RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would highly suggest that you see an IBCLC. If you can get an LC and have her work with your doctor you can come up with a plan. Some babies don't gain with an overactive letdown because they don't get enough fat rich hindmilk. She could also be experiencing some reflux. No matter what is going on, I think that having an LC help out with a plan will really make a difference. If you need help finding one in your area just let me know. :)

Wendihttp://www.lactivist.combreastfeeding resources and info

Help

I posted last week asking about help for overactive letdown and have another question now. We took Mikayla to the Dr today because her feeding problems have become worse and now she is projectile vomiting. She also hasn't gained weight for the last 2 weeks and they are really concerned. We are going to the hospital tomorrow for an abdominal u/s and blood and urine tests. They also suggested using some type of tube that you tape to your breast to supplement. Would this be with breast milk or formula? I am so confused because I have such a big milk supply but she is not gaining weight. Any ideas?

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

I would highly suggest that you see an IBCLC. If you can get an LC and have her work with your doctor you can come up with a plan. Some babies don't gain with an overactive letdown because they don't get enough fat rich hindmilk. She could also be experiencing some reflux. No matter what is going on, I think that having an LC help out with a plan will really make a difference. If you need help finding one in your area just let me know. :)

Help

I posted last week asking about help for overactive letdown and have another question now. We took Mikayla to the Dr today because her feeding problems have become worse and now she is projectile vomiting. She also hasn't gained weight for the last 2 weeks and they are really concerned. We are going to the hospital tomorrow for an abdominal u/s and blood and urine tests. They also suggested using some type of tube that you tape to your breast to supplement. Would this be with breast milk or formula? I am so confused because I have such a big milk supply but she is not gaining weight. Any ideas?

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Help

Guest guest

The tube is called SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) and it is a way to supplement what baby is eating--or to know that a certain number of ounces are being consumed. You can use it with either bm or formula. If you have a breastpump, and a large milk supply already, I would pump and supply formula with the SNS. The Dr is probably looking at latching/sucking problems as well as digestive problems in your daughter.

We'll be praying for you all.

Amy Lynn

Guest guest

The tube is called SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) and it is a way to supplement what baby is eating--or to know that a certain number of ounces are being consumed. You can use it with either bm or formula. If you have a breastpump, and a large milk supply already, I would pump and supply formula with the SNS. The Dr is probably looking at latching/sucking problems as well as digestive problems in your daughter.

We'll be praying for you all.

Amy Lynn

Guest guest

Hi ,

Just want you to know that I'll keep you and Mikayla in my prayers.

My son Mike would vomit like that when he was an infant. I used to

always keep him propped up, and he slept only in his carseat for the

first 5-6 months. I hope you find some helpful solutions soon.

Joan

Guest guest

Hi ,

Joan

Guest guest

Hi ,

Joan

Guest guest

There is a breastfeeding center at the hospital where I had Mikayla. I went to the LC and she said that I am doing everything right and she thinks it is reflux. The medicine doesn't seem to be doing much so I don't know if it really is reflux. Mikayla is just sobbing almost every time I feed her and I am feeling so bad about it. I feel like everwhere I turn, no one seems to be able to help me. Are there some circumstances where you shouldn't bf? She just seems so miserable when she nurses and I am extremely exhausted.

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00

Help

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

There is a breastfeeding center at the hospital where I had Mikayla. I went to the LC and she said that I am doing everything right and she thinks it is reflux. The medicine doesn't seem to be doing much so I don't know if it really is reflux. Mikayla is just sobbing almost every time I feed her and I am feeling so bad about it. I feel like everwhere I turn, no one seems to be able to help me. Are there some circumstances where you shouldn't bf? She just seems so miserable when she nurses and I am extremely exhausted.

Help

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Help

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/24/00 6:52:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

rmmhenne@... writes:

<< We took Mikayla to the Dr today because her feeding problems have become

worse and now she is projectile vomiting. She also hasn't gained weight for

the last 2 weeks and they are really concerned. >>

I am NO medical professional, but perhaps you might be looking at severe

gastro esophageal reflux? Perhaps allergies to what you are eating? Seems

late for pyloric stenosis...that usually occurs around one month of age.

