RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Armour-hypo advice?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You will feel worse for a while because your body is probably not used to receiving all of the hormones armour carries so now your body is trying to gobble them up as quick as it can get them.

Also on common meds like synthroid and what not your body sort of shuts down and when people try armour for about the first 3 months they feel worse because they start to realize how badly they really feel health wise. If you stick with it over time this will go away. After about three months if you still feel this bad (it takes about 3 months or so for your adrenals/thyroid to cycle together) talk to your doc.

I felt this way when I first took Armour 2 years ago and since then my life has changed completely. Every few months after I would have my dosage changed, I would have a mini flare up and after a few days my body would readjust... the more you go on, the less severe the reactions will be.

Just give your body patience. Many people quit Armour and then go back to synthetic hormones because of this and then they end up feeling worse. What happens is, your body gets used to not having all the thyroid hormones because $ynthetics usually don't offer them. Then on Armour/natural hormones their adrenals start waking up and everything else does to with it.

There is a good article someone posted about why this happens either on this web group or the American Thyroid Patients group, I can't remember... maybe someone still has a copy of it? Do any of you remember what I'm talking about... I think it was on a restless leg syndrome thread or something.

good luck,

Armour-hypo advice?

Hi allI've been recently diagnosed with hypoT from symptoms and very low normal T3. I'm taking 1 grain Armour atm (since 3.5 weeks) sublingually, 1/2 grain at 8 am and 1/2 grain at approx 1.30 pm. I hope to move up to 2 grains next week, after my Doc checks my blood results (test on Monday). What I want to ask is: why do I feel so much worse?! Of course, I don't expect to feel better yet, but I am getting much worse depression, fatigue and dry skin/eyes now than I ever was before beginning Armour. The only good thing is that I have noticed that every 3-4 days I get a really good day, but it is always short-lived. I've sent for some adrenal glandular supplements (will arrive tomorrow) thinking that as I've been hypoT for many many years (with hindsight) my adrenals must be very stressed and it might be that which is making me feel worse. However, everything I've read about problems from adrenals when taking Armour is that it makes you hyper (racing heartbeat etc) and not MORE hypo. I'd be really grateful to read other people's thoughts on this.TIAKaty in England

Guest guest

You will feel worse for a while because your body is probably not used to receiving all of the hormones armour carries so now your body is trying to gobble them up as quick as it can get them.

Also on common meds like synthroid and what not your body sort of shuts down and when people try armour for about the first 3 months they feel worse because they start to realize how badly they really feel health wise. If you stick with it over time this will go away. After about three months if you still feel this bad (it takes about 3 months or so for your adrenals/thyroid to cycle together) talk to your doc.

I felt this way when I first took Armour 2 years ago and since then my life has changed completely. Every few months after I would have my dosage changed, I would have a mini flare up and after a few days my body would readjust... the more you go on, the less severe the reactions will be.

Just give your body patience. Many people quit Armour and then go back to synthetic hormones because of this and then they end up feeling worse. What happens is, your body gets used to not having all the thyroid hormones because $ynthetics usually don't offer them. Then on Armour/natural hormones their adrenals start waking up and everything else does to with it.

There is a good article someone posted about why this happens either on this web group or the American Thyroid Patients group, I can't remember... maybe someone still has a copy of it? Do any of you remember what I'm talking about... I think it was on a restless leg syndrome thread or something.

good luck,

Armour-hypo advice?

