RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: breathing and weakness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I will try to be patient but the day is almost gone and I only have 3/4 of my kitchen clean enough so I can cook! It is frustrating me but I guess when there is nothing you can do about it you have to stop being frustrated. Tomorrow I have to make some bread and knead it and I'm going to have to stand and pummel the dough for 15 minutes straight. I sure hope I get some of my frustration out on the dough. Maybe it will be the best bread I have made! It's just that there is so much that has to be done and so much I WANT to do and it is so hard to do it. It's like things never get done! My entire house has floors that need to be washed and I have made arrangements for someone to come in twice a month and wash them for me because I can no longer do it. It's just plain too hard for me to sweep and then mop all over the house. Frustrating ...but at least I will be able to afford someone to do what I should be able to do!But, I still intend to have some beef enchilada's for dinner tonight so I best stop bitching and get to work! LOL Yes indeed, I will be enjoying those enchilada's... Blue Flyer, Joyce 64 AZ IPF 8-11

JoyceFirst, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPDis obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF isrestrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel muchdifferent than your friend.As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill isaerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles foroxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness ofbreath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on thetreadmill and walk.Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscleweakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.>> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel betterhaving oxygen.>> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I amusing an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished usingsome Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn'thelp at all. Any other ideas?>> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty ofoxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since Iexercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portableseems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I amhaving a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't knowif I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want toshirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be gettingstronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.>> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doingthings like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPDbut her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her morecomfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like Ido going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! Ithink my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptomsseem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this upin my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with suchminimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw myoxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have torest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I takethe dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinsesome dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?>> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08>

Guest guest

I will try to be patient but the day is almost gone and I only have 3/4 of my kitchen clean enough so I can cook! It is frustrating me but I guess when there is nothing you can do about it you have to stop being frustrated. Tomorrow I have to make some bread and knead it and I'm going to have to stand and pummel the dough for 15 minutes straight. I sure hope I get some of my frustration out on the dough. Maybe it will be the best bread I have made! It's just that there is so much that has to be done and so much I WANT to do and it is so hard to do it. It's like things never get done! My entire house has floors that need to be washed and I have made arrangements for someone to come in twice a month and wash them for me because I can no longer do it. It's just plain too hard for me to sweep and then mop all over the house. Frustrating ...but at least I will be able to afford someone to do what I should be able to do!But, I still intend to have some beef enchilada's for dinner tonight so I best stop bitching and get to work! LOL Yes indeed, I will be enjoying those enchilada's... Blue Flyer, Joyce 64 AZ IPF 8-11

JoyceFirst, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPDis obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF isrestrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel muchdifferent than your friend.As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill isaerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles foroxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness ofbreath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on thetreadmill and walk.Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscleweakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.>> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel betterhaving oxygen.>> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I amusing an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished usingsome Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn'thelp at all. Any other ideas?>> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty ofoxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since Iexercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portableseems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I amhaving a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't knowif I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want toshirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be gettingstronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.>> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doingthings like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPDbut her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her morecomfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like Ido going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! Ithink my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptomsseem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this upin my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with suchminimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw myoxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have torest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I takethe dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinsesome dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?>> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08>

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sharon

You lost me there......after eating what effect of what is less?

As to the spirometer there are many different techniques. I'm unable to

do it in some of those ways so was just told to do what I can do.

> > >

> > > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these

> things.

> > There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel

> better

> > having oxygen.

> > >

> > > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am

> > using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished

> using

> > some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution

> doesn't

> > help at all. Any other ideas?

> > >

> > > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of

> > oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since

> I

> > exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable

> > seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am

> > having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't

> know

> > if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to

> > shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting

> > stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

> > >

> > > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing

> > things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my

> animals.

> > Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe

> COPD

> > but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

> > comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath

> like I

> > do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small

> house! I

> > think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my

> symptoms

> > seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this

> up

> > in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such

> > minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my

> > oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to

> have to

> > rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I

> take

> > the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I

> rinse

> > some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

> > >

> > > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Joyce

You use a word several times that is incorrect when you say " Tomorrow I

have to " and " I'm going to have to " and " so much that has to be done " .

