RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Eggplant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is it baba ghanoush?No, I don't think so. Baba ghanoush [at our farmer's market] is very white in color. The dip I love is very red. In fact....I didn't know about the eggplant until it was all eaten!! And doesn't baba ghanoush have some plain yogurt in it too?

FWIW, Trader Joe's sells a dip/sread called Pinjur that doesn't have any nuts in it and seems to have the red peppers. I bought some last time I was in land. Check it's GF status to be sure.

Dawne

Guest guest

Last night I brought up the subject of Eggplant with my husband. I asked if he'd ever had it and what he thought of it.

He said he had it before and it wasn't something he was crazy about. However it might make a difference on how it's prepared.

He said it's mostly the texture that he didn't care for. Well if it's sort of like mushrooms and he eats those when used in a good recipe, maybe he'll like the recipe I'm going to make. He does like all the other ingredients. He was also surprised that I had never tried it before, guess it was because I don't recall ever having it as a kid.

So tonight my family is having Eggplant...and for all but my DH it will be a first time!

I got all fresh ingredients and the recipe ready to go... I sure hope it's as tasty as it looks on paper!! More so I hope it's a hit with everyone as it will give us another GF dish.

:-)

Guest guest

>

> What does an eggplant taste like?

It has a bitter taste and an odd texture. I like it ground up in dips

or cooked with cheese and a red chunky sauce. My mother used to make

it by battering it and deep frying it when I was a kid.

Guest guest

If you cook the heck out of it, it is soft and yummy - not bitter at all. Also, letting it stand with salt on top for a while before you cook it helps.

--Trudy San , CA "People who believe in absurdities will eventually commit atrocities." ~Voltaire

-------------- Original message -------------- >> What does an eggplant taste like?It has a bitter taste and an odd texture. I like it ground up in dips or cooked with cheese and a red chunky sauce. My mother used to make it by battering it and deep frying it when I was a kid.

Guest guest

If you cook the heck out of it, it is soft and yummy - not bitter at all. Also, letting it stand with salt on top for a while before you cook it helps.

--Trudy San , CA "People who believe in absurdities will eventually commit atrocities." ~Voltaire

-------------- Original message -------------- >> What does an eggplant taste like?It has a bitter taste and an odd texture. I like it ground up in dips or cooked with cheese and a red chunky sauce. My mother used to make it by battering it and deep frying it when I was a kid.

Guest guest

Guest guest

Oh goodness!! I hope we haven't led you astray!

Better have a back up! : ) Some like it , some

dont. Good Luck!!

kathi

--- " :-) " wrote:

> Last night I brought up the subject of Eggplant with

> my husband. I asked if he'd ever had it and what he

> thought of it.

> He said he had it before and it wasn't something he

> was crazy about. However it might make a difference

> on how it's prepared.

> He said it's mostly the texture that he didn't care

> for. Well if it's sort of like mushrooms and he eats

> those when used in a good recipe, maybe he'll like

> the recipe I'm going to make. He does like all the

> other ingredients. He was also surprised that I had

> never tried it before, guess it was because I don't

> recall ever having it as a kid.

>

> So tonight my family is having Eggplant...and for

> all but my DH it will be a first time!

> I got all fresh ingredients and the recipe ready to

> go... I sure hope it's as tasty as it looks on

> paper!! More so I hope it's a hit with everyone as

> it will give us another GF dish.

>

>

> :-)

Guest guest

dont. Good Luck!!

kathi

> thought of it.

> on how it's prepared.

>

>

>

Guest guest

dont. Good Luck!!

kathi

> thought of it.

> on how it's prepared.

>

>

>

Guest guest

Well, I'm not too worried, the recipe that I'm trying it with sounds so good that even if everyone picks out and leaves the eggplant behind the potatoes and peppers should still be tasty. Hopefully that won't be the case and we'll all enjoy every bite. I'll let you know when the results are in.

:-) in VA

Re: Eggplant

Oh goodness!! I hope we haven't led you astray! Better have a back up! : ) Some like it , somedont. Good Luck!!kathi--- ":-)" wrote:> Last night I brought up the subject of Eggplant with> my husband. I asked if he'd ever had it and what he> thought of it.> He said he had it before and it wasn't something he> was crazy about. However it might make a difference> on how it's prepared.> He said it's mostly the texture that he didn't care> for. Well if it's sort of like mushrooms and he eats> those when used in a good recipe, maybe he'll like> the recipe I'm going to make. He does like all the> other ingredients. He was also surprised that I had> never tried it before, guess it was because I don't> recall ever having it as a kid. > > So tonight my family is having Eggplant...and for> all but my DH it will be a first time!> I got all fresh ingredients and the recipe ready to> go... I sure hope it's as tasty as it looks on> paper!! More so I hope it's a hit with everyone as> it will give us another GF dish.> > > :-)

Guest guest

Do you think I should let it stand with salt if I'm cooking it with red peppers and poblano pepper and tomatoes and garlic?

