Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi lee,

welcome:D!!

you came to the right place

think cfs and fibro are generic blanket diagnoses for the same systemic

condition...

if you have low thyroid, then you have all of the things you mentioned... and

you would be " chronically fatigued " ... and have aches and pains.

if you have tired out adrenal glands, then you might be low cortisol, and that

is the oil for our joint.... then you would have joint aches and pains....like

fibroM, plus an array of other symptoms. they have to put these fancy names on

it to market and sell to it.

its all related and cant be separated into different specific conditions, each

treated separately. each person is unique and came to their current state due

to a conglomeration of various influences from within and without. you seem to

have figured that out, so congrats ;)

you also seem to have a doctor that will acknowledge the thyroid connection to

how you are feeling, and thats more than a lot of people can say. but dont put

all your money on the endo you find for all your answers... stick to your gut

and how YOUR BODY feels. you have to be the one to live in it at the end of the

day.

anyway, this stuff can be overwhelming, but i hope it is encouraging to know you

can have a say and can feel better because of it.

welcome again;)

hope this offers encouragement

>

> Hi, everyone. I¹m new here and thought I¹d toss in an introduction. I¹m 54

> and was diagnosed with CFS in 2003, although I¹ve had problems with chronic

> fatigue since I was 18 and had a mystery illness that was diagnosed as

> mononucleosis, even though the test was not conclusive. I just never got

> better from it. Personally, I think the fatigue, and other related problems

> (joint and muscle pain, brain fog, dry skin, weight gain, hair loss, cold

> intolerance, etc., etc., etc.), are really due to a thyroid problem, and

> have thought that for a long time.

>

> I have a new doctor after my doctor of 20 years retired. After discussing

> my CFS diagnosis, she wants to send me to an endocrinologist, and I have an

> appointment in July. We ran a long list of thyroid tests ­ every one I

> could find in doing my own research on hypothyroidism ­ and they all came

> back within the normal range. The only thing I could find in my reading

> that might indicate a problem is the ratio of T3 and Free T3 to Reverse T3,

> which is why I joined this group. My total T3 was 1.17, Free T3 was 3.27,

> and Reverse T3 was 203.

>

> The other subject I keep running into is adrenal fatigue. However, the

> websites where I¹ve found information on adrenal fatigue all appear to want

> to sell you things, so I kind of distrust the information I¹m getting there.

>

> I did a search of this group¹s posts and saw a number of posts on

> CFS/Fibromyalgia (which I think are really the same thing), but I¹d love to

> pick all of your brains about the intersection of CFS/Fibro, adrenal issues

> and thyroid issues. Any thoughts?

>

> Thanks so much.

>

> Lee

>

Guest guest

Hi Lee...just wanted to say "welcome!" Glad you found the site, but sorry you have a need for it. :) We are all trying to figure our way through this, and Nick and Val are such devoted and precious people for spending so much time and energy to give hope where there seems to be little from the medical establishment as a whole.

I have for a long time suspected that fibromyalgia, cfs, etc. all stem from the same illness.....our hormone system with thyroid and adrenals and sex hormones gone haywire. I haven't figured out which came first, the chicken or the egg...ahem.....adrenal or thyroid....but now I know they are both major involved. I am rt3, too...ratio 12.14 latest check, so I'm working on ramping up on the Cytomel to clear the receptors. Definitely check your ferritin levels, because even though my hemoglobin was good....my ferritin levels were not.

Best wishes to you on this journey....there is HOPE!

Subject: IntroductionTo: RT3_T3 Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 7:53 PM

Hi, everyone. I’m new here and thought I’d toss in an introduction. I’m 54 and was diagnosed with CFS in 2003, although I’ve had problems with chronic fatigue since I was 18 and had a mystery illness that was diagnosed as mononucleosis, even though the test was not conclusive. I just never got better from it. Personally, I think the fatigue, and other related problems (joint and muscle pain, brain fog, dry skin, weight gain, hair loss, cold intolerance, etc., etc., etc.), are really due to a thyroid problem, and have thought that for a long time. I have a new doctor after my doctor of 20 years retired. After discussing my CFS diagnosis, she wants to send me to an endocrinologist, and I have an appointment in July. We ran a long list of thyroid tests – every one I could find in doing my own research on

hypothyroidism – and they all came back within the normal range. The only thing I could find in my reading that might indicate a problem is the ratio of T3 and Free T3 to Reverse T3, which is why I joined this group. My total T3 was 1.17, Free T3 was 3.27, and Reverse T3 was 203.The other subject I keep running into is adrenal fatigue. However, the websites where I’ve found information on adrenal fatigue all appear to want to sell you things, so I kind of distrust the information I’m getting there.I did a search of this group’s posts and saw a number of posts on CFS/Fibromyalgia (which I think are really the same thing), but I’d love to pick all of your brains about the intersection of CFS/Fibro, adrenal issues and thyroid issues. Any thoughts?Thanks so much.Lee

Guest guest

Hi Lee...just wanted to say "welcome!" Glad you found the site, but sorry you have a need for it. :) We are all trying to figure our way through this, and Nick and Val are such devoted and precious people for spending so much time and energy to give hope where there seems to be little from the medical establishment as a whole.

