RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Meltdowns

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome, Kirsten. Don't feel bad. I felt bad in the begining when I thought of all the situations that were because of the Aspergers that I probably made so much worse because I thought it was a behavior thing instead. I felt SO guilty! But I have to remember that I can only move forward, not change the past. For now and the future the best thing I can do is educate myself on Asperger's and learn how to make the changes in parenting that I need to do in order to raise an Aspie. "McClure, Kirsten" <McClure.Kirsten@...> wrote: Hi-My name is Kirsten...and I just found out that my oldest, , hasAsperbergers. Since I found out a few days ago, I have felt very downin the dumps and keep wondering what I have done to cause this. Thelittle that I have read so far basically says that they don't know whatcauses it but as a parent we love our children and always feelresponsible when something happens to them. I guess I am looking forsupport and advise from other parents out there. It is nice not to feelalone in this. Thank you! Kirsten -----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of jeanette padillaSent: Monday, June 25, 2007 6:47 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdownsthanks for replying mary. if only people realized or understood howhard it is for these children. it is difficutl for us of course but toimagine what their world is like for them. realtives don't get, friendsdon't get it and yes, they think theses kids are just having a tantrumand we're just "giving in to them". i pray for all of us, mary. hugs,jeanette <mysofas > wrote:I have tried to explain to friends and family the differencebetween a tantrum and a meltdown. When I (and most other people) think of tantrums, they think ofthe spoiled child in the store wanting a toy and his parent says no. Sobegins the tantrum FOR a toy. My daughter does not do this. Her meltdowns usually are from

overstimulation or being touchedunexpectantly or noises that she can't stand or somoene laughing orcrowded places, etc. More than likely the meltdown will start graduallyand work up quickly to a fullblown out of control on the floor kickingscreaming holding her ears... It starts with her averting her eyes,looking at the floor. Then covering her head or ears. Then crying,screaming, to hitting, to falling to the floor.I have had people say she is getting something out of it. I justcan't believe this. I have suggested to her hey let's go to the toysection and pick out a toy or let's go find your fave snack to calm herbut nothing calms her. She isn't wanting something. It isn't a tantrumto get something. I wish it were! Bad days for my daughter are meltdown city over everything. Gooddays I am amazed that she can handle the things that just upset her theday before. I feel I am walking on eggshells preparing to pick

her upand take her home where she is normally fine! Home is a calm place forher. Even though she begs to go places often, she typically has issuesout of the house. sza25 <sza25 > wrote:Hi,Ys that would be a meltdown. My daughters at times, getvery upset and will show anger and pull my hand and try to get awayfrom situations that are too overwhelming.Meltdowns I think will be emotional outburts, tantrums,aggressiveness and any change in their behavior.Ima>> can someone explain exactly what a "meltdown" is? isit when they have a tantrum or emotional outburst like w/my son,antha, who is 7,

he still had trouble w/music class. is hwat he does -covering his ears, screaming, crying, telling the teacher to be quiet, tostop playing the musci etc - is that a meltdown? thanks. > > jeanette> > > ---------------------------------> Get the free toolbar and rest assured with theadded security of spyware protection.>________________________________Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.<http://us.rd./evt=49982/*http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_tools.html> Try the Beta.<http://us.rd./evt=49982/*http://advision.webevents./mailbeta/newmail_tools.html> ________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now<http://us.rd./evt=48223/*http://get.games./proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow> (it's updated for today's economy) at Games.********************Confidentiality Notice********************This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or

distribution of this email message, including any attachment, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

Guest guest

I just finished going through this with my 5 year old with HFA. She

finally is taking control of herself and needs little guidance from

me. She has been on enzymes for food intolerance and the first thing

that happens when a teacher forgets to give the enzyme to her at a

meal is trouble with transitions and extreme rigidity. I try to give

her as little processed food and limit artificial colors. This has

helped a lot. My son is 2 and doing the same things she did at this

age. I have to force him physically to get from place to place. I

don't worry as much this time around because of his age. When I can

no longer hold him while he fights me it will be a problem. He has

an IEP too and this will be addressed more once in preschool. I felt

my daughter's IEP focused most on transitions and it helped to have

everyone on the same page.

Jen

> >

> > can someone explain exactly what a " meltdown " is? is it when they

> have a tantrum or emotional outburst like w/my son, antha, who is

7, he

> still had trouble w/music class. is hwat he does - covering his

ears,

> screaming, crying, telling the teacher to be quiet, to stop playing

the

> musci etc - is that a meltdown? thanks.

> >

> > jeanette

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added

security

> of spyware protection.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.

> Try the Beta.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with

FareChase.

