Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cure

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Don't think " completely independent " is necessarily true. I think my

independence is rather impaired. If I wasn't fortunate to have a husband that

carries a lot of the load (financially, emotionally etc), I don't know where I

would be. Hopefully not at home living with my aging parents!

Miranda

>

>  

>

>  

>

> I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

> Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

> it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totallyagree with Roxanna. 

> We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are. 

> But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

> is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

> had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

> blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on thisgroup have

> kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

> therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. 

> So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

> be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

> correct, language).

>  

>

>

>  

>  

>

>  

>

>  

>

>  

>

>  

>

> “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

> the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

> thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

> disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

> do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

> forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

> because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

> world, are the ones who do.â€Â Â -  Steve Jobs

>

>  

>

> “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

> the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

> differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

> disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

> can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

> human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

> see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

> can change the world, are the ones who do.â€Â   -  Steve Jobs

>

Guest guest

I wouldn't mind so much staying introverted and quirky if I could be relieved of

the sensory issues including food sensitivities. I think the bad outweighs the

good in our family - the tantrums my son has (related to sensory overload and

his rigid thinking) are extremely stressful to him and everyone around him

Miranda

> >

> > I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to

Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it

“in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally agree with Roxanna. We all

love our children and we all will say we love them as they are. But to say you

wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as

saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in the

blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on).

Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent years and

years on therapies, support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.

So, to say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice

as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct,

language).

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

You're probably right - I've been interested in seeing various points of view,

but it does start to sound like arguing. Sorry, but I posted a few more already

Miranda

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

> > Roxanna's comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

> > it " in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat " . I totallyagree with Roxanna.

> > We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are.

> > But to say you wouldn't want them cured of autismif that was possible

> > is just as silly as saying you wouldn't want yourchild cured if they

> > had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

> > blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on thisgroup have

> > kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

> > therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.

> > So, to sayyou wouldn't want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

> > be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

> > correct, language).

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > " Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

> > the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

> > thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

> > disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

> > do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

> > forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

> > because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

> > world, are the ones who do. " - Steve Jobs

> >

> >

> >

> > " Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

> > the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

> > differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

> > disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

> > can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

> > human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

> > see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

> > can change the world, are the ones who do. " - Steve Jobs

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

> " Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the

round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're

not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify

them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change

things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the

crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that

they can change the world, are the ones who do. " - Steve Jobs

>

Guest guest

i didnt even think of it that way, i hear ppl all the time say they dont want a cure just acceptance, babble about einstein, bach, davinci, etc and how much a cure would change everyone.  I never even considered the plight of the low functioning autistic child.  I guess b/c ppl tend to be selfish and think about themselves.  b/c my thought is always that those people must have happy hfa children or at the very least they have laid back ones b/c mine isnt either, mine can get physical, mine can have mood swings and mind can be impulsive, after severely long tantrums (or hitting, etc) she then settles down to beat herself up about what she did so she goes from uncontrollable and driving me to want to jump off the roof to very sad and upset with herself.  I would love a cure, I would settle on a partial cure, a medication that would help.  Id be happy with a kid who was just quirky

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> wrote:

It is total BS that only people with autism invented everything in the world. It's nice your kid is high functioning enough that you can be glad he has a disability. But I promise there are a lot of people with

more severe autism who are not able to speak up for themselves. Temple grandin makes a lot of money writing books, speaking and has a job doing what she loves. It's always nice to be someone who can do what

they like, get paid a good wage and live independently. I hardly find that to be a barometer for whether having autism is a wonderful thing, though.It's nice if you can discuss " fake me's " and all that with your kid. I

have a friend who has a kid who can't even use a communication device, let alone tell her how wonderful it is to wake up with poop his pants and have to be washed by other people. Well, I just assume he would

say how great this autism stuff is if he could talk because everyone so far seems to think it's a wonderful disability to have. I'll ask him next time I see him how great it is to be autistic but I suspect he'll

just be looking at the ground and stimming, oblivious to everything around him. last time, he actually said, " Hi! " to me (or towards me really) and I was impressed. I think he still has a way to go before

he can form the words, " Having autism has made me what I am today. " Hope he is working on that, though...maybe we can program it into his augmentative device? I'll ask his mom. RoxannaWhenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. Re: ( ) Cure

Yes my son is only 10, but  he has it hard already, still I would not want to cure him, and no I do not agree with the aforementioned comment about the comparison of Aspergers being close to cancer, or any other

deadly problem. People DIE from cancer my son is alive and well, he has a rough road, no friends, but he is smart, he is inventive, he is loved and he is who he is. I work with the intellectually and physically

disabled, I love them all for who they are, even the individuals who can turn on me and beat me to a pulp I love them, I understand them. I am so tired of people wanting a " fix " , god had a purpose to his design

in each of us, he didn't make a mistake, and BTW do you like you computers, the cool software you have installed on them, how about your ,light bulbs, DVR's, cell phones and art and music? If we all fit in

that box we wouldn't have any of that, if it were not for Aspergers you wouldn't have most of it. Have any of you listened to Temple Grandin? Her road was hard, and so was her mothers, but she likes who she is,

and does not want to be cured. I ask my son, my 10 year old if I could give you a pill to make you " normal " would you want it, and he said, no mom, I want friends, but I want them to like me for who I am, I don't

want them to like a fake me. I think that speaks volumes. If we are not accepting our kids for who they are, how can we ask the world to?

I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat”.  I totally agree with Roxanna. 

We all love our children and we all will say we love them as they are.  But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they

had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.  So, to

say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).    

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”   -  Steve Jobs “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”   -  Steve Jobs

-- -mommy to Emma, Becca, , , , and baby girl no name (yeah I know, nothing new, does ever pick a name in a timely manner?) July 2010

Guest guest

ok I am a little late on this heated discussion but I thought I would throw my hat in the ring too. I would do anything to cure my daughter! My daughter seems perfect but she is not. She has trouble with eye contact and engages toys better than people. She also can not eat anything but purreed baby food. She walks drunk and needs a special med to help her talk. She is dx autism and my husband is an apsie. We are know working on getting her re--dx for RETT syndrome. If you do'nt know look it up. It is horrible. They can stop walking, talking, and eating by mouth! We are hoping she has atypical rett which means she may not regress. Her head has not grwon in almost 2 years and she has all the other signs of rett! I would do anything to save her. Even on her best days when she seems

so "normal" I still want her to be without sin in perfect. I wish this for all of us though. We are all sinned we all have a defect. It may be less noticeable in others but we struggle with challenges and the bottom line is we all die eventually. I dream of a life where there is no pain no sorrow and no tears forever for all of us!CAthy

I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to

Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally agree with Roxanna.

We all love our children and we all will say we love them as they are.