Hi allI've been recently diagnosed with hypoT from symptoms and very low normal T3. I'm taking 1 grain Armour atm (since 3.5 weeks) sublingually, 1/2 grain at 8 am and 1/2 grain at approx 1.30 pm. I hope to move up to 2 grains next week, after my Doc checks my blood results (test on Monday). What I want to ask is: why do I feel so much worse?! Of course, I don't expect to feel better yet, but I am getting much worse depression, fatigue and dry skin/eyes now than I ever was before beginning Armour. The only good thing is that I have noticed that every 3-4 days I get a really good day, but it is always short-lived. I've sent for some adrenal glandular supplements (will arrive tomorrow) thinking that as I've been hypoT for many many years (with hindsight) my adrenals must be very stressed and it might be that which is making me feel worse. However, everything I've read about problems from adrenals when taking Armour is that it makes you hyper (racing heartbeat etc) and not MORE hypo. I'd be really grateful to read other people's thoughts on this.TIAKaty in England

Guest guest

good luck,

Armour-hypo advice?

Guest guest

Also, your adrenals may not completely work with your thyroid... God knows that's true lol

Armour-hypo advice?

Guest guest

Also, your adrenals may not completely work with your thyroid... God knows that's true lol

Armour-hypo advice?

Guest guest

>

> Hi all

>

> I've been recently diagnosed with hypoT from symptoms and very low

> normal T3. I'm taking 1 grain Armour atm (since 3.5 weeks)

> sublingually, 1/2 grain at 8 am and 1/2 grain at approx 1.30 pm.

I

> hope to move up to 2 grains next week, after my Doc checks my

blood

> results (test on Monday).

>

> What I want to ask is: why do I feel so much worse?!

Some basics.. TSH ( thyroid stimulating hormone) stimulates the

thyroid gland to produce more or less hormone.. this depends on the

amount of hormone circulating in the body.

When you add supplemental hormone replacement, the first week you

feel good.. you are adding on to the amount in the body and bringing

your levels up.

Then the body sends out a signal saying hey we have more

hormone..lower that TSH.. the TSH then not realizing it is not

coming from the thyroid production slows down and the thyroid starts

producing less hormone then it was when you first started

replacement.

( hope this makes sense)

Most people notice this more pronounced when they first start on

replacement hormone although it will continue until you reach your

optimal dose.

A note on Armour though..it contains T3 and that is where the hyper

symptoms come from..make sure your doc is testing Free T3 at every

lab and you may consider baby steps of going from 1 grain to 1 1/2

grains to 2 grains as your body adjusts to the extra T3..when long

term hypo the body is functioning on a lower level of T3 and may not

be able to handle T3 in large amounts, bu tif you wake the body up

slowly as it starts using the T3 and repairing itself it will have a

need for more T3. Until you are optimal.

Kats3boys

Guest guest

>

> Hi all

>

> I've been recently diagnosed with hypoT from symptoms and very low

> normal T3. I'm taking 1 grain Armour atm (since 3.5 weeks)

> sublingually, 1/2 grain at 8 am and 1/2 grain at approx 1.30 pm.

I

> hope to move up to 2 grains next week, after my Doc checks my

blood

> results (test on Monday).

>

> What I want to ask is: why do I feel so much worse?!

Some basics.. TSH ( thyroid stimulating hormone) stimulates the

thyroid gland to produce more or less hormone.. this depends on the

amount of hormone circulating in the body.

When you add supplemental hormone replacement, the first week you

feel good.. you are adding on to the amount in the body and bringing

your levels up.

Then the body sends out a signal saying hey we have more

hormone..lower that TSH.. the TSH then not realizing it is not

coming from the thyroid production slows down and the thyroid starts

producing less hormone then it was when you first started

replacement.

( hope this makes sense)

Most people notice this more pronounced when they first start on

replacement hormone although it will continue until you reach your

optimal dose.

A note on Armour though..it contains T3 and that is where the hyper

symptoms come from..make sure your doc is testing Free T3 at every

lab and you may consider baby steps of going from 1 grain to 1 1/2

grains to 2 grains as your body adjusts to the extra T3..when long

term hypo the body is functioning on a lower level of T3 and may not

be able to handle T3 in large amounts, bu tif you wake the body up

slowly as it starts using the T3 and repairing itself it will have a

need for more T3. Until you are optimal.

