RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cure

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I saw this word and I'm sure this has been a topic before.

Is there such a thing? If there were a 'cure' would I want it for my son?

My son was diagnosed with AS in kindergarten. My first thought wasn't

to cure him, it was 'So that's why.'. He was born this way. That I'm

sure of. No vaccine or crappy diet (which he is guilty of) or any

environmental conditions or anything else made him Autistic. He wasn't

normal one day then gone the next. He has always been this way. I

never once thought of 'curing' him. AS is who he is. If I take that

away from him who will he be? He is an extraordinary young man. If he

didn't have AS would he be just ordinary? Oh I know there will be many

things that will be easier, but I have a 19 year old son who is

'normal' and there were many things that weren't easy with him, just

different.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Tammy:)

Guest guest

Hello Tammy, I feel a little different. Aspergers/autism is not "what" my son is. Autism/aspergers is a neurological disorder {title}, that makes learning harder for my son. It's a disorder that makes it harder for him to socialize with other children his own age. It makes it harder for people to understand his needs. Him being so very literal makes it harder for him to understand our language. all those doctor appointments, therapy & social skill classes take away from his play time. I don't think if there was a pill to cure autism it would change my son's personality or the person who he is. I just think it would make life a lot easier for him. Just like you, I love my son just as he is, more than life itself. but curing autism would make his life better. This is just my opinion I wanted to share. Others might have another thought. I also think by us taking our

children to therapy and doctors is like trying to find a cure. But when this question was asked before. I asked my son if there were a pill that can cure aspergers, would you want it. and he said no. there is nothing wrong with me having aspergers. Albert Einstein had aspergers and he was really smart, and I'm really good at lots of things too. I do like what you wrote and it give me another way of looking at autism/aspergers. *smile* RoseTammy <binny63tjf@...> wrote: I saw

this word and I'm sure this has been a topic before. Is there such a thing? If there were a 'cure' would I want it for my son? My son was diagnosed with AS in kindergarten. My first thought wasn'tto cure him, it was 'So that's why.'. He was born this way. That I'msure of. No vaccine or crappy diet (which he is guilty of) or anyenvironmental conditions or anything else made him Autistic. He wasn'tnormal one day then gone the next. He has always been this way. Inever once thought of 'curing' him. AS is who he is. If I take thataway from him who will he be? He is an extraordinary young man. If hedidn't have AS would he be just ordinary? Oh I know there will be manythings that will be easier, but I have a 19 year old son who is'normal' and there were many things that weren't easy with him, justdifferent. Does anyone else feel the same way? Tammy:)

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Games.

Guest guest

I agree that I would have grabed at a cure when I was told that my 15 month old son had autistic tendecies. K.B. had no life to him. He would just sit around and not get into anything or just wonder around the room still not interested in any thing going on around him. I just thought that he was the best angle ever, after raising 3 children already. Then my babysitter informed me that my son would not let her touch him and he refused to let her feed him. Angie had started watching KB when he was 11 months old and had to always remember that he was in the house in his playpen because he refused to come out (he was content in the playpen) She was afraid of how I would react to her if she told me that something was wrong with my youngest son and so she waited for me to notice that he did not respond to people and things approtialy. Took me to figure it out when he was 15 months and not talking or attempting to talk he had started to bang his head on everything and he refused to let family members near him. As soon as IRC said Autistic tendiecies I went out and got books on Autism and started learning as much as possible then started researching on how to get rid of each tendiecy. You have to understand, I did not relize that KB's eyes were dead. Until afterwards when we brought him back to us. Looking at pictures then and now you can see a major differnce in his eyes.

I refused to let him withdraw in himself and BOY did I ever get his unhappy opionion about that! But now at 3 yrs of age he smiles, he plays and he is so loving that I am beside my self with joy. He was offically dx with mild to moderate Autism at 2 yrs and 7 months of age. We are still working with him and if at times he withdraws from us we make him come back. My KB has such a wonderful personality that it is so much fun to interact with him. He is 3 yrs old this month and still progressing.

