RemedySpot.com

Re: Hi again

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Have him check your ferritin not just iron levels. Here is a link from an endo he will respect so may listen to www.goodhormonehealth.com >From: "Toni"

>Reply-To: The_Thyroid_Support_Group >To:

>Subject: Hi again >Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:57:26 -0500 > >Hi all, >I think I have been a member of this group in the past, but I'm not sure. >I'm forgetting a lot these days. > >I have hashi's, and just found out my thyroid is underactive AGAIN. I have >to

Guest guest

I had the antibody testing for hashi 20 years ago, and it was positive. I have been on and off thyroid meds all this time. My thyroid goes from low to normal, to low to normal. I have had Doctor's who don't believe you need the medication if your thyroid is normal, even with hashi. So once again a few years ago they took me off of it. Now they see I need it again, so I have to go back on it. I read an article on about.com about this the other day, and it does say that there are doctor's who hold the belief that if your thyroid is normal you don't need the medication. This has been my experience.

Toni List Owner of:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GDHWS/This is for guide dog handlers with residual vision.And http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ToniAtGDB/This mailing list is to share my experiences in getting my next dog.

Hi again

Hi all,

I think I have been a member of this group in the past, but I'm not sure. I'm forgetting a lot these days.

I have hashi's, and just found out my thyroid is underactive AGAIN. I have to go back on meds. I don't know yet how underactive it is. I have to go tomorrow for a full thyroid panel. My jerk of a Dr. just did a T4. Now I have to go back so he can do the whole panel. My biggest issues are: hair loss, extreme fatigue, mood swings, and achy joints. I am trying to work full time, but am going to ask tomorrow about being put on a work restriction until we get my thyroid back on track. I don't know if my Dr. will do it or not, but I have to try. Right now my boss is REQUIRING overtime! I can barely get through 8 hours without being in tears.

I don't know how long I will stay with this group, but for right now I need to be here.

Toni List Owner of:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GDHWS/This is for guide dog handlers with residual vision.And http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ToniAtGDB/This mailing list is to share my experiences in getting my next dog.

Guest guest

Toni,

There are also several articles that say on the presence of antibodies,

medication should always be provided to prevent physical damage to the

thyroid gland. I have a goiter and it is not fun, so I'd personally

recommend people do whatever necessary to avoid the physical damage.

Jan

Toni wrote:

> ,

> I had the antibody testing for hashi 20 years ago, and it was

> positive. I have been on and off thyroid meds all this time. My

> thyroid goes from low to normal, to low to normal. I have had

> Doctor's who don't believe you need the medication if your thyroid is

> normal, even with hashi. So once again a few years ago they took me

> off of it. Now they see I need it again, so I have to go back on it.

> I read an article on about.com about this the other day, and it does

> say that there are doctor's who hold the belief that if your thyroid

> is normal you don't need the medication. This has been my experience.

Guest guest

Jan,

I have felt all along that I should have stayed on medication, but the doctor's don't agree. I asked my Dr. this morning if he could put me on a work restriction until we get my thyroid straightened out again because I get so exhausted so easily. He said no, there is no medical reason to restrict my hours. I hate Drs. who play god.

Toni,There are also several articles that say on the presence of antibodies, medication should always be provided to prevent physical damage to the thyroid gland. I have a goiter and it is not fun, so I'd personally recommend people do whatever necessary to avoid the physical damage.JanToni wrote:> ,> I had the antibody testing for hashi 20 years ago, and it was > positive. I have been on and off thyroid meds all this time. My > thyroid goes from low to normal, to low to normal. I have had > Doctor's who don't believe you need the medication if your thyroid is > normal, even with hashi. So once again a few years ago they took me > off of it. Now they see I need it again, so I have to go back on it. > I read an article on about.com about this the other day, and it does > say that there are doctor's who hold the belief that if your thyroid > is normal you don't need the medication. This has been my experience.

Guest guest

Hate to say this, Toni, but time to find a new doc.. You need to be tested for Hashi's and then be treated CORRECTLY for that condition. In the situation that you're now in, with the OT on top of everything else, you're likely to be dealing with adrenal fatigue issues down the road as well....

Not trying to scare you.. just want to urge you to start stomping your feet and get this taken care of before it causes you more grief.

I have a REAL attitude about the 'doc-gods' I have this fantasy... it includes a dark alley and the doc and me with a crutch.... something akin to beating him positively silly and then handing in a couple of aspirin and a damp wash cloth and telling him to give me a call in a year or two if he's not feeling himself yet.

After all it's only a couple of bumps and bruises, the crutch is padded on both ends... so it's no big deal.. he can just pick himself up off the ground and show some adult responsibility, right???!!!???

