RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

introducing myself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome Cheryl and your daughter, I am sorry to hear that your daughter and you both have this. I am Glad you are here in this caring group. Good place to be. I am waiting on the new drug. I have time for it. Just do what you feel is right for you and your daughter. I have aroung 50-60 lbs to lose also. Been doing okay so far. Keep in touch often and let us know how you all are doing. Love to hear from you. Sorry I don't have much information. I am new to this myself.

Check out datagrey's photos and profile!

http://community.webshots.com/user/datagrey

Find me on MySpace and be my friend.

http://www.myspace.com/datagrey

From: Honey1962@... <Honey1962@...>Subject: [ ] Introducing myself Date: Saturday, March 6, 2010, 5:41 PM

Hello all I am sort of a newbie, been here a couple of months just reading and learning new things. I am 47 years old and was diagnosed last year after test results showed my 16 year old daughter tested positive for the Hep C virus. Her doctor said I should be tested to rule out that she had gotten it from me. My tests also came back positive for the virus, I was in total shock when we were contacted from my daughter's doctor and then to realize I was the one who had been the reason she was facing this, has been devastating to us. I know how I contacted it, very bad decisions I made in the early 80's. When I married and decided to have children, I told my OB of what I did and asked him to test me to make sure I didn't have HIV or anything else

related to IV drug use. Happily I was told I didn't have HIV, but back in 1987 they didn't test for HCV. I went on to have 2 children, my son (who is older) and my husband have not been tested yet. My son doesn't have health insurance at the moment and I don't want this to be considered as a pre-existing condition for when he does get it so he is waiting to get tested. My husband for whatever reason won't go get tested. He also dabbled with drug use in the early 80's and my very well have it also. My daughter and I have both started seeing a gastro doctor, and we are thinking about starting treatment, but with all the side effects I am not sure if we should wait until the new treatment comes out or start the one that is available now? We are both genotype 1a. My HCV RNA SER/PLAS PCR is 1660000. My HEPATITIS C VIRUS RNA, LOG, SER/PLAS, SIGNAL AMPLIFIED PROBE is 6.22.

My liver function test results are as follows

Component Your value Standard range

TOTAL PROTEIN

6.3-8.3 G/DL

ALBUMIN

4.0-5.4 G/DL

ALT

0-50 U/L

AST

9-53 U/L

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE

35-129 U/L

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL

0.2-1.3 MG/DL

BILIRUBIN, DIRECT

0.0-0.3 MG/DL

I don't know what any of the test results mean, I have not been back to my gastro doctor since Sept when I told him I would start the treatment, but from what I read I should have a liver biopsy first. He didn't suggest one before I start treatment. I was scheduled to do a liver biopsy and chickened out. Everything was happening so fast I just needed time to research and learn everything I can learn. I am for the most part healthy, I am about 40 - 50 lbs overweight and on a low dose of high blood pressure med to control my blood pressure. I am trying to loose weight before starting the treatment, I heard that helps in the success rate.

I appreciate all the information that I have learned from this list and will keep you up to date as to what I decide to do as to treatment. Please feel free to share any of what you've learned and any encouragement I could really use it.

Cheryl

Guest guest

Gloria,

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I would love to personally email you, but I don't know how to find your email. If you could send it to me at my email which is honey1962@... I would just love to chat with you I am frightened out of my mind and you sound so confident and have personal knowledge. Thank you again for taking the time to write me, this group has been such a savior to me since I joined.

Cheryl

Re: [ ] Introducing myself

Cheryl

I am sooo sorry to hear about your daughter!! As a mother, as well, that was one of my greatest concerns and at that time, there sure wasn't a whole lot of information about the possibility. Of course, he wouldn't just go to a Dr. for the simple little blood test either. Eventually, while he was back home and going to the local college, he got very ill and two sets of Hepatitis tests were run on him. (He was the brightest yellow I've ever seen on a human being). But, it turned out HALLELUH that it was not the Hep C; but, get this - Mono....

Now, your daughter is very young and if she is healthy otherwise, there should be VERY little problems with kicking the virus. In fact, I'd venture to say that she is not showing much in the way of bad readings etc.

