RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Help please!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Has you tongue ever cramped?" Has it ever cramped when doing what? I'm curious because mine has at times. Spifftopper2@... wrote: Hi, Sharon, Welcome....Low TSH alone does not indicate hyper... just as high TSH alone does notindicate hypo.TSH is the thyroid stimulating hormone. It's released by the pituitarygland to regulate thyroid gland activity. Think of it as a voice... Thelower the TSH is the softer it's calling instruction to the thyroidgland, the higher the number,

the louder it's hollering at the thyroid toget it's production up.A low TSH is indicating that your body has determined that the Thyroidneeds to cut back on production.The thing is to determine why.You said that they tested your T4, do you know if it was total T4 (listedon the paperwork as Total T4 or T4) or was it Free T4 (listed severaldifferent ways, most use the word Free or the Letter F... .some say T4 orsome say levothyroxine).Since your T4.. be it total (which is the less valuable test) or Free T4(which tells us a LOT more of what is going on) wasn't high in it'srange.... Your gland 'most likely' isn't over producing around the timethe blood was drawn.We could tell a lot more if they have checked your Free T3 levels. That'sgoing to tell us a lot more of what has been happening over time.You'll learn more of the chemistry involved with this as time passes(don't hesitate to

ask questions, it's the best way to learn --- thatgoes for everyone here) Free T4 is the thyroid storage hormone.... FreeT3 is the most used of the active thyroid hormones. (you can read a bitmore about the hormones and tests at the web sitewww.thyrophoenix.com/thyroid_101.htm If your gland has been overproducing for a while that would elevate your T4 storage... with a lot ofT4 stored in your tissues, conversion will be kicked up leaving you withhigh levels of T3. Testing Free T3 will give us the info that will give abetter idea as to whether or not you are truly hyper.High levels of T3 will kick up your body processes... heart rate,metabolic rate... etc.. that's hyper.The most common cause of thyroid disorders is an autoimmune disorderknown as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Hashi's). Hashi's involves antibodiesthat decide that the thyroid gland is a foreign body and launch attacksagainst it. You'll learn

more about this as you go... for now I'll simplysay that Hashi's cycles. You can be hyper for a while... normal for awhile.. then hypo for a while... and then back... it's like a pendulum...swinging back and forth as the antibody levels ebb and flow.... Thesecycles can vary in how long it takes... for some it's days, or weeks ormonths... it can even be over a period of years or decades.They do have tests for checking the level of antibodies in the blood..these can tell you the level of antibodies at the time the blood istaken. Imagine that as being a snap shot in time of what the antibodylevel was at THAT time. Just because it was 'normal' at that time doesnot mean that antibodies are not involved.Antibody levels have to be checked several times over a period of time tosee if they fluctuate.For most folks.... a hyper state involves specific physical symptoms... elevated heart rateincreased

appetiteweight lossnervousnessdifficulty sleepingincreased thirst increases frequency to the bathroom to empty bladder an bowelThere are more... and not every one has all of the symptoms... and somefolks are a bit different (for example its possible to be hyper and gainweight... )One clue to having been in a hyper state is your finger nails. Take alook at your thumb nail... at the base of the nail there is a half moonshaped lighter area... now look at the nails on your fingers. Do theyhave half moons? A person that has been hyper (for a period of time, andI don't know how long that is) will lose the half moons on their fingersand will only have them on their thumbs.Another little 'ism' that seems to be common in folks that have beenhyper for a while is that your fingers 'dance'. Hold your hand out,parallel to the floor, palm down. and about mid chest height. Hold in ina relaxed manner, not

all stiff. Do your fingers twitch? If they do movea bit... can you hold them still if you really try hard?Do you feel warm a lot? I mean in a room of folks are you the one that isfeeling MUCH warmer than the others in the room?Has your tongue ever cramped?I'll leave it at that.... we'll pick at it some more as we go.Too many vitamins causing a hyper state? Not that I've ever heard of. Aperson with nutritional deficiencies will often have lowered thyroidfunction. Supplements can help get the thyroid working properly again,depending on how much damage was done. But I've never heard of vitaminscausing an over stimulation of the gland.Heat... We've discussed seasonal variations and environmentalfluctuations here in the past... It seems that some folks will have a bitof an increased need for thyroid hormone during cold weather months, itinvolves kicking up the metabolic rate to maintain healthy body

temp whenit's REALLY cold out... we're talking sub freezing temps.. I've yet toread any real study on it... During a heat wave the body would want tokick down the metabolic rate to reduce the production of heat produced bythe body, it would want to cut down on eating to reduce the amount ofeffort involved with digestion AND because fewer calories would be neededto maintain body temp. It doesn't make sense to be that the body wouldwant go into a hyper state during a heat wave.Have you had any unusual food cravings?Hyperthyroidism can be caused by other things as well. A Hashi's hyperswing isn't the only thing. It could be another autoimmune disordercalled Grave's disease. It could be cancer (not very common so don'tfreak on us!), it can also have a genetic cause... like me. I have a TSHreceptor defect that caused me to go hyper... The things that come to my mind right now... Having some more