The down side of not knowing that something is wrong with your child and not getting the help early enough is that Austin at 8 dx AS is not happy, angry, wants everything his way, verbally abusive to family and sometimes physical. He can not do self care without help this is not who he is but part of his disability and I know he would be a much happier person if I had caught him early enough and worked with him as I had with KB. I can say this because I have been working with him this summer and he has shown us a side of him I did not know existed. Yes, I would want a cure for both of my children.

Re: ( ) Cure

Nope, I would grab the cure with both hands. Autism does not define who my kids are. Autism is a disorder and I do not give it credit for anything good or wonderful about my kids. They are wonderful, smart and extraordinary on their own. Without autism, they'd be wonderful, smart and extraordinary but with better skills and the ability to lead a full and independent life. With autism, that is questionable.

I don't get why people credit their child's anything with having AS - as if having a disorder like autism would make them better for having it. People always do this! And this subject comes up constantly on the list. But autism is not a good thing. I think perhaps people with HF kids - AS kids really, are those who think along the line that AS is somehow a gift that causes their child to "be who they are." Spend more time with severely autistic people and you will quickly lose that thought. Well, it worked on me anyway. My kids are also HFA and not AS. We had many years of struggle because of severe language delays alone. I never knew if they would improve at all. There was a never a guarantee there. So it was a horrifying experience, IMO. When my oldest was dx'd with autism, they said "He may always be like this" and at the time, he couldn't talk and sat around banging his head and screaming all day. I never forgot that. Every inch he gained along the way are credit to his own internal strength in fighting against the autism. I would have loved to have a cure to have made this much easier for my kids and for all kids who suffer with autism. That way, they could all shine and show us the wonderful kids they are once autism does not prevent them from shining fully.

Other people disagree, I know. But this is my own personal take on this subject.

Roxanna

Autism Happens

( ) Cure

I saw this word and I'm sure this has been a topic before.

Is there such a thing? If there were a 'cure' would I want it for my son?

My son was diagnosed with AS in kindergarten. My first thought wasn't

to cure him, it was 'So that's why.'. He was born this way. That I'm

sure of. No vaccine or crappy diet (which he is guilty of) or any

environmental conditions or anything else made him Autistic. He wasn't

normal one day then gone the next. He has always been this way. I

never once thought of 'curing' him. AS is who he is. If I take that

away from him who will he be? He is an extraordinary young man. If he

didn't have AS would he be just ordinary? Oh I know there will be many

things that will be easier, but I have a 19 year old son who is

'normal' and there were many things that weren't easy with him, just

different.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Tammy:)

Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail!

Guest guest

We have depression at this end too. It is really tough. Just when you think things might be ok after all, depression shows up and knocks them back down. Or at least, that is what happened here (early teens). Finally, he is climbing out of that. But ain't nothin' easy!

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) Cure

I saw this word and I'm sure this has been a topic before. Is there such a thing? If there were a 'cure' would I want it for my son? My son was diagnosed with AS in kindergarten. My first thought wasn'tto cure him, it was 'So that's why.'. He was born this way. That I'msure of. No vaccine or crappy diet (which he is guilty of) or anyenvironmental conditions or anything else made him Autistic. He wasn'tnormal one day then gone the next. He has always been this way. Inever once thought of 'curing' him. AS is who he is. If I take thataway from him who will he be? He is an extraordinary young man. If hedidn't have AS would he be just ordinary? Oh I know there will be manythings that will be easier, but I have a 19 year old son who is'normal' and there were many things that weren't easy with him, justdifferent. Does anyone else feel the same way? Tammy:)

Guest guest

I have to tell you that I just laughed and laughed, and laughed and laughed when I read this original posting last night; my husband thought I was 'insane' (perhaps!!LOL).....but "We're hoping to get a handle on the depression some time before global warming sets the seas to boiling" just did it for me; that is just the most awesome, hilarious sentence to me! How did you ever think of that, Liz! I just thought it was great!! And, since I got such a kick out of it, thought I should tell ya! That HAS to be on some poster somewhere OR SOMETHING!!!! That is just great!!! Depression stinks........I agree; our 13 year old has everything known to man, I think.....he's had or has too many diagnosis, and depression is ONE of them

