blew his top at me, hit me, pinched me and punched a hole thru the wall.

Lord give me the strength!!!

Barbara

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Thu, February 4, 2010 6:18:17 PMSubject: Re: Abilify

The zpraxa caused J to get Dieabities. I am going to try and get him off of it and onto something else. Is what you are trying for agression? Lois

Hi Lois,

Yes, we were on Risperdal for behavior/aggression issues. We have tried almost everything out there over the last 6 years, the antipsychotics and mood stabilizers but nothing seems to work for an extended period of time. We had some good responses with a drug called Naltrexone which is used off-label for aggression but it so interfered with sleep that we never reached the target dose. He does take a low dose of it a night, also refered to as LDN, which I plan to keep using. We also use CALM, a mag. supplement that helps with sleep and regularity which we have found is key in keeping the aggression down. How old is J?

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Thu, February 4, 2010 6:18:17 PMSubject: Re: Abilify

The zpraxa caused J to get Dieabities. I am going to try and get him off of it and onto something else. Is what you are trying for agression? Lois

Is there someone you can call for help? You need to be safe ..that is the only way you can help . We are here for you whenever you get a chance to check in..<<hugs>>

• 2 weeks later...

Kristi,

I meant to replay to this early..became distracted. What supplements/dose do you use for your son? Thanks, (seattle)

From: kristi jacobsen <kristi426411@...>autism Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 5:46:00 PMSubject: Re: Re: Abilify

My son was on Risperdal a few years ago and we tried switching to Seroquel due to weight gain. Within a day of switching his behavior became very aggressive and he had never been aggressive before. He pulled down a bookcase at school, punched his teacher and went on a rampage trashing his classroom. When I took him home he became very upset in the car screaming and tantruming. It took me 45 minutes to eventually calm him and get him in the house. His behavior seemed almost manic-very extreme. So while we did not use Abilify, I did see extreme changes in his behavior when switching from one anti-psychotic to another. When he went back on Risperdal, I never saw that behavior again. Plus, it was the only change in medication he had at that time, so I really feel the Seroquel, at least for my son, was the causitive agent. The upside now is that my son has not been on any prescription meds for over a year and half

now, only supplements and we've been able to manage his excitabililty, stimming and focus. I wish you and your son all the best!

From: Barbara Pacheco <dmb.1967att (DOT) net>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Wed, February 3, 2010 7:08:33 PMSubject: Re: Re: Abilify

Any ideas?

Barbara

Tammy

Hi, my name is and i have a nine year old who is not autistic but has been

diagnosed with ADhd,GAD and Intermittent Explosive Disorder. It has been a

struggle. It is funny that i logged in to read the post and i was just thinking

that i want my son off of Risperdal. This medicine just causes too much weight

gain. I dont wont him to have diabetes. Here is the thing though. He has been

on seroquel,abilify and others in the past. It didnt seem to be working. He is

still having fits even on the Risperdal. Well anyway his new doc will check into

his past medications to make sure if just wasnt a dosage issue and he will be

considering a new medication. Well take care everyone. i just wanted to let you

know this group is very beneficial. Stay strong.

>

> Barbara,

> My son did the same thing. He stabbed a girl with a pencil, hitting the

teachers, his aggression and behavior went threw the roof. When he took the

Abilify it was like a different kid, so my opinion yes it gave him a negative

reaction quickly. He was kicked out of school weeks at a time, i finally decided

to do home schooling bec. the parents of the kids were threatning to take me and

my son to court for assault on their kids, and the school staff made things

worse for him too they would make him stay in the principals office and try to

force him to eat lunch. They also put him in a small detention room and he

flipped out. But since they put him on Vyvanse he is back to his self. I would

just keep on his Dr. and see if there is a another medicine you could try for

him. Hope this helps.

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Barbara Pacheco <dmb.1967@...>

> autism

> Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 5:08:33 PM

> Subject: Re: Re: Abilify

>

>  

> Over the last week and a half I have decreased my son's dosage of Risperdal

from 9mg to 7 1/2 mg per day and he has tolerated well.  Yesterday doctor added

5mg Abilify to see how he does and hopefully reduce Risperdal and then Abilify

all together, but after I gave him the Abilify last night almost right away I

noticed an aggressive mood change and today bus driver said he did alot of head

banging and disruption.  Can the Abilify give him that much of a negative

reaction that quickly?  Or just coincidence and it is something else?

>

> Any ideas?

