Guest guest

Update

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good news Melinda!

Noelle (12-2-01)

Ian (8-15-04)

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Wed, October 14, 2009 9:02:48 PMSubject: Update

Hi all, So, Marlycia was at Shriners last Fri 10/2 to get her brace and has been wearing it 23 hrs a day. They took an xray but no one went over anything with me at the time b/c the phys asst was out and drs were busy. Anyways, I spoke with Janet today and she gave me some numbers. Her sitting xray before she got her brace was at a 54 degree curve, in brace it went down to 21 degrees, so thats great news! We are going to keep her in it until early Jan, then go back for xrays and see where we're at. The appt is with the casting dr so we will decide whether or not to cast her then. I'm kind of happy she doesnt have to go right into casting b/c the brace has been so difficult for her!! But good news is her curve looked better in the brace, lets hope it stays that way.MelindaMommy of Marlycia 9 mnths, Natalya 23 mnths Scranton, PA

Guest guest

Moving really does SUCK!! But like you said, you made it. Now, if I remember correctly, did you drive? How was Isaiah on the drive?

BTW, I'm very impatient too so I'll probably be back there in Dec.

Melinda

[infantile_scoliosi s] UpdateTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:02 PM

Hi all, So, Marlycia was at Shriners last Fri 10/2 to get her brace and has been wearing it 23 hrs a day. They took an xray but no one went over anything with me at the time b/c the phys asst was out and drs were busy. Anyways, I spoke with Janet today and she gave me some numbers. Her sitting xray before she got her brace was at a 54 degree curve, in brace it went down to 21 degrees, so thats great news! We are going to keep her in it until early Jan, then go back for xrays and see where we're at. The appt is with the casting dr so we will decide whether or not to cast her then. I'm kind of happy she doesnt have to go right into casting b/c the brace has been so difficult for her!! But good news is her curve looked better in the brace, lets hope it stays that way.MelindaMommy of Marlycia 9 mnths, Natalya 23 mnths Scranton, PA

Guest guest

Moving really does SUCK!! But like you said, you made it. Now, if I remember correctly, did you drive? How was Isaiah on the drive?

Melinda

[infantile_scoliosi s] UpdateTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:02 PM

Guest guest

Melinda

Guest guest

Melinda,

Yes we drove but we broke the trip up into 2 days so it wasnt as bad.

Im sure you told us before but why did they brace your dtr instead of casting her? Are they going to cast her soon? I would just be afraid of waiting as the brace cannot do for her curve as the cast can. Just wondering...

From: melindalee95 <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] UpdateTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:02 PM

Hi all, So, Marlycia was at Shriners last Fri 10/2 to