RemedySpot.com

Re: Phase 1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

On another, purely anecdotal note..I moved to Atlanta from NYC in 1999. As soon as I moved down here, my grocery bill went from $300/month to about $800/month. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong. Everything I'm saving in rent, I am making up in groceries.

This month, I got a Costco membership and a vacuum sealer, and that is helping quite a bit, as I can now buy in bulk and freeze things. But just yesterday I spent $300 in Costco, LOL. Got a bag of 46 Mozzarella Cheese Sticks for $7...hope I can use them before they go bad.

NikCarol Parsons wrote:

The prices where I am are the same as where you are. I think we need to move. lol Carol

RE: Phase 1

Wow, ...I want to live/shop where you do! (I hear what you're saying about coupons, etc. but I find them to mostly be for processed food items I don't use anyway). I've added to your list with the prices I've just paid in Atlanta for the same items - actually reading off the receipt now!

Niki

Some recent buys....(and the attendant Atlanta prices in parentheses)1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each ($1.29 in Atlanta)2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb (I pay $2.99 lb. on sale)3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb (I pay $2.50/lb)4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can (89-99 cents a can)5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can (89 - 99)6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb ($2.99/lb)7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head (1.99/head)8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$5 (2 for $5)9) Garlic -- 3/$1 about 99 cents a large bulb)10) Onions -- 59 cents a pound ($1.49/lb)11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $1 (1 bunch for $1.69)12) Milk -- $1.65/gallon ($2.99 gal)13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet (don't use)14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen ($1.19/doz)Interesting, no?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When the world gets in my face, I say......HAVE A NICE DAY"

- Bon Jovi 2005

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bon Jovi 2005

Yahoo! for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

>On another, purely anecdotal note..I moved to Atlanta from NYC in 1999.

>As soon as I moved down here, my grocery bill went from $300/month to

>about $800/month. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong. Everything

>I'm saving in rent, I am making up in groceries.

that seems so wrong to me, Nikki! NYC is supposed to be this incredibly

expensive place but i find that food prices here are pretty average. everywhere

else i go on a regular basis seems about the same price, with the exception of

San Fran, where everything seems more expensive (except for real estate).

~risa

I never see milk here in NJ less than about $3.89 per gal and I'm not even going to bore you with the other price comparsions. I "cherry-pick" at 2 local stores too.

Jackie - Where in NJ do you live? Wegmans has milk for $2.09 a gallon. I forget what it is at Sam's but it is definitely less than $3.

Anyone tried the Fuze drinks? That's my latest obsession. I'm glad they are hard to find because they are expensive too!

That's what I was thinking Carol. Sure isn't like that around here.

I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can. Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that around here. Carol

> I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say.

> Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find

> a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no

> name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can.

> Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that

> around here. Carol

Carol -- Where are you again?

I regularly hit the produce stores to check out their discounted produce --

the stuff that's JUST started to turn (a head of cauliflower with a little

browning). The local grocers are very competitive and have sales all the

time. These are major chains -- Meijer & Kroger primarily. Kroger runs a

10 for $10 sale on their frozen vegetables all the time. Cauliflower is

commonly on sale 2/$4, occasionally 2/$3. Standard sale pricing on canned

goods brings the price down 40 cents a can.

Maybe a cost-of-living-center difference?

> Where do you shop to get prices like this? We spend

> about 500 (or more!) a month to feed 6 of us, 1 dog and 1

> cat! I have 4 boys from 13-6 who eat like pigs! AND, I

> don't buy all the junk food. I would love to lower my

> grocery bill.

It's all about the sales. We shop primarily at Kroger & Meijer,

occasionally at Bigg's. I'll pull out the ads here in a bit and post some

of the current sale pricing down here.

The ONLY way to make it work though is to keep a solid pantry. I have 4

shop cabinets and a large chest freezer that are flat out dedicated to my

pantry needs and I'm about to add some more cabinets to it to clear things

out of my closets.

