RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: breathing and weakness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Joyce,

You are absolutely not making this up, it's not all in your mind. Your symptoms are not uncommon in my experience. Weakness and fatigue (along with shortness of breath and cough) are probably the most common symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis. We have all had to learn to listen to our bodies and rest when we need to for as long as we need to.

Please don't compare yourself to your friend with COPD. It's an entirely different kind of lung disease. We have restrictive lung disease which at the risk of oversimplifying means we have trouble getting enough air into our lungs and processing the oxygen through our lungs because of scarring.

COPD is an obstructive lung disease characterized by thickening and inflammation of the airways and a loss of elasticity in the airways and air sacs in the lungs. One of the main differences is that COPD patients have more trouble getting old air out of the lungs than they do taking new air in. This means that their carbon dioxide levels can build up. Because they don't have the same kind of trouble taking air in that we do, very often supplemental oxygen is not useful for them and can sometimes even be dangerous. Some people have a mix of both kinds of lung disease which makes for a much more complicated situation

Please definitely mention the changes you are noticing to your doctor. Things that seem minor to us or don't seem connected to anything else can be very important. Let the doctor decide whether or not it's important. How about keeping a journal for a couple of days? Write down the activity, how much O2 you are using and how you felt. Write when you need to rest and how long you need to rest. This way you can be very specific instead of just telling the doctor you feel tired in general.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some suggestions. Hope that helps!

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

To: Breathe-Support <Breathe-Support >Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:58:04 PMSubject: breathing and weakness

Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things. There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel better having oxygen.

I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished using some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn't help at all. Any other ideas?

Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since I exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't know if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this

up?

Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

Guest guest

Joyce,

You are absolutely not making this up, it's not all in your mind. Your symptoms are not uncommon in my experience. Weakness and fatigue (along with shortness of breath and cough) are probably the most common symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis. We have all had to learn to listen to our bodies and rest when we need to for as long as we need to.

Please don't compare yourself to your friend with COPD. It's an entirely different kind of lung disease. We have restrictive lung disease which at the risk of oversimplifying means we have trouble getting enough air into our lungs and processing the oxygen through our lungs because of scarring.

COPD is an obstructive lung disease characterized by thickening and inflammation of the airways and a loss of elasticity in the airways and air sacs in the lungs. One of the main differences is that COPD patients have more trouble getting old air out of the lungs than they do taking new air in. This means that their carbon dioxide levels can build up. Because they don't have the same kind of trouble taking air in that we do, very often supplemental oxygen is not useful for them and can sometimes even be dangerous. Some people have a mix of both kinds of lung disease which makes for a much more complicated situation

Please definitely mention the changes you are noticing to your doctor. Things that seem minor to us or don't seem connected to anything else can be very important. Let the doctor decide whether or not it's important. How about keeping a journal for a couple of days? Write down the activity, how much O2 you are using and how you felt. Write when you need to rest and how long you need to rest. This way you can be very specific instead of just telling the doctor you feel tired in general.

Beth in North Carolina

To: Breathe-Support <Breathe-Support >Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:58:04 PMSubject: breathing and weakness

Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things. There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel better having oxygen.

I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished using some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn't help at all. Any other ideas?

Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since I exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't know if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this

up?

Guest guest

Joyce,

Beth in North Carolina

up?

Guest guest

Rudy ... can't improve on what MB says. However, one thing jumped out at me. You say you are vigorously exercising 4/days/wk for an hour each day.

Try cutting back on how MUCH you do and see if there is a difference. Maybe do 3 days a week for 1.5 hr and see what you see...you can always increase again.

Yes, always tell your dr if something changes. Getting weaker is certainly a change!

Are you turning your O2 up when you exercise?

Good luck.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

breathing and weakness

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

Guest guest

Rudy ... can't improve on what MB says. However, one thing jumped out at me. You say you are vigorously exercising 4/days/wk for an hour each day.

Try cutting back on how MUCH you do and see if there is a difference. Maybe do 3 days a week for 1.5 hr and see what you see...you can always increase again.

Yes, always tell your dr if something changes. Getting weaker is certainly a change!

