RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

new to the group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's a good one! Who hasn't felt like doing something like that?SuzanneSent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: Roxanna <MadIdeas@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:00:01 -0500 (EST)< >Reply Subject: Re: ( ) New to the group lol. Kind of seems crappy of teacher to send it home. But by doing that, she is admitting she has no better ideas for dealing with the situation. So that's great data to have. I once was at a conference where they discussed sending the work home for the parent to deal with. A psychologist told a story where she took the kid's pet cage to the school and laid it on the teacher's desk. Teacher looked confused and the mother said, "Well, you are sending the school work home for me to teach him, I'd thought I'd send some of his chores from home to you to deal with." She told the story better than I just tried to do, but it was funny and made the point. Roxanna"Ipredict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson Re: ( ) New to the group You received an excellent reply from Carolyn! Sending the schoolworkhome? That is really horrible! "Oh hey. I'm too lazy to do my job, sowhy don't you do it??" They are really taking advantage of you so far.I've been in this "game" since my daughter was 2 and now she is inkindergarten. Learn the law, what he's entitled to, etc. PunishingAspie behavior is outrageous and useless obviously. Poor kid! He'slucky to have a Mom like you who is trying to help him!JenDD 6 yo tomorrow!!On Monday, January 17,>> Hi everyone,>> My son is 5 and was doing fine, just a little quirky. Then within a week of starting Kindergarten we were getting notes home from his teacher. Mainly that he often doesn't do schoolwork in the classroom, he just sits and fidgets, makes noises, etc. Now she sends his schoolwork home, along with his homework, so we have to fight with him all evening to get it done.>> They weren't willing to do testing, so I arranged it myself, and his diagnoses are ADHD, anxiety, and "Aspergers - tentative." I sent the report to the school and I'm waiting to hear back.>> He used to like school but now doesn't, which is a shame, because he's bright and academically inclined. He's on track academically. They seem to teach every concept in Kindergarten by getting the kids to color something, cut it out, and paste it onto something. I think his motor skills (plus a little perfectionism) are making it really hard for him. Also he gets a bad mark for behavior pretty much every day, for making noises, fidgeting, bumping other kids while lining up in the hallway, etc. I'm not sure he cares any more about his behavior marks, I think he just assumes he will get them.>> I talked to an advocate yesterday, and hoping that she can get us more from the school, because they've been like a brick wall so far. We're also hoping to find a diet that works for him, although it might be tricky as he has food allergies (plus he's a picky eater, of course). We're hoping to avoid medications as he's very manageable at home (except for the schoolwork issue) and was doing fine in preschool also - the only problem is at school.>> More about us: my husband and I live in Tennessee. In addition to our son we have two daughters age 3 and 4 who we adopted about 3 months ago, and a foster daughter who is a toddler.>> I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this group.>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>-- ***The Will Of God Will Never Take You ...Where the Grace Of God Will Not Protect You***

Guest guest

We had a teacher like that! My sweet aspi would get to do NOTHING at school and we would bring tons of work home...defeats the purpose of public education....It has been a battle but things are better! I would love to take the puppy pad to her though!

HAHAHAHA....

Prayers to All this can be a mess!

From: "suzmarkwood@..." <suzmarkwood@...> Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 8:36:48 AMSubject: Re: ( ) New to the group

That's a good one! Who hasn't felt like doing something like that?Suzanne Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender:

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:00:01 -0500 (EST)

< >

Subject: Re: ( ) New to the group

lol. Kind of seems crappy of teacher to send it home. But by doing that, she is admitting she has no better ideas for dealing with the situation. So that's great data to have. I once was at a conference where they discussed sending the work home for the parent to deal with. A psychologist told a story where she took the kid's pet cage to the school and laid it on the teacher's desk. Teacher looked confused and the mother said, "Well, you are sending the school work home for me to teach him, I'd thought I'd send some of his chores from home to you to deal with." She told the story better than I just tried to do, but it was funny and made the point.

Roxanna"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

Re: ( ) New to the group

You received an excellent reply from Carolyn! Sending the schoolworkhome? That is really horrible! "Oh hey. I'm too lazy to do my job, sowhy don't you do it??" They are really taking advantage of you so far.I've been in this "game" since my daughter was 2 and now she is inkindergarten. Learn the law, what he's entitled to, etc. PunishingAspie behavior is outrageous and useless obviously. Poor kid! He'slucky to have a Mom like you who is trying to help him!JenDD 6 yo tomorrow!!On Monday, January 17,>> Hi everyone,>> My son is 5 and was doing fine, just a little quirky. Then within a week of starting Kindergarten we were getting notes home from his teacher. Mainly that he often doesn't do schoolwork in the classroom, he just sits and fidgets, makes noises, etc. Now she sends his schoolwork home, along with his homework, so we have to fight with him all evening to get it

