RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Intro and Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jackie, There are also OCD thoughts. My son has certain thoughts (not necessarily good ones) that he just can't get out of his head. Some of them will leave if he talks about it but others......oh well.

Re: ( ) Intro and question

Well he's diagnosed "Obssessive Compulsive Associated with Aspergers! So I guess he is. LOL He doesn't HAVE to do the same thing over and over or repeat things three times or anything like that... but he has told me that he HAS to touch things... so I have put his hands in his pockets!I guess some of his "behaviors" could be OCD... like pulling the skin off of his feet and picking his nose constantly????JackieOn Jul 31, 2007, at 6:28 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

Sam is a licker/chewer. She loves straws that are folded in 1/2.Is he OCD?Robin <hunebear3@...> wrote:

doesn't chew his OWN clothing too much anymore... He just chewseverything else in sight.. couch, metal, plastic, wood, my hot gluesticks.. you name he chews on it. It's gotten so bad lately that I have been trying to find things to put in his special box that he canchew on... besides gum. Got any suggestions???JackieOn Jul 31, 2007, at 1:52 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:> All of Ian's shirts have the "chew look" right under his chin. No> matter what he's doing,,,,the collar of his t-shirt is in his mouth. > It's so stretched out that even when I was them,,,,,they come out> still "crinkled" from where it was chewed. > AHHHHHHHHHH.......I love it.> Robin> wrote:>> What do you mean HALF INSANE??? I think I am as far insane as I can>> get!!! If chews on another pc of furniture or the door jam>> today it will send me over the edge!!!! It's like I have a new puppy>> to break of bad habits!!! He does have a chew necklace he is SUPPOSED>> to wear... but he keeps losing it!! URGGHHHHH!!>>>> LOL>> Jackie>> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:23 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Why, thank you, Jackie......hee hee.>> > It's amazing how smart we get when we run around for years, half>> > insane trying to keep our lives together, huh?>> > Ha!!!!>> > Robin>> >>> > wrote:>> >> Robin.. great job with the explanation! Couldn't have done it >> better>> >> myself!! LOL>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:07 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > Hi Beth.>> >> > First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may give>> you>> >> > some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like>> >> > pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a>> >> > phychologist.>> >> > The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who will>> dx, if>> >> > there is something to dx.>> >> > Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If >> there is>> >> > also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something else)>> >> > involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to decide>> if>> >> you>> >> > will put him on meds.>> >> > Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes>> they>> >> > don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you.>> >> > BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have gone>> >> > through this same thing and ......made it.>> >> > **>> >> > Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at school. >> Some>> >> > schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will>> give>> >> > you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that>> will>> >> > make it easier on him while at school.>> >> > A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things>> he>> >> > does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son>> is>> >> > terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form>> of>> >> > autism that affects him socially may not change your life at>> >> > all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and>> >> hope>> >> > that they can deal better with you and your son once they know.>> >> > It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the>> >> > thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. >> The>> >> > more people know about the crap that these kids and families are>> >> going>> >> > through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. >> >> > ***>> >> > Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING>> >> little>> >> > social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are>> in>> >> > social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. >> >> > But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. >> YOu>> >> can>> >> > work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have>> to>> >> (or>> >> > have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. >> The>> >> > best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that>> we>> >> > don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit>> >> > better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a social>> >> > butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if >> he>> >> is>> >> > to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because>> she>> >> > is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and>> >> understand>> >> > that though all married people do have to change>> at times,,,,,,,that>> >> > Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest>> parts of>> >> > him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is>> >> > amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just>> writing>> >> all>> >> > this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and>> >> we've>> >> > done a lot of "learning".>> >> > So,,,,,,, >> >> > Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart>> gals>> >> in>> >> > this group.>> >> > Good luck!!!>> >> > Robin>> >> >>> >> > Beth Manautou wrote:>> >> >> Hi,>> >> >>>> >> >> I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the>> >> >> symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of >> books on>> >> >> them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to>> >> draw>> >> >> them too. I knew something was not right though when this past>> >> year we>> >> >> were at a social function with other boys and they were all in a>> >> group>> >> >> and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent>> >> over>> >> >> drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what was>> going>> >> on.>> >> >> Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws>> >> what>> >> >> he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time>> with>> >> >> extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have more>> of>> >> an>> >> >> understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too.>> >> Where>> >> >> do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him tested?>> How>> >> do>> >> >> they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What>> do>> >> you>> >> >> use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely>> >> >> sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see that I>> >> need>> >> >> to help him in this area but how?>> >> >>>> >> >> Thank you,>> >> >> Beth>> >> >>>> >> >>> >> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not>> web>> >> > links.>> > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on>> > TV.> Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!> Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at > Games.Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Games.

Guest guest

Our lists never end, do they? Hee hee......sob. <hunebear3@...> wrote: It's on my list of stuff to talk about!!! It's one of the "freakish" things he does at school that the other kids talk about or are grossed out by... so I want to see if there is somthing that I can do to help correct it.JackieOn Aug 1, 2007, at 7:39 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:> And the compulsion to chew and bite things. Not to sound like a > freakish doctor "know it all",,,,,but compulsions are HAVE TO DO > things. Sounds to me like he has these compulsions. I don't know > what,,,,,but I'm sure they have diff meds to help. Maybe some other > meds our kids may take actually make it worse? > That's a question

for the other "docs" in this group? Hee hee.> Anyway,,,,,,> Maybe chat with the doc next appt?> Robin>> wrote:>> Well he's diagnosed "Obssessive Compulsive Associated with Aspergers!>> So I guess he is. LOL He doesn't HAVE to do the same thing over and>> over or repeat things three times or anything like that... but he has>> told me that he HAS to touch things... so I have put his hands in his>> pockets!>>>> I guess some of his "behaviors" could be OCD... like pulling the skin>> off of his feet and picking his nose constantly????>>>> Jackie>> On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:28 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Sam is a licker/chewer. She loves straws that are folded in 1/2.>> > Is he OCD?>> > Robin>> >>> >

wrote:>> >> doesn't chew his OWN clothing too much anymore... He just>> >> chews>> >> everything else in sight.. couch, metal, plastic, wood, my hot glue>> >> sticks.. you name he chews on it. It's gotten so bad lately that I>> >> have been trying to find things to put in his special box that he >> can>> >> chew on... besides gum. Got any suggestions???>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:52 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > All of Ian's shirts have the "chew look" right under his chin. >> No>> >> > matter what he's doing,,,,the collar of his t-shirt is in his>> >> mouth. >> >> > It's so stretched out that even when I was them,,,,,they come out>> >>