I live in "upper lower Michigan". If you use your hand as the map of Michigan, I am about the first knuckle of your index finger. I have to drive a half hour to get to any store, so I can't really shop around. I was going to save a lot but find that I actually spend a lot more there. Lately they put in a Walmart Super store so I have been going there and getting mostly walmart brand stuff. The IGA that is here in town (only store) is very expensive. There is a fruit market but it's a half hour in another direction. It's by my mom's so I go there when I go to my mom's but of course produce doesn't last long so I can't "stock up" on much of that. I know my problem is that I live in the middle of no where so I don't have all the options people that live in cities have. Carol

> I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. > Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find> a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no> name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can.> Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that> around here. CarolCarol -- Where are you again?I regularly hit the produce stores to check out their discounted produce --the stuff that's JUST started to turn (a head of cauliflower with a littlebrowning). The local grocers are very competitive and have sales all thetime. These are major chains -- Meijer & Kroger primarily. Kroger runs a10 for $10 sale on their frozen vegetables all the time. Cauliflower iscommonly on sale 2/$4, occasionally 2/$3. Standard sale pricing on cannedgoods brings the price down 40 cents a can.Maybe a cost-of-living-center difference?

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

hard to find?? i see them at wal-mart here all the time

Get out!

I wrote the company but Shop-Rite was the only retailer I recognized and the ones in reasonable driving distance don't carry it!

I thought it was delish.

Carol,

It will cost you more in gas these days to shop around...LOL

MB

-- Original Message -----

To: South-Beach-Diet-Getting-It-Right

Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 4:10 PM

Subject: Re: Phase 1

I live in "upper lower Michigan". If you use your hand as the map of Michigan, I am about the first knuckle of your index finger. I have to drive a half hour to get to any store, so I can't really shop around. I was going to save a lot but find that I actually spend a lot more there. Lately they put in a Walmart Super store so I have been going there and getting mostly walmart brand stuff. The IGA that is here in town (only store) is very expensive. There is a fruit market but it's a half hour in another direction. It's by my mom's so I go there when I go to my mom's but of course produce doesn't last long so I can't "stock up" on much of that. I know my problem is that I live in the middle of no where so I don't have all the options people that live in cities have. Carol

> I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. > Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find> a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no> name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can.> Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that> around here. CarolCarol -- Where are you again?I regularly hit the produce stores to check out their discounted produce --the stuff that's JUST started to turn (a head of cauliflower with a littlebrowning). The local grocers are very competitive and have sales all thetime. These are major chains -- Meijer & Kroger primarily. Kroger runs a10 for $10 sale on their frozen vegetables all the time. Cauliflower iscommonly on sale 2/$4, occasionally 2/$3. Standard sale pricing on cannedgoods brings the price down 40 cents a can.Maybe a cost-of-living-center difference?

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

Blame the food processing industry. All that crap people eat that makes them

fat is not real food - just concoctions of ingredients that we find

tasteful. The industry knows this and wants to sell it by the truckload. How

do they do it? Part of it is price. They take less profit and make up for it

and then some with volume. And it's stuff that many find addicting.

I look at it differently. Good food isn't more expensive. Good food is

simply good food and it's is priced where it is. Garbage " food " (and it's

not really food) is priced to sucker us in.

Chuck

Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that fresh healthy food like

what's on this diet, is more expensive than other food? Yikes, I'm spending

a fortune at the store.

I don't really have a choice anyway. I have no money to get any other foods

lol

I'm 5'4 " and my goal is 145 also. Once I get there, I will see if I

think I need to lose more, but I won't go below 120. My normal weight

was always 105 before I gained weight, but at 51 years old, I don't

feel like being a size 5 again.

ann

> Yes; I need to lose another 55 lbs to be at 145. I think that would

be a good weight for me; even though doctors say for my height ( I am

5'3 " ) I should be between 109 and 120. I think that is too small.

Yes, it is ridiculous! We have been broke for 6 months from buying the

healthy foods!

ann

> Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that fresh healthy

food like what's on this diet, is more expensive than other food?

Yikes, I'm spending a fortune at the store.

We've staarted buying as much as we can at Aldi's, where it is really

inexpensive. They don't have the lowfat, low sodium stuff, tho, so we

go to the regular grocery store for those.

ann

> I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. Example:

Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find a GOOD sale),

frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no name stuff, canned

veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can. Don't know where you shop

but there's no where like that around here. Carol

Ok , I live in Dayton and do not find the same prices as you! I think I'm heading to Cinti to shop. :)

> Where do you shop to get prices like this? We spend> about 500 (or more!) a month to feed 6 of us, 1 dog and 1> cat! I have 4 boys from 13-6 who eat like pigs! AND, I > don't buy all the junk food. I would love to lower my> grocery bill.It's all about the sales. We shop primarily at Kroger & Meijer,occasionally at Bigg's. I'll pull out the ads here in a bit and post someof the current sale pricing down here.The ONLY way to make it work though is to keep a solid pantry. I have 4shop cabinets and a large chest freezer that are flat out dedicated to mypantry needs and I'm about to add some more cabinets to it to clear thingsout of my closets.

Holy Cow! Where do you live?

I never see milk here in NJ less than about $3.89 per gal and I'm not even going to bore you with the other price comparsions. I "cherry-pick" at 2 local stores too.

I agree with the thing you say about coupons. I use less coupons than ever. these days.

Jackie Siciliano~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecisionand Southwest of Disorder~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

----- Original Message -----

> I only have $150 I can spend on food every month so that> is why I have such a problem.Our monthly budget for all items purchased at the grocery store is $300.This includes not only food but cleaning supplies, pet food (3 dogs, 3cats), diapers ($$$$ there -- got 2 in 'em), and so forth. This feeds the 4of us -- me, wife, and 2 toddlers. On just food, we average right around$150-$200.Some recent buys....1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$59) Garlic -- 3/$110) Onions -- 59 cents a pound11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $112) Milk -- $1.65/gallon13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen(BTW, medium eggs go on sale about once every month or so at 33 cents adozen.)

You're going to love you sealer. Last week I put 8 - 10 lbs of Perdue bonless breasts in the freezer (buy 1/get 1 free) and about 6 lbs of pork loin.

Let me tell you, if you have not tried the soy marniated pork loin recipe from the cookbook you are missing out on a great meal!

Jackie Siciliano~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecisionand Southwest of Disorder~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

This month, I got a Costco membership and a vacuum sealer, and that is helping quite a bit, as I can now buy in bulk and freeze things. But just yesterday I spent $300 in Costco, LOL. Got a bag of 46 Mozzarella Cheese Sticks for $7...hope I can use them before they go bad.

Nik

Somone has to be paid to cook it.

Payroll employer taxes in addition to the wage per hour

It cost money to build the building

There are taxes on that building and insurance

Electricity and other utilities to keep the place clean and running

paper to wrap the product in

Profit for the business

YES YES YES OHMIGOD YES lol sorry but I have been in that situationso many times!! It makes no sense! I can buy hamburger for $2.99 lb and chicken for $1.99 lb but why does it cost more to buy it cooked???

I'm in the Manahawkin area. Main stores are Pathmark, ShopRite and Superfresh. ShopRite is a nightmare though. I think to go back there I'd need valium or something!

Jackie - Where in NJ do you live? Wegmans has milk for $2.09 a gallon. I forget what it is at Sam's but it is definitely less than $3.

Anyone tried the Fuze drinks? That's my latest obsession. I'm glad they are hard to find because they are expensive too!

My Italian DH refers to these things as "forever cheese".

;-)

>Got a bag of 46 Mozzarella Cheese Sticks for $7...hope I can use them before they go bad.GFL

damn your milk is cheap!!!!! wow! I wish it was that cheap here. I have 2 kids in diapers too so I understand the $$$$. One of mine is 3 months so I am buying formula.... ehhh... god that stuff is expensive!! I also wish we had canned veggies that cheap too. Before we go grocery shopping we get ads from all the stores and find the cheapest things at the best places. If I can't find chicken ( i only buy boneless/skinless btw) for $2 a lb I won't buy it. The cheapest I have ever found hamburger is $2.99 but that is ground sirloin. I used to buy the cheapest beef I could find but when we (my hubby & I) started the diet I started buying sirloin and wow it is go much better tasting. Oh and eggs for 33 cents... wow; I believe the best I have seen here is 50 cents. Honestly, I wish I could find a someone with some chickens (I'm in OK so it can't be that hard) I would prefer fresh

eggs.

I do have some great news though; we are moving into our 3 bedroom upstairs apartment at the end of this month so next year I will try to make a tiny garden on my balcony.