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:04:12 -0500 "Toni" writes:

Jan,

I have felt all along that I should have stayed on medication, but the doctor's don't agree. I asked my Dr. this morning if he could put me on a work restriction until we get my thyroid straightened out again because I get so exhausted so easily. He said no, there is no medical reason to restrict my hours. I hate Drs. who play god.

Toni

Guest guest

I already know I have hashi's. I've had it for 20 years. What is adrenal fatigue? I was so exhausted when I got home from work last Friday night that I literally cried. My Dr. said today he sees no medical necessity to restrict my work hours. Why is it doctors play god and act like they know how we feel when they are clueless?

Hate to say this, Toni, but time to find a new doc.. You need to be tested for Hashi's and then be treated CORRECTLY for that condition. In the situation that you're now in, with the OT on top of everything else, you're likely to be dealing with adrenal fatigue issues down the road as well....

Not trying to scare you.. just want to urge you to start stomping your feet and get this taken care of before it causes you more grief.

I have a REAL attitude about the 'doc-gods' I have this fantasy... it includes a dark alley and the doc and me with a crutch.... something akin to beating him positively silly and then handing in a couple of aspirin and a damp wash cloth and telling him to give me a call in a year or two if he's not feeling himself yet.

After all it's only a couple of bumps and bruises, the crutch is padded on both ends... so it's no big deal.. he can just pick himself up off the ground and show some adult responsibility, right???!!!???

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:04:12 -0500 "Toni" writes:

Jan,

Toni

Guest guest

This, is my opinion/wording.. but there is plenty of stuff to support it and I'm sure that a lot of the folks here are going to pipe in too....

When you have Hashi's the antibodies attack the thyroid gland, flat out messing stuff up. The level of hormones fluctuate as the antibody levels raise and lower. You move back and forth between hyper and hypo. It's really wrecks havoc with your poor body. Eventually the thyroid gland just dies off and they you are permanently hypo, with little, if any, thyroid function.

During all of this the adrenal glands are working their poor little hearts out to keep you going.. kicking in to compensate for hypo conditions and also kicking in to keep up when there are hyper conditions. Adrenal fatigue and exhaustion can eventually lead (after years of abuse) to adrenal failure, which means you die.

Until then.. you can become so miserable that you wish you were dead. Docs won't treat it, for the most part, until you are nearing death's door... some have to be threatened to even test.

Many of the symptoms of hypothyroid and low adrenal are the same. There are a couple of symptoms that seem to be pretty common. Sleep habits... slow to wake in the morning and then you get a 'second wind' and getting all kinds of stuff done late at night, not going to bed... Others find that they just can't sleep at night and stay awake til 'all hours'. For others, they fall asleep.. but then wake in the early hours of the morning and are unable to go back to sleep.. for all, they are exhausted and in desperate need of sleep... yet they can't.

It has to do with the normal ebb and flow of adrenal hormone in the system and how it works... once that cycle is disrupted through stress, abuse, untreated thyroid issues.. it's an effort to aid in their recovery.

But it can be done. Mine were in horrible shape. Insomnia for over a decade. Once waken I could not go back to sleep. Often getting only a two or three hours of sleep a night.. with the myriad of other ailments that go with that. I've been treating my self using an OTC adrenal glandular... I'm sleeping through the night, healing wounds and injuries. Not hit the ceiling if the phone rings or a car back fires.. all the good stuff that goes hand in hand with adrenals that are able to function more normally as they go through their healing process.

We can talk more of any, or all of this, you're just coming up to speed on this stuff and I'm sure that you'll have a ton of questions as they pertain to how you are feeling.. and if you have brain fog like so many of us... you'll be asking for reviews... No need to worry, we've all done it.. and most of us still do!!!

You're among friends here....

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:10:23 -0500 "Toni" writes:

I already know I have hashi's. I've had it for 20 years. What is adrenal fatigue? I was so exhausted when I got home from work last Friday night that I literally cried. My Dr. said today he sees no medical necessity to restrict my work hours. Why is it doctors play god and act like they know how we feel when they are clueless?

Toni List Owner of:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GDHWS/This is for guide dog handlers with residual vision.

Guest guest

Yes, I have brain fog. I have insomnia, and have had it for 20 years. I wake up tired, and go to bed exhausted with no relief from restful sleep. I am stiff in the morning, and if I sit too long.

I have decided I probably need to see an endocrinologist or rheumatologist. There is a clinic not far that has both, besides internal medicine. I'm going to try to make an appointment tomorrow, and hope to not have to wait 3 months to get in. Thanks for the explanations. Is there a test for adrenal fatigue?

This, is my opinion/wording.. but there is plenty of stuff to support it and I'm sure that a lot of the folks here are going to pipe in too....

