powder products. In some studies with aged garlic extract it took about six

months to lower blood lipids, while garlic cloves and standardized garlic

powder showed significant decreases after one or two months. "

That was an excerpt from this site which contains some great information on

the benefits of garlic:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0826/is_4_16/ai_63536199#continue

Garlic, as in all other things, needs to be monitored as to its origins and

its preparation as anything other than organic, US-grown garlic runs the

risk of having dangerous lead and arsenic levels.

" The results of the product testing revealed high levels of lead, arsenic

and added sulfites in two supermarket-brand garlic powders from store

shelves. It is possible for such products to consist of blends including

low-price imported dehydrated garlic from facilities using the coal drying

process. If these products were tested by their manufacturers with the most

conservative testing method, they should have been labeled as containing

added sulfites under existing informal U.S. Food and Drug Administration

(FDA) guidance, according to AWF..The results also showed particularly high

levels of the contaminants in the imported garlic produced with the

direct-coal-fire drying process and used as ingredients in value-added

products. Two of the three imported garlic products dried with direct-coal

fires contain levels of lead that would prohibit them from being sold in

Europe because they exceed the European standard (one tested product by 500

percent and one by 300 percent). The United States does not have limits on

the amount of lead and arsenic in dried garlic, though there is a level of

added sulfites beyond which dried garlic is to be labeled as containing

added sulfites. Under existing informal FDA guidance, two of these products

should be labeled as containing added sulfites to be sold in the United

States. However, it is not practical to test each and every ingredient, and

there is not complete confidence that appropriate labeling is consistently

applied. " <http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming_garlic_imports_high/>

http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming_garlic_imports_high/

The way I view it, the Romans had their lead pipes that did 'em in, and we

have a very sick and broken food & medical system here in the United States.

-Sharon, NH

Deut 11:14 He will put grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will

have plenty to eat.

>Kyolic makes " odorless " garlic capsules. I have opened them and there

>is only a very, very, faint smell.

>

Guest guest

What you bought is a head of garlic, which is made up of several cloves.

Open up the head and pull out a clove and pull the paper off it. You can

flatten the clove with a knife and the paper is more easily removed. This

is what you want to eat. You can either chew it or swallow. If you have

never eaten a clove of garlic, it might be hot to you. You may want to eat

it with a slice of apple or other food.

Kenda

> Ok I went to store and bought those white round things that say Garlic...now

> does one of them count as one ? Or is it something inside you count as

> cloves ? I don't know..LOL....and do you swallow or chew ?

Guest guest

, You peel the paper-like covering away, then crush the cloves . . . The chemical that is so beneficial is created when the clove is crushed. . . so you can either crush it before eating it, or chew it as you eat it. . . The temptation is to cut it into chunks that you can swallow . . . This doesn't release the chemical. The garlic pills that you can buy OTC, have been processed so much of the benefits are gone. Some brands are better than others . . . Kolic is one brand that freeze dries the garlic . . . Still, it's expensive and not as beneficial as fresh garlic. Rogene

Guest guest

I also want to mention that it is best to let the garlic sit for about 10-30 minutes before you consume it after chopping it into pieces. This allows the allicin to develop into its most potent and beneficial active state through oxygenation. Here is an article that describes some of the benefits associated with garlic consumption, below. Dr. Weil has suggested that it is convenient to chop the garlic into bite sized pieces and swallow them like pills. I have done it this way often. I do like the taste of garlic however, and find that the easiest way to consume it and enjoy it is with cooked chicken, Greek style. The flavors marry very well together. Garlic Health Benefits In the eighteenth century in France, gravediggers used garlic to protect themselves from getting the Plague. In WW1 and WW2 soldiers took garlic to protect themselves from gangrene. People today use garlic to prevent plaque buildup on the arteries, improve high blood pressure, reduce coughs, colds, bronchitis, and even pneumonia. Did you know that the antibiotic activity of one milligram of allicin (the active ingredient in garlic), equals 15 units of penicillin? In research, it has been diluted to 1 part per 125,000 and still killed bacteria. It is an extremely effective, broad-spectrum antibiotic, killing gram