done.>> They weren't willing to do testing, so I arranged it myself, and his diagnoses are ADHD, anxiety, and "Aspergers - tentative." I sent the report to the school and I'm waiting to hear back.>> He used to like school but now doesn't, which is a shame, because he's bright and academically inclined. He's on track academically. They seem to teach every concept in Kindergarten by getting the kids to color something, cut it out, and paste it onto something. I think his motor skills (plus a little perfectionism) are making it really hard for him. Also he gets a bad mark for behavior pretty much every day, for making noises, fidgeting, bumping other kids while lining up in the hallway, etc. I'm not sure he cares any more about his behavior marks, I think he just assumes he will get them.>> I talked to an advocate yesterday, and hoping that she can get us more from the school, because they've been like a brick wall

so far. We're also hoping to find a diet that works for him, although it might be tricky as he has food allergies (plus he's a picky eater, of course). We're hoping to avoid medications as he's very manageable at home (except for the schoolwork issue) and was doing fine in preschool also - the only problem is at school.>> More about us: my husband and I live in Tennessee. In addition to our son we have two daughters age 3 and 4 who we adopted about 3 months ago, and a foster daughter who is a toddler.>> I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this group.>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>-- ***The Will Of God Will Never Take You ...Where the Grace Of God Will Not Protect You***

Guest guest

Hi and welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy it here as I have. It sounds like you're doing all you can for your son. I think we all wonder from time to time if we're doing enough for our children, if there might be one more therapy or service they could get that would help them. I do this all the time. It can be overwhelming.

If you chose not to fight the school, good for you as long as your son is thriving and happy. I have been fighting the school for years. We are a military family and move often, plus we were overseas a long time where services were little to none. My son is 13 now and has never had OT because it wasn't offered in Germany. Sometimes I wonder if it would do any good to request it now. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here!ne

From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>Subject: ( ) new to the group Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

Hi,I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T. He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills. The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing well with medication and no services.It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so

on.. The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind that is brilliant and independent. Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1 services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of the montessori? Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid. So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone near Lake Elsinore, CA with

a son near my age. THanks :)

Guest guest

Just a data point here for you ne, when my son was 13 we got OT for the first time and it was helpful for some of his sensory issues/needs.  Kathy J.On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM, susanne hansen <s_hansen34@...> wrote:

Hi and welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy it here as I have. It sounds like you're doing all you can for your son. I think we all wonder from time to time if we're doing enough for our children, if there might be one more therapy or service they could get that would help them. I do this all the time. It can be overwhelming.

If you chose not to fight the school, good for you as long as your son is thriving and happy. I have been fighting the school for years. We are a military family and move often, plus we were overseas a long time where services were little to none. My son is 13 now and has never had OT because it wasn't offered in Germany. Sometimes I wonder if it would do any good to request it now.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here!ne

From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>Subject: ( ) new to the group

Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

Hi,I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T.

He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills. The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing well with medication and no services.

It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so

on.. The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind that is brilliant and independent. Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for services as I read how people are gettings " social skills " groups and 1:1 services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of the montessori?

Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.

So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone near Lake Elsinore, CA with

Guest guest

Thanks again Kathy, I will ask our PCM for a referral. He was assessed in Germany for sensory issues in second grade and diagnosed with SID. But no OT there was trained to give therapy. We were just given an information paper on tactical defensiveness and how we could address it at home. It didn't even cover his other sensory issues to light, noices etc.

We've been just dealing with it on our own all this time. How did OT help your son when he was 13?

ne

From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>Subject: ( ) new to the group Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

Hi,I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T. He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills. The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing well with medication and no services.It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so

on.. The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind that is brilliant and independent. Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1 services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of the montessori? Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid. So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone near Lake Elsinore, CA with

Guest guest

The OT had some exercises for my son to work with to try and

desensitize him to certain things. Also she did an assessment and

listed the areas he was having problems with. She worked on two areas

at a time with him. It took a lot of trial and error to find the

right sort of sensory items to use for stress relief because something

would seem to work then not work anymore for him. Ongoing OT is

definitely helpful. He still has issues with how his skin feels after

showers/baths, certain sounds especially when unexpected, and certain

smells. She also worked through steps about what he could do when

things got overwhelming.

Kathy J.

On 1/19/11, susanne hansen <s_hansen34@...> wrote:

> Thanks again Kathy, I will ask our PCM for a referral. He was assessed in

> Germany for sensory issues in second grade and diagnosed with SID. But no OT

> there was trained to give therapy. We were just given an information paper

> on tactical defensiveness and how we could address it at home. It didn't

> even cover his other sensory issues to light, noices etc.

> We've been just dealing with it on our own all this time. How did OT help

> your son when he was 13?

