RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

new

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Adrenals----and also have your B12 and your Folic Acid (plus the Red Blood Cell Folate, which gives a more accurate picture of how this lack of nutrient has affected your blood) checked. You say that you have a diet of mainly cheese and bread, plus a little eating out. It is soooo easy for a diet like this to leave you very low in folic acid. Plus, you don't eat much red meat, and this is one key to a B12 shortage, unless you're taking this vitamin in the form of a sublingual dose, as in liquid form, held under the tongue. Did you say that you have Celiac, or is that someone else? Your digestive receptors will have all kinds of trouble absorbing nutrients with that particular autoimmune disease.

Re: New

Thanks for responding. :) So far I am not enjoying taking my meds. It's only been a few weeks so I hope that changes. They aren't helping much at this point and keep me awake at night which leads me to being more tired and moody than I already am.~

Guest guest

Adrenals----and also have your B12 and your Folic Acid (plus the Red Blood Cell Folate, which gives a more accurate picture of how this lack of nutrient has affected your blood) checked. You say that you have a diet of mainly cheese and bread, plus a little eating out. It is soooo easy for a diet like this to leave you very low in folic acid. Plus, you don't eat much red meat, and this is one key to a B12 shortage, unless you're taking this vitamin in the form of a sublingual dose, as in liquid form, held under the tongue. Did you say that you have Celiac, or is that someone else? Your digestive receptors will have all kinds of trouble absorbing nutrients with that particular autoimmune disease.

Thanks for responding. :) So far I am not enjoying taking my meds. It's only been a few weeks so I hope that changes. They aren't helping much at this point and keep me awake at night which leads me to being more tired and moody than I already am.~

Guest guest

As the saying goes, there ain't no stupid questions here. When we come to the thyroid boards, we're needing info, and of thousands of people, we'll sure find out something, huh? Yes, you could ask your gp, but it's going to depend on how much he is willing to handle here and how much he knows about this stuff. In fact, though I don't know your doctor, a gp may be more willing than the endo to run these particular tests. It depends on the individual doctor. I think that the more reliable test for the B12 is the Schilling test.

I know this sounds like a stupid question but, do I just go to my gp and ask for these tests? My endo is about 3 hrs away so I will only be seeing him at my next check in March. Will my gp think I am crazy for asking for these to be checked?~

Guest guest

As the saying goes, there ain't no stupid questions here. When we come to the thyroid boards, we're needing info, and of thousands of people, we'll sure find out something, huh? Yes, you could ask your gp, but it's going to depend on how much he is willing to handle here and how much he knows about this stuff. In fact, though I don't know your doctor, a gp may be more willing than the endo to run these particular tests. It depends on the individual doctor. I think that the more reliable test for the B12 is the Schilling test.

I know this sounds like a stupid question but, do I just go to my gp and ask for these tests? My endo is about 3 hrs away so I will only be seeing him at my next check in March. Will my gp think I am crazy for asking for these to be checked?~

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have not heard of the Schilling test, guess I need to google that one. I know in the gastric bypass community we recommend a set of three: B12, MMA (Methylmalonic Acid) and Homocysteine to check the status of the B12. I know I have to do a lot of sublingual B12 to keep my numbers up and I am concentrating on the Methylcobalamin form of B12 rather than the cyanocobalamin form because it is better absorbed. It is bringing my numbers up.

Sandy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slkscb@... ~ Open RNY 12/8/03, 150 cm, Barix Clinics, 303/290 day of surgery/195 current/ goal is to be HEALTHY. Emergency appendectomy 11/1/04, Gallbladder 1/12/05. "Know your labs and track your trends." AZ Grads join us at: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AZGRADSOFWLS/

Check out my gastric bypass journal at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 for many educational links. My OH profile is at http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=M1062876220 I am not affiliated with the medical profession except as a proactive WLS post-op. "Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s." – Wilder

-- Re: New

Guest guest

Yes, the methylmalonic test is by urine, but everywhere I read, the Schilling is supposed to take the question out of whether or not a person is actually short on B12. I really don't know how that test is done. I thought that the Homocysteine was to determine about the Folic Acid. Those two nutrients are absolutely married to each other.