As for yourself, yes - your readings are a little over the norm; but, really not much at all. Also, thoses ALT and AST (liver enzyme readings) flucuate constantly. Could even be that the next time you have a test, they could read within the normal range. I'll bet that you haven't even felt ill or overly fatigued have you??? That, unfortunately is the "silent" part of this epidemic.

Now, please, the liver biopsy for either one of you, is the most important of all the tests!! Here's a suggestion, because you mentioned you are a bit overweight (aren't we all in our mid years) ask the Gastro to suggest on the request for the biopsy, that they use extra freezing. Plain outright tell him/her that the biopsy scares you spitless. Even overact your fear!! On my last biopsy, that wonderful Radiologist made sure she got the freezing right through my fat and right down to the liver (and I didn't even ask for extra). Livers can not be frozen; however, but neither do they have any nerves, so one can not feel anything from it. Thus, I did not feel a thing and just found it boring that I had to wait for the hour afterwards, in case I started bleeding!!! Oh and don't be afraid to tell the Radiologist as well, when he/she comes in to do the procedure. Beef it up real good!!! There is a second or two that you are not to move, so if you are shivering in fear before that, they are more likely to ensure enough freezing because it's easier on them then.

Now, as for treatment!! I'm thinking just at the moment that the Gastro is not going to push very hard about treatment with your readings. As Don has probably already told you, there is a new addition to an old treatment, that is supposed to raise the chances of genotype 1's getting a higher probability of success. My first treatment, back in 2004/2005 ended after 48 weeks, that I was a Non-Responder. In the early months, I was responding wonderfully and in fact, it shocked the whole team that was working with me that it ended with such a disappointment. However, as a result of it, as well, I was selected to go on the Clinical Trial with the Protease Inhibitor along with Interferon/Ribivirn last year. I'm so pleased to say that I appear to be totally successful after this round.

The only reason that I would suggest the wait, is because, you want to do the treatment that has the highest rate of success. It should be available at the end of this year or early next. Yes, it is a long haul, doing it for 48 weeks. With the new Trio, there is a great possibility that you would only have to do 24 weeks; however, I haven't seen studies on the success of that yet. Truthfully, on my first treatment, I did not experience many side affects and the ones that did happen, like a hyper thyroid and a bit of hair loss, was all fixed the moment the treatment was ended. I never got sick; but, just more fatigued than normal. The HepC nurses suggested I pick a certain evening of the week, when the next couple of days would be times that I wouldn't have to be so busy. So, I choose a Friday night!! As far as I was concerned, the weekends were mine for that 48 weeks. Sometimes I needed the whole weekend and sometimes I was honestly just being lazy... By the way, I lost MAYBE 5 lbs from start to finish and of course, the side that I really wanted was the weight loss.

Now, my 2nd treatment, kicked me with sides that were different from the 1st. I lost a whole lot less hair; but, did also loose 30 lbs. Not from being sick either, just because it seemed to want to shed and especially as I began to stop some little habits. However, I could certainly stand to loose another 30 lbs and it would leave me just a plump older lady and not a FAT one. LOL LOL

Know that I would be here for you through the entire treatment and you can use my personal e-mail address anytime at all. In fact, if you use MSN, that same e-mail address will lead you right to my MSN.

Please keep the spirit really high and don't let the stress of any of this make you any sicker!!! I always looked to the successful finish and doing something that would be entirely enjoyable to me. Like, taking the travel trailer out to one of the numerous beaches surrounded by hugh trees, on this island where I live. Sometimes, I even used the wish that my son would make me a Grandmother some day; but, couldn't do that so much because it was just a fantasy LOL

