RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Worried

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It's so normal to be scared when a big change is about to happen in both of your lives. Do you have someone who can be with you in the hospital when you wait for the surgery to be over, maybe grab a bite in the cafeteria with you? If you'll be at home, could there be someone there to stay with you? Typically, he'll be in the hospital for 4 or 5 days and then stay in a rehab. for a week..maybe 2 depending on his progress. If you need basic assistance,like transportation to and from the hospital or care with your home or meals, please let the hospital coordinator know. They might have a family network service of social workers or volunteers that could be of assistance to you.

Most importantly, keep on reaching out just as you've done with your e-mail. The next few days may seem hard but they will pass. And just think how great it will be when you've got your sweetie back home, with the surgery BEHIND you both! Please ask about the resources that the hospital has to offer, don't wait for them to mention it...YOU can do this!

My thoughts are with you both. Hang in there.

Good will

Worried

My husband is going in for total hip replacement tomorrow. I am so worried as I am very dependent on him. Does anyone else or did anyone else deal with this

Rudy20

Guest guest

I just had THR and my husband is the best support both mentally and

helping me physically.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but shouldn't you worry about

his well-being rather than yours at this trying time for him ?

Puzzled in VA.....

> My husband is getting total hip replacement tomorrow and I am very

> worried. What will it be like for me while he's in surgury etc.

> Please advise

Guest guest

Nanci,

From what I've been seeing on this forum total hip replacement experiences range from lots of problems to very successful experiences. Your husband will be out of action for at least six to eight weeks as far as driving and most household chores. My wife was home with me for the first two days after my release from the hospital. I became self sufficient fairly quickly but that's relative to my needs, not the family's.

The variables are your husband's age, general health and strength, and practical matters like the layout of your home (lots of steps vs no steps, toilet access, etc.). Hopefully, your insurance will allow for in home nursing and physical therapy. If your husband does need one-on-one care a rehab facility might be an option vs going home from the hospital.

I hope this helps.

Gerard

-----Original Message-----From: Nanci son [mailto:n.martinson@...]Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 12:45 AMJoint Replacement Subject: Worried

My husband is going in for total hip replacement tomorrow. I am so worried as I am very dependent on him. Does anyone else or did anyone else deal with this

Rudy20

Guest guest

Dear Nanci

My wife went through this when I had my TRHR several years ago. She worried, cared, prayed, loved and shared my concern. After the surgery he understood the pain I was experiencing and did whatever she could to help me. Be Strong.

Abraham I. GordonNanci son <n.martinson@...> wrote:

Rudy20

Guest guest

I PRAY THAT CHRIST WILL MAKE HISHOME IN YOUR HEARTSTHROUGH FAITH

My husband is getting total hip replacement tomorrow and I am very worried. What will it be like for me while he's in surgury etc. Please advise

HI LOVE,

IT WILL BE MUCH WORSE FOR YOU THAN IT WILL FOR HIM. I REMEMBER LEAVING MY DAUGHTER AND HUSBAND STANDING IN THE HALLWAY WHERE MY GURNEY WENT AROUND A CORNER, AND THE NURSE PUSHED THE BUTTON FOR THE ELEVATOR. I REMEMBER WATCHING THE DOORS TO SEE WHICH ONE WOULD OPEN AND THEN I WOKE UP IN MY ROOM WITH SURGERY ALL DONE.

YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH YOUR HANDS. DO YOU QUILT, OR EMBROIDER, OR KNIT? DO WORD SEARCH PUZZLES? HAVE A FRIEND TO SIT WITH YOU? TAKE A WARM SWEATER OR JACKET--THE AIR CONDITIONING IS TERRIBLE IN THOSE PLACES. HAVE SOME CASH FOR SNACKS, A LOT OF TIME CAN BE USED UP IN WALKING TO AND FROM THE SNACK ROOM. AND OF COURSE, TAKE YOUR BIBLE. THERE IS GREAT COMFORT IN GOD'S PROMISES.