But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible

is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they

had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness,

blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this group have

kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies,

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to

say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice

as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically

correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

can change the world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs

Guest guest

the other thing is pointed out in a roundabout way in the 2nd to last paragraph you wrote, if everyone is so accepting why is everyone spending so much time, money, etc treating the symptoms, why not just accept them?  if everyone did just accept them would we even need a forum to get together and compare notes and ask for advice?

but maybe i find it hard to believe all the geniuses in the world had autism or aspergers b/c i have an older dd who, except for being highly gifted maybe even a genius by certain iq score definitions, is otherwise nt.  i see her, her friends and kids in the gt program, they are all a bit quirky, they all have passions and they are all extremely intelligent and some are geniuses.  the way their thought processes and critical thinking skills work i see no reason why a person like that, a non autistic person, couldnt have invented any of those things.

i dont know how temple gardin does it personally.  i was dx adhd, ocd and depression as a teen and i know to this day i have sensory issues with some clothes and i know i had issues with textures of food as a kid (ok and maybe some now), basically all the main symptoms of a pdd, maybe just pdd-nos but still an asd, maybe i would have been diagnosed as such these days just has originally my dd got dx of not hfa but first adhd and bp.  i can honestly say i have learned to cope and have made it without therapies (except speech but i did talk and was understandable, just not " perfect " ) or medications.  but i would still want a cure for myself even, i hate having a limited wardrobe b/c if i wear something that will bother me all day (like buttons at the front of the waist) i will be grumpy, i hate feeling socially ackward before, during and after encounters as i worry about what i will say then just blurt out without thinking and then spend the day worrying about what i did do or say, i have learned to be extremely patient but that still doesnt mean i dont hate it when my fuse is short b/c i have too much going on.  or the fact my house never gets completely clean b/c of the way i get distracted and go from activity to activity, the way i am so dependant on calenders, lists, etc, the way i can obsess over a topic so much it makes people upset or makes me depressed.  the social aspects are the ones that bother me the most.  i have friends but have never had a best or group of best friends b/c i dont initiate and dont know what to do.  i would cure it without a 2nd thought

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> wrote:

Thank goodness I am not alone. I was reading posts, trying to catch up and I was ready to throw in the towel if I read another " I love having autism " posts, like they are all Temple Grandin's out there. I guess

part of my stress is having to actually LIVE with autism and it isn't this great and wondrous thing. I sometimes wonder if I live on an alternate planet or we didn't get into the " We want the autism that is

fun and exciting instead of the autism that really sucks life out of us " line when it was being passed out. that would just be my luck. lolWhat I want to know is why it's only the " good " traits of autism that

get noted in these discussions. And I even say " good " traits with sarcasm attached because it's only " good " if you make it work for you. And if you can't, then the world is out to get you by not being

" Accepting " of your " differences. " I mean, kids who can " stare at something for long periods of time " means these are the people who created computers and microwaves. huh? I don't get how one equals the

other. it's just taking a negative trait and trying to make it seem like a positive trait. Nobody is out there cheering for the kid with autism who is obsessively spinning for long periods of time. Don't we

love that ability to focus? And don't we credit those kids with creating something great?It takes both sides of the coin and people leave out the flip side. They credit autism/AS with the entire being of these kids/people as if

that is the end and beginning of who they are. Without autism, they would be this lifeless hanging puppet or worse (gasp) normal like the rest of us. lol. Well, there are a lot of people out here who are relatively normal and quite interesting, inventive, able to focus for

long periods of time, create wonderful life altering inventions, think...And peeling off the autism doesn't change who that person is unless you are crediting " who " someone is entirely to a disability

called Autism.Then there is a the subset of this one - where people say, " Well, I would not want to cure autism because I love my kid just the way he is. I would like to take away his tantrums, his inability to make friends,

his persevering, his ADHD..... " and on and on (fill in the blanks with your kid's autistic traits.) And to me, that's just saying the same thing - you'd cure autism.I don't ever hear people with other neurological issues creating a " I

AM MY DISABILITY " club. I don't hear people saying, for instance, " Don't teach him to read. He is dyslexic. Dyslexic people are really smart and great thinkers. If you teach him to read, you'll take away

who he is! If you teach him how to read, his imagination will disappear! It's wrong of the world not to accept him for who he is and wrong for them to force him to conform and learn to read! " OF course,

I don't really hang out in any dyslexia groups online. Maybe this club exists too. In which case, AUGH! lol. I have 2 kids with dyslexia and 2 with autism. We did ABA with the younger one who has HFA and I

credit that with helping him to BE high functioning. It's because we did not accept that autism would be who he was or define who he was and what he could do that he is where he is today. I don't give autism

credit for any of his good features and it has only been something that has prevented him from achieving to his potential all this time and made everything four times harder than it is for a typical person/kid.

So I hate it and I'd love to make it go away so he could take advantage of all the good qualities and abilities that he does have - HE has, not autism has.I do not yet understand why people want to credit a disability for the

inner being of who someone is. I was cringing with all this talk about asking kids if they would take a pill to " fix " who they are. I will not even go there because I have such a headache right now. But that

is so far from the point. RoxannaWhenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. Re: ( ) Cure Yes my son is only 10, but  he has it hard already, still I would not want to cure him, and no I do not agree with the aforementioned comment

about the comparison of Aspergers being close to cancer, or any other deadly problem. People DIE from cancer my son is alive and well, he has a rough road, no friends, but he is smart, he is inventive, he is loved

and he is who he is. I work with the intellectually and physically disabled, I love them all for who they are, even the individuals who can turn on me and beat me to a pulp I love them, I understand them. I am so tired of people wanting a " fix " , god had a purpose to his design

in each of us, he didn't make a mistake, and BTW do you like you computers, the cool software you have installed on them, how about your ,light bulbs, DVR's, cell phones and art and music? If we all fit in

that box we wouldn't have any of that, if it were not for Aspergers you wouldn't have most of it. Have any of you listened to Temple Grandin? Her road was hard, and so was her mothers, but she likes who she is,

and does not want to be cured. I ask my son, my 10 year old if I could give you a pill to make you " normal " would you want it, and he said, no mom, I want friends, but I want them to like me for who I am, I don't

want them to like a fake me. I think that speaks volumes. If we are not accepting our kids for who they are, how can we ask the world to?  I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat”.  I totally agree with Roxanna.  We all love our children and we all will say we love them as they are.  But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible

is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies,

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.  So, to say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”   -  Steve Jobs “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”   -  Steve Jobs

-- -mommy to Emma, Becca, , , , and baby girl no name (yeah I know, nothing new, does ever pick a name in a timely manner?) July 2010

Guest guest

The question i read was he you could cure as would you? I was also responding to

being called silly for my point me view. And helping the as adults on here that

said they don't want a cure! My so has not one real friend, if you knew what he

endured at school this year you would pass out! He turns on me in i second, and

i get to hear about star wars or military things every second i am around him,

or how about it takes me hours at the store with him because he has to

straighten the shelves so all me the labels face out. I do not focus on the bad,

if i did i would sink into self pity. I choose to look at it with a smile, i

love to watch him figure things out in a way i will never be able too. He can

build massive lego sculptures (all star wars) that grown ups can't. I also work

with individuals that have way worse disabilities than most people can even

imagine, i have helped those who can't lift a spoon eat, i have changed adult

briefs, and. I am sorry he it makes me a little gratefull that my son has as and

not birds, or Mr or that he can walk and talk. By the way teaching a kid with

dyslexia to read doesn't " cure " it, the just learn to live with it! My son is

also dyslexic, and has adhd, he has anxiety to tin point he has shingle out

breaks. I just said i am afraid a cure could change more than just his as.