Kats3boys

Guest guest

Thanks and Kats for your advice.

So is the conclusion here that it is a common experience for patients

starting Armour to feel *much* worse hypoT to begin with?

And would it be helpful to take the adrenal glandular supplement?

Katy

Guest guest

Not always the case, as in myself. However, I am almost afraid to say this for fear things may turn bad, LOL.

On Dec 30 I made the switch from Synthroid(0.125mg)/Cytomel(10mcg) to Armour 180 mg(60 mg three times per day).

This has been a very positive change for me, and my fatigue is better. The only thing I did notice was I had a period from Jan 8-21, and then I started again on Jan 31. I am not sure if this is related to the change or not. I am currently on antibiotics for other issues (uti's, group b strep(vaginal)) so maybe that is why my cycle is wacky.

At the same time I started on the Armour, I also started on Selenium 200mg per day to help with conversion.

Marie

From: The_Thyroid_Support_Group [mailto:The_Thyroid_Support_Group ] On Behalf Of KatySent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:54 PMTo: The_Thyroid_Support_Group Subject: Re: Armour-hypo advice?

Thanks and Kats for your advice.So is the conclusion here that it is a common experience for patients starting Armour to feel *much* worse hypoT to begin with?And would it be helpful to take the adrenal glandular supplement?Katy

Guest guest

yes... just be careful about adding adrenal support. if you add to much or not enough you will feel much worse. it is best to get tested for adrenal problems either through blood test or saliva testing before starting so you know where to start from. i wish my doc would have done that with me :). (many would advise the doc look at your hormones before perscribing armour, mine didn't). just keep focused on the thyroid feelings.. you'll feel them more as you heal. try to determine if you have any hypo/hyper symptoms and let your doc know. good luck.

andrea

Re: Armour-hypo advice?

Thanks and Kats for your advice.So is the conclusion here that it is a common experience for patients starting Armour to feel *much* worse hypoT to begin with?And would it be helpful to take the adrenal glandular supplement?Katy

Guest guest

it varies from person to person... I'm not saying armour is perfect... if it did, I think it would beat out everything else, but it hasn't. just as people are individual so is medicine and it's components. now if someone could just tell the doctors about it. also... why do DOs tend to do better... I'm thinking of seeing one myself. It's called The Barter Clinic where if you don't have money you can barter for services... such a blessing to find a doc like that. I'll let you all know how it goes.

andrea

RE: Re: Armour-hypo advice?

Not always the case, as in myself. However, I am almost afraid to say this for fear things may turn bad, LOL.

On Dec 30 I made the switch from Synthroid(0.125mg)/Cytomel(10mcg) to Armour 180 mg(60 mg three times per day).

This has been a very positive change for me, and my fatigue is better. The only thing I did notice was I had a period from Jan 8-21, and then I started again on Jan 31. I am not sure if this is related to the change or not. I am currently on antibiotics for other issues (uti's, group b strep(vaginal)) so maybe that is why my cycle is wacky.

At the same time I started on the Armour, I also started on Selenium 200mg per day to help with conversion.

Marie

From: The_Thyroid_Support_Group [mailto:The_Thyroid_Support_Group ] On Behalf Of KatySent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:54 PMTo: The_Thyroid_Support_Group Subject: Re: Armour-hypo advice?

Guest guest

it sounds like your hormones are doing the regulation dance :). maybe you can teach them to two step lol.

a.

Marie

Guest guest

The irony of all this is that I booked a cruise in December, FOR MARCH, specifically around my cycle because I am always 29 days exactly...well, so much for that..so, I will go prepared in March and hope I don't start.

Marie

From: The_Thyroid_Support_Group [mailto:The_Thyroid_Support_Group ] On Behalf Of TeagueSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:29 PMTo: The_Thyroid_Support_Group Subject: Re: Re: Armour-hypo advice?

it sounds like your hormones are doing the regulation dance :). maybe you can teach them to two step lol.

a.

