RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: I hope I can remember all the names!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello

I also live in Phoenix..well, we actually moved to Sun City West, because our house in Phoenix was not very accessible for me. I would like to talk with you. I have not met anyone in this area who has this disease although my pulmonologist states there are many people. We do not have a support group here although I have been interested in beginning one. There is a Pulmonary Hypertension group that meets in Mesa but that is too far for me to drive at this time. I am wondering what pulmonalogy group to see and who your doctor is. I go to Pulmonary Associates, across from Good Sam Hospital, even though they have offices throughout the valley. As you can probably tell, I am very exited to meet someone who lives in my area. I am always a little jealous when I read of the other people on our site who get to visit one another. Please write back to me. If you do not want it to be to everyone, my email is NCTULIP@.... Anxious to hear from you.

L

NIPF 02 PH 06

Joyce ... I am new to the group -- actually really new to this diagnosis. I am 63 years old, live in Phoenix, Arizona, and was diagnosed because I got a bad chest x-ray when having a preoperative workup for a silly little elective surgery. I am a legal secretary who found out yesterday that my full time position has been "taken" by someone else in the office. The pressure now is for me to quit so they don't have to let me go. I don't think so. If they let me go, I get unemployment compensation.

And as far as the name goes, I kind of like Petunia. It connects with my family and makes me giggle.

I am absolutely awed by this group. I suspect a lot of my friends just can't deal with this kind of news, and I became used to having to just suck it up and not talk about it. One very lovely lady (who is 23 years younger than me) cautioned me that I was "scaring" myself by researching on the Internet. Something like this definitely tells us which of our friends are flexible enough to face reality with us. And however much we care about the friends who can't face it (or they care about us), I believe I need to limit my exposure. So I am trying to find my way.

I am an animal lover with two dogs and two cats. Am facing today that I may have to find other homes for them. If I have to move into an apartment, I cannot have them all. It feels like amputating a limb or two.

Nuff.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Hello

I also live in Phoenix..well, we actually moved to Sun City West, because our house in Phoenix was not very accessible for me. I would like to talk with you. I have not met anyone in this area who has this disease although my pulmonologist states there are many people. We do not have a support group here although I have been interested in beginning one. There is a Pulmonary Hypertension group that meets in Mesa but that is too far for me to drive at this time. I am wondering what pulmonalogy group to see and who your doctor is. I go to Pulmonary Associates, across from Good Sam Hospital, even though they have offices throughout the valley. As you can probably tell, I am very exited to meet someone who lives in my area. I am always a little jealous when I read of the other people on our site who get to visit one another. Please write back to me. If you do not want it to be to everyone, my email is NCTULIP@.... Anxious to hear from you.

L

NIPF 02 PH 06

Joyce ... I am new to the group -- actually really new to this diagnosis. I am 63 years old, live in Phoenix, Arizona, and was diagnosed because I got a bad chest x-ray when having a preoperative workup for a silly little elective surgery. I am a legal secretary who found out yesterday that my full time position has been "taken" by someone else in the office. The pressure now is for me to quit so they don't have to let me go. I don't think so. If they let me go, I get unemployment compensation.

And as far as the name goes, I kind of like Petunia. It connects with my family and makes me giggle.

I am absolutely awed by this group. I suspect a lot of my friends just can't deal with this kind of news, and I became used to having to just suck it up and not talk about it. One very lovely lady (who is 23 years younger than me) cautioned me that I was "scaring" myself by researching on the Internet. Something like this definitely tells us which of our friends are flexible enough to face reality with us. And however much we care about the friends who can't face it (or they care about us), I believe I need to limit my exposure. So I am trying to find my way.

I am an animal lover with two dogs and two cats. Am facing today that I may have to find other homes for them. If I have to move into an apartment, I cannot have them all. It feels like amputating a limb or two.

Nuff.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Hello

L

NIPF 02 PH 06

Nuff.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Hi Irene,

Thanks for asking. I am hanging in there.

I know that you are having a tough time. Having a chronic illness is something that no one can understand who hasn't dealt with it. You just have to be your own best friend and seek support. Which is why we are here.