That's not a risk i want to take.

Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> wrote:

>

>Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents

>whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are

>not an " AS only " group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely

>independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to

>do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and

>how one might think having AS was just a " different way of thinking. "

>However, that is not true at all.

>

>Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a

>menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum.

>Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying

>severity.

>

>Roxanna

>Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

>

>

> Re: ( ) Cure

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

>she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

>Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

>spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the

>issues that other lower spectrum children have.

>So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

>communicate or participate.

>

>

>

>

>Purrs & Kisses,

>Kristal of Digi Kitty

>The Kitty who loves Digi!

>Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

>

>

> 

> 

> 

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 

>

> 

>

>I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

>Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

>it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totallyagree with Roxanna. 

>We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are. 

>But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

>is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

>had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

>blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on thisgroup have

>kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

>therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. 

>So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

>be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

>correct, language).

> 

>

>

> 

> 

>

> 

>

> 

>

> 

>

> 

>

>“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

>the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

>thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

>disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

>do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

>forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

>because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

>world, are the ones who do.â€Â Â -  Steve Jobs

>

> 

>

>“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

>the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

>differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

>disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

>can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

>human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

>see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

>can change the world, are the ones who do.â€Â   -  Steve Jobs

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I can see it now, Roxanna – you and I at the front of the cure

line battling it out to see who gets it first.  LOL!!  My son is not as

severely affected as some Aspies I know but he is affected enough that I wonder

if he is ever going to learn the needed skills to be totally independent.  And,

while his IQ is genius level there is a huge disparity between IQ and performance.

He just finished a year of college – well, he went for a year though not real

successfully.  First semester he started out with 3 classes, dropped two, and

made a B in one – o.k., could be better but not bad.  Second semester he

switched to a total computer track (still at the community college and getting

college credits but only computer classes and in a program where he would get a

certificate).  Again, started with three classes and dropped one late in the

semester.  Continued to tell us he was doing well, didn’t need any help, yada,

yada, yada – well, grades came out and he made F’s in both classes.  When

talking to him about this we find out: the lab class he dropped (and admitted

he was flunking) – problem probably was he wasn’t attending class like he

should – he had the teacher for another class and evidently she frequently

dismissed that class by telling them that was “all for the day†or something to

that effect.  He took this to mean he didn’t need to go to his next class which

was the lab since she was the teacher of that class and she had told them they

were done for the day!!  He also missed his mid-terms for the other two classes

– we still don’t know why – and missed at least four days of classes (are not

allowed to miss more than 3 days of classes at this school).  He is now on

academic probation and probably will sit this next semester out.  Sigh.  I

really will have to slug it out with you at the front of the cure line…

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Roxanna

Sent: June 08, 2010 08:59 AM

Subject: Re: ( ) Cure

That is a great point, . I wonder how the division line on this

goes by age. And I would also bet the severity affects this kind of

subject a lot. So many people are being dx'd with this these days and

even self-dxing themselves. Anyone who is a bit quirky or can't make

friends gets a dx of AS. This is a " severe " disability though. So I

think people who deal with severe are the ones who would run out to

stand in the cure line. And then as you pointed out, little kids and

older kids are two different challenges entirely. Even people who

think it's not so bad when their kid is 6 yo are singing a different

tune after trying to navigate through puberty and watching their kid

deal with social issues that are twenty times harder as they get older.

Having seen both ends age wise and severity wise, maybe that's why I

am first in the cure line. lol. Heck, I will even push someone else

out of the way to get there. lol.

Roxanna

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Re: ( ) Cure

I wouldn't cure my Daughter. In my eyes I still dont see Aspergers

asAutism. And its prolly just my daughter. I would love to cure

theoutburts but her quirks are what makes her unique. I love the way

shesees the world, Yes she has challenges but who doesn't. I

dontbelieve its silly to say I wouldn't cure my daughter. I think it

variesto each persons own circumstance. I wouldn't cure her of

thinkingdifferently??

On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Elgamal wrote:

I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totallyagree with Roxanna.

We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are.

But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on thisgroup have

kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.

So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs

Guest guest

No, you are not alone Roxanna.  I love to read your posts

because you say exactly what I think/how I feel except I can’t say it as well

as you do!!  I agree autism and Aspergers do suck.  I just want to cry

sometimes – heck, I do cry sometimes – when I look at my loveable, smart,

funny, good hearted, “doesn’t have a mean bone in him†(my husband/his step-dad’s

words) and wonder when, oh when, are we ever going to get him to a state of

full independence.  I honestly don’t know if we will ever get there though I have

to believe we will or I would just sit down and start crying and never stop.

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Roxanna

Sent: June 08, 2010 03:55 PM

Thank goodness I am not alone. I was reading

posts, trying to catch up

and I was ready to throw in the towel if I read another " I love having

autism " posts, like they are all Temple Grandin's out there. I guess

part of my stress is having to actually LIVE with autism and it isn't

this great and wondrous thing. I sometimes wonder if I live on an

alternate planet or we didn't get into the " We want the autism that is

fun and exciting instead of the autism that really sucks life out of

us " line when it was being passed out. that would just be my luck. lol

What I want to know is why it's only the " good " traits of autism that

get noted in these discussions. And I even say " good " traits with

sarcasm attached because it's only " good " if you make it work for

you.

And if you can't, then the world is out to get you by not being

" Accepting " of your " differences. " I mean, kids who can

" stare at

something for long periods of time " means these are the people who

created computers and microwaves. huh? I don't get how one equals the

other. it's just taking a negative trait and trying to make it seem

like a positive trait. Nobody is out there cheering for the kid with

autism who is obsessively spinning for long periods of time. Don't we

love that ability to focus? And don't we credit those kids with

creating something great?

It takes both sides of the coin and people leave out the flip side.

They credit autism/AS with the entire being of these kids/people as if

that is the end and beginning of who they are. Without autism, they

would be this lifeless hanging puppet or worse (gasp) normal like the

rest of us. lol. Well, there are a lot of people out here who are

relatively normal and quite interesting, inventive, able to focus for

long periods of time, create wonderful life altering inventions,

think...And peeling off the autism doesn't change who that person is

unless you are crediting " who " someone is entirely to a disability

called Autism.

Then there is a the subset of this one - where people say, " Well, I

would not want to cure autism because I love my kid just the way he is.

I would like to take away his tantrums, his inability to make friends,

his persevering, his ADHD..... " and on and on (fill in the blanks with

your kid's autistic traits.) And to me, that's just saying the same

thing - you'd cure autism.

I don't ever hear people with other neurological issues creating a " I

AM MY DISABILITY " club. I don't hear people saying, for instance,

" Don't teach him to read. He is dyslexic. Dyslexic people are really

smart and great thinkers. If you teach him to read, you'll take away

who he is! If you teach him how to read, his imagination will

disappear! It's wrong of the world not to accept him for who he is and

wrong for them to force him to conform and learn to read! " OF course,

I don't really hang out in any dyslexia groups online. Maybe this club

exists too. In which case, AUGH! lol. I have 2 kids with dyslexia

and 2 with autism. We did ABA with the younger one who has HFA and I

credit that with helping him to BE high functioning. It's because we

did not accept that autism would be who he was or define who he was and

what he could do that he is where he is today. I don't give autism

credit for any of his good features and it has only been something that

has prevented him from achieving to his potential all this time and

made everything four times harder than it is for a typical person/kid.