Good luck.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

breathing and weakness

I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals. Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

Guest guest

Good luck.

breathing and weakness

Guest guest

Hi Joyce,

I totally agree with MB -- You are not making anything up and definitely tell your doctor any changes you feel at all. Sometimes we may not think the slightest difference is significant, but your doctor will know. Also, I have learned to listen to my body and if it says I am tired, you need to rest, then do it. I have even gotten to the point of taking naps most days just to make it through the day, which is something I have never done. There are many people on this board way more advanced in the disease than me (I don't have to use supplemental oxygen yet), but month that goes by, I can tell I am getting weaker and weaker, struggling more to breathe, especially with exertion. I can't even vacuum the floor without getting short of breath. Definitely tell your doc and don't wait -- you will be glad you did. Hang in there and rest whenever you need to. I have found there is nothing to be done that can't wait until

you have the energy!!

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08 SJOGREN SYNDROME 07/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: breathing and weaknessTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 12:19 PM

Joyce,

Beth in North Carolina

From: JOYCE RUDY <greycharlie@ q.com>To: Breathe-Support <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:58:04 PMSubject: breathing and weakness

up?

Guest guest

Hi Joyce,

I totally agree with MB -- You are not making anything up and definitely tell your doctor any changes you feel at all. Sometimes we may not think the slightest difference is significant, but your doctor will know. Also, I have learned to listen to my body and if it says I am tired, you need to rest, then do it. I have even gotten to the point of taking naps most days just to make it through the day, which is something I have never done. There are many people on this board way more advanced in the disease than me (I don't have to use supplemental oxygen yet), but month that goes by, I can tell I am getting weaker and weaker, struggling more to breathe, especially with exertion. I can't even vacuum the floor without getting short of breath. Definitely tell your doc and don't wait -- you will be glad you did. Hang in there and rest whenever you need to. I have found there is nothing to be done that can't wait until

you have the energy!!

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08 SJOGREN SYNDROME 07/08Mississippi

Subject: Re: breathing and weaknessTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 12:19 PM

Joyce,

Beth in North Carolina

From: JOYCE RUDY <greycharlie@ q.com>To: Breathe-Support <Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com>Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:58:04 PMSubject: breathing and weakness

up?

Guest guest

Joyce

First, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPD

is obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF is

restrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel much

different than your friend.

As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill is

aerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles for

oxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness of

breath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on the

treadmill and walk.

Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscle

weakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.

>

> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.

There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel better

having oxygen.

>

> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am

using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished using

some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn't

help at all. Any other ideas?

>

> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of

oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since I

exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable

seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am

having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't know

if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to

shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting

stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

>

> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing

things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.

Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPD

but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like I

do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! I

think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptoms

seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this up

in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such

minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my

oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have to

rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I take

the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinse

some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

>

> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

>

Guest guest

Joyce

treadmill and walk.

>

having oxygen.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Joyce

treadmill and walk.

>

having oxygen.

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Yes, Beth I will make a journal. After I wrote my note to the group I raised my oxygen and am feeling much better as to my endurance and my kitchen. I guess I need to increase my oxygen when I am moving about. I will indeed tell my doctor when I see him next and will keep a journal as to when I feel weak and what my O2 is. I have an oximerter so it should be relatively easy to do. I have also started to cough in the morning when I wake and I am congested. Sure don't understand that either. And, yes it is foolish of me to compare myself to someone else..even with the same illness but I have to tell you sometimes I do wonder if I am just making this all up in my mind....it is so hard for me to grasp that I just am having a hard time doing things. I feel like a sherker...or that I am lazy and end up calling myself names and forcing myself to do more until I just have to quit. I mean all my life I have had a hate of housekeeping but I have been able to do it and over the years my house has gone to hell and I kept telling myself I am lazy or I just don't have any pride in my house but it was actually that I really was having a hard time doing it. It was so hard that I always put off doing it and I'd call myself lazy. It just seems outrageous and stupid that I can't just get up and rinse the dishes and clean off the counters and sweep the floor and begin cooking! I am flabergasted tha tI can no longer do it. Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

breathing and weakness

Guest guest

Yes, Beth I will make a journal. After I wrote my note to the group I raised my oxygen and am feeling much better as to my endurance and my kitchen. I guess I need to increase my oxygen when I am moving about. I will indeed tell my doctor when I see him next and will keep a journal as to when I feel weak and what my O2 is. I have an oximerter so it should be relatively easy to do. I have also started to cough in the morning when I wake and I am congested. Sure don't understand that either. And, yes it is foolish of me to compare myself to someone else..even with the same illness but I have to tell you sometimes I do wonder if I am just making this all up in my mind....it is so hard for me to grasp that I just am having a hard time doing things. I feel like a sherker...or that I am lazy and end up calling myself names and forcing myself to do more until I just have to quit. I mean all my life I have had a hate of housekeeping but I have been able to do it and over the years my house has gone to hell and I kept telling myself I am lazy or I just don't have any pride in my house but it was actually that I really was having a hard time doing it. It was so hard that I always put off doing it and I'd call myself lazy. It just seems outrageous and stupid that I can't just get up and rinse the dishes and clean off the counters and sweep the floor and begin cooking! I am flabergasted tha tI can no longer do it. Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

