Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I wonder if some of the protocols for Landau-Kleffner variant kids (positive

Anne Connolly test, night spike-and-wave epileptiform activity) might be

helpful? Things such as IVIG, pulsed dose steroids (per the Chez protocol), or

night valium? It is very hard to find a neurologist who knows this stuff, but

Dan Rossignol and Jeff Bradstreet are focusing on it now with some success. If

the seizures are originating from auto-immune brain inflammation like in so many

of our kids, perhaps some of these treatments as an adjunct may work.

My son only had night epileptiform activity (spike and wave pattern) and a few

daytime absence episodes, and was AC positive. A SPECT scan showed several

seizure foci in various areas of his brain. Lamictal made his speech and social

learning bloom, but we were never able to get to the target dose because of mood

side effects. We are now supplementing with night valium and about to start a

pulsed dose steroid protocol to see if we can get on top of the few remaining

night spasms, though his EEG has normalized, yay! And he's doing very well.

Suzanne

-

> > > >

> > > > what seizures meds has anyone ever used, and have ANY ever worked?

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

• 8 months later...

My husband's seizures were eliminated with a magnesium,zinc,d3,and calcium

supplement (at the RDA level). Didn't take much. It's a shame it took ME to

diagnose him and resolve the issue. His doctor's did their best to prescribe

him depakote, lyrica, ... Didn't seem to care to listen to his symptoms and try

to find the cause.

>

> Seizures is often caused by imbalance of minerals, such as magnesium,

potassium, zinc.

> Bernie

>

>

>

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am not a doctor, but based on my personal experience, what you described are seizures. Some seizures are very hard to diagnosed and they can either dissapear, get worst, change pattern, etc.

My daugther has epilepsy since birth and I am very well inform about the type of seizures. I would recomend you to go to the epilepsy web site and read about seizure type.

You are very fortunate that those seizures has not changed patterns. In my girl case, she had partical seizures and when she reached puberty they changed to myoclonic...

Seizures affect you memory, that is the reason you do remember what you are talking about after it occurs.

( ) SeizuresI had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistentwith seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had aseizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since Iwas a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second ifthere is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times ithappened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop toremember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that somethingthat just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹thold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

What website?

On 8/10/10 9:27 AM, " tfitzge134@... " <tfitzge134@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am not a doctor, but based on my personal experience, what you described are seizures. Some seizures are very hard to diagnosed and they can either dissapear, get worst, change pattern, etc.

My daugther has epilepsy since birth and I am very well inform about the type of seizures. I would recomend you to go to the epilepsy web site and read about seizure type.

You are very fortunate that those seizures has not changed patterns. In my girl case, she had partical seizures and when she reached puberty they changed to myoclonic...

Seizures affect you memory, that is the reason you do remember what you are talking about after it occurs.

( ) Seizures

I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent

with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a

seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I

was a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if

there is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it

happened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to

remember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something

that just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t

hold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

That is the reason I DO remember what I’m talking about or the reason I DON’T? At any rate what will happen is I black out for a split second and then will be like “what was I talking about?” And a few seconds later, “Oh yeah.” And then I remember. :)

On 8/10/10 9:27 AM, " tfitzge134@... " <tfitzge134@...> wrote:

Hi,

( ) Seizures

I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent

with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a

seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I

was a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if

there is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it

happened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to

remember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something

that just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t

hold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

If the doc's found that you were having seizures, they would have followed up with more evaluations or medication to control the seizures. You need to contact them and discuss what it means and what you need to do about it, if anything.

Glitches can show up on MRI/EEG evaluations and sometimes they have no clue what it means other than that it is abnormal for some reason. I am sure if they thought you were having seizures, they would follow up with medication or further testing. If they were not clear in explaining it to you, then you need to go back and discuss it further.

As for forgetting what you were saying when talking, that happens to people a lot really. We have a lot on our minds or we are under a lot of stress and then the thought flies out of our head as we are saying it. I do that all the time. My youngest ds (dyslexia) does this A LOT and has a documented poor word recall ability. I don't know that this suggests seizures but if you worry, you should go ask the doctor's who did the test and find out.

Roxanna

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

( ) Seizures

I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I’m guessing since I was a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if there is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren’t doctors and I won’t hold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

Honestly, I’m more interested than worried. In fact, I’m not worried at all. I think it’s kind of neat, actually. ;) Anyway those “blackouts” where I forget what I was talking about are rare and they only happen if I accidentally suddenly look directly at the sun, or maybe a cloud moves away from the sun and there’s that sudden burst of insanely bright light.