So I hate it and I'd love to make it go away so he could take advantage

of all the good qualities and abilities that he does have - HE has, not

autism has.

I do not yet understand why people want to credit a disability for the

inner being of who someone is. I was cringing with all this talk about

asking kids if they would take a pill to " fix " who they are. I will

not even go there because I have such a headache right now. But that

is so far from the point.

Roxanna

Yes my son is only 10, but he has it hard already, still I would not

want to cure him, and no I do not agree with the aforementioned comment

about the comparison of Aspergers being close to cancer, or any other

deadly problem. People DIE from cancer my son is alive and well, he has

a rough road, no friends, but he is smart, he is inventive, he is loved

and he is who he is. I work with the intellectually and physically

disabled, I love them all for who they are, even the individuals who

can turn on me and beat me to a pulp I love them, I understand them. I

am so tired of people wanting a " fix " , god had a purpose to his

design

in each of us, he didn't make a mistake, and BTW do you like you

computers, the cool software you have installed on them, how about your

,light bulbs, DVR's, cell phones and art and music? If we all fit in

that box we wouldn't have any of that, if it were not for Aspergers you

wouldn't have most of it. Have any of you listened to Temple Grandin?

Her road was hard, and so was her mothers, but she likes who she is,

and does not want to be cured. I ask my son, my 10 year old if I could

give you a pill to make you " normal " would you want it, and he said,

no

mom, I want friends, but I want them to like me for who I am, I don't

want them to like a fake me. I think that speaks volumes. If we are not

accepting our kids for who they are, how can we ask the world to?

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally agree with

Roxanna.

blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this group have

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to

correct, language).

Guest guest

Oh, Roxanna – I thought of something I wanted to ask you.  I know

we have had this discussion before but tell me again the difference between Aspergers

and HFA?  Is it the delay in language that makes the designation HFA?

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Roxanna

Sent: June 08, 2010 04:12 PM

Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents

whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are

not an " AS only " group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely

independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to

do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and

how one might think having AS was just a " different way of thinking. "

However, that is not true at all.

Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a

menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum.

Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying

severity.

Roxanna

Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the

issues that other lower spectrum children have.

So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

communicate or participate.

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

The Kitty who loves Digi!

Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totallyagree with Roxanna.

blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on thisgroup have

correct, language).

world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs

Guest guest

OMG. I ALMOST FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR LAUGHING AT THE LAST PART OF YOUR POST. I wish I could say it like you, sister! You Rock, Roxanna!

"Over-optimism is waiting for you ship to come in when you haven't sent one out."

From: Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 3:07:45 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Cure

It is total BS that only people with autism invented everything in the world. It's nice your kid is high functioning enough that you can be glad he has a disability. But I promise there are a lot of people with more severe autism who are not able to speak up for themselves. Temple grandin makes a lot of money writing books, speaking and has a job doing what she loves. It's always nice to be someone who can do what they like, get paid a good wage and live independently. I hardly find that to be a barometer for whether having autism is a wonderful thing, though.It's nice if you can discuss "fake me's" and all that with your kid. I have a friend who has a kid who can't even use a communication device, let alone tell her how wonderful it is to wake up with poop his pants and have to be washed by other people. Well, I just assume he would say how great this autism stuff is if he could talk because

everyone so far seems to think it's a wonderful disability to have. I'll ask him next time I see him how great it is to be autistic but I suspect he'll just be looking at the ground and stimming, oblivious to everything around him. last time, he actually said, "Hi!" to me (or towards me really) and I was impressed. I think he still has a way to go before he can form the words, "Having autism has made me what I am today." Hope he is working on that, though...maybe we can program it into his augmentative device? I'll ask his mom.RoxannaWhenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. Re: ( ) CureYes my son is only 10, but he has it hard already, still I would not want to cure him, and no I do not agree with the aforementioned comment about the comparison of Aspergers being close to cancer, or any other deadly problem. People DIE from cancer my son is alive and well, he has a rough road, no friends, but he is smart, he is inventive, he is loved and he is who he is. I work with the intellectually and physically disabled, I love them all for who they are, even the individuals who can turn on me and beat me to a pulp I love them, I understand them. I am so tired of people wanting a "fix", god had a purpose to his design in each of us, he didn't make a mistake, and BTW do you like you computers, the cool software you have installed on

them, how about your ,light bulbs, DVR's, cell phones and art and music? If we all fit in that box we wouldn't have any of that, if it were not for Aspergers you wouldn't have most of it. Have any of you listened to Temple Grandin? Her road was hard, and so was her mothers, but she likes who she is, and does not want to be cured. I ask my son, my 10 year old if I could give you a pill to make you "normal" would you want it, and he said, no mom, I want friends, but I want them to like me for who I am, I don't want them to like a fake me. I think that speaks volumes. If we are not accepting our kids for who they are, how can we ask the world to? I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally agree with Roxanna. We all love our children and we all will say we love them as they are. But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am

trying to be nice as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language). “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs

Guest guest

I tend to see it your way, . Maybe their kids are so high

functioning that it really is less of a disability and more of a

" quirky kid " thing. Maybe then they don't see the need for a cure and

maybe I wouldn't either if it were like that for us. I love my kids

and they have their unique quirks too that are cute. But I don't

consider that part of autism. It's just part of their individual

personality. And the problems we deal with are not small. It seems

more like we, as a family, are always in some state of stress. Nothing

is ever simple.

Roxanna

Yes my son is only 10, but  he has it hard already, still I would not

want to cure him, and no I do not agree with the aforementioned comment

about the comparison of Aspergers being close to cancer, or any other

deadly problem. People DIE from cancer my son is alive and well, he has

a rough road, no friends, but he is smart, he is inventive, he is loved

and he is who he is. I work with the intellectually and physically

disabled, I love them all for who they are, even the individuals who

can turn on me and beat me to a pulp I love them, I understand them. I

am so tired of people wanting a " fix " , god had a purpose to his design

in each of us, he didn't make a mistake, and BTW do you like you

computers, the cool software you have installed on them, how about your

,light bulbs, DVR's, cell phones and art and music? If we all fit in

that box we wouldn't have any of that, if it were not for Aspergers you

wouldn't have most of it. Have any of you listened to Temple Grandin?

Her road was hard, and so was her mothers, but she likes who she is,

and does not want to be cured. I ask my son, my 10 year old if I could

give you a pill to make you " normal " would you want it, and he said, no

mom, I want friends, but I want them to like me for who I am, I don't

want them to like a fake me. I think that speaks volumes. If we are not

accepting our kids for who they are, how can we ask the world to?