negative and gram positive. Garlic's use has been proven to destroy many types of bacteria including Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Typhoid, Diphtheria, Cholera, E. Coli, Bacterial Dysentery (Traveler's Diarrhea), Tuberculosis, Tetanus, Rheumatic bacteria, Bacillus cereus, bacillus subtilis, Mycobacterium smegmatis, Streptomyces griseus, Staphylococcus aureus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Klebsiella, pneumoniae, and Xanthomonas maltophilia and many others. Another one of garlic's health benefits is its expectorant properties and its powerful effect on the lungs. I have taken raw garlic crushed and put into salsa at the beginning of a cough and was completely cured of it. However, this has to be done the first day of a cough in order to have maximum

benefits. Taking garlic for pneumonia or tuberculosis has also been shown effective, since garlic also has antiviral and antibacterial properties. When our kids have been sick, we have put crushed garlic mixed with olive oil on the bottom of their feet, then put socks on them while they slept. Using this method gets garlic's healing properties into the blood stream. After doing this our children were fine the next day. A garlic wash (crushed garlic mixed with warm water) is great for bites, stings and cuts. Make sure always to check to see if any irritation or burning occures if garlic is left on the skin longer than 20 minutes. Garlic can blister and burn the skin, even if you do not feel anything burning, especially if applied without oil. In studies, garlic has also been shown to be effective against parasites. Recently, in another study, a

combination garlic extract effectively worked against children's ear infections. One study found garlic to significantly lower blood pressure. In this study, people with high blood pressure were given just one clove of garlic a day for 12 weeks. Their diastolic blood pressure and cholesterol levels were then significantly reduced. Many more studies have been and are being done on the benefits of garlic. Garlic is an awesome herb God has given us. Garlic remedies have also been used to treat cancer, the common cold, diabetes, high cholesterol, atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and more. Garlic is best eaten

raw and the most potent garlic preparations are the ones made at home. It should only be taken raw for short periods of time for temporary conditions. Garlic in its raw form (chopped and let to sit for about 30 minutes), is good for any kind of bacterial, viral, or fungal infections, bites, etc. Garlic should be chopped and slightly cooked if taking for high blood pressure, asthma, arthritis, etc. Click here to read this informative page about some very effective garlic remedies and how to prepare them. Ask your doctor before taking garlic if you are taking any kind of blood thinning medications or if you are about to have surgery of any kind. Always inform your doctor of any herbs or other medicines you are taking to avoid any drug

interactions. http://www.ucanbewell.com/garlic.htmlRogene S <saxony01@...> wrote: , You peel the paper-like covering away, then crush the cloves . . . The chemical that is so beneficial is created when the clove is crushed. . . so you can either crush it before eating it, or chew it as you eat it. . . The temptation is to cut it into chunks that you can swallow . . . This doesn't release the

chemical. The garlic pills that you can buy OTC, have been processed so much of the benefits are gone. Some brands are better than others . . . Kolic is one brand that freeze dries the garlic . . . Still, it's expensive and not as beneficial as fresh garlic. Rogene

Sneak preview the all-new .com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.

Guest guest

Actually, cutting it does release the chemical. It is the oxidation that occurs when it is cut that releases it. I disagree with this gentleman's suggestion that garlic in any form is good for you. Cooking does destroy the beneficial chemical, so raw is preferred. Capsules are convenient if you don't like the taste or the smell, but they will be more expensive forms than taking it raw. Patty Active Ingredients In one of the great ironies of nature, raw garlic has very little biological activity. But when you "damage" garlic cloves - by slicing, cooking, or chewing - the enzyme alliinase immediately converts alliin into allicin, which gives garlic its characteristic odor. Allicin was once thought to be garlic's principal active ingredient. However, researchers now know that allicin is rapidly oxidized. More than 100 biologically active