I have not heard of the Schilling test, guess I need to google that one. I know in the gastric bypass community we recommend a set of three: B12, MMA (Methylmalonic Acid) and Homocysteine to check the status of the B12. I know I have to do a lot of sublingual B12 to keep my numbers up and I am concentrating on the Methylcobalamin form of B12 rather than the cyanocobalamin form because it is better absorbed. It is bringing my numbers up.

Sandy

Guest guest

Yes, the methylmalonic test is by urine, but everywhere I read, the Schilling is supposed to take the question out of whether or not a person is actually short on B12. I really don't know how that test is done. I thought that the Homocysteine was to determine about the Folic Acid. Those two nutrients are absolutely married to each other.

Sandy

Guest guest

Sandy

Guest guest

The MMA is a blood test as well. The Homocysteine provides a view of how the B12, B6 and Folic Acid are doing as a group (my layman's terminology of how it works), this one and the MMA you want a lower number on.

I will research the Schilling as that is interesting.

Sandy

slkscb@... ~ Open RNY 12/8/03, 150 cm, Barix Clinics, 303/290 day of surgery/195 current/ goal is to be HEALTHY. Emergency appendectomy 11/1/04, Gallbladder 1/12/05. "Know your labs and track your trends." AZ Grads join us at: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AZGRADSOFWLS/

Check out my gastric bypass journal at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 for many educational links. My OH profile is at http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=M1062876220 I am not affiliated with the medical profession except as a proactive WLS post-op. "Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s." – Wilder

Sandy

Guest guest

The MMA is a blood test as well. The Homocysteine provides a view of how the B12, B6 and Folic Acid are doing as a group (my layman's terminology of how it works), this one and the MMA you want a lower number on.

Sandy

Sandy

Guest guest

Sandy

Sandy

Guest guest

thank you. i guess it was all just bad timing. i kind of knew on my

own that it was a bad time for my body. hopefully with the new meds

(i do feel so much better than when i conceived) i can get my body

happy and try again :)

>

> Angie... sad news... But I'm glad that you at least understand

the why

> of it... and that once things are better, that your body is

healthier...

> that it will be better for the baby if there is another in your

> future....

>

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:24:57 -0000 " angie " <peachyjones76@y...>

> writes:

> hey guys, havent been around for awhile. ironic to see this post

> upon returning. i miscarried a few weeks ago, most likely from my

> thyroid meds needing adjustment and such. i conceived within a

> couple of days of adding cytomel, but i guess my body just wasnt

up

> to it yet. <sigh> anyway, i wanted to jump in to say that i have

> had 2 very healthy pregnancies and 2 beautiful and healthy

children.

> i was very careful about having my levels checked and meds

adjusted

> regularly and everything went fine. :)

> i do also have a friend who miscarried a few years back. her doc

did

> some tests and diagnosed her hypo-t and told her when her thyroid

> was straightened out she would have better luck, which she did.

she

> has had 2 children since. thyroid problems also affect conception

> where it can inhibit ovulation. before my thyroid was removed

(from

> hashi's), i would menstruate 2x monthly, i assume one was during

> what would be my ovulation time. i was unable to conceive until

> maybe 9 months after the thyroidectomy.

> so, i agree with your doc where they say to hold off a couple of

> months and wait on your labs. also, when you do conceive, make

sure

> you remind your ob/gyn to keep an eye on your levels and meds. i

had

> 2 med increases with my first and 3 with my second (all the way up

> to 350 mcg of synthroid). i have also been told that good thyroid

> levels affect your baby's intelligence, and i must say i have 2

very

> smart kiddos over here <wink wink>. i learned on this site

> (topper???) that baby's size can be affected. my son was 10 lb 3

oz,

> no diabetes or anything. pregnancy and thyroid have so much to do

> with each other, but once your body is on track i bet all will be

> fine :) good luck!