IT IS TOTALLY AWESOME WHAT CAN BE DONE IN THIS DAY AND AGE. WHEN I WOKE UP, JUST LIKE MY DOCTOR HAD PROMISED, MY HIP DID NOT HURT. THE INCISION HURT, OF COURSE, AND IT MAKE ME VERY CAUTIOUS ABOUT MOVING AROUND A LOT. BUT THE HIP PAIN WAS ABSOLUTELY GONE! IT IS MARVELOUS.

I AM SCHEDULED IN FOR A NEW KNEE NOW AND IT IS HARD TO WAIT. I AM WALKING ALL OVER THE HOUSE WITH A WALKER, PUTTING ONLY 50% OF MY WEIGHT ON THE NEW HIP. I HAVE BEEN BACK FOR MY FOLLOW UP WHERE THEY TOOK AN X-RAY AND IT IS PICTURE PERFECT! I AM DELIGHTED WITH IT. I WOULD TELL ANYONE TO DO IT! JUST ENCOURAGE HIM TO DO EXACTLY WHAT THEY TELL HIM TO DO AND HE WILL BE SMILING IN NO TIME AT ALL!

AND FORGIVE HIM FOR ALL HIS NASTINESS PRE-SURGERY. THAT WAS THE PAIN TALKING. I HAVE BEEN A BASKET CASE, BECAUSE I NEED TWO KNEES DONE AS WELL AS THAT HIP, AND PROBABLY THE OTHER HIP, TOO, BEFORE TOO LONG. THE PAIN TAKES OVER--IT REALLY DOES. THERE IS NO ENERGY LEFT IN HIS BODY TO THINK OF ANYTHING BUT HOW TO MAKE IT STOP HURTING.

I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU AND WISH YOU BOTH ALL OF GOD'S GOODNESS AND HAPPINESS.

HUGS FROM HERE,

MARGE MULDER

Guest guest

Worried

Rudy20

I WOULD TELL YOU THE SAME AS I TOLD RUDYTUDY20.

HE WILL SOON BE BACK WITH YOU, CLOSER THAN EVER. WITH THE PAIN GONE, HE WILL HAVE ENERGY FOR YOU.

DO YOU PLAY GAMES TOGETHER? CARDS, MEXICAN TRAIN DOMINOES, SCRABBLE? OR DO YOU WATCH THE TV TOGETHER AND ROOT FOR THE HOME TEAM? I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MY FOLKS PLAY GAMES WITH ME MORE, BUT THEY ARE BUSY RUNNING THE HOUSE AND OUT CHECKING OUT GARAGE SALES AND PLANTING FLOWERS AND BRINGING PLANTS IN FOR THE WINTER.

MY SURGERY WAS OCTOBER 22, AND I AM UP AND ABOUT. I AM GLAD I WENT UP TO THE IN-HOSPITAL THERAPY FLOOR FOR A WEEK. IT WAS GREATLY BENEFICIAL. IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO KEEP DOING THE EXERCISES. I AM BACK IN THE POOL AT THE YMCA ALREADY. IT FEELS MARVELOUS TO HAVE THE FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT WITHOUT WEIGHTBEARING. KEEP BUILDING UP THE MUSCLES THAT WERE SO FULL OF INFLAMMATION THAT THEY COULD NOT WORK PROPERLY. I EXPECT TO BE HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS NEXT OCTOBER, WITH A NEW HIP AND TWO NEW KNEES! COME ON ---LET'S GO!

HUGS, MARGE MULDER

Guest guest

> My husband is getting total hip replacement tomorrow and I am very

> worried. What will it be like for me while he's in surgury etc.

> Please advise

Although I was the one who had the surgery, my family used the 3-4

hours that they spent waiting for me to get out of surgery and be

taken to my room this way (so I am told): I'm told that they ate in

the cafeteria. They had brought books, magazines, etc. to read to

kill time and they spent most of it in a surgical waiting room that

was staffed by a volunteer and had a phone. I never saw that room

but I guess it was pretty nice and had coffee, phone, etc. Someone

in the OR called that room to tell family that the surgery had

begun. Then when the surgery was over and I was being sent to

recovery, the surgeon comes to the surgical waiting room and tells

family that " everything went fine " . Then when patient is ready to

leave the recovery room, the family is again told that the patient

was on the way to their room. Routines and accommodations may vary

from hospital to hospital.