.....we deal best we can but this is about YOU...just LOVED LOVED LOVED the global warming boiling seas!! Have a great day. Ruthie

( ) Cure

I saw this word and I'm sure this has been a topic before. Is there such a thing? If there were a 'cure' would I want it for my son? My son was diagnosed with AS in kindergarten. My first thought wasn'tto cure him, it was 'So that's why.'. He was born this way. That I'msure of. No vaccine or crappy diet (which he is guilty of) or anyenvironmental conditions or anything else made him Autistic. He wasn'tnormal one day then gone the next. He has always been this way. Inever once thought of 'curing' him. AS is who he is. If I take thataway from him who will he be? He is an extraordinary young man. If hedidn't have AS would he be just ordinary? Oh I know there will be manythings that will be easier, but I have a 19 year old son who is'normal' and there were many things that weren't easy with him, justdifferent. Does anyone else feel the same way? Tammy:)

Guest guest

I do!

You said it perfectly!

- C

( ) Cure

Guest guest

I was also going to reply. And I want to stress that I know my son is an individual and his condition is unique to any other child's; so, I can respect the feelings of those who want a cure. But, for me, I can say, honest to God, that I genuinely LOVE everything about my son and his personality. Other than my son, nobody knows better than me the special challenges that he has had to face, thus far. But, we have worked very hard to provide him with tools to help him cope with his differences. And, I wouldn't change a hair on his head. He is a smart, funny, handsome, good-hearted, and HAPPY little boy. When out and about, I know there are quirks about him that make others uneasy. They don't really understand. And I know he's beginning to realize he is different too. But, I want both of my children to understand that different is NOT bad. Different

is not defective. Not long ago, had another of his panic attacks and he was worried about what would happen if mama and daddy died. "I'm not a man yet. I don't know how to cook. And I don't know how

to drive." And I tried to reassure him that Mama and Daddy would not die anytime soon and before then, we would teach him how to drive and how to cook. He would be a man before he needed to worry about any of that. But, he had another concern that was harder to address. "But, mama, I'll be so lonely." I'm more bothered by the intolerance of others for differences (of ALL kinds) than I am in any difference I find in anyone I meet. I'm very into promoting Autism Awareness. For me, it's about making sure that my son isn't lonely - that there is a world of people out there that can understand and accept his differences, and maybe even love him for them. I know it may sound naive, but while we're on the subject of wanting the improbable, I'd rather have a "fix" for the world than my beautiful boy. Rather than trying to make "fit" in the world; I'd rather the world be fit for him. (That being said, if I could have both and alleviate any suffering in my child's life - ever? Bring it on.) From: Elgamal <cindyelgamal@...>To:

Sent: Thu, June 3, 2010 6:35:17 PMSubject: ( ) Cure

I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to

respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she

would go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally

agree with Roxanna. We all love our children and we all will say we love

them as they are. But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism

if that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your

child cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,

deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this group

have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support,

medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say you wouldn’t

want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think of much

more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

Guest guest

I wouldn't cure my Daughter. In my eyes I still dont see Aspergers as Autism. And its prolly just my daughter. I would love to cure the outburts but her quirks are what makes her unique. I love the way she sees the world, Yes she has challenges but who doesn't. I dont believe its silly to say I wouldn't cure my daughter. I think it varies to each persons own circumstance. I wouldn't cure her of thinking differently?? On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Elgamal wrote:

would go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat”. I totally

have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support,

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Steve Jobs

Guest guest

Having mild Asperger's myself, I like a lot of things like my uniqueness and

creativity. I don't like having struggled with depression and anxiety and being

confused how employment was so difficult for me despite being highly qualified.

It all makes sense now with my wee boy's diagnosis. I would love for his

screaming tantrums to go away - at least we have figured out they are because he

is easily frustrated and made worse by food additives. But I love the way he

thinks. But then it breaks my heart how he gets bullied and struggles to have

even a few friends. I am hoping we will be able to help him cope in this world

and find things that suit him.