I read Psalms in the morning when I can. That and prayer calms me and helps me think outside of myself. When I pray for the needs of others, it helps me to see that some are suffering more than I am.

And.....then, some days I just wallow in it!

Hugs, Joyce D.PULMONARY FIBROSIS/LUPUS 1997 BRONCHIECTASIS 2004 INDIANA 2 COR. 12:10 ....when I am weak, then I am strong.> >> > Hi to everyone!> > > > Irene, I read your earlier post about your job, and I so understand. I have been on a leave of absence for a month, and when I contacted my administrator about going back to work next week, she informed me that someone else has taken over my assignment. Back to the drawing board.... > > > > Leanne IFP 06/07> >> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________> Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment â€" with a Canadian perspective.>

Guest guest

Hi Irene,

I know that you are having a tough time. Having a chronic illness is something that no one can understand who hasn't dealt with it. You just have to be your own best friend and seek support. Which is why we are here.

I read Psalms in the morning when I can. That and prayer calms me and helps me think outside of myself. When I pray for the needs of others, it helps me to see that some are suffering more than I am.

Hugs, Joyce D.PULMONARY FIBROSIS/LUPUS 1997 BRONCHIECTASIS 2004 INDIANA 2 COR. 12:10 ....when I am weak, then I am strong.> >> > Hi to everyone!> > > > Irene, I read your earlier post about your job, and I so understand. I have been on a leave of absence for a month, and when I contacted my administrator about going back to work next week, she informed me that someone else has taken over my assignment. Back to the drawing board.... > > > > Leanne IFP 06/07> >> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________> Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment â€" with a Canadian perspective.>

Guest guest

Hi Irene,

Guest guest

Petunia, Welcome to our group! I am 51, mom of 6, grandmother of 8 and was a middle school teacher until last year. When I first was diagnosed 3/2006 someone told me not to quit but to take advantage of the family leave act and stay on the payroll as long as possible for insurance reasons. Once you have quit it is almost impossible to get insurance somewhere else. I was able to use sick leave, vacation time, and family leave time until January when my benefits ran out and I applied for disability. I now have COBRA for medical and have to pay for it. Not everyone gets rid of their dogs, but I moved from a large house to a two bedroom apartment and had to find a home for mine. It was hard but I know she is well taken care of and without animals I

have been free to travel a lot and vacation with friends and family, plus the smaller place is much easier to afford and much easier to clean. It takes a while to learn how you navigate all of this for your own needs. Take your time making decisions and learn all you can before you decide on anything. God bless you- Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California Re: I

hope I can remember all the names!

Nuff.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Petunia, Welcome to our group! I am 51, mom of 6, grandmother of 8 and was a middle school teacher until last year. When I first was diagnosed 3/2006 someone told me not to quit but to take advantage of the family leave act and stay on the payroll as long as possible for insurance reasons. Once you have quit it is almost impossible to get insurance somewhere else. I was able to use sick leave, vacation time, and family leave time until January when my benefits ran out and I applied for disability. I now have COBRA for medical and have to pay for it. Not everyone gets rid of their dogs, but I moved from a large house to a two bedroom apartment and had to find a home for mine. It was hard but I know she is well taken care of and without animals I

have been free to travel a lot and vacation with friends and family, plus the smaller place is much easier to afford and much easier to clean. It takes a while to learn how you navigate all of this for your own needs. Take your time making decisions and learn all you can before you decide on anything. God bless you- Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California Re: I

Nuff.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Nuff.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

I like Petunia too. Darn, why can't I have a good name like that.....

Assuming you have medical insurance through them that could also be a

cause of their push. Fight to hang on to it until medicare time. If

you have disability through them fight more to stay as long as

possible (it probably ends at 65 as well). Seems somehow law firms

are those quickest to maneuver in total violation of rights but of

course assuring you that neither your age nor condition has anything

to do with it. If they want you out bad enough they might be willing

to negotiate something to your benefit. I don't know the

circumstances at all.

I think researching on the internet does perhaps scare some. To me

knowledge and understanding is comforting even that knowledge that

isn't so positive. And, seeing those here further along than I but

still enjoying life, inspires me anew each day. Checking in here gets

my energy and will to make the most of things going and is truly my

daily inspiration.