> still "crinkled" from where it was chewed. >> >> > AHHHHHHHHHH.......I love it.>> >> > Robin>> >> > wrote:>> >> >> What do you mean HALF INSANE??? I think I am as far insane as I >> can>> >> >> get!!! If chews on another pc of furniture or the door >> jam>> >> >> today it will send me over the edge!!!! It's like I have a new>> >> puppy>> >> >> to break of bad habits!!! He does have a chew necklace he is>> >> SUPPOSED>> >> >> to wear... but he keeps losing it!! URGGHHHHH!!>> >> >>>> >> >> LOL>> >> >> Jackie>> >> >> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:23 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >> >>>> >> >> >

Why, thank you, Jackie......hee hee.>> >> >> > It's amazing how smart we get when we run around for years, >> half>> >> >> > insane trying to keep our lives together, huh?>> >> >> > Ha!!!!>> >> >> > Robin>> >> >> >>> >> >> > wrote:>> >> >> >> Robin.. great job with the explanation! Couldn't have done it>> >> >> better>> >> >> >> myself!! LOL>> >> >> >>>> >> >> >> Jackie>> >> >> >> On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:07 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >> >> >>>> >> >> >> > Hi Beth.>> >> >> >> > First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may

>> give>> >> >> you>> >> >> >> > some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like>> >> >> >> > pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you >> to>> >> a>> >> >> >> > phychologist.>> >> >> >> > The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who >> will>> >> >> dx, if>> >> >> >> > there is something to dx.>> >> >> >> > Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If>> >> >> there is>> >> >> >> > also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something >> else)>> >> >> >> > involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to>> >>

decide>> >> >> if>> >> >> >> you>> >> >> >> > will put him on meds.>> >> >> >> > Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. >> Sometimes>> >> >> they>> >> >> >> > don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you.>> >> >> >> > BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have>> >> gone>> >> >> >> > through this same thing and ......made it.>> >> >> >> > **>> >> >> >> > Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at >> school. >> >> >> Some>> >> >> >> > schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx >> will>> >>

>> give>> >> >> >> > you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son >> that>> >> >> will>> >> >> >> > make it easier on him while at school.>> >> >> >> > A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the>> >> things>> >> >> he>> >> >> >> > does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your>> >> son>> >> >> is>> >> >> >> > terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a>> >> form>> >> >> of>> >> >> >> > autism that affects him socially may not change your life >> at>> >> >> >> > all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about

>> it>> >> and>> >> >> >> hope>> >> >> >> > that they can deal better with you and your son once they>> >> know.>> >> >> >> > It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the>> >> >> >> > thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum>> >> disorder. >> >> >> The>> >> >> >> > more people know about the crap that these kids and >> families>> >> are>> >> >> >> going>> >> >> >> > through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them >> better. >> >> >> >> > ***>> >> >> >> > Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. >>

HAVING>> >> >> >> little>> >> >> >> > social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some>> >> are>> >> >> in>> >> >> >> > social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social >> stories. >> >> >> >> > But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to >> them. >> >> >> YOu>> >> >> >> can>> >> >> >> > work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all>> >> have>> >> >> to>> >> >> >> (or>> >> >> >> > have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom>> >> line. >> >> >> The>> >> >> >> > best

thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not>> >> that>> >> >> we>> >> >> >> > don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit>> >> >> >> > better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a >> social>> >> >> >> > butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a >> loner........that>> >> if>> >> >> he>> >> >> >> is>> >> >> >> > to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint>> >> because>> >> >> she>> >> >> >> > is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and>> >> >> >> understand>> >> >> >> > that though all married people do have to change>>

>> >> at times,,,,,,,that>> >> >> >> > Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest>> >> >> parts of>> >> >> >> > him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me >> wrong,,,,Ian>> >> is>> >> >> >> > amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just>> >> >> writing>> >> >> >> all>> >> >> >> > this because this past year has been the>> >> roughest yet,,,,,,and>> >> >> >> we've>> >> >> >> > done a lot of "learning".>> >> >> >> > So,,,,,,, >> >> >> >> > Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of >>

smart>> >> >> gals>> >> >> >> in>> >> >> >> > this group.>> >> >> >> > Good luck!!!>> >> >> >> > Robin>> >> >> >> >>> >> >> >> > Beth Manautou wrote:>> >> >> >> >> Hi,>> >> >> >> >>>> >> >> >> >> I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the>> >> >> >> >> symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of>> >> >> books on>> >> >> >> >> them. He has read every book in the library on them and>> >> loves to>> >> >> >> draw>> >> >> >> >> them too. I knew something was not right though when

this>> >> past>> >> >> >> year we>> >> >> >> >> were at a social function with other boys and they were >> all>> >> in a>> >> >> >> group>> >> >> >> >> and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He >> was>> >> bent>> >> >> >> over>> >> >> >> >> drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what >> was>> >> >> going>> >> >> >> on.>> >> >> >> >> Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He>> >> draws>> >> >> >> what>> >> >> >> >> he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of >> time>> >>

>> with>> >> >> >> >> extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have>> >> more>> >> >> of>> >> >> >> an>> >> >> >> >> understanding of his world but at the same time I am >> scared>> >> too.>> >> >> >> Where>> >> >> >> >> do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him>> >> tested?>> >> >> How>> >> >> >> do>> >> >> >> >> they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis?>> >> What>> >> >> do>> >> >> >> you>> >> >> >> >> use to help develop better social skills? My son is >> extremely>> >> >>

>> >> sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see>> >> that I>> >> >> >> need>> >> >> >> >> to help him in this area but how?>> >> >> >> >>>> >> >> >> >> Thank you,>> >> >> >> >> Beth>> >> >> >> >>>> >> >> >> >>> >> >> >> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives >> answers,>> >> not>> >> >> web>> >> >> >> > links.>> >> >> > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top >> picks on>> >> >> > TV.>> >> > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!>> >> > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's

updated for today's economy) at>> >> > Games.>> > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!>> > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at>> > Games.> oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web > links.