Miranda

>

> >

> > I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna's

comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it " in a heartbeat,

half a heartbeat " . I totally agree with Roxanna. We all love our children and

we all will say we love them as they are. But to say you wouldn't want them

cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn't

want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes,

cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this

group have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies,

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say you

wouldn't want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think

of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

> " Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the

round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're

not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify

them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change

things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the

crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that

they can change the world, are the ones who do. " - Steve Jobs

>

Guest guest

I hear you there. I've lost a lot of my idealism from the hard knocks of life,

and I know my boy tantrums because reality doesn't fit his ideals (eg the world

is not fair etc). If only there was more tolerance of difference, valuing

unique talents and not trying to force everyone into the same mold (ie

institutions such as school).

Miranda

> for them. I know it may sound naive, but while we're on the subject of

wanting the improbable, I'd rather have a " fix " for the world than my beautiful

boy. >

>

>

Guest guest

– You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

If I remember correctly your daughter is 8 years old – I would bet money

that if we were to have this conversation again in 10 years, maybe 4 or 5 years,

your view will have changed. You will then understand why many of us say

we would go for a cure for our children in “half a heartbeat”.

My 20 year old son would be just as wonderful and unique if he did not have

Aspergers and life would not be nearly as hard and challenging for him.

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Byrne

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:54 PM

Subject: Re: ( ) Cure

I wouldn't cure my Daughter. In my eyes I still dont see Aspergers as

Autism. And its prolly just my daughter. I would love to cure the

outburts but her quirks are what makes her unique. I love the way she

sees the world, Yes she has challenges but who doesn't. I dont

believe its silly to say I wouldn't cure my daughter. I think it varies

to each persons own circumstance. I wouldn't cure her of thinking

differently??

On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Elgamal wrote:

deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say

you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I

can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the

troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with

them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them

because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some

may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy

enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

- Steve Jobs

Guest guest

I doubt it, but your completely entitled to your opinion. We've had a VERY hard road with our daughter. Violent outbursts etc etc. I still wouldn't want a cure for her. I see great improvements in her ability to socialize. Adults love her kids dont get her, I teach her to not care what others think of her and be proud of who God created her to be. I guess I go with more of the Temple Grandin view. Its not something to be offended over. Its just different. On Jun 3, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Elgamal wrote:

– You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

If I remember correctly your daughter is 8 years old – I would bet money

that if we were to have this conversation again in 10 years, maybe 4 or 5 years,

your view will have changed. You will then understand why many of us say

we would go for a cure for our children in “half a heartbeat”.

My 20 year old son would be just as wonderful and unique if he did not have

Aspergers and life would not be nearly as hard and challenging for him.

Behalf Of Byrne

differently??

deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this

support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say

you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I

can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the

troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things

differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with

them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them

because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some

may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy

enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

- Steve Jobs

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Steve Jobs

Guest guest

, I love how you said that "fix for the world" I was trying to put that sentiment into words but could not for the life of me make it sound readable LOL :-D On Jun 3, 2010, at 5:35 PM, Dollar wrote:

I was also going to reply. And I want to stress that I know my son is an individual and his condition is unique to any other child's; so, I can respect the feelings of those who want a cure. But, for me, I can say, honest to God, that I genuinely LOVE everything about my son and his personality. Other than my son, nobody knows better than me the special challenges that he has had to face, thus far. But, we have worked very hard to provide him with tools to help him cope with his differences. And, I wouldn't change a hair on his head. He is a smart, funny, handsome, good-hearted, and HAPPY little boy. When out and about, I know there are quirks about him that make others uneasy. They don't really understand. And I know he's beginning to realize he is different too. But, I want both of my children to understand that different is NOT bad. Different

is not defective. Not long ago, had another of his panic attacks and he was worried about what would happen if mama and daddy died. "I'm not a man yet. I don't know how to cook. And I don't know how

to drive." And I tried to reassure him that Mama and Daddy would not die anytime soon and before then, we would teach him how to drive and how to cook. He would be a man before he needed to worry about any of that. But, he had another concern that was harder to address. "But, mama, I'll be so lonely." I'm more bothered by the intolerance of others for differences (of ALL kinds) than I am in any difference I find in anyone I meet. I'm very into promoting Autism Awareness. For me, it's about making sure that my son isn't lonely - that there is a world of people out there that can understand and accept his differences, and maybe even love him for them. I know it may sound naive, but while we're on the subject of wanting the improbable, I'd rather have a "fix" for the world than my beautiful boy. Rather than trying to make "fit" in the world; I'd rather the world be fit for him. (That being said, if I could have both and alleviate any suffering in my child's life - ever? Bring it on.) From: Elgamal <cindyelgamalsbcglobal (DOT) net>To:

