RemedySpot.com

Re: fasting, customizing thyroid care to your lifestyle and circumstance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fasting is not good unless you are fasting in preparation for labs....

Fasting reduces the energy level in the body/blood and reduces the body's ability to convert T4 to T3... remember T4 is the thyroid storage hormone and it must be converted to the active thyroid hormone T3... fasting causes that process to stop.

..... edging out on a ledge here... If I'm wrong.. my apologies again.... if you fast as part of a ritual or something.... you can compensate by taking additional T3.. it would depend on how long your fast is and/or how often you do it.... As a general rule.... eating small meals every three to four hours is best to ensure more even blood sugar, better conversion... and... seems to be a help for some that have issues with weight management.

That said.... how you choose to care for your thyroid issues also has to take into consideration lifestyles, families... all that fun stuff... learning the basics, determining how things affect your body and such... will be what you use to determine how you will dose, eat, exercise, etc.... No one can decide these things for you.... we hope to be able to give you the information you need to be able to make the best choices for yourself...

We have folks here that work days or nights. On the road, at home or at a work place... We have folks that can eat and dose multiple times per day and others whose schedules are anywhere from too hectic or too regulated to allow the supposed ideal schedules... Everyone has to figure it all out to suit them.... so if you are working on schedules, timing... that kind of stuff.... ask... we'll help you as best we can to figure it out....

Topper ()

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:10:15 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

hello,

i was reading at the website you gave me topper and i am confused about fasting. is it good to fast or not?

jamila

Fasting reduces the energy level in the body/blood and reduces the body's ability to convert T4 to T3... remember T4 is the thyroid storage hormone and it must be converted to the active thyroid hormone T3... fasting causes that process to stop.

..... edging out on a ledge here... If I'm wrong.. my apologies again.... if you fast as part of a ritual or something.... you can compensate by taking additional T3.. it would depend on how long your fast is and/or how often you do it.... As a general rule.... eating small meals every three to four hours is best to ensure more even blood sugar, better conversion... and... seems to be a help for some that have issues with weight management.

That said.... how you choose to care for your thyroid issues also has to take into consideration lifestyles, families... all that fun stuff... learning the basics, determining how things affect your body and such... will be what you use to determine how you will dose, eat, exercise, etc.... No one can decide these things for you.... we hope to be able to give you the information you need to be able to make the best choices for yourself...

We have folks here that work days or nights. On the road, at home or at a work place... We have folks that can eat and dose multiple times per day and others whose schedules are anywhere from too hectic or too regulated to allow the supposed ideal schedules... Everyone has to figure it all out to suit them.... so if you are working on schedules, timing... that kind of stuff.... ask... we'll help you as best we can to figure it out....

Topper ()

hello,

i was reading at the website you gave me topper and i am confused about fasting. is it good to fast or not?

jamila

Topper ()

hello,

jamila

Jamila wrote:

> Some days I break my fast because I feel so ill I cannot do anything.

> My doctors all said fasting is fine w/ hypothyroid, but I am wondering

> now if that isnt so true.

With hypothryoid its very important to eat regularly - not eating at the right

times will slow your metabolism further.

Fasting for blood tests is differnet since that is doen at night , not during

the day when your body expects fuel.

Alison

blog: http://alisonashwell.blogspot.com/

http://www.alisonashwell.com/

http://www.childrensillustrators.com/alisonashwell

http://www.artwanted.com/alisonashwell

In my opinion, when you are hypo, on replacement hormone, you need to eat to be able to give your body the energy needed for conversion... You still have to do what you feel is best for you.... but if there is a way to provide energy to your body for medical reasons, see if that can be set up.

You wouldn't need to eat full meals... but it's important to eat every few hours to maintain levels...

Fasting causes metabolic rate to slow down, and many body processes to slow as well... I would think that that would make the hypo symptoms even worse....

Is this fast done for one month out of the year?

Topper ()

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:17:24 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

I ask because I fast for one month from sun up to sun down everyday (for religion), except when pregnant or sick of course. The thing is, I always feel sick, dizzy, nausous, no energy. That is expected in the beginning of the month but I have it all month. Some days I break my fast because I feel so ill I cannot do anything. My doctors all said fasting is fine w/ hypothyroid, but I am wondering now if that isnt so true.