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totally agree with Roxanna. 

blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on this group have

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.  So, to

correct, language).

can change the world, are the ones who do.â€Â   -  Steve Jobs

--

-mommy to Emma, Becca, ,

, , and baby girl no name (yeah I know, nothing new, does

ever pick a name in a timely manner?) July 2010

Guest guest

Wow, Rett is not a good dx to get. I hope that she does not have that!

Roxanna

ok I am a little late on this heated discussion but I thought I would

throw my hat in the ring too.  I would do anything to cure my

daughter!  My daughter seems perfect but she is not.  She has trouble

with eye contact and engages toys better than people.  She also can not

eat anything but purreed baby food.  She walks drunk and needs a

special med to help her talk.  She is dx autism and my husband is an

apsie.  We are know working on getting her re--dx for RETT syndrome. 

If you do'nt know look it up.  It is horrible.  They can stop walking,

talking, and eating by mouth!  We are hoping she has atypical rett

which means she may not regress.  Her head has not grwon in almost 2

years and she has all the other signs of rett!  I would do anything to

save her.  Even on her best days when she seems so " normal "   I still

want her to be without sin in perfect.  I wish this for all of us

though.  We are all sinned we all have a defect.  It may be less

noticeable in others but we struggle with challenges and the bottom

line is we all die eventually.  I dream of a life where there is no

pain no sorrow and no tears forever for all of us!

CAthy

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totally agree with Roxanna. 

blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on this group have

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.  So, to

correct, language).

Guest guest

Yes the main diagnostic criteria differace is speech delay and both

are spectrum so you can have a hfa who is higher functioning than an

aspie or vice versa. However hfa is not an official dx, it is autism

or not. Then from there there are many quirks that can vary between

the 2 but at the same time, especially with high functioning type,

there is a lot of crossover too. Ie when ppl finally started raising

questions they all were thinking aspie and she has some aspie quirks.

But this wasnt until she was 8 that the word was being mentioned, 3

yrs after she graduated from speech therapy so that part wasnt obvious

but having had the delay she was dx hfa not aspie

On 6/8/10, Elgamal <cindyelgamal@...> wrote:

> Oh, Roxanna – I thought of something I wanted to ask you. I know we have

> had this discussion before but tell me again the difference between

> Aspergers and HFA? Is it the delay in language that makes the designation

> HFA?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> From:

> [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Roxanna

> Sent: June 08, 2010 04:12 PM

>

> Subject: Re: ( ) Cure

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents

> whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are

> not an " AS only " group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely

> independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to

> do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and

> how one might think having AS was just a " different way of thinking. "

> However, that is not true at all.

>

> Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a

> menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum.

> Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying

> severity.

>

> Roxanna

> Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

>

>

> Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

> she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

> Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

> spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the

> issues that other lower spectrum children have.

> So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

> communicate or participate.

>

> Purrs & Kisses,

> Kristal of Digi Kitty

> The Kitty who loves Digi!

> Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

> Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

> it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat”. I totallyagree with Roxanna.

> We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are.

> But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

> is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

> had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

> blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on thisgroup have

> kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

> therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle.

> So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

> be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

> correct, language).

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

> the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

> thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

> disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

> do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

> forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

> because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

> world, are the ones who do.” - Steve Jobs

>

>

>

> “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

> the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

> differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

> disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

> can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

> human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

> see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

> can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Steve Jobs

>

>

>

>

--

Sent from my mobile device

-mommy to Emma, Becca, ,

, , and baby girl no name (yeah I know, nothing new, does

ever pick a name in a timely manner?) July 2010

Guest guest

I'm not sure what you mean by " focusing on the bad " in regard to cure.

It's just stating the facts of what is autism. Saying it in a nicer

way might make you feel better. It doesn't bother me to say it is what

it is. We definitely focus on what we can do with the situation we are

given. But if we were given a chance to have a cure, we'd be fighting

to the front of that line. lol. i don't think I get the

connection where wanting a cure is focusing on the bad. As for people

who have " way worse disabilities than this " , maybe you've not met

people with autism? There are some who can't lift a spoon or change

themselves or use the restroom. So I don't know if we are on the same

page in the conversation. it's pretty bad stuff. And frankly, there

will always be someone who has it worse no matter what condition you

are talking about. I won't make decisions based on the fact that it

could be worse or someone else has it worse.

I don't agree with you regarding dyslexia either. You can call it

having all the symptoms remediated if that sounds better but to me,

it's the same thing. You should NOT learn to live with dyslexia.

Especially with what we know about dyslexia today! 2 of our ds's have

dyslexia - one is a compensated dyslexic and will never be " cured " .

The other - we are kicking butt as we work on all related areas of

delay. I am very positive and hopeful that he will no longer need

special services in school to learn and will become an independent

student.

I think that's sad that you are afraid that a cure would cause more

problems. I guess that is why I am not afraid of saying I want a cure

for autism. I don't feel it will make anything worse at all.

Roxanna

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

>she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

>Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

>spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have

the

>issues that other lower spectrum children have.

>So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

>communicate or participate.

>

>

>

>

>Purrs & Kisses,

>Kristal of Digi Kitty

>The Kitty who loves Digi!

>Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

>

>

> 

> 

> 

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 

>

> 

>

>I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

>Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

>it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totallyagree with Roxanna. 

>We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are. 

>But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

>is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

>had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

>blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on thisgroup have

>kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

>therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. 

>So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

>be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

>correct, language).

> 

>

>

> 

> 

>

> 

>

> 

>

> 

>

> 

>

>“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

>the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

>thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

>disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

>do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

>forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

>because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

>world, are the ones who do.â€Â Â -  Steve Jobs

>

> 

>

>“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

>the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

>differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

>disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

>can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

>human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

>see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

>can change the world, are the ones who do.â€Â   -  Steve Jobs

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

My almost 19yo son has AS. He's never had any sort of verbal delay, and he has a *very* high IQ. But he's not going to be leading an independent life as an adult for a long time--if ever. He needs to be our ward (and is happy to be so) because he can't handle major decisions for himself. He can't find a doctor or an apartment, navigate college, be responsible for remembering to do important things, or do many other things that a typical person of his age can do if they absolutely have to. He probably won't ever be able to drive because he processes events slowly and startles rather than reacting appropriately when something unexpected happens. He has earned two professional certificates, but is on the waiting list with the Department of Rehabilitative Services because he's sufficiently handicapped to qualify for job placement and job coaching services--without which he would be unable to get or retain a job. (He has no sense of business-appropriate behavior and doesn't self-edit the sort of comments that will get you fired, so he's going to need an employer who is *very* understanding.) Something like 70% of adults with AS are under or unemployed because of similar problems. He's never had a friend despite the fact that he would dearly love at least one. He probably won't ever marry and have a family of his own. We're *hoping* that, with appropriate supports, he'll eventually be able to leave home, but that's years and years in the future if ever. I'm also saddened by parents whose children have been diagnosed at 5 or 6 yo, who think that their child has "mild AS." If a person has mild AS--the kind that means they're going to be quirky adults and absent-minded professors--they're often not diagnosed until they're in junior high and their social deficits have become a problem. (I have another son who has AS who's in that category.) If AS is apparent at the age of 5 or 6, it's probably not going to be a "mild case." It's all about not keeping pace developmentally with chronological peers. None of the 5yos have great social skills, so a mild case isn't even apparent at that age. However, as typical children become more socially competent, kids with AS lag farther and farther behind. If you can already see that lag at a very early age it's a pretty good indication that you're not dealing with a mild case of AS. As far as the need for a cure goes, my feeling is that if, as an adult, you have AS and you can take care of yourself, you probably don't need a cure--although you might want one anyway because it would simplify life a great deal. If you don't need friends or a family of your own, then you're not going to be bothered by their absence and you probably don't need a cure. If, however, you want a family, your spouse is going to have to do the heavy lifting in the relationship if it's going to succeed. My husband has AS, so I have some experience with this. If you have AS, and it means you can't hold a job and have to depend on your family, social services, or the kindness of strangers as an adult rather than taking care of yourself, then you're being selfish and deluding yourself if you think you're simply "different."SueRe: CurePosted by: "Roxanna" MadIdeas@... roxannaneelyTue Jun 8, 2010 2:12 pm (PDT)Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are not an "AS only" group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and how one might think having AS was just a "different way of thinking." However, that is not true at all.Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum. Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying severity.RoxannaWhenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. Re: ( ) CureDo people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group. Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the issues that other lower spectrum children have.So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't communicate or participate.Purrs & Kisses,Kristal of Digi KittyThe Kitty who loves Digi!Designer for the VDBC "More" Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!  Â