>

> ne

>

>

>

>

> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>

> Subject: ( ) new to the group

>

> Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

>

>

>

>

> Hi,

>

> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known

> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't

> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T.

>

> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.

> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than

> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not

> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in

> a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing

> well with medication and no services.

>

> It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But

> honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it

> gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His

> passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so on..

> The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind

> that is brilliant and independent.

>

> Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for

> services as I read how people are gettings " social skills " groups and 1:1

> services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we

> are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am

> confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of

> the montessori?

>

> Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and

> most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I

> took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots

> off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has

> friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.

>

> So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone

> near Lake Elsinore, CA with a son near my age.

>

> THanks :)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I'll definitely check into it. My son likes to chew on things. His pens, pencils, his shirt collar or sleeve, or eat paper. He use to chew on his sleeve until it was sopping wet. He's not so bad anymore. He is always getting into trouble for chewing in school. He also has this blanket that he has to have everywhere we go. He calls it his "blanky". He would honestly take it to school if we let him even thought he is 13!! He even tries to take it outside when he goes out to his friend's.

I think a lot of his disruptive behavior in school has to do with sensory issues. He is always fidgeting, tapping, humming, blurting out random words, getting up and walking around. He gets sent to the office daily for these things. We have to figure out what will help. The school did an FBA which was a joke because it didn't address any of this.

Anyway, I'm going on and on again. Sorry, I tend to do that. :)ne>>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am

an O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in> a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing> well with medication and no services.>> It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But> honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it> gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His> passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so on..> The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind> that is brilliant and independent.>>

Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for> services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1> services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we> are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am> confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of> the montessori?>> Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and> most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I> took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots> off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has> friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.>> So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone> near Lake Elsinore, CA with a son near my

age.>> THanks :)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Was there something that got your son to stop chewing or you think he just grew out of it? My son still chews a lot and he just turned 11. When I picked him up yesterday from school his sleeve was sopping wet, like you said. It's especially bad when he's on the computer.SuzanneSent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®From: susanne hansen <s_hansen34@...>Sender: Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:19:25 -0800 (PST)< >Reply Subject: Re: ( ) new to the group I'll definitely check into it. My son likes to chew on things. His pens, pencils, his shirt collar or sleeve, or eat paper. He use to chew on his sleeve until it was sopping wet. He's not so bad anymore. He is always getting into trouble for chewing in school. He also has this blanket that he has to have everywhere we go. He calls it his "blanky". He would honestly take it to school if we let him even thought he is 13!! He even tries to take it outside when he goes out to his friend's. I think a lot of his disruptive behavior in school has to do with sensory issues. He is always fidgeting, tapping, humming, blurting out random words, getting up and walking around. He gets sent to the office daily for these things. We have to figure out what will help. The school did an FBA which was a joke because it didn't address any of this. Anyway, I'm going on and on again. Sorry, I tend to do that. :)ne>>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I aman O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in> a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing> well with medication and no services.>> It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But> honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it> gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His> passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so on..> The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind> that is brilliant and independent.>>Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for> services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1> services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we> are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am> confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of> the montessori?>> Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and> most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I> took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots> off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has> friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.>> So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone> near Lake Elsinore, CA with a son near myage.>> THanks :)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Ya know, ne.

When I read that he gets sent to the office for his "sounds/actions".....it made a connection wtih me.

Yesterday, Ian got sent out of study hall because he kept humming. I get that they need it quiet, but he got sent to the office.

Okay - I know he's got to go somewhere, but he KNOWS as well as we do, that you go to the office when your'e in trouble. He was really pissed about it when he got home. And I gotta say that I was, too.

I think that he should have been sent to the SPED room or something. Sigh........I feel like I'm always in the "State" of writing someone to tell them "THANKS" for accomodating or being nice or whatever and then the other side - emailing or calling cause they've done something I don't think they should have.

Wouldn't it be nice to just "BE" and get a report card every couple of months? Sigh.......

Robin

"Normal is just

a cycle

on a washing machine.....">>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now

in> a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing> well with medication and no services.>> It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But> honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it> gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His> passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so on..> The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind> that is brilliant and independent.>> Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for> services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1> services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we> are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am> confused as maybe he could be getting

more. When happens when he ages out of> the montessori?>> Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and> most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I> took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots> off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has> friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.>> So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone> near Lake Elsinore, CA with a son near my age.>> THanks :)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

Cool! My son gets discipline points/time outs every day at school for making noises. >>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am

an O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now in> a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing> well with medication and no services.>> It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But> honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it> gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His> passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so on..> The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind> that is brilliant and independent.>>

Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for> services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1> services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we> are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am> confused as maybe he could be getting more. When happens when he ages out of> the montessori?>> Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and> most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I> took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots> off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has> friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.>> So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone> near Lake Elsinore, CA with a son near my