Now when you say " want to do " you're more on target. We've so

conditioned ourselves to what we feel we have to do, when we just don't

have to. Tomorrow, I have to fix myself or get myself something to eat

and eat it. I have nothing else I have to do. It's all want or should or

wish I could. So that said, I can then set reasonable objectives for

myself and not be so hard on myself about what isn't done. If I, a

perfectionist with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (not like

Obsesive Compulsive Disorder) can do it, then anyone can.

I have to have someone come in occasionally too. Some things I can't do

and others I just am better not doing. For instance, I cannot wash and

scrub the bathtub. And, I like my bathroom floors really sterilized

since I do drag my hose across them so I get them hand cleaned (kitchen

too). Right now I have a light bulb burned out in my hall (nine foot

ceiling, fairly heavy dome cover to remove). I could say I " have to "

change it. No, I don't. And to get on a chair or ladder and then stretch

up to remove and replace it is something I can't really do. So, I either

ask maintenance to do it or wait until I have someone here to help me.

The hall is lit adequately until then.

Part of it is deciding how to use the energy we have and being realistic

about what we can do and still enjoy life.

> >

> > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these

things.

> There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel

better

> having oxygen.

> >

> > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I

am

> using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished

using

> some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution

doesn't

> help at all. Any other ideas?

> >

> > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of

> oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it

since I

> exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My

portable

> seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am

> having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't

know

> if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want

to

> shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting

> stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

> >

> > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm

doing

> things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my

animals.

> Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe

COPD

> but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

> comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath

like I

> do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small

house! I

> think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my

symptoms

> seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making

this up

> in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such

> minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw

my

> oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to

have to

> rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I

take

> the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I

rinse

> some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

> >

> > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

> >

>

Guest guest

Joyce

> >

things.

better

> having oxygen.

> >

am

using

doesn't

> >

since I

portable

know

to

> >

doing

animals.

COPD

like I

house! I

symptoms

this up

my

have to

take

rinse

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Joyce

> >

things.

better

> having oxygen.

> >

am

using

doesn't

> >

since I

portable

know

to

> >

doing

animals.

COPD

like I

house! I

symptoms

this up

my

have to

take

rinse

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I'am sorry Bruce. It seems if i do the spirometer right after eating the piston falls short of my goal. Not alot ,maybe its my hiatal hernia interferring. Its a small one but my sister in law says that a meal will push up on it and so on and so on. sharonp

Subject: Re: breathing and weaknessTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 4:48 PM

SharonYou lost me there......after eating what effect of what is less?As to the spirometer there are many different techniques. I'm unable todo it in some of those ways so was just told to do what I can do.> > >> > > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these> things.> > There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel> better> > having oxygen.> > >> > > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am> > using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished> using> > some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution> doesn't> > help at all. Any other ideas?> > >> > > Also, I

have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of> > oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since> I> > exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable> > seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am> > having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't> know> > if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to> > shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting> > stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.> > >> > > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing> > things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my> animals.> > Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe> COPD> > but her doctor says oxygen won't help

her it may make her more> > comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath> like I> > do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small> house! I> > think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my> symptoms> > seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this> up> > in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such> > minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my> > oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to> have to> > rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I> take> > the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I> rinse> > some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?> > >> > > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF

11-08> > >> >>

Guest guest

I'am sorry Bruce. It seems if i do the spirometer right after eating the piston falls short of my goal. Not alot ,maybe its my hiatal hernia interferring. Its a small one but my sister in law says that a meal will push up on it and so on and so on. sharonp

Subject: Re: breathing and weaknessTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 4:48 PM

SharonYou lost me there......after eating what effect of what is less?As to the spirometer there are many different techniques. I'm unable todo it in some of those ways so was just told to do what I can do.> > >> > > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these> things.> > There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel> better> > having oxygen.> > >> > > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am> > using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished> using> > some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution> doesn't> > help at all. Any other ideas?> > >> > > Also, I

have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of> > oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since> I> > exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable> > seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am> > having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't> know> > if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to> > shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting> > stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.> > >> > > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing> > things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my> animals.> > Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe> COPD> > but her doctor says oxygen won't help

her it may make her more> > comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath> like I> > do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small> house! I> > think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my> symptoms> > seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this> up> > in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such> > minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my> > oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to> have to> > rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I> take> > the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I> rinse> > some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?> > >> > > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF

11-08> > >> >>

Guest guest

Sharon

Even without the hernia, the food fills you and compresses the available

space and inhibits breathing as deeply. Never take a PFT right after

eating a large meal either.

