RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

new here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome, Christi!

Sounds like yi=ou have some things well in hand. To become a NICU nurse, you *must* go to nursing school first. Very few hire LPNs (are there *any* any more? I don't think so) Nursing school is pretty general, then you can begin to work towards your goal of NICU.

As for your priorities--keep them at school and your future for now--you have lots of years for the babies after you've met the goals you set for yourself. :)

[OBnurses] new here

Hello everyone. My name is Christy. i am 15 and from illinois. sorry i havent introduced myself before now but ive been pretty busy. i have been reading the posts though from everyone and they are very interresting to read. I joined this group because im wanting to become an NICU nurse.... my niece was in the NICU for almost a week when she was born and i have also done two job shadowing sessions in the NICU and i absolutely loved it and knew thats what i wanted to do when i first arrived there... i am homeschooled and in the tenth grade. i want a baby and am ready for the responsibility but right now my priorites are school , and my future

Guest guest

Christy~

I applaud you for being so "goal oriented!!! Check and see if you're community has an ROP (Regional Occupational Program) program. Here in California they offer this program in many different occupations. It allows a student to participate in their chosen field getting a taste of the career etc. The students who observe in the hospitals are allowed (depending on various institutions) to have some "hands-on" participation all over the hospital. Not only gives you an idea of the different departments but also a trial before actually applying and paying for nursing school. I was fortunate enough to do this (almost 30 years ago) and changed my mind many times as to what kind of nurse I wanted to be. Also gives you an appreciation for all employees of the hospital, i.e. we couldn't do our job efficiently if it weren't for the housekeeping, purchasing departments, etc.

Good luck with your schooling and let the group know.

Guest guest

Re: LVNs...

Yes there are still LVN's. My daughter just graduated from LVN school. She plans on continuing on and getting her RN but with her particular situation it was the best road. Each state, of course, has their own scope of practice and they are somewhat limited but my daughter just hired on in the local hospital's emergency room. So it is another option.

Guest guest

This is indeed an option. In this area they are called LPN's and there are LPN-to-RN bridge programs out there too. Sometimes this gives the opportunity to work in nursing for a greater pay scale while working towards an RN too. LPN's in this area are significantly limited, even with the nursing shortage--most are hired for nursing homes.

----------Jeanine

Re: [OBnurses] new here

Re: LVNs...Yes there are still LVN's. My daughter just graduated from LVN school. She plans on continuing on and getting her RN but with her particular situation it was the best road. Each state, of course, has their own scope of practice and they are somewhat limited but my daughter just hired on in the local hospital's emergency room. So it is another option. Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

Welcome, Carla! Glad you jumped in! :)

---------Jeanine

[OBnurses] New here

I guess I should introduce myself since I just jumped in. =o) I am Carla, married with three kiddos, and working as an L & D nurse in Ohio.CarlaAttached Mommy to Tanner 6, 3, & my waterbaby Tatum 1Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only.

Guest guest

I work L & D and have very little post partum experience. We transfer our patients to the postpartum unit by 2hours. Unless of course they are on MgSO4 or unstable.

We were doing this. But, we have tried going back to an LDRP. It's not a true LDRP though since usually we transfer care to a PP nurse, and baby still transitions in the NSY, but it's a slow process. Here lately, though, the L & D nurses have been keeping many PP pts, just due to high census. I'm not really sure how other places do it, but I'm finding it a little difficult to juggle PP pts with labors. Last night, I had a POD 2 CS, an unstable antepartum, and a 34 wk active labor pt. Luckily, the first 2 were pretty much down for the night, by the time my 34 wker showed up, and the baby from my couplet was in SCN. If I had a new BF Mom I needed to assist and an active labor, eek.

Carla

Attached Mommy to Tanner 6, 3, & my waterbaby Tatum 1

Guest guest

Hi there!

Welcome.

I am married with 2 kids (9 and almost 5) in Canada. I work L & D and have very little post partum experience. We transfer our patients to the postpartum unit by 2hours. Unless of course they are on MgSO4 or unstable.

redheadmama27@... wrote:

I guess I should introduce myself since I just jumped in. =o) I am Carla, married with three kiddos, and working as an L & D nurse in Ohio.CarlaAttached Mommy to Tanner 6, 3, & my waterbaby Tatum 1Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or

Web-only. Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

Guest guest

My goodness..... How many beds/nurses are there on that unit? we have 5 nurses + 1 charge for 7 beds, 2 caserooms, 1 OR and 3 RR. Rare that all would be full but the potential is there. We just don't have the room on our unit to recover anyone for much longer than 1-2 hrs. Our unit is rarely empty.