sulfur-containing compounds, proteins, and saponins are created as a result of this oxidation. While allicin may still serve as a general marker of garlic's potency, research increasingly points to S-allylcysteine and other compounds as the most therapeutically active ingredients in garlic. So how should you take garlic? Most scientific studies have, for consistency, used a standardized garlic extract in capsule or liquid form. However, just about any form offers some benefits. If you enjoy the taste of garlic, use it liberally in your food. If the taste and odor turn you off, opt for deodorized garlic capsules. Either way, garlic is good for your health. http://www.nutritionreporter.com/garlic.htmlRogene S <saxony01@...> wrote: , You peel the paper-like covering away, then crush the cloves . . . The chemical that is so beneficial is created when the clove is crushed. . . so you can either crush it before eating it, or chew it as you eat it. . . The temptation is to cut it into chunks that you can swallow . . . This doesn't release the chemical. The garlic pills that you can buy OTC, have been processed so much of the benefits are gone. Some brands are better than others . . . Kolic is one brand that freeze dries the garlic . . . Still, it's expensive and not as beneficial as fresh garlic. Rogene

Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

HAh I knew you girls would laugh I had no clue...why not use Garlic supplements ?

Guest guest

LOL, , this reminds me of one of my very first dates with my husband. He invited me over to his place for dinner. (Wasn't that sweet? He cooked!) One of the recipes he made was one he hadn't made before, and it called for a clove of garlic. He was confused too, and didn't know if it was the whole bulb, or just one part of it. He chose to use the whole bulb! You can imagine how a dish with a whole bulb of garlic in it tasted! Wow! A clove is just one of those pieces that breaks off of the bulb. In order to get the most benefit from garlic, it needs to be cut, sliced, or crushed to release the allicin. First peel off the paper skin, and then after you have cut it, let it sit for about 10 minutes. You can eat raw garlic with cheese and crackers, meats like cooked chicken, hummus, in salads, on sandwiches, or just plain by itself. When

I am in a hurry to get alot of garlic down and don't have much time to eat it, I chop it into pill-sized pieces, give it a quick chomp before I swallow it, and follow that with a sip of juice to cut the burn. You'll have to experiment with it, but I am quite certain you will see good results if you can use it regularly. PattyGMCLADY98@... wrote: Ok I went to store and bought those white round things that say Garlic...now does one of them

count as one ? Or is it something inside you count as cloves ? I don't know..LOL....and do you swallow or chew ?

Sneak preview the all-new .com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.

Guest guest

Patty, that's hilarious! A whole head of garlic - the viruses, and

little fungii were just screaming and running around!

AHHHHH...please don't kill us! One of my favorite ways to eat garlic

is to chop it finely and sprinkle it on my white kernel air-popped

popcorn snack - I use some non-cholesterol Becel melted and sprinkle

a few cloves on it. MMMMMMMMMMMMhhh! Mind you, I was raised in a

Ukrainian household, so garlic was just like air to us. l0l

We used to joke about Ukrainian women wearing a ring of garlic around

their neck, therefore they would only attract Ukrainian men...which

is what their mothers would want! Ha Ha!

> Ok I went to store and bought those white round things

that say Garlic...now does one of them count as one ? Or is it

something inside you count as cloves ? I don't know..LOL....and do

you swallow or chew ?

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Sneak preview the all-new .com. It's not radically different.

Just radically better.

>

Guest guest

Hey Girls I ate some cloves not the whole garlic...hahhaah and I have no reflux ! Is it good for that ? Also how do you get your breath to not smell so bad ?