Sent: Thu, June 3, 2010 6:35:17 PMSubject: ( ) Cure

Guest guest

I agree with you, . My son will be 14 in one month and I would take the Aspergers away in "half a heartbeat." The core of him - funny, smart, great heart, mindful, keeps trying - would still be there. He'd just have friends who call our house because they want to hang out with him. He'd prefer it that way, too.Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: " Elgamal" <cindyelgamal@...>Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:52:28 -0500< >Subject: RE: ( ) Cure – You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If I remember correctly your daughter is 8 years old – I would bet moneythat if we were to have this conversation again in 10 years, maybe 4 or 5 years,your view will have changed. You will then understand why many of us saywe would go for a cure for our children in “half a heartbeat”. My 20 year old son would be just as wonderful and unique if he did not haveAspergers and life would not be nearly as hard and challenging for him. From: [mailto: ] OnBehalf Of ByrneSent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:54 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Cure I wouldn't cure my Daughter. In my eyes I still dont see Aspergers asAutism. And its prolly just my daughter. I would love to cure theoutburts but her quirks are what makes her unique. I love the way shesees the world, Yes she has challenges but who doesn't. I dontbelieve its silly to say I wouldn't cure my daughter. I think it variesto each persons own circumstance. I wouldn't cure her of thinkingdifferently?? On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Elgamal wrote: I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat”. I totallyagree with Roxanna. We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are. But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on thisgroup have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language). “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, thetroublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see thingsdifferently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree withthem, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore thembecause they change things... they push the human race forward, and while somemay see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazyenough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Steve Jobs

Guest guest

exactly!!! To quote: "Autism is not something I have. It is integral to who I am. Eliminate the autism, and you eliminate me. When you say you want a cure, you are saying I should be put to death. Think about it." - Parrish S. Knight

From: Byrne <kabob@...> Sent: Fri, June 4, 2010 12:12:45 AMSubject: Re: ( ) Cure

I doubt it, but your completely entitled to your opinion. We've had a VERY hard road with our daughter. Violent outbursts etc etc. I still wouldn't want a cure for her. I see great improvements in her ability to socialize. Adults love her kids dont get her, I teach her to not care what others think of her and be proud of who God created her to be. I guess I go with more of the Temple Grandin view. Its not something to be offended over. Its just different.

On Jun 3, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Elgamal wrote:

– You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If I remember correctly your daughter is 8 years old – I would bet money that if we were to have this conversation again in 10 years, maybe 4 or 5 years, your view will have changed. You will then understand why many of us say we would go for a cure for our children in “half a heartbeatâ€. My 20 year old son would be just as wonderful and unique if he did not have Aspergers and life would not be nearly as hard and challenging for him.

From: [mailto:AspergersSu pport@group s.com] On Behalf Of ByrneSent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:54 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Cure

I wouldn't cure my Daughter. In my eyes I still dont see Aspergers as Autism. And its prolly just my daughter. I would love to cure the outburts but her quirks are what makes her unique. I love the way she sees the world, Yes she has challenges but who doesn't. I dont believe its silly to say I wouldn't cure my daughter. I think it varies to each persons own circumstance. I wouldn't cure her of thinking differently? ?

I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally agree with Roxanna. We all love our children and we all will say we love them as they are. But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.†- Steve Jobs

Guest guest

I don't see why anyone needs to agree with anyone else. This isn't a survey, is it?

Let's just help each other instead of trying to bully or intimidate anyone to our way of thinking, please.

There isn't a cure, so it really doesn't matter right now. When there is, then we can take a vote.