When you have Hashi's the antibodies attack the thyroid gland, flat out messing stuff up. The level of hormones fluctuate as the antibody levels raise and lower. You move back and forth between hyper and hypo. It's really wrecks havoc with your poor body. Eventually the thyroid gland just dies off and they you are permanently hypo, with little, if any, thyroid function.

During all of this the adrenal glands are working their poor little hearts out to keep you going.. kicking in to compensate for hypo conditions and also kicking in to keep up when there are hyper conditions. Adrenal fatigue and exhaustion can eventually lead (after years of abuse) to adrenal failure, which means you die.

Until then.. you can become so miserable that you wish you were dead. Docs won't treat it, for the most part, until you are nearing death's door... some have to be threatened to even test.

Many of the symptoms of hypothyroid and low adrenal are the same. There are a couple of symptoms that seem to be pretty common. Sleep habits... slow to wake in the morning and then you get a 'second wind' and getting all kinds of stuff done late at night, not going to bed... Others find that they just can't sleep at night and stay awake til 'all hours'. For others, they fall asleep.. but then wake in the early hours of the morning and are unable to go back to sleep.. for all, they are exhausted and in desperate need of sleep... yet they can't.

It has to do with the normal ebb and flow of adrenal hormone in the system and how it works... once that cycle is disrupted through stress, abuse, untreated thyroid issues.. it's an effort to aid in their recovery.

But it can be done. Mine were in horrible shape. Insomnia for over a decade. Once waken I could not go back to sleep. Often getting only a two or three hours of sleep a night.. with the myriad of other ailments that go with that. I've been treating my self using an OTC adrenal glandular... I'm sleeping through the night, healing wounds and injuries. Not hit the ceiling if the phone rings or a car back fires.. all the good stuff that goes hand in hand with adrenals that are able to function more normally as they go through their healing process.

We can talk more of any, or all of this, you're just coming up to speed on this stuff and I'm sure that you'll have a ton of questions as they pertain to how you are feeling.. and if you have brain fog like so many of us... you'll be asking for reviews... No need to worry, we've all done it.. and most of us still do!!!

Topper ()

Toni List Owner of:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GDHWS/This is for guide dog handlers with residual vision.

Guest guest

I just took a test online for adrenal fatigue at http://www.hotzehealth-wellness.com/8-PointTreatment/Tests/TestLowAdrenal.htm

and scored THIRTY. It says if your score is 12 or above you likely have it. Hmm, wonder how they would interpret 30?

Topper ()

Guest guest

There is a test for adrenal function... Can someone post the name(s) I keep forgetting them.

The difference between being able to sleep again... well, it's better than chocolate... and I LOVE chocolate!

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:02:31 -0500 "Toni" writes:

Yes, I have brain fog. I have insomnia, and have had it for 20 years. I wake up tired, and go to bed exhausted with no relief from restful sleep. I am stiff in the morning, and if I sit too long.

I have decided I probably need to see an endocrinologist or rheumatologist. There is a clinic not far that has both, besides internal medicine. I'm going to try to make an appointment tomorrow, and hope to not have to wait 3 months to get in. Thanks for the explanations. Is there a test for adrenal fatigue?

Toni

Guest guest

And online text test.. hmmm.. I should take that and see how I'm doing... I've been self treating my adrenals for a little over a year....

hehehehe you just contributed to the group!!!

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:12:28 -0500 "Toni" writes:

I just took a test online for adrenal fatigue at http://www.hotzehealth-wellness.com/8-PointTreatment/Tests/TestLowAdrenal.htm

and scored THIRTY. It says if your score is 12 or above you likely have it. Hmm, wonder how they would interpret 30?

Toni

Guest guest

I scored 33!

Feisty

Topper ()

Guest guest

I hate your doctor too. You are right, they are playing god and treating

you as their personal guinea pig " Let's see how long without meds it

takes to get her really sick " . Grrrr.

Jan

Toni wrote:

> Jan,

> I have felt all along that I should have stayed on medication, but the

> doctor's don't agree. I asked my Dr. this morning if he could put me

> on a work restriction until we get my thyroid straightened out again

> because I get so exhausted so easily. He said no, there is no medical

> reason to restrict my hours. I hate Drs. who play god.

>

> Toni

> List Owner of:

> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GDHWS/

> This is for guide dog handlers with residual vision.

> And

> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ToniAtGDB/

> This mailing list is to share my experiences in getting my next dog.

Guest guest

Time to start taking those pills, .. you've got them right there!!!!

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:53:07 -0500 "Feisty\(ThyroFeisty\)" writes:

I scored 33!

Feisty

Guest guest

Toni,

You can read more about adrenals at http://thyroid.about.com

Adrenal fatigue is a consequence of untreated or undertreated hypo -

like you have.