Marie

Guest guest

The irony of all this is that I booked a cruise in December, FOR MARCH, specifically around my cycle because I am always 29 days exactly...well, so much for that..so, I will go prepared in March and hope I don't start.

Marie

From: The_Thyroid_Support_Group [mailto:The_Thyroid_Support_Group ] On Behalf Of TeagueSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:29 PMTo: The_Thyroid_Support_Group Subject: Re: Re: Armour-hypo advice?

a.

Marie

Guest guest

Marie

a.

Marie

Guest guest

Kat and already covered this... but I'll chime in too.. it is not at all uncommon to feel worse as your body goes through the adjustments.... and as they said, as you get closer to optimal dose those bad days become less bad and shorter.... Until the bad days are gone and the adjustments are no longer needed.

That happens when the dosage is right for your body... not just cuz the doc says it's 'in normal range' and you're okay now.

It is helpful for many to take an adrenal supplement.. it even says so on the thyroid inserts... but to find a doc that will do it.. that is the trick!!!

Topper ()

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 20:53:53 -0000 "Katy" writes:

Guest guest

For some folks that made the switch from synthetics to naturals the change over isn't as positive because the doc gives the wrong dosage of the natural... I've seen/read of those that have had severe dosage drops and severe increases all because the doc doesn't know how to determine the equivalent dose...

The math isn't all that hard... and once the math is done the numbers are simple to remember...

1 grain of Armour is equivalent to 74 mcg of Synthetic T4.

Some folks use the comparison of 1 grain of Armour being equal to 100 mcg of Synthetic T4.

The second isn't even a bad one if the person has been severely low on T3 in their system due to poor conversion while on the synthetic T4, it gives their body a chance to ease into the full range of readily available hormone that comes with taking natural thyroid, like Armour, that just wasn't there with the synthetic T4s.... Adding synthetic T3, Cytomel, helps your body adjust... but then only if your body is able to utilize the synthetic T3....

Ahhhh that's why this is such a mystery to so many docs to deal with.. our bodies don't always react the same to the different forms (Synthetic and Natural) Some of us just can't make use of the synthetic...

sigh

Topper ()

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:05:46 -0600 "Marie" writes:

Marie

Guest guest

Hi

Thanks for your input too. I'm glad (in a way!) that it's OK to

feel so bad at this point in my " Armour journey " .

As to the adrenal supplement - I've ordered it online and it is due

tomorrow! It's the Nutri-Adrenal Extra which I was recommended by

another group. It's natural adrenal tissue extracts from bovine

sources, much as Armour is from porcine sources, so it made sense to

me. I thought I would just try one tab a day for a week to start

and see how it goes. I'll tell my Doc - but it sounds like I don't

really need a doc to take this?

Katy

>

> Kat and already covered this... but I'll chime in too.. it

is not

> at all uncommon to feel worse as your body goes through the

> adjustments.... and as they said, as you get closer to optimal

dose

> those bad days become less bad and shorter.... Until the bad days

are

> gone and the adjustments are no longer needed.

>

> That happens when the dosage is right for your body... not just

cuz the

> doc says it's 'in normal range' and you're okay now.

>

> It is helpful for many to take an adrenal supplement.. it even

says so on

> the thyroid inserts... but to find a doc that will do it.. that is

the

> trick!!!

>

> Topper ()

>

Guest guest

Watch yourself close when you start the adrenal... I started on a whole desiccated adrenal and it made me feel sooo wonderful from the get go that I got goin.... I was feeling so good that I over did it and ended up wearing myself out...

If it eases so many of the symptoms, this is my opinion, that you dont' have the guide lines to slow your body down before you over do... it's a nasty crash...

As hard as it is to be sick... as hard as it is to get well slowly... it's worse.. MUCH worse to crash and start over.

