RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Medication question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My ds is the same way. Asking him to do his chores or school work - sometimes he acts like I am out to defeat his soul. lol.

Roxanna

"I

predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Jefferson

( ) Medication question

My ds is 12 yo and diagnosed with AS, Mood Disorder NOS, ADHD, and ODD. We recently had to change some meds around. Has anyone ever heard of hallucinations during rages being a side effect of removing meds or increasing dosages? He takes Trileptal, Abilify, Intuniv, Metadate CD, and Claritin. We removed Lexapro and Singulair last week. This is a new behavior but it is extremely damaging and dangerous. He was convinced yesterday that I was a "terrorist" and wouldn't let me get my 2yo daughter out of the car at the grocery store. This is very dangerous to us for him to be saying these things since we live on a miltary base. Obviously, saying those kinds of things in public doesn't go over well here.... I've never seen him NOT be able to pull himself together when we go out in public. Usually he will continue to fuss in the car, but when we get out in a parking lot, he manages to control himself enough to not be shouting and things like that. Yesterd

ay, it was like he was completely lost and truly believed what he was saying.

Any ideas? I'm going to put a call into his psychiatrist this morning, but I wanted to see if anyone has seen anything like this before with med changes.

Thanks,

Angi

Guest guest

I looked at the .pdf file with the medication alert list, but just to be

certain...

We are considering starting my daughter on Concerta, it doesn't look like that

is on the list of medications CMT kids should stay away from. Am I right?

Thanks for your input.

Guest guest

Yikes, I googled the side effects of this medicine. Pretty scary stuff,

especially for us CMTers who seem to get every side effect listed, and some that

aren't. Headaches, dry mouth (read, persistent nagging cough), nausea, insomnea,

tics, Yikes!

It scares me this drug is even considered safe. I would proceed with caution on

this one.

O

Re: Medication question

Just because something is NOT on the CMT Medical Alert, doesn't mean it

can't cause problems. I hope you have done/or will do plenty of research on

it. My only concern is that taking Concerta may cause tremor in her hands -

or rather bring out the dormant tremor that might not otherwise appear till

later in life. My second concern for your daughter with CMT is to be advised

of any breathing/respiratory problems she develops, if any, because

sometimes people with CMT do develop serious breathing problems.

Gretchen

Guest guest

What we had to do for the longest time with our 5 year old is we had to buy a pill crusher and put it in a teaspoon of ice cream or sherbet. Something that hides the taste of the pill. As for liquid medicine we mixed it with strawberry or chocolate milk, again, something to hide the taste. Jaylin was and still is at times horrible at taking meds too :(Live, laugh, and loveJoyOn Mar 10, 2012, at 4:55 PM, "Amy Barrett Peiffer, 31 Independent Consultant" <amysells31@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some input on administration of medication when we cast. I don't know if every hospital is different, but we go to Shriner's in Philadelphia. My 22m old daughter, Aly, is given a tylenol/sedative mixture when we get there to make the administration of the iv anesthesia possible, which makes perfect sense. I wouldn't want to be pricking a 2 year old! =)

My question, however, is that she DETESTS this medicine and the battle to get it in her gets progressively worse with every cast. She fights, cries, freaks. She won't even take Tylenol at home any more because of our battles come cast time. Does anyone have any experience with this being given intramuscularly as opposed to by mouth? It's virtually our ONLY trouble we have each time and i really want to streamline things.

Thanks,

Amy

Sent from my iPhone 4

=

Guest guest

You can decline it. We decline it for Logan and actually his recovery has been a ton better! - From: "Amy Barrett Peiffer, 31 Independent Consultant" <amysells31@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 4:55 PM Subject: medication question

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some input on administration of medication when we cast. I don't know if every hospital is different, but we go to Shriner's in Philadelphia. My 22m old daughter, Aly, is given a tylenol/sedative mixture when we get there to make the administration of the iv anesthesia possible, which makes perfect sense. I wouldn't want to be pricking a 2 year old! =)

My question, however, is that she DETESTS this medicine and the battle to get it in her gets progressively worse with every cast. She fights, cries, freaks. She won't even take Tylenol at home any more because of our battles come cast time. Does anyone have any experience with this being given intramuscularly as opposed to by mouth? It's virtually our ONLY trouble we have each time and i really want to streamline things.