Guest guest

Well said, good points, Sue!

>

> My almost 19yo son has AS. He's never had any sort of verbal delay, and he

has a *very* high IQ. But he's not going to be leading an independent life as

an adult for a long time--if ever. He needs to be our ward (and is happy to be

so) because he can't handle major decisions for himself. He can't find a doctor

or an apartment, navigate college, be responsible for remembering to do

important

Guest guest

You gave a very good description of the range of issues AS

kids face.

Pam

>

important things, or do many other things that a typical person of his age can

do if they absolutely have to. He probably won't ever be able to drive because

he processes events slowly and startles rather than reacting appropriately when

something unexpected happens. He has earned two professional certificates, but

is on the waiting list with the Department of Rehabilitative Services because

he's sufficiently handicapped to qualify for job placement and job coaching

services--without which he would be unable to get or retain a job. (He has no

sense of business-appropriate behavior and doesn't self-edit the sort of

comments that will get you fired, so he's going to need an employer who is

*very* understanding.) Something like 70% of adults with AS are under or

unemployed because of similar problems. He's never had a friend despite the

fact that he would dearly love at least one. He probably won't ever marry and

have a family of his own. We're *hoping* that, with appropriate supports, he'll

eventually be able to leave home, but that's years and years in the future if

ever.

>

> I'm also saddened by parents whose children have been diagnosed at 5 or 6 yo,

who think that their child has " mild AS. " If a person has mild AS--the kind

that means they're going to be quirky adults and absent-minded

professors--they're often not diagnosed until they're in junior high and their

social deficits have become a problem. (I have another son who has AS who's in

that category.) If AS is apparent at the age of 5 or 6, it's probably not going

to be a " mild case. " It's all about not keeping pace developmentally with

chronological peers. None of the 5yos have great social skills, so a mild case

isn't even apparent at that age. However, as typical children become more

socially competent, kids with AS lag farther and farther behind. If you can

already see that lag at a very early age it's a pretty good indication that

you're not dealing with a mild case of AS.

>

> As far as the need for a cure goes, my feeling is that if, as an adult, you

have AS and you can take care of yourself, you probably don't need a

cure--although you might want one anyway because it would simplify life a great

deal. If you don't need friends or a family of your own, then you're not going

to be bothered by their absence and you probably don't need a cure. If,

however, you want a family, your spouse is going to have to do the heavy lifting

in the relationship if it's going to succeed. My husband has AS, so I have some

experience with this. If you have AS, and it means you can't hold a job and

have to depend on your family, social services, or the kindness of strangers as

an adult rather than taking care of yourself, then you're being selfish and

deluding yourself if you think you're simply " different. "

>

> Sue

>

> > Re: Cure

> > Posted by: " Roxanna " MadIdeas@... roxannaneely

> > Tue Jun 8, 2010 2:12 pm (PDT)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents

> > whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are

> > not an " AS only " group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely

> > independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to

> > do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and

> > how one might think having AS was just a " different way of thinking. "

> > However, that is not true at all.

> >

> > Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a

> > menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum.

> > Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying

> > severity.

> >

> > Roxanna

> > Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

> >

> > Re: ( ) Cure

> >

> > Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

> > she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

> > Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

> > spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the

> > issues that other lower spectrum children have.

> > So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

> > communicate or participate.

> >

> > Purrs & Kisses,

> > Kristal of Digi Kitty

> > The Kitty who loves Digi!

> > Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

> >

> > Â

> > Â

> > Â

>

Guest guest

All this talk about cure. I have only been following casually the messages posted. But, all I can think when I see all these messages is that I do want a cure. This is a debilitating problem. Can we just cure the negatives and keep the positives? I'm all for that!

( ) Re: Cure

Well said, good points, Sue! >> My almost 19yo son has AS. He's never had any sort of verbal delay, and he has a *very* high IQ. But he's not going to be leading an independent life as an adult for a long time--if ever. He needs to be our ward (and is happy to be so) because he can't handle major decisions for himself. He can't find a doctor or an apartment, navigate college, be responsible for remembering to do important

Guest guest

This i can agree with! I wish it were that simple! I watch my poor adhd

mediation alter so much me what i love about him, i hate giving him that pill!

Debra Balke <dlbalke@...> wrote:

>All this talk about cure. I have only been following casually the messages

posted. But, all I can think when I see all these messages is that I do want a

cure. This is a debilitating problem. Can we just cure the negatives and keep

the positives? I'm all for that!

> ( ) Re: Cure

>

>

>

> Well said, good points, Sue!

>

>

>

>

> >

> > My almost 19yo son has AS. He's never had any sort of verbal delay, and he

has a *very* high IQ. But he's not going to be leading an independent life as an

adult for a long time--if ever. He needs to be our ward (and is happy to be so)

because he can't handle major decisions for himself. He can't find a doctor or

an apartment, navigate college, be responsible for remembering to do important

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I worry exactly the same for my son with major issues and he's only 7. I am

milder than he is in presentation, but still had/have major difficulties in my

life. I think the bad outweighs the good.

Miranda

>

important things, or do many other things that a typical person of his age can

do if they absolutely have to. He probably won't ever be able to drive because

he processes events slowly and startles rather than reacting appropriately when

something unexpected happens. He has earned two professional certificates, but

is on the waiting list with the Department of Rehabilitative Services because

he's sufficiently handicapped to qualify for job placement and job coaching

services--without which he would be unable to get or retain a job. (He has no

sense of business-appropriate behavior and doesn't self-edit the sort of

comments that will get you fired, so he's going to need an employer who is

*very* understanding.) Something like 70% of adults with AS are under or

unemployed because of similar problems. He's never had a friend despite the

fact that he would dearly love at least one. He probably won't ever marry and

have a family of his own. We're *hoping* that, with appropriate supports, he'll

eventually be able to leave home, but that's years and years in the future if

ever.