Hiatal Hernias are quite common in our group too. I have mine. lol

> > > >

> > > > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these

> > things.

> > > There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel

> > better

> > > having oxygen.

> > > >

> > > > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I

am

> > > using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished

> > using

> > > some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution

> > doesn't

> > > help at all. Any other ideas?

> > > >

> > > > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of

> > > oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it

since

> > I

> > > exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My

portable

> > > seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am

> > > having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't

> > know

> > > if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want

to

> > > shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting

> > > stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

> > > >

> > > > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm

doing

> > > things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my

> > animals.

> > > Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe

> > COPD

> > > but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

> > > comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath

> > like I

> > > do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small

> > house! I

> > > think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my

> > symptoms

> > > seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making

this

> > up

> > > in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such

> > > minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw

my

> > > oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to

> > have to

> > > rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I

> > take

> > > the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I

> > rinse

> > > some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

> > > >

> > > > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Sharon

> > > >

> > things.

> > better

> > > having oxygen.

> > > >

am

> > using

> > doesn't

> > > >

since

> > I

portable

> > know

to

> > > >

doing

> > animals.

> > COPD

> > like I

> > house! I

> > symptoms

this

> > up

my

> > have to

> > take

> > rinse

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Sharon

> > > >

> > things.

> > better

> > > having oxygen.

> > > >

am

> > using

> > doesn't

> > > >

since

> > I

portable

> > know

to

> > > >

doing

> > animals.

> > COPD

> > like I

> > house! I

> > symptoms

this

> > up

my

> > have to

> > take

> > rinse

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Sharon - I've got mine too.

S, Lubbock, TX

NSIP w/PF 12/2006 et al

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these

> > > things.

> > > > There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel

> > > better

> > > > having oxygen.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to

breathe. I

> am

> > > > using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just

finished

> > > using

> > > > some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution

> > > doesn't

> > > > help at all. Any other ideas?

> > > > >

> > > > > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have

plenty of

> > > > oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it

> since

> > > I

> > > > exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My

> portable

> > > > seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and

I am

> > > > having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I

don't

> > > know

> > > > if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I

want

> to

> > > > shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be

getting

> > > > stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm

> doing

> > > > things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my

> > > animals.

> > > > Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has

severe

> > > COPD

> > > > but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

> > > > comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her

breath

> > > like I

> > > > do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a

small

> > > house! I

> > > > think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my

> > > symptoms

> > > > seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making

> this

> > > up

> > > > in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with

such

> > > > minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just

throw

> my

> > > > oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem

to

> > > have to

> > > > rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning

it. I

> > > take

> > > > the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest.

Then I

> > > rinse

> > > > some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

> > > > >

> > > > > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Sharon - I've got mine too.

S, Lubbock, TX

NSIP w/PF 12/2006 et al

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these

> > > things.

> > > > There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel

> > > better

> > > > having oxygen.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to

breathe. I

> am

> > > > using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just

finished

> > > using

> > > > some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution

> > > doesn't

> > > > help at all. Any other ideas?

> > > > >

> > > > > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have

plenty of

> > > > oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it

> since

> > > I

> > > > exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My

> portable

> > > > seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and

I am

> > > > having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I

don't

> > > know

> > > > if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I

want

> to

> > > > shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be

getting

> > > > stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm

> doing

> > > > things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my

> > > animals.

> > > > Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has

severe

> > > COPD

> > > > but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

> > > > comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her

breath

> > > like I

> > > > do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a

small

> > > house! I

> > > > think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my

> > > symptoms

> > > > seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making

> this

> > > up

> > > > in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with

such

> > > > minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just

throw

> my

> > > > oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem

to

> > > have to

> > > > rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning

it. I

> > > take

> > > > the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest.

Then I

> > > rinse

> > > > some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

> > > > >

> > > > > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Oh Joyce, you are not a fraud. This happens and you should call your doctor any time something changes. I certainly wish I had not been so patient, hoping I would improve by just following instructions, and had checked in to get my medications sooner. I got so bad before they found my PH, that my doctor's first words were I wish I had seen you ten years ago. Please call anytime you have a question. He knows what is going on better than anyone else and if he isn't patient in answering your questions thoroughly, try another doctor and the sooner the better. I didn't think I needed the oxygen the first time they gave it to me after a day surgery spirometer when my oxygen was so low that another doctor admitted me for the night and sent me home with oxygen. How I wish I had seen that doctor

for my follow up rather than going back to the twerp that didn't explain what my condition was and what it meant. He told me to get rid of our birds; my daughter and I took in injured birds from the Bird Treatment and Learning Center even before the Exxon oil spill. I thought if I did that, I would be OK and not need the oxygen or further treatment. After all, I had been a health and wellness teacher and never smoked; why would I need to worry about lung disease? Read everything you can on line and ask questions if you find something that you think pertains to your condition.

Margaret

To: Breathe-Support <Breathe-Support >Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:58:04 AMSubject: breathing and weakness

Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things. There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel better having oxygen.

I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished using some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn't help at all. Any other ideas?

Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since I exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't know if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this

up?

Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

Guest guest

Oh Joyce, you are not a fraud. This happens and you should call your doctor any time something changes. I certainly wish I had not been so patient, hoping I would improve by just following instructions, and had checked in to get my medications sooner. I got so bad before they found my PH, that my doctor's first words were I wish I had seen you ten years ago. Please call anytime you have a question. He knows what is going on better than anyone else and if he isn't patient in answering your questions thoroughly, try another doctor and the sooner the better. I didn't think I needed the oxygen the first time they gave it to me after a day surgery spirometer when my oxygen was so low that another doctor admitted me for the night and sent me home with oxygen. How I wish I had seen that doctor

for my follow up rather than going back to the twerp that didn't explain what my condition was and what it meant. He told me to get rid of our birds; my daughter and I took in injured birds from the Bird Treatment and Learning Center even before the Exxon oil spill. I thought if I did that, I would be OK and not need the oxygen or further treatment. After all, I had been a health and wellness teacher and never smoked; why would I need to worry about lung disease? Read everything you can on line and ask questions if you find something that you think pertains to your condition.

Margaret

To: Breathe-Support <Breathe-Support >Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:58:04 AMSubject: breathing and weakness

Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things. There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel better having oxygen.

I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished using some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn't help at all. Any other ideas?

Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since I exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't know if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this

up?

Guest guest

Margeret- did you get rid of your birds? And, did it help? I have 5 cockatiels and 2 English Budgies and I love them dearly. I will not get rid of them! They are my children. I have 5 dogs too and they will not be gotten rid of either! My life would be so empty it would not be worth living. I do things to help keep down the dust like I spray an fine mist on the paper before I change them to help keep the dust from the poop down. Things like that. But I love my birds! Blue Flyer, Joyce 64 IPF 11-08

breathing and weakness

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

Guest guest

Margeret- did you get rid of your birds? And, did it help? I have 5 cockatiels and 2 English Budgies and I love them dearly. I will not get rid of them! They are my children. I have 5 dogs too and they will not be gotten rid of either! My life would be so empty it would not be worth living. I do things to help keep down the dust like I spray an fine mist on the paper before I change them to help keep the dust from the poop down. Things like that. But I love my birds! Blue Flyer, Joyce 64 IPF 11-08

breathing and weakness

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

Guest guest

breathing and weakness

Guest guest

Joyce,

In addition to misting to keep the dust down do yourself a favor and wear a surgical mask to do anything like cleaning cages or changing paper lining or anything like that. You can get boxes of masks at pretty much any drug store. The last thing you can afford is to be inhaling the bacteria, parasites, molds and all the other dreck that's in bird poop.