Gloria

Hello all I am sort of a newbie, been here a couple of months just reading and learning new things. I am 47 years old and was diagnosed last year after test results showed my 16 year old daughter tested positive for the Hep C virus. Her doctor said I should be tested to rule out that she had gotten it from me. My tests also came back positive for the virus, I was in total shock when we were contacted from my daughter's doctor and then to realize I was the one who had been the reason she was facing this, has been devastating to us. I know how I contacted it, very bad decisions I made in the early 80's. When I married and decided to have children, I told my OB of what I did and asked him to test me to make sure I didn't have HIV or anything else related to IV drug use. Happily I was told I didn't have HIV, but back in 1987 they didn't test for HCV. I went on to have 2 children, my son (who is older) and my husband have not been tested yet. My son doesn't have health insurance at the moment and I don't want this to be considered as a pre-existing condition for when he does get it so he is waiting to get tested. My husband for whatever reason won't go get tested. He also dabbled with drug use in the early 80's and my very well have it also. My daughter and I have both started seeing a gastro doctor, and we are thinking about starting treatment, but with all the side effects I am not sure if we should wait until the new treatment comes out or start the one that is available now? We are both genotype 1a. My HCV RNA SER/PLAS PCR is 1660000. My HEPATITIS C VIRUS RNA, LOG, SER/PLAS, SIGNAL AMPLIFIED PROBE is 6.22.

TOTAL PROTEIN

6.3-8.3 G/DL

ALBUMIN

4.0-5.4 G/DL

ALT

0-50 U/L

AST

9-53 U/L

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE

35-129 U/L

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL

0.2-1.3 MG/DL

BILIRUBIN, DIRECT

0.0-0.3 MG/DL

I don't know what any of the test results mean, I have not been back to my gastro doctor since Sept when I told him I would start the treatment, but from what I read I should have a liver biopsy first. He didn't suggest one before I start treatment. I was scheduled to do a liver biopsy and chickened out. Everything was happening so fast I just needed time to research and learn everything I can learn. I am for the most part healthy, I am about 40 - 50 lbs overweight and on a low dose of high blood pressure med to control my blood pressure. I am trying to loose weight before starting the treatment, I heard that helps in the success rate.

I appreciate all the information that I have learned from this list and will keep you up to date as to what I decide to do as to treatment. Please feel free to share any of what you've learned and any encouragement I could really use it.

Cheryl

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Guest guest

Hello Cheryl,I would love to email personally with you also. I have had Hep C since (well I don't know when I got it) but I found out in 1993 that I had it. I have been on the medicine twice now (with no success once completed) and love reading and replying from time to time. I always am here for anyone and I know everyone is here for me when I need it. I will send an email to your honey1962@aol and go from there. We are close in age also, I was born in 1960.Have a good day,SheilaFrom: "Honey1962@..." <Honey1962@...> Sent: Sat, March 6, 2010 10:51:00 PMSubject: Re: [ ] Introducing myself

Gloria,

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I would love to personally email you, but I don't know how to find your email. If you could send it to me at my email which is honey1962aol (DOT) com I would just love to chat with you I am frightened out of my mind and you sound so confident and have personal knowledge. Thank you again for taking the time to write me, this group has been such a savior to me since I joined.

Cheryl

Cheryl

I am sooo sorry to hear about your daughter!! As a mother, as well, that was one of my greatest concerns and at that time, there sure wasn't a whole lot of information about the possibility. Of course, he wouldn't just go to a Dr. for the simple little blood test either. Eventually, while he was back home and going to the local college, he got very ill and two sets of Hepatitis tests were run on him. (He was the brightest yellow I've ever seen on a human being). But, it turned out HALLELUH that it was not the Hep C; but, get this - Mono....

Now, your daughter is very young and if she is healthy otherwise, there should be VERY little problems with kicking the virus. In fact, I'd venture to say that she is not showing much in the way of bad readings etc.

As for yourself, yes - your readings are a little over the norm; but, really not much at all. Also, thoses ALT and AST (liver enzyme readings) flucuate constantly. Could even be that the next time you have a test, they could read within the normal range. I'll bet that you haven't even felt ill or overly fatigued have you??? That, unfortunately is the "silent" part of this epidemic.

Now, please, the liver biopsy for either one of you, is the most important of all the tests!! Here's a suggestion, because you mentioned you are a bit overweight (aren't we all in our mid years) ask the Gastro to suggest on the request for the biopsy, that they use extra freezing. Plain outright tell him/her that the biopsy scares you spitless. Even overact your fear!! On my last biopsy, that wonderful Radiologist made sure she got the freezing right through my fat and right down to the liver (and I didn't even ask for extra). Livers can not be frozen; however, but neither do they have any nerves, so one can not feel anything from it. Thus, I did not feel a thing and just found it boring that I had to wait for the hour afterwards, in case I started bleeding!!! Oh and don't be afraid to tell the Radiologist as well, when he/she comes in to do the procedure. Beef it up

real good!!! There is a second or two that you are not to move, so if you are shivering in fear before that, they are more likely to ensure enough freezing because it's easier on them then.