As to your friends, they will all react differently, but ultimately

once they get over the shock and learn that I'm comfortable and I

shake them out of their denial and show them I haven't changed. Well,

thats a lie, I actually have. I know its crazy but in many ways I'm

more energized and upbeat because I'm so determined to enjoy

everything I can and not just watch life pass me by as I might have

done before the diagnosis. They do find my new found obsession with

my treadmill a bit hard to comprehend. I might have used it many

years ago if I'd had oxygen. I'm serious. For the first time in my

life (and I've owned and not used many before) I actually like it.

I know the dogs and cats are worrisome as a lover of pets myself who

happened to not presently have any. I'm sure you don't have to be

reminded even more to be wary of the litter boxes. Again, you have

time and can find good homes. Many years ago I had to give up the

most beautiful and best personality English Shepherd named Tia when I

changed jobs and moved and keeping her just wasn't fair to her.

However, hearing of how she was being spoiled and the love the lady

who took her had for her, I was able to come to terms with it.

Instead of a working man, she now got to spend the day beside a woman

who had acreage and farmed. She followed her everywhere. She laid in

the shade under a special tree as her new owner/friend worked in the

hot sun. She was spoiled even more than I spoiled her because instead

of having me after work she got it all day long too.

Simplifying your life will become necessary. However, the fact is,

it's probably already best for most of us, particularly even as we

age normally. To me, as little distraction in terms of things I have

to do around the house (yes, I'm in a fairly small apartment now),

having things arranged so they work for me, and convenience to things

nearby are important. That leaves me time to see my doctors and do my

exercise, to get my errands and chores done (much reduced by my

decisions), and then more time than ever before to have fun. That fun

is talking here to my friends but so many other things as I'm working

on my list daily. For someone who went years with no vacation I've

figured out I have 70 days of fun or pleasure the next ten months to

use and I'm honestly working on my list of 70 days worth I want to do

and determined to check it off, then go on to the next list. I love

the zoo but haven't been in years. Fort Worth and Dallas Zoo both on

my list and then I've heard Tulsa zoo is great. Fossil Rim natural

wildlife reserve. Oh, and have to get to the World Aquarium and the

Dallas Aquarium. Not huge on art, but Kimball Art Museum is suppose

to be great and in downtown Fort Worth which has great little

restaurants around and I haven't been there so thats a day trip. The

bed and breakfasts I've looked at but never quite made it go on the

list. I want a couple of days in New Orleans, Bourbon Street, to hear

the true dixieland jazz. I was last there 40 years ago. (not going in

hurricane season though oh and do have to check their smoking

laws....may have to ditch that because not going where there's smokng

everywhere, so fortunate to live in a smoke free town). And somewhere

along I want to see that we get a support group going in DFW. Oh my,

I don't know anything more, but I'm going to start by making this

next year the best one of my life. And when I'm exhausted, I'll rest

or just turn the oxygen up a bit. I'll avoid illness and germs like

the plague they are to me but I laughed when a friend said something

a couple of days ago as I talked about traveling like " isn't that

risky? what if you needed medical attention or something? " I

said....then I'll get it....what is risky is not making the most of

every day. Think she may get off her butt and actually join me for a

trip somewhere for a few days but have no idea where yet.

I think we also have a lot to teach our friends and those we are in

contact with, about living and dying. The guy at the convenience

store got brave enough to ask about the oxygen yesterday. I told him

directly what I had and that it was terminal. I did it smiling and

upbeat. I don't have literature yet, but told him I'd bring him a

pamphlet sometime. I laughed about the oxygen, said this is good

stuff, but I'm not sharing. I don't go out of my way to bring the

disease up, but when one asks I'm upfront. He learned two things

although not sure exactly what. One, there is a killer disease with

three initials of some sort. Two, there is this strange older man

with oxygen who has a disease that will ultimately kill him and damn

he seems normal and happy and joking and I just don't know what to

think about it.

