RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: BIO-MEDICAL INTERVENTION

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would definitely interrupt the behavior any time I saw it. I know it sounds harsh but I would close the door he wanted to close and tell him it is ok that someone else close the door.

I would try to see if there is any other function he is getting out of it or if it is completely stimming. Does he get attention from you or anyone in the home when he does this? What may have begun as a stim may have turned into attention seeking. Just a thought. Not likely it sounds but perhaps check.

I would try a contingency of some sort. Have him do some sort of task, depending upon his age, developmental level or I guess also size and how much you wish to challenge him then he can have 2 minutes of opening and closing his favorite door. Set a timer that is visual for him and you. Then, if he wants to play with the door again, try to get him to use his words to play with the door and/or do another task. Then, timer, door again.

It is work, I know. Sometimes the contingency you set in place is enough to make him stop b/c if he has to actually DO something before he gets his favorite thing, then it may not be worth doing. Or it may. If it is, use it as a learning opportunity and challenge him. I used to have my son do bear crawl 10 times. That way, he got his OT, which is good for him and he got to do what he wanted (whatever that was at the time).

You may need to do a little of all of these things and while doing this, try to find a substitute stim for him. An alternative that is perhaps more functional. I will think of something functional to replace it but in the meantime, praise him whenever he leaves a door open or closed. Try to say something like, "Great, you left the door closed." or "Great job leaving the door open." Set him up too. Hold the door open so he cannot close it and praise him for leaving it open, even though he is probably totally pissed at you. Say the praise as quickly as possible and be sincere.

Try not to use a praise sentence that has "Great not playing with the door." It is better to praise the positive behavior and not the negative version of that.

And, most importantly, breathe deeply while you are doing all of this b/c I know those stimming behaviors make me so anxious sometimes, I want to scream.

Try that for awhile and let me know what happens. Try for a few days and track it to see if any of that is helping. I will think of more strategies.

Re: Re: BIO-MEDICAL INTERVENTION

In a message dated 8/23/2008 12:12:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, thecohanescomcast (DOT) net writes:

I feel like I am pulling ay straws trying to find the reasons for my daughters behavior

What kind of behavior is your child having? You might want to check out the Feingold Diet. It is very effective for children extremely reactive to phenols, dyes, chemicals, etc.

Badillo

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

Guest guest

I would definitely interrupt the behavior any time I saw it. I know it sounds harsh but I would close the door he wanted to close and tell him it is ok that someone else close the door.

I would try to see if there is any other function he is getting out of it or if it is completely stimming. Does he get attention from you or anyone in the home when he does this? What may have begun as a stim may have turned into attention seeking. Just a thought. Not likely it sounds but perhaps check.

I would try a contingency of some sort. Have him do some sort of task, depending upon his age, developmental level or I guess also size and how much you wish to challenge him then he can have 2 minutes of opening and closing his favorite door. Set a timer that is visual for him and you. Then, if he wants to play with the door again, try to get him to use his words to play with the door and/or do another task. Then, timer, door again.

It is work, I know. Sometimes the contingency you set in place is enough to make him stop b/c if he has to actually DO something before he gets his favorite thing, then it may not be worth doing. Or it may. If it is, use it as a learning opportunity and challenge him. I used to have my son do bear crawl 10 times. That way, he got his OT, which is good for him and he got to do what he wanted (whatever that was at the time).

You may need to do a little of all of these things and while doing this, try to find a substitute stim for him. An alternative that is perhaps more functional. I will think of something functional to replace it but in the meantime, praise him whenever he leaves a door open or closed. Try to say something like, "Great, you left the door closed." or "Great job leaving the door open." Set him up too. Hold the door open so he cannot close it and praise him for leaving it open, even though he is probably totally pissed at you. Say the praise as quickly as possible and be sincere.

Try not to use a praise sentence that has "Great not playing with the door." It is better to praise the positive behavior and not the negative version of that.

And, most importantly, breathe deeply while you are doing all of this b/c I know those stimming behaviors make me so anxious sometimes, I want to scream.

Try that for awhile and let me know what happens. Try for a few days and track it to see if any of that is helping. I will think of more strategies.

In a message dated 8/23/2008 12:12:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, thecohanescomcast (DOT) net writes:

I feel like I am pulling ay straws trying to find the reasons for my daughters behavior

What kind of behavior is your child having? You might want to check out the Feingold Diet. It is very effective for children extremely reactive to phenols, dyes, chemicals, etc.

Badillo

Guest guest

I also believe that my 2 other children are so therapeutic for

my daughter. She has just started to turn the corner and take a real interest

in her little brother. She asked to cuddle with him the other night. My heart

was filled with Joy! I am hoping she will also take more interest in her baby

sister but I have a feeling that wont happen until she can give her something back.

I found McCain’s choice very interesting and eye opening. I am

a democrat but I have to say, I will be listening to Sara to hear more about

her plans before I make any decisions. Very clever of McCain to choose a women

of 5 children…one with a disability to be his running mate. J

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of MAUREEN JESUS

Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 8:31 PM

To: sList

Subject: Re: Re: BIO-MEDICAL INTERVENTION

I have one younger " typical " daughter and she

is a little trooper . When my son ignores her ( which is often) she

uses every tactic her little 2 year old mind can come up with to engage him.I

also see how frustrated she becomes when her big brother ( Which she idolizes )

does not want to be around her . She will hug him and tell him she loves him

(she is very intuitive) , a little mother . My son many times pushes her away

and it makes me so upset . I know that he becomes defensive but I hate to see

her be regected and she still does not understand why. She has been his best

therapist , by far. Even though when their are other children around she

tends to leave Ian on his own . She gets so excited that other kids are

actually playing with her and she goes to them ( I cant blame her) . I

pray for all of our children . Maybe having a vice-president who is the mother

of a disabled child will help us continue our fight and pass some legislature

to help our kids . As much as I want to accept my sons autism , I cant help but

continue to try and fight for him.

In a message dated 8/23/2008 12:12:53 A.M.

Eastern Daylight Time, thecohanescomcast (DOT) net writes:

I feel like I am pulling ay straws

trying to find the reasons for my daughters behavior

What kind of behavior is your child

having? You might want to check out the Feingold Diet. It is very effective for

children extremely reactive to phenols, dyes, chemicals, etc.

Badillo

It's only a deal if it's where you

want to go. Find your travel deal here.

Guest guest

Thanks..as mentioned in another e-mail, I didn’t get that they

were one in the same (Dr and lab). Appreciate the link.

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of badillo9@...

Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 10:55 PM

To: sList

Subject: Re: Re: BIO-MEDICAL INTERVENTION

In a message dated 8/29/2008 3:36:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

thecohanes@... writes:

How do I contact him?

www.greatplainslaboratory.com

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your

travel deal here.

Guest guest

My son obsessively opens and closes doors ( It is bad) he cant help himself. He will do this all day and it has recently become worse

Maureen

All these kids have OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder. Try Inositol - it's specific for OCD behavior. Plus GABA would help as well.