Now, as for treatment!! I'm thinking just at the moment that the Gastro is not going to push very hard about treatment with your readings. As Don has probably already told you, there is a new addition to an old treatment, that is supposed to raise the chances of genotype 1's getting a higher probability of success. My first treatment, back in 2004/2005 ended after 48 weeks, that I was a Non-Responder. In the early months, I was responding wonderfully and in fact, it shocked the whole team that was working with me that it ended with such a disappointment. However, as a result of it, as well, I was selected to go on the Clinical Trial with the Protease Inhibitor along with Interferon/Ribivirn last year. I'm so pleased to say that I appear to be totally successful after this round.

The only reason that I would suggest the wait, is because, you want to do the treatment that has the highest rate of success. It should be available at the end of this year or early next. Yes, it is a long haul, doing it for 48 weeks. With the new Trio, there is a great possibility that you would only have to do 24 weeks; however, I haven't seen studies on the success of that yet. Truthfully, on my first treatment, I did not experience many side affects and the ones that did happen, like a hyper thyroid and a bit of hair loss, was all fixed the moment the treatment was ended. I never got sick; but, just more fatigued than normal. The HepC nurses suggested I pick a certain evening of the week, when the next couple of days would be times that I wouldn't have to be so busy. So, I choose a Friday night!! As far as I was concerned, the weekends were mine for that 48 weeks. Sometimes I needed the whole

weekend and sometimes I was honestly just being lazy... By the way, I lost MAYBE 5 lbs from start to finish and of course, the side that I really wanted was the weight loss.

Now, my 2nd treatment, kicked me with sides that were different from the 1st. I lost a whole lot less hair; but, did also loose 30 lbs. Not from being sick either, just because it seemed to want to shed and especially as I began to stop some little habits. However, I could certainly stand to loose another 30 lbs and it would leave me just a plump older lady and not a FAT one. LOL LOL

Know that I would be here for you through the entire treatment and you can use my personal e-mail address anytime at all. In fact, if you use MSN, that same e-mail address will lead you right to my MSN.

Please keep the spirit really high and don't let the stress of any of this make you any sicker!!! I always looked to the successful finish and doing something that would be entirely enjoyable to me. Like, taking the travel trailer out to one of the numerous beaches surrounded by hugh trees, on this island where I live. Sometimes, I even used the wish that my son would make me a Grandmother some day; but, couldn't do that so much because it was just a fantasy LOL

Gloria

Hello all I am sort of a newbie, been here a couple of months just reading and learning new things. I am 47 years old and was diagnosed last year after test results showed my 16 year old daughter tested positive for the Hep C virus. Her doctor said I should be tested to rule out that she had gotten it from me. My tests also came back positive for the virus, I was in total shock when we were contacted from my daughter's doctor and then to realize I was the one who had been the reason she was facing this, has been devastating to us. I know how I contacted it, very bad decisions I made in the early 80's. When I married and decided to have children, I told my OB of what I did and asked him to test me to make sure I didn't have HIV or anything else related to IV drug use. Happily I was

told I didn't have HIV, but back in 1987 they didn't test for HCV. I went on to have 2 children, my son (who is older) and my husband have not been tested yet. My son doesn't have health insurance at the moment and I don't want this to be considered as a pre-existing condition for when he does get it so he is waiting to get tested. My husband for whatever reason won't go get tested. He also dabbled with drug use in the early 80's and my very well have it also. My daughter and I have both started seeing a gastro doctor, and we are thinking about starting treatment, but with all the side effects I am not sure if we should wait until the new treatment comes out or start the one that is available now? We are both genotype 1a. My HCV RNA SER/PLAS PCR is 1660000. My HEPATITIS C VIRUS RNA, LOG, SER/PLAS, SIGNAL AMPLIFIED PROBE is 6.22.