>

Guest guest

What kinds of enzymes? From a physician or herbs? I don't know much about herbs. Thanks!jennifer_thorson <jennifer_thorson@...> wrote: I just finished going through this with my 5 year old with HFA. She finally is taking control of herself and needs little guidance from me. She has been on enzymes for food intolerance and the first thing that happens when a teacher forgets to give the enzyme to her at a meal is trouble with transitions and extreme rigidity. I try to give her as little processed food

and limit artificial colors. This has helped a lot. My son is 2 and doing the same things she did at this age. I have to force him physically to get from place to place. I don't worry as much this time around because of his age. When I can no longer hold him while he fights me it will be a problem. He has an IEP too and this will be addressed more once in preschool. I felt my daughter's IEP focused most on transitions and it helped to have everyone on the same page.Jen> >> > can someone explain exactly what a "meltdown" is? is it when they > have a tantrum or emotional outburst like w/my son, antha, who is 7, he > still had trouble w/music class. is hwat he does - covering his ears, > screaming, crying, telling the teacher to be quiet, to stop playing the > musci etc - is that a meltdown? thanks. > > > > jeanette> > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security > of spyware protection.> >> > > > > > ---------------------------------> Expecting? Get

great news right away with email Auto-Check.> Try the Beta. > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.>

oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

Guest guest

I second that. It's sad, but true.CyberMommyLJA@... wrote: Nothing can stop a meltdown once it's started to escalate. Nothing.Barbara"We learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school"Bruce Springsteen, No Surrender

- proud parent of 17 year old boy with AS

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Guest guest

Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have been

doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in school. He

has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got into his rages 3

times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any suggests to help with his

meltdowns at school?

Guest guest

My son is having the same problems. He's on his 5th suspension in a month because he can't control his rages/meltdowns. I'll take suggestions too!Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "d0lph1ng1rl30" Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:05:35 -0000< >Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

Guest guest

I could have written these posts myself last year and the year before. What a nightmare those days were. Things have improved and the rages/episodes have decreased dramatically. What happened? I read, read, read. There are some great books out there. I actually found some dvd's from my local library that were fantastic. They were tapes of a professor teaching to parents and educators on how to help kids on the spectrum. I took notes as I watched it. I believe that as a mother, I had/have the biggest impact on my son.Granted, teachers come in a close second, but I believe mothers have an imprint greater than anyone.

For the rage episodes, you have to dissect what happened. Not just 5 minutes before it happened, but truly analyze how it transpired. Many times, for my son, he was upset and kept it bottled up over an event from the morning. THAT is the event to dissect. Play detective and figure out the triggers. Some are simple, while others will have more complexity to them.

One thing I believe that mothers/women have a tendency to do is to be overly verbal with our kids. Most aspies/asd kids (high functioning) are rule/logic based--some, if too filled with anxiety will be fear based. Figure out which your kid is and speak to him in that framework. Our kids thrive on patterns/routine/predictability. Create structure for them so you are not constantly giving instruction. Most if not all of our kids hate being told something they already know.Create a schedule for your kids. Not a 24 hour one, but one for their unstructured time. This can alleviate much of their anxiety over what their day holds, but also keep you from harping on them on what they ought to be doing next--it's on the schedule.

As far as schools, mom's/dads need to be there to see what's really going on. Go to the lunchroom/recess and see what the hell is going on. These places are heck on our kids. See what is happening in their environment before you assume your kid is just losing it. Is there adequate support for your kid? Are his needs really being considered or are they an afterthought? See what they are putting up with in their day and see what the school could/should be doing differently. Then, fight, tooth and nail to make it happen. Of course you should start out diplomatically, but reality is that it may not always stay that way when you're fighting this type of fight.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM, <missjen0124@...> wrote:

My son is having the same problems. He's on his 5th suspension in a month because he can't control his rages/meltdowns. I'll take suggestions too!Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: " d0lph1ng1rl30 " Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:05:35 -0000< >

Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns  Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

Guest guest

It depends on what's causing them. Is he reacting to a child teasing him? Is he frustrated? My son also hit several times and we found out, through other children and later (when he was ready to tell us and found the words) that he was being teased. He tends to react dramatically but does not lie. He may perceive things differently and what bothers him may not bother others. He also had meltdowns over getting ANYTHING wrong on his work but those didn't lead to violence. Try to get the teacher or aide to pay close attention to the agression and see if there's a common trigger. My son has sensory integration disorder also so getting bumped in line was the cause of rages. He said the kids were pushing him when in actuality, it was just brushing against him. That was easily solved by having him take turns being

first or last in line each time. Good luck!

From: d0lph1ng1rl30 <d0lph1ng1rl@...>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 2:05 PM

Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

Guest guest

Request a " FBA " (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out

why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal

with each reason.

Roxanna

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do

nothing. " E. Burke

( ) Re: meltdowns

Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have

been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in

school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got

into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any

suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

0D

Guest guest

What about getting him a Paraprofessional/teacher assistant....then he could have the attention he needed. Also, the Para/TA could prevent any teasing/bullying etc. And, if he did melt down...she could take him out of the classroom to calm down ....she could walk with him and talk to him.