When I had the EEG, my doctor told me that as long as I wasn’t passing out or going into fits that I probably have nothing to worry about.

JE

On 8/10/10 10:50 AM, " Roxanna " <MadIdeas@...> wrote:

If the doc's found that you were having seizures, they would have followed up with more evaluations or medication to control the seizures. You need to contact them and discuss what it means and what you need to do about it, if anything.

Glitches can show up on MRI/EEG evaluations and sometimes they have no clue what it means other than that it is abnormal for some reason. I am sure if they thought you were having seizures, they would follow up with medication or further testing. If they were not clear in explaining it to you, then you need to go back and discuss it further.

As for forgetting what you were saying when talking, that happens to people a lot really. We have a lot on our minds or we are under a lot of stress and then the thought flies out of our head as we are saying it. I do that all the time. My youngest ds (dyslexia) does this A LOT and has a documented poor word recall ability. I don't know that this suggests seizures but if you worry, you should go ask the doctor's who did the test and find out.

Roxanna

( ) Seizures

I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I’m guessing since I was a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if there is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren’t doctors and I won’t hold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

You can do a 24hour EEG and you might have better luck catching it. I know a lot of friends who didn;'t see them on 3 or 6 hours but did on 23.From: tfitzge134@... <tfitzge134@...>Subject: Re: ( ) Seizures Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 7:27 AM

Hi,

( ) SeizuresI had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistentwith seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had aseizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since Iwas a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second ifthere is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times ithappened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop toremember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that somethingthat just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹thold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

Hi,

Most doctors will not put you on medication for small seizures that happen periodically.The side effects of the medication can be worst than the seizures..It took eight years for the doctors to diagnosed my daugther. She started with small seizures and then after reaching puberty her seizures pattern changed. Now she has to take medicine...

I have migrane and it also can mimic seizures. Light bother me, but I do not block out, I do feel for passing out sometimes.

Word of caution: Please be cautious when you driving a car. It happened to me once that I had to stopped the car in the highway because the sun light stroke me so bad that I was going to pass out..

This is the link to a web site regarding epilepsy. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/

It looks to me that you have nothing to worry about, but always is good to get information about seizures because they are very common.....

( ) Seizures> > > > > > I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent> with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a> seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I was> a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if there is a> sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I> was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was> talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to> people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t hold you responsible> for your answers. I am merely curious. :)> > > > > > > > > >

Thanks... I found the website anyway. And as for driving, I don’t worry about that because I live in NYC, don’t have a car, and take public transportation. I got my license when I was twenty, but I actually haven’t driven without my dad in the car... And I think the last time I drove was in ‘03! Someday I really need to become a competent driver so I can be more independent if leaving the city... But for now I’m fine! :)

On 8/10/10 11:53 AM, " tfitzge134@... " <tfitzge134@...> wrote:

Hi,

Most doctors will not put you on medication for small seizures that happen periodically.The side effects of the medication can be worst than the seizures..It took eight years for the doctors to diagnosed my daugther. She started with small seizures and then after reaching puberty her seizures pattern changed. Now she has to take medicine...

I have migrane and it also can mimic seizures. Light bother me, but I do not block out, I do feel for passing out sometimes.

Word of caution: Please be cautious when you driving a car. It happened to me once that I had to stopped the car in the highway because the sun light stroke me so bad that I was going to pass out..

This is the link to a web site regarding epilepsy. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/

It looks to me that you have nothing to worry about, but always is good to get information about seizures because they are very common.....

( ) Seizures

>

>

>

>

>

> I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent

> with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a

> seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I was

> a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if there is a

> sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I

> was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was

> talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to

> people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t hold you responsible

> for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

That is exactly how my daughters epilepsy developed. I suspected petit mal when she was little, but couldn't prove it. When she reached adolescence and had the vaccine that is new for girls ( I forget the name right now) she started having grand mal seizures about a month later. She is now on meds every day.From: "tfitzge134@..." <tfitzge134@...>To:

Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 11:53:41 AMSubject: Re: ( ) Seizures

Hi,

Most doctors will not put you on medication for small seizures that happen periodically. The side effects of the medication can be worst than the seizures..It took eight years for the doctors to diagnosed my daugther. She started with small seizures and then after reaching puberty her seizures pattern changed. Now she has to take medicine...

This is the link to a web site regarding epilepsy. http://www.epilepsy foundation. org/about/

( ) Seizures> > > > > > I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent> with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a> seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I was> a kid) once in a great while I will

black out for a split second if there is a> sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I> was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was> talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to> people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t hold you responsible> for your answers. I am merely curious. :)> > > > > > > > > >

possibly having seizures would be neat?