I have for a long time suspected that fibromyalgia, cfs, etc. all stem from the same illness.....our hormone system with thyroid and adrenals and sex hormones gone haywire. I haven't figured out which came first, the chicken or the egg...ahem.....adrenal or thyroid....but now I know they are both major involved. I am rt3, too...ratio 12.14 latest check, so I'm working on ramping up on the Cytomel to clear the receptors. Definitely check your ferritin levels, because even though my hemoglobin was good....my ferritin levels were not.

Hi, everyone. I’m new here and thought I’d toss in an introduction. I’m 54 and was diagnosed with CFS in 2003, although I’ve had problems with chronic fatigue since I was 18 and had a mystery illness that was diagnosed as mononucleosis, even though the test was not conclusive. I just never got better from it. Personally, I think the fatigue, and other related problems (joint and muscle pain, brain fog, dry skin, weight gain, hair loss, cold intolerance, etc., etc., etc.), are really due to a thyroid problem, and have thought that for a long time. I have a new doctor after my doctor of 20 years retired. After discussing my CFS diagnosis, she wants to send me to an endocrinologist, and I have an appointment in July. We ran a long list of thyroid tests – every one I could find in doing my own research on

hypothyroidism – and they all came back within the normal range. The only thing I could find in my reading that might indicate a problem is the ratio of T3 and Free T3 to Reverse T3, which is why I joined this group. My total T3 was 1.17, Free T3 was 3.27, and Reverse T3 was 203.The other subject I keep running into is adrenal fatigue. However, the websites where I’ve found information on adrenal fatigue all appear to want to sell you things, so I kind of distrust the information I’m getting there.I did a search of this group’s posts and saw a number of posts on CFS/Fibromyalgia (which I think are really the same thing), but I’d love to pick all of your brains about the intersection of CFS/Fibro, adrenal issues and thyroid issues. Any thoughts?Thanks so much.Lee

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks, Joan. I've just run into the word ferritin today for the first time. It's obviously some form of iron, but is it what they measure to see if you're anemic? I've always had good iron levels. Is that what ferritin is?LeeSent from my iPhone

From: Lee <L (AT) VocalStudio (DOT) com>Subject: IntroductionTo: RT3_T3 Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 7:53 PM

Guest guest

Thanks, Joan. I've just run into the word ferritin today for the first time. It's obviously some form of iron, but is it what they measure to see if you're anemic? I've always had good iron levels. Is that what ferritin is?LeeSent from my iPhone

From: Lee <L (AT) VocalStudio (DOT) com>Subject: IntroductionTo: RT3_T3 Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 7:53 PM

Guest guest

Guest guest

nice, that sounds like a keeper to me:)

at the very least, she seems willing to write you lab orders,as those seem to be

the real money suckers.

i'd check out val's adrenal page as well, as with this group, there are really

wonderful moderators who always put together very thoughtful answers.

if she did a one-time blood sample for your cortisol levels, that is really not

an effective indicator of your 24 hour cortisol rythm (aka your circadian

rythm)... for example, you may be too low or normal in the morning, and then too

high at night. a saliva test, where you collect 4 samples of saliva at various

points of your day, is really your best bet... that'll tell you if your rythm is

wacky (or more specifically what stage of adrenal fatigue you might be in) and

from there you'll be able to decide what steps to take to support your adrenals.

if she wont get you a saliva test, you can always order your own...

www.canaryclub.org is a good place to start. they run around $100 i think.

again, i'd really suggest going back and forth from here to the adrenal group.

we're really only supposed discuss rt3/t3 stuff here and only adrenal stuff over

there, but really it's hard to get to the point of having one problem without

the other. so its a blessing to have both groups. (and bless the moderators of

both!!! they are life savers:))

> >> >

> >> > Hi, everyone. I¹m new here and thought I¹d toss in an introduction. I¹m

> >> 54

> >> > and was diagnosed with CFS in 2003, although I¹ve had problems with

chronic

> >> > fatigue since I was 18 and had a mystery illness that was diagnosed as

> >> > mononucleosis, even though the test was not conclusive. I just never got

> >> > better from it. Personally, I think the fatigue, and other related

> >> problems

> >> > (joint and muscle pain, brain fog, dry skin, weight gain, hair loss, cold

> >> > intolerance, etc., etc., etc.), are really due to a thyroid problem, and

> >> > have thought that for a long time.

