RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Bummed after visit w/ Surgical Oncologist (long, sorry)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks everyone for all the input. It helps and I feel calmer, though I'm sure I'll have more panic times too. I'm very new to this so I'll probably have a lot of questions. I've read a lot about breast cancer over the years but you don't really pay attention until you have it, KWIM? So a lot of it is new.

What's and expander?

Has anyone done reconstruction. I'm not really caring one way or the other just now but a lot of people have asked me if I intend to and I just tell them I'll know in a year. I'm just not sure I'd want to go through anymore surgery if I don't have to and dh and I really don't care one way or the other sexually or looks wise. It's not that big a deal other than I could get reduction surgery in my remaining breast only if I have reconstruction, for insurance to pay for it that is. I'm just curious how other people feel about reconstruction.

I'm kind of glad I'm 3+ weeks out to the start of therapy. It gives me time to do some research and feel like I know more about my treatments and my choices down the road. I have a lot of research to do.

LICS June "Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

-----Original Message-----From: breastcancer2 [mailto:breastcancer2 ]On Behalf Of DONNA HAGANSent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:44 PMTo: breastcancer2 Subject: Re: "Bummed" after visit w/ Surgical Oncologist (long, sorry)

June, I finished chemo one year ago and I didn't do bad. I couldn't start right away either because I had an infection from the mastectomy and had to wait for that to heal. I think it put it off for 2 weeks also. My Dr wasn't to happy either but it all worked out. I didn't have radiation just chemo, I was stage 1 but I had three tumors in the left breast, no nodes and they were all small the biggest was only 1.2 cm. I lost my hair but I didn't get sick. I was just really tired and after the 3rd treatment I got winded but he checked my heart and it was fine.

I just had an expander put in today for the second time. When I had the mastectomy I had a tram flap done but the tissue died at the end of surgery and then in March I had an expander put in but got infection and had to have it removed.found out I had gotten a staph infection from one of my surgeries and that is by I kept getting infections. So they treated that and this time he wasn't taking any changes he gave me 2 antibiotics in the iv during surgery today and even gave the expander an antibiotic bath and my incision too. Now on clindamycin too.

Oh well enough about me, don't worry everything will be fine and you will get through everything.

Donna

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!!

DONNA

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

Hi June,

I didn't have reconstruction and have never been sorry that I didn't. My husband and I decided against it before surgery. He said he loves me for whats inside, not for my breasts.

Hugs

nne

Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Lifehttp://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html

Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.htmlalso check out my other ornaments and lots of nice gifts at:http://www.cancerclub.com

RE: "Bummed" after visit w/ Surgical Oncologist (long, sorry)

Thanks everyone for all the input. It helps and I feel calmer, though I'm sure I'll have more panic times too. I'm very new to this so I'll probably have a lot of questions. I've read a lot about breast cancer over the years but you don't really pay attention until you have it, KWIM? So a lot of it is new.

What's and expander?

Has anyone done reconstruction. I'm not really caring one way or the other just now but a lot of people have asked me if I intend to and I just tell them I'll know in a year. I'm just not sure I'd want to go through anymore surgery if I don't have to and dh and I really don't care one way or the other sexually or looks wise. It's not that big a deal other than I could get reduction surgery in my remaining breast only if I have reconstruction, for insurance to pay for it that is. I'm just curious how other people feel about reconstruction.

I'm kind of glad I'm 3+ weeks out to the start of therapy. It gives me time to do some research and feel like I know more about my treatments and my choices down the road. I have a lot of research to do.

LICS June "Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

-----Original Message-----From: breastcancer2 [mailto:breastcancer2 ]On Behalf Of DONNA HAGANSent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:44 PMTo: breastcancer2 Subject: Re: "Bummed" after visit w/ Surgical Oncologist (long, sorry)

June, I finished chemo one year ago and I didn't do bad. I couldn't start right away either because I had an infection from the mastectomy and had to wait for that to heal. I think it put it off for 2 weeks also. My Dr wasn't to happy either but it all worked out. I didn't have radiation just chemo, I was stage 1 but I had three tumors in the left breast, no nodes and they were all small the biggest was only 1.2 cm. I lost my hair but I didn't get sick. I was just really tired and after the 3rd treatment I got winded but he checked my heart and it was fine.

I just had an expander put in today for the second time. When I had the mastectomy I had a tram flap done but the tissue died at the end of surgery and then in March I had an expander put in but got infection and had to have it removed.found out I had gotten a staph infection from one of my surgeries and that is by I kept getting infections. So they treated that and this time he wasn't taking any changes he gave me 2 antibiotics in the iv during surgery today and even gave the expander an antibiotic bath and my incision too. Now on clindamycin too.