TOTAL PROTEIN

6.3-8.3 G/DL

ALBUMIN

4.0-5.4 G/DL

ALT

0-50 U/L

AST

9-53 U/L

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE

35-129 U/L

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL

0.2-1.3 MG/DL

BILIRUBIN, DIRECT

0.0-0.3 MG/DL

Cheryl

Guest guest

SheilaI too, hope that Cheryl continues communication with the whole group. All and anyone here are very important because sometimes we just don't know when our sharing is affecting another hurting soul out there. There still are sooo many!!!Gloria

Hey Gloria,I didn't say "closer" in age but close in age "also", lol. I hope Cheryl can communicate with both of us,,,you have a bit more experience in this then I do and are more familiar with this website.Love you,Sheila From: Gloria <gadamscan (DOT) ca> Sent: Tue, March 9,

2010 1:22:24 AMSubject: Re: [ ] Introducing myself

Hey LadiesI'm only 10 yrs older. LOL LOLGloria

Hello Cheryl,I would love to email personally with you also. I have had Hep C since (well I don't know when I got it) but I found out in 1993 that I had it. I have been on the medicine twice now (with no success once completed) and love reading and replying from time to time. I always am here for anyone and I know everyone is here for me when I need it. I will send an email to your honey1962@aol and go from there. We are close in age also, I was born in 1960.Have a good day,SheilaFrom: "Honey1962aol (DOT) com"

<Honey1962aol (DOT) com> Sent: Sat, March 6, 2010 10:51:00 PMSubject: Re: [ ] Introducing myself

Gloria,

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I would love to personally email you, but I don't know how to find your email. If you could send it to me at my email which is honey1962aol (DOT) com I would just love to chat with you I am frightened out of my mind and you sound so confident and have personal knowledge. Thank you again for taking the time to write me, this group has been such a savior to me since I joined.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Now, please, the liver biopsy for either one of you, is the most important of all the tests!! Here's a suggestion, because you mentioned you are a bit overweight (aren't we all in our mid years) ask the Gastro to suggest on the request for the biopsy, that they use extra freezing. Plain outright tell him/her that the biopsy scares you spitless. Even overact your fear!! On my last biopsy, that wonderful Radiologist made sure she got the freezing right through my fat and right down to the liver (and I didn't even ask for extra). Livers can not be frozen; however, but neither do they have any nerves, so one can not feel anything from it. Thus, I did not feel a thing and just found it boring that I had to wait for the hour afterwards, in case I started bleeding!!! Oh and don't be afraid to tell the Radiologist as well, when he/she comes in to do the procedure. Beef it up

real good!!! There is a second or two that you are not to move, so if you are shivering in fear before that, they are more likely to ensure enough freezing because it's easier on them then.

The only reason that I would suggest the wait, is because, you want to do the treatment that has the highest rate of success. It should be available at the end of this year or early next. Yes, it is a long haul, doing it for 48 weeks. With the new Trio, there is a great possibility that you would only have to do 24 weeks; however, I haven't seen studies on the success of that yet. Truthfully, on my first treatment, I did not experience many side affects and the ones that did happen, like a hyper thyroid and a bit of hair loss, was all fixed the moment the treatment was ended. I never got sick; but, just more fatigued than normal. The HepC nurses suggested I pick a certain evening of the week, when the next couple of days would be times that I wouldn't have to be so busy. So, I choose a Friday night!! As far as I was concerned, the weekends were mine for that 48 weeks. Sometimes I needed the whole

weekend and sometimes I was honestly just being lazy... By the way, I lost MAYBE 5 lbs from start to finish and of course, the side that I really wanted was the weight loss.

Gloria

Hello all I am sort of a newbie, been here a couple of months just reading and learning new things. I am 47 years old and was diagnosed last year after test results showed my 16 year old daughter tested positive for the Hep C virus. Her doctor said I should be tested to rule out that she had gotten it from me. My tests also came back positive for the virus, I was in total shock when we were contacted from my daughter's doctor and then to realize I was the one who had been the reason she was facing this, has been devastating to us. I know how I contacted it, very bad decisions I made in the early 80's. When I married and decided to have children, I told my OB of what I did and asked him to test me to make sure I didn't have HIV or anything else related to IV drug use. Happily I was