I know you love them and I'm not suggesting you give them away, just protect yourself.

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:09:45 PMSubject: Re: breathing and weakness

breathing and weakness

up?

Guest guest

Joyce

I'd also suggest gloves, specifically throw away medical gloves. I keep

gloves and masks in my van and one set in my portable oxygen case. You

never know when you might need either. The medical gloves really don't

impact what you're doing. I always use the gloves for pumping gas.

>

> Joyce,

> In addition to misting to keep the dust down do yourself a favor and

wear a surgical mask to do anything like cleaning cages or changing

paper lining or anything like that. You can get boxes of masks at pretty

much any drug store. The last thing you can afford is to be inhaling the

bacteria, parasites, molds and all the other dreck that's in bird poop.

> I know you love them and I'm not suggesting you give them away, just

protect yourself.

>

> Beth in North Carolina

> Moderator

> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: JOYCE RUDY greycharlie@...

> To: Breathe-Support

> Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:09:45 PM

> Subject: Re: breathing and weakness

>

>

> Margeret- did you get rid of your birds? And, did it help? I have 5

cockatiels and 2 English Budgies and I love them dearly. I will not get

rid of them! They are my children. I have 5 dogs too and they will not

be gotten rid of either! My life would be so empty it would not be worth

living. I do things to help keep down the dust like I spray an fine mist

on the paper before I change them to help keep the dust from the poop

down. Things like that. But I love my birds! Blue Flyer, Joyce 64 IPF

11-08

> breathing and weakness

>

>

> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.

There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel better

having oxygen.

>

> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am

using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished using

some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn't

help at all. Any other ideas?

>

> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of

oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since I

exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable

seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am

having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't know

if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to

shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting

stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

>

> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing

things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.

Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD

but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I

do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I

think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms

seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up

in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such

minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my

oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to

rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take

the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse

some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

>

> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

>

Guest guest

Joyce

>

> Joyce,

protect yourself.

>

> Beth in North Carolina

> Moderator

>

>

>

>

>

>

11-08

> breathing and weakness

>

>

having oxygen.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Joyce

>

> Joyce,

protect yourself.

>

> Beth in North Carolina

> Moderator

>

>

>

>

>

>

11-08

> breathing and weakness

>

>

having oxygen.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Yes Joyce, I did. I feel so sorry that I endangered my daughter by encouraging her and supporting the endeavor. I loved the little critters also. My pets have been my confidants and companions through many a tough time when I couldn't share my feelings, fears and situations with my daughter or co-workers. They were all I had. My grandfather even gave me three ducks to play with when I was maybe 11 months old. I kept them along with a menagerie of cats, dogs, guinea pigs, chickens and a horse. I thought that my daughter would be deprived if she did not have the companionship of critters and learning to be a compassionate care taker; that they would teach her responsibility.

I was thinking about that regret earlier this week. What if I have exposed my daughter to something that would cause her to eventually get lung disease. The state no longer will allow birds in day cares, schools, (I was a science teacher) or medical facilities. It is like learning about smoking and latex. My baby is 31 now, is married, has a good job, a nice home and three young children. I do not want her to be in pain or have a shortened life; she could have made friends, visited the zoo and learned responsibility in many other ways. All I have left now is a cat that decided she wanted to live with me. I had a cat that I thought would be my last until this one came along. She sticks close to me and we will probably go pretty close together. My daughter gave her birds to friends who had farms and put the injured ones down humanely because the other birds would have pecked them to death and they could not find food, water and shelter for

themselves. Her cat died of old age and her dog that had epilepsy had to be put down when he got old and nothing could be done for him. She did get another kitty...then I remember when we got her first kitty, Honey, she was the most beautiful, sweetest cat that was spayed, had her shots, license and a vet check as a condition of adoption from the shelter...she curled up and looked so sweet sleeping next to my daughter's face...then one morning she barfed up a wad of disgusting worms in my bedroom doorway. I was just horrified and terrified; we immediately took her to the vet and had her wormed, she lived many more years and we adored her. I have my critters cremated and their ashes will go in with mine. They are parts of my family!