Oh well enough about me, don't worry everything will be fine and you will get through everything.

Donna

DONNA

Guest guest

Hi June,

I didn't have reconstruction and have never been sorry that I didn't. My husband and I decided against it before surgery. He said he loves me for whats inside, not for my breasts.

Hugs

nne

Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Lifehttp://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html

Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.htmlalso check out my other ornaments and lots of nice gifts at:http://www.cancerclub.com

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Guest guest

Hi June,

Hugs

nne

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Guest guest

Yes, I agree on that pretty much nne, and my husband does too. I'm just not sure how "I" will feel about it all in a year and want the option should I choose it, for nothing more than it would be an opportunity to reduce the size of my remaining breast. I've hated being a D for over 10 years now. I'll do a prosthesis through treatments and see how I feel. I'm just wanting to hear the experience people have had who have had reconstruction.

Hi June,

Hugs

nne

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Guest guest

Yes, I agree on that pretty much nne, and my husband does too. I'm just not sure how "I" will feel about it all in a year and want the option should I choose it, for nothing more than it would be an opportunity to reduce the size of my remaining breast. I've hated being a D for over 10 years now. I'll do a prosthesis through treatments and see how I feel. I'm just wanting to hear the experience people have had who have had reconstruction.

Hi June,

Hugs

nne

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Guest guest

Hi June,

Hugs

nne

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Guest guest

reconstruction is a personal thing. for me, I just want my body back and when I look at myself I just want to look like the old me. My husband doesn't care, this is something for me. I always use to say who cares and when I found out I didn't care just wanted the cancer out. I think my surgeon just suggest reconstruction when he did the mastectomy. But now I really want this to work. An expander is something they put in to expand the skin before they put the implant in. I will go to the dr every week or so and he will inject water into it until it is the right size.

You will have many ups and downs, but I am sure you are going to do great. If you need anything just let me know..........................donnaJune wrote:

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!!

DONNA

Yahoo! for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

reconstruction is a personal thing. for me, I just want my body back and when I look at myself I just want to look like the old me. My husband doesn't care, this is something for me. I always use to say who cares and when I found out I didn't care just wanted the cancer out. I think my surgeon just suggest reconstruction when he did the mastectomy. But now I really want this to work. An expander is something they put in to expand the skin before they put the implant in. I will go to the dr every week or so and he will inject water into it until it is the right size.

You will have many ups and downs, but I am sure you are going to do great. If you need anything just let me know..........................donnaJune wrote:

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!!

DONNA

Guest guest

What's and expander?

Donna

DONNA

DONNA

Guest guest

June; I finished chemo about second week of March this year. The chemo was not bad at all. I never got sick just tired, I did get pneumonia, but that was from staph that I got from surgery. The chemo actually slows you down and take advantage of that and rest. I don't know how your life was before as far as active and did you have time for you, but now you will have to take time for you. Right now, it is all about you and I hope you have the family and friend support to allow them to help you and do for you. That was tough for me because I was always so independent of everyone. It felt good though. The rads were easy. I did get burned bad the last week because I had to have a boost. But thank God I survived that too. I will keep you in my prayers. Sounds like you are a tough cookie and you have a great attitude.

Ren

Guest guest

June; I finished chemo about second week of March this year. The chemo was not bad at all. I never got sick just tired, I did get pneumonia, but that was from staph that I got from surgery. The chemo actually slows you down and take advantage of that and rest. I don't know how your life was before as far as active and did you have time for you, but now you will have to take time for you. Right now, it is all about you and I hope you have the family and friend support to allow them to help you and do for you. That was tough for me because I was always so independent of everyone. It felt good though. The rads were easy. I did get burned bad the last week because I had to have a boost. But thank God I survived that too. I will keep you in my prayers. Sounds like you are a tough cookie and you have a great attitude.

Ren

Guest guest

June; I had reconstruction when I had surgery. Implants put in. The year before I had a reduction from a DD almost triple to barley a b and I loved it. Actually that is when I found the knot after the surgery. Then when they put the implants in they gave me a D and I did not like being that large chested again. But, due to my staph infection they were taken out and I have not done anything yet, and leaning more toward nothing. I am 47 and single and I may not have anything else done.

ren

Guest guest

June,

I had 28 rads, you may get a burn from it as the

treatments go on. But other than feeling tired is only

thing i expericenced with radiation. And it goes real

fast. No need to be afraid of radiation. I nevere had

chemo, so can't tell you anything about that.

gina

--- charles svihlik wrote:

> June,

> I think it would be great to go some where special

> after your treatment is over. You deserve it. Let

> some of the relatives come to you for a change!