Thanks again,

Jamila

In my opinion, when you are hypo, on replacement hormone, you need to eat to be able to give your body the energy needed for conversion... You still have to do what you feel is best for you.... but if there is a way to provide energy to your body for medical reasons, see if that can be set up.

You wouldn't need to eat full meals... but it's important to eat every few hours to maintain levels...

Fasting causes metabolic rate to slow down, and many body processes to slow as well... I would think that that would make the hypo symptoms even worse....

Topper ()

I ask because I fast for one month from sun up to sun down everyday (for religion), except when pregnant or sick of course. The thing is, I always feel sick, dizzy, nausous, no energy. That is expected in the beginning of the month but I have it all month. Some days I break my fast because I feel so ill I cannot do anything. My doctors all said fasting is fine w/ hypothyroid, but I am wondering now if that isnt so true.

Thanks again,

Jamila

Topper ()

Thanks again,

Jamila

Maybe cuz your docs don't understand how the hormones work and how much fasting affects metabolism, something that is HUGELY affected by low thyroid hormone levels.

.... just a thought....

Topper ()

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:55:38 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

Anyone who is ill doesnt have to fast, and that would include anything that would hinder your body (or baby if you are nursing or pregnant) because of your fasting. In fact we are taught not to if we are ill as it isnt worship, it is causing ourselves harm.

I just was wondering why my doctors keep telling me its ok.

Jamila

Maybe cuz your docs don't understand how the hormones work and how much fasting affects metabolism, something that is HUGELY affected by low thyroid hormone levels.

.... just a thought....

Topper ()

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:55:38 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

Anyone who is ill doesnt have to fast, and that would include anything that would hinder your body (or baby if you are nursing or pregnant) because of your fasting. In fact we are taught not to if we are ill as it isnt worship, it is causing ourselves harm.

I just was wondering why my doctors keep telling me its ok.

Jamila

..... I gave up on docs..... It's gonna have to be something that is phenomenal to get close to me again!!! heheheheheh

Topper ()

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:33:48 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

My endo. said its ok. Isnt that his job to know???????? YIKES, I stopped going to OB's for habing babies ... now I can see it coming that I stop seeing them in general, doctors I mean. Unless I can find a natural doctor who is great.

Jamila

..... I gave up on docs..... It's gonna have to be something that is phenomenal to get close to me again!!! heheheheheh

Topper ()

My endo. said its ok. Isnt that his job to know???????? YIKES, I stopped going to OB's for habing babies ... now I can see it coming that I stop seeing them in general, doctors I mean. Unless I can find a natural doctor who is great.

Jamila

Topper ()

Jamila

It might be that your thyroid wasn't working so good for a while... did you happen to feel better when you were pregnant than you did when you weren't?

I ask that cuz of how thyroid hormone can pass from baby to mom...

Topper ()

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:31:44 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

Yes, its done for one month out of every year. It is calculated by the moon, as our calender follows by lunar. Our fasting isnt customized, so its either the whole deal or not at all. Meaning nothing enters the mouth from sun up to sun down for thirty days.

I havent fasted in a few years due to being pregnant, but before that it was really hard. Now I think I can understand why.

Jamila

It might be that your thyroid wasn't working so good for a while... did you happen to feel better when you were pregnant than you did when you weren't?

Topper ()

Yes, its done for one month out of every year. It is calculated by the moon, as our calender follows by lunar. Our fasting isnt customized, so its either the whole deal or not at all. Meaning nothing enters the mouth from sun up to sun down for thirty days.

I havent fasted in a few years due to being pregnant, but before that it was really hard. Now I think I can understand why.

Jamila

Topper ()

Jamila

The best I have felt in years is when I am peggers.

Jamila

topper2@... wrote:

Topper ()

Jamila

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

Jamila

topper2@... wrote:

Topper ()

Jamila

Jamila

topper2@... wrote:

Topper ()

Jamila

Jamila wrote:

> The best I have felt in years is when I am peggers.