> >> >

> >> > I have a new doctor after my doctor of 20 years retired. After

discussing

> >> > my CFS diagnosis, she wants to send me to an endocrinologist, and I have

an

> >> > appointment in July. We ran a long list of thyroid tests ­ every one I

> >> > could find in doing my own research on hypothyroidism ­ and they all came

> >> > back within the normal range. The only thing I could find in my reading

> >> > that might indicate a problem is the ratio of T3 and Free T3 to Reverse

T3,

> >> > which is why I joined this group. My total T3 was 1.17, Free T3 was

> >> > and Reverse T3 was 203.

> >> >

> >> > The other subject I keep running into is adrenal fatigue. However, the

> >> > websites where I¹ve found information on adrenal fatigue all appear to

want

> >> > to sell you things, so I kind of distrust the information I¹m getting

> >> there.

> >> >

> >> > I did a search of this group¹s posts and saw a number of posts on

> >> > CFS/Fibromyalgia (which I think are really the same thing), but I¹d love

to

> >> > pick all of your brains about the intersection of CFS/Fibro, adrenal

issues

> >> > and thyroid issues. Any thoughts?

> >> >

> >> > Thanks so much.

> >> >

> >> > Lee

> >> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

>

Guest guest

Sorry, Pat! You're much younger than I thought!

Dave

~~ Available now! -- A Time To Build -- From Desert Breeze Publishing ~~

Marshall is stunned when Hallie Grover returns to town, thirteen years

after he committed perhaps the biggest mistake of his life. Or was it? While

recognizes Hallie, she doesn't recognize him. never gave God much

thought, until Hallie came back into his life. Can a tainted past become a

hopeful future? Can two people build on patience, and love?

Visit: http://www.authordavidbond.com

Other available books:

The Attaché -- January, 2012

Upcoming books:

SWEET MUSIC -- October, 2012

A TIME TO HEAL -- February, 2013

OUT OF THE DESERT -- July, 2013

A TIME TO DANCE -- November, 2013

Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the list and a very recently diagnosed visually impaired

diabetic. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, as I am not

adjusting very well to the fact that I am a diabetic.

I guess I will just jump right in and give you some random info and

hopefully everything will somehow be somewhat coherent when I am through.

My name is Lynn Mester-Shields. I lived near Pittsburgh, PA, all of my life,

until 2007. I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I am a Low

Vision Technician at the Community Low Vision Center, Winston-Salem

Industries for the Blind. I love my job and very much enjoy helping others.

My current husband, Shields, formerly from Colorado, is a totally

blind diabetic. My first husband Bob Mester, passed away in 2003 from a

heart attack and complications of diabetes, paying the ultimate price for

not taking proper actions to control the diabetes.

I was diagnosed with diabetes on July 7, 2012 with a finger stick level of

330. I also had a urinary tract infection and that is how the diabetes was

discovered.

As of now I am on tree meds, and hopefully that will be the limit. My body

does not do well with meds and I usually try to avoid taking them unless

absolutely necessary. I know all the things I sure do and am trying very

hard to change my eating habits and do all the other proper things to keep

my levels as low as possible.

Something I do need some assistance with is selecting a glucometer. I do not

necessarily need one that talks, but that would be fine if it would talk. I

don't even really need a large display, but that would be fine as well. I am

looking for one that I can test on alternate sites besides the fingers. I

type a lot at work and home and also lift boxes and pack orders at work, so

I really want to keep my fingers as pain free as possible.

I know my Humana plan covers some Prodigy meters and another one called

something life Life Scan, or something on that order. Any suggestions will

be greatly appreciated.

I have good days and bad days since being diagnosed. I really have been

quite depressed a great deal of the time because I am usually the one giving

the help. Now I am the one needing assistance. The biggest problem I am

having is the fact that the diabetes now controls my life. That is a very

difficult reality for me.

Well, I think I have rambled enough. Please feel free to ask questions of

me, or pass along any information or advice if you would be so kind to do

so.

Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

Lynn Mester-Shields

Guest guest

Hello, Lynn,

This business of diabetics is quite difficult. We can sugar-coat it and

say it is manageable, which is about the best of the words available

that I could say. It's worse than a terrible three-year-old, than a

complaining, elderly parent, than a bossy sister, or a jealous lover,

because you can get away from all these for a time but diabetes dogs

you at every turn. You can't put it down or get a sitter for it. And

like a jealous lover, it can be dangerous, even fatal. Unlike those,

however, there are some rules that it follows most of the time. On this

list you will find knowledgeable people, beginners, people asking

questions and experimenting and a good bit of humor, as well as

information that helps us keep our D-demon more or less in his box.

About the glucometer, you might look for demonstrations of the various

ones on the internet. Try some Youtube searches for such things as

" blood sugar meter, " " blood sugar monitor, " blood glucose monitor, " and

such and see which meters strike your fancy. If you don't like the

meter, this makes it harder to make it your friend.

Let us know how it all goes on.

Dotty

Guest guest

Hello, Lynn,

Dotty

Guest guest

About 800,000 years!

_____

[mailto:blind-diabetics ] On Behalf Of dave Bond

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:44 PM

To: blind-diabetics

Subject: Re: Introduction

Dave

recognizes Hallie, she doesn't recognize him. never gave God

much thought, until Hallie came back into his life. Can a tainted past

become a hopeful future? Can two people build on patience, and love?

Other available books:

Upcoming books:

Introduction

Hello Everyone,

discovered.

be greatly appreciated.

so.

Lynn Mester-Shields

Guest guest

About 800,000 years!

_____

[mailto:blind-diabetics ] On Behalf Of dave Bond

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:44 PM

To: blind-diabetics

Subject: Re: Introduction

Dave

recognizes Hallie, she doesn't recognize him. never gave God

much thought, until Hallie came back into his life. Can a tainted past

become a hopeful future? Can two people build on patience, and love?

Other available books:

Upcoming books:

Introduction

Hello Everyone,

discovered.

be greatly appreciated.

so.

Lynn Mester-Shields

Guest guest

It is just like the old man Dave always says! it is the 24 seven disease.

well maybe I shouldn't say he is the old man at 55. this is only five years pass

half of 100. Grandpa CY is the real old guy at 93 and still kicking!

Re: Introduction

Hello, Lynn,

Dotty

Guest guest

It is just like the old man Dave always says! it is the 24 seven disease.

well maybe I shouldn't say he is the old man at 55. this is only five years pass

half of 100. Grandpa CY is the real old guy at 93 and still kicking!

Re: Introduction

Hello, Lynn,

Dotty

Guest guest

Well, may I join the party? the peole seem nice and you all have your

glucometer, well, most of you, so I thought I " d join you. First of all,

someone was asking about not doing fingers where reading braille. I

dont know hwho or when. I use the sides of my fingers, all of the time,

and I read braille just as good as I ever have. oh, for those who

don'tknow me I am Vicki Meizinger, diagnosed in 2005 3 days after I got

married. We are both diabetic.

I do wan tto ask a question of any of you who know theanswer toit

lately when my sugar goes up because I ate something I shouldn't hve, it

does not go down in the morning as well as it used to, in fact sometimes

hardly at all. I controllmy7 diabetes with my diet and exercise, and

have done pretty well, though not erfectly. I am wondering whether this

is a sign that the pancreas isn't working as well, or does it just mean

I need more exercise or a little less food? I need to lose weight

too,and have lost some, but not enough. Any help would be appreciated

and I hope to be able to give back help in other situations. Well I'll

take my diet soda and run, but see you all later.

Vicki Meizinger

>

> Well, Lynn, welcome to a great group. There are a number of type 2's

> in the

> group and a few type 1's. I have been diabetic since Sept. 1944. I teach

>

> Diabetic education class at the Braille Institute in L.A.

>

> You are in charge of your diabetes, not the other way around. Do as much

> testing as possible to see how different foods, particularly carbohydrate

> food affect your BG. If your doc has not sent you to a diabetic education

> class, please ask him to do so.

>

> Ask questions here and someone can help either by answering or giving

> you a

> referral.

>

> Hang in there and get as much education as you can on this disease.

>

> _____

>

> From: blind-diabetics

> <mailto:blind-diabetics%40yahoogroups.com>

> [mailto:blind-diabetics

> <mailto:blind-diabetics%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Lynn

> Mester-Shields

> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:53 PM

> To: blind-diabetics

> Subject: Introduction

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

> I am new to the list and a very recently diagnosed visually impaired

> diabetic. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, as I am not

> adjusting very well to the fact that I am a diabetic.

>

> I guess I will just jump right in and give you some random info and

> hopefully everything will somehow be somewhat coherent when I am through.