testsrun....TSHFree T4Free T3Thyroid antibodiesFerritin.. and an ultrasound of the thyroid gland, again, to see if there is anychangeYou may be hyper... I'm not saying that you are not.. but so far thereisn't enough info with just running TSH and T4 to know.What is your resting heart rate? (sit quietly for about 20 minutes andthen check)Hyper sucks... I was increasingly hyper from puberty until I was in myearly 30s and then went into thyroid storm... by the time a doc figuredout what was wrong I didn't have any treatment options, they had to killmy gland before it killed me... whole long story.. I'm 49 now and dealingwith life without a thyroid gland. So.... I think it is very importantto determine what is going on and take steps sooner, rather than later. In the mean time... ask questions... read.... learn... ask morequestions... Don't freak out or panic but don't just 'wait

and see whathappens' either... We learn from each other here.. Topper ()On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:24:58 -0000 "beryl1991" <shroncooke (AT) aol (DOT) com>writes:> I am 57 year old female living in France. On 23 June, after feeling > terrible for several weeks I had a blood test which in all other > respects was fine except for the thyroid. T4 showed normal but TSH > was down to 0.04mUi/l. The doc sent me for a second test and > ulltrasound. The T4 was again normal and TSH up to 0.26. Antibodies > all ok too. Ultrasound showed thyroid was perfectly normal. The > endocrinologist said the low TSH readings were just caused by the > hot > weather!! I had quite a few symptoms of hyperthyrodism, fatigue, > diarrhea, palpitations, agitation, breathlessness etc but he said > this > was coincidence. Am going back to see my general doc

on Saturday - > is it correct that temporary hyperthyroidism can be caused by a > heatwave?> > Also, does anyone know if it can be caused by too many vitamins? > > Many thanks for your help and best wishes to everyone suffering with > this disease. > > Sharon in France

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

Mine won’t push back, it hurts :(

I remember trying even as a teen...

sue

I pushed the cuticles back on my other fingers and found moons.

Spiff

JustYourTypeDTP wrote:

Guest guest

I was bored here at work, so I was using the butt end of my pen and ya it did hurt. I think you're sposed to soak your hands in warm.......wax, water, warm something first before you do it tho. Right now I don't have moons on my little fingers or ring fingers. If I push them back, there they are. SpiffJustYourTypeDTP wrote: Mine won’t push back, it hurts :(I remember trying even as a

teen...sueOn 8/21/06 1:26 PM, "DerSpiff" <mzspiff (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: I pushed the cuticles back on my other fingers and found moons. SpiffJustYourTypeDTP <justyourtypedtp (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote: .

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

>

> I am 57 year old female living in France. On 23 June, after

feeling

> terrible for several weeks I had a blood test which in all other

> respects was fine except for the thyroid. T4 showed normal but

TSH

> was down to 0.04mUi/l. The doc sent me for a second test and

> ulltrasound. The T4 was again normal and TSH up to 0.26.

Antibodies

> all ok too. Ultrasound showed thyroid was perfectly normal. The

> endocrinologist said the low TSH readings were just caused by the

hot

> weather!! I had quite a few symptoms of hyperthyrodism, fatigue,

> diarrhea, palpitations, agitation, breathlessness etc but he said

this

> was coincidence. Am going back to see my general doc on Saturday -

is

> it correct that temporary hyperthyroidism can be caused by a

heatwave?

>

> Also, does anyone know if it can be caused by too many vitamins?

>

> Many thanks for your help and best wishes to everyone suffering

with

> this disease.

>

> Sharon in France

>

You do need to get the doctor to order a T3 test..T3 is the active

hormone and a high T3 would explain the hyper symptoms and low TSH..

Kats3boys

Guest guest

Remember that Hashi's cycles... you may have gone through a hyper phase... I was increasingly hyper for 2 decades and never new it...

Hashi's most often comes to light in it's hypo phase, cuz hyper, depending on how extreme, just makes us feel great, productive... hypo makes us feel like sh**.

Topper ()

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:48:37 -0500 JustYourTypeDTP writes:

I am HASHI HYPO not hyper.Sue

Guest guest

It just cramps for no reason (when I was hyper) for about three years before I actually went into storm... I could be talking, or not, or eating, or not, or drinking something, or not.... or just sitting and not doing a blasted thing.

I would get a twinge... and have enough time to say maybe two words... and then it would lock up... Imagine your tongue is a sock.... Now imagine that sock rolled up and folded over itself.. that's what my tongue did that last year or so.

I'd talked to docs about it... and they all looked at me like I was nuts.... But the endo said it was not uncommon...

The tongue is one of the strongest muscles of the body... All the muscle fatigue and stress issues are intensified there. For me it was my tongue that exhibited symptoms before other muscle groups or the twitching... but no one knew what it meant...