Keep us posted. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

- Mama to 3 wonderful boys

Guest guest

rmmhenne@... writes:

Guest guest

rmmhenne@... writes:

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/00 6:36:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

rmmhenne@... writes:

<< The medicine doesn't seem to be doing much so I don't know if it really

is reflux. Mikayla is just sobbing almost every time I feed her and I am

feeling so bad about it. I feel like everwhere I turn, no one seems to be

able to help me. Are there some circumstances where you shouldn't bf? She

just seems so miserable when she nurses and I am extremely exhausted. >>

It seems to me that bm would be easier on her little system if she does have

reflux. I would think that formula would be harder on her to reflux into her

esophagus. She is probably miserable because it is difficult for her to eat

in general, not because she is nursing. Perhaps they need to give her a

different med or different dosage? Ask your dr these questions, then check

with the lc you saw and see what she says.

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/25/00 6:36:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

rmmhenne@... writes:

<< The medicine doesn't seem to be doing much so I don't know if it really

is reflux. Mikayla is just sobbing almost every time I feed her and I am

feeling so bad about it. I feel like everwhere I turn, no one seems to be

able to help me. Are there some circumstances where you shouldn't bf? She

just seems so miserable when she nurses and I am extremely exhausted. >>

It seems to me that bm would be easier on her little system if she does have

reflux. I would think that formula would be harder on her to reflux into her

esophagus. She is probably miserable because it is difficult for her to eat

in general, not because she is nursing. Perhaps they need to give her a

different med or different dosage? Ask your dr these questions, then check

with the lc you saw and see what she says.

Guest guest

I totally agree with Wendi here, . My first son had fairly severe reflux

and it is tough. Mail me off list if you want to talk more about it.

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Are you nursing her in an upright position, taking many breaks to allow the milk to go down? Are you keeping her in a semi-upright position for at least 20 minutes after every feed? Does she sleep on an elevated mattress? These are all things that you can do to help her if she has reflux. Not all babies respond to the medication for reflux. You might consider seeing a homeopath or a naturopath for alternative treatments. Please trust me that breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for her. Formula will only make her more miserable. Her gut is not functioning exactly how it should and breastfeeding will optimize her digestion. You might want to consider eliminating all dairy products for at least two weeks (including casein and whey) to see if it could be a milk protein allergy. That could be causing her distress. There are other food sensitivities that it could be as well, citrus, corn, wheat, chocolate, soy and oats are common allergy producers. I don't think quiting breastfeeding is going to be in her or your best interest. If you felt that the hospital LC didn't give you much advice or a plan to work with, I would suggest finding another. Get help!

Help

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Are you nursing her in an upright position, taking many breaks to allow the milk to go down? Are you keeping her in a semi-upright position for at least 20 minutes after every feed? Does she sleep on an elevated mattress? These are all things that you can do to help her if she has reflux. Not all babies respond to the medication for reflux. You might consider seeing a homeopath or a naturopath for alternative treatments. Please trust me that breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for her. Formula will only make her more miserable. Her gut is not functioning exactly how it should and breastfeeding will optimize her digestion. You might want to consider eliminating all dairy products for at least two weeks (including casein and whey) to see if it could be a milk protein allergy. That could be causing her distress. There are other food sensitivities that it could be as well, citrus, corn, wheat, chocolate, soy and oats are common allergy producers. I don't think quiting breastfeeding is going to be in her or your best interest. If you felt that the hospital LC didn't give you much advice or a plan to work with, I would suggest finding another. Get help!

Help

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Help

Guest guest

What about pyloric stenosis.. this is a not so rare condition where the

babies valve that leads from their stomach to their intestines is rather

tight.. and they have projectile vomitting, and other feeding issues.. Just a

suggestion

Christi

Guest guest

What about pyloric stenosis.. this is a not so rare condition where the

babies valve that leads from their stomach to their intestines is rather

tight.. and they have projectile vomitting, and other feeding issues.. Just a

suggestion

Christi