>

> My name is Lynn Mester-Shields. I lived near Pittsburgh, PA, all of my

> life,

> until 2007. I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I am a Low

> Vision Technician at the Community Low Vision Center, Winston-Salem

> Industries for the Blind. I love my job and very much enjoy helping

> others.

>

> My current husband, Shields, formerly from Colorado, is a totally

> blind diabetic. My first husband Bob Mester, passed away in 2003 from a

> heart attack and complications of diabetes, paying the ultimate price for

> not taking proper actions to control the diabetes.

>

> I was diagnosed with diabetes on July 7, 2012 with a finger stick level of

> 330. I also had a urinary tract infection and that is how the diabetes was

> discovered.

>

> As of now I am on tree meds, and hopefully that will be the limit. My body

> does not do well with meds and I usually try to avoid taking them unless

> absolutely necessary. I know all the things I sure do and am trying very

> hard to change my eating habits and do all the other proper things to keep

> my levels as low as possible.

>

> Something I do need some assistance with is selecting a glucometer. I

> do not

> necessarily need one that talks, but that would be fine if it would

> talk. I

> don't even really need a large display, but that would be fine as

> well. I am

> looking for one that I can test on alternate sites besides the fingers. I

> type a lot at work and home and also lift boxes and pack orders at

> work, so

> I really want to keep my fingers as pain free as possible.

>

> I know my Humana plan covers some Prodigy meters and another one called

> something life Life Scan, or something on that order. Any suggestions will

> be greatly appreciated.

>

> I have good days and bad days since being diagnosed. I really have been

> quite depressed a great deal of the time because I am usually the one

> giving

> the help. Now I am the one needing assistance. The biggest problem I am

> having is the fact that the diabetes now controls my life. That is a very

> difficult reality for me.

>

> Well, I think I have rambled enough. Please feel free to ask questions of

> me, or pass along any information or advice if you would be so kind to do

> so.

>

> Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

>

> Lynn Mester-Shields

>

>

Guest guest

Well, may I join the party? the peole seem nice and you all have your

glucometer, well, most of you, so I thought I " d join you. First of all,

someone was asking about not doing fingers where reading braille. I

dont know hwho or when. I use the sides of my fingers, all of the time,

and I read braille just as good as I ever have. oh, for those who

don'tknow me I am Vicki Meizinger, diagnosed in 2005 3 days after I got

married. We are both diabetic.

I do wan tto ask a question of any of you who know theanswer toit

lately when my sugar goes up because I ate something I shouldn't hve, it

does not go down in the morning as well as it used to, in fact sometimes

hardly at all. I controllmy7 diabetes with my diet and exercise, and

have done pretty well, though not erfectly. I am wondering whether this

is a sign that the pancreas isn't working as well, or does it just mean

I need more exercise or a little less food? I need to lose weight

too,and have lost some, but not enough. Any help would be appreciated

and I hope to be able to give back help in other situations. Well I'll

take my diet soda and run, but see you all later.

Vicki Meizinger

>

> Well, Lynn, welcome to a great group. There are a number of type 2's

> in the

> group and a few type 1's. I have been diabetic since Sept. 1944. I teach

>

> Diabetic education class at the Braille Institute in L.A.

>

> You are in charge of your diabetes, not the other way around. Do as much

> testing as possible to see how different foods, particularly carbohydrate

> food affect your BG. If your doc has not sent you to a diabetic education

> class, please ask him to do so.

>

> Ask questions here and someone can help either by answering or giving

> you a

> referral.

>

> Hang in there and get as much education as you can on this disease.

>

> _____

>

> From: blind-diabetics

> [mailto:blind-diabetics

> <mailto:blind-diabetics%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Lynn

> Mester-Shields

> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:53 PM

> To: blind-diabetics

> Subject: Introduction

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

>

>

> life,

> others.

>

>

> discovered.

>

>

> do not

> talk. I

> well. I am

> work, so

>

>

> giving

>

> so.

>

>

> Lynn Mester-Shields

>

>

Guest guest

My dentist told me that teeth can get bad with diabetes too.

Becky

Introduction

>>

>> Hello Everyone,

>>

>> I am new to the list and a very recently diagnosed visually impaired

>> diabetic. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, as I am not

>> adjusting very well to the fact that I am a diabetic.

>>

>> I guess I will just jump right in and give you some random info and

>> hopefully everything will somehow be somewhat coherent when I am through.

>>

>> My name is Lynn Mester-Shields. I lived near Pittsburgh, PA, all of my

>> life,

>> until 2007. I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I am a Low

>> Vision Technician at the Community Low Vision Center, Winston-Salem

>> Industries for the Blind. I love my job and very much enjoy helping

>> others.