>

> Barbara

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: tammy shaver <ohio_gal79 (DOT) com>

> AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) com

> Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:20:24 PM

> Subject: Re: Abilify

>

>

>

> My son who is 9 y/o was on Abilify and he had so much agression from that

medicine. His behavior had gotten worse from the medicine and i finally brought

it up to the Dr. and she said that Abilify helps some kids with

behavior/aggression and some kids it makes it worse. He see's a phycologist at

Children's Hospital in Ohio, our appointment' s with her is an 1 1/2 long bec.

we go over alott, like each day occurences, any changes, and she care's about

his well being. He is taking Vyvanse and his aggression/behavior problems have

gone away, he is doing great. The other med's he takes is Serequel in the

afternoon and at bedtime and Clonodine at bedtime. The sereqel and clonodine

helps him go to sleep at night, with out it he is up for days with no sleeping.

Hope this helps, and wish you luck, and everyone on here i pray for.

> Tammy

>

Just a thought: Is it the ADHD medication that is helping our kids and not risperdal or abilify? Gwen

autism From: tahiyya35@...Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:01:16 +0000Subject: Re: Abilify

Hi, my name is and i have a nine year old who is not autistic but has been diagnosed with ADhd,GAD and Intermittent Explosive Disorder. It has been a struggle. It is funny that i logged in to read the post and i was just thinking that i want my son off of Risperdal. This medicine just causes too much weight gain. I dont wont him to have diabetes. Here is the thing though. He has been on seroquel,abilify and others in the past. It didnt seem to be working. He is still having fits even on the Risperdal. Well anyway his new doc will check into his past medications to make sure if just wasnt a dosage issue and he will be considering a new medication. Well take care everyone. i just wanted to let you know this group is very beneficial. Stay strong.>> Barbara,> My son did the same thing. He stabbed a girl with a pencil, hitting the teachers, his aggression and behavior went threw the roof. When he took the Abilify it was like a different kid, so my opinion yes it gave him a negative reaction quickly. He was kicked out of school weeks at a time, i finally decided to do home schooling bec. the parents of the kids were threatning to take me and my son to court for assault on their kids, and the school staff made things worse for him too they would make him stay in the principals office and try to force him to eat lunch. They also put him in a small detention room and he flipped out. But since they put him on Vyvanse he is back to his self. I would just keep on his Dr. and see if there is a another medicine you could try for him. Hope this helps.> > > > > ________________________________> From: Barbara Pacheco <dmb.1967@...>> autism > Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 5:08:33 PM> Subject: Re: Re: Abilify> >  > Over the last week and a half I have decreased my son's dosage of Risperdal from 9mg to 7 1/2 mg per day and he has tolerated well. Yesterday doctor added 5mg Abilify to see how he does and hopefully reduce Risperdal and then Abilify all together, but after I gave him the Abilify last night almost right away I noticed an aggressive mood change and today bus driver said he did alot of head banging and disruption. Can the Abilify give him that much of a negative reaction that quickly? Or just coincidence and it is something else?> > Any ideas?> > Barbara> > > ________________________________> From: tammy shaver <ohio_gal79 (DOT) com>> AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) com> Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:20:24 PM> Subject: Re: Abilify> > > > My son who is 9 y/o was on Abilify and he had so much agression from that medicine. His behavior had gotten worse from the medicine and i finally brought it up to the Dr. and she said that Abilify helps some kids with behavior/aggression and some kids it makes it worse. He see's a phycologist at Children's Hospital in Ohio, our appointment' s with her is an 1 1/2 long bec. we go over alott, like each day occurences, any changes, and she care's about his well being. He is taking Vyvanse and his aggression/behavior problems have gone away, he is doing great. The other med's he takes is Serequel in the afternoon and at bedtime and Clonodine at bedtime. The sereqel and clonodine helps him go to sleep at night, with out it he is up for days with no sleeping. Hope this helps, and wish you luck, and everyone on here i pray for. > Tammy>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

I have known at least one person who had a similar diagnosis and for whom the

abilify works quite well and without any side effects.

andra Conroy

Executive Director and Community Leader

L'Arche Chicago 1049 S Austin Blvd Chicago IL

Office:312-226-1273 Home: 773-287-8249

" The secret to l'Arche is relationship: meeting people...heart to heart " .  Jean

Vanier

Visit us on the 2nd Thursday of each month!

IPADDUnite

Sent: Thu, March 4, 2010 9:26:39 PM

Subject: Abilify

My daughter's doctor is planning to change her meds to Abilify. I was

wondering if anyone has any experience with this drug. We are dealing with an

18 year old daughter with autism who is experiencing major obsessive

compulsive behaviors, self-injurious behaviors and aggression.

We have been on the meds " merry-go-round " trying to find something to help

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

I have known at least one person who had a similar diagnosis and for whom the

abilify works quite well and without any side effects.

andra Conroy

Executive Director and Community Leader

L'Arche Chicago 1049 S Austin Blvd Chicago IL

Office:312-226-1273 Home: 773-287-8249

" The secret to l'Arche is relationship: meeting people...heart to heart " .  Jean

Vanier

Visit us on the 2nd Thursday of each month!