Guest guest

you would think that they would realize that it isn't helping to give him discipline points and time outs every day! The problem with most public schools is that they have no idea how to handle special needs kids. standard discipline doesnt work. they dont know what remorse is and that is what the principals look for when the kids are bad. my son would be suspended alot because he would be bullied and then finally would lash out and he would be the one in trouble instead of both. and if 10% of our school population is special needs, something needs to change. Sycamore Art StudiosSycamore Art

SchoolDeborah GustlinGraphic & Web DesignArt classes for K-12www.sycamoreartstudios.comwww.sycamoreartschool.comHome: 408-710-0892 Business: 408-710-6070From: <jennywatson@...> Sent: Thu, January 20, 2011 10:14:23 AMSubject: Re: ( ) new to the group

Cool! My son gets discipline points/time outs every day at school for making noises. >>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am

Guest guest

We just got the dx over the Christmas break. The school sent the report to the county special ed dept for review. I think they have 40 school days or whatever to do that. Then they'll set up the IEP. We realized there was a problem in late August, but it's taken this long to get the dx. My son's getting pretty indifferent to the discipline points as he averages one each day. I hope it will help with getting him services as he's on track academically. Or maybe they're trying to train him to be a juvenile delinquent - I think there's a shortage of those in this area : ) >>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not>

making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now

in> a hybird 1/2 montesorri 1/2 homeschool (through a charter company) doing> well with medication and no services.>> It's been a long road and I never know what's next around the corner. But> honestly. I wouldn't take the asperger's out of my son nor would he want it> gone. As is his passion for learning is far beyond a typical child. His> passion for reading, building, creating, tinkering, exploring and so on..> The austism has created both a mind that requires special care and a mind> that is brilliant and independent.>> Sometimes I wonder if I should have fought the school district more for> services as I read how people are gettings "social skills" groups and 1:1> services.. but.. I don't know. We just started pre algebra at home and we> are starting a social skills group with my insurance next week. I am> confused as maybe he could be getting

more. When happens when he ages out of> the montessori?>> Initally what made him perform in school (he refused all handwriting and> most work) was concerta (like a miracle). After a year of performing well, I> took him off and put him on prozac (as he was obssessed with wiping spots> off of floors in public :) ). Prozac seems to be his saving grace. He has> friends now, he laughs, engages.. a new kid.>> So that is my story. I'm just here for sharing. I would love to meet anyone> near Lake Elsinore, CA with a son near my age.>> THanks :)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Guest guest

I know what you mean!! I was just saying something similar to my husband earlier tonight. How I wish we could just send our son to school and only have to worry about grades here and there and an occational parent-teacher conference. It just does't seem fair. It's definitely not right that we should have to fight for things on one hand and then practically kiss butts when they actually do what should be done in the first place!

I had someone say to me one time that I need to help them understand and "want" to help my child. Excuse me? "Want" to help my child?? Isn't that why they are called teachers, educators?? Doesn't make sense does it? Ugh!

ne>>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now

Guest guest

Oh, he still chews. It's just not so bad that his closes are soaking or he is eating his paper in school. We let him have gum whenever he wants it. That blanky I told you about. Well he'll chew on it too. Like you said about your son, my son does this alot when he is thinking hard about something or trying to consentrate or is he is upset. If he's not chewing, he is tapping or humming or making some other repetitive noice.

When he was younger, we hasdchewing gum written into his BSP at school. But when he stopped chewing on his clothes we took it out. In retrospect we probably should have tried to keep it in.

There are chewy sensory things you can buy. We just ordered some chewable pencil toppers. Maybe they would work for your son or chewable wrist bands. Check out this link for some item ideas. http://www.nationalautismresources.com/chewelry.html

Hope this helps. ne>>> From: miss_beehavin_2000 <miss_beehavin_2000@...>> Subject: ( ) new to the group> > Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:49 PM>>>>> Hi,>> I have an 8 year old recently diagnosed with aspergers. Honestly, I've known> he was on the spectrum somewhere since about the age of two, but I didn't> want to deal with it (some for of denial).. especially since I am an O.T.>> He is off the charts gifted in most area with the execption of motor skills.> The public school district refused any services in kinder and 1st other than> a 504 plan as he was gifted (even though he was sitting under his desk, not> making friends, spinning and licking objects during class time). He's now

Guest guest

Hi, I'm Dawn. My 27-mo old son has been in the Birth to Three program for just

over six months for a speech delay.

At 19 mos I had taken him for a well-baby visit, and his pediatrician asked

about his talking. At that time he only had " da-da " and " ooo " and other babble

sounds. He had only had two ear infections - one at 3 mos old and a double at

11 mos old. His hearing seemed fine. His other developmental milestones were

right within guidelines, so I didn't begin to think that something was wrong.