> angie

>

Guest guest

>

the why

healthier...

> future....

>

> writes:

up

children.

adjusted

did

she

(from

sure

had

very

oz,

> angie

>

Guest guest

>

the why

healthier...

> future....

>

> writes:

up

children.

adjusted

did

she

(from

sure

had

very

oz,

> angie

>

Guest guest

I am new to this group. I joined because I really need to talk to

people that are going thur what I am going thur. I am a private

person and was raised to take care of my family first. My problems

are my problems are should be kept last. But ever since I was

diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. I have found that keeping it

all inside is make me go crazy. I yell all the time. I have 3 kids

of my own and my fiancee has 2 kids. We started seeing each other 7

months after I was diagnosed. It scared me to get involved with him

because of my health. I am not use to somebody caring about me. I am

still trying to readjust my habits about keeping it to myself. My

doctor thought that maybe if I joined one of these groups it will

help me. I don't want to lose my fiancee or my kids(I consider his

kids my family too). Reading some of the true life stories about

what some of you are going thur makes me feel more secure about

myself. I even get scared when I look at my breast. The question

always is " What is going to happen the next time I go in? " . I am

sure that is a question that is asked a lot. But I still have a hard

time talking about my problems and I am hoping that this group will

help me be able to talk to my fiancee a little more freely. I look

at them every night and I see them but I never see me with them. My

doctor says I have to open up to them and then maybe I can see

myself with my family. Any good advice is welcomed. I am up to

suggestions.

Guest guest

Hi and welcome to the group. Fear of the unknown is the worst. It seems like it takes forever for tests and results. Remember that breast cancer is not the death sentence it was once thought to be.

You need to try to talk to your fiance and then talk to the chidren. You need to put yourself first for now. I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs

nne

Breast Cancer Patients Soul Mates for Lifehttp://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/breastcancerpatients.html

Check out my breast cancer ornaments at:http://www.geocities.com/chucky5741/bcornament.htmlalso check out my other ornaments and lots of nice gifts at:http://www.cancerclub.com

new

I am new to this group. I joined because I really need to talk to people that are going thur what I am going thur. I am a private person and was raised to take care of my family first. My problems are my problems are should be kept last. But ever since I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. I have found that keeping it all inside is make me go crazy. I yell all the time. I have 3 kids of my own and my fiancee has 2 kids. We started seeing each other 7 months after I was diagnosed. It scared me to get involved with him because of my health. I am not use to somebody caring about me. I am still trying to readjust my habits about keeping it to myself. My doctor thought that maybe if I joined one of these groups it will help me. I don't want to lose my fiancee or my kids(I consider his kids my family too). Reading some of the true life stories about what some of you are going thur makes me feel more secure about myself. I even get scared when I look at my breast. The question always is "What is going to happen the next time I go in?". I am sure that is a question that is asked a lot. But I still have a hard time talking about my problems and I am hoping that this group will help me be able to talk to my fiancee a little more freely. I look at them every night and I see them but I never see me with them. My doctor says I have to open up to them and then maybe I can see myself with my family. Any good advice is welcomed. I am up to suggestions.

Guest guest

I am almost a 4 yr survivor and it was hard when I first found out I had cancer...It was hard because I was working and had to miss one week of work every three weeks for 8 treatments of Chemo...The girls in the office and the boss told me I was taking too much time off and making some of the other girls work a little harder...If it had been anyone else in the office they would not have complained and asked that person what they could do to help out...It was extra hard on me because my mom passed away after I had finished 4 rounds of chemo... I had to depend on some of my moms friends to take me to the rest of my chemo treatments..because I did not have many friends... You should tell the members of your family so that they can help you... Good Luck ... If you have any questions

post them in an e-mail and someone will answer your question... In this group there are so many people I have not gotton to know anyone... I also go to 4BSurvivors@... are a small group of woman survivors...and they have chat on Tues. nights. and also send e-mail messages.. Betsy (NC) Note: forwarded message attached.