>

> Joyce ... I am new to the group -- actually really new to this

diagnosis. I am 63 years old, live in Phoenix, Arizona, and was

diagnosed because I got a bad chest x-ray when having a preoperative

workup for a silly little elective surgery. I am a legal secretary

who found out yesterday that my full time position has been " taken "

by someone else in the office. The pressure now is for me to quit so

they don't have to let me go. I don't think so. If they let me go,

I get unemployment compensation.

>

> And as far as the name goes, I kind of like Petunia. It connects

with my family and makes me giggle.

>

> I am absolutely awed by this group. I suspect a lot of my friends

just can't deal with this kind of news, and I became used to having

to just suck it up and not talk about it. One very lovely lady (who

is 23 years younger than me) cautioned me that I was " scaring " myself

by researching on the Internet. Something like this definitely tells

us which of our friends are flexible enough to face reality with us.

And however much we care about the friends who can't face it (or they

care about us), I believe I need to limit my exposure. So I am

trying to find my way.

>

> I am an animal lover with two dogs and two cats. Am facing today

that I may have to find other homes for them. If I have to move into

an apartment, I cannot have them all. It feels like amputating a

limb or two.

>

> Nuff.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07

>

Guest guest

circumstances at all.

daily inspiration.

think about it.

>

>

>

trying to find my way.

>

limb or two.

>

> Nuff.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07

>

Guest guest

circumstances at all.

daily inspiration.

think about it.

>

>

>

trying to find my way.

>

limb or two.

>

> Nuff.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07

>

Guest guest

Thank you, . Your posts are always really valuable to me and, of course, to the group.

The firm I worked for will not negotiate at all. They are extremely secretive and .... fill in the blank. However, I can COBRA for 18 months if I can just find the money to pay for it. That doesn't get me to Medicare, still short a few months, so I haven't decided if I want to do that. If they fire me (and they really, really do not want to do that), I can collect unemployment compensation. I can't live on it, but it will greatly decrease the attrition to my savings. Ouch!!!! However, I have no idea of quitting so it seems like a standoff. Hmmm -- who will hold out longer in this game of "chicken"?

I think I may have found a solutiojn to the housing/pet problem. I have a 34 year old son living in an apartment here in Phoenix. I know he wants the house. If he moves in after his lease expires and I get an efficiency apartment, I can take my cats. He could keep my dogs (although my girl is 18 years old, so she will probably be gone by then). There is a complex four blocks from here that has really inexpensive efficiency apartments. This could work.

And you are so right about what we are here to teach. As soon as I figure out how I'm going to live, I intend to head down to the VA hospital to volunteer. And nursing homes as well. I am a hobby jeweler and I want to bring that activity to people who are also ill. I absolutely know that every cloud does have a silver lining -- we just need to find it.

I am so glad Tia found a good home, and you feel good about it. It's the most beautiful thing you have ever posted. You did well!!!!

I saw my naturopath/homeopath doctor this morning. She is wonderful. I am continuing on the naturopathic remedies she already prescribed for me, but every time I see her, she changes the homeopathic medication. What she gives me relates completely to my symptoms at the time.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Thank you, . Your posts are always really valuable to me and, of course, to the group.

The firm I worked for will not negotiate at all. They are extremely secretive and .... fill in the blank. However, I can COBRA for 18 months if I can just find the money to pay for it. That doesn't get me to Medicare, still short a few months, so I haven't decided if I want to do that. If they fire me (and they really, really do not want to do that), I can collect unemployment compensation. I can't live on it, but it will greatly decrease the attrition to my savings. Ouch!!!! However, I have no idea of quitting so it seems like a standoff. Hmmm -- who will hold out longer in this game of "chicken"?

I think I may have found a solutiojn to the housing/pet problem. I have a 34 year old son living in an apartment here in Phoenix. I know he wants the house. If he moves in after his lease expires and I get an efficiency apartment, I can take my cats. He could keep my dogs (although my girl is 18 years old, so she will probably be gone by then). There is a complex four blocks from here that has really inexpensive efficiency apartments. This could work.

And you are so right about what we are here to teach. As soon as I figure out how I'm going to live, I intend to head down to the VA hospital to volunteer. And nursing homes as well. I am a hobby jeweler and I want to bring that activity to people who are also ill. I absolutely know that every cloud does have a silver lining -- we just need to find it.