Guest guest

Smart women, those Ukranians!Sunny <wellnessnow@...> wrote: Patty, that's hilarious! A whole head of garlic - the viruses, and little fungii were just screaming and running around! AHHHHH...please don't kill us! One of my favorite ways to eat garlic is to chop it finely and sprinkle it on my white kernel air-popped popcorn snack - I use some non-cholesterol Becel melted and sprinkle a few cloves on it. MMMMMMMMMMMMhhh! Mind you, I was raised in a Ukrainian household, so garlic was just like air to us.

l0lWe used to joke about Ukrainian women wearing a ring of garlic around their neck, therefore they would only attract Ukrainian men...which is what their mothers would want! Ha Ha!> Ok I went to store and bought those white round things that say Garlic...now does one of them count as one ? Or is it something inside you count as cloves ? I don't know..LOL....and do you swallow or chew ? > >

> > > > ---------------------------------> Sneak preview the all-new .com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.>

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.

Try it free.

Guest guest

You can....it's just more expensive and not any more effective (possibly less?) than the real thing (raw.) Garlic at the grocery store is a heck of alot cheaper! PattyGMCLADY98@... wrote: HAh I knew you girls would laugh I had no clue...why not use Garlic supplements ?

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

,By the time you get to a full dose (12 cloves), garlic will be coming out of every pore . . . Don't worry about the smell. Just know that this is a part of healing! . . . I'm glad to hear you're not having reflux . . Do you usually experience reflux?Rogene

Guest guest

, I buy little capsules called " Ensure " - they are oil-filled

capsules that have parslet seeds in them. They work awesomely. Also,

myh Mom & I have taken 1/2 tsp. of dry coffee grounds and swallowed

them down with some water. Works great --- don't know why. Also,

eating fresh parsley after helps.

Take care & keep loving yourself,

Sunny :)

>

> Hey Girls I ate some cloves not the whole garlic...hahhaah and I have

no

> reflux ! Is it good for that ? Also how do you get your breath to not

smell so

> bad ?

>

Guest guest

I sent this message once but it never showed up, probably will show

up tomorrow. I don't know what is going on with that.

Grape seed extract, raw garlic, and no white starches, sugars of any

kind, including artificial sweeteners. And Diflucan again, or the

sporanox, which took 6 weeks to give me relief, but did work.

You just cannot have white starches (including potatoes, rice, bread,

pasta). I had to avoid dairy for a long time, but now can eat yogurt

(no sugar, plain with a little fresh fruit). You must avoid most

fruit. Raw veggies are good. Salads, but watch the dressing, use

lemon juice and Vit. E. You can break open a Vit. E capsule or two.

There are grains you can use, quinoa, amaranth, brown or black rice,

etc. Health food stores have alternatives. Get the book The Yeast Connection.

It is such a struggle. I do know that I totally disagree with Dr.

Weil on his opinion on this one.

Lynda

Guest guest

Hi PH,

Yes, I read that taking 12 cloves a day is considered the therapeutic

amount in one of my books on garlic. Therapeutic means at a level that

is supposed to work like a drug. I ate this often for several months

at a time. The only way I found to help not notice the smell is to

have those living with you eat it at the same time, which seems to

cancel it out. Otherwise, I know of no way to cut out the smell as it

comes through your pores. You just have to be careful about the timing

and going out in public. We tended to avoid garlic if we knew for sure

we were going out within the next 8 hours or so.

Here are the ways I found to eat raw garlic:

With hummus and pita bread (this was before I cut out foods with gluten)

Bite by bite with cooked chicken breasts (my favorite way, the Greek

way)

With cheese and bread (this seems to intensify the burn on the tongue,

though)

In winter I would crush cloves into a mug of warmed chicken broth.

Rolled into a piece of beef deli meat with cream cheese (or not)

Stuffed into an olive

Crushed into olive oil with also has been sprinkled with italian

seasoning, then dip bread into the olive oil and scooping up lots of

garlic. (you might have to chase it around a little to get it on your

bread!)

Crushed in Caesar's salad. My favorite recipe for this is in the

database under recipes, and our whole family loves this salad. We eat

it often. The dressing is a breeze to make, taking only about 5

minutes.