I know it is natural to worry when someone is having surgery but hip

replacement surgery is quite routine these days. Is there some

reason that you are particularly worried about your husband's

surgery?

Guest guest

He has edema in his ankles and I'm worried about blood clots. Also the machine malfunctioned on Fri NOW we have to wait for new appt.treprice2000 <treprice2000@...> wrote: > My husband is getting total hip replacement tomorrow and I am very > worried. What will it be like for me while he's in surgury etc. > Please adviseAlthough I was the one who had the surgery, my family used the 3-4 hours that they spent waiting for me to get out of surgery and be taken to my room this way (so I am told): I'm told that they ate in the cafeteria. They had brought books, magazines, etc. to read to kill time and they spent most of it in a surgical waiting room that was staffed by a volunteer and had a phone. I never saw that room but I guess it was pretty nice and had coffee, phone, etc. Someone in the OR called that room to tell family that the surgery had begun. Then

when the surgery was over and I was being sent to recovery, the surgeon comes to the surgical waiting room and tells family that "everything went fine". Then when patient is ready to leave the recovery room, the family is again told that the patient was on the way to their room. Routines and accommodations may vary from hospital to hospital. I know it is natural to worry when someone is having surgery but hip replacement surgery is quite routine these days. Is there some reason that you are particularly worried about your husband's surgery?

Guest guest

Thanks for your upbeat message. Its nice to hear.MARGE <palybami@...> wrote:

Worried

Rudy20

I WOULD TELL YOU THE SAME AS I TOLD RUDYTUDY20.

HE WILL SOON BE BACK WITH YOU, CLOSER THAN EVER. WITH THE PAIN GONE, HE WILL HAVE ENERGY FOR YOU.

DO YOU PLAY GAMES TOGETHER? CARDS, MEXICAN TRAIN DOMINOES, SCRABBLE? OR DO YOU WATCH THE TV TOGETHER AND ROOT FOR THE HOME TEAM? I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MY FOLKS PLAY GAMES WITH ME MORE, BUT THEY ARE BUSY RUNNING THE HOUSE AND OUT CHECKING OUT GARAGE SALES AND PLANTING FLOWERS AND BRINGING PLANTS IN FOR THE WINTER.

MY SURGERY WAS OCTOBER 22, AND I AM UP AND ABOUT. I AM GLAD I WENT UP TO THE IN-HOSPITAL THERAPY FLOOR FOR A WEEK. IT WAS GREATLY BENEFICIAL. IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO KEEP DOING THE EXERCISES. I AM BACK IN THE POOL AT THE YMCA ALREADY. IT FEELS MARVELOUS TO HAVE THE FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT WITHOUT WEIGHTBEARING. KEEP BUILDING UP THE MUSCLES THAT WERE SO FULL OF INFLAMMATION THAT THEY COULD NOT WORK PROPERLY. I EXPECT TO BE HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS NEXT OCTOBER, WITH A NEW HIP AND TWO NEW KNEES! COME ON ---LET'S GO!

HUGS, MARGE MULDER

Guest guest

We are co-dependents. We are actually seeing a therapist for this, I am very worried for him and hug him and he knows I'm here for him.

Sincerely Nanciannainva <a.sargent@...> wrote:

I just had THR and my husband is the best support both mentally and helping me physically. I don't mean to sound condescending, but shouldn't you worry about his well-being rather than yours at this trying time for him ?Puzzled in VA.....> My husband is getting total hip replacement tomorrow and I am very > worried. What will it be like for me while he's in surgury etc. > Please advise

Guest guest

Dora,

That is very interesting your N22 is improving so after having difficulty

and having it for some time. Perhaps the pitch you are hearing is your

auditory nerve firing off and improving?