My crash consistent of muscle failure...... my legs would give out and I'd fall down.. and my hands cramped up working in the kitchen... I couldn't peel apples or potatoes.. I ended up stopping the adrenal support for a couple of months and then starting up again on a smaller dose.

I had started on 1/2 tab. It's an 80 mg whole desiccated bovine adrenal, crashed within four weeks.... when I started up, two months later, I started on 1/4 tab and then gradually worked my way up.

Just something to keep in mind... it might not be that way for you.. but if you know what to keep an eye out for you'll spot it sooner rather than later...

Topper ()

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:21:27 -0000 "Katy" writes:

Hi Thanks for your input too. I'm glad (in a way!) that it's OK to feel so bad at this point in my "Armour journey".As to the adrenal supplement - I've ordered it online and it is due tomorrow! It's the Nutri-Adrenal Extra which I was recommended by another group. It's natural adrenal tissue extracts from bovine sources, much as Armour is from porcine sources, so it made sense to me. I thought I would just try one tab a day for a week to start and see how it goes. I'll tell my Doc - but it sounds like I don't really need a doc to take this?Katy

Guest guest

>

> Not always the case, as in myself. However, I am almost afraid to

say this

> for fear things may turn bad, LOL.

> On Dec 30 I made the switch from Synthroid(0.125mg)/Cytomel(10mcg)

to Armour

> 180 mg(60 mg three times per day).

> This has been a very positive change for me, and my fatigue is

better. The

> only thing I did notice was I had a period from Jan 8-21, and then

I started

> again on Jan 31. I am not sure if this is related to the change

or not.

> I am currently on antibiotics for other issues (uti's, group b

> strep(vaginal)) so maybe that is why my cycle is wacky.

>

> At the same time I started on the Armour, I also started on

Selenium 200mg

> per day to help with conversion.

>

> Marie

>

>

But you were on T4/T3 so the switch should go fairly easy..

Go back to Two-Three weeks after you first started Synthroid as to

how you felt..

Kats3boys

Guest guest

>

say this

to Armour

better. The

I started

or not.

>

Selenium 200mg

>

> Marie

>

>

how you felt..

Kats3boys

Guest guest

>

say this

to Armour

better. The

I started

or not.

>

Selenium 200mg

>

> Marie

>

>

how you felt..

Kats3boys

Guest guest

>

> Hi

>

> Thanks for your input too. I'm glad (in a way!) that it's OK to

> feel so bad at this point in my " Armour journey " .

>

> As to the adrenal supplement - I've ordered it online and it is due

> tomorrow! It's the Nutri-Adrenal Extra which I was recommended by

> another group. It's natural adrenal tissue extracts from bovine

> sources, much as Armour is from porcine sources, so it made sense

to

> me. I thought I would just try one tab a day for a week to start

> and see how it goes. I'll tell my Doc - but it sounds like I don't

> really need a doc to take this?

>

> Katy

>

>

Do be careful adding and adjusting two meds at once..you will never

know which one to go up or down on and which one is working or not

working..if you are due for labs on Monday and expecting an Armour

increase.. you may want to take the increase and just the increase

for a few weeks.. then add the adrenal..this way your body is not

adjusting to both..doing both can be done but it is tricky..so give

yourself time to be stable between med and dose changes..this will

stop you from having to go back to one grain of Armour and start all

over again.

Kats3boys

Guest guest

>

> Hi

>

>

to

>

> Katy

>

>

Do be careful adding and adjusting two meds at once..you will never

know which one to go up or down on and which one is working or not

working..if you are due for labs on Monday and expecting an Armour

increase.. you may want to take the increase and just the increase

for a few weeks.. then add the adrenal..this way your body is not

adjusting to both..doing both can be done but it is tricky..so give

yourself time to be stable between med and dose changes..this will

stop you from having to go back to one grain of Armour and start all

over again.

Kats3boys

Guest guest

>

> Hi

>

>

to

>

> Katy

>