If I want to get down a bunch of garlic in a hurry, I chop it into bite

sized pieces and then quickly chomp on each piece once or twice with my

molars to quickly crush it first, and then I wash it down right away

with some juice or tea. I can get down a full day's quota of raw

garlic quicly this way. It's not like I savor the flavor though! This

is just totally to get it in me!

Pasta and garlic are also a great combination.

I did not ever suffer gastric burn with eating large amounts of

garlic. It just agrees with me. Some people do very poorly with

garlic, so you will have to test this out first and see how you do.

Patty

>

> Hi Patty,

>

> Thanks for the info on Gerson. I think I'm going to hold off and

> continue with colonics, ionic foot baths and diet. You mentioned

> somewhere that the recommended therapeutic dose for garlic is 12

> cloves a day? You mentioned you found creative ways to eat it. What

> were they? Did it burn your stomach? How many months did you do

it?

> I will try to avoid social engagements but know I can't avoid all. I

> defintely don't want to chew gum. Are there ways to get rid of the

> smell?

> I think I might have leaky gut and am not sure if my stomach can

> tolerate the garlic. Guess I'll just have to try and see. - PH

>

Guest guest

Patty,

Now there are some creative ways to eat garlic,

some I would never have thought of.

Lynda

At 03:59 PM 7/9/2007, you wrote:

>Hi PH,

>Yes, I read that taking 12 cloves a day is considered the therapeutic

>amount in one of my books on garlic. Therapeutic means at a level that

>is supposed to work like a drug. I ate this often for several months

>at a time. The only way I found to help not notice the smell is to

>have those living with you eat it at the same time, which seems to

>cancel it out. Otherwise, I know of no way to cut out the smell as it

>comes through your pores. You just have to be careful about the timing

>and going out in public. We tended to avoid garlic if we knew for sure

>we were going out within the next 8 hours or so.

>

>Here are the ways I found to eat raw garlic:

>

>With hummus and pita bread (this was before I cut out foods with gluten)

>

>Bite by bite with cooked chicken breasts (my favorite way, the Greek

>way)

>

>With cheese and bread (this seems to intensify the burn on the tongue,

>though)

>

>In winter I would crush cloves into a mug of warmed chicken broth.

>

>Rolled into a piece of beef deli meat with cream cheese (or not)

>

>Stuffed into an olive

>

>Crushed into olive oil with also has been sprinkled with italian

>seasoning, then dip bread into the olive oil and scooping up lots of

>garlic. (you might have to chase it around a little to get it on your

>bread!)

>

>Crushed in Caesar's salad. My favorite recipe for this is in the

>database under recipes, and our whole family loves this salad. We eat

>it often. The dressing is a breeze to make, taking only about 5

>minutes.

>

>If I want to get down a bunch of garlic in a hurry, I chop it into bite

>sized pieces and then quickly chomp on each piece once or twice with my

>molars to quickly crush it first, and then I wash it down right away

>with some juice or tea. I can get down a full day's quota of raw

>garlic quicly this way. It's not like I savor the flavor though! This

>is just totally to get it in me!

>

>Pasta and garlic are also a great combination.

>

>I did not ever suffer gastric burn with eating large amounts of

>garlic. It just agrees with me. Some people do very poorly with

>garlic, so you will have to test this out first and see how you do.

>Patty

>

>

> >

> > Hi Patty,

> >

> > Thanks for the info on Gerson. I think I'm going to hold off and

> > continue with colonics, ionic foot baths and diet. You mentioned

> > somewhere that the recommended therapeutic dose for garlic is 12

> > cloves a day? You mentioned you found creative ways to eat it. What

> > were they? Did it burn your stomach? How many months did you do

>it?

> > I will try to avoid social engagements but know I can't avoid all. I

> > defintely don't want to chew gum. Are there ways to get rid of the

> > smell?