Worried

>

> Hi

> I believe that you said the sound goes away when you take your processor

off?If that is right then the sound you hear is something in the environment

or in your processor..I am sur that your audiologist will be able to help

you ..

> I do understand that you are worried though as I have been experiencing

something similar..but mine is tinitus.Every few days I hear a high pitched

sound that starts out soft and builds up to very loud..then gets soft again

and then builds up louder.Each time it stays loud for a shorter length of

time.It keeps this up fo about a day.Then it goes away for a few days and

starts up again.I finally contacted my audiologist as I want him to be aware

of it should something " funny " happen with my N22 again.He said we could try

to find the elctrode that might be causing it but I think i will just see

what happens...The funny thing is that the hearing with my N22 has improved

by leaps and bounds lately.

>

> Dora Weber

> Nucleus Volunteer Advocate

> dora_weber@...

>

> Bilateral

> N22-96

> N24C-01

> Cochlear Otosclerosis

>

>

>

Guest guest

Going from a sugar-laden diet to one that is low carb can be hard on

ANYONE, let alone someone on candida. The body is basically addicted

to the sugar to help keep blood sugar stable, but now your body has to

shift to using fat for fuel. This takes time, so just bear with it.

My symtoms got worse after starting the diet. In fact, around a month

or so into it I got sick (which wasn't normal), and after that I

started getting a rash on my face and skin was flaking off. Really

gross! But now that has cleared up and now I'm to the point where I am

better than when I started the diet WHILE using cortisone cream.

So when you combine the two above things, it can be quite miserable.

Just have patience, realize that you're actually healing, and stick

with it. Good luck! :)

Guest guest

Hi, it's Amber, right?

> As I've mentioned, I smell this chemical smell under my arms. Only

> when they're either really hot or actually sweating. I thought it

> was just there. No. It's everywhere. I was working in my kitchen

> painting tonight, and I rubbed my face with the back of my arm.

THAT > SMELL! Right there on my forearm. Ever have your nails

done? That> smell that is created when they rub the file block over

the nail, > like acetone, that's what I smell like. Sort of.

That smell is caused by candida toxins which are mainly alcohol.

> I'm on day three of the sugar crash diet. Today my symptoms have

> taken a wicked turn for the worse. I keep breaking out in sweats

for > no apparent reason. I'm exhausted despite sleep. I'm weak. I

have > pains in my joints, chest, head, arms, legs, face. The usual,

but worse. It's as if the candida is revolting against the couple

of > days I starved it...and is now in overdrive or something.

You are experiencing " die-off " symptoms. There's a new article in

the Files about Die-Off Symptoms you might find interesting.

> Oh, and I itch everywhere. God is that awful. No rash, just

ITCH. > Head to toe. I feel like I'm falling apart. My skin feels

tacky. > It's weird.

The itching is due to the liver working overtime and putting out

histamines. It's a healing mechanism but it, too, shall pass.

The best in health,

Bee

Guest guest

I think you're in ketosis, which isn't surprising if you're eating a really

low carb diet. Normally ketone bodies are excreted in breath, but I'll bet

there are some folks that it comes out EVERYWHERE (I know some people if they've

been drinking no matter how well they've bathed, etc., they reek of booze the

next morning, and it's coming through their skins).

I mean, as long as you're reasonably sure your blood sugars are good, it's

just par for the course ... I'm throwing in with Bee on this one, as you beat

back the yeast it's probably going to balance clear out.

Natural things you can do to help the odor, parsley, chlorophyll or

chlorella. Make sure you're drinking enough good water, enables your body to

detoxify,

I would think a sauna would be helpful ...

Guest guest

Wow, so sory to hear about his issues. There is a page on the site that list doctors. You might want to look at that. There are a few in the group that live in Ca. and they might be able to help out better. I hope you find what you need soon.

in Suffolk

Guest guest

On 6/13/2005 at 3:29:46 A.M. Central Standard Time you wrote:

he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him (but he is 70, so maybe there are no safe treatment options for him?).