The pediatrician said that if he didn't have two-word sentences by the time his

two-year well-baby visit, that we would have to develop a plan for therapy.

I got home from his visit and called Birth to Three and he was enrolled in the

program shortly after with a speech delay and a slight fine-motor delay.

At first he progressed slowly, maybe one word per week and even less signing

than that. In December I asked his therapist if there was something else I

could do to help him, and she recommended a pediatric neurologist. Our

appointment was at the beginning of February.

After I made the appt with the neuro, in January, he had a little explosion of

words, taking his word/approximation count from about a dozen to 30-35.

We still kept the appt with the neuro at the beginning of February, who believes

that he has verbal and motor apraxia. She was reluctant to give the actual

diagnosis until she had more to go on. While he was cooperative at the

beginning of the appointment, when he and the doc were playing together, his

mood changed when she took out her stethoscope and he began to cry and tantrum.

She asked us to make a follow-up appt for the end of March, increase his Birth

to Three visits to two per week, and to video him with his therapists and other

activities (he goes to a Music Together class and a toddler gymnastics class

weekly). We only have a few more things to video of him before we send her the

DVD.

The neuro also asked that we get an audiology evaluation done. We had that last

week, and while he resisted the actual ear exams, we were told that his hearing

is within normal limits when using both ears together.

This is all new to me. I ask the therapists every week what I can do to help

him, and they give me great ideas, but I'm hoping to connect with people who

have children in similar situations.

Dawn

Guest guest

Hi Dawn!

Welcome and please don't hesitate to come back with more questions as often as

you want. It's a busy group and I do hope more answer you as I know there are

quite a few other new members.

When you say your child has about 30 to 35 words now -can you provide a few

examples of the words? If he was to say the words to a stranger would he be

understood?

Did the neurologist say if your child has any other " soft signs " in addition to

the slight fine motor delay such as mild low tone and or sensory issues?

I have below a message I sent to another new member recently that may have some

of the basic information to start -again welcome and let us know how we can

help!

Re: Hello All - My 22 month old has been given an Apraxia Dx

That's awesome Brett that he's starting to say words so quickly! Most with

speech impairments have normal receptive and cognitive ability, and 75% of " late

talkers " are just that -children that speak developmentally a bit later. Why do

they suspect apraxia? Has he been seen by any neuromedical doctors (pediatric

neurologist or developmental pediatrician) to check for any " soft signs " such as

low tone, sensory or motor planning deficits in the body? Anything else? It

would have to be a knowledgeable professional that would diagnose as we as

parents and even some pediatricians can't always pick the soft signs up early.

As again speech impairments don't have anything to do with receptive or

cognitive ability they know what is expected of them -which is very little when

they are little. But if you don't get the appropriate therapies to address any

other issues through Early Intervention -these are the kids that first are

diagnosed when it's obvious to all -even lay people -and typically school

age...so yes to know sooner is better.

If it's a developmental delay with or without therapy or fish oils speech will

just come in -but just a bit later. Thing is you don't want to take a wait and

see approach because if there is an impairment you want to get therapies as

early as possible. So awesome you are on it with therapy and advocacy for your

22 months old!! Here's a basic archived message from our facebook page

http://www.apraxia.org and the direct link to Fish oils 101

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=7401

There is no set dosage for children as you'll read -but in general one capsule

of ProEFA is about what the FDA approved for infant formula -so a capsule of

ProEFA would be a good start point. Again more info on that link.

Here's more " new member " info that may help I just posted here that may help:

If your

child is apraxic that would mean the inability to perform on command- and that

goes for speech, sounds, words, as well as actions -motor planning in the body.

The sticking out the tongue could be a sign of oral apraxia as well -so will

want to check that out -here's some info on that

http://www.cherab.org/information/speechlanguage/oralapraxia.html

If you let us know what state of country you are in we may be able to get you

help as far as local support. There may be parents or professionals in your

area that will be able to recommend private SLP or neuroMDs to you to help you

advocate for appropriate placement and services if needed going ahead.

Regardless of the diagnosis (which by the way does sound like apraxia) there is

SO much hope that your child will be able to be mainstreamed in school and life.

I know that is a huge fear of ours when our kids are little -but statistics as I

say below -are extremely high in our group. A distinguished group you are now a

part of! So welcome to you and good for you!

Below is a bit more info which may help too, after reading all of this we are

here to help more!