breathing and weakness

Guest guest

breathing and weakness

Guest guest

Bruce- I am confused. When you do aerobic exercise you are using your muscles so why don't you get weak from doing that...or lose strength. You need oxygen to walk.....aren't your muscles needing air? In an anaerobic exercise your muscles need oxygen but shouldn't we have enough oxygen to let us lift...like when we do aerobic exercise. But I have to tell you it is easier for me to do aerobic exercise then to carry something. Blue Flyer, joyce 64 AZ IPF 11-08

JoyceFirst, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPDis obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF isrestrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel muchdifferent than your friend.As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill isaerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles foroxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness ofbreath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on thetreadmill and walk.Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscleweakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.>> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel betterhaving oxygen.>> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I amusing an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished usingsome Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn'thelp at all. Any other ideas?>> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty ofoxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since Iexercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portableseems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I amhaving a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't knowif I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want toshirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be gettingstronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.>> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doingthings like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPDbut her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her morecomfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like Ido going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! Ithink my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptomsseem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this upin my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with suchminimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw myoxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have torest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I takethe dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinsesome dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?>> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08>

Guest guest

Bruce- I am confused. When you do aerobic exercise you are using your muscles so why don't you get weak from doing that...or lose strength. You need oxygen to walk.....aren't your muscles needing air? In an anaerobic exercise your muscles need oxygen but shouldn't we have enough oxygen to let us lift...like when we do aerobic exercise. But I have to tell you it is easier for me to do aerobic exercise then to carry something. Blue Flyer, joyce 64 AZ IPF 11-08

JoyceFirst, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPDis obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF isrestrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel muchdifferent than your friend.As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill isaerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles foroxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness ofbreath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on thetreadmill and walk.Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscleweakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.>> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel betterhaving oxygen.>> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I amusing an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished usingsome Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn'thelp at all. Any other ideas?>> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty ofoxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since Iexercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portableseems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I amhaving a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't knowif I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want toshirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be gettingstronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.>> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doingthings like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPDbut her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her morecomfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like Ido going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! Ithink my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptomsseem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this upin my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with suchminimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw myoxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have torest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I takethe dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinsesome dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?>> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08>

Guest guest

Guest guest

Joyce

I don't know the complete way our body works with the two. But we are

getting the supplemental oxygen we need for the aerobic. When I get on

the treadmill, I just turn the oxygen up.

However, if I lift something it's very quick and severe. First, we often

hold our breath when lifting. Do it and see. So we're conditioned not to

breathe in more oxygen. The oxygen that we're breathing can't get to the

muscles in time to help our lifting.

With proper breathing and oxygen we can do some light anaerobic

exercise. But thats in a more controlled environment with oxygen up and

aware of what we're doing.

For me, the hardest household task is laundry with all the lifting and

bending and moving.

> >

> > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these

things.

> There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel

better

> having oxygen.

> >

> > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am

> using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished

using

> some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution

doesn't

> help at all. Any other ideas?

> >

> > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of

> oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since

I

> exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable

> seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am

> having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't

know

> if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to

> shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting

> stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.

> >

> > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing

> things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my

animals.

> Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe

COPD

> but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her more

> comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath

like I

> do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small

house! I

> think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my

symptoms

> seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this

up

> in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such

> minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my

> oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to

have to

> rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I

take

> the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I

rinse

> some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?

> >

> > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08

> >

>

Guest guest

Joyce

bending and moving.

> >

things.

better

> having oxygen.

> >

using

doesn't

> >

I

know

> >

animals.

COPD

like I

house! I

symptoms

up

have to

take

rinse

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Joyce

bending and moving.

> >

things.

better

> having oxygen.

> >

using

doesn't

> >

I

know

> >

animals.