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Jill,

I have a 11 yo Aspie who was having similar issues, big issues at School

he has been on Abilify for 3 weeks.

He is doing great, glad we tried it. Good luck

Cheryl

In a message dated 3/5/2010 7:55:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

cas62us@... writes:

Jill,

I hope your merry go round stops soon. It is tough when trying to find the

right medication. I know that Abilify has had positive results with some

people. Like all psychotropic medications and conditions the same medicine

will not work for everyone. Hope it helps your daughter.

Carol

From: _jillplato@..._ (mailto:jillplato@...) <_jillplato@..._

(mailto:jillplato@...) >

_IPADDUnite@groIPADDUn_ (mailto:IPADDUnite )

Date: Thursday, March 4, 2010, 9:26 PM

wondering if anyone has any experience with this drug. We are dealing with

an

her.

Thanks!

Jill

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Guest guest

Jill,

I have a 11 yo Aspie who was having similar issues, big issues at School

he has been on Abilify for 3 weeks.

He is doing great, glad we tried it. Good luck

Cheryl

In a message dated 3/5/2010 7:55:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

cas62us@... writes:

Jill,

I hope your merry go round stops soon. It is tough when trying to find the

right medication. I know that Abilify has had positive results with some

people. Like all psychotropic medications and conditions the same medicine

will not work for everyone. Hope it helps your daughter.

Carol

From: _jillplato@..._ (mailto:jillplato@...) <_jillplato@..._

(mailto:jillplato@...) >

_IPADDUnite@groIPADDUn_ (mailto:IPADDUnite )

wondering if anyone has any experience with this drug. We are dealing with

an

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Jill,

I hope your merry go round stops soon. It is tough when trying to find the right

medication. I know that Abilify has had positive results with some people. Like

all psychotropic medications and conditions the same medicine will not work for

everyone. Hope it helps your daughter.

Carol

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Jill,

I hope your merry go round stops soon. It is tough when trying to find the right

medication. I know that Abilify has had positive results with some people. Like

all psychotropic medications and conditions the same medicine will not work for

everyone. Hope it helps your daughter.

Carol

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Hi Jill,

My son is on Abilify. He has had good results. He is also on a prn for

agitation. Because he has been on psych meds for so many years he does have some

moth movements. I wish there was a way around the side effects. Hope this helps.

Colleen

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Hi Jill,

My son is on Abilify. He has had good results. He is also on a prn for

agitation. Because he has been on psych meds for so many years he does have some

moth movements. I wish there was a way around the side effects. Hope this helps.

Colleen

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Angel's been on Abilify for over a year.  No side effects.  It was to replace

Geodon which was working but also stopped her monthly cycle.

Check my websites:

www.angelspeaks.com

www.angelspeaksproducts.com

I'm on Twitter: http://twitter.com/angelspeaksprod

We Grow Dreams - www.wegrowdreams.org

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Angel's been on Abilify for over a year.  No side effects.  It was to replace

Geodon which was working but also stopped her monthly cycle.

Check my websites:

www.angelspeaks.com

www.angelspeaksproducts.com

I'm on Twitter: http://twitter.com/angelspeaksprod

We Grow Dreams - www.wegrowdreams.org

IPADDUnite

her.

Thanks!

Jill

Guest guest

Jill,

I talked to my son's psychiatrist about putting him on Abilify. He's also on

Ativan & Risperdal. The Risperdal has been decreased, the Ativan increased

slightly. He said that his behavior would probably be worse for a little while.

He wanted him seen a month after starting on the newest regimen/dosage which

would have been today. (We had an appt for March 1st, but it was his birthday &

I expected him to be home that day to do fun stuff.

(He missed coming home for his birthday, but came home Wed.)

He's had a problem with not wanting to eat. It's gotten WORSE; (all he wants to

do is do his " male thing " . So his obssessing has gotten worse. But seems to

react the opposite to meds he's been on.

I wish I had a good answer for you. But we too are still trying to figure out

meds that will work for him.

He's also in an ICF-DD that's not a good place for him, but THAT'S another

story.

Liz

Guest guest

Jill,

I talked to my son's psychiatrist about putting him on Abilify. He's also on

Ativan & Risperdal. The Risperdal has been decreased, the Ativan increased

slightly. He said that his behavior would probably be worse for a little while.

He wanted him seen a month after starting on the newest regimen/dosage which

would have been today. (We had an appt for March 1st, but it was his birthday &

I expected him to be home that day to do fun stuff.

(He missed coming home for his birthday, but came home Wed.)

He's had a problem with not wanting to eat. It's gotten WORSE; (all he wants to

do is do his " male thing " . So his obssessing has gotten worse. But seems to

react the opposite to meds he's been on.

I wish I had a good answer for you. But we too are still trying to figure out

meds that will work for him.

He's also in an ICF-DD that's not a good place for him, but THAT'S another

story.

Liz