> Hugs

> nne

> Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Life

>

http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html

>

> Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:

> http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.html

> also check out my other ornaments and lots of nice

> gifts at:

> http://www.cancerclub.com

> RE: " Bummed " after

> visit w/ Surgical Oncologist (long, sorry)

>

>

> LOL Ingrid, I want my own Dori. I was about

> to post an update on myself. I saw the oncologist

> for the first time today. Has anyone else tried

> anything other than chemo? Don't get upset, just

> thought I'd ask. I was really upbeat until today.

> I mean not that she thought my chances were poor or

> anything, she was really encouraging actually. I

> guess the reality just hit me. I'm not familiar

> with all the terms yet but I'll start chemo on Oct

> 20th, which she's not happy with but we already have

> a planned trip to AR and won't be back until the

> 18th. Tomorrow I go in for a pet to make sure I

> don't have any other cancer problems lurking about

> and next week they're going to check and make sure

> my heart is strong enough to handle the chemo

> treatments she's choosing for me. So, it'll be

> chemo every 3 weeks for about 6 or 7 months, the 7

> weeks of radiation. I don't know which I'm more

> frightened of.

>

> LICS

> June

> " Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be

> achieved by understanding. " - Albert Einstein

>

> -----

> Hello Ladies,

>

> Well I have 3 rounds of A/C down and #4

> scheduled for next Tuesday.

> I just left the surgeons office and he wants

> me to have 4 rounds of

> Taxol also before surgery. My medical (read

> chemo) Oncologist said I

> would only need Taxol if the the sentinal

> node biopsy was not clear.

> So far my nodes have appeared clear on PET

> scan and on (hands on)

> exam.

>

> Surgeon said if I were 70 he would not do

> taxol but since I am 48 he

> wanted me to have all the benefit I can get.

> I suppose he is right.

> Both of these docs work very closely

> together so I am sure she will

> agree. I am still " bummed " though. I was

> hoping to have all this

> done by the end of the year. Guess I better

> get used to the idea of

> 9 more weeks of toxic drugs, then surgery,

> then 6 1/2 to 8 wks of

> rads.

>

> Surgery, that's another thing. He originaly

> told me lumpectomy but

> today said " maybe a lumpectomy, no

> guarantees " . In the beginning I

> was prepared for a mastectomy but was

> pleasantly surprised by him

> saying I only needed a lumpectomy. My tumor

> started at 5.5 cm and is

> now much less that 3 cm. I have a hard time

> finding it. Well, gotta

> do what I gotta do.

>

> One other thing. I may have a great tip for

> hair loss. From what I

> understand I should be as bald as a cucumber

> right now but I am not.

> As a matter of fact, my hair is actually

> growing. I did have it cut

> short (spiked) shortly after starting chemo.

> My hair stylist (ha,ha)

> recommended a professional hair care product

> called Nioxin. I have

> the scalp cleanser and scalp treatment. It

> is made for thinning and

> balding heads. Something we all know nothing

> about, right? LOL

> Evidently it works for me anyway. It has

> puzzled everyone. It has a

> really pleasant mint fragrance and is very

> cooling. Wish I had

> started it sooner. The loss of hair doesn't

> bother me so much, but

> the act of losing it did. The mess and the

> scalp pain. YUK.

>

> I have written too much already for one

> post. Everyone have a great

> day.

>

> " Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming... "

> -Dori ( " Finding Nemo " )

>

> (Yes, June I adopted this saying shortly

> after diagnosis 4 months

> ago. I have a talking, plush Dori that

> accompanies me to every

> treatment, etc.)

>

> Ingrid

> Grandma in Indy

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

June,

gina

> June,

> Hugs

> nne

>

>

> gifts at:

>

>

> frightened of.

>

> LICS

> June

>

> -----

> Hello Ladies,

>

> me to have 4 rounds of

> scan and on (hands on)

> exam.

>

> I suppose he is right.

> then 6 1/2 to 8 wks of

> rads.

>

> told me lumpectomy but

> do what I gotta do.

>

> hair loss. From what I

> called Nioxin. I have

> about, right? LOL

> cooling. Wish I had

> bother me so much, but

> scalp pain. YUK.

>

> day.

>

>

> treatment, etc.)

>

> Ingrid

> Grandma in Indy

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

June,

gina

> June,

> Hugs

> nne

>

>

> gifts at:

>

>

> frightened of.

>

> LICS

> June

>

> -----

> Hello Ladies,

>

> me to have 4 rounds of

> scan and on (hands on)

> exam.

>

> I suppose he is right.

> then 6 1/2 to 8 wks of

> rads.

>

> told me lumpectomy but

> do what I gotta do.

>

> hair loss. From what I

> called Nioxin. I have

> about, right? LOL

> cooling. Wish I had

> bother me so much, but

> scalp pain. YUK.