>>

>> My current husband, Shields, formerly from Colorado, is a totally

>> blind diabetic. My first husband Bob Mester, passed away in 2003 from a

>> heart attack and complications of diabetes, paying the ultimate price for

>> not taking proper actions to control the diabetes.

>>

>> I was diagnosed with diabetes on July 7, 2012 with a finger stick level

>> of

>> 330. I also had a urinary tract infection and that is how the diabetes

>> was

>> discovered.

>>

>> As of now I am on tree meds, and hopefully that will be the limit. My

>> body

>> does not do well with meds and I usually try to avoid taking them unless

>> absolutely necessary. I know all the things I sure do and am trying very

>> hard to change my eating habits and do all the other proper things to

>> keep

>> my levels as low as possible.

>>

>> Something I do need some assistance with is selecting a glucometer. I

>> do not

>> necessarily need one that talks, but that would be fine if it would

>> talk. I

>> don't even really need a large display, but that would be fine as

>> well. I am

>> looking for one that I can test on alternate sites besides the fingers. I

>> type a lot at work and home and also lift boxes and pack orders at

>> work, so

>> I really want to keep my fingers as pain free as possible.

>>

>> I know my Humana plan covers some Prodigy meters and another one called

>> something life Life Scan, or something on that order. Any suggestions

>> will

>> be greatly appreciated.

>>

>> I have good days and bad days since being diagnosed. I really have been

>> quite depressed a great deal of the time because I am usually the one

>> giving

>> the help. Now I am the one needing assistance. The biggest problem I am

>> having is the fact that the diabetes now controls my life. That is a very

>> difficult reality for me.

>>

>> Well, I think I have rambled enough. Please feel free to ask questions of

>> me, or pass along any information or advice if you would be so kind to do

>> so.

>>

>> Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

>>

>> Lynn Mester-Shields

>>

>>

Guest guest

My dentist told me that teeth can get bad with diabetes too.

Becky

Introduction

>>

>> Hello Everyone,

>>

>> I am new to the list and a very recently diagnosed visually impaired

>> diabetic. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, as I am not

>> adjusting very well to the fact that I am a diabetic.

>>

>> I guess I will just jump right in and give you some random info and

>> hopefully everything will somehow be somewhat coherent when I am through.

>>

>> My name is Lynn Mester-Shields. I lived near Pittsburgh, PA, all of my

>> life,

>> until 2007. I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I am a Low

>> Vision Technician at the Community Low Vision Center, Winston-Salem

>> Industries for the Blind. I love my job and very much enjoy helping

>> others.

>>

>> My current husband, Shields, formerly from Colorado, is a totally

>> blind diabetic. My first husband Bob Mester, passed away in 2003 from a

>> heart attack and complications of diabetes, paying the ultimate price for

>> not taking proper actions to control the diabetes.

>>

>> I was diagnosed with diabetes on July 7, 2012 with a finger stick level

>> of

>> 330. I also had a urinary tract infection and that is how the diabetes

>> was

>> discovered.

>>

>> As of now I am on tree meds, and hopefully that will be the limit. My

>> body

>> does not do well with meds and I usually try to avoid taking them unless

>> absolutely necessary. I know all the things I sure do and am trying very

>> hard to change my eating habits and do all the other proper things to

>> keep

>> my levels as low as possible.

>>

>> Something I do need some assistance with is selecting a glucometer. I

>> do not

>> necessarily need one that talks, but that would be fine if it would

>> talk. I

>> don't even really need a large display, but that would be fine as

>> well. I am

>> looking for one that I can test on alternate sites besides the fingers. I

>> type a lot at work and home and also lift boxes and pack orders at

>> work, so

>> I really want to keep my fingers as pain free as possible.

>>

>> I know my Humana plan covers some Prodigy meters and another one called

>> something life Life Scan, or something on that order. Any suggestions

>> will

>> be greatly appreciated.

>>

>> I have good days and bad days since being diagnosed. I really have been

>> quite depressed a great deal of the time because I am usually the one

>> giving

>> the help. Now I am the one needing assistance. The biggest problem I am

>> having is the fact that the diabetes now controls my life. That is a very

>> difficult reality for me.

>>

>> Well, I think I have rambled enough. Please feel free to ask questions of

>> me, or pass along any information or advice if you would be so kind to do

>> so.

>>

>> Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

>>

>> Lynn Mester-Shields

>>

>>

Guest guest

And to think, I didn't think you looked a day over 500,000!