You said earlier in this mail that your father is very active

and strong with no other health problems. I was 70 when I

first developed this disease. I had two botox, neither worked,

then since I have had two balloon dilatations. I would not

hesitate to have the surgery because of age. As a matter of

fact I am having surgery this Friday. Nothing related to my

achalasia, but surgery just the same. I will soon be 75. We

are living longer, healthier lives, so surgery on the aged is

not considered the risk it used to be. :)

I am sure you will be hearing from some of the people in

California with recommendations for doctors there.

We're glad you are posting again. Please remind us what

part of California you are in.

Maggie

Alabama

Guest guest

I should also add he has had this problem since he was a child. He regurgitates

a lot of the

food he can't keep down; it has always been this way. He's always been extremely

skinny, but

I think in the past 5 years he has lost even more weight. I'm paranoid that this

could be

something cancerous (reading all this material on websites is quite

frightenining). He doesn't

vomit blood, nor does he have any other health problems other than this

swallowing

problem. Thanks.

Guest guest

There are doctors experienced with achalasia in CA as well -- I highly recommend The Cleveland Clinic to anyone in the East or Midwest, but there are definitely top-notch doctors in CA when it comes to achalasia. I'll leave the specific names to someone else to recommend, though, as the only name I'm really familar with is Dr. Patti.

What part of CA are you in?

Debbi in Michigan

Hi, everyone!I've posted in this wonderful community before, but I haven't had time to really keep up regularly. But I hope now that I have some time I'll be able to follow more closely. :) I posted about my father who seems to have achalasia (he was never diagnosed officially, but I think one doctor (who was unfamiliar with achalasia) saw that my father has an unusual volcano shape to his esophagus. He is 70-years-old, but he's still very active, sharp, and strong. I attribute this to his life-long habit of drinking green tea ;)! Anyway, he's very skinny. He hasn't seen a doctor in eons, so I'd like to get him to see someone about this just to make sure there are no complications. I'm very paranoid about pneumonia and other complication that achalasia brings. But I know a lot of General Practice doctors might not know a lot about this problem. I understand The Ohio Clinic is probably the best place to go, but I don't think he would go that far (we are in CA) for a check-up; he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him (but he is 70, so maybe there are no safe treatment options for him?). So my plan is to try to get him to see a General Practice doctor to get a regular physical. Then go from there. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. Thank you!

Guest guest

If he is in California, have him consider Cedars-Sinai (Ippoliti/Fuller) in

Beverly Hills, UCLA, USC or UCSF (Ostroff and Patti).

Hope this helps.

Peggy

> Hi, everyone!

>

> I've posted in this wonderful community before, but I haven't had time to

really keep up

> regularly. But I hope now that I have some time I'll be able to follow more

closely. :) I posted

> about my father who seems to have achalasia (he was never diagnosed

officially, but I think

> one doctor (who was unfamiliar with achalasia) saw that my father has an

unusual volcano

> shape to his esophagus.

>

> He is 70-years-old, but he's still very active, sharp, and strong. I attribute

this

to his life-long

> habit of drinking green tea ;)! Anyway, he's very skinny. He hasn't seen a

doctor in eons, so

> I'd like to get him to see someone about this just to make sure there are no

complications.

> I'm very paranoid about pneumonia and other complication that achalasia

brings. But I know

> a lot of General Practice doctors might not know a lot about this problem. I

understand The

> Ohio Clinic is probably the best place to go, but I don't think he would go

that far (we are in

> CA) for a check-up; he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him

(but he is 70,

> so maybe there are no safe treatment options for him?).

>

> So my plan is to try to get him to see a General Practice doctor to get a

regular physical. Then

> go from there. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. Thank you!

Guest guest

I also am 70 I don't consider myself "OLD"

-- Re: Worried

On 6/13/2005 at 3:29:46 A.M. Central Standard Time you wrote:

he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him (but he is 70, so maybe there are no safe treatment options for him?).