Thats becuase the thyroid ramps up in pregancy to cope with the

increased metabolism, people who have been a bit hypo feel great since

they are feeling how they should be feeling normally. This is how i felt

- i was cyclinmg along on the morning before i gave birth since i

realised the baby was going to arrive in the next 12 hours and i felt on

top of the world- of coures after about 3 months -woomf - drop through

the flooor. This was bearable with number one but ended up as porst

natal depression with number 2.

peopel who are a wee bit hyper on the other hand can tip over to full

blown hyper with very bad results- my cousin was in this boat- luckily

she and her baby survived.

Some foilk obviously will not respond to the extra needs and they will

probably be diagnosed as hypoT as most drs check for thyroid probelms

in pregnancy or at least they are supposed to]

--

Alison

Jamila wrote:

--

Alison

Jamila wrote:

--

Alison

That's another clue to your being low on thyroid hormone for a while...... Hmmmmm....

Topper ()

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:17:34 -0700 (PDT) Jamila writes:

Jamila

Hi all,

I've read most of the comments on the fasting thread...interesting

how minor thoughts can bring up such facinating reading....

For me, my " daily fast " and " Lab work fast " is from Dinner to

Breakfast. This usually is about 12 hours, what with after dinner

activites and sleeping the 8-9 hours a night that I have to have to

exist.

With that said, I only add an hour, the time it takes me to get up,

showered and on my way to the lab to have the blood drawn for

my " lab fast " . Right afterwards, in my car, I take my meds and away

I go...one hour later I'm chowing down a high protein breakfast to

help the body catch up with that hour or two longer between dinner

and Breakfast.

Nothing out of the ordinary, no 24 hour fasts for this gal, after

all, no one wants to be around me when my body has run out of

energy...bad mood, sweats, grumpyness...

Gossimer

> Fasting is not good unless you are fasting in preparation for

labs....

>

> Fasting reduces the energy level in the body/blood and reduces the

body's

> ability to convert T4 to T3... remember T4 is the thyroid storage

hormone

> and it must be converted to the active thyroid hormone T3...

fasting

> causes that process to stop.

>

> .... edging out on a ledge here... If I'm wrong.. my apologies

again....

> if you fast as part of a ritual or something.... you can

compensate by

> taking additional T3.. it would depend on how long your fast is

and/or

> how often you do it.... As a general rule.... eating small meals

every

> three to four hours is best to ensure more even blood sugar, better

> conversion... and... seems to be a help for some that have issues

with

> weight management.

>

> That said.... how you choose to care for your thyroid issues also

has to

> take into consideration lifestyles, families... all that fun

stuff...

> learning the basics, determining how things affect your body and

such...

> will be what you use to determine how you will dose, eat, exercise,

> etc.... No one can decide these things for you.... we hope to be

able to

> give you the information you need to be able to make the best

choices for

> yourself...

>

> We have folks here that work days or nights. On the road, at home

or at a

> work place... We have folks that can eat and dose multiple times

per day

> and others whose schedules are anywhere from too hectic or too

regulated

> to allow the supposed ideal schedules... Everyone has to figure it

all

> out to suit them.... so if you are working on schedules, timing...

that

> kind of stuff.... ask... we'll help you as best we can to figure it

> out....

>

> Topper ()

>

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:10:15 -0700 (PDT) Jamila <um_hasheem@y...>

> writes:

> hello,

>

> i was reading at the website you gave me topper and i am confused

about

> fasting. is it good to fast or not?

>

> jamila

Hi all,

exist.

and Breakfast.

Gossimer

labs....

>

body's

hormone

fasting

>

again....

compensate by

and/or

every

with

> weight management.

>

has to

stuff...

such...

able to

choices for

> yourself...

>

or at a

per day

regulated

all

that

> out....

>

> Topper ()

>

> writes:

> hello,

>

about

> fasting. is it good to fast or not?

>

> jamila

Hi all,

exist.

and Breakfast.

Gossimer

labs....

>

body's

hormone

fasting

>

again....

compensate by

and/or

every

with

> weight management.

>

has to

stuff...

such...

able to

choices for

> yourself...

>

or at a

per day

regulated

all

that

> out....

>

> Topper ()

>

> writes:

> hello,

>

about