Jan

Janice Rushen

"I will try to be open to all avenues of wisdom and hope"

From: missjen0124@... <missjen0124@...>Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM

With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: Roxanna Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400< >Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal with each reason. Roxanna"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." E. Burke ( ) Re: meltdownsHi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have been doing ok but we have had major

problems recently with his rages in school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?0D

Guest guest

I have a 5 year old that was just diagnosed with asperger's and the meltdowns

are crazy at school. I too know how to keep it under control at home. I pulled

him out of kindergarten because it was daily...almost the whole day. Once he had

one meltdown they would just keep occuring. He is extremely oppositional at

school and can be with me as well, but again would never hit, kick, or throw

things at me. It has been explained to me it is a kind of fight or flight

reaction and since they can't flee they fight because they are under such

extreme anxiety. I am hoping for an aide that will be my son's safe person so

that someone can calmly and systematically calm him down rather than trying to

punish and exasperate the situation.

It is hard to be on the parental end, but I imagine it must be awful for them to

feel so horrible that they have such a meltdown. I don't know, I may have to

homeschool this one too. I already am homeschooling a 15 y.o. with sensory

integration dysfunction and that is difficult enough, yikes. I feel so bad for

the both of them and wish I knew how to help more and make it all better. It is

a harsh reality that both my sons have fallen on the autism spectrum...and what

if in the end it was preventable, ugh. I feel overwhelmed at moments to say the

least.

Kelley

>

>

> From: missjen0124@... <missjen0124@...>

> Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

>

> Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers.

He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but

he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the

triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the attention he needs

all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to

kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the

small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being

dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me.

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

>

> From: Roxanna

> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400

> < >

> Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

>

>  

>

>

> Request a " FBA " (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out

> why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal

> with each reason.

>

>  Roxanna

>

> " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do

> nothing. " E. Burke

>

> ( ) Re: meltdowns

>

> Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have

> been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in

> school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got

> into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any

> suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

>

> 0D

>

Guest guest

I would try getting him a para first....I think this would truly help in the long run. The para should be informed and educated to what works and doesn't work for your child. And, there could be open communication between the para and you. I think it would help. I know it is hard but it could work. We have a student in our school and her para has been with her since 8th grade...she is a senior now...there would be no way she could have made it thru all this time w/o her para...

jan

Janice Rushen

"I will try to be open to all avenues of wisdom and hope"

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1@...>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 12:07 PM

I have a 5 year old that was just diagnosed with asperger's and the meltdowns are crazy at school. I too know how to keep it under control at home. I pulled him out of kindergarten because it was daily...almost the whole day. Once he had one meltdown they would just keep occuring. He is extremely oppositional at school and can be with me as well, but again would never hit, kick, or throw things at me. It has been explained to me it is a kind of fight or flight reaction and since they can't flee they fight because they are under such extreme anxiety. I am hoping for an aide that will be my son's safe person so that someone can calmly and systematically calm him down rather than trying to punish and exasperate the situation.It is hard to be on the parental end, but I imagine it must be awful for them to feel so horrible that they have such a meltdown. I don't know, I may have to homeschool this one too. I already am homeschooling a 15 y.o.

with sensory integration dysfunction and that is difficult enough, yikes. I feel so bad for the both of them and wish I knew how to help more and make it all better. It is a harsh reality that both my sons have fallen on the autism spectrum...and what if in the end it was preventable, ugh. I feel overwhelmed at moments to say the least.Kelley> > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > > > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the

attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > From: Roxanna > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> < >> Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal > with each reason.> > Roxanna> > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do > nothing." E. Burke> > -----Original

Message-----> From: d0lph1ng1rl30 <d0lph1ng1rl@ embarqmail. com>> > Sent: Wed, Sep 30, 2009 2:05 pm> Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> > 0D>

Guest guest

I am not sure exactly what you intended by "what if in the end it was preventable," as there is no scientific evidence that supports the cause, except for perhaps in some cases genetic inheritance, for autism spectrum disorders.

In regards to the meltdowns, do you have a developmental pediatrician that you can rely on? Is there a nearby children's hospital that offers OT, PT, and cognitive-behavioral therapy that could help you with interventions? It is great that you homeschool your older child --- you sound like you are already well-atuned to special needs situations!

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1@...>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 12:07 PM

I have a 5 year old that was just diagnosed with asperger's and the meltdowns are crazy at school. I too know how to keep it under control at home. I pulled him out of kindergarten because it was daily...almost the whole day. Once he had one meltdown they would just keep occuring. He is extremely oppositional at school and can be with me as well, but again would never hit, kick, or throw things at me. It has been explained to me it is a kind of fight or flight reaction and since they can't flee they fight because they are under such extreme anxiety. I am hoping for an aide that will be my son's safe person so that someone can calmly and systematically calm him down rather than trying to punish and exasperate the situation.It is hard to be on the parental end, but I imagine it must be awful for them to feel so horrible that they have such a meltdown. I don't know, I may have to homeschool this one too. I already am homeschooling a 15 y.o.