You said earlier in this mail that your father is very active

and strong with no other health problems. I was 70 when I

first developed this disease. I had two botox, neither worked,

then since I have had two balloon dilatations. I would not

hesitate to have the surgery because of age. As a matter of

fact I am having surgery this Friday. Nothing related to my

achalasia, but surgery just the same. I will soon be 75. We

are living longer, healthier lives, so surgery on the aged is

not considered the risk it used to be. :)

I amAlabama

Guest guest

Hi, Maggie! I remember you! I hope your surgery goes well. Thank you so much for

your

kind words, everyone. We are in Sacramento, CA. I remember someone recommended a

Dr. in Sacramento, who I believe is at UC . Any other personal

recommendations greatly appreciated!

>

>

> he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him (but he is 70,

>

>

>

>

> You said earlier in this mail that your father is very active

> and strong with no other health problems. I was 70 when I

> first developed this disease. I had two botox, neither worked,

> then since I have had two balloon dilatations. I would not

> hesitate to have the surgery because of age. As a matter of

> fact I am having surgery this Friday. Nothing related to my

> achalasia, but surgery just the same. I will soon be 75. We

> are living longer, healthier lives, so surgery on the aged is

> not considered the risk it used to be. :)

>

> I am sure you will be hearing from some of the people in

> California with recommendations for doctors there.

>

> We're glad you are posting again. Please remind us what

> part of California you are in.

>

> Maggie

> Alabama

Guest guest

I had the myotomy and funduplication at age 69. I will be 75 in August and have had virtually no problems and no further treatment since my surgery. I am still playing golf twice a week and leading a very active life. If you have good health and the Doctor recommends surgery I don't think there is anything to fear. All the best to you both in your quest for answers.

, Vancouver BC Canada

-- Re: Worried

Hi, Maggie! I remember you! I hope your surgery goes well. Thank you so much for your

kind words, everyone. We are in Sacramento, CA. I remember someone recommended a

Dr. in Sacramento, who I believe is at UC . Any other personal

recommendations greatly appreciated!

>

>

> he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him (but he is 70,

>

>

>

>

> You said earlier in this mail that your father is very active

> and strong with no other health problems. I was 70 when I

> first developed this disease. I had two botox, neither worked,

> then since I have had two balloon dilatations. I would not

> hesitate to have the surgery because of age. As a matter of

> fact I am having surgery this Friday. Nothing related to my

> achalasia, but surgery just the same. I will soon be 75. We

> are living longer, healthier lives, so surgery on the aged is

> not considered the risk it used to be. :)

>

> I am sure you will be hearing from some of the people in

> California with recommendations for doctors there.

>

> We're glad you are posting again. Please remind us what

> part of California you are in.

>

> Maggie

> Alabama

Guest guest

Hi, Jess " jade-tessa" is having surgery on Wed. at UC ... dont know the situation there, there is also Sutter ... get on the internet, and email away!!

Carolyn, east of Sacto.... ipodgurl <eatsushi@...> wrote:

Hi, Maggie! I remember you! I hope your surgery goes well. Thank you so much for your kind words, everyone. We are in Sacramento, CA. I remember someone recommended a Dr. in Sacramento, who I believe is at UC . Any other personal recommendations greatly appreciated! > > > he'd probably go if there was treatment available for him (but he is 70, > so maybe there are no safe treatment options for him?). > > > > > You said earlier in this mail that your father is very active> and strong with no other health problems. I was 70 when I > first developed this disease. I had two botox, neither worked,> then since I have had two balloon dilatations. I

would not> hesitate to have the surgery because of age. As a matter of> fact I am having surgery this Friday. Nothing related to my> achalasia, but surgery just the same. I will soon be 75. We> are living longer, healthier lives, so surgery on the aged is> not considered the risk it used to be. :)> > I am sure you will be hearing from some of the people in> California with recommendations for doctors there. > > We're glad you are posting again. Please remind us what> part of California you are in.> > Maggie> Alabama