>

> I'm also saddened by parents whose children have been diagnosed at 5 or 6 yo,

who think that their child has " mild AS. " If a person has mild AS--the kind

that means they're going to be quirky adults and absent-minded

professors--they're often not diagnosed until they're in junior high and their

social deficits have become a problem. (I have another son who has AS who's in

that category.) If AS is apparent at the age of 5 or 6, it's probably not going

to be a " mild case. " It's all about not keeping pace developmentally with

chronological peers. None of the 5yos have great social skills, so a mild case

isn't even apparent at that age. However, as typical children become more

socially competent, kids with AS lag farther and farther behind. If you can

already see that lag at a very early age it's a pretty good indication that

you're not dealing with a mild case of AS.

>

> As far as the need for a cure goes, my feeling is that if, as an adult, you

have AS and you can take care of yourself, you probably don't need a

cure--although you might want one anyway because it would simplify life a great

deal. If you don't need friends or a family of your own, then you're not going

to be bothered by their absence and you probably don't need a cure. If,

however, you want a family, your spouse is going to have to do the heavy lifting

in the relationship if it's going to succeed. My husband has AS, so I have some

experience with this. If you have AS, and it means you can't hold a job and

have to depend on your family, social services, or the kindness of strangers as

an adult rather than taking care of yourself, then you're being selfish and

deluding yourself if you think you're simply " different. "

>

> Sue

>

> > Re: Cure

> > Posted by: " Roxanna " MadIdeas@... roxannaneely

> > Tue Jun 8, 2010 2:12 pm (PDT)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents

> > whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are

> > not an " AS only " group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely

> > independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to

> > do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and

> > how one might think having AS was just a " different way of thinking. "

> > However, that is not true at all.

> >

> > Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a

> > menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum.

> > Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying

> > severity.

> >

> > Roxanna

> > Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

> >

> > Re: ( ) Cure

> >

> > Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

> > she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

> > Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

> > spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the

> > issues that other lower spectrum children have.

> > So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

> > communicate or participate.

> >

> > Purrs & Kisses,

> > Kristal of Digi Kitty

> > The Kitty who loves Digi!

> > Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

> >

> > Â

> > Â

> > Â

>

Guest guest

In regards to your comment once again stress aspergers, not low to to on

function Autism. I hate said this more than once, i work with many Autism

clients. Just like my poor adhd his mediation does not equal cure, its a came

aid, which i hate, and he schools were more willing to do their jobs i wouldn't

give it to him. Like i said my opinion you all have the right to feel however

you want, i just got personally attacked for my view, that's why i went on the

offense. Roxanna, you were reading back and a couple me up were told we or our

ideas are silly, it ridiculous that those me up do not agree with a few me you

get laughed at for our opinions, he this is the kind of close mined group i am

apart of i want none it!

Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> wrote:

>

>I'm not sure what you mean by " focusing on the bad " in regard to cure.

>It's just stating the facts of what is autism. Saying it in a nicer

>way might make you feel better. It doesn't bother me to say it is what

>it is. We definitely focus on what we can do with the situation we are

>given. But if we were given a chance to have a cure, we'd be fighting

> to the front of that line. lol. i don't think I get the

>connection where wanting a cure is focusing on the bad. As for people

>who have " way worse disabilities than this " , maybe you've not met

>people with autism? There are some who can't lift a spoon or change

>themselves or use the restroom. So I don't know if we are on the same

>page in the conversation. it's pretty bad stuff. And frankly, there

>will always be someone who has it worse no matter what condition you

>are talking about. I won't make decisions based on the fact that it

>could be worse or someone else has it worse.

>

>I don't agree with you regarding dyslexia either. You can call it

>having all the symptoms remediated if that sounds better but to me,

>it's the same thing. You should NOT learn to live with dyslexia.

>Especially with what we know about dyslexia today! 2 of our ds's have

>dyslexia - one is a compensated dyslexic and will never be " cured " .

>The other - we are kicking butt as we work on all related areas of

>delay. I am very positive and hopeful that he will no longer need

>special services in school to learn and will become an independent

>student.

>

>I think that's sad that you are afraid that a cure would cause more

>problems. I guess that is why I am not afraid of saying I want a cure

>for autism. I don't feel it will make anything worse at all.

>

>Roxanna

>Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

>

>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>Do people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think

>>she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group.

>>Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the

>>spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have

>the

>>issues that other lower spectrum children have.

>>So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't

>>communicate or participate.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>Purrs & Kisses,

>>Kristal of Digi Kitty

>>The Kitty who loves Digi!

>>Designer for the VDBC " More " Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

>>

>>

>> 

>> 

>> 

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> 

>>

>> 

>>

>>I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

>>Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

>>it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totallyagree with Roxanna. 

>>We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are. 

>>But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

>>is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

>>had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

>>blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on thisgroup have

>>kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

>>therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. 

>>So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

>>be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

>>correct, language).

>> 

>>

>>

>> 

>> 

>>

>> 

>>

>> 

>>

>> 

>>

>> 

>>

>>“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers,

>>the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see

>>thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

>>disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't

>>do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race

>>forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius,

>>because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the

>>world, are the ones who do.â€Â Â -  Steve Jobs

>>

>> 

>>

>>“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers,

>>the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

>>differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

>>disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you

>>can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the

>>human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we

>>see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they

>>can change the world, are the ones who do.â€Â   -  Steve Jobs

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Mostly that is the big difference - the language delay. These kids are

dx'd with autism and somehow, their development takes a good turn at

some point, language comes together and they end up functioning as well

as many kids with AS. It's not a real dx label but I think it should

be because we sort of hang in between two worlds otherwise. My ds's

were dx'd with autism by age 3, did not speak and socialize, did not

play, had the whole autistic list of issues. But at some point along

the way, things clicked into gear for each of them and their language

came in, albeit for both, it is not great. It's good. And now we have

the same kinds of problems as parents whose kids have AS have to deal

with with language - mostly social skills/pragmatic issues.

We used to think (other parents on the list and me when discussing

this) that it also was apparent in the kinds of test scores our kids

got. For instance, kids with AS often get high scores in language

skills (verbal) vs. lower scores in performance scores. My ds's both

would score high in performance but low in language based scores. I

read someone somewhere say that was not an accurate way to

differentiate. But really, I thought it helped explain a lot of the

differences. And the kids I have worked with locally as an advocate

have always fit that profile.

I once read an article on Tony Attwood's site about a study done to

examine the trajectory of this - how some kids with autism will

suddenly make a turn in development and catch up to the kids who have

AS and thereafter, they will tend to follow a similar trajectory in

development. I should find that again and post it in the files

section. But I don't know if he still has it there or not.

I think mostly what it means to me is two things: First, I empathize a

lot more with the " autism " side of these kinds of discussions because I

never knew my kids would end up being high functioning in the

beginning. I did not have the same experience as many of the AS

parents here where their child develops fairly typically but there is

something " quirky " going on and they are not sure what. We knew

something major was wrong in the beginning. And second, I have had to

often advocate for teachers to understand that their language skills

were delayed because they were often put in groups or thought of as

having AS just because they are high functioning and not a typically

" lost in their own world " person with autism.