with sensory integration dysfunction and that is difficult enough, yikes. I feel so bad for the both of them and wish I knew how to help more and make it all better. It is a harsh reality that both my sons have fallen on the autism spectrum...and what if in the end it was preventable, ugh. I feel overwhelmed at moments to say the least.Kelley> > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > > > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the

attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > From: Roxanna > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> < >> Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal > with each reason.> > Roxanna> > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do > nothing." E. Burke> > -----Original

Message-----> From: d0lph1ng1rl30 <d0lph1ng1rl@ embarqmail. com>> > Sent: Wed, Sep 30, 2009 2:05 pm> Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> > 0D>

Guest guest

I guess sometimes i am not sure about all the research and feel that there is a

possiblitly it is the contaminants in foods or vacines that may be a causal

factor, but I am also VERY sure it is genetic as my husband most definitely has

asperger's syndrome as well. I almost wish the vaccine thing were true, but I

have tried chelation and enzyme therapy and the expensive diets...and well my

kids are still their beautiful and unique selves. I love them dearly and worry

much more for them than for myself! I am sure all parents here feel the same,

they just want happy kids and if it means homeschooling them and putting off my

degree and career for a few more years to keep the anxiety and frustration under

control than it is an easy sacrifice. I love them so much and just want to give

them the best outcomes possible.

I am waiting for a date with Easter seals and with the behavioral pediatrician.

It takes a few months to get in with either. I think with all the research I

have done, and just being the mom, I am able to handle things pretty well and My

sons and I get along quite well and things go smoothly, but my hisband has a

very hard time with things as he has a zero frustration threshold like my

younger son. I think he needs to be in on the sessions as much as possible, but

I will try to train him as much as possible. He usually just pretty much melts

down with Levi and then I have to calm them both down... it is harder than when

I am alone with the kids.

I am really leery of meds, but what do you all think about meds and the

meltdowns to get them through school. Levi is a practical genius and I want him

to have access to all the scholarships and stuff that he wouldn't with

homeschooling.

The more I research the more I believe the older is kind of asperger's as well,

just a different personality. He has lots of sensory issues, cannot write in

cursive, loves to line things up( like army men or cars, still even though he is

15) Always has to carry something around and does not care for social

situations, but likes one on one interactions with a friend. He fell apart

academically in 7th grade with all the chaos of changing classes and different

teachers that is when I began homeschooling him. He has terrible social anxiety

and has expressed wanting meds if it would make him feel better. He won't even

go into a store in the mall without me or go up to the reister to buy things on

his own. He can't make eye contact with strangers or hardly talk tothem to say

hi and return on friendly exchanges socially. I want him to get a formal dx so

that he can take some classes at the high school that I cannot offer him and so

a college will help him too. He needs all his notes taken for him and test read

and answered orally. If he tries to do a test the regualr way it takes him

hours.

Well on and on I go...are you all bored yet, lol. Any input is much

appreciated!!

Kelley

> >

> >

> > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>

> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

> >

> > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM

> >

> >

> >  

> >

> >

> >

> > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his

triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very

oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the

teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the

attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or

'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand,

they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just

assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me.

> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> >

> >

> > From: Roxanna

> > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400

> > < >

> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

> >

> >  

> >

> >

> > Request a " FBA " (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out

> > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal

> > with each reason.

> >

> >  Roxanna

> >

> > " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do

> > nothing. " E. Burke

> >

> > ( ) Re: meltdowns

> >

> > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have

> > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in

> > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got

> > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any

> > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

> >

> > 0D

> >

>

Guest guest

Its a really interesting one, I done a course last year on early development, it implied that our Aspie kids may be using the executive function part of their brain, usually used for social communication, to do maths and english, and using the maths and english part of their brain for socialising and that is why they excel at either reading or maths, but aren't quite in the right place socially.

I read in Tony Attwood that a traumatic birth can also be a factor, it certainly ticks the box for my son, he was forcep delivery, really bruised at the time, and has an old shaped skull as a result.

And yes I am in the same place with my husband, doesn't have any patience at all. Have to calm the situation down by saying EVERYBODY stop shouting NOW, so it doesn't look like I'm taking sides. lol

Lor B

x

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1@...>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Monday, 5 October, 2009, 12:30 AM

I guess sometimes i am not sure about all the research and feel that there is a possiblitly it is the contaminants in foods or vacines that may be a causal factor, but I am also VERY sure it is genetic as my husband most definitely has asperger's syndrome as well. I almost wish the vaccine thing were true, but I have tried chelation and enzyme therapy and the expensive diets...and well my kids are still their beautiful and unique selves. I love them dearly and worry much more for them than for myself! I am sure all parents here feel the same, they just want happy kids and if it means homeschooling them and putting off my degree and career for a few more years to keep the anxiety and frustration under control than it is an easy sacrifice. I love them so much and just want to give them the best outcomes possible. I am waiting for a date with Easter seals and with the behavioral pediatrician. It takes a few months to get in with either. I think