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

The Kitty who loves Digi!

Designer for the VDBC "More" Team - you can see my designs HERE!!!

I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€. I totally agree with Roxanna. We all love our children and we all will say we love them as they are. But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and on). Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say you wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think of much more appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

Guest guest

Maybe there will be if we keep advocating. Think of how many years it took disabled citizens, black citizens, and others to be heard and accepted. It is working. Look how different black citizens are treated today compared to 60 years ago.

There is hope for acceptance--it just takes a long time.

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

From: miranda.flemming <miranda.flemming@...>Subject: Re: ( ) Cure Date: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 11:46 PM

I hear you there. I've lost a lot of my idealism from the hard knocks of life, and I know my boy tantrums because reality doesn't fit his ideals (eg the world is not fair etc). If only there was more tolerance of difference, valuing unique talents and not trying to force everyone into the same mold (ie institutions such as school). Miranda> for them. I know it may sound naive, but while we're on the subject of wanting the improbable, I'd rather have a "fix" for the world than my beautiful boy. > > >

Guest guest

Just reread my post - nothing I said was "bullying" or "intimidating". I'm on this Listserv b/c I want to hear different opinions. If I don't agree or agree with someone and I feel strongly about it, I say something. That's how I roll. I've been on here for a few years now and I'm not changing how I respond to posts to make you happy. Sorry.

"Over-optimism is waiting for you ship to come in when you haven't sent one out."

From: K <kristalstamper@...> Sent: Fri, June 4, 2010 8:39:13 AMSubject: Re: ( ) Cure

I don't see why anyone needs to agree with anyone else. This isn't a survey, is it?

Let's just help each other instead of trying to bully or intimidate anyone to our way of thinking, please.

There isn't a cure, so it really doesn't matter right now. When there is, then we can take a vote.

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

Guest guest

I agree with you--I love hearing opinions too--I just worry that judgements against others would make them want to leave the group--I don't want that. This group is awesome! If we want people to tolerate and show our children tolerance then I think it will help to show it as adults too. If I dont' understand something, I totally ask--and try to figure it out too.

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

Guest guest

I wouldn't want to take away my child's quirkyness, but if I could help them

sleep better, eat better, tolerate people better, I would! I couldn't even take

my two eldest children to my two cousins' weddings this past month due to their

AS and SPD. It would be nice if they could eventually attend a wedding let

alone have one of their own! It would also be nice if they could eat out

without it having to be the same restaraunt serving the same thing. That might

sound trivial, but what I wouldn't give for my children to even try tacos let

alone veggies! Or just be able to make a friend, one friend. Have a playdate

without the friend hating my son or daughter by the time it is over. Sure, I

love the quirkyness, the starwars obsessions, the geography wiz, math genius.

But if I could just help them both past the hard stuff, I sure would! Not even

to mention my youngest who is just now being evaluated for more classic autism,

what I wouldn't give to have him say a few words right now.

>

> I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going to respond to Roxanna's

> comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go for it " in a

> heartbeat, half a heartbeat " . I totally agree with Roxanna. We all love

> our children and we all will say we love them as they are. But to say you

> wouldn't want them cured of autism if that was possible is just as silly as

> saying you wouldn't want your child cured if they had __________ (fill in

> the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the list could go on and

> on). Many of us on this group have kids who are older and we have spent

> years and years on therapies, support, medications, and continue to see our

> kids struggle. So, to say you wouldn't want your child cured is silly (I am

> trying to be nice as I can think of much more appropriate, though less

> politically correct, language).

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I agree with what Temple Grandin said in her book " The Way I See It " . In there,

there is an interview by Tony Atwood, the " Autism authority " . He asked Temple if

she thought a cure is possible or necessary. She thinks with what they are doing

with DNA engineering, a cure in the future is possible. She said she would

really like to see the very pervasive and disabling parts of Autism be cured. As

far as the " good " parts, that which make engineers and doctors and researchers

good at what they do, she said she wouldn't want to have cured. She said social

people are always busy socializing. If not for the (not social, somewhat AS

types), we'd never have large complex buildings, the computer systems, etc.