Thanks,

Amy

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest guest

I wish we could decline, but at 22m her clingy-daddy-mommy thing makes it

impossible. She starts whimpering the minute we get through the door. They're

really good about giving her space and Nurse B is wonderful at being laid back

for her but all the strangers get her in a hiccuping crying mess until the

sedative takes effect. After that she's great. =\

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest guest

Interesting the differences, Kylie gets nothing, she is put to sleep with the gas/mask, takes about 30 seconds to get her to sleep and then the needles go in after. Initially the mask was a scary thing for her, she freaked out when they put the mask on at the MRI but with 5 medical staff standing around looking at her, I think it was overwhelming. Now, she is nervous as we walk into the OR but she tries to be brave. Last visit, she yelled to the Dr that her friend (who has the same DR for a completely different issue) said hello.They let her keep the mask after the last procedure and she came home and showed everyone how it worked and says to them, "here you go, put the mask on, take a deep breath now relax. There you go, now your cast is on!"We go for cast #5 on Wednesday! Mom to Kylie just turned 3!On 2012-03-10, at 9:02 PM, Medlin wrote:

You can decline it. We decline it for Logan and actually his recovery has been a ton better! - From: "Amy Barrett Peiffer, 31 Independent Consultant" <amysells31@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 4:55 PM Subject: medication question

Hi all,

Thanks,

Amy

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest guest

This happened with my daughter Liv…She was so traumatized by the repeated taste of versed (in infancy) that she wouldn’t event take Tylenol/motrin at home when she was sick…She was always her own worst enemy with oral/liquid meds and eventually we just stopped any pre orals before anesthesia and she did fine. As she got older, she actually preferred IV meds (inserting the needle) over orals…go figure.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Amy Barrett Peiffer, 31 Independent ConsultantSent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:56 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: medication question Hi all,I'm just looking for some input on administration of medication when we cast. I don't know if every hospital is different, but we go to Shriner's in Philadelphia. My 22m old daughter, Aly, is given a tylenol/sedative mixture when we get there to make the administration of the iv anesthesia possible, which makes perfect sense. I wouldn't want to be pricking a 2 year old! =)My question, however, is that she DETESTS this medicine and the battle to get it in her gets progressively worse with every cast. She fights, cries, freaks. She won't even take Tylenol at home any more because of our battles come cast time. Does anyone have any experience with this being given intramuscularly as opposed to by mouth? It's virtually our ONLY trouble we have each time and i really want to streamline things. Thanks,AmySent from my iPhone 4

Guest guest

Interesting…never heard of it!  Sounds better than oral versed…ive tasted it myself and its super bad.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of missikay10@...Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:57 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: medication question Amy,The last couple of casts we got they gave the versed up the nose with a sponge on the end and a quick squirt. He still hated it but he didnt see what was coming. Maybe ask about that.Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID medication question Hi all,I'm just looking for some input on administration of medication when we cast. I don't know if every hospital is different, but we go to Shriner's in Philadelphia. My 22m old daughter, Aly, is given a tylenol/sedative mixture when we get there to make the administration of the iv anesthesia possible, which makes perfect sense. I wouldn't want to be pricking a 2 year old! =)My question, however, is that she DETESTS this medicine and the battle to get it in her gets progressively worse with every cast. She fights, cries, freaks. She won't even take Tylenol at home any more because of our battles come cast time. Does anyone have any experience with this being given intramuscularly as opposed to by mouth? It's virtually our ONLY trouble we have each time and i really want to streamline things. Thanks,AmySent from my iPhone 4