I am so glad Tia found a good home, and you feel good about it. It's the most beautiful thing you have ever posted. You did well!!!!

I saw my naturopath/homeopath doctor this morning. She is wonderful. I am continuing on the naturopathic remedies she already prescribed for me, but every time I see her, she changes the homeopathic medication. What she gives me relates completely to my symptoms at the time.

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

Petunia IPF 06/07

Guest guest

If you are able to get approved for Social Security Disability, which

has some specific standards for PF, based on tests, and they consider

you to have been disabled within the first 60 days of Cobra, then

beyond the normal 18 months of Cobra, you can extend the greater of

an additional 11 months or until you qualify for medicare. Also, you

do qualify for medicare, after 24 months on social security so with

social securities 6 month waiting period, after 30 months. Now you

may not yet be to the stage to qualify for disability. Just tossing

this out in case you are.

>

> Thank you, . Your posts are always really valuable to me and,

of course, to the group.

>

> The firm I worked for will not negotiate at all. They are

extremely secretive and .... fill in the blank. However, I can

COBRA for 18 months if I can just find the money to pay for it. That

doesn't get me to Medicare, still short a few months, so I haven't

decided if I want to do that. If they fire me (and they really,

really do not want to do that), I can collect unemployment

compensation. I can't live on it, but it will greatly decrease the

attrition to my savings. Ouch!!!! However, I have no idea of

quitting so it seems like a standoff. Hmmm -- who will hold out

longer in this game of " chicken " ?

>

> I think I may have found a solutiojn to the housing/pet problem. I

have a 34 year old son living in an apartment here in Phoenix. I

know he wants the house. If he moves in after his lease expires and

I get an efficiency apartment, I can take my cats. He could keep my

dogs (although my girl is 18 years old, so she will probably be gone

by then). There is a complex four blocks from here that has really

inexpensive efficiency apartments. This could work.

>

> And you are so right about what we are here to teach. As soon as I

figure out how I'm going to live, I intend to head down to the VA

hospital to volunteer. And nursing homes as well. I am a hobby

jeweler and I want to bring that activity to people who are also

ill. I absolutely know that every cloud does have a silver lining --

we just need to find it.

>

> I am so glad Tia found a good home, and you feel good about it.

It's the most beautiful thing you have ever posted. You did well!!!!

>

> I saw my naturopath/homeopath doctor this morning. She is

wonderful. I am continuing on the naturopathic remedies she already

prescribed for me, but every time I see her, she changes the

homeopathic medication. What she gives me relates completely to my

symptoms at the time.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07

>

Guest guest

Petunia I like you have several animals I will move to the smallest

of houses but I won't give up my dogs, there are 4 of them, I vacuum

all the time and am starting a schedule for baths and stuff for them

to lessen the pet dander. They give me too much joy to let go! So I

hope you don't have to let go of them!

The internet is full of research and there are good and bad things

out there, and you will come across both but like anything if you

research your doing just that getting all the information putting it

together, presenting it to some one like the doctors and getting the

real truth, if you feel your doctors aren't being honest then move

on, I had that with this internist I went to he is the one who found

the PF but blew me off like I could wait 3 months to get to a lung

doc, which I didn't think was right, I found this group and they

urged me to find some one else, that's what I did and now on Monday I

leave for the Mayo Clinic Praise the LORD! I have found out of the

two very close friends I had the one that I wasnt the closest to is

the one right there for me and my friend that was my best friend isnt

there for me at all. Sad but reality, I choose to put my energy into

the ones that are there for me and care enough to call me and do

things with me and tell me hey we are here and we support you, matter

of fact I got flowers from 2 people this week, what a surprise and a

joy to get! So choose where you put your energy and air, true friends

are there for good or bad and their love and friendship is

unconditional no matter what!

Sandie

>

>

>

trying to find my way.

>

limb or two.

>

> Nuff.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07

>

Guest guest

Sandie

>

>

>

trying to find my way.

>

limb or two.

>

> Nuff.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07

>

Guest guest

Sandie

>

>

>

trying to find my way.

>

limb or two.

>

> Nuff.

>

> Petunia IPF 06/07