Roxanna

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totallyagree with Roxanna. 

blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on thisgroup have

correct, language).

world, are the ones who do.â€Â Â -  Steve Jobs

Guest guest

Sue, That was so correct!!!

I've watched several young HFA adults who do have jobs (with a job coach) and you described them to a T. Some work in fast food places washing dishes & pots, cleaning the tables & bathrooms and mopping the floors. this one guy - He can drive but he can't answer the phone and take an order. Even thou he wants to so bad and he tries but messes up every order. his boss and job coach both told him he can't never answer the phone. how sad he was. he see's others can do it without any problems and gets the order right. Even helps the customers with their own order. this young man can't. he doesn't know how to approach his boss for another position in his job nor does he know how to apply for a different job. so he stays there doing the job he learned. he can only do one assignment at a time. he knows what he learned and that's it - he's

comfortable. He lives with both parents. When he was younger his parents thought things would be so much better for him when he's an adult. he also has a high IQ and he can drive. how hard can a job be..... They never expected this for their son. another young man can't drive nor does he want to. he lives in a group home because he can't pay bills and needs reminders to do laundry, wash himself and getting to his job and home. He can't understand how to take the bus & put the correct money in. He doesn't pay attention to his stop. He can't ride the bus... He needs to do the same routine every day and if its changed he needs one on one help with his job coach. all of these young men (except this last one) want more. They see how simple others can do their job without any help and know just what to do. They are HFA yet put in

the same group as others that have more needs than them. When the job coach comes in with the boss to check on them they are all in that same group and the HFA's know the difference between their group and the other typical workers. they know the typical workers don't have a job coach and are expected to do more. they know they are different and know enough to want to be like their typical co-workers.

The autism is holding them back. You describe these young adults to the T. I have to tell you, their are these two young adults that live in a group home. Both can't drive or hold a job. they are married. They do their laundry together in a laundry matt. The person that runs the group home drives the group to the laundry matt and shopping. this couple needs help with the shopping but they can do their laundry on their own with a few concerns. When they put a $20.00 bill in the coin machine. They only took a few quarters to put into the washing machine and left the rest of the change in the coin machine. (I didn't know this at that time) When the next person came in she put her money in the coin machine not knowing their change was still in there. (neither did I) that caused a problem and this couple didn't know how to handle it. (It wasn't until then that I

realized what happened). because the couple yelled - that's my money!!! They tried to explain but the lady only understood when she saw all that change...At First, that lady was arguing that she just put $5.00 in the machine. That's my money she said - get away!!!!! it was a good thing that woman just counted out her $5.00 in change and gave the rest back to that couple. How difficult was that! I agree, without the autism life would be that much different for them.

you explained your post so well and I know these job coaches would agree.

Best luck to you and your son

Rose

From: Comtois <suetois@...> Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 8:03:37 PMSubject: ( ) Re: Cure

My almost 19yo son has AS. He's never had any sort of verbal delay, and he has a *very* high IQ. But he's not going to be leading an independent life as an adult for a long time--if ever. He needs to be our ward (and is happy to be so) because he can't handle major decisions for himself. He can't find a doctor or an apartment, navigate college, be responsible for remembering to do important things, or do many other things that a typical person of his age can do if they absolutely have to. He probably won't ever be able to drive because he processes events slowly and startles rather than reacting appropriately when something unexpected happens. He has earned two professional certificates, but is on the waiting list with the Department of Rehabilitative Services because he's sufficiently handicapped to qualify for job placement and job coaching services--without which he would be unable to get or retain a job.

(He has no sense of business-appropriat e behavior and doesn't self-edit the sort of comments that will get you fired, so he's going to need an employer who is *very* understanding. ) Something like 70% of adults with AS are under or unemployed because of similar problems. He's never had a friend despite the fact that he would dearly love at least one. He probably won't ever marry and have a family of his own. We're *hoping* that, with appropriate supports, he'll eventually be able to leave home, but that's years and years in the future if ever.

I'm also saddened by parents whose children have been diagnosed at 5 or 6 yo, who think that their child has "mild AS." If a person has mild AS--the kind that means they're going to be quirky adults and absent-minded professors-- they're often not diagnosed until they're in junior high and their social deficits have become a problem. (I have another son who has AS who's in that category.) If AS is apparent at the age of 5 or 6, it's probably not going to be a "mild case." It's all about not keeping pace developmentally with chronological peers. None of the 5yos have great social skills, so a mild case isn't even apparent at that age. However, as typical children become more socially competent, kids with AS lag farther and farther behind. If you can already see that lag at a very early age it's a pretty good indication that you're not dealing with a mild case of AS.

As far as the need for a cure goes, my feeling is that if, as an adult, you have AS and you can take care of yourself, you probably don't need a cure--although you might want one anyway because it would simplify life a great deal. If you don't need friends or a family of your own, then you're not going to be bothered by their absence and you probably don't need a cure. If, however, you want a family, your spouse is going to have to do the heavy lifting in the relationship if it's going to succeed. My husband has AS, so I have some experience with this. If you have AS, and it means you can't hold a job and have to depend on your family, social services, or the kindness of strangers as an adult rather than taking care of yourself, then you're being selfish and deluding yourself if you think you're simply "different."

Sue

Re: Cure

Posted by: "Roxanna" MadIdeasaol (DOT) com roxannaneely

Tue Jun 8, 2010 2:12 pm (PDT)

Well, if that is true then she is wrong. This is a group for parents whose kids have AS and HFA. (My two ds's have HFA and not AS) We are not an "AS only" group. Also, AS people are not guaranteed completely independent lives as adults at all either. If they were all going to do fine as adults, then I can see how one wouldn't be that worried and how one might think having AS was just a "different way of thinking." However, that is not true at all.Also, autism is a spectrum disorder but that does not mean there is a menu of problems that only certain people have within the spectrum. Rather, it means they all have the same core problems with varying severity.RoxannaWhenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. Re: ( ) CureDo people who can't even talk or communicate have aspergers? I think she is referring to aspergers only--as this is an aspergers group. Asperger children are even above high functioning autism on the spectrum. They are completely independent as adults and do not have the issues that other lower spectrum children have.So I think she is referring to Aspergers--not the children who can't communicate or participate.Purrs &

Kisses,Kristal of Digi KittyThe Kitty who loves Digi!Designer for the VDBC "More" Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!  Â

Guest guest

Great post, Sue! I like how you explained the " mild AS " part as well.

i have always noted how many people say that their kid has " mild AS "

and I venture that almost 90% of people who come to this group say that

very thing which I find really curious! I have often thought people

say that their kid is " mild " AS because they think of AS as being mild

in relation to autism? But I don't know if that's a good explanation

as they seem to think it's mild in relation all people with AS.

Anyway, your point is well taken and I agree. It also goes with what

was said earlier about people whose kids are younger vs. people who

have teens or young adult kids with AS/HFA and how we view having AS

differently. It would be interesting to track the changes in parent

perception along the way as well. That would make an interesting

study!

Roxanna

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty