RemedySpot.com

Re: Phase 1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The book recommends no more than 2 weeks. It serves no useful purpose to

stay on longer since what was supposed to take place has happened - detox.

Chuck

Phase 1

> How long can you stay on Phase 1 without adverse health effects from

> not getting enought fruit? Specificaly vitamin C?

>

> How long can you stay on Phase 1 without adverse health

> effects from not getting enought fruit? Specificaly vitamin C?

The whole point of P1 is to get your blood chemistry under control. After 2

weeks, that's pretty much accomplished and there's no value to continuing it

further. As for when adverse health effects kick in, that varies. BTW, you

do not need to eat fruit to get vitamin C -- it typically isn't even the

best source of it.

the book states that if you are doing well on phase one and are no having bad cravings then you can do it for 3-4 weeksjmascia307 wrote:

How long can you stay on Phase 1 without adverse health effects from not getting enought fruit? Specificaly vitamin C?__________________________________________________

I don't recall it saying anything like that. What page does it say that?

Chuck

the book states that if you are doing well on phase one and are no having bad cravings then you can do it for 3-4 weeks

But only if you have a lot to lose. Ive been on plan for 2 years and on a lot of lists. I can tell you that it is VERY rare for a person to keep losing by sticking to phase one for longer. They usually always stall until they move on to phase II. Carol

Bthe book states that if you are doing well on phase one and are no having bad cravings then you can do it for 3-4 weeksjmascia307 wrote: How long can you stay on Phase 1 without adverse health effects from not getting enought fruit? Specificaly vitamin C?

I am lucky; I am not having that problem. I have been on it for 2.5 weeks and I am losing a pound a day.Carol Parsons wrote:

But only if you have a lot to lose. Ive been on plan for 2 years and on a lot of lists. I can tell you that it is VERY rare for a person to keep losing by sticking to phase one for longer. They usually always stall until they move on to phase II. Carol

Bthe book states that if you are doing well on phase one and are no having bad cravings then you can do it for 3-4 weeksjmascia307 wrote: How long can you stay on Phase 1 without adverse health effects from not getting enought fruit? Specificaly vitamin C?

But... you will continue to loose if you moved to Phase 2. Phase I is NOT good from a nutritional value standpoint and is why the plan tells you to not be tempted to stay on Phase I.

From the book, page 102 - "... we strongly urge all the people we counsel to switch to Phase 2 after the second week, no matter how tempting it is to stay on Phase 1."

Remember, Phase I is eliminating entire food groups that we really need in the long term.

Chuck

I am lucky; I am not having that problem. I have been on it for 2.5 weeks and I am losing a pound a day.Carol Parsons wrote:

I have a lot to lose, but I only did phase 1 for two weeks anyway.

Phase 1 is so restrictive, I don't know why anyone would want to do it

longer. The idea of SBD is to get used to eating right, not to

restrict ourselves so badly that we end up giving up on losing weight.

So, I wouldn't do it longer than 2 weeks.

ann

> But only if you have a lot to lose. Ive been on plan for 2 years and

on a lot of lists. I can tell you that it is VERY rare for a person to

keep losing by sticking to phase one for longer. They usually always

stall until they move on to phase II. Carol

I would have no problem sticking to it longer. I do not want bread and not really wanting any fruit. I am still lucky enough to be losing the weight. I will probably stick with it until the end of this month... I don't really have a choice anyway. I have no money to get any other foods lolann wrote:

I have a lot to lose, but I only did phase 1 for two weeks anyway. Phase 1 is so restrictive, I don't know why anyone would want to do it longer. The idea of SBD is to get used to eating right, not to restrict ourselves so badly that we end up giving up on losing weight. So, I wouldn't do it longer than 2 weeks.ann> But only if you have a lot to lose. Ive been on plan for 2 years and on a lot of lists. I can tell you that it is VERY rare for a person to keep losing by sticking to phase one for longer. They usually always stall until they move on to phase II. Carol

Yahoo! for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Yes; I need to lose another 55 lbs to be at 145. I think that would be a good weight for me; even though doctors say for my height ( I am 5'3" ) I should be between 109 and 120. I think that is too small.ann wrote:

Do you have a lot to lose?ann> I am lucky; I am not having that problem. I have been on it for 2.5 weeks and I am losing a pound a day.

Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that fresh healthy food like what's on this diet, is more expensive than other food? Yikes, I'm spending a fortune at the store.

I don't really have a choice anyway. I have no money to get any other foods lol

Yes, and I also find it amusing that a can of tomatoes

with LESS stuff in it (namely sugar) costs more than

the can of tomatoes with MORE stuff in it.

I was ticked because DH and I were in a hurry and

buzzed through the drive-thru at Mcs. He got a

McChicken and a side salad off the dollar menu, we

thought I could do the same but with a grilled chicken

sandwich (toss the bread), then just cut up the

chicken over the salad.. but the grilled chicken

sandwich is NOT on the dollar menu, so I ended up

getting a salad that cost me $4 something. Why does

fried/breaded chicken cost less than just plain

grilled chicken?

Jen in ND

--- aka Suzy-Q wrote:

> Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that

> fresh healthy food like what's on this diet, is more

> expensive than other food? Yikes, I'm spending a

> fortune at the store.

Yahoo! for Good

Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/

> Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that fresh

> healthy food like what's on this diet, is more expensive

> than other food? Yikes, I'm spending a fortune at the

> store.

We've had this discussion here before, but.... :)

So much of this really comes down to smart shopping. Fresh produce is

certainly more expensive than the canned version but the superior health

benefits are substantial. That said, there's no reason you cannot used

canned goods as well. Personally, I prefer the no-salt-added varieties (low

sodium here). An even better compromise is to go halfway -- buy frozen.

Probably the key to this though is to maintain a well stocked pantry. See,

nothing I buy is at full price. I use LOTS of coupons, hit the clearances,

sales, you name it. We have a large chest freezer in the laundry room where

I stock vegetables -- when they go on sale I usually get 50 or 60 pounds.

Another cabinet holds canned goods -- it is not at all uncommon for us to

find sales, especially clearances, where the store puts canned vegetables

out at 10 cents a can. In such cases, we'll buy as many as a couple hundred

cans to stock in the cabinets.

The chest freezer also holds flour in substantial quantities -- typically,

50 or more pounds at a time.

What's more, we hit the sales and clearances on meats as well. A day or so

before the " Sell By " date, many grocers mark their meats down. There's

usually nothing wrong with them, the grocer just wants it cleared out.

Under such conditions, prices are 50% or so off.

Cheese will keep in the freezer just fine for up to 6 months. The grocery

stores have it on sale at 3 for $5 all the time, and every once in a great

while it comes down to 4 for $5. Even better -- Kraft has coupons for their

cheeses all the time. A coupon for save 50 cents on 2 that doubles plus a 4

for $5 sale makes a bag of 2% shredded cheddar go from $3.49/bag to 75

cents.

So, long made short, you CAN eat healthy without spending a mint -- it just

takes some work on the shopping front. :)

Nope!! You most certainly are not the only one!! I think that is why so many people are unhealthy; my brother has 7 people in his house that he has to feed and he makes minimam wage so they don't get much healthy food. aka Suzy-Q wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that fresh healthy food like what's on this diet, is more expensive than other food? Yikes, I'm spending a fortune at the store.

I don't really have a choice anyway. I have no money to get any other foods lol

YES YES YES OHMIGOD YES lol sorry but I have been in that situationso many times!! It makes no sense! I can buy hamburger for $2.99 lb and chicken for $1.99 lb but why does it cost more to buy it cooked???Jen Polk wrote:

Yes, and I also find it amusing that a can of tomatoeswith LESS stuff in it (namely sugar) costs more thanthe can of tomatoes with MORE stuff in it.I was ticked because DH and I were in a hurry andbuzzed through the drive-thru at Mcs. He got aMcChicken and a side salad off the dollar menu, wethought I could do the same but with a grilled chickensandwich (toss the bread), then just cut up thechicken over the salad.. but the grilled chickensandwich is NOT on the dollar menu, so I ended upgetting a salad that cost me $4 something. Why doesfried/breaded chicken cost less than just plaingrilled chicken?Jen in ND--- aka Suzy-Q wrote:> Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that> fresh healthy food like what's on this diet, is more>

expensive than other food? Yikes, I'm spending a> fortune at the store. ______________________________________________________ Yahoo! for Good Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/

I only have $150 I can spend on food every month so that is why I have such a problem.

Probably the key to this though is to maintain a well stocked pantry. See,nothing I buy is at full price. I use LOTS of coupons, hit the clearances,sales, you name it. We have a large chest freezer in the laundry room whereI stock vegetables -- when they go on sale I usually get 50 or 60 pounds.Another cabinet holds canned goods -- it is not at all uncommon for us tofind sales, especially clearances, where the store puts canned vegetablesout at 10 cents a can. In such cases, we'll buy as many as a couple hundredcans to stock in the cabinets.The chest freezer also holds flour in substantial quantities -- typically,50 or more pounds at a time.What's more, we hit the sales and clearances on meats as well. A day or sobefore the "Sell By" date, many grocers mark their meats down. There'susually nothing wrong with them, the grocer just wants it cleared out.Under such conditions,

prices are 50% or so off.Cheese will keep in the freezer just fine for up to 6 months. The grocerystores have it on sale at 3 for $5 all the time, and every once in a greatwhile it comes down to 4 for $5. Even better -- Kraft has coupons for theircheeses all the time. A coupon for save 50 cents on 2 that doubles plus a 4for $5 sale makes a bag of 2% shredded cheddar go from $3.49/bag to 75cents.So, long made short, you CAN eat healthy without spending a mint -- it justtakes some work on the shopping front. :)

I agree that the food on this diet is more expensive. There are a a lot of very lucky people ( & do not realize how lucky they are), on this diet who can get into eating soups & stews & chinese stir fry (so long as they use brown rice) & many things like that & they are quick to point to these things. However, I am not one who can eat many carbs at all & not gain weight & these things do not work at all for me & so I do have to buy the more expensive cuts of low fat cheese & meats & fish & very few fresh fruits (because they can also make me gain back lbs) & the fresh or frozen veggies ( & I also have to eat the egg beaters instead of whole eggs because of cholesterol issues). I think that if you are one who can get by with eating the whole grains & brown rice & whole wheat pasta, probably this diet is not as expensive for you as it is for those who cannot eat those things & not gain back very hard lost lbs. For some, we just cannot eat many fresh fruits or whole grains & not gain weight no matter what the SBD diet book say's or most on this list claim & we just have to settle for less variety & more expensive foods. Perhaps some others have picky appetites that only like the most expensive foods. I know that I have posted a few times & immediately get a list of foods that someone else thinks I can eat just because they can get by with eating them (ham is one that comes to mind), but everyones system can react differently & just because they can eat these things & lose weight does not mean that everyone can. I would a lot rather be able to eat them than stuck with unable to like I am. Even so, I do whatever I have to do that works the best for me & I am glad to net the good blood tests & avoid prescription meds that I do not know any others my age (or even others 10 years younger either) who do not take prescription meds & the more expensive foods are a far better alternative than the even more expensive prescription meds are that are not as good for me as eating healthy on this diet is. I feel the health benefits & prescription meds not needed more than offset the higher cost of the healthy foods on this diet (at least they do for me).

Orchid

Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can. Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that around here.

I just bought a head for $1.39! I buy my produce at a local farm stand but the cost of gas getting there probably equals out. LOL.

BTW - I'm new here and am happy to find this great group. I started 15 days ago and am nervous about adding back in foods. It seems so easy to do the way it is now.

For anyone who hasn't tried the recipes in the back of the SB book, you should. I've made quite a few and they are delicious!

> I only have $150 I can spend on food every month so that

> is why I have such a problem.

Our monthly budget for all items purchased at the grocery store is $300.

This includes not only food but cleaning supplies, pet food (3 dogs, 3

cats), diapers ($$$$ there -- got 2 in 'em), and so forth. This feeds the 4

of us -- me, wife, and 2 toddlers. On just food, we average right around

$150-$200.

Some recent buys....

1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each

2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb

3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb

4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can

5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can

6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb

7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head

8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$5

9) Garlic -- 3/$1

10) Onions -- 59 cents a pound

11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $1

12) Milk -- $1.65/gallon

13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet

14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen

(BTW, medium eggs go on sale about once every month or so at 33 cents a

dozen.)

Given the ability to stock up with a well proportioned pantry, the above can

easily be put into a $150/month budget.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that one can get a LOT more garbage food for

that amount but the thing is, it's not only unhealthy but it doesn't satisfy

your nutritional needs so you end up eating MORE of it. To draw a bit of an

off-color comparison, it's like dog foods -- if you get th elow quality, low

priced foods, the dogs eat more and, ahem, leave more behind if you know

what I mean. BUT, if you get a mid-grade food they eat less and go less

because they are not as nutritionally deficient.