with all the research I have done, and just being the mom, I am able to handle things pretty well and My sons and I get along quite well and things go smoothly, but my hisband has a very hard time with things as he has a zero frustration threshold like my younger son. I think he needs to be in on the sessions as much as possible, but I will try to train him as much as possible. He usually just pretty much melts down with Levi and then I have to calm them both down... it is harder than when I am alone with the kids. I am really leery of meds, but what do you all think about meds and the meltdowns to get them through school. Levi is a practical genius and I want him to have access to all the scholarships and stuff that he wouldn't with homeschooling. The more I research the more I believe the older is kind of asperger's as well, just a different personality. He has lots of sensory issues, cannot write in cursive, loves to line things up(

like army men or cars, still even though he is 15) Always has to carry something around and does not care for social situations, but likes one on one interactions with a friend. He fell apart academically in 7th grade with all the chaos of changing classes and different teachers that is when I began homeschooling him. He has terrible social anxiety and has expressed wanting meds if it would make him feel better. He won't even go into a store in the mall without me or go up to the reister to buy things on his own. He can't make eye contact with strangers or hardly talk tothem to say hi and return on friendly exchanges socially. I want him to get a formal dx so that he can take some classes at the high school that I cannot offer him and so a college will help him too. He needs all his notes taken for him and test read and answered orally. If he tries to do a test the regualr way it takes him hours.Well on and on I go...are you all bored yet, lol.

Any input is much appreciated! !Kelley> > > > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > > > > From: Roxanna > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> > < >> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > > > > > >

> Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out > > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal > > with each reason.> > > > Roxanna> > > > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do > > nothing." E. Burke> > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different

kids. Does anyone have any > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> > > > 0D> >>

Guest guest

Yes, the older one sounds aspie to me. Regarding meds, give them a

try. they can really make a difference. But also, they aren't a quick

fix. You should get an FBA done at school to figure out what is going

on and work at it that way as well as investigate meds. By

implementing a good positive behavior plan and using meds, it might

straighten things out.

Roxanna

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do

nothing. " E. Burke

( ) Re: meltdowns=0

D

> >

> > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We

have

> > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his

rages in

> > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he

got

> > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have

any

> > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

> >

> > 0D

> >

>

Guest guest

Ditto!! My 17 yo ds had forcep delivery as well and had some slight bruising in the side of his head. In fact I was just thinking about it driving home today and recalled that during delivery, being my first child, the hardest part for me was the pushing and finally I was on the verge of just telling them to just do a c-section to get the baby out. Then the dr. did the forceps delivery. Then I started thinking, if only, if only I hanged in there and tried my darndest to push him out then they didn't have to use forceps. I started crying in my car blaming myself for not trying harder. If only somebody told me then the possibility of AS due to traumatic delivery I probably would have quadrupled my effort- but then it's water under the bridge

now. I know that in all these things God will work it out for good. Sometimes you just can't help but wonder the What if's in life. But if you dwell on it too much, it will drive you nuts. So I don't even try to. Sometimes in groups like these it's just nice to voice out out thoughts and feelings and not be judged for it.

From: Lorraine son <lorrainedavidson12@...> Sent: Monday, October 5, 2009 5:09:55 AMSubject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

Its a really interesting one, I done a course last year on early development, it implied that our Aspie kids may be using the executive function part of their brain, usually used for social communication, to do maths and english, and using the maths and english part of their brain for socialising and that is why they excel at either reading or maths, but aren't quite in the right place socially.

I read in Tony Attwood that a traumatic birth can also be a factor, it certainly ticks the box for my son, he was forcep delivery, really bruised at the time, and has an old shaped skull as a result.

And yes I am in the same place with my husband, doesn't have any patience at all. Have to calm the situation down by saying EVERYBODY stop shouting NOW, so it doesn't look like I'm taking sides. lol

Lor B

x

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1 (DOT) com>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Monday, 5 October, 2009, 12:30 AM

I guess sometimes i am not sure about all the research and feel that there is a possiblitly it is the contaminants in foods or vacines that may be a causal factor, but I am also VERY sure it is genetic as my husband most definitely has asperger's syndrome as well. I almost wish the vaccine thing were true, but I have tried chelation and enzyme therapy and the expensive diets...and well my kids are still their beautiful and unique selves. I love them dearly and worry much more for them than for myself! I am sure all parents here feel the same, they just want happy kids and if it means homeschooling them and putting off my degree and career for a few more years to keep the anxiety and frustration under control than it is an easy sacrifice. I love them so much and just want to give them the best outcomes possible. I am waiting for a date with Easter seals and with the behavioral pediatrician. It takes a few months to get in with either. I think