First of all congratulations for being so " on it " when your child is still such

a young age. Because of you, it is my belief that your child's future prognosis

is bright!! What you are describing in symptoms is actually more advanced than

my son Tanner was at the same age...in fact even after almost a year of therapy

from 2 to 2 years 10 months my son was not able to make just about any sound

except " ma " and " mmm " In therapy we would have to sing this " silly song " and act

like a ghost and say " boooo " to get Tanner to attempt the sound " ooooo " and a

conductor of a train and say " choo choo " to get Tanner to attempt the sound " ch "

(yes not kidding -that severe) but...he wasn't able to put them together to say

" choo " He didn't have the ability to say that simple little sound -even with a

professional SLP working with him a number of times a week. Tanner also was

diagnosed with hypotonia, dysarthria (weakness in the facial structure for

speech) apraxia including oral, verbal and through out the body...apraxia being

a motor planning disorder- the inability to do or say something on command -as

well as sensory issues of course. That's the short list. And yes as

suggested you probably will have genetic testing done by some of the

neurologists -most in our group do. A decade ago most of us found no answers

there -today due to better testing we are learning there are some chromosomal

deletions or additions that may play a part -but being that in some cases one of

the normal functioning parents have that same chromosomal issues as the child

-it's still too new to answer questions as what to do with that information.

What we do know is yes get the testing, but the most important thing at your

child's age is appropriate diagnosis to secure appropriate placement and

services (therapy)

There is so much hope for any child with a speech impairment or delay or any

sort. And again especially because you are out searching so young- again good

for you and your child! There are things you can do to help too; in addition to

what the therapist can provide to you to do as " homework " there are many fun and

effective things to do at home to help your child. Have you read the book I co

authored -The Late Talker? Here's a clip of parent tips I wrote for Contemporary

Pediatrics which is the trade magazine for pediatric medical professionals

across the US which covers things to do at home

http://contemporarypediatrics.modernmedicine.com/contpeds/data/articlestandard//\

\

\

\

contpeds/492004/136315/article.pdf

I have a new member archive up on this facebook group http://www.apraxia.org/

page- and if you check the discussion board here there are many other new

members with children around your child's age. What's awesome about facebook is

that you can ask the other parents to be your friend- and it's your choice and

theirs whether you do or don't " friend " someone. Here is just one new member

archive http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=13085 or

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=7329 but there are so

many others if you check the discussion board topics at this site.

Just a few things to point out when you take your child for second opinions with

a speech pathologist, a neurodevelopmental medical doctor (pediatric neurologist

or developmental pediatrician) and even occupational therapist- all of which I

recommend you secure private outside of EI -through insurance. We have a chapter

in The Late Talker book on how to help with coverage and there is also a topic

in the discussion area here with a wealth of info on this -here is a direct link

to this topic http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=13830

=====

Guest guest

Hi Kate, thanks for the welcome. Some of his words are clear, for instance

he'll say " daw-ee " for " doggie, " " lah-ight " for " light, " " Ma, " " Dad, " etc.

Other words are just the ends of the word, because we exaggerate the entire

word, like when we say the word " up, " we say " uh-puh, " so his word for " up " is

" puh, " his word for book is " ga, " his word for hot is " ka. " With most of those

approximation words, he will point to what he means, so he'll point to the stove

and say " ka. " And some words are just one syllable of the word like " per " for

diaper and " lo " for hello.

I will check out that book, too, thanks for the recommendation. I look forward

to hearing more about everyone. And thanks again.

~Dawn

> >

> > Hi, I'm Dawn. My 27-mo old son has been in the Birth to Three program for

just over six months for a speech delay.

> >

> > At 19 mos I had taken him for a well-baby visit, and his pediatrician asked

about his talking. At that time he only had " da-da " and " ooo " and other babble

sounds. He had only had two ear infections - one at 3 mos old and a double at

11 mos old. His hearing seemed fine. His other developmental milestones were

right within guidelines, so I didn't begin to think that something was wrong.

The pediatrician said that if he didn't have two-word sentences by the time his

> >

> > I got home from his visit and called Birth to Three and he was enrolled in

the program shortly after with a speech delay and a slight fine-motor delay.

> >

> > At first he progressed slowly, maybe one word per week and even less signing

than that. In December I asked his therapist if there was something else I

could do to help him, and she recommended a pediatric neurologist. Our

appointment was at the beginning of February.

> >

> > After I made the appt with the neuro, in January, he had a little explosion

of words, taking his word/approximation count from about a dozen to 30-35.

> >

> > We still kept the appt with the neuro at the beginning of February, who

believes that he has verbal and motor apraxia. She was reluctant to give the

actual diagnosis until she had more to go on. While he was cooperative at the

DVD.

> >

> > The neuro also asked that we get an audiology evaluation done. We had that

last week, and while he resisted the actual ear exams, we were told that his

hearing is within normal limits when using both ears together.

> >

> > This is all new to me. I ask the therapists every week what I can do to

help him, and they give me great ideas, but I'm hoping to connect with people

who have children in similar situations.

> >

> > Dawn

> >

>

Guest guest

Dawn,

In what city and state are you?