To REALLY make those $$$ stretch, it's equally important to send the savings

mentality into other shopping arenas. I use coupons extensively to save

money on both food and non-food products. Someone on one of the groups was

telling me how she used to work for a company that did the marketing on

coupons and that they are designed to get you to spend MORE rather than

save. This is only the case on the surface -- if you apply the coupons

along with sales, especially at stores that have coupon doubling/tripling,

you can REALLY save big. This is especially true when the coupons are for

products that we already use in the first place.

FWIW, a garden also goes a LONG way in this endeavor and I can't recommend

it enough. I know that I've saved a great deal of money by simply eating

home grown foods. My folks and inlaws have given me 150+ tomatoes this year

and my own are finally starting to produce as well. ANYONE can have a

garden, even those with no land. (I think we talked about that here a

couple of weeks back too!)

Believe me -- I'm about as tight as it gets here and I make do on very

little these days (seems like it keeps getting to be less and less).

I can't get anything on your list for as cheap as you say. Example: Cauliflower - $2.50 (if I'm lucky. $1.99 if I find a GOOD sale), frozen veggies are darn near $1.29 if I buy no name stuff, canned veggies are somewhere about a dollar a can. Don't know where you shop but there's no where like that around here. Carol

RE: Phase 1

> I only have $150 I can spend on food every month so that> is why I have such a problem.Our monthly budget for all items purchased at the grocery store is $300.This includes not only food but cleaning supplies, pet food (3 dogs, 3cats), diapers ($$$$ there -- got 2 in 'em), and so forth. This feeds the 4of us -- me, wife, and 2 toddlers. On just food, we average right around$150-$200.Some recent buys....1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$59) Garlic -- 3/$110) Onions -- 59 cents a pound11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $112) Milk -- $1.65/gallon13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen(BTW, medium eggs go on sale about once every month or so at 33 cents adozen.)Given the ability to stock up with a well proportioned pantry, the above caneasily be put into a $150/month budget.Now, I'll be the first to admit that one can get a LOT more garbage food forthat amount but the thing is, it's not only unhealthy but it doesn't satisfyyour nutritional needs so you end up eating MORE of it. To draw a bit of anoff-color comparison, it's like dog foods -- if you get th elow quality, lowpriced foods, the dogs eat more and, ahem, leave more behind if you knowwhat I mean. BUT, if you get a mid-grade food they eat less and go lessbecause they are not as nutritionally deficient.To REALLY make those $$$ stretch, it's equally important to send the savingsmentality into other shopping arenas. I use coupons extensively to savemoney on both food and non-food products. Someone on one of the groups wastelling me how she used to work for a company that did the marketing oncoupons and that they are designed to get you to spend MORE rather thansave. This is only the case on the surface -- if you apply the couponsalong with sales, especially at stores that have coupon doubling/tripling,you can REALLY save big. This is especially true when the coupons are forproducts that we already use in the first place.FWIW, a garden also goes a LONG way in this endeavor and I can't recommendit enough. I know that I've saved a great deal of money by simply eatinghome grown foods. My folks and inlaws have given me 150+ tomatoes this yearand my own are finally starting to produce as well. ANYONE can have agarden, even those with no land. (I think we talked about that here acouple of weeks back too!)Believe me -- I'm about as tight as it gets here and I make do on verylittle these days (seems like it keeps getting to be less and less).

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

The prices where I am are the same as where you are. I think we need to move. lol Carol

Wow, ...I want to live/shop where you do! (I hear what you're saying about coupons, etc. but I find them to mostly be for processed food items I don't use anyway). I've added to your list with the prices I've just paid in Atlanta for the same items - actually reading off the receipt now!

Niki

Some recent buys....(and the attendant Atlanta prices in parentheses)1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each ($1.29 in Atlanta)2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb (I pay $2.99 lb. on sale)3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb (I pay $2.50/lb)4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can (89-99 cents a can)5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can (89 - 99)6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb ($2.99/lb)7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head (1.99/head)8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$5 (2 for $5)9) Garlic -- 3/$1 about 99 cents a large bulb)10) Onions -- 59 cents a pound ($1.49/lb)11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $1 (1 bunch for $1.69)12) Milk -- $1.65/gallon ($2.99 gal)13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet (don't use)14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen ($1.19/doz)Interesting, no?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When the world gets in my face, I say......HAVE A NICE DAY"

- Bon Jovi 2005

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005

Wow, ...I want to live/shop where you do! (I hear what you're saying about coupons, etc. but I find them to mostly be for processed food items I don't use anyway). I've added to your list with the prices I've just paid in Atlanta for the same items - actually reading off the receipt now!

Niki

Some recent buys....(and the attendant Atlanta prices in parentheses)1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each ($1.29 in Atlanta)2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb (I pay $2.99 lb. on sale)3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb (I pay $2.50/lb)4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can (89-99 cents a can)5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can (89 - 99)6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb ($2.99/lb)7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head (1.99/head)8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$5 (2 for $5)9) Garlic -- 3/$1 about 99 cents a large bulb)10) Onions -- 59 cents a pound ($1.49/lb)11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $1 (1 bunch for $1.69)12) Milk -- $1.65/gallon ($2.99 gal)13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet (don't use)14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen ($1.19/doz)Interesting, no?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bon Jovi 2005

LOL Carol...I'm packing now.... :-)

NikkiCarol Parsons wrote:

The prices where I am are the same as where you are. I think we need to move. lol Carol

Niki

Some recent buys....(and the attendant Atlanta prices in parentheses)1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each ($1.29 in Atlanta)2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb (I pay $2.99 lb. on sale)3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb (I pay $2.50/lb)4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can (89-99 cents a can)5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can (89 - 99)6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb ($2.99/lb)7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head (1.99/head)8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$5 (2 for $5)9) Garlic -- 3/$1 about 99 cents a large bulb)10) Onions -- 59 cents a pound ($1.49/lb)11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $1 (1 bunch for $1.69)12) Milk -- $1.65/gallon ($2.99 gal)13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet (don't use)14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen ($1.19/doz)Interesting, no?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bon Jovi 2005

Yahoo! for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 08/19/2005---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bon Jovi 2005__________________________________________________

Where do you shop to get prices like this? We spend about 500 (or more!) a month to feed 6 of us, 1 dog and 1 cat! I have 4 boys from 13-6 who eat like pigs! AND, I don't buy all the junk food. I would love to lower my grocery bill.

> I only have $150 I can spend on food every month so that> is why I have such a problem.Our monthly budget for all items purchased at the grocery store is $300.This includes not only food but cleaning supplies, pet food (3 dogs, 3cats), diapers ($$$$ there -- got 2 in 'em), and so forth. This feeds the 4of us -- me, wife, and 2 toddlers. On just food, we average right around$150-$200.Some recent buys....1) Freshlike Frozen Vegetables (1 pound bag) -- 69 cents each2) Fresh chicken (uninjected) -- $2/lb3) Ground beef -- $1.50/lb4) Canned vegetables -- 10-25 cents a can5) Canned mushrooms -- 10-25 cents a can6) Fresh mushrooms -- $1/lb7) Fresh cauliflower -- 59 cents a head8) Kraft 2% Cheese Products -- 4/$59) Garlic -- 3/$110) Onions -- 59 cents a pound11) Green onions -- 2 bunches for $112) Milk -- $1.65/gallon13) KoolAid -- 5 cents a packet14) Eggs Grade A, XL -- 88 cents a dozen(BTW, medium eggs go on sale about once every month or so at 33 cents adozen.)Given the ability to stock up with a well proportioned pantry, the above caneasily be put into a $150/month budget.Now, I'll be the first to admit that one can get a LOT more garbage food forthat amount but the thing is, it's not only unhealthy but it doesn't satisfyyour nutritional needs so you end up eating MORE of it. To draw a bit of anoff-color comparison, it's like dog foods -- if you get th elow quality, lowpriced foods, the dogs eat more and, ahem, leave more behind if you knowwhat I mean. BUT, if you get a mid-grade food they eat less and go lessbecause they are not as nutritionally deficient.To REALLY make those $$$ stretch, it's equally important to send the savingsmentality into other shopping arenas. I use coupons extensively to savemoney on both food and non-food products. Someone on one of the groups wastelling me how she used to work for a company that did the marketing oncoupons and that they are designed to get you to spend MORE rather thansave. This is only the case on the surface -- if you apply the couponsalong with sales, especially at stores that have coupon doubling/tripling,you can REALLY save big. This is especially true when the coupons are forproducts that we already use in the first place.FWIW, a garden also goes a LONG way in this endeavor and I can't recommendit enough. I know that I've saved a great deal of money by simply eatinghome grown foods. My folks and inlaws have given me 150+ tomatoes this yearand my own are finally starting to produce as well. ANYONE can have agarden, even those with no land. (I think we talked about that here acouple of weeks back too!)Believe me -- I'm about as tight as it gets here and I make do on verylittle these days (seems like it keeps getting to be less and less).