with all the research I have done, and just being the mom, I am able to handle things pretty well and My sons and I get along quite well and things go smoothly, but my hisband has a very hard time with things as he has a zero frustration threshold like my younger son. I think he needs to be in on the sessions as much as possible, but I will try to train him as much as possible. He usually just pretty much melts down with Levi and then I have to calm them both down... it is harder than when I am alone with the kids. I am really leery of meds, but what do you all think about meds and the meltdowns to get them through school. Levi is a practical genius and I want him to have access to all the scholarships and stuff that he wouldn't with homeschooling. The more I research the more I believe the older is kind of asperger's as well, just a different personality. He has lots of sensory issues, cannot write in cursive, loves to line things up(

like army men or cars, still even though he is 15) Always has to carry something around and does not care for social situations, but likes one on one interactions with a friend. He fell apart academically in 7th grade with all the chaos of changing classes and different teachers that is when I began homeschooling him. He has terrible social anxiety and has expressed wanting meds if it would make him feel better. He won't even go into a store in the mall without me or go up to the reister to buy things on his own. He can't make eye contact with strangers or hardly talk tothem to say hi and return on friendly exchanges socially. I want him to get a formal dx so that he can take some classes at the high school that I cannot offer him and so a college will help him too. He needs all his notes taken for him and test read and answered orally. If he tries to do a test the regualr way it takes him hours.Well on and on I go...are you all bored yet, lol.

Any input is much appreciated! !Kelley> > > > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers. He never has

the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > > > > From: Roxanna > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> > < >> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > > > > > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out > > why he is

raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal > > with each reason.> > > > Roxanna> > > > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do > > nothing." E. Burke> > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> >

> > 0D> >>

Guest guest

Yes, you can beat yourself up all you like it doesn't change anything, I had a huge fibroid that I never knew about so it impaired my ability to push, I'd still be there if they hadn't done something! But I wished it had been a c-section rather than forceps, thats the reason I only have one child, couldn't go through that again.

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1 (DOT) com>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Monday, 5 October, 2009, 12:30 AM

Any input is much appreciated! !Kelley> > > > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know his triggers. He never has

the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > > > > From: Roxanna > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> > < >> > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > > > > > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure out > > why he is

raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal > > with each reason.> > > > Roxanna> > > > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do > > nothing." E. Burke> > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We have > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his rages in > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he got > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have any > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> >

> > 0D> >>

Guest guest

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row with the younger in preschool, but they

are dragging their feet. He will difinitely need an FBA done, but I could

already tell them a lot of things that will set him off. Lunchtime, substitutes,

bathroom time, not sitting in the exact spot everytime at every activity. I

don't understand why they won't just listen a little better...they act like I

don't kow this child at all sometimes. This is bizarre. I ran into the feet

draggin with the older, but couldn't even get any diagnostics done. They just

felt like he was alright, and now here I am trying to homeschool a highschooler

with aspergers(undiagnosed but obvious as all get out)while I take care of a 5yo

with asperger's and a 2 yo that is most definitely in her terrible 2's. I hope

the preschool starts moving things along as I am worried about the younger still

being out of school. He needs to be in and learning about social interactions

and behavior. I am very leery of meds, but wow when he asks for it...you have to

take it into consideration I guess. The school systems are ill-equipped for

high-functioning autistics and they are not really sure what to do with them I

suppose. Maybe when I do get the opportunity to finish college I need to find a

way to take care of this problem in the schools.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice.

Kelley

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>

>

> > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

>

> > >

>

> > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >  

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know

> hi

> s triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's

> very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home.

> I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to

> give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is

> 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that

> the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other

> students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic.

> Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me.

>

> > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > From: Roxanna

>

> > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400

>

> > > < >

>

> > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

>

> > >

>

> > >  

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > Request a " FBA " (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure

> out

>

> > > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal

>

> > > with each reason.

>

> > >

>

> > >  Roxanna

>

> > >

>

> > > " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men

> to do

>

> > > nothing. " E. Burke

>

> > >

>

> > > ( ) Re: meltdowns=0

> D

>

> > >

>

> > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We

> have

>

> > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his

> rages in

>

> > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he

> got

>

> > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have

> any

>

> > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

>

> > >

>

> > > 0D

>

> > >

>

> >

>

Guest guest

Kelley.....

Man,,,there's so much to say here.....but I gotta say one thing for sure.

I was in school off and on over the last 20 some years. Went here and there btwn kids...life.......moves....etc.

I finally got 3/4 of the way to a Soc Work degree. My oldest gets dx'd at 7 with AS/OCD and Tourettes .....(I also had a 5, 3 and 1 yr old). I obviously stopped and in time, went back with 1 or 2 classes at a time for Spec Ed/Elem Ed. I, again, get 3/4 of the way through for that, my husband was in Iraq and I decide to pull my oldest out of school to do a virtual school.

I was in panic-mode. Wondered if I was ever going to be able to finish something.......

I didn't' mind being home if that was where I was meant to be.....which it was.

So....after lots of tears and pity party's (he he)......I talked with the college and they suggested an on line degree.

I decided upon Human Services.

I have taken a couple here and there.........the hardest parts were doing the 2 internships. They required help from my mom,,,,,,,and flexibility from the place I interned at.