If so I'll do that first. I love everything in the recipe except the eggplant (only because I've never had it before) so I can't imagine it not tasting good.

Re: Re: Eggplant

Guest guest

Do you think I should let it stand with salt if I'm cooking it with red peppers and poblano pepper and tomatoes and garlic?

If so I'll do that first. I love everything in the recipe except the eggplant (only because I've never had it before) so I can't imagine it not tasting good.

Re: Re: Eggplant

Guest guest

I don't know if your recipe mentions this, but prior to cooking, salt both sides of your sliced eggplant with kosher salt, place in a colander over a bowl to catch liquid and weight it with something (I usually cover the eggplant with a paper towel and place a large can of food on top). It should take about 30 minutes. This will reduce the bitterness of the eggplant before cooking. Texture wise, I would say eggplant is closest to zuchhini or squash in general but it definitely has its own unique taste. Hope your family enjoys their new culinary experience (and I definitely hope your kids aren't as picky as mine!)

Last night I brought up the subject of Eggplant with my husband. I asked if he'd ever had it and what he thought of it.

He said he had it before and it wasn't something he was crazy about. However it might make a difference on how it's prepared.

He said it's mostly the texture that he didn't care for. Well if it's sort of like mushrooms and he eats those when used in a good recipe, maybe he'll like the recipe I'm going to make. He does like all the other ingredients. He was also surprised that I had never tried it before, guess it was because I don't recall ever having it as a kid.

So tonight my family is having Eggplant...and for all but my DH it will be a first time!

I got all fresh ingredients and the recipe ready to go... I sure hope it's as tasty as it looks on paper!! More so I hope it's a hit with everyone as it will give us another GF dish.

Guest guest

I don't know if your recipe mentions this, but prior to cooking, salt both sides of your sliced eggplant with kosher salt, place in a colander over a bowl to catch liquid and weight it with something (I usually cover the eggplant with a paper towel and place a large can of food on top). It should take about 30 minutes. This will reduce the bitterness of the eggplant before cooking. Texture wise, I would say eggplant is closest to zuchhini or squash in general but it definitely has its own unique taste. Hope your family enjoys their new culinary experience (and I definitely hope your kids aren't as picky as mine!)

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don't plan on salting it. Just cook with the rest

of the ing's. Probably the tomato will take care of

any bitterness.

I only got bitterness when it was cooked by itself

like in fried eggplant......

kathi

> Do you think I should let it stand with salt if I'm

> cooking it with red peppers and poblano pepper and

> tomatoes and garlic?

> If so I'll do that first. I love everything in the

> recipe except the eggplant (only because I've never

> had it before) so I can't imagine it not tasting

> good.

> :-) in VA

> Re: Re: Eggplant

>

>

> If you cook the heck out of it, it is soft and

> yummy - not bitter at all. Also, letting it stand

> with salt on top for a while before you cook it

> helps.

>

> --

> Trudy

> San , CA

>

> " People who believe in absurdities will eventually

> commit atrocities. " ~Voltaire

>

> -------------- Original message --------------

>

>

> >

> > What does an eggplant taste like?

>

>

>

> It has a bitter taste and an odd texture. I

> like it ground up in dips

> or cooked with cheese and a red chunky sauce.

> My mother used to make

> it by battering it and deep frying it when I was

> a kid.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

So tonight my family is having Eggplant...and for all but my DH it will be a first time! I got all fresh ingredients and the recipe ready to go... I sure hope it's as tasty as it looks on paper!! More so I hope it's a hit with everyone as it will give us another GF dish.

Let us know how it goes.

dawne

Guest guest

So tonight my family is having Eggplant...and for all but my DH it will be a first time! I got all fresh ingredients and the recipe ready to go... I sure hope it's as tasty as it looks on paper!! More so I hope it's a hit with everyone as it will give us another GF dish.

Let us know how it goes.

dawne

Guest guest

The older an eggplant is, the more likely it is to have a bitter

flavor. You can salt it and let it drain out the bitter juices before

preparation to avoid this flavor. Just remember to rinse off the salt

and cut down the salt in your recipe afterwards.

Young, fresh eggplant or the asian varieties (skinny and long) do not

tend to be bitter.

Eggplant is best (in my opinion) marinated or roasted. To roast

eggplant for baba ganoush or other mashed type recipes, you can broil

or grill it with the skin on and then remove the skin and use the mushy

and smokey center. Eggplant is often fried, but it is a demon for

soaking up oil, even more so than potatoes, so be warned to limit its

access to oil... it can easily become too oily.

Actually, when I first met my husband, he hated eggplant and said that

he thought it tasted like... er, arse, actually. Cough cough. Alton

Brown compares the flavor of the bitter juices to an ashtray. BUT after

i prepared it marinated and broiled for my DH he was willing to eat it

and even said it was good.