We have 12 LDRP's, 2 bed triage, 2 bed RR, OR, and a high risk room which can handle CS also. Luckily, we have only rarely had 2 CS's at once.

There are 14 PP rooms. We keep the antepartums that need monitoring back in L & D. Since we are transitioning to LDRP's (so PP can take GYN pts), we are only supposed to keep 3 rooms open in L & D. Although the last couple weeks we have had to move out PP pts to make room for the L & D pts. And the other day, we had to move GYN pts downstairs, to make room for the PP pts, to make room for L & D. It's a messy cycle. We staff 4 nurses in L & D for 12 LDRP's and OR.

Carla

Attached Mommy to Tanner 7, 3, & my waterbaby Tatum 1

Guest guest

My goodness..... How many beds/nurses are there on that unit? we have 5 nurses + 1 charge for 7 beds, 2 caserooms, 1 OR and 3 RR. Rare that all would be full but the potential is there. We just don't have the room on our unit to recover anyone for much longer than 1-2 hrs. Our unit is rarely empty.

redheadmama27@... wrote:

I work L & D and have very little post partum experience. We transfer our patients to the postpartum unit by 2hours. Unless of course they are on MgSO4 or unstable.We were doing this. But, we have tried going back to an LDRP. It's not a true LDRP though since usually we transfer care to a PP nurse, and baby still transitions in the NSY, but it's a slow process. Here lately, though, the L & D nurses have been keeping many PP pts, just due to high census. I'm not really sure how other places do it, but I'm finding it a little difficult to juggle PP pts with labors. Last night, I had a POD 2 CS, an unstable antepartum, and a 34 wk active labor pt. Luckily, the first 2 were pretty much down for the night, by the time my 34 wker showed up, and the baby from my couplet was in SCN. If I had a new BF Mom I needed to assist and an active

labor, eek.CarlaAttached Mommy to Tanner 6, 3, & my waterbaby Tatum 1Welcome to the OBnurses list!You have the freedom to change your membership settings at any time you choose. Go to the Yahoogroups Home Page at www.yahoogroups.com and sign in with your e mail address and the password you used to subscribe to this list. You will then see a list of all Onelist lists you are subscribed to. You can then easily choose the settings you would like--unsubscribe, digest, or Web-only. Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

Guest guest

LOL thought for a minute you were explaining the tempers in my family...

About a year before Wesley was diagnosed with autism he was diagnosed with developmental delays. His teacher actually brought of the autism to us but it wasn't the first time we had heard it. After hearing it so many times I looked into it and that is how I pretty much knew he had it so when the doctors said it, it didn't come as to much of a shock, even though I still had hope that all my research was wrong and what everyone else said was wrong.

derek heard wrote:

Hi ! Sounds very similar. My son was diagnosed in March as well and will be 4 in Nov. We knew something was going on with him but never thought it was autism. I knew something was going on, but everyone told me he was just speech delayed. My son has a temper too, but so does my other son Cameron, who does not have autism. Then I think.....I have a temper too and so does dad. So the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree. I guess my family is just a bad tempered bunch . Welcome. From personal experience, I have gotten positive feedback from so many people. Need anything just ask.

Shari Nettles wrote:

Hey ! You're on my other list, too...children with autism. : )

Shari

-- Re: New Here

Welcome to the group. What county are you in?

New Here

Hi..

My name is , I am23 years old and mommy to Wesley who is 4 years old. We were told in March that he is autistic. We had already guessed that so it wasn't too much of a shock for us. He is high functioning. I am married to Dwayne who is in the Army. We just moved here to Ga.( been here for a little over a month. Fort is his first duty station. In September we will have been married for 3 years.Before moving here we both had always lived in Va. In September we will have been married for 3 years. Wesley is the light of our life and is such a wonderful joy, well most of the time :). He does have a temper which I can't blame all on autism since I have one too :). Umm We do want more kids and hopefully that dream we have had for 2 years now will come true soon. Well I can't think of anything else to say. LOL I am terrible at this. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Guest guest

I know what ST and OT are but what is BT? LOL about the BLT..

derek heard wrote:

Today I took my sons to visit their grandmother at work and they both had a "temper" episode in her classroom. We had a good laugh when we thought how we all have bad tempers. Even his grandmother said she is a " little hot natured." That was how she jokingly described it.

We knew something was going on, but the topic of autism was never brought up to us until we were transitioning from Babies Can't Wait to the school system and then BANG! I was very hurt initially by the diagnosis and we desperatly sought out a second opinion from his pediatrician, who was also shocked. He referred us to Dr. Rubin and Dr. Rubin confirmed the diagnosis. So here we are. My son has been having speech therapy since he was 1 1/2 for his diagnosis at the time of "speech delay." Now he gets OT, ST. and BT privately and gets OT and ST in the school system. ( All these abbrv., I once added to the list BLT as a therapy to a friend of mine.)

And if you ever want to e-mail me privately for anything, it is ok.

wrote:

About a year before Wesley was diagnosed with autism he was diagnosed with developmental delays. His teacher actually brought of the autism to us but it wasn't the first time we had heard it. After hearing it so many times I looked into it and that is how I pretty much knew he had it so when the doctors said it, it didn't come as to much of a shock, even though I still had hope that all my research was wrong and what everyone else said was wrong.

derek heard wrote:

Hi ! Sounds very similar. My son was diagnosed in March as well and will be 4 in Nov. We knew something was going on with him but never thought it was autism. I knew something was going on, but everyone told me he was just speech delayed. My son has a temper too, but so does my other son Cameron, who does not have autism. Then I think.....I have a temper too and so does dad. So the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree. I guess my family is just a bad tempered bunch . Welcome. From personal experience, I have gotten positive feedback from so many people. Need anything just ask.

Shari Nettles wrote:

Shari

New Here

Hi..

My name is , I am23 years old and mommy to Wesley who is 4 years old. We were told in March that he is autistic. We had already guessed that so it wasn't too much of a shock for us. He is high functioning. I am married to Dwayne who is in the Army. We just moved here to Ga.( been here for a little over a month. Fort is his first duty station. In September we will have been married for 3 years.Before moving here we both had always lived in Va. In September we will have been married for 3 years. Wesley is the light of our life and is such a wonderful joy, well most of the time :). He does have a temper which I can't blame all on autism since I have one too :). Umm We do want more kids and hopefully that dream we have had for 2 years now will come true soon. Well I can't think of anything else to say. LOL I am terrible at this. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Guest guest

I know what ST and OT are but what is BT? LOL about the BLT..

derek heard wrote:

Today I took my sons to visit their grandmother at work and they both had a "temper" episode in her classroom. We had a good laugh when we thought how we all have bad tempers. Even his grandmother said she is a " little hot natured." That was how she jokingly described it.

We knew something was going on, but the topic of autism was never brought up to us until we were transitioning from Babies Can't Wait to the school system and then BANG! I was very hurt initially by the diagnosis and we desperatly sought out a second opinion from his pediatrician, who was also shocked. He referred us to Dr. Rubin and Dr. Rubin confirmed the diagnosis. So here we are. My son has been having speech therapy since he was 1 1/2 for his diagnosis at the time of "speech delay." Now he gets OT, ST. and BT privately and gets OT and ST in the school system. ( All these abbrv., I once added to the list BLT as a therapy to a friend of mine.)

And if you ever want to e-mail me privately for anything, it is ok.

wrote:

derek heard wrote:

Shari Nettles wrote:

Shari

New Here

Hi..

Guest guest

I am a firm advocate of laughter. I can't tell you how much I would be crying if I didn't find a situation funny.

Oh, BT is Behavior Therapist.

Missy Feldhaus wrote:

LOLOLOLOL

Behavior therapy

MISSYSAHM to some special kids!!!

Excuse Me While I Go Raise Tomorrow's Future.

New Here

Hi..

Guest guest

I second that!!!

New Here

Hi..

Guest guest

I joke with my husband all that time that I am having a relationship with my computer because I am always e-mailing someone at Autism-Ga or Ga-Parent.

Missy Feldhaus wrote:

I second that!!!

New Here

Hi..

Guest guest

I joke with my husband all that time that I am having a relationship with my computer because I am always e-mailing someone at Autism-Ga or Ga-Parent.

Missy Feldhaus wrote:

I second that!!!

New Here

Hi..

Guest guest

Missy Feldhaus wrote:

I second that!!!

New Here

Hi..

Guest guest

Hello, Ivy. Welcome.

De

Faith is the ability to not panic.

-----Original Message-----From: Ivy Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 12:21 AMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: New HereI just wanted to say hello. I'm Ivy from San , CA. I don't know how long I've had hcv, probably 20 to 30 years, but I was just dx'd March 1999. It's still kind of hard coming to terms with or even gettng in the frame of mind where I want to acknowledge it. I know it's real and I do have to address it though. So, I'm kind of wandering around aimlessly now finding out where I fit in. At least I finally admitted the truth to myself. That's step one. Thanks for listening. Ivy

Guest guest

Hi Ivy,

I was born and raised in San and now live in the Sierra Foothills

near Sonora. I have been here going on 17 years. Can't say that I

really miss the congestion of Silicon Valley, but do get down there once

in awhile.

I was dx'd about the same time as you. I am a Vietnam Vet and am very

active in that community.

Welcome to the group and, I am sure, you will meet up with Liz fairly

soon. I am sure you will fit in with all of us here very well.

Join in with the rest of us Dragon slayers!!!!

Dick

At 09:20 PM 6/10/04, you wrote:

I just wanted to say

hello. I'm Ivy from San , CA. I don't

know how long I've had hcv, probably 20 to 30 years, but I was just

dx'd March 1999. It's still kind of hard coming to terms with or

even gettng in the frame of mind where I want to acknowledge it. I

know it's real and I do have to address it though. So, I'm kind of

wandering around aimlessly now finding out where I fit in. At least

I finally admitted the truth to myself. That's step one.

Thanks

for listening. Ivy

Guest guest

Angi,

I've been where you are. My son started around that age with his symptoms, and

we didn't medicate until this year-he's 10. OCD is known for its history for

waxing and waning. It often gets worse during life transitions or stress.

People on this forum taught me about the ERP therapy, and we initiated that on

our own until we could go see a psychiatrist. This year, there was no getting

by without medication, as my son's OCD symptoms were severely limiting his

functioning, and he was hysterical and even had thoughts of suicide. My son has

the confessing-type of OCD-everything he does wrong, he confesses, and it first

started with fears of harming people, specifically me (his mother). I wish I

could explain ERP to you, but I'm not the best person for the job. I'm sure

others on here could offer better explanation about it and probably will. I

will tell you that now with medicine, my son's OCD is not in the forefront

anymore-it's the least on our minds, which is a miracle to us. I understand

your hesitancy to medicate, and it may not be necessary for now. Just rest

assured, though, that if it is eventually necessary, there have been many

studies regarding the safety and efficacy of some of the meds used for OCD, and

I'm sure a doctor would be able to lead you in the right direction. There are

also many natural supplements that some use for their children, too, that might

be an option for you. The point is-there are options and treatments. Good

luck.

in Southern Illinois

New here

Hi. I'm new here and thought I'd toss a question out there to see

if anyone has any advice. I have a 5-year-old daughter who has

exhibited symptoms of OCD since 2 years of age. She goes periods

where it seems better and times when it is very obviously

interferring in her daily activities. It's very hard watching such

a little girl struggle with such anxiety. My husband and I, to this

point, are together on not medicating her. She's just too little

and we feel the medications have too many risks.

Anyway, one of her more recent issues has involved telling us that

things have gotten in her mouth. Repeatedly, many times a day, she

tells us " the pillow got in my mouth " , " the door knob got in my

mouth " , " Kali (the dog) touched my mouth " and so on.

We've been through periods like this before and they've always

seemed to fade in intensity, but this time I'm worried. Seems that

the we're really not making any headway and her father and I are

trying to keep our patience while ensuring her that everything is ok.

Thanks.

Angi

Our list archives, bookmarks, files, and chat feature may be accessed at:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group// .

Our list advisors are Gail B. , Ed.D., Tamar Chansky, Ph.D.(

http://www.worrywisekids.org ), Dan Geller, M.D.,Aureen Pinto Wagner, Ph.D., (

http://www.lighthouse-press.com ). Our list moderators are Birkhan,

Castle, Fowler, Kathy Hammes, Joye, Kathy Mac, Gail

Pesses, and Kathy . Subscription issues or suggestions may be

addressed to Louis Harkins, list owner, at louisharkins@... ,

louisharkins@... , louisharkins@... .

Guest guest

Angi,

I've been where you are. My son started around that age with his symptoms, and

we didn't medicate until this year-he's 10. OCD is known for its history for

waxing and waning. It often gets worse during life transitions or stress.

People on this forum taught me about the ERP therapy, and we initiated that on

our own until we could go see a psychiatrist. This year, there was no getting

by without medication, as my son's OCD symptoms were severely limiting his

functioning, and he was hysterical and even had thoughts of suicide. My son has

the confessing-type of OCD-everything he does wrong, he confesses, and it first

started with fears of harming people, specifically me (his mother). I wish I

could explain ERP to you, but I'm not the best person for the job. I'm sure

others on here could offer better explanation about it and probably will. I

will tell you that now with medicine, my son's OCD is not in the forefront

anymore-it's the least on our minds, which is a miracle to us. I understand

your hesitancy to medicate, and it may not be necessary for now. Just rest

assured, though, that if it is eventually necessary, there have been many

studies regarding the safety and efficacy of some of the meds used for OCD, and

I'm sure a doctor would be able to lead you in the right direction. There are

also many natural supplements that some use for their children, too, that might

be an option for you. The point is-there are options and treatments. Good

luck.

in Southern Illinois

New here

Hi. I'm new here and thought I'd toss a question out there to see

if anyone has any advice. I have a 5-year-old daughter who has

exhibited symptoms of OCD since 2 years of age. She goes periods

where it seems better and times when it is very obviously

interferring in her daily activities. It's very hard watching such

a little girl struggle with such anxiety. My husband and I, to this

point, are together on not medicating her. She's just too little

and we feel the medications have too many risks.

Anyway, one of her more recent issues has involved telling us that

things have gotten in her mouth. Repeatedly, many times a day, she

tells us " the pillow got in my mouth " , " the door knob got in my

mouth " , " Kali (the dog) touched my mouth " and so on.

We've been through periods like this before and they've always

seemed to fade in intensity, but this time I'm worried. Seems that

the we're really not making any headway and her father and I are

trying to keep our patience while ensuring her that everything is ok.

Thanks.

Angi

Our list archives, bookmarks, files, and chat feature may be accessed at:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group// .

Our list advisors are Gail B. , Ed.D., Tamar Chansky, Ph.D.(

http://www.worrywisekids.org ), Dan Geller, M.D.,Aureen Pinto Wagner, Ph.D., (

http://www.lighthouse-press.com ). Our list moderators are Birkhan,

Castle, Fowler, Kathy Hammes, Joye, Kathy Mac, Gail

Pesses, and Kathy . Subscription issues or suggestions may be

addressed to Louis Harkins, list owner, at louisharkins@... ,

louisharkins@... , louisharkins@... .

Guest guest

Hi Angi, welcome!

I have a 15 yr old son with OCD. He also exhibited a bit of OCD

during his younger years, but OCD just seemed to abruptly burst forth

24/7 at around age 11.5 for some reason. Don't worry though, it

doesn't happen that way for all!

He used to also ask a lot of reassurance questions at a younger age.

I'm trying to think of how you could respond to some of her

statements. How do you generally respond each time? I think humor

might work well with this (maybe) and I'm hoping some of our great

parents here that are good with humorous ways to handle these type

things read your note; sorry, I'm not one of them! :)

's questions varied but primarily he was always wanting to

know about every little cut/scratch or blemish on his skin ( " how long

will it take to heal? " or " what is this, is it OK? " ) or asking me if

something would give him cancer. SIGH! An hour or so later, he'd be

back with the same question or an " are you sure? " type thing. I

didn't even realize that was part of OCD back thing, just that he was

a kid who kept asking questions again & again. So patience wasn't on

my list at that time. :)

Does she get teary over it all?

single mom, 3 sons

, 15, with OCD, dysgraphia and Aspergers

>

> Hi. I'm new here and thought I'd toss a question out there to see

> if anyone has any advice. I have a 5-year-old daughter who has

> exhibited symptoms of OCD since 2 years of age. She goes periods

> where it seems better and times when it is very obviously

> interferring in her daily activities. It's very hard watching such

> a little girl struggle with such anxiety. My husband and I, to

Guest guest

Hi, I am new as well, been reading mostly. I have a 16 year old son with

OCD. Was diagnosed last May, at 15, and looking back, it was there, but so

well hidden. He came to me and said, 'Mom, I have OCD.' At this age he is

very aware of everything...an incredibly bright guy.

When he started school in the Fall, in the 11th grade, all I can say is it

didn't take long for the meltdown. He is driven to be perfect, and thus

paralyzed to even begin his work. Can't make drafts, it has to be perfect the

first time. Can't be, so just gives up. Showed up a bit in English last year,

still his teacher placed him in Honors. This guy was in a few honors classes!

Now, I am just hoping he will get through the year. He has barely made it

to school this year. I have spent days under the covers in the dumps myself.