Jan

Toni wrote:

> ,

> I already know I have hashi's. I've had it for 20 years. What is

> adrenal fatigue? I was so exhausted when I got home from work last

> Friday night that I literally cried. My Dr. said today he sees no

> medical necessity to restrict my work hours. Why is it doctors play

> god and act like they know how we feel when they are clueless?

>

> Toni

> List Owner of:

> And

> -

Guest guest

SSShhhhhhhhhh!

I think the squirrel ate them

Topper ()

I scored 33!

Feisty

Guest guest

.... Not gonna buy that one...

*smile*

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:43:18 -0500 "Feisty\(ThyroFeisty\)" writes:

SSShhhhhhhhhh!

I think the squirrel ate them

Guest guest

I scored a 7. So not going to take any adrenal meds.

Louise

> Time to start taking those pills, .. you've got them right

there!!!!

>

> Topper ()

>

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:53:07 -0500 " Feisty\(ThyroFeisty\) "

> <thyrofeisty@g...> writes:

> I scored 33!

> Feisty

Guest guest

Toni

Is it that, after you have become stabilized on thyroid meds, that they take you off, once they get normal readings, or is that suddenly, while on the meds, your Free T3 and Free T4 go into a VERY hyper range? Or is it that, like so many docs who don't know anything about thyroid disease, they are going ONLY by your TSH and nothing else? If this is the case, then you've been hypo all this time, ALL the time. If it is that you truly are getting very high readings on your thyroid hormone levels, then yes, that would be a legitimate reason to think that you are truly having these fluctuations? What were your last labs saying exactly?

I had the antibody testing for hashi 20 years ago, and it was positive. I have been on and off thyroid meds all this time. My thyroid goes from low to normal, to low to normal. I have had Doctor's who don't believe you need the medication if your thyroid is normal, even with hashi. So once again a few years ago they took me off of it. Now they see I need it again, so I have to go back on it. I read an article on about.com about this the other day, and it does say that there are doctor's who hold the belief that if your thyroid is normal you don't need the medication. This has been my experience.

Toni List Owner of:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GDHWS/

Guest guest

There is the ACTH Stimulation test as the best bet, as far as blood tests. The serum Cortisol is generally worthless. There is also the Dexamethasone Suppression test, where a pill is taken at night, then blood is drawn at around 8 am. Then there are the saliva tests, which reflect what is really going on with ALL the adrenal hormones, including Cortisol, DHEA and DHEAs, Progesterone, the Estrogens (all 3), and Testosterone, which women are supposed to have some of, as well as men. If any of these is out of balance, then those particular substances are brought back into harmoney and balance the best way with bioidentical hormones, not Premarin, Progestin, and such things.

There is a test for adrenal function... Can someone post the name(s) I keep forgetting them.

The difference between being able to sleep again... well, it's better than chocolate... and I LOVE chocolate!

Topper ()

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:02:31 -0500 "Toni" writes:

Toni

Guest guest

, I'm thinking that you have now gone hyper, hehe!

Topper ()

I scored 33!

Feisty

Guest guest

How about that. I scored 19 or 22 (wasn't sure about one of the

questions).

Hmm... had a feeling my adrenals were messed up.

blithe

> I just took a test online for adrenal fatigue at

>

http://www.hotzehealth-wellness.com/8-PointTreatment/Tests/TestLowAdrenal.ht

> m

> and scored THIRTY. It says if your score is 12 or above you likely

have it.

> Hmm, wonder how they would interpret 30?

>

> Toni

> List Owner of:

> And

Guest guest

No, just crazy! hehehehe

Topper ()

I scored 33!

Feisty

Guest guest

There is a saliva test for adrenal fatigue, some urine ones (not very

reliable), and the blood ACTH challenge, which is very reliable. I never

had the other ones, but my ACTH came back abnormal.

Jan

Toni wrote:

> ,

> Yes, I have brain fog. I have insomnia, and have had it for 20

> years. I wake up tired, and go to bed exhausted with no relief from

> restful sleep. I am stiff in the morning, and if I sit too long.

>

> I have decided I probably need to see an endocrinologist or

> rheumatologist. There is a clinic not far that has both, besides

> internal medicine. I'm going to try to make an appointment tomorrow,

> and hope to not have to wait 3 months to get in. Thanks for the

> explanations. Is there a test for adrenal fatigue?

>

> Toni

> List Owner of:

> And

Guest guest

I think they'd change the " likely " to " definitely " . LOL

Jan

Toni wrote:

> I just took a test online for adrenal fatigue at

> http://www.hotzehealth-wellness.com/8-PointTreatment/Tests/TestLowAdrenal.htm

> and scored THIRTY. It says if your score is 12 or above you likely

> have it. Hmm, wonder how they would interpret 30?

>

> Toni

> List Owner of:

> And