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Guest guest

You sure got that one right!

Jackie

On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:08 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

> Our lists never end, do they?

> Hee hee......sob.

>

> <hunebear3@...> wrote:

>> It's on my list of stuff to talk about!!! It's one of the " freakish "

>> things he does at school that the other kids talk about or are grossed

>> out by... so I want to see if there is somthing that I can do to help

>> correct it.

>>

>> Jackie

>> On Aug 1, 2007, at 7:39 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>>

>> > And the compulsion to chew and bite things.  Not to sound like a

>> > freakish doctor " know it all " ,,,,,but compulsions are HAVE TO DO

>> > things.   Sounds to me like he has these compulsions.  I don't know

>> > what,,,,,but I'm sure they have diff meds to help.  Maybe some other

>> > meds our kids may take actually make it worse? 

>> > That's a question for the other " docs " in this group?  Hee hee.

>> > Anyway,,,,,,

>> > Maybe chat with the doc next appt?

>> > Robin

>> >

>> > wrote:

>> >> Well he's diagnosed " Obssessive Compulsive Associated with

>> Aspergers!

>> >> So I guess he is. LOL He doesn't HAVE to do the same thing over and

>> >> over or repeat things three times or anything like that... but he

>> has

>> >> told me that he HAS to touch things... so I have put his hands in

>> his

>> >> pockets!

>> >>

>> >> I guess some of his " behaviors " could be OCD... like pulling the

>> skin

>> >> off of his feet and picking his nose constantly????

>> >>

>> >> Jackie

>> >> On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:28 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >>

>> >> > Sam is a licker/chewer.  She loves straws that are folded in 1/2.

>> >> > Is he OCD?

>> >> > Robin

>> >> >

>> >> > wrote:

>> >> >> doesn't chew his OWN clothing too much anymore... He

>> just

>> >> >> chews

>> >> >> everything else in sight.. couch, metal, plastic, wood, my hot

>> glue

>> >> >> sticks.. you name he chews on it. It's gotten so bad lately

>> that I

>> >> >> have been trying to find things to put in his special box that

>> he

>> >> can

>> >> >> chew on... besides gum. Got any suggestions???

>> >> >>

>> >> >> Jackie

>> >> >> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:52 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >> >>

>> >> >> > All of Ian's shirts have the " chew look " right under his

>> chin. 

>> >> No

>> >> >> > matter what he's doing,,,,the collar of his t-shirt is in his

>> >> >> mouth. 

>> >> >> > It's so stretched out that even when I was them,,,,,they come

>> out

>> >> >> > still " crinkled " from where it was chewed. 

>> >> >> > AHHHHHHHHHH.......I love it.

>> >> >> > Robin

>> >> >> > wrote:

>> >> >> >> What do you mean HALF INSANE??? I think I am as far insane

>> as I

>> >> can

>> >> >> >> get!!! If chews on another pc of furniture or the

>> door

>> >> jam

>> >> >> >> today it will send me over the edge!!!! It's like I have a

>> new

>> >> >> puppy

>> >> >> >> to break of bad habits!!! He does have a chew necklace he is

>> >> >> SUPPOSED

>> >> >> >> to wear... but he keeps losing it!! URGGHHHHH!!

>> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> LOL

>> >> >> >> Jackie

>> >> >> >> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:23 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> > Why, thank you, Jackie......hee hee.

>> >> >> >> > It's amazing how smart we get when we run around for years,

>> >> half

>> >> >> >> > insane trying to keep our lives together, huh?

>> >> >> >> > Ha!!!!

>> >> >> >> > Robin

>> >> >> >> >

>> >> >> >> > wrote:

>> >> >> >> >> Robin.. great job with the explanation! Couldn't have

>> done it

>> >> >> >> better

>> >> >> >> >> myself!! LOL

>> >> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> >> Jackie

>> >> >> >> >> On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:07 PM, and/or Robin Lemke

>> wrote:

>> >> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> >> > Hi Beth.

>> >> >> >> >> > First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician.  They

>> may

>> >> give

>> >> >> >> you

>> >> >> >> >> > some questionnaires to fill out................kind of

>> like

>> >> >> >> >> > pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer

>> you

>> >> to

>> >> >> a

>> >> >> >> >> > phychologist.

>> >> >> >> >> > The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who

>> >> will

>> >> >> >> dx, if

>> >> >> >> >> > there is something to dx.

>> >> >> >> >> > Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to

>> take.  If

>> >> >> >> there is

>> >> >> >> >> > also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something

>> >> else)

>> >> >> >> >> > involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to

>> >> >> decide

>> >> >> >> if

>> >> >> >> >> you

>> >> >> >> >> > will put him on meds.

>> >> >> >> >> > Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. 

>> >> Sometimes

>> >> >> >> they

>> >> >> >> >> > don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and

>> you.

>> >> >> >> >> > BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands

>> have

>> >> >> gone

>> >> >> >> >> > through this same thing and ......made it.

>> >> >> >> >> > **

>> >> >> >> >> > Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at

>> >> school. 

>> >> >> >> Some

>> >> >> >> >> > schools are good - some not so good.  But,,,,,having a

>> dx

>> >> will

>> >> >> >> give

>> >> >> >> >> > you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your

>> son

>> >> that

>> >> >> >> will

>> >> >> >> >> > make it easier on him while at school.