So far, the meds have only mildly helped. We are on second med, second

doctor, he is on Paxil, and this scares me a bit. This did come on sososos

surprising, despite those little signs. And it saddens me that he must have

been

struggling for so long. He tells me he has had it his whole life. I think

I can think of things as far back as 4th grade, but nothing that would have

made me guess. Or teachers, or anybody.

He inspected dishes, flatware, food, incredibly fussy eater, didn't like to

reach into the refridg...very fussy about what he wore....even did his own

washing because he would decide at 10 pm that he needed just this pair of jeans

or that T to wear. I used to joke he was the perfect child, did his own

laundry!!! He is very fussy about his 'looks', although in his classic jeans

and Ts one wouldn't have a clue, it's so simple as not to draw attention to

himself. In fact, I see him trying to shrink from life. Barely goes out with

friends, spends most of his time in his room alone. There is more, and it is

frustrating, as everyone here knows. Heartbreaking at times. Takes alot of

patience. I want to nag, nag, nag....but I can't. Words don't mean a thing

and only makes him withdraw all the more.

Hitting the difficult teen years, breaking away, wanting independence, and

OCD all at the same time is beyond anything I ever expected. I am not sure he

will complete this school year, and then?? How humiliating to repeat a grade

for a guy who is driven to be perfect? Is the perfectionism part of OCD or

is this something else? This is a guy who, while young for 11th grade, a few

months ago was looking at college books. Such a mystery. Are there any

other parents of teens who read or post?? I feel alone. I am married, but my

husband travels all over the country all the time, so it is all me. Thanks

for listening.

Judith

Guest guest

Angie,

My five year old daughter has the same problem.When she is really struggling

with ocd she asks me repeatedly throughout the day if it's okay that she touched

something and then put her finger in her mouth or if will what she touched,

somehow cause her to get sick and need a shot from the doctor. At first I tried

reassurance, when that clearly didn't work I decided to talk to her about OCD. I

explained we all have a part of the brain that warns us of danger and that along

with her 9 year old brother and myself her part sometimes repeats itself over

and over again warning her of danger when really everything is okay. We made up

a name for it. She calls it her worry girl when she's experiencing OCD thoughts.

I explained that she could help herself by bossing worry girl back and telling

her she didn't have to be afraid and that she wanted her to go away and wants to

play right now, not worry. She accepted this explanation and it has reduced the

number of times she come to me for

reassurance. Sometimes she asks me for help telling worry girl to go away. My

husband and I make a big production...She usually ends up laughing and clapping

her hands..The point is she is able to move from being overwhelmed and stuck to

whatever she rather be doing.

Best Wishes,

Rain

Guest guest

Rain,

Thank you for the response. It is trully reassuring to know that we

are not alone with this thing.

My daughter does similar things. She worries about poisons and

contamination which triggers her questions for reassurance.

We've only recently, after reading some posts on this site, started

researching methods similar to the one you discuss. We've been

calling my daughter's " a worry bug " (her knowing, of course, that

it's not a real live bug). We've talked with her about the brain

and how the thoughts work. We've only tried to have her tell

the " worry bug " to go away a few times and she's not responding

favorably yet. She gets upset and frustrated and says it won't go

away. She's been at grandparents for the holidays, so I'm anxious

to see if she will let her father and I help her tell the worry bug

to go away. I'm sure that could be very entertaining for her and

might break the ice. :) I've also ordered some books that I hope

will help us to help her.

I'm so glad to find such a great ocd resource.

Best Wishes,

- Angi

>

>

> Angie,

>

> My five year old daughter has the same problem.When she is really

struggling with ocd she asks me repeatedly throughout the day if

it's okay that she touched something and then put her finger in her

mouth or if will what she touched, somehow cause her to get sick and

need a shot from the doctor. At first I tried reassurance, when that

clearly didn't work I decided to talk to her about OCD. I explained

we all have a part of the brain that warns us of danger and that

along with her 9 year old brother and myself her part sometimes

repeats itself over and over again warning her of danger when really

everything is okay. We made up a name for it. She calls it her worry

girl when she's experiencing OCD thoughts. I explained that she

could help herself by bossing worry girl back and telling her she

didn't have to be afraid and that she wanted her to go away and

wants to play right now, not worry. She accepted this explanation

and it has reduced the number of times she come to me for

> reassurance. Sometimes she asks me for help telling worry girl to

go away. My husband and I make a big production...She usually ends

up laughing and clapping her hands..The point is she is able to move

from being overwhelmed and stuck to whatever she rather be doing.

>

> Best Wishes,

>

> Rain

>

>

>