Guest guest

Yes my son is only 10, but he has it hard already, still I would not want to cure him, and no I do not agree with the aforementioned comment about the comparison of Aspergers being close to cancer, or any other deadly problem. People DIE from cancer my son is alive and well, he has a rough road, no friends, but he is smart, he is inventive, he is loved and he is who he is. I work with the intellectually and physically disabled, I love them all for who they are, even the individuals who can turn on me and beat me to a pulp I love them, I understand them. I am so tired of people wanting a "fix", god had a purpose to his design in each of us, he didn't make a mistake, and BTW do you like you computers, the cool software you have installed on them, how about your ,light bulbs, DVR's, cell phones and art and music? If we all fit in that box we wouldn't have

any of that, if it were not for Aspergers you wouldn't have most of it. Have any of you listened to Temple Grandin? Her road was hard, and so was her mothers, but she likes who she is, and does not want to be cured. I ask my son, my 10 year old if I could give you a pill to make you "normal" would you want it, and he said, no mom, I want friends, but I want them to like me for who I am, I don't want them to like a fake me. I think that speaks volumes. If we are not accepting our kids for who they are, how can we ask the world to?

Guest guest

It's funny that you said that--I asked my son yesterday--if you could change yourself would you? He said, no (looked at me like I was crazy--he has GREAT self esteem--haha) but then he added well, I wouldn't mind being a little more muscular (GEESH).

Purrs & Kisses,

Kristal of Digi Kitty

Guest guest

Exactly, . My son would still be warm, loving, funny,

smart, etc. if you took the Aspergers away. The Aspergers is what makes life

and all that goes with it – college, friends, independent living skills,

organization, and on and on – so very difficult.

Behalf Of smacalli@...

Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 12:18 AM

I agree with you, . My son will be 14 in one month and I would take the

Aspergers away in " half a heartbeat. " The core of him - funny, smart,

great heart, mindful, keeps trying - would still be there. He'd just have

friends who call our house because they want to hang out with him. He'd prefer

it that way, too.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:52:28 -0500

< >

Subject: RE: ( ) Cure

– You are certainly entitled to

your opinion. If I remember correctly your daughter is 8 years old – I

would bet money that if we were to have this conversation again in 10 years,

maybe 4 or 5 years, your view will have changed. You will then understand

why many of us say we would go for a cure for our children in “half a

heartbeat”. My 20 year old son would be just as wonderful and unique if

he did not have Aspergers and life would not be nearly as hard and challenging

for him.

Behalf Of Byrne

differently??

On

Jun 3, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Elgamal wrote:

respond to Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism she would go

for it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeat”. I totally agree with

Roxanna. We all love our children and we all will say we love them as

they are. But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autism if that was

possible is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want your child cured if they

had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer, deafness, blindness, the

list could go on and on). Many of us on this group have kids who are

older and we have spent years and years on therapies, support, medications, and

continue to see our kids struggle. So, to say you wouldn’t want your

child cured is silly (I am trying to be nice as I can think of much more

appropriate, though less politically correct, language).

“Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the

rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who

see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them,

disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is

ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and

while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who

are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who

do.” - Steve Jobs

Guest guest

I'd agree that things didn't get really bad for me until my late teens and I

started suffering extremely bad anxiety and depression (which continued

throughout adulthood).

Miranda

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>  

>

> I somehow have lost the thread to this and was going torespond to

> Roxanna’s comment that if there was a cure for autism shewould go for

> it “in a heartbeat, half a heartbeatâ€.  I totallyagree with Roxanna. 

> We all love our children and we all will say we lovethem as they are. 

> But to say you wouldn’t want them cured of autismif that was possible

> is just as silly as saying you wouldn’t want yourchild cured if they

> had __________ (fill in the blank: diabetes, cancer,deafness,

> blindness, the list could go on and on).  Many of us on thisgroup have

> kids who are older and we have spent years and years on

> therapies,support, medications, and continue to see our kids struggle. 

> So, to sayyou wouldn’t want your child cured is silly (I am trying to

> be nice as Ican think of much more appropriate, though less politically

> correct, language).

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>  

>