But,,,,I finally graduate in Dec.

Man...........it can be done. But,,,,,for me personally,,,,,it took a fricken long time.

So,,,,,,,,take a deep breath.......it CAN be done. It may not be the "traditional" way....but heck....those of us who deal with a family like "ours" aren't "traditional".

Good luck.

Robin

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1@...>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 9:15 AM

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row with the younger in preschool, but they are dragging their feet. He will difinitely need an FBA done, but I could already tell them a lot of things that will set him off. Lunchtime, substitutes, bathroom time, not sitting in the exact spot everytime at every activity. I don't understand why they won't just listen a little better...they act like I don't kow this child at all sometimes. This is bizarre. I ran into the feet draggin with the older, but couldn't even get any diagnostics done. They just felt like he was alright, and now here I am trying to homeschool a highschooler with aspergers(undiagnos ed but obvious as all get out)while I take care of a 5yo with asperger's and a 2 yo that is most definitely in her terrible 2's. I hope the preschool starts moving things along as I am worried about the younger still being out of school. He needs to be in and learning about social interactions and behavior. I am

very leery of meds, but wow when he asks for it...you have to take it into consideration I guess. The school systems are ill-equipped for high-functioning autistics and they are not really sure what to do with them I suppose. Maybe when I do get the opportunity to finish college I need to find a way to take care of this problem in the schools.Thanks for your encouragement and advice.Kelley> > > >> > > >> > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> >

> > > > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > >> > > >> > > > Â > > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know > hi> s triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's > very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. > I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to > give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is > 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that > the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other > students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. > Its like

pulling teeth to get them to listen to me.> > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > >> > > >> > > > From: Roxanna> > > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> > > > < >> > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > >> > > > Â > > > >> > > >> > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure > out> > > > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal> > > > with each reason.> > > >> > > > Â Roxanna> > > >> > > > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good

men > to do> > > > nothing." E. Burke> > > >> > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns=0> D> > > >> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We > have> > > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his > rages in> > > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he > got> > > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have > any> > > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at

school?> > > >> > > > 0D> > > >> > >>__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Online degrees are the ONLY way to go if you have kids especially kiddos with disabilities! I did my associates and bachelors online (Business with a major in HR and minor in Marketing) and thinking that I want to go back for my Masters...

You CAN do it.. but like having kids with a multiple diagnosis you need to be super organized and 150% committed so be sure that whatever you choose for your field you are totally in love with because there is alot more reading and work involved when you are squeezing an entire semester into 6 or 8 week courses.

Good Luck! ( ) Re: meltdowns=0> D> > > >> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We > have> > > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his > rages in> > > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he > got> > > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have > any> > > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> > > >> > > > 0D> > > >> > >>__________________________________________________

Guest guest

I am fortuante to have a bout 72 hours into a Psych degree...I am unfortuante

that nobody cares about that degree unless it is a master's degree. I do plan on

slowly taking courses to finish my bachelor's online, but My husband just

enlisted with the Air national Guard and will be leavning for about 4-5 months

after the first of the year, so needless to say it will be at least next fall

before I move forward with that at all, but there are a lot of accredited

courses on line now and I am looking forward to helping others, now to get some

help for myself, LOL. I have been a freakin' mess today even my 5 year old aspie

asked what was wrong...which is pretty much unheard of, usually he is oblivious,

must've been a real train wreck for that to happen, ROFL!!

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>

> >

> > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >  

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know

> > hi

> > s triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's

> > very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home.

> > I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to

> > give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is

> > 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that

> > the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other

> > students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic.

> > Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me.

> >

> > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > From: Roxanna

> >

> > > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400

> >

> > > > < >

> >

> > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >  

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > Request a " FBA " (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure

> > out

> >

> > > > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal

> >

> > > > with each reason.

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > >  Roxanna

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men

> > to do

> >

> > > > nothing. " E. Burke

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns=0

> > D

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We

> > have

> >

> > > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his

> > rages in

> >

> > > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he

> > got

> >

> > > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have

> > any

> >

> > > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?

> >

> > > >

> >

> > > > 0D

> >

> > > >

> >

> > >

> >

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

Hi, --I would think that your daughter might qualify for a Management

Assistant at school. This is a person hired to stay with your daughter during

the school day to provide assistance, support, etc. particular to her needs. Our

school has some wonderful MAs. You would want to be involved in everything

pertaining to getting an IEP going, including an MA, if the hospital will

recommend the MA idea for her. I would imagine the school would be very

agreeable to an MA for her if she is at risk of running from the school. All you

need to do then is to sign a form requesting/agreeing to one, I believe. Good

luck to you. I have an 8-year-old daughter with A.S. and sensory issues.

> >

> > can someone explain exactly what a " meltdown " is? is it when they

> have a tantrum or emotional outburst like w/my son, antha, who is 7, he

> still had trouble w/music class. is hwat he does - covering his ears,

> screaming, crying, telling the teacher to be quiet, to stop playing the

> musci etc - is that a meltdown? thanks.