I look at it pragmatically, once I was on vacation with three dear friends in my car. A squirrel ran into the road and to avoid hitting it, I almost ran head on into on coming traffic and killed us all...who did I love and value more? my friends and myself or the squirrel? You only have this one life so you have to decide what is most important to you. Some days my kitty causes me more stress than I need and I wish my ex husband would take her, he loves her too. She gets under my feet and causes me to trip and sometimes hurt myself, she yowls incessantly even after just being fed, she gets on my bed making me lose my breath trying to move her in order to turn over or get up, she barfs on the carpet and I can't bend to clean it up and last week she barfed on my freshly changed bed right where my chin would be that I didn't find until I was totally exhausted and needed to go to sleep. It is a decision I have to make, I have closed

doors and she takes it out by barfing on the sofa... These days I am trying to stay alive and not do anything to hasten my departure. She has been crawling up beside me, putting her feet on the key board...

Margaret

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:09:45 PMSubject: Re: breathing and weakness

breathing and weakness

up?

Guest guest

Yes Joyce, I did. I feel so sorry that I endangered my daughter by encouraging her and supporting the endeavor. I loved the little critters also. My pets have been my confidants and companions through many a tough time when I couldn't share my feelings, fears and situations with my daughter or co-workers. They were all I had. My grandfather even gave me three ducks to play with when I was maybe 11 months old. I kept them along with a menagerie of cats, dogs, guinea pigs, chickens and a horse. I thought that my daughter would be deprived if she did not have the companionship of critters and learning to be a compassionate care taker; that they would teach her responsibility.

I was thinking about that regret earlier this week. What if I have exposed my daughter to something that would cause her to eventually get lung disease. The state no longer will allow birds in day cares, schools, (I was a science teacher) or medical facilities. It is like learning about smoking and latex. My baby is 31 now, is married, has a good job, a nice home and three young children. I do not want her to be in pain or have a shortened life; she could have made friends, visited the zoo and learned responsibility in many other ways. All I have left now is a cat that decided she wanted to live with me. I had a cat that I thought would be my last until this one came along. She sticks close to me and we will probably go pretty close together. My daughter gave her birds to friends who had farms and put the injured ones down humanely because the other birds would have pecked them to death and they could not find food, water and shelter for

themselves. Her cat died of old age and her dog that had epilepsy had to be put down when he got old and nothing could be done for him. She did get another kitty...then I remember when we got her first kitty, Honey, she was the most beautiful, sweetest cat that was spayed, had her shots, license and a vet check as a condition of adoption from the shelter...she curled up and looked so sweet sleeping next to my daughter's face...then one morning she barfed up a wad of disgusting worms in my bedroom doorway. I was just horrified and terrified; we immediately took her to the vet and had her wormed, she lived many more years and we adored her. I have my critters cremated and their ashes will go in with mine. They are parts of my family!

I look at it pragmatically, once I was on vacation with three dear friends in my car. A squirrel ran into the road and to avoid hitting it, I almost ran head on into on coming traffic and killed us all...who did I love and value more? my friends and myself or the squirrel? You only have this one life so you have to decide what is most important to you. Some days my kitty causes me more stress than I need and I wish my ex husband would take her, he loves her too. She gets under my feet and causes me to trip and sometimes hurt myself, she yowls incessantly even after just being fed, she gets on my bed making me lose my breath trying to move her in order to turn over or get up, she barfs on the carpet and I can't bend to clean it up and last week she barfed on my freshly changed bed right where my chin would be that I didn't find until I was totally exhausted and needed to go to sleep. It is a decision I have to make, I have closed

doors and she takes it out by barfing on the sofa... These days I am trying to stay alive and not do anything to hasten my departure. She has been crawling up beside me, putting her feet on the key board...

Margaret

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:09:45 PMSubject: Re: breathing and weakness

breathing and weakness

up?