COPD

like I

house! I

symptoms

up

have to

take

rinse

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Joyce,

I can't give you an accurate run down of how the body utilizes oxygen during the different types of exercise. All I can say is that I've been told by every pulmonologist I've ever been to that I am not allowed to do heavy lifting. Do I comply with that 100%? No probably not but when I do need to lift something heavy I prepare for it, turn my O2 up and move slowly and deliberately.

I do understand your frustration. I get angry too. Sometimes it just seems ridiculous that at age 49 I'm so restricted. That doing my laundry makes me breathless, that going to the grocery store feels like an olympic event and that walking for 45 or 50 minutes on the treadmill leaves me so exhausted and weak that I collapse in my recliner for 2 hours afterwards. Before I had this disease, I shared the universal sentiment that exercise made me feel good. Can't say that anymore. I exercise because I know I have to and I know it's the right thing to do, not because it makes me feel good because it most definitely does not.

I get angry but it doesn't last long anymore. I'm a pretty practical and pragmatic individual. I've learned to live with my 'new normal' and still enjoy my life. You can too but it's going to take time. Be patient with yourself!

Beth in North Carolina

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:48:11 PMSubject: Re: Re: breathing and weakness

Bruce- I am confused. When you do aerobic exercise you are using your muscles so why don't you get weak from doing that...or lose strength. You need oxygen to walk.....aren' t your muscles needing air? In an anaerobic exercise your muscles need oxygen but shouldn't we have enough oxygen to let us lift...like when we do aerobic exercise. But I have to tell you it is easier for me to do aerobic exercise then to carry something. Blue Flyer, joyce 64 AZ IPF 11-08

JoyceFirst, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPDis obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF isrestrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel muchdifferent than your friend.As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill isaerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles foroxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness ofbreath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on thetreadmill and walk.Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscleweakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.>> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel betterhaving oxygen.>> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I amusing an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished usingsome Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn'thelp at all. Any other ideas?>> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty ofoxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since Iexercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portableseems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I amhaving a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't knowif I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want toshirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be

gettingstronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.>> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doingthings like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPDbut her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her morecomfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like Ido going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! Ithink my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptomsseem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this upin my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with suchminimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw myoxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have torest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I takethe dishes out

of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinsesome dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?>> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08>

Guest guest

Joyce,

I can't give you an accurate run down of how the body utilizes oxygen during the different types of exercise. All I can say is that I've been told by every pulmonologist I've ever been to that I am not allowed to do heavy lifting. Do I comply with that 100%? No probably not but when I do need to lift something heavy I prepare for it, turn my O2 up and move slowly and deliberately.

I do understand your frustration. I get angry too. Sometimes it just seems ridiculous that at age 49 I'm so restricted. That doing my laundry makes me breathless, that going to the grocery store feels like an olympic event and that walking for 45 or 50 minutes on the treadmill leaves me so exhausted and weak that I collapse in my recliner for 2 hours afterwards. Before I had this disease, I shared the universal sentiment that exercise made me feel good. Can't say that anymore. I exercise because I know I have to and I know it's the right thing to do, not because it makes me feel good because it most definitely does not.

I get angry but it doesn't last long anymore. I'm a pretty practical and pragmatic individual. I've learned to live with my 'new normal' and still enjoy my life. You can too but it's going to take time. Be patient with yourself!

Beth in North Carolina

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:48:11 PMSubject: Re: Re: breathing and weakness

Bruce- I am confused. When you do aerobic exercise you are using your muscles so why don't you get weak from doing that...or lose strength. You need oxygen to walk.....aren' t your muscles needing air? In an anaerobic exercise your muscles need oxygen but shouldn't we have enough oxygen to let us lift...like when we do aerobic exercise. But I have to tell you it is easier for me to do aerobic exercise then to carry something. Blue Flyer, joyce 64 AZ IPF 11-08

JoyceFirst, PF and COPD are totally different diseases in so many ways. COPDis obstructive, meaning the airways are blocked or filled. PF isrestrictive, meaning the lung is damaged. Therefore, you will feel muchdifferent than your friend.As to lifting, it is an anaerobic exercise where as treadmill isaerobic. The difference is lifting normally looks to your muscles foroxygen. They don't have it, then there is a weakness and shortness ofbreath. I cannot lift and bend far over at all. Yet, I can get on thetreadmill and walk.Now you should point out all sypmptoms to your doctor and muscleweakness can also come from a connective tissue disease.>> Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking these things.There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feel betterhaving oxygen.>> I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I amusing an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finished usingsome Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solution doesn'thelp at all. Any other ideas?>> Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty ofoxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it since Iexercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portableseems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I amhaving a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don't knowif I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want toshirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be

gettingstronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.>> I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doingthings like baking bread and having fun with my friends and my animals.Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severe COPDbut her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her morecomfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breath like Ido going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a small house! Ithink my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why my symptomsseem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making this upin my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with suchminimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw myoxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem to have torest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. I takethe dishes out

of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then I rinsesome dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?>> Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08>