Topper ()

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:22:14 -0700 (PDT) DerSpiff writes:

"Has you tongue ever cramped?" Has it ever cramped when doing what? I'm curious because mine has at times.

Spiff

Guest guest

Mine wasn't that bad luckily, and only did it a few times. It sure felt wierd! Spifftopper2@... wrote: It just cramps for no reason (when I was hyper) for about three years before I actually went into storm... I could be talking, or not, or eating, or not, or drinking something, or not.... or just sitting and not doing a blasted thing. I would get a twinge... and have enough time to say maybe two words... and then it would lock up... Imagine your tongue is a

sock.... Now imagine that sock rolled up and folded over itself.. that's what my tongue did that last year or so. I'd talked to docs about it... and they all looked at me like I was nuts.... But the endo said it was not uncommon... The tongue is one of the strongest muscles of the body... All the muscle fatigue and stress issues are intensified there. For me it was my tongue that exhibited symptoms before other muscle groups or the twitching... but no one knew what it meant... Topper () On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:22:14 -0700 (PDT) DerSpiff <mzspiff (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> writes: "Has you tongue ever cramped?" Has it ever cramped when doing what? I'm curious because mine has at times. Spiff

Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com

Guest guest

Mine wasn't that bad luckily, and only did it a few times. It sure felt wierd! Spifftopper2@... wrote: It just cramps for no reason (when I was hyper) for about three years before I actually went into storm... I could be talking, or not, or eating, or not, or drinking something, or not.... or just sitting and not doing a blasted thing. I would get a twinge... and have enough time to say maybe two words... and then it would lock up... Imagine your tongue is a

sock.... Now imagine that sock rolled up and folded over itself.. that's what my tongue did that last year or so. I'd talked to docs about it... and they all looked at me like I was nuts.... But the endo said it was not uncommon... The tongue is one of the strongest muscles of the body... All the muscle fatigue and stress issues are intensified there. For me it was my tongue that exhibited symptoms before other muscle groups or the twitching... but no one knew what it meant... Topper () On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:22:14 -0700 (PDT) DerSpiff <mzspiff (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> writes: "Has you tongue ever cramped?" Has it ever cramped when doing what? I'm curious because mine has at times. Spiff

Guest guest

Guest guest

Well, I've never beenn hyper, but I will tell you that the only nails on my hands that have the half moons are the thumbs, so that is not necessarily an indication of being hyper. Willyorca wrote: One clue to having been in a hyper state is your finger nails. Take alook at your thumb nail... at the base of the nail there is a half moonshaped lighter area... now look at the nails on your fingers. Do theyhave half moons? A person that has been hyper (for a period of time, andI don't know how long that is) will lose the half moons on their fingersand will only have them on their thumbs. Kathy

>^,,^<KitzCat146@...http://www.chaytongroup.com/modernbill/order/index.php?aid=ka081104http://www.heartwarmers4u.com/members/?kitzcatkitzcat2001 on Yahoo Messengerkitzcat on MSN MessengerIn a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats. - English Proverb

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out.

Guest guest

Well, I've never beenn hyper, but I will tell you that the only nails on my hands that have the half moons are the thumbs, so that is not necessarily an indication of being hyper. Willyorca wrote: One clue to having been in a hyper state is your finger nails. Take alook at your thumb nail... at the base of the nail there is a half moonshaped lighter area... now look at the nails on your fingers. Do theyhave half moons? A person that has been hyper (for a period of time, andI don't know how long that is) will lose the half moons on their fingersand will only have them on their thumbs. Kathy

>^,,^<KitzCat146@...http://www.chaytongroup.com/modernbill/order/index.php?aid=ka081104http://www.heartwarmers4u.com/members/?kitzcatkitzcat2001 on Yahoo Messengerkitzcat on MSN MessengerIn a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats. - English Proverb

Guest guest

Guest guest

How do you tell if you have no moons or full moons.. meaning the nail

is all moon?

Sorry, hubby was looking over my shoulder and wanted to know what

moons have to do to with thyroid and what a moon was on a finger.. he

has moons on all his fingers..but he says I do not have no moons just

my moons go all the way to the nail bed.. now I know he is just being

a brat.. but how would you tell between all moon or no moon?

Kats3boys

Guest guest

is all moon?

Kats3boys

Guest guest

is all moon?

Kats3boys

Guest guest

Moons don’t go to the end of the nail so it’s kinda easy to tell, plus if you soften and “dig” you will see a “glimpse” of your moons

Sue

But your husband gets “half marks” for the wit :)

is all moon?

Kats3boys

Guest guest

Moons don’t go to the end of the nail so it’s kinda easy to tell, plus if you soften and “dig” you will see a “glimpse” of your moons

Sue

is all moon?

Kats3boys

Guest guest

Sue

is all moon?

Kats3boys