> > I think I might have leaky gut and am not sure if my stomach can

> > tolerate the garlic. Guess I'll just have to try and see. - PH

> >

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks Patty for all the great ideas. If garlic is considered an

antibiotic and antifungal, do you think it's ok if I take it for a

month and then quit for 2 weeks when I go on vacation? I don't want

the bacteria/fungus to become resistant to it. Yet I don't want to

offend my husband's whole side of the family either when we're

visiting in close quarters. - PH

> >

> > Hi Patty,

> >

> > Thanks for the info on Gerson. I think I'm going to hold off

and

> > continue with colonics, ionic foot baths and diet. You

mentioned

> > somewhere that the recommended therapeutic dose for garlic is 12

> > cloves a day? You mentioned you found creative ways to eat it.

What

> > were they? Did it burn your stomach? How many months did you

do

> it?

> > I will try to avoid social engagements but know I can't avoid

all. I

> > defintely don't want to chew gum. Are there ways to get rid of

the

> > smell?

> > I think I might have leaky gut and am not sure if my stomach can

> > tolerate the garlic. Guess I'll just have to try and see. - PH

> >

>

Guest guest

PH,

The very cool thing about garlic is that no bacteria or fungus can

develop resistance to it. Never will. They just don't, so you can

take it for as long as you want or as little as you want, and

whenever you want.

Patty

> > >

> > > Hi Patty,

> > >

> > > Thanks for the info on Gerson. I think I'm going to hold off

> and

> > > continue with colonics, ionic foot baths and diet. You

> mentioned

> > > somewhere that the recommended therapeutic dose for garlic is

> > > cloves a day? You mentioned you found creative ways to eat

it.

> What

> > > were they? Did it burn your stomach? How many months did you

> do

> > it?

> > > I will try to avoid social engagements but know I can't avoid

> all. I

> > > defintely don't want to chew gum. Are there ways to get rid

of

> the

> > > smell?

> > > I think I might have leaky gut and am not sure if my stomach

can

> > > tolerate the garlic. Guess I'll just have to try and see. - PH

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Alan wrote:

> I'm concerned that the vomiting worsened

> my hiatal hernia.

Perhaps the hernia was the reason that you reacted as you did? My

mother has one of these and has to be very cautious about what she eats.

Hope you're snapping back!

--s, who takes liquid garlic capsules...

Guest guest

Are you sure it was the garlic? It could have been something was bad in the

food or maybe even a stomach virus. It does not sound like something a

couple cloves of garlic would produce. My ex had really bad candida and

Epstein Barr and he ate lots of garlic and nothing like that ever happened.

Just my 2 cents.

Allyn

_____

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Alan

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 1:11 PM

Subject: Garlic

Hi folks. Everyone recommends garlic as one of the healthiest foods

you can eat, and Mercola says we should consume several cloves a day.

I have some symptoms that I have long suspected of being

candida-related, so (on Tuesday) I decided to eat a couple of raw

cloves, since garlic is supposed to be very anti-fungal. BIG mistake.

I ate them on Tuesday with dinner, and that night I had violent,

painful vomiting. I was in bed the last 2 days with fatigue,

head/body aches (could have been caffeine withdrawal), joint aches,

very sensitive teeth.

What the heck happened?? I've actually eaten cloves before, just 1 at

a time, not 2. I've always loved garlic but I don't know if I can

ever eat it again!

Note that I took a Pepcid Complete before eating the garlic, I wonder

if that contributed to the problem? I have heartburn problems and I

was afraid the garlic would aggravate it.

I'm 90% better now, but my teeth are still very sensitive and I'm

getting a lot of heartburn. I'm concerned that the vomiting worsened

my hiatal hernia.

Thanks for listening...

Alan

Guest guest

I have no way of knowing it was the garlic. The garlic was pre-peeled

cloves from Whole Foods, perhaps they were tainted?