> >

> > jeanette

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security

> of spyware protection.

> >

>

Guest guest

Cricky, I never realised there were so many of us doing this, I am home studying for a science degree, once my son is in bed, assuming he stays there, I get a bit of time to sqeeze in some studying, should finish next tear all going well.

Lor B

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1 (DOT) com>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 9:15 AM

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row with the younger in preschool, but they are dragging their feet. He will difinitely need an FBA done, but I could already tell them a lot of things that will set him off. Lunchtime, substitutes, bathroom time, not sitting in the exact spot everytime at every activity. I don't understand why they won't just listen a little better...they act like I don't kow this child at all sometimes. This is bizarre. I ran into the feet draggin with the older, but couldn't even get any diagnostics done. They just felt like he was alright, and now here I am trying to homeschool a highschooler with aspergers(undiagnos ed but obvious as all get out)while I take care of a 5yo with asperger's and a 2 yo that is most definitely in her terrible 2's. I hope the preschool starts moving things along as I am worried about the younger still being out of school. He needs to be in and learning about social interactions and behavior. I am

very leery of meds, but wow when he asks for it...you have to take it into consideration I guess. The school systems are ill-equipped for high-functioning autistics and they are not really sure what to do with them I suppose. Maybe when I do get the opportunity to finish college I need to find a way to take care of this problem in the schools.Thanks for your encouragement and advice.Kelley> > > >> > > >> > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...>> > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > > > > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM> > > >> > > >> > > > Â > > >

>> > > >> > > >> > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know > hi> s triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's > very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. > I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to > give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is > 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that > the teachers don't understand, they don't catch the small things other > students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. > Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me.> > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > >> > > >> > > > From: Roxanna> > > >

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400> > > > < >> > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns> > > >> > > > Â > > > >> > > >> > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure > out> > > > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal> > > > with each reason.> > > >> > > > Â Roxanna> > > >> > > > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men > to do> > > > nothing." E. Burke> > > >> > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns=0> D> > > >> > > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We > have> > > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his > rages in> > > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he > got> > > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have > any> > > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school?> > > >> > > > 0D> > > >> > >>____________ _________ _________

_________ _________ __

Guest guest

I got that a while back, one of those days when you realise its always going to be an uphill struggle, I sat on my bed and cried, Aspie G put his arms round me and asked what was the matter. I burst out laughing, like you I realised I must have been a mess for him to notice. lol

From: kell_corg1 <kell_corg1@...>Subject: ( ) Re: meltdowns Date: Wednesday, 7 October, 2009, 12:29 AM

I am fortuante to have a bout 72 hours into a Psych degree...I am unfortuante that nobody cares about that degree unless it is a master's degree. I do plan on slowly taking courses to finish my bachelor's online, but My husband just enlisted with the Air national Guard and will be leavning for about 4-5 months after the first of the year, so needless to say it will be at least next fall before I move forward with that at all, but there are a lot of accredited courses on line now and I am looking forward to helping others, now to get some help for myself, LOL. I have been a freakin' mess today even my 5 year old aspie asked what was wrong...which is pretty much unheard of, usually he is oblivious, must've been a real train wreck for that to happen, ROFL!! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > From: missjen0124@ ... <missjen0124@ ...> > > > > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns

> > > > > > > > > > > > Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 9:17 AM > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >  > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > With my son, I usually know how to calm his rages because I know > > hi > > s triggers. He never has the meltdowns he has at school at home, he's > > very oppositional, but he wouldn't ever hit me or throw things at home. > > I tell the teachers the triggers, but they don't have the resources to > > give him the attention he needs all day. My son's biggest thing is > > 'everyone hates me' or 'everyone wants to kill me' when he says that > > the teachers

don't understand, they don't catch the small things other > > students do to pick at my son, they just assume he's being dramatic. > > Its like pulling teeth to get them to listen to me. > > > > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > From: Roxanna > > > > > > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:02:10 -0400 > > > > > > < > > > > > > > Subject: Re: ( ) Re: meltdowns > > > > > > > > > > > >  > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Request a "FBA" (Functional Behavior Assessment). This will figure > > out > >

> > > > why he is raging and hitting and figure out a Behavior plan to deal > > > > > > with each reason. > > > > > > > > > > > >  Roxanna > > > > > > > > > > > > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men > > to do > > > > > > nothing." E. Burke > > > > > > > > > > > > ( ) Re: meltdowns=0 > > D > > > > > > > > >

> > > Hi! I have a 6 year old boy who we found out last year has AS. We > > have > > > > > > been doing ok but we have had major problems recently with his > > rages in > > > > > > school. He has been back to school for 1 month now but last week he > > got > > > > > > into his rages 3 times and hit 2 different kids. Does anyone have > > any > > > > > > suggests to help with his meltdowns at school? > > > > > > > > > > > > 0D > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __ >