RemedySpot.com

Re: do I get kicked off the list?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Esther,

Eating the GF way and not the old way is a matter of breaking habits.

Here's how I did coped: I kept on reading about the damage "just a little" gluten will do to my intestines. I read about malabsorption issues and how not absorbing vitamins and minerals can cause major diseases. My teeth were breaking off. Just breaking off! My stomach was swollen and my sister told me I looked like I was pregnant. (Can't happen; I've been fixed.) It went down after I went GF. I got tired of being gassy. It was embarrassing! My vision was getting worse -- and I've had Lasik surgery. I had itchy ankles every night when I went to bed. It was so bad that I had to take Benedryl to stop it. (And then I slept like I was drugged all night. Yuck.)

Soooo.... I stopped eating bread. Pasta. Sauces. Gravies. .... I started looking for sources of gluten in everything I ate. My tummy went down and it wasn't hard anymore. The gas went away. The smelly bowel movements stopped. My teeth stopped breaking. The itchiness went away. I lost 31 pounds in 11 months from eating "better." I discovered GF bread. It's expensive but I am the only one in the house eating it and I only have one slice every morning at breakfast, so the $5 loaf lasts a long time. I discovered that I could buy GF bread dough frozen and turn it into pizza crust (it has yeast in it and smells and tastes so GOOD). My depression and mood swings went away. I weaned myself off of Paxil (which had robbed me of my sex drive!). I eat healthy, walk every day, and feel great!

You'll get there, my dear Esther. Just keep on fighting the fight. And know this: Every day we get more choices in GF foods (in addition to fresh fruits and vegetables, etc). Awareness is growing and someday soon, the major food producers are going to realize that GF foods could be a very profitable niche market for them. More restaurants are offering GF choices. It's not nearly as hard to do the GF lifestyle today as it was even a year ago!

You -- we -- all have reason to celebrate! In the meantime, clear your cupboards of forbidden foods so you won't be tempted. Don't go to parties yet (too many forbidden foods), only eat at restaurants where you know they serve GF foods, like P.F. Chang's. Go to support group meetings. Join the www.celiac.com link; on the first of every month, food marketers are allowed to send their ads to the link and you'll have 30-50 places that you can order GF food from! Some even offer free shipping if your order goes over a certain amount.

Buy some GF chocolate coffee to brew. It smells so good and tastes good, too! And you'll feel a little less deprived.

Good luck!

Gail in Houston

-- do I get kicked off the list?

I'm not feeling positive and optimistic about GF lifestyle today.As a matter of fact, I'm feeling quite discouraged. Hope you don't kick me off the list. But I needed to confess this darksecret in case any one has any words of encouragement.How do you get over the grief of saying good-bye to the old favorites?How do you get over the denial? "Just one <whatever> won't hurt me."How do you learn to think of the future honestly? "A minute on the tongue, a few days of pain and extra trips to the necessary room." Help! Today has NOT been an easy GF day for me.

Dear Esther,

Eating the GF way and not the old way is a matter of breaking habits.

Here's how I did coped: I kept on reading about the damage "just a little" gluten will do to my intestines. I read about malabsorption issues and how not absorbing vitamins and minerals can cause major diseases. My teeth were breaking off. Just breaking off! My stomach was swollen and my sister told me I looked like I was pregnant. (Can't happen; I've been fixed.) It went down after I went GF. I got tired of being gassy. It was embarrassing! My vision was getting worse -- and I've had Lasik surgery. I had itchy ankles every night when I went to bed. It was so bad that I had to take Benedryl to stop it. (And then I slept like I was drugged all night. Yuck.)

Soooo.... I stopped eating bread. Pasta. Sauces. Gravies. .... I started looking for sources of gluten in everything I ate. My tummy went down and it wasn't hard anymore. The gas went away. The smelly bowel movements stopped. My teeth stopped breaking. The itchiness went away. I lost 31 pounds in 11 months from eating "better." I discovered GF bread. It's expensive but I am the only one in the house eating it and I only have one slice every morning at breakfast, so the $5 loaf lasts a long time. I discovered that I could buy GF bread dough frozen and turn it into pizza crust (it has yeast in it and smells and tastes so GOOD). My depression and mood swings went away. I weaned myself off of Paxil (which had robbed me of my sex drive!). I eat healthy, walk every day, and feel great!

You'll get there, my dear Esther. Just keep on fighting the fight. And know this: Every day we get more choices in GF foods (in addition to fresh fruits and vegetables, etc). Awareness is growing and someday soon, the major food producers are going to realize that GF foods could be a very profitable niche market for them. More restaurants are offering GF choices. It's not nearly as hard to do the GF lifestyle today as it was even a year ago!

You -- we -- all have reason to celebrate! In the meantime, clear your cupboards of forbidden foods so you won't be tempted. Don't go to parties yet (too many forbidden foods), only eat at restaurants where you know they serve GF foods, like P.F. Chang's. Go to support group meetings. Join the www.celiac.com link; on the first of every month, food marketers are allowed to send their ads to the link and you'll have 30-50 places that you can order GF food from! Some even offer free shipping if your order goes over a certain amount.

Buy some GF chocolate coffee to brew. It smells so good and tastes good, too! And you'll feel a little less deprived.

Good luck!

Gail in Houston

-- do I get kicked off the list?

I'm not feeling positive and optimistic about GF lifestyle today.As a matter of fact, I'm feeling quite discouraged. Hope you don't kick me off the list. But I needed to confess this darksecret in case any one has any words of encouragement.How do you get over the grief of saying good-bye to the old favorites?How do you get over the denial? "Just one <whatever> won't hurt me."How do you learn to think of the future honestly? "A minute on the tongue, a few days of pain and extra trips to the necessary room." Help! Today has NOT been an easy GF day for me.

The way I did it was to realize this was the only way not to be so sick. In fact, I was dying. richardesther_p210 wrote: I'm not feeling positive and optimistic about GF lifestyle today.As a matter of fact, I'm feeling quite discouraged. Hope you don't kick me off the list. But I needed to confess this darksecret in case any one has any words of encouragement.How do you get over the grief of saying good-bye to the old favorites?How do you get over the denial? "Just one <whatever> won't hurt me."How do you learn to think of the future honestly? "A minute on the tongue, a few days of pain and extra trips to the necessary room." Help! Today has NOT been an easy GF day for me.

The way I did it was to realize this was the only way not to be so sick. In fact, I was dying. richardesther_p210 wrote: I'm not feeling positive and optimistic about GF lifestyle today.As a matter of fact, I'm feeling quite discouraged. Hope you don't kick me off the list. But I needed to confess this darksecret in case any one has any words of encouragement.How do you get over the grief of saying good-bye to the old favorites?How do you get over the denial? "Just one <whatever> won't hurt me."How do you learn to think of the future honestly? "A minute on the tongue, a few days of pain and extra trips to the necessary room." Help! Today has NOT been an easy GF day for me.

Today was not an easy day for me either. It was a family function with all

of the tempting gluten favorites. I also have to admit that I wasn't strong

enough and knowingly cheated (as a good pollack, I couldn't resist the

pierogi!!). I did notice two things though. One, the pierogi I ate wasn't

all that I thought it would be and two, it kind of alarms me that I didn't

seem to react. It's only been about 6 hours but we'll see if I am hurting

tomorrow. Either way, I think my body has started to adapt to GF as a way

of life and the gluten I once loved (and craved today) wasn't all that

great. I don't think I will cheat like that again. Hang in there! I'm

with you :)

do I get kicked off the list?

> I'm not feeling positive and optimistic about GF lifestyle today.

>

> As a matter of fact, I'm feeling quite discouraged.

>

> Hope you don't kick me off the list. But I needed to confess this dark

> secret in case any one has any words of encouragement.

>

> How do you get over the grief of saying good-bye to the old favorites?

>

> How do you get over the denial? " Just one <whatever> won't hurt me. "

>

> How do you learn to think of the future honestly? " A minute on

> the tongue, a few days of pain and extra trips to the necessary room. "

>

> Help! Today has NOT been an easy GF day for me.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Today was not an easy day for me either. It was a family function with all

of the tempting gluten favorites. I also have to admit that I wasn't strong

enough and knowingly cheated (as a good pollack, I couldn't resist the

pierogi!!). I did notice two things though. One, the pierogi I ate wasn't

all that I thought it would be and two, it kind of alarms me that I didn't

seem to react. It's only been about 6 hours but we'll see if I am hurting

tomorrow. Either way, I think my body has started to adapt to GF as a way

of life and the gluten I once loved (and craved today) wasn't all that

great. I don't think I will cheat like that again. Hang in there! I'm

with you :)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I don't think any of us were enthusiastic about having to change our lifestyle and eating habits. It's very hard to deal with it, there are always good days and bad days. When I was first diagnosed I went to the Renaissance Faire and when I walked past all of the food I just stood still and started crying my eyes out! It was actually pretty funny now that I think back to it but at the time I just was SO depressed! Now when I eat and I get to eat something that I haven't had in a few years...like when my family tries hard to cook for me...I cry out of joy that I found another food to enjoy. I'm a big baby=) Being told that you have to eat gluten free takes a grieving process to begin to deal with it, and then even after you have accepted it there are times you have to grieve again for "the good old days", it's like dealing with a death of a loved one. As for dealing with cheating, as we all have probably done, the agonizing pain that comes with that bite of the mozzarella stick that you saw a marine eating from across the restaurant and you actually had the guts to go over to his table and eat the mozz right out of his hand because you were so delirious by the magnetizing smell of that delicious fried food (Yep that was me and I bet that guy will never forget the strange girl that ate his food! And I will never ever forget what that tasted like) But the pain was unbearable and I never did it again, no matter how tempting it may be.

I could just tell you to cheer up but that will take time...in the meantime just find some recipes and experiment, you'll find some great food but you will probably realize that it will take some practice=) Good luck and hang in there!

Mandy

Rochester,NY

I don't think any of us were enthusiastic about having to change our lifestyle and eating habits. It's very hard to deal with it, there are always good days and bad days. When I was first diagnosed I went to the Renaissance Faire and when I walked past all of the food I just stood still and started crying my eyes out! It was actually pretty funny now that I think back to it but at the time I just was SO depressed! Now when I eat and I get to eat something that I haven't had in a few years...like when my family tries hard to cook for me...I cry out of joy that I found another food to enjoy. I'm a big baby=) Being told that you have to eat gluten free takes a grieving process to begin to deal with it, and then even after you have accepted it there are times you have to grieve again for "the good old days", it's like dealing with a death of a loved one. As for dealing with cheating, as we all have probably done, the agonizing pain that comes with that bite of the mozzarella stick that you saw a marine eating from across the restaurant and you actually had the guts to go over to his table and eat the mozz right out of his hand because you were so delirious by the magnetizing smell of that delicious fried food (Yep that was me and I bet that guy will never forget the strange girl that ate his food! And I will never ever forget what that tasted like) But the pain was unbearable and I never did it again, no matter how tempting it may be.

I could just tell you to cheer up but that will take time...in the meantime just find some recipes and experiment, you'll find some great food but you will probably realize that it will take some practice=) Good luck and hang in there!

Mandy

Rochester,NY

Mandy

Rochester,NY

Esther,

I don't know how long you have been GF, but if it has been a short time, it will get better.

I had a long period of grieving over my loss of lifestyle. I went through denial, anger, acceptance, anger, acceptance, just as if I had lost a loved one. I saw all my dreams washed down the drain because I have celiac. I stopped socializing because it was too difficult to expect other people to understand the diet that I was just beginning to learn. I was depressed. I offered my husband a divorce since I felt that my diet would cramp his lifestyle too. (He didn't take me up on that and we are thriving on a GF household.)

But, as I got better at the diet, I got better at acceptance. I have learned to socialize without needing to eat. I've learned to substitute other foods for the foods I was missing.

I'm a silent celiac so I don't feel the symptoms of eating gluten like others do. But, I would imagine that the few days of pain and discomfort would make you want to avoid gluten. If you are craving a certain food at a particular time, try to substitute another similar food. Don't deny yourself of pleasures of food....just find different foods. (Ask the group for recipes to substitute for some of your favorite foods.)

I also went through the "just a little bit won't hurt" feeling until I read about and understood the additional risks that go with eating gluten. While there are probably other great books out there, the book Wheat Free, Worry Free by Danna Korn was the book that finally made sense to me. It lists all the various risks and was the book that finally got through to me.

Hang in there. It's the holidays and a period of great stress. You will do better each day and if you slip, just get right back on track. You can do it.

Donna in Littleton Colorado

Esther,

I don't know how long you have been GF, but if it has been a short time, it will get better.

I had a long period of grieving over my loss of lifestyle. I went through denial, anger, acceptance, anger, acceptance, just as if I had lost a loved one. I saw all my dreams washed down the drain because I have celiac. I stopped socializing because it was too difficult to expect other people to understand the diet that I was just beginning to learn. I was depressed. I offered my husband a divorce since I felt that my diet would cramp his lifestyle too. (He didn't take me up on that and we are thriving on a GF household.)

But, as I got better at the diet, I got better at acceptance. I have learned to socialize without needing to eat. I've learned to substitute other foods for the foods I was missing.

I'm a silent celiac so I don't feel the symptoms of eating gluten like others do. But, I would imagine that the few days of pain and discomfort would make you want to avoid gluten. If you are craving a certain food at a particular time, try to substitute another similar food. Don't deny yourself of pleasures of food....just find different foods. (Ask the group for recipes to substitute for some of your favorite foods.)

I also went through the "just a little bit won't hurt" feeling until I read about and understood the additional risks that go with eating gluten. While there are probably other great books out there, the book Wheat Free, Worry Free by Danna Korn was the book that finally made sense to me. It lists all the various risks and was the book that finally got through to me.

Hang in there. It's the holidays and a period of great stress. You will do better each day and if you slip, just get right back on track. You can do it.

Esther,

Living with any chronic disease is all but impossible.It actually shows me that I am not the only one not happy about this thing.

Some days are worse than others.I can't even imagine living on this diet.Thank You for sharing and I hope you feel better soon,

Doreen

Living with any chronic disease is all but impossible.It actually shows me that I am not the only one not happy about this thing.

Some days are worse than others.I can't even imagine living on this diet.Thank You for sharing and I hope you feel better soon,

Doreen

Esther,

I understand completely how you feel. Grieve all you need and the

optimism will return. I have only been GF for about a year and have

shed my share of tears over a few dearly departed comfort foods. I

felt really silly about it at the time and a bit pathetic, too. I

really was depressed some days. I realized rationally that I was not

sick anymore and I could re-learn how to eat and what to eat and

there were plenty of good things available for me etc.... But I

wanted the old foods, especially my beer battered fish and chips with

tons of malt vinegar! So I started a list with fish and chips right

at the top. Everytime I would get that depressed pity party started,

I would just add the object of my affection to the list. I was

determined to take a week of vacation from work and the world, and on

the first day or two I would savor one of everything on my list and

retire to my bathroom to recover. I still have my list and I still

add to it, but I have never actually done it. When it comes down to

the reality of wasting valuable vacation and feeling really really

horrible the whole time, I always chicken out. I even got through 2

weeks in London without fish and chips.

Good luck, Esther.

And, Happy Holidays everyone!

>

>

>

> Hope you don't kick me off the list. But I needed to confess this

dark

>

> How do you get over the grief of saying good-bye to the old

favorites?

>

>

> the tongue, a few days of pain and extra trips to the necessary

room. "

>

>

Esther,

Good luck, Esther.

>

>

>

dark

>

favorites?

>

>

room. "

>

>

Esther,

Good luck, Esther.

>

>

>

dark

>

favorites?

>

>

room. "

>

>

I feel your pain. Sorry about that!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Ack! I accidentally hit the " send " button too soon. So sorry! What I

really meant to say is that sometimes, you really have to wallow in

your grief/disappointment for a time. Really connect with it and beat

it to hell before you can move on. It's just not fair. But lots of

things aren't. Take whatever time you need to confront it. Everyone

is different and some of us need more time to let the emotional side

play out. I recommend writing if you're having a hard time coming to

terms with it. Take care and best wishes!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I hate to be the one that says I've never really gone thru this, when i was first going gluten free many people on another list told me I would have a period of mourning. I didn't. They kept saying, you watch, its going to hit you soon, you will miss your old foods, you will be depressed, etc. Never really happened.

Do I miss pizza and beer, yeah I guess I do, but I'm certainly not going to "mourn" over food. I tend to think a lot of it is attitude and mine is that when I was diagnosed I was handed a gift. The gift of health. I'm no longer feeling awful, I don't have the runs, my belly doesn't hurt, I'd never trade in all that for a pizza. My diet is so much healthier now, I'm so much healthier, I've lost weight and don't have to watch it for the first time in 40 years, I've got more energy, my skin looks a good 10 years younger then I am. I'm doing well and feeling well for the first time in years.

I've been handed a lot of challenges in life.. I've also got Eosinophilic Colitis and I'm hearing impaired but then I've got a lot of good things going too, I'm a succssful stockbroker, I've got a wonderful boyfriend, and a happy daughter. Its all how you look at it in my book.

I hate to be the one that says I've never really gone thru this, when i was first going gluten free many people on another list told me I would have a period of mourning. I didn't. They kept saying, you watch, its going to hit you soon, you will miss your old foods, you will be depressed, etc. Never really happened.

Do I miss pizza and beer, yeah I guess I do, but I'm certainly not going to "mourn" over food. I tend to think a lot of it is attitude and mine is that when I was diagnosed I was handed a gift. The gift of health. I'm no longer feeling awful, I don't have the runs, my belly doesn't hurt, I'd never trade in all that for a pizza. My diet is so much healthier now, I'm so much healthier, I've lost weight and don't have to watch it for the first time in 40 years, I've got more energy, my skin looks a good 10 years younger then I am. I'm doing well and feeling well for the first time in years.

I've been handed a lot of challenges in life.. I've also got Eosinophilic Colitis and I'm hearing impaired but then I've got a lot of good things going too, I'm a succssful stockbroker, I've got a wonderful boyfriend, and a happy daughter. Its all how you look at it in my book.