told I didn't have HIV, but back in 1987 they didn't test for HCV. I went on to have 2 children, my son (who is older) and my husband have not been tested yet. My son doesn't have health insurance at the moment and I don't want this to be considered as a pre-existing condition for when he does get it so he is waiting to get tested. My husband for whatever reason won't go get tested. He also dabbled with drug use in the early 80's and my very well have it also. My daughter and I have both started seeing a gastro doctor, and we are thinking about starting treatment, but with all the side effects I am not sure if we should wait until the new treatment comes out or start the one that is available now? We are both genotype 1a. My HCV RNA SER/PLAS PCR is 1660000. My HEPATITIS C VIRUS RNA, LOG, SER/PLAS, SIGNAL AMPLIFIED PROBE is 6.22.

TOTAL PROTEIN

6.3-8.3 G/DL

ALBUMIN

4.0-5.4 G/DL

ALT

0-50 U/L

AST

9-53 U/L

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE

35-129 U/L

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL

0.2-1.3 MG/DL

BILIRUBIN, DIRECT

0.0-0.3 MG/DL

Cheryl

All new - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.

Guest guest

Hi, my name is Liz T., and I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking and learning for a while! I have a 12 year old AS son, and a 5 year old NT daughter. Like many of you, my son has had many and complicated issues for years. Each year, his HUGE issues with anxiety and transitions have gotten worse; along with that,the verbal abuse from him and physical aggression got worse and worse. I basically had to 1:1 my daughter for a few years. We tried counseling (and still do it), homeopathic route, etc. and finally started trying medication about 1 1/2 years ago. He was diagnosed with AS a little more than a year ago. Since it is trial and error, we couldn't find the right meds for a while and he was hospitalized last spring.

He is now on 3 meds, and with this combination, the physical aggression stopped and the verbal abuse (name calling, swearing, yelling, tantrums, rage episodes, etc.) is less. However, if anyone walked into our home, they would still think we had major problems. I might add, I can acknowledge they help, but I hate and despise one of the meds!! I don't know if it is my denial that he needs it, or the category, or the awful side effects.

I have read dozens of books and countless articles trying to understand, and trying to figure out what we need to do to support and help my son. I am looking forward to learning form everyone else what works for them; and to try to survive better in all of this!

Thanks,

Liz T.

Guest guest

Welcome Liz! Sounds like you're trying hard to do what's best for

your kids. It's not easy. It seems like sometimes we have to find

the lesser of the evils for our kids (re: meds). If you hate one of

the meds, there is most likely another option to try for that med. ?

Jen

Lymie parents, 5yo Lymie/Aspie

On 10/24/2010 4:40 AM, Liz Turenne wrote:

Hi, my name is Liz T., and I wanted to introduce

myself. I have been lurking and learning for a while!

I have a 12 year old AS son, and a 5 year old NT

daughter. Like many of you, my son has had many and

complicated issues for years. Each year, his HUGE

issues with anxiety and transitions have gotten worse;

along with that,the verbal abuse from him and physical

aggression got worse and worse. I basically had to 1:1

my daughter for a few years. We tried counseling (and

still do it), homeopathic route, etc. and finally

started trying medication about 1 1/2 years ago. He was

diagnosed with AS a little more than a year ago. Since

it is trial and error, we couldn't find the right meds

for a while and he was hospitalized last spring.

He is now on 3 meds, and with this combination, the

physical aggression stopped and the verbal abuse (name

calling, swearing, yelling, tantrums, rage episodes,

etc.) is less. However, if anyone walked into our home,

they would still think we had major problems. I might

add, I can acknowledge they help, but I hate and despise

one of the meds!! I don't know if it is my denial that

he needs it, or the category, or the awful side effects.

I have read dozens of books and countless articles

trying to understand, and trying to figure out what we

need to do to support and help my son. I am looking

forward to learning form everyone else what works for

them; and to try to survive better in all of this!

Thanks,

Liz T.