Roxanna

( ) Seizures

A 24 hour constant monitoring in a sleep center, is what I would reccommend you ask for. We had one at home and found out later at 133 spikes during his 6 hours of sleep that it only recorded every 7 minutes a little zone of the info instead of all the info for the 24 hours. My son had no signs of seizures in office, or during the day at all but at night , the activity was of the charts - and no one ever saw it because we were all sleeping. Our only hint was rageful mornings, complete constant exhaustion, as well as sleep walking and talking episodes ( we thought were night terrors originally) and frequent falling out of bed incidents, an occassional bed wetting. I thought it would be less stressful to do at home and went with that option only to find out we had to do in a hospital anyways again - no fun : ( My poor guy has been through 4 EEGs in

the last couple years. Thankfully we found the right meds finally but we never would have known if we didn't have some really thorough biomedical doctors, because the regular neurologist dismissed us after the first in office EEG failed to pick up anything after my son refused to sleep there.

Good luck to you and follow your instincts. Somehow my insides told me to keep following up on this and I am so glad I did.

From: tfitzge134comcast (DOT) net <tfitzge134comcast (DOT) net>Subject: Re: ( ) Seizures Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 7:27 AM

Hi,

( ) SeizuresI had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistentwith seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had aseizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since Iwas a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second ifthere is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times ithappened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop toremember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that somethingthat just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹thold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious.

:)

It also depends on from which part of the brain seizure activity originates. We

know a little girl who definitely has seizures, but they come from deep in the

middle of her brain and do not show up on EEG - she has done both the 24 hour

backpack EEG and the video EEGs, and neither show the seizures on EEG, even

though they are caught on the video. The brain is so complicated!

>

> From: tfitzge134@... <tfitzge134@...>

> Subject: Re: ( ) Seizures

>

> Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 7:27 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi,

>  

> I am not a doctor, but based on my personal experience, what you

described are seizures. Some seizures are very hard to diagnosed and they can

either dissapear, get worst, change pattern, etc.

> My daugther has epilepsy  since birth and I am very well inform about the

type of seizures. I would recomend you to go to the epilepsy web site and read

about seizure type.

> You are very fortunate that those seizures has not changed patterns. In my

girl case, she had partical seizures and when she reached puberty they changed

to myoclonic...

> Seizures affect you memory, that is the reason you do remember what you are

talking about after it occurs.

>

> ( ) Seizures

>

> I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent

> with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a

> seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I

> was a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if

> there is a sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it

> happened when I was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to

> remember what I was talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something

> that just happens to people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t

> hold you responsible for your answers. I am merely curious. :)

>

>

>

My girl had the vaccine, I wonder if it has something to do with her seizures getting so bad...

You might be right, or it might be a coincidence... ( ) Seizures> > > > > > I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent> with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a> seizure... But now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I was> a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if there is a> sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I> was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was> talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to> people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t hold you responsible> for your answers. I am merely curious. :)> > > > > > > > > >

Did she have seizures before the Gardisil? From: "tfitzge134@..." <tfitzge134@...> Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 3:04:15 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Seizures

My girl had the vaccine, I wonder if it has something to do with her seizures getting so bad...

You might be right, or it might be a coincidence. .. ( ) Seizures> > > > > > I had an EEG a few years back and they found brainwave patterns consistent> with seizure activity in my brain. As far as I knew, I had never had a> seizure... But

now that I think about it, for years (I¹m guessing since I was> a kid) once in a great while I will black out for a split second if there is a> sudden surge of brightness from the sun... A couple times it happened when I> was in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop to remember what I was> talking about. Is that a seizure or is that something that just happens to> people? Yes, I know you guys aren¹t doctors and I won¹t hold you responsible> for your answers. I am merely curious. :)> > > > > > > > > >

• 1 month later...

No Beverly, but anyone can be allergic to naltrexone, has that person not ever

had a seizure before taking LDN?

, LDN user 7 yrs.

-----------------

-----------------

>

> Does anyone know of a case where LDN actually caused a seizure?

>

> Beverly

>

• 1 month later...

So grateful to have an EEG done. We found out our child was having complex

partials several times a day. It had not been done before due to normal MRI.

Amazing how a child can have a seizure, and they are not recognized. Hope is

what we have for future progress once the seizures are under control.