>

> Are you sure it was the garlic? It could have been something was

bad in the

> food or maybe even a stomach virus. It does not sound like something a

> couple cloves of garlic would produce. My ex had really bad candida and

> Epstein Barr and he ate lots of garlic and nothing like that ever

happened.

>

> Just my 2 cents.

>

> Allyn

>

Guest guest

Yes, anything that is like that could have mold or bacteria on it which

could give you the symptoms you are describing.

Allyn

_____

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Alan

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 1:48 PM

Subject: Re: Garlic

I have no way of knowing it was the garlic. The garlic was pre-peeled

cloves from Whole Foods, perhaps they were tainted?

>

> Are you sure it was the garlic? It could have been something was

bad in the

> food or maybe even a stomach virus. It does not sound like something a

> couple cloves of garlic would produce. My ex had really bad candida and

> Epstein Barr and he ate lots of garlic and nothing like that ever

happened.

>

> Just my 2 cents.

>

> Allyn

>

Guest guest

Pepcid blocks stomach acid production. A good thing for heartburn, but a

bad thing considering stomach acid is what prevents your intestines from

getting contaminated with microbes and other compounds which are supposed to

be digested/deactivated in the stomach. So if the garlic was less than

fresh - you could have gotten some bad bacteria along with it.

Also: The antifungal property of garlic actually comes from allicin, which

is developed when the garlic has been crushed. (

http://www.garlic-central.com/allicin-chemistry.html) " Stomach acid

destroys alliinase, preventing allicin production. " (

http://www.kyolic.com/html/faq/allicintransient.htm) So by lowering your

stomach acid with pepcid, you could have increased the allinase activity in

your stomach and intestines. If allinase should be destroyed by stomach

acid, than IMHO it doesn't belong in the intestines and I would expect some

form of adverse effects from it.

Did you crush the garlic in a press before eating? Or did you just chew up

the whole cloves? (If the latter, did you chew them as well as if you had

crushed them?)

What else did you eat at dinner? Anything else that could be broken down by

allinase?

If you do consider repeating the experiment, I'd suggest crushing the garlic

as well as possible before consuming it - to develop as much allicin as

possible before it reaches the stomach, reducing the amount of active

allinase in the intestines.

-Lana

Note that I took a Pepcid Complete before eating the garlic, I wonder

> if that contributed to the problem? I have heartburn problems and I

> was afraid the garlic would aggravate it.

>

> I'm 90% better now, but my teeth are still very sensitive and I'm

> getting a lot of heartburn. I'm concerned that the vomiting worsened

> my hiatal hernia.

>

> Thanks for listening...

> Alan

Guest guest

Lana, thanks for the response.

I ate some pepperoni pizza with the garlic.

I didn't crush the garlic before eating, I merely bit off a small

piece at a time, briefly chewed it (it really burned my mouth), and

swallowed it as fast as possible.

I had bought the garlic earlier that day. I didn't check the label to

see when it was produced, but it certainly looked/smelled OK.

I'm really wondering if the Pepcid is the culprit here. When

Pepcid/etc turns off acid production in the stomach, what actually

happens to the food in the stomach? Perhaps the intestines aren't

" designed " to deal with garlic?

>

> Pepcid blocks stomach acid production. A good thing for heartburn,

but a

> bad thing considering stomach acid is what prevents your intestines from

> getting contaminated with microbes and other compounds which are

supposed to

> be digested/deactivated in the stomach. So if the garlic was less than

> fresh - you could have gotten some bad bacteria along with it.

>

> Also: The antifungal property of garlic actually comes from allicin,

which

> is developed when the garlic has been crushed. (

> http://www.garlic-central.com/allicin-chemistry.html) " Stomach acid

> destroys alliinase, preventing allicin production. " (

> http://www.kyolic.com/html/faq/allicintransient.htm) So by lowering

your

> stomach acid with pepcid, you could have increased the allinase

activity in

> your stomach and intestines. If allinase should be destroyed by stomach

> acid, than IMHO it doesn't belong in the intestines and I would