Guest guest

My first advice would be to identify any sensory issues he might have. You can have an Occupantional therpist observe him plus if you read up on it on the interet you can probably identify a lot of issues yourself. For us is was severe shirt chewing, etc..... In a very real sense I believe that the sensory issues cause so many challenges during the typical day that they have little energy for social interaction. Plus the sensory issues will lead to lots of their odd behavior also all leading to increased anxiety. I read the book they make below first and it was a good intro into sensory integration disorder which like 80% of autisics and Aspergers people have.

http://www.readybodies.com/

By helping them learn to regulate their own bodies better you will in effect free them up to start dealing with their other issues. Imagine if a bump on the hard felt like a punch. For my son touch was a bit of an issue so we noticed him always and the front or back of a line. To adapt to sensory behaviors many become what is called sensory defensive which leads to their isolation. By dealing with the sensory issues their hand writing will improve, etc.... So it can help them in school, socially, and with their anxiety etc... Just imagine if running or swinging on a swing was a really difficult thing that required all your attention. It would then be very hard to communicate with someone at the same time.

Sensory issues can be minimized and healthy adaptive behaviors learned. So this would be my best advice. Start on this and then you can begin peeling away the layers of deficits that affect your childs behavior. You son is older so it may or may not be difficult I don't have any experience with this other than that the sooner you start the better.

With regard to your son's physical aggression this is probably because his flight or flight response is geared higher. This is probably from a combination of anxiety and sensory issues. Again if his nervious system doesn't interpret certain kinds of touch or pressure right his body will be flooded with adrenaline, etc... A touch my feel like a strong poke. Kids at his age group might having some of it coming anyway.

The other advice I have is to deal with one or two issues at a time. For example if he doesn't hear his name well really practice this over and over until it improves. Once he hears his name he can have better relationships at school. You get the idea.

Obviously as a parent you need to work on everything but try to focus on one or two things at a time with extra intensity.

As fars as meds go we aren't on any.......yet. Our son has always had a hard time going to bed. Plus his focus went from better than last year, back to as bad as last year in school. So from the defeat Autism Now website we decided to try a bit of melatonin before bed. So on the advice the assistant teacher who herself developed ADD in college we started supplementing with Omega 3. The combination of the two has been really really impressive. He goes to bed faster. His anxiety is much less. This is due to the meletonin. The focus is also better at school which I attribute to the Omega-3. The Omega-3 seems to have also helped his focus during soccor. We missed one meletonin this week. And that night he had trouble falling asleep. The next day his eye contact wasn't as good and he was quiet in the

morning. He definately was a bit more anxious also the next day.

For us melatonin really calms him down and he enjoys talking with other people more as a result. I can definately say that for us it has helped. For us daily exercise, OT, Meletonin, and Omega-3 have made the biggest difference so far. Each kid is different too. I think we are on the mild end of things. Also be aware that it is very common for ADHD, OCD, Asperger's, and Autism symptoms to overlap, etc...

From: Liz Turenne <liztt121@...>Subject: ( ) introducing myself Date: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 4:40 AM

Hi, my name is Liz T., and I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking and learning for a while! I have a 12 year old AS son, and a 5 year old NT daughter. Like many of you, my son has had many and complicated issues for years. Each year, his HUGE issues with anxiety and transitions have gotten worse; along with that,the verbal abuse from him and physical aggression got worse and worse. I basically had to 1:1 my daughter for a few years. We tried counseling (and still do it), homeopathic route, etc. and finally started trying medication about 1 1/2 years ago. He was diagnosed with AS a little more than a year ago. Since it is trial and error, we couldn't find the right meds for a while and he was hospitalized last spring.

He is now on 3 meds, and with this combination, the physical aggression stopped and the verbal abuse (name calling, swearing, yelling, tantrums, rage episodes, etc.) is less. However, if anyone walked into our home, they would still think we had major problems. I might add, I can acknowledge they help, but I hate and despise one of the meds!! I don't know if it is my denial that he needs it, or the category, or the awful side effects.

I have read dozens of books and countless articles trying to understand, and trying to figure out what we need to do to support and help my son. I am looking forward to learning form everyone else what works for them; and to try to survive better in all of this!

Thanks,

Liz T.

Guest guest

Hi Jen, thank you for the welcome. When he was hospitalized, they put him on Seroquel, and it is the first thing that has stopped the aggression and decreased the huge outbursts. We have tried Prozac, Abilify (got kind of manic on it), and Risperidal (ate non-stop and compulsively). Between the med trials and now Seroquel, he gained 20 pounds since January. He was very slim, so he is not overweight, and it seems to have slowed down. I hate Seroquel because of the weight gain and the fact that ti is an anti-psychotic, and the long term issues for possible diabetes. But, what can I do? I want him to be able to live with us. He also takes Intuniv for the ADHD and Buspar for anxiety.