Guest guest

Bruce, i get the inhaling slowly with the incentive spirometer, but why hold your breath before exhaling.also why do you think after eating the effect is less.sharon p

Subject: Re: breathing and weaknessTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 1:58 PM

JoyceI don't know the complete way our body works with the two. But we aregetting the supplemental oxygen we need for the aerobic. When I get onthe treadmill, I just turn the oxygen up.However, if I lift something it's very quick and severe. First, we oftenhold our breath when lifting. Do it and see. So we're conditioned not tobreathe in more oxygen. The oxygen that we're breathing can't get to themuscles in time to help our lifting.With proper breathing and oxygen we can do some light anaerobicexercise. But thats in a more controlled environment with oxygen up andaware of what we're doing.For me, the hardest household task is laundry with all the lifting andbending and moving.> >> > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking thesethings.> There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feelbetter> having oxygen.> >> > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am> using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finishedusing> some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solutiondoesn't> help

at all. Any other ideas?> >> > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of> oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it sinceI> exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable> seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am> having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don'tknow> if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to> shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting> stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.> >> > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing> things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and myanimals.> Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severeCOPD> but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her

more> comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breathlike I> do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a smallhouse! I> think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why mysymptoms> seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making thisup> in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such> minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my> oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem tohave to> rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. Itake> the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then Irinse> some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?> >> > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08> >>

Guest guest

Bruce, i get the inhaling slowly with the incentive spirometer, but why hold your breath before exhaling.also why do you think after eating the effect is less.sharon p

Subject: Re: breathing and weaknessTo: Breathe-Support Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 1:58 PM

JoyceI don't know the complete way our body works with the two. But we aregetting the supplemental oxygen we need for the aerobic. When I get onthe treadmill, I just turn the oxygen up.However, if I lift something it's very quick and severe. First, we oftenhold our breath when lifting. Do it and see. So we're conditioned not tobreathe in more oxygen. The oxygen that we're breathing can't get to themuscles in time to help our lifting.With proper breathing and oxygen we can do some light anaerobicexercise. But thats in a more controlled environment with oxygen up andaware of what we're doing.For me, the hardest household task is laundry with all the lifting andbending and moving.> >> > Hi all, I feel so lucky and feel kind of stupid asking thesethings.> There are so many here that are so sick and so far I just feelbetter> having oxygen.> >> > I am having such a hard time keeping my nose open to breathe. I am> using an AYR nasel spay and it just doesn't do it. I just finishedusing> some Nasonex and that has been helpful but the saline solutiondoesn't> help

at all. Any other ideas?> >> > Also, I have noticed something strange. I think I have plenty of> oxygen but I seem to be getting weaker. I don't understand it sinceI> exercise vigorously 4 days a week for an hour each day. My portable> seems almost too heavy to hold where last month it didn't and I am> having a difficult time doing things. Is this part of IPF? I don'tknow> if I should tell my doctor or if it is all in my mind and I want to> shirk doing things. I am completely baffeled. I should be getting> stronger but I have been getting weaker. Confused.> >> > I have been busy and active and my spirits are high and I'm doing> things like baking bread and having fun with my friends and myanimals.> Also do any of you know about COPD? I have a friend who has severeCOPD> but her doctor says oxygen won't help her it may make her

more> comfortable but it won't help her yet she doesn't lose her breathlike I> do going from the living room to the kitchen and I have a smallhouse! I> think my IPF is mild at the moment and don't understand why mysymptoms> seem to be worse then hers and she is severe. Am I just making thisup> in my mind that I get breathless if I don't have oxygen with such> minimal exertion? I feel like I am a fraud and should just throw my> oxygen out and get on with life. Also when doing tasks I seem tohave to> rest in between. I just can't zip thru my kitchen cleaning it. Itake> the dishes out of the dishwasher and then I need to rest. Then Irinse> some dishes off and need to rest. Am I making this up?> >> > Blue Flyer Joyce 63 AZ IPF 11-08> >>

Guest guest