Given the ability to stock up with a well proportioned pantry, the above caneasily be put into a $150/month budget.Now, I'll be the first to admit that one can get a LOT more garbage food forthat amount but the thing is, it's not only unhealthy but it doesn't satisfyyour nutritional needs so you end up eating MORE of it. To draw a bit of anoff-color comparison, it's like dog foods -- if you get th elow quality, lowpriced foods, the dogs eat more and, ahem, leave more behind if you knowwhat I mean. BUT, if you get a mid-grade food they eat less and go lessbecause they are not as nutritionally deficient.To REALLY make those $$$ stretch, it's equally important to send the savingsmentality into other shopping arenas. I use coupons extensively to savemoney on

both food and non-food products. Someone on one of the groups wastelling me how she used to work for a company that did the marketing oncoupons and that they are designed to get you to spend MORE rather thansave. This is only the case on the surface -- if you apply the couponsalong with sales, especially at stores that have coupon doubling/tripling,you can REALLY save big. This is especially true when the coupons are forproducts that we already use in the first place.FWIW, a garden also goes a LONG way in this endeavor and I can't recommendit enough. I know that I've saved a great deal of money by simply eatinghome grown foods. My folks and inlaws have given me 150+ tomatoes this yearand my own are finally starting to produce as well. ANYONE can have agarden, even those with no land. (I think we talked about that here acouple of weeks back too!)Believe me -- I'm about as tight as it

gets here and I make do on verylittle these days (seems like it keeps getting to be less and less).__________________________________________________

oh yeah that is what I pay tooNikki Beth wrote:

Wow, ...I want to live/shop where you do! (I hear what you're saying about coupons, etc. but I find them to mostly be for processed food items I don't use anyway). I've added to your list with the prices I've just paid in Atlanta for the same items - actually reading off the receipt now!

Niki

Some recent buys....(and the attendant Atlanta prices in parentheses)1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each ($1.29 in Atlanta)2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb (I pay $2.99 lb. on sale)3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb (I pay $2.50/lb)4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can (89-99 cents a can)5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can (89 - 99)6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb ($2.99/lb)7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head (1.99/head)8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$5 (2 for $5)9) Garlic -- 3/$1 about 99 cents a large bulb)10) Onions -- 59 cents a pound ($1.49/lb)11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $1 (1 bunch for $1.69)12) Milk -- $1.65/gallon ($2.99 gal)13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet (don't use)14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen ($1.19/doz)Interesting, no?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bon Jovi 2005

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

I will admit that when I find somethings on sale I do put them in the chest freezer. Last time we got chicken on sale we got like 20lbs of it.Noctaire wrote:

> Where do you shop to get prices like this? We spend> about 500 (or more!) a month to feed 6 of us, 1 dog and 1> cat! I have 4 boys from 13-6 who eat like pigs! AND, I > don't buy all the junk food. I would love to lower my> grocery bill.It's all about the sales. We shop primarily at Kroger & Meijer,occasionally at Bigg's. I'll pull out the ads here in a bit and post someof the current sale pricing down here.The ONLY way to make it work though is to keep a solid pantry. I have 4shop cabinets and a large chest freezer that are flat out dedicated to mypantry needs and I'm about to add some more cabinets to it to clear thingsout of my closets.

My mom has to drive half an hour to shop too and I used to so I know that one. There is an IGA about 30 minutes from me and they are pretty expensive. I tend to hit a store here called Aldi (ok you have to buy the grocery bags and rent the shopping carts if that tells you anything) and i buy wal-mart brand things. Our albertson's has things for 10 for $10 alot but they are mainly junk things.Carol Parsons wrote:

> I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. > Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find> a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no> name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can.> Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that> around here. CarolCarol -- Where are you again?I regularly hit the produce stores to check out their discounted produce --the stuff that's JUST started to turn (a head of cauliflower with a littlebrowning). The local grocers are very competitive and have sales all thetime. These are major chains -- Meijer & Kroger primarily. Kroger runs a10 for $10 sale on their frozen vegetables all the time. Cauliflower iscommonly on sale 2/$4, occasionally 2/$3. Standard sale pricing on cannedgoods brings the price down 40 cents a can.Maybe a

cost-of-living-center difference?

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

Hey now gas is going down lol. We got gas today at $2.61-Beth wrote:

Carol,

It will cost you more in gas these days to shop around...LOL

MB

-- Original Message -----

To: South-Beach-Diet-Getting-It-Right

Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 4:10 PM

Subject: Re: Phase 1

> I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. > Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find> a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no> name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can.> Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that> around here. CarolCarol -- Where are you again?I regularly hit the produce stores to check out their discounted produce --the stuff that's JUST started to turn (a head of cauliflower with a littlebrowning). The local grocers are very competitive and have sales all thetime. These are major chains -- Meijer & Kroger primarily. Kroger runs a10 for $10 sale on their frozen vegetables all the time. Cauliflower iscommonly on sale 2/$4, occasionally 2/$3. Standard sale pricing on cannedgoods brings the price down 40 cents a can.Maybe a

cost-of-living-center difference?