Take Care,

Liz T.

Re: introducing myself

Posted by: "" jenuhferr@... jenuhferr

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:06 pm (PDT)

Welcome Liz! Sounds like you're trying hard to do what's best for your kids. It's not easy. It seems like sometimes we have to find the lesser of the evils for our kids (re: meds). If you hate one of the meds, there is most likely another option to try for that med. ?JenLymie parents, 5yo Lymie/Aspie

Guest guest

Liz,

Your doctors have probably already done this but make sure they tested his thyroid. They used to lock people up who were hyperthyroid cause they thought they were crazy when they weren't. Hypothyroidsm can cause problems too. Just make sure to check that off the list.

From: Liz Turenne <liztt121@...>Subject: ( ) Re: introducing myself Date: Monday, October 25, 2010, 11:51 AM

Hi Jen, thank you for the welcome. When he was hospitalized, they put him on Seroquel, and it is the first thing that has stopped the aggression and decreased the huge outbursts. We have tried Prozac, Abilify (got kind of manic on it), and Risperidal (ate non-stop and compulsively). Between the med trials and now Seroquel, he gained 20 pounds since January. He was very slim, so he is not overweight, and it seems to have slowed down. I hate Seroquel because of the weight gain and the fact that ti is an anti-psychotic, and the long term issues for possible diabetes. But, what can I do? I want him to be able to live with us. He also takes Intuniv for the ADHD and Buspar for anxiety.

Take Care,

Liz T.

Posted by: "" jenuhferr@... jenuhferr

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:06 pm (PDT)

Welcome Liz! Sounds like you're trying hard to do what's best for your kids. It's not easy. It seems like sometimes we have to find the lesser of the evils for our kids (re: meds). If you hate one of the meds, there is most likely another option to try for that med. ?JenLymie parents, 5yo Lymie/Aspie

Guest guest

Liz,

Have you tried ABA therapy? I've heard such great things about it and we just

got approval through our insurance to start it. Not sure if this would help you,

but it might be worth looking in to. Autism Speaks website has excellent

information on ABA therapy.

;-) ne

>

> Hi, my name is Liz T., and I wanted to introduce myself.  I have been lurking

> and learning for a while!  I have a 12 year old AS son, and a 5 year old NT

> daughter.  Like many of you, my son has had many and complicated issues for

> years.  Each year, his HUGE issues with anxiety and transitions have gotten

> worse; along with that,the verbal abuse from him and physical aggression got

> worse and worse.  I basically had to 1:1 my daughter for a few years.  We

tried

> counseling (and still do it), homeopathic route, etc. and finally started

trying

> medication about 1 1/2 years ago.  He was diagnosed with AS a little more than

a

> year ago.  Since it is trial and error, we couldn't find the right meds for a

> while and he was hospitalized last spring.

>

> He is now on 3 meds, and with this combination, the physical aggression

stopped

> and the verbal abuse (name calling, swearing, yelling, tantrums, rage

episodes,

> etc.) is less.  However, if anyone walked into our home, they would still

think

> we had major problems.  I might add, I can acknowledge they help, but I hate

and

> despise one of the meds!!  I don't know if it is my denial that he needs it,

or

> the category, or the awful side effects.

>

> I have read dozens of books and countless articles trying to understand, and

> trying to figure out what we need to do to support and help my son.  I am

> looking forward to learning form everyone else what works for them; and to try

> to survive better in all of this!

>

> Thanks,

>

> Liz T.

>

Guest guest

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I have hypothyroidism, and we had tested as an infant. I will make sure we get that done with the next round of bloodwork.

Thanks,

Liz T.

3a.

Posted by: "Southard Engineering, Inc." southardengineering@... southardengineering

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:23 am (PDT)

Liz, Your doctors have probably already done this but make sure they tested his thyroid. They used to lock people up who were hyperthyroid cause they thought they were crazy when they weren't. Hypothyroidsm can cause problems too. Just make sure to check that off the list.