Amy,

I am sorry you are having a hard time with this. Having this

diagnosis is never easy and it can be hard discussing your feelings

and emotions with others. Getting involved in online and in-person

support groups could benefit you greatly in the sense that you will

be given an opportunity to share your feelings about what you are

going through. Keep strong and know that we are here to help you and

hear you.

Take care,

Ingrid

>

> I am new to this group. I joined because I really need to talk to

> people that are going thur what I am going thur. I am a private

> person and was raised to take care of my family first. My problems

> are my problems are should be kept last. But ever since I was

> diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. I have found that keeping it

> all inside is make me go crazy. I yell all the time. I have 3 kids

> of my own and my fiancee has 2 kids. We started seeing each other 7

> months after I was diagnosed. It scared me to get involved with him

> because of my health. I am not use to somebody caring about me. I

am

> still trying to readjust my habits about keeping it to myself. My

> doctor thought that maybe if I joined one of these groups it will

> help me. I don't want to lose my fiancee or my kids(I consider his

> kids my family too). Reading some of the true life stories about

> what some of you are going thur makes me feel more secure about

> myself. I even get scared when I look at my breast. The question

> always is " What is going to happen the next time I go in? " . I am

> sure that is a question that is asked a lot. But I still have a

hard

> time talking about my problems and I am hoping that this group will

> help me be able to talk to my fiancee a little more freely. I look

> at them every night and I see them but I never see me with them. My

> doctor says I have to open up to them and then maybe I can see

> myself with my family. Any good advice is welcomed. I am up to

> suggestions.

>

Guest guest

I have requested that book from the library. I have a need even more basic than using my intuition to decide when and what to eat. I need to remember to listen to it. Often I am eating before I even realize it - so unconsciously. Lately when I am more aware, I think about it, hear not to (because instead of asking what I want, or if I am even hungry, I ask if I can have a certain food when the urge hits me) and then I say 'f%*# it" I am eating anyway. All kinds of anger at limiting myself around food is coming up. When I am meditating I get that the bigger picture of honoring myself and god includes honoring the aspect of god/energy (for me that is the same) that IS my body. But most of the time I am not that lucid. So I am dealing with the emotions that demand the food - through OA and

some spiritual/energy work. Just like I could not impose my will to 'just stop eating so badly', as a friend said recently, I cannot force myself to use my intuition when my 'stuff' is up. Baby steps. Thanx for the recommendation and the welcome.Eileen

Hi Eileen,

Welcome to the group!

Have you had an opportunity to get the book "Intuitive Eating"? I think you will find it very helpful! You are not alone; emotional eating is a problem for a lot of us.

We're here to help!

All the best,

Jeanne

Guest guest

I have requested that book from the library. I have a need even more basic than using my intuition to decide when and what to eat. I need to remember to listen to it. Often I am eating before I even realize it - so unconsciously. Lately when I am more aware, I think about it, hear not to (because instead of asking what I want, or if I am even hungry, I ask if I can have a certain food when the urge hits me) and then I say 'f%*# it" I am eating anyway. All kinds of anger at limiting myself around food is coming up. When I am meditating I get that the bigger picture of honoring myself and god includes honoring the aspect of god/energy (for me that is the same) that IS my body. But most of the time I am not that lucid. So I am dealing with the emotions that demand the food - through OA and

some spiritual/energy work. Just like I could not impose my will to 'just stop eating so badly', as a friend said recently, I cannot force myself to use my intuition when my 'stuff' is up. Baby steps. Thanx for the recommendation and the welcome.Eileen

Hi Eileen,

Welcome to the group!

Have you had an opportunity to get the book "Intuitive Eating"? I think you will find it very helpful! You are not alone; emotional eating is a problem for a lot of us.

We're here to help!

All the best,

Jeanne

Guest guest

Hi Eileen,

Welcome to the group!

We're here to help!

All the best,

Jeanne