>> >> >> >> >> > A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the

>> >> >> things

>> >> >> >> he

>> >> >> >> >> > does.  It at times can shut someone us who just thinks

>> your

>> >> >> son

>> >> >> >> is

>> >> >> >> >> > terrible and you are a bad mom.  Saying that your son

>> has a

>> >> >> form

>> >> >> >> of

>> >> >> >> >> > autism that affects him socially may not change your

>> life

>> >> at

>> >> >> >> >> > all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know

>> about

>> >> it

>> >> >> and

>> >> >> >> >> hope

>> >> >> >> >> > that they can deal better with you and your son once

>> they

>> >> >> know.

>> >> >> >> >> > It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the

>> >> >> >> >> > thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum

>> >> >> disorder. 

>> >> >> >> The

>> >> >> >> >> > more people know about the crap that these kids and

>> >> families

>> >> >> are

>> >> >> >> >> going

>> >> >> >> >> > through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them

>> >> better. 

>> >> >> >> >> > ***

>> >> >> >> >> > Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. 

>> >> HAVING

>> >> >> >> >> little

>> >> >> >> >> > social " awareness " is classic.  Some see a therapist. 

>> Some

>> >> >> are

>> >> >> >> in

>> >> >> >> >> > social skills groups.  Some use " modeling " or social

>> >> stories. 

>> >> >> >> >> > But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to

>> >> them. 

>> >> >> >> YOu

>> >> >> >> >> can

>> >> >> >> >> > work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we

>> all

>> >> >> have

>> >> >> >> to

>> >> >> >> >> (or

>> >> >> >> >> > have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. 

>> Bottom

>> >> >> line. 

>> >> >> >> The

>> >> >> >> >> > best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. 

>> Not

>> >> >> that

>> >> >> >> we

>> >> >> >> >> > don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit

>> >> >> >> >> > better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a

>> >> social

>> >> >> >> >> > butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a

>> >> loner........that

>> >> >> if

>> >> >> >> he

>> >> >> >> >> is

>> >> >> >> >> > to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint

>> >> >> because

>> >> >> >> she

>> >> >> >> >> > is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES

>> and

>> >> >> >> >> understand

>> >> >> >> >> > that though all married people do have to change

>> >> >> >> at times,,,,,,,that

>> >> >> >> >> > Ian is not going to be able to change probably that

>> hardest

>> >> >> >> parts of

>> >> >> >> >> > him that she'll have to deal with.  Don't get me

>> >> wrong,,,,Ian

>> >> >> is

>> >> >> >> >> > amazing!!  He's an incredible funny, cute guy.  I was

>> just

>> >> >> >> writing

>> >> >> >> >> all

>> >> >> >> >> > this because  this past year has been the

>> >> >> roughest yet,,,,,,and

>> >> >> >> >> we've

>> >> >> >> >> > done a lot of " learning " .

>> >> >> >> >> > So,,,,,,, 

>> >> >> >> >> > Feel free to ask questions any time.  There are a lot of

>> >> smart

>> >> >> >> gals

>> >> >> >> >> in

>> >> >> >> >> > this group.

>> >> >> >> >> > Good luck!!!

>> >> >> >> >> > Robin

>> >> >> >> >> >

>> >> >> >> >> > Beth Manautou wrote:

>> >> >> >> >> >> Hi,

>> >> >> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> >> >> I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of

>> the

>> >> >> >> >> >> symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected

>> lots of

>> >> >> >> books on

>> >> >> >> >> >> them. He has read every book in the library on them and

>> >> >> loves to

>> >> >> >> >> draw

>> >> >> >> >> >> them too. I knew something was not right though when

>> this

>> >> >> past

>> >> >> >> >> year we

>> >> >> >> >> >> were at a social function with other boys and they were

>> >> all

>> >> >> in a

>> >> >> >> >> group

>> >> >> >> >> >> and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He

>> >> was

>> >> >> bent

>> >> >> >> >> over

>> >> >> >> >> >> drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what

>> >> was

>> >> >> >> going

>> >> >> >> >> on.

>> >> >> >> >> >> Most of the time it seems like he is in another world.

>> He

>> >> >> draws

>> >> >> >> >> what

>> >> >> >> >> >> he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of

>> >> time

>> >> >> >> with

>> >> >> >> >> >> extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now

>> have

>> >> >> more

>> >> >> >> of

>> >> >> >> >> an

>> >> >> >> >> >> understanding of his world but at the same time I am

>> >> scared

>> >> >> too.

>> >> >> >> >> Where

>> >> >> >> >> >> do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him

>> >> >> tested?

>> >> >> >> How

>> >> >> >> >> do

>> >> >> >> >> >> they test? What are the positives of getting a

>> diagnosis?

>> >> >> What

>> >> >> >> do

>> >> >> >> >> you

>> >> >> >> >> >> use to help develop better social skills? My son is

>> >> extremely

>> >> >> >> >> >> sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I

>> see

>> >> >> that I

>> >> >> >> >> need

>> >> >> >> >> >> to help him in this area but how?

>> >> >> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> >> >> Thank you,

>> >> >> >> >> >> Beth

>> >> >> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> >> >

>> >> >> >> >> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives

>> >> answers,

>> >> >> not

>> >> >> >> web

>> >> >> >> >> > links.

>> >> >> >> > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top

>> >> picks on

>> >> >> >> > TV.

>> >> >> > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

>> >> >> > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy)

>> at

>> >> >> > Games.

>> >> > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

>> >> > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at

>> >> > Games.

>> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web

>> > links.

> Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

>

Guest guest

Our problem right now is our dog eats everything, so DS thinks its funny to imitate the dog. Ugh...at least he's only chewing and not swallowing and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: Ohhhh.....that's good, Dee. Jack had Pica. He ate dirt,,,,,rocks,,,,,,,sand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all that crap. Told the ped when he was about 2-3??? They did an iron test and sure enough. He had to take iron for a bit,,,,,,and that seemed to "solve it". RobinDee DiMemmo <craftychick70 > wrote: have you had any blood work done? it sounds like classic pica. If his iron levels are low, an iron fortified supplement will help-but it takes months to build up iron levels in the blood. plus there is a cause for the anemia <hunebear3comcast (DOT) net> wrote: doesn't chew his OWN clothing too much anymore... He just chews everything else in sight.. couch, metal, plastic, wood, my hot glue sticks.. you name he chews on it. It's gotten so bad lately that I have been trying to find things to put in his special box that he can chew on... besides gum. Got any suggestions???JackieOn Jul 31, 2007, at 1:52 PM, and/or

Robin Lemke wrote:> All of Ian's shirts have the "chew look" right under his chin. No > matter what he's doing,,,,the collar of his t-shirt is in his mouth. > It's so stretched out that even when I was them,,,,,they come out > still "crinkled" from where it was chewed. > AHHHHHHHHHH.......I love it.> Robin> wrote:>> What do you mean HALF INSANE??? I think I am as far insane as I can>> get!!! If chews on another pc of furniture or the door jam>> today it will send me over the edge!!!! It's like I have a new puppy>> to break of bad habits!!! He does have a chew necklace he is SUPPOSED>> to wear... but he keeps losing it!! URGGHHHHH!!>>>> LOL>> Jackie>> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:23 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Why, thank you, Jackie......hee

hee.>> > It's amazing how smart we get when we run around for years, half>> > insane trying to keep our lives together, huh?>> > Ha!!!!>> > Robin>> >>> > wrote:>> >> Robin.. great job with the explanation! Couldn't have done it >> better>> >> myself!! LOL>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:07 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > Hi Beth.>> >> > First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may give >> you>> >> > some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like>> >> > pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a>> >> > phychologist.>> >> > The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the

one who will >> dx, if>> >> > there is something to dx.>> >> > Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If >> there is>> >> > also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something else)>> >> > involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to decide >> if>> >> you>> >> > will put him on meds.>> >> > Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes >> they>> >> > don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you.>> >> > BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have gone>> >> > through this same thing and ......made it.>> >> > **>> >> > Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at school. >> Some>>

>> > schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will >> give>> >> > you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that >> will>> >> > make it easier on him while at school.>> >> > A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things >> he>> >> > does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son >> is>> >> > terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form >> of>> >> > autism that affects him socially may not change your life at>> >> > all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and>> >> hope>> >> > that they can deal better with you and your son once they know.>> >> > It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and

the>> >> > thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. >> The>> >> > more people know about the crap that these kids and families are>> >> going>> >> > through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. >> >> > ***>> >> > Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING>> >> little>> >> > social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are >> in>> >> > social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. >> >> > But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. >> YOu>> >> can>> >> > work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have >> to>> >> (or>>

>> > have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. >> The>> >> > best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that >> we>> >> > don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit>> >> > better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a social>> >> > butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if >> he>> >> is>> >> > to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because >> she>> >> > is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and>> >> understand>> >> > that though all married people do have to change >> at times,,,,,,,that>> >> > Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest >> parts

of>> >> > him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is>> >> > amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just >> writing>> >> all>> >> > this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and>> >> we've>> >> > done a lot of "learning".>> >> > So,,,,,,, >> >> > Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart >> gals>> >> in>> >> > this group.>> >> > Good luck!!!>> >> > Robin>> >> >>> >> > Beth Manautou wrote:>> >> >> Hi,>> >> >>>> >> >> I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the>> >> >> symptoms. My

son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of >> books on>> >> >> them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to>> >> draw>> >> >> them too. I knew something was not right though when this past>> >> year we>> >> >> were at a social function with other boys and they were all in a>> >> group>> >> >> and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent>> >> over>> >> >> drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what was >> going>> >> on.>> >> >> Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws>> >> what>> >> >> he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time >> with>> >> >> extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to

see that I now have more >> of>> >> an>> >> >> understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too.>> >> Where>> >> >> do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him tested? >> How>> >> do>> >> >> they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What >> do>> >> you>> >> >> use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely>> >> >> sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see that I>> >> need>> >> >> to help him in this area but how?>> >> >>>> >> >> Thank you,>> >> >> Beth>> >> >>>> >> >>> >> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not

>> web>> >> > links.>> > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on>> > TV.> Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!> Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at > Games. Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase. Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

Ha ha. In all honesty, though,,,,,,,,the way people food is nowadays,,,,,,we'd all probably be healthier eating dog food.......Ha ha.RobinDee DiMemmo <craftychick70@...> wrote: Our problem right now is our dog eats everything, so DS thinks its funny to imitate the dog. Ugh...at least he's only chewing and not swallowing and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Ohhhh.....that's good, Dee. Jack had Pica. He ate dirt,,,,,rocks,,,,,,,sand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all that crap. Told the ped when he was about 2-3??? They did an iron test and sure enough. He had to take iron for a bit,,,,,,and that seemed to "solve it". RobinDee DiMemmo <craftychick70 > wrote: have you had any blood work done? it sounds like classic pica. If his iron levels are low, an iron fortified supplement will help-but it takes months to build up iron levels in the blood. plus there is a cause for the anemia <hunebear3comcast (DOT) net> wrote: doesn't chew his OWN clothing too much

anymore... He just chews everything else in sight.. couch, metal, plastic, wood, my hot glue sticks.. you name he chews on it. It's gotten so bad lately that I have been trying to find things to put in his special box that he can chew on... besides gum. Got any suggestions???JackieOn Jul 31, 2007, at 1:52 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:> All of Ian's shirts have the "chew look" right under his chin. No > matter what he's doing,,,,the collar of his t-shirt is in his mouth. > It's so stretched out that even when I was them,,,,,they come out > still "crinkled" from where it was chewed. > AHHHHHHHHHH.......I love it.> Robin> wrote:>> What do you mean HALF INSANE??? I think I am as far insane as I can>> get!!! If chews on another pc of furniture or the door jam>> today it will send me over the edge!!!!