Warmest wishes,

Barbara A , M.S.,CCC-SLP

CEO,

Help Me Speak, LLC

www.helpmespeak.com

2500 Wallington Way

Suite 103

Marriottsville, MD 21104

410-442-9791

Ask me about NutriiVeda!

On Mar 1, 2011, at 11:32 AM, " Dawn " <dawndickau@...> wrote:

> Hi, I'm Dawn. My 27-mo old son has been in the Birth to Three program for just

over six months for a speech delay.

>

> At 19 mos I had taken him for a well-baby visit, and his pediatrician asked

sounds. He had only had two ear infections - one at 3 mos old and a double at 11

mos old. His hearing seemed fine. His other developmental milestones were right

within guidelines, so I didn't begin to think that something was wrong. The

pediatrician said that if he didn't have two-word sentences by the time his

>

> I got home from his visit and called Birth to Three and he was enrolled in the

program shortly after with a speech delay and a slight fine-motor delay.

>

> At first he progressed slowly, maybe one word per week and even less signing

than that. In December I asked his therapist if there was something else I could

do to help him, and she recommended a pediatric neurologist. Our appointment was

at the beginning of February.

>

> After I made the appt with the neuro, in January, he had a little explosion of

words, taking his word/approximation count from about a dozen to 30-35.

>

> We still kept the appt with the neuro at the beginning of February, who

DVD.

>

> The neuro also asked that we get an audiology evaluation done. We had that

>

> This is all new to me. I ask the therapists every week what I can do to help

>

> Dawn

>

>

Guest guest

Hi -

Hmmm, you've given me a lot to do LOL But I'm ready for it - I want to know

more :-) Anyway, the neurologist hasn't said anything about " soft signs " yet -

is that something that they would usually mention at the first appointment, or

does she need to see more of him? We still are in the process of videoing his

therapy sessions and by the end of the week we'll have a DVD sent out to the

neurologist.

He's been saying new words almost every day. This week he's said " per " or

" per-per " for diaper, " buh-ee " for bunny, " pah " for pants. And this week, also,

once he said " per " for diaper, he comes to my husband or me, points to his waist

and says " per. " We ask him if he's wet or if he's got a poopy diaper and he

nods his head.

Thanks! I'll be doing lots of reading over the next few days.

Dawn

>

> Hi Dawn!

>

> Welcome and please don't hesitate to come back with more questions as often as

you want. It's a busy group and I do hope more answer you as I know there are

quite a few other new members.

>

> When you say your child has about 30 to 35 words now -can you provide a few

examples of the words? If he was to say the words to a stranger would he be

understood?

>

> Did the neurologist say if your child has any other " soft signs " in addition

to the slight fine motor delay such as mild low tone and or sensory issues?

>

> I have below a message I sent to another new member recently that may have

some of the basic information to start -again welcome and let us know how we can

help!

>

> Re: Hello All - My 22 month old has been given an Apraxia Dx

>

> That's awesome Brett that he's starting to say words so quickly! Most with

> speech impairments have normal receptive and cognitive ability, and 75% of

" late

> talkers " are just that -children that speak developmentally a bit later. Why

do

> they suspect apraxia? Has he been seen by any neuromedical doctors (pediatric

> neurologist or developmental pediatrician) to check for any " soft signs " such

as

> low tone, sensory or motor planning deficits in the body? Anything else? It

> would have to be a knowledgeable professional that would diagnose as we as

> parents and even some pediatricians can't always pick the soft signs up early.

> As again speech impairments don't have anything to do with receptive or

> cognitive ability they know what is expected of them -which is very little

when

> they are little. But if you don't get the appropriate therapies to address any

> other issues through Early Intervention -these are the kids that first are

> diagnosed when it's obvious to all -even lay people -and typically school

> age...so yes to know sooner is better.

>

> If it's a developmental delay with or without therapy or fish oils speech will

> just come in -but just a bit later. Thing is you don't want to take a wait and

> see approach because if there is an impairment you want to get therapies as

> early as possible. So awesome you are on it with therapy and advocacy for your

> 22 months old!! Here's a basic archived message from our facebook page

> http://www.apraxia.org and the direct link to Fish oils 101

> http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=7401

>

> There is no set dosage for children as you'll read -but in general one capsule

> of ProEFA is about what the FDA approved for infant formula -so a capsule of

> ProEFA would be a good start point. Again more info on that link.

>

> Here's more " new member " info that may help I just posted here that may help:

>

> If your

> child is apraxic that would mean the inability to perform on command- and that

> goes for speech, sounds, words, as well as actions -motor planning in the

body.

> The sticking out the tongue could be a sign of oral apraxia as well -so will

> want to check that out -here's some info on that

> http://www.cherab.org/information/speechlanguage/oralapraxia.html

>

> If you let us know what state of country you are in we may be able to get you

> help as far as local support. There may be parents or professionals in your

> area that will be able to recommend private SLP or neuroMDs to you to help you

> advocate for appropriate placement and services if needed going ahead.

>

> Regardless of the diagnosis (which by the way does sound like apraxia) there

is

> SO much hope that your child will be able to be mainstreamed in school and

life.

> I know that is a huge fear of ours when our kids are little -but statistics as

I

> say below -are extremely high in our group. A distinguished group you are now

a

> part of! So welcome to you and good for you!

>

> Below is a bit more info which may help too, after reading all of this we are

> here to help more!

>

>

> First of all congratulations for being so " on it " when your child is still

such

> a young age. Because of you, it is my belief that your child's future

prognosis

> is bright!! What you are describing in symptoms is actually more advanced than

> my son Tanner was at the same age...in fact even after almost a year of

therapy

> from 2 to 2 years 10 months my son was not able to make just about any sound

> except " ma " and " mmm " In therapy we would have to sing this " silly song " and

act

> like a ghost and say " boooo " to get Tanner to attempt the sound " ooooo " and a

> conductor of a train and say " choo choo " to get Tanner to attempt the sound

" ch "

> (yes not kidding -that severe) but...he wasn't able to put them together to

say

> " choo " He didn't have the ability to say that simple little sound -even with a

> professional SLP working with him a number of times a week. Tanner also was

> diagnosed with hypotonia, dysarthria (weakness in the facial structure for

> speech) apraxia including oral, verbal and through out the body...apraxia

being

> a motor planning disorder- the inability to do or say something on command -as

> well as sensory issues of course. That's the short list. And yes as

> suggested you probably will have genetic testing done by some of the

> neurologists -most in our group do. A decade ago most of us found no answers

> there -today due to better testing we are learning there are some chromosomal

> deletions or additions that may play a part -but being that in some cases one

of

> the normal functioning parents have that same chromosomal issues as the child

> -it's still too new to answer questions as what to do with that information.

> What we do know is yes get the testing, but the most important thing at your

> child's age is appropriate diagnosis to secure appropriate placement and

> services (therapy)

>

> There is so much hope for any child with a speech impairment or delay or any

> sort. And again especially because you are out searching so young- again good

> for you and your child! There are things you can do to help too; in addition

to

> what the therapist can provide to you to do as " homework " there are many fun

and

> effective things to do at home to help your child. Have you read the book I co

> authored -The Late Talker? Here's a clip of parent tips I wrote for

Contemporary

> Pediatrics which is the trade magazine for pediatric medical professionals

> across the US which covers things to do at home

>

http://contemporarypediatrics.modernmedicine.com/contpeds/data/articlestandard//\

\

> \

> \

> contpeds/492004/136315/article.pdf

>

> I have a new member archive up on this facebook group http://www.apraxia.org/

> page- and if you check the discussion board here there are many other new

> members with children around your child's age. What's awesome about facebook

is

> that you can ask the other parents to be your friend- and it's your choice and

> theirs whether you do or don't " friend " someone. Here is just one new member

> archive http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=13085 or

> http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=7329 but there are so

> many others if you check the discussion board topics at this site.

>

> Just a few things to point out when you take your child for second opinions

with

> a speech pathologist, a neurodevelopmental medical doctor (pediatric

neurologist

> or developmental pediatrician) and even occupational therapist- all of which I

> recommend you secure private outside of EI -through insurance. We have a

chapter

> in The Late Talker book on how to help with coverage and there is also a topic

> in the discussion area here with a wealth of info on this -here is a direct

link

> to this topic http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115029735601 & topic=13830

>

> =====

>

Guest guest

Hi Barbara,

I'm in Southington, CT.

>

> > Hi, I'm Dawn. My 27-mo old son has been in the Birth to Three program for

just over six months for a speech delay.

> >

> > At 19 mos I had taken him for a well-baby visit, and his pediatrician asked

sounds. He had only had two ear infections - one at 3 mos old and a double at 11

mos old. His hearing seemed fine. His other developmental milestones were right

within guidelines, so I didn't begin to think that something was wrong. The

pediatrician said that if he didn't have two-word sentences by the time his

> >

> > I got home from his visit and called Birth to Three and he was enrolled in

the program shortly after with a speech delay and a slight fine-motor delay.

> >

> > At first he progressed slowly, maybe one word per week and even less signing

than that. In December I asked his therapist if there was something else I could

do to help him, and she recommended a pediatric neurologist. Our appointment was

at the beginning of February.

> >

> > After I made the appt with the neuro, in January, he had a little explosion

of words, taking his word/approximation count from about a dozen to 30-35.

> >

> > We still kept the appt with the neuro at the beginning of February, who

DVD.

> >

> > The neuro also asked that we get an audiology evaluation done. We had that

> >

> > This is all new to me. I ask the therapists every week what I can do to help

> >

> > Dawn

> >

> >

>

>

>