Dave

Other available books:

Upcoming books:

Introduction

Hello Everyone,

discovered.

be greatly appreciated.

so.

Lynn Mester-Shields

Guest guest

And to think, I didn't think you looked a day over 500,000!

Dave

Other available books:

Upcoming books:

Introduction

Hello Everyone,

discovered.

be greatly appreciated.

so.

Lynn Mester-Shields

Guest guest

Vicki,

Talk to your hubby. Maybe we need to start the old Saturday morning call in

program again!

You say you're not on any meds or insulin? Well, if you are a diagnosed

diabetic, this is pretty remarkable. I'd say weight could definitely be playing

havoc with your control. But, you may simply need to be on some oral medication

or insulin. And of course, exercise is always a good thing.

Dave

Other available books:

Upcoming books:

Introduction

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

>

>

> life,

> others.

>

>

> discovered.

>

>

> do not

> talk. I

> well. I am

> work, so

>

>

> giving

>

> so.

>

>

> Lynn Mester-Shields

>

>

Guest guest

Vicki,

Talk to your hubby. Maybe we need to start the old Saturday morning call in

program again!

You say you're not on any meds or insulin? Well, if you are a diagnosed

diabetic, this is pretty remarkable. I'd say weight could definitely be playing

havoc with your control. But, you may simply need to be on some oral medication

or insulin. And of course, exercise is always a good thing.

Dave

Other available books:

Upcoming books:

Introduction

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

>

>

> life,

> others.

>

>

> discovered.

>

>

> do not

> talk. I

> well. I am

> work, so

>

>

> giving

>

> so.

>

>

> Lynn Mester-Shields

>

>

Guest guest

Hi DAve, I will talk to him bout it. thanks for all of your input.

Vicki Meizinger

>

> Vicki,

>

> Talk to your hubby. Maybe we need to start the old Saturday morning

> call in program again!

>

> You say you're not on any meds or insulin? Well, if you are a

> diagnosed diabetic, this is pretty remarkable. I'd say weight could

> definitely be playing havoc with your control. But, you may simply

> need to be on some oral medication or insulin. And of course, exercise

> is always a good thing.

>

> Dave

>

> ~~ Available now! -- A Time To Build -- From Desert Breeze Publishing ~~

>

> Marshall is stunned when Hallie Grover returns to town, thirteen

> years after he committed perhaps the biggest mistake of his life. Or

> was it? While recognizes Hallie, she doesn't recognize him.

> never gave God much thought, until Hallie came back into his

> life. Can a tainted past become a hopeful future? Can two people build

> on patience, and love?

>

> Visit: http://www.authordavidbond.com

>

> Other available books:

>

> The Attaché -- January, 2012

>

> Upcoming books:

>

> SWEET MUSIC -- October, 2012

> A TIME TO HEAL -- February, 2013

> OUT OF THE DESERT -- July, 2013

> A TIME TO DANCE -- November, 2013

>

> Introduction

> >

> > Hello Everyone,

> >

> > I am new to the list and a very recently diagnosed visually impaired

> > diabetic. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, as I am not

> > adjusting very well to the fact that I am a diabetic.

> >

> > I guess I will just jump right in and give you some random info and

> > hopefully everything will somehow be somewhat coherent when I am

> through.

> >

> > My name is Lynn Mester-Shields. I lived near Pittsburgh, PA, all of my

> > life,

> > until 2007. I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I am

> a Low

> > Vision Technician at the Community Low Vision Center, Winston-Salem

> > Industries for the Blind. I love my job and very much enjoy helping

> > others.

> >

> > My current husband, Shields, formerly from Colorado, is a totally

> > blind diabetic. My first husband Bob Mester, passed away in 2003 from a

> > heart attack and complications of diabetes, paying the ultimate

> price for

> > not taking proper actions to control the diabetes.

> >

> > I was diagnosed with diabetes on July 7, 2012 with a finger stick

> level of

> > 330. I also had a urinary tract infection and that is how the

> diabetes was

> > discovered.

> >

> > As of now I am on tree meds, and hopefully that will be the limit.

> My body

> > does not do well with meds and I usually try to avoid taking them unless

> > absolutely necessary. I know all the things I sure do and am trying very

> > hard to change my eating habits and do all the other proper things

> to keep

> > my levels as low as possible.

> >

> > Something I do need some assistance with is selecting a glucometer. I

> > do not

> > necessarily need one that talks, but that would be fine if it would

> > talk. I

> > don't even really need a large display, but that would be fine as

> > well. I am

> > looking for one that I can test on alternate sites besides the

> fingers. I

> > type a lot at work and home and also lift boxes and pack orders at

> > work, so

> > I really want to keep my fingers as pain free as possible.