It's like I have a new puppy>> to break of bad habits!!! He does have a chew necklace he is SUPPOSED>> to wear... but he keeps losing it!! URGGHHHHH!!>>>> LOL>> Jackie>> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:23 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Why, thank you, Jackie......hee hee.>> > It's amazing how smart we get when we run around for years, half>> > insane trying to keep our lives together, huh?>> > Ha!!!!>> > Robin>> >>> > wrote:>> >> Robin.. great job with the explanation! Couldn't have done it >> better>> >> myself!! LOL>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:07 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > Hi Beth.>> >> > First, I'd make an appt

with your pediatrician. They may give >> you>> >> > some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like>> >> > pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a>> >> > phychologist.>> >> > The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who will >> dx, if>> >> > there is something to dx.>> >> > Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If >> there is>> >> > also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something else)>> >> > involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to decide >> if>> >> you>> >> > will put him on meds.>> >> > Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes >> they>> >> > don't and this

will start a LONG ride for your son and you.>> >> > BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have gone>> >> > through this same thing and ......made it.>> >> > **>> >> > Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at school. >> Some>> >> > schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will >> give>> >> > you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that >> will>> >> > make it easier on him while at school.>> >> > A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things >> he>> >> > does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son >> is>> >> > terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form >> of>> >> >

autism that affects him socially may not change your life at>> >> > all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and>> >> hope>> >> > that they can deal better with you and your son once they know.>> >> > It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the>> >> > thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. >> The>> >> > more people know about the crap that these kids and families are>> >> going>> >> > through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. >> >> > ***>> >> > Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING>> >> little>> >> > social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are >> in>> >>

> social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. >> >> > But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. >> YOu>> >> can>> >> > work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have >> to>> >> (or>> >> > have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. >> The>> >> > best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that >> we>> >> > don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit>> >> > better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a social>> >> > butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if >> he>> >> is>> >> > to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because

>> she>> >> > is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and>> >> understand>> >> > that though all married people do have to change >> at times,,,,,,,that>> >> > Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest >> parts of>> >> > him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is>> >> > amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just >> writing>> >> all>> >> > this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and>> >> we've>> >> > done a lot of "learning".>> >> > So,,,,,,, >> >> > Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart >> gals>> >> in>> >>

> this group.>> >> > Good luck!!!>> >> > Robin>> >> >>> >> > Beth Manautou wrote:>> >> >> Hi,>> >> >>>> >> >> I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the>> >> >> symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of >> books on>> >> >> them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to>> >> draw>> >> >> them too. I knew something was not right though when this past>> >> year we>> >> >> were at a social function with other boys and they were all in a>> >> group>> >> >> and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent>> >> over>> >> >> drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was

oblivious to what was >> going>> >> on.>> >> >> Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws>> >> what>> >> >> he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time >> with>> >> >> extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have more >> of>> >> an>> >> >> understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too.>> >> Where>> >> >> do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him tested? >> How>> >> do>> >> >> they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What >> do>> >> you>> >> >> use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely>> >> >> sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social

cues. I see that I>> >> need>> >> >> to help him in this area but how?>> >> >>>> >> >> Thank you,>> >> >> Beth>> >> >>>> >> >>> >> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not >> web>> >> > links.>> > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on>> > TV.> Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!> Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at > Games. Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase. Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center. Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Guest guest

My son heard in a study that dog food is actually healthier than fast food. (I'm not really suprised!) But now he says we should all eat dog food. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: Ha ha. In all honesty, though,,,,,,,,the way people food is nowadays,,,,,,we'd all probably be healthier eating dog food.......Ha ha.RobinDee DiMemmo <craftychick70 > wrote: Our problem right now is our dog eats everything, so DS thinks its funny to imitate the dog. Ugh...at least he's only chewing and not swallowing and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Ohhhh.....that's good, Dee. Jack had Pica. He ate dirt,,,,,rocks,,,,,,,sand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all that crap. Told the ped when he was about 2-3??? They did an iron test and sure enough. He had to take iron for a bit,,,,,,and that seemed to "solve it". RobinDee DiMemmo <craftychick70 > wrote: have you had any blood work done? it sounds like classic pica.

If his iron levels are low, an iron fortified supplement will help-but it takes months to build up iron levels in the blood. plus there is a cause for the anemia <hunebear3comcast (DOT) net> wrote: doesn't chew his OWN clothing too much anymore... He just chews everything else in sight.. couch, metal, plastic, wood, my hot glue sticks.. you name he chews on it. It's gotten so bad lately that I have been trying to find things to put in his special box that he can chew on... besides gum. Got any suggestions???JackieOn Jul 31, 2007, at 1:52 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:> All of Ian's shirts have the "chew look" right under his chin. No > matter what he's doing,,,,the collar of his t-shirt is in his mouth. > It's so stretched out that even when I was them,,,,,they come out > still

"crinkled" from where it was chewed. > AHHHHHHHHHH.......I love it.> Robin> wrote:>> What do you mean HALF INSANE??? I think I am as far insane as I can>> get!!! If chews on another pc of furniture or the door jam>> today it will send me over the edge!!!! It's like I have a new puppy>> to break of bad habits!!! He does have a chew necklace he is SUPPOSED>> to wear... but he keeps losing it!! URGGHHHHH!!>>>> LOL>> Jackie>> On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:23 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Why, thank you, Jackie......hee hee.>> > It's amazing how smart we get when we run around for years, half>> > insane trying to keep our lives together, huh?>> > Ha!!!!>> > Robin>> >>> > wrote:>> >>

Robin.. great job with the explanation! Couldn't have done it >> better>> >> myself!! LOL>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:07 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > Hi Beth.>> >> > First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may give >> you>> >> > some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like>> >> > pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a>> >> > phychologist.>> >> > The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who will >> dx, if>> >> > there is something to dx.>> >> > Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If >> there is>> >> > also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something

else)>> >> > involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to decide >> if>> >> you>> >> > will put him on meds.>> >> > Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes >> they>> >> > don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you.>> >> > BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have gone>> >> > through this same thing and ......made it.>> >> > **>> >> > Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at school. >> Some>> >> > schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will >> give>> >> > you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that >> will>> >> > make it easier on him while at

school.>> >> > A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things >> he>> >> > does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son >> is>> >> > terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form >> of>> >> > autism that affects him socially may not change your life at>> >> > all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and>> >> hope>> >> > that they can deal better with you and your son once they know.>> >> > It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the>> >> > thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. >> The>> >> > more people know about the crap that these kids and families are>> >> going>> >> >

through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. >> >> > ***>> >> > Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING>> >> little>> >> > social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are >> in>> >> > social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. >> >> > But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. >> YOu>> >> can>> >> > work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have >> to>> >> (or>> >> > have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. >> The>> >> > best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that >> we>> >> > don't want to integrate

him and help him be able to fit>> >> > better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a social>> >> > butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if >> he>> >> is>> >> > to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because >> she>> >> > is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and>> >> understand>> >> > that though all married people do have to change >> at times,,,,,,,that>> >> > Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest >> parts of>> >> > him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is>> >> > amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just >> writing>> >> all>>