>

> day.

>

>

> treatment, etc.)

>

> Ingrid

> Grandma in Indy

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

what made you think of a cruise?

--- rendurall@... wrote:

> count me in I want to come too!

>

> Hey I think we should all meet and go on a cruise

> together.

>

> ren

>

Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

http://mail.yahoo.com

Guest guest

wish i was dead

--- gina kindorf wrote:

> what made you think of a cruise?

>

>

>

>

>

> --- rendurall@... wrote:

>

> > count me in I want to come too!

> >

> > Hey I think we should all meet and go on a cruise

> > together.

> >

> > ren

> >

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________

> Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

> http://mail.yahoo.com

>

Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

http://mail.yahoo.com

Guest guest

Thanks , it helps to know other people have been through it.gina kindorf wrote:

June,I had 28 rads, you may get a burn from it as thetreatments go on. But other than feeling tired is onlything i expericenced with radiation. And it goes realfast. No need to be afraid of radiation. I nevere hadchemo, so can't tell you anything about that.gina--- charles svihlik wrote:> June,> I think it would be great to go some where special> after your treatment is over. You deserve it. Let> some of the relatives come to you for a change!> Hugs> nne> Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Life>http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html> > Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:> http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.html> also check out my other ornaments and lots of nice> gifts at:> http://www.cancerclub.com> RE: "Bummed" after> visit w/ Surgical Oncologist (long, sorry)> > > LOL Ingrid, I want my own Dori. I was about> to post an update on myself. I saw the oncologist> for the first time today. Has anyone else tried> anything other than chemo? Don't get upset, just> thought I'd ask. I was really upbeat until today. > I mean not that she thought my chances were poor or> anything, she was really encouraging actually. I> guess the reality just hit me. I'm not familiar> with all the terms yet but I'll start chemo on Oct> 20th, which she's not happy with but we already have> a planned trip to AR and won't be back until the> 18th. Tomorrow I go in for a pet to make sure I> don't have any other

cancer problems lurking about> and next week they're going to check and make sure> my heart is strong enough to handle the chemo> treatments she's choosing for me. So, it'll be> chemo every 3 weeks for about 6 or 7 months, the 7> weeks of radiation. I don't know which I'm more> frightened of. > > LICS > June > "Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be> achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein > > -----> Hello Ladies,> > Well I have 3 rounds of A/C down and #4> scheduled for next Tuesday. > I just left the surgeons office and he

wants> me to have 4 rounds of > Taxol also before surgery. My medical (read> chemo) Oncologist said I > would only need Taxol if the the sentinal> node biopsy was not clear.> So far my nodes have appeared clear on PET> scan and on (hands on)> exam. > > Surgeon said if I were 70 he would not do> taxol but since I am 48 he > wanted me to have all the benefit I can get.> I suppose he is right. > Both of these docs work very closely> together so I am sure she will > agree. I am still "bummed" though.

I was> hoping to have all this > done by the end of the year. Guess I better> get used to the idea of > 9 more weeks of toxic drugs, then surgery,> then 6 1/2 to 8 wks of > rads.> > Surgery, that's another thing. He originaly> told me lumpectomy but > today said "maybe a lumpectomy, no> guarantees". In the beginning I > was prepared for a mastectomy but was> pleasantly surprised by him > saying I only needed a lumpectomy. My tumor> started at 5.5 cm and is > now much less that 3 cm. I have a hard

time> finding it. Well, gotta > do what I gotta do.> > One other thing. I may have a great tip for> hair loss. From what I > understand I should be as bald as a cucumber> right now but I am not. > As a matter of fact, my hair is actually> growing. I did have it cut > short (spiked) shortly after starting chemo.> My hair stylist (ha,ha)> recommended a professional hair care product> called Nioxin. I have > the scalp cleanser and scalp treatment. It> is made for thinning and > balding heads.

Something we all know nothing> about, right? LOL > Evidently it works for me anyway. It has> puzzled everyone. It has a > really pleasant mint fragrance and is very> cooling. Wish I had > started it sooner. The loss of hair doesn't> bother me so much, but > the act of losing it did. The mess and the> scalp pain. YUK. > > I have written too much already for one> post. Everyone have a great > day.> > "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming..."> -Dori ("Finding Nemo")> > (Yes, June I

adopted this saying shortly> after diagnosis 4 months > ago. I have a talking, plush Dori that> accompanies me to every > treatment, etc.) > > Ingrid> Grandma in Indy> > > > > >

Guest guest

I know that feeling. You get so tired of going to them, you appreciate them but tired of seeing them. Good luck.

ren

Guest guest

I know that feeling. You get so tired of going to them, you appreciate them but tired of seeing them. Good luck.

ren