> >

> > I know my Humana plan covers some Prodigy meters and another one called

> > something life Life Scan, or something on that order. Any

> suggestions will

> > be greatly appreciated.

> >

> > I have good days and bad days since being diagnosed. I really have been

> > quite depressed a great deal of the time because I am usually the one

> > giving

> > the help. Now I am the one needing assistance. The biggest problem I am

> > having is the fact that the diabetes now controls my life. That is a

> very

> > difficult reality for me.

> >

> > Well, I think I have rambled enough. Please feel free to ask

> questions of

> > me, or pass along any information or advice if you would be so kind

> to do

> > so.

> >

> > Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

> >

> > Lynn Mester-Shields

> >

> >

Guest guest

Hi DAve, I will talk to him bout it. thanks for all of your input.

Vicki Meizinger

>

> Vicki,

>

> Talk to your hubby. Maybe we need to start the old Saturday morning

> call in program again!

>

> You say you're not on any meds or insulin? Well, if you are a

> diagnosed diabetic, this is pretty remarkable. I'd say weight could

> definitely be playing havoc with your control. But, you may simply

> need to be on some oral medication or insulin. And of course, exercise

> is always a good thing.

>

> Dave

>

> ~~ Available now! -- A Time To Build -- From Desert Breeze Publishing ~~

>

> Marshall is stunned when Hallie Grover returns to town, thirteen

> years after he committed perhaps the biggest mistake of his life. Or

> was it? While recognizes Hallie, she doesn't recognize him.

> never gave God much thought, until Hallie came back into his

> life. Can a tainted past become a hopeful future? Can two people build

> on patience, and love?

>

> Visit: http://www.authordavidbond.com

>

> Other available books:

>

> The Attaché -- January, 2012

>

> Upcoming books:

>

> SWEET MUSIC -- October, 2012

> A TIME TO HEAL -- February, 2013

> OUT OF THE DESERT -- July, 2013

> A TIME TO DANCE -- November, 2013

>

> Introduction

> >

> > Hello Everyone,

> >

> > I am new to the list and a very recently diagnosed visually impaired

> > diabetic. This is going to be a very difficult post for me, as I am not

> > adjusting very well to the fact that I am a diabetic.

> >

> > I guess I will just jump right in and give you some random info and

> > hopefully everything will somehow be somewhat coherent when I am

> through.

> >

> > My name is Lynn Mester-Shields. I lived near Pittsburgh, PA, all of my

> > life,

> > until 2007. I now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I am

> a Low

> > Vision Technician at the Community Low Vision Center, Winston-Salem

> > Industries for the Blind. I love my job and very much enjoy helping

> > others.

> >

> > My current husband, Shields, formerly from Colorado, is a totally

> > blind diabetic. My first husband Bob Mester, passed away in 2003 from a

> > heart attack and complications of diabetes, paying the ultimate

> price for

> > not taking proper actions to control the diabetes.

> >

> > I was diagnosed with diabetes on July 7, 2012 with a finger stick

> level of

> > 330. I also had a urinary tract infection and that is how the

> diabetes was

> > discovered.

> >

> > As of now I am on tree meds, and hopefully that will be the limit.

> My body

> > does not do well with meds and I usually try to avoid taking them unless

> > absolutely necessary. I know all the things I sure do and am trying very

> > hard to change my eating habits and do all the other proper things

> to keep

> > my levels as low as possible.

> >

> > Something I do need some assistance with is selecting a glucometer. I

> > do not

> > necessarily need one that talks, but that would be fine if it would

> > talk. I

> > don't even really need a large display, but that would be fine as

> > well. I am

> > looking for one that I can test on alternate sites besides the

> fingers. I

> > type a lot at work and home and also lift boxes and pack orders at

> > work, so

> > I really want to keep my fingers as pain free as possible.

> >

> > I know my Humana plan covers some Prodigy meters and another one called

> > something life Life Scan, or something on that order. Any

> suggestions will

> > be greatly appreciated.

> >

> > I have good days and bad days since being diagnosed. I really have been

> > quite depressed a great deal of the time because I am usually the one

> > giving

> > the help. Now I am the one needing assistance. The biggest problem I am

> > having is the fact that the diabetes now controls my life. That is a

> very

> > difficult reality for me.

> >

> > Well, I think I have rambled enough. Please feel free to ask

> questions of

> > me, or pass along any information or advice if you would be so kind

> to do

> > so.

> >

> > Hope everyone is well and having a good day.

> >

> > Lynn Mester-Shields

> >

> >