>> > this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and>> >> we've>> >> > done a lot of "learning".>> >> > So,,,,,,, >> >> > Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart >> gals>> >> in>> >> > this group.>> >> > Good luck!!!>> >> > Robin>> >> >>> >> > Beth Manautou wrote:>> >> >> Hi,>> >> >>>> >> >> I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the>> >> >> symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of >> books on>> >> >> them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to>> >> draw>> >> >> them too. I knew something was not right

though when this past>> >> year we>> >> >> were at a social function with other boys and they were all in a>> >> group>> >> >> and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent>> >> over>> >> >> drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what was >> going>> >> on.>> >> >> Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws>> >> what>> >> >> he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time >> with>> >> >> extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have more >> of>> >> an>> >> >> understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too.>> >> Where>> >> >> do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I

have him tested? >> How>> >> do>> >> >> they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What >> do>> >> you>> >> >> use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely>> >> >> sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see that I>> >> need>> >> >> to help him in this area but how?>> >> >>>> >> >> Thank you,>> >> >> Beth>> >> >>>> >> >>> >> > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not >> web>> >> > links.>> > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on>> > TV.> Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!> Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's

economy) at > Games. Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase. Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center. Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out. Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Guest guest

One of those mini trampolines. A ball pit. Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote: A swing! A mattress on the floor for jumping. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) Intro and question I haven't postd much maybe once or twice. I'm a single mom w/ a 10 yr old girl aspie dx and add/adhd/tourettes and ocd/with a mood disorder. most days are good but man do we struggle sometimes I'm in the process of setting our spare bedroom up as a sensory room any suggestions as to what to put in it.? and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Hi Beth. First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may give you some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a phychologist. The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who will dx, if there is something to dx. Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If there is also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something else) involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to decide if you will put him on meds. Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes they don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you. BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have gone through this same thing and ......made it. ** Benefits of a diagnosis are that you

can get help at school. Some schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will give you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that will make it easier on him while at school. A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things he does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son is terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form of autism that affects him socially may not change your life at all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and hope that they can deal better with you and your son once they know. It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. The more people know about the crap that these kids and families are going through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. *** Being unable to read

social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING little social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are in social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. YOu can work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have to (or have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. The best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that we don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a social butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if he is to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because she is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and understand that though all married people do have to change at times,,,,,,,that Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest

parts of him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just writing all this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and we've done a lot of "learning". So,,,,,,, Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart gals in this group. Good luck!!! RobinBeth Manautou <bmanautou > wrote: Hi,I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of books on them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to draw them too. I knew something was not right though when this past year we were at a social function with other boys and

they were all in a group and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent over drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what was going on. Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws what he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time with extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have more of an understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too. Where do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him tested? How do they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What do you use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see that I need to help him in this area but how?Thank you,Beth oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Guest guest

The doctor that diagnosed our son used seperate questionaires filled out by me, his dad, his teacher and the special ed teacher. I think the ones we did were really hard to put a definite choice. They were all "Yes, BUT in this situation or that situation" ect. The were not concrete answers. And we all varied from what eachother put. Kids behave differenlty for different people.Dee DiMemmo <craftychick70@...> wrote: I have to tell you that I am not a big fan of the questionnaires, mainly because we all have our own

opinions. When I saw the one the former foster mother filled out regarding our son, it was like she was writing about a completelty different child! I think when they are used in conjunction with other evaluations they are helpful and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Hi Beth. First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may give you some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a phychologist. The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who will dx, if there is something to dx. Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If there is also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something else) involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have

to decide if you will put him on meds. Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes they don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you. BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have gone through this same thing and ......made it. ** Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at school. Some schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will give you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that will make it easier on him while at school. A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things he does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son is terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form of autism that affects him socially may not change your life at all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and hope that they can deal better with

you and your son once they know. It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. The more people know about the crap that these kids and families are going through, hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. *** Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING little social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are in social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. YOu can work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have to (or have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. The best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that we don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will

never be a social butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if he is to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because she is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and understand that though all married people do have to change at times,,,,,,,that Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest parts of him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just writing all this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and we've done a lot of "learning". So,,,,,,, Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart gals in this group. Good luck!!! RobinBeth Manautou <bmanautou > wrote: Hi,I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of books on them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to draw them too. I knew something was not right though when this past year we were at a social function with other boys and they were all in a group and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent over drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what was going on. Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws what he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time with extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have more of an understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too. Where do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him tested? How do they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What do

you use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see that I need to help him in this area but how?Thank you,Beth oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Guest guest

Oh yes, boxes for sure. My son LOVES boxes. He even made the cats a house out of boxes so they could have one and he could have one. Decorated it and all. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: Hi . We never actually did a "sensory room",,,,,but my son always loves new boxes and containers........shelves.......a place to put all of his "stuff". He has "squishy" things to squeeze. He loves to have little blankets.......we fold them up but he likes them to HAVE

them,,,,to just put in different spots. We had a tent-thing. I think it was Little Tykes. It was a very simple 4-sided, with a door and roof. It folded up really well....totally flat. Anyway,,,,,,a place for him to hide out and play his games...... We also just let his room be HIS.........his music, his drawing stuff......everything.Hope this helps. Robindesiree meintsma <meintsmadesiree > wrote: I haven't postd much maybe once or twice. I'm a single mom w/ a 10 yr old girl aspie dx and add/adhd/tourettes and ocd/with a mood disorder. most days are good but man do we struggle sometimes I'm in the process of setting our spare bedroom up as a sensory room any suggestions as to what to put in it.? and/or Robin

Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Hi Beth. First, I'd make an appt with your pediatrician. They may give you some questionnaires to fill out................kind of like pin-pointing what the issues are.....or they may refer you to a phychologist. The psychol will talk with you and he/she is the one who will dx, if there is something to dx. Once you have a dx, you then decide what route to take. If there is also attention problems or hyperactivity (or something else) involved....which there usually is,,,,,,then you have to decide if you will put him on meds. Hopefully if you do that, the first meds will work. Sometimes they don't and this will start a LONG ride for your son and you. BUT,,,,remember that you are a great mom and thousands have

gone through this same thing and ......made it. ** Benefits of a diagnosis are that you can get help at school. Some schools are good - some not so good. But,,,,,having a dx will give you the LEGAL right to demand certain things for your son that will make it easier on him while at school. A dx will also give you a reason why he does some of the things he does. It at times can shut someone us who just thinks your son is terrible and you are a bad mom. Saying that your son has a form of autism that affects him socially may not change your life at all,,,,but you DO have the right to let people know about it and hope that they can deal better with you and your son once they know. It also makes you an advocate for your son,,,,,and the thousands/millions out there dealing with a spectrum disorder. The more people know about the crap that these kids and families are going through,

hopefully in time, the world will treat them better. *** Being unable to read social cues is classic aspergers. HAVING little social "awareness" is classic. Some see a therapist. Some are in social skills groups. Some use "modeling" or social stories. But,,,,,,,,it is something that will NEVER just come to them. YOu can work with him in your own way,,,,,,,,but ultimately we all have to (or have had to) realize that THIS IS WHO OUR KID IS. Bottom line. The best thing for our family has been just ACCEPTING it. Not that we don't want to integrate him and help him be able to fit better,,,,,,but just realizing that he will never be a social butterfly.....that he doesnt' mind being a loner........that if he is to ever have a girlfriend or wife,,,,she will be a saint because she is going to have to be the one to make the first MOVES and understand that though all married

people do have to change at times,,,,,,,that Ian is not going to be able to change probably that hardest parts of him that she'll have to deal with. Don't get me wrong,,,,Ian is amazing!! He's an incredible funny, cute guy. I was just writing all this because this past year has been the roughest yet,,,,,,and we've done a lot of "learning". So,,,,,,, Feel free to ask questions any time. There are a lot of smart gals in this group. Good luck!!! RobinBeth Manautou <bmanautou > wrote: Hi,I am very new to AS. My 8 yro ds matches almost all of the symptoms. My son loves dinosaurs and has collected lots of books on them. He has read every book in the library on them and loves to draw them

too. I knew something was not right though when this past year we were at a social function with other boys and they were all in a group and having fun and my son seemed to not even notice. He was bent over drawing dinosaurs in the sand and was oblivious to what was going on. Most of the time it seems like he is in another world. He draws what he sees in his head and can do this for long periods of time with extreme focus. I am somewhat happy to see that I now have more of an understanding of his world but at the same time I am scared too. Where do I start for having him diagnosed? Should I have him tested? How do they test? What are the positives of getting a diagnosis? What do you use to help develop better social skills? My son is extremely sensitive but unable to read nonverbal social cues. I see that I need to help him in this area but how?Thank you,Beth oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

Guest guest

Hello,

I have CMT 1A and really need to get AFOs. I had a very unhappy experience a

couple of years ago with a local orthotist, through MDA.

I am ready to try again and am considering the Helios braces, which would

require me to go to Las Vegas. Does anyone have any experience with them?

How do you choose the " right " orthotist?

Thank you,

Donna

Guest guest

Great idea andie and way to go!! in advocating for your daughter!

> From: andie <andie6294@...>

> Subject: ( ) Re: intro and question

>

> Date: Thursday, March 4, 2010, 10:24 PM

> We have a small chalk board (I used

> to use it to write the weeks' menu). I started using it to

> make short lists of what needed to be done so I could refer

> my daughter to the list instead of repeating myself a

> hundred times and getting mad.

>

> In the morning, I write " eat, get dressed, make bed, brush

> teeth " .  After school, I write " snack, sensory

> activity, homework, PLAY " . I do have to keep telling her to

> look at the board, but having it seems to make it a rule or

> something, instead of just mommy riding her butt as usual.

>

> Might work for breaking down homework into segments as

> well.  I'm hoping that once we get to the IEP stage, I

> will be able to ask that they either have a study hall

> period with a special ed teacher to patiently help her do

> it, or no homework at all.  It takes up so much of our

> family time, and causes such a strain on our relationship.

> After having to do all she does in school, she is DONE by

> the time she gets home!

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

We have always talked to our 13 yr old son. It has helped him learned to cope with alot. We explain how it affects him, his family, the people he interacts with down to how it makes him feel. We work on alot of things with our child. Like learning to function. I feel like he needed to know how to cook 3 meals call 911, if you can get him to respond to the fact someone is hurt other than himself. lol wash clothes, etc. It is a daily struggle with our child don't get the wrong impression. But I have teenagers in our family with no issues that still can't do all he does. But if I fell over dead tomorrow he can fend for himself until he does decide to call for help. I just hope American pickers isn't on or been recorded no telling how long he will let me sit there. It is just the reality of it all...

From: holcomb_chuck <holcomb_chuck@...>Subject: ( ) Intro and Question Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 5:01 PM

Hello, my name is Chuck and I am new to this group. I do not know much about , so please bear with me.First off, we have a 13 yr old daughter who has undiagnosed Asperger's.We have always suspected something different with her but could not pin point it until we met some friends who's son has AS. We then did a ton of research on the subject and came to a definite conclusion that Asperger's Syndrome is the answer. We live in a very rural area, and have no way to see the nearest specialist which is over 4hrs away. How do we talk to our daughter about this? I am afraid that telling her that she has Asperger's will stress her out and cause a melt down.I would appreciate any comments on this.Thank you.Chuck------------------------------------