> >

> > What does an eggplant taste like?

>

>

>

> It has a bitter taste and an odd texture. I like it ground up in

dips

> or cooked with cheese and a red chunky sauce. My mother used to make

> it by battering it and deep frying it when I was a kid.

>

>

>

Guest guest

Kathi,

Please post the eggplant recipe to the message board and I'll get it

posted to the FILES section (under recipes).

Melonie :)

>

> I have an eggplant I need to eat!! Anyone have a favorite

fabulous

> recipe I can use it up with? I've done the pasta sauce already.

> I just love eggplant but can't ever think of a way to make it that

> won't break my calorie bank!! I have a great souffle recipe btw.

>

> TIA!!

>

> kathi

>

Guest guest

Oops! I just found my recipe and see that it's got the dreaded FLOUR in it!! Wonder what would happen if I use some Bob's Red mill gf flour? Heck, it's only 2T. You make like a roux. You know how on the Haagen Daz tub it says serves 4? Well if you really like this as I do it'll only feed you twice! Guess this is what I'll use that eggplant for and try it with Bob's. Eggplant Souffle 1 large eggplant salt 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons flour 1 cup milk 2 eggs freshly ground pepper, to taste 1/2 cup american cheese, grated 1. Peel and cut eggplant into chunks. Place in large saucepan with salted water to cover. Bring to boil and cook over medium heat until tender. Drain well, place in a large bowl and mash. 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour and cook 1 minute. Meanwhile, in a medium-size bowl, beat together milk and egg yolks. Add milk mixture to butter mixture and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick. Stir this mixture into mashed eggplant. Season with salt and pepper. 3. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into eggplant mixture. Pour into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole and bake at 350ºF until firm, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top and return to oven to melt cheese. Serve hot. Makes 8-10 servings onesillyyak wrote: Kathi,Please post the eggplant recipe to the message board and I'll get it posted to the FILES section (under recipes).Melonie :)>> I have an eggplant I need to eat!! Anyone have a favorite fabulous > recipe I can use it up with? I've done the pasta sauce already.> I just love eggplant but can't ever think of a way to make it that > won't break my calorie bank!! I have a great souffle recipe btw.> > TIA!!> > kathi>

Guest guest

Oops! I just found my recipe and see that it's got the dreaded FLOUR in it!! Wonder what would happen if I use some Bob's Red mill gf flour? Heck, it's only 2T. You make like a roux. You know how on the Haagen Daz tub it says serves 4? Well if you really like this as I do it'll only feed you twice! Guess this is what I'll use that eggplant for and try it with Bob's. Eggplant Souffle 1 large eggplant salt 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons flour 1 cup milk 2 eggs freshly ground pepper, to taste 1/2 cup american cheese, grated 1. Peel and cut eggplant into chunks. Place in large saucepan with salted water to cover. Bring to boil and cook over medium heat until tender. Drain well, place in a large bowl and mash. 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour and cook 1 minute. Meanwhile, in a medium-size bowl, beat together milk and egg yolks. Add milk mixture to butter mixture and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick. Stir this mixture into mashed eggplant. Season with salt and pepper. 3. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into eggplant mixture. Pour into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole and bake at 350ºF until firm, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top and return to oven to melt cheese. Serve hot. Makes 8-10 servings onesillyyak wrote: Kathi,Please post the eggplant recipe to the message board and I'll get it posted to the FILES section (under recipes).Melonie :)>> I have an eggplant I need to eat!! Anyone have a favorite fabulous > recipe I can use it up with? I've done the pasta sauce already.> I just love eggplant but can't ever think of a way to make it that > won't break my calorie bank!! I have a great souffle recipe btw.> > TIA!!> > kathi>

Guest guest

Guest guest

with a recipe like that with a small amount of flour you can use almost

anything- brown or white rice, simple blends with bland flavor... I

might not use fancy or expensive mixes with bean flours 'cause they can

have a strong flavor (and you don't need 'em for that kind of recipe)

>

> Oops! I just found my recipe and see that it's got the dreaded FLOUR

in it!!

> Wonder what would happen if I use some Bob's Red mill gf flour?

Heck, it's only 2T.

Guest guest

I made it with Bob's...it's fine!! It didn't rise as much as I remembered it before, but it tastes fine! Cool!! We're good to go! Kathiseamaiden399 wrote: with a recipe like that with a small amount of flour you can use almost anything- brown or white rice, simple blends with bland flavor... I might not use fancy or expensive mixes with bean flours 'cause they can have a strong flavor (and you don't need 'em for that kind of recipe)>> Oops! I just found my recipe and see that it's got the dreaded FLOUR in it!!> Wonder what would happen if I use some Bob's Red mill gf flour? Heck, it's only 2T.