LH

Thank you . I have heard of the ketogenic diet. My son is 15 and very

thin. I'm worried about him losing weight on the diet. He hasn't been able to

gain a pound since we took out all the gluten, dairy, junk food, etc. We were

worried he was developing addison's disease when he first started having

seizures. His cortisol was very low and he had the low BP, low energy, low

pulse, low blood sugars, low calcium and skin darkening. One of the symptoms of

's is not being able to gain weight. We have him on Adrenal supplements

and that seems to be helping, along with lots of good ocean salt, but he's still

having the seizures. We haven't put him on meds yet. So I guess my question is

it possible to feed a growing skinny teenager enough food to make sure he

develops properly? And if he is on the road to 's disease could this diet

stop that too?

Thanks again,

>

> Hi ,

>

> Bee's diet is the perfect for anyone with epilepsy. Did you know that the

preferred treatment for epilepsy is a ketogenic diet and has been used since the

1920s to cure epilepsy? A ketogenic diet is called that because it puts the

body into ketosis (fat burning) by eating low carbs and high fat.

>

> In October, I attended a parent's conference for kids with epilepsy using the

ketogenic diet for treatment. It was a medical-based conference, but a lot the

same ideas apply to Bee's program. One thing that I took away from that

conference that I was surprised to hear the medical community say was that a

ketogenic diet (Bee's diet) has neuro-protective qualities, meaning that eating

this way and being in ketosis actually helps to protect the nerves.

>

> If you Google epilepsy and ketogenic diet, you will find a lot of information

about it. In particular, you can read up on the treatment of epilepsy through a

website called The Charlie Foundation and another one called 's Friends.

>

> For the most part, the traditional ketogenic diet is very similar to Bee's.

The main difference is that it allows cream and cheese as well as aspartame and

other artificial sweeteners. Bee's program is much more about using healthy

foods to heal the whole body, not just reduce seizures.

>

> I hope that helps. If you have more questions, I'm happy to help.

>

> Group Moderator

Hi ,

Not everyone on Bee's diet loses weight. My son was 3.5 when he started on

Bee's diet and he didn't lose any weight. He's now 5.5 and is a nice healthy

weight. He was never skinny on this diet. We always let him eat until he is

full while keeping his fat levels high.

You'll have to check with Bee, but I'm pretty sure that there have been people

who have cured 's on her diet. Do you know for sure that he has

's or was he just having those symptoms you are describing?

Bee's diet will eventually balance out cortisol levels and the other things you

are concerned about.

I think the key to stopping the seizures is make sure he is well and truly in

ketosis. At the conference I went to, it seemed that some kids needed lower

ketones while other kids needed higher ketones to be completely seizure-free,

but that is something you can adjust after you get him into ketosis.

I'm sure you know that every time he has a seizure, it damages his brain, so

you're number one concern should be to stop the seizures. His weight is the

least of your concerns and that will eventually balance out on this diet anyway.

I encourage you give this diet a try.

All the best,

Group Moderator

>

> Thank you . I have heard of the ketogenic diet. My son is 15 and very

thin. I'm worried about him losing weight on the diet. He hasn't been able to

gain a pound since we took out all the gluten, dairy, junk food, etc. We were

worried he was developing addison's disease when he first started having

seizures. His cortisol was very low and he had the low BP, low energy, low

pulse, low blood sugars, low calcium and skin darkening. One of the symptoms of

's is not being able to gain weight. We have him on Adrenal supplements

and that seems to be helping, along with lots of good ocean salt, but he's still

having the seizures. We haven't put him on meds yet. So I guess my question is

it possible to feed a growing skinny teenager enough food to make sure he

develops properly? And if he is on the road to 's disease could this diet

stop that too?

>

> Thanks again,

• 3 weeks later...

How old is your child? My son was about 8 years old when he was tested and he,

too, showed spikes on his EEG and normal MRI. I was hopeful as well but I did

not realize that seizures may get worse as they go through puberty. My son had

his 1st grand mal about 7 months after showing spikes on his EEG. Are you doing

the protocol? Many people here have had their children's seizures stop

after beginning treatment.

Cheers,

Jill

Subject: Seizures

Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

LH

I have two boys who were having seizures before the protocol. They both

have been successfully weaned from seizure meds and have been seizure free for a

year now.

All the best,

Robyn

Subject: Seizures

Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

LH

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. We are in the midst of trying

anti-seizure meds, and it has been a rollercoaster around here. My son is 6. A

complex-partial was recorded during a 45 minute EEG. His MRI came back normal.

We are starting our second trial of meds. Hopefully this one will work. We are

following the protocol. We have only been on it for 5 months. The number

of seizures seem to have dropped but not stopped yet. His seizures are not

always recognizable. However, we are seeing gains cognitively.

LH

>

>

> From: LH <lrkhmomx3@...>

> Subject: Seizures

>

> Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> So grateful to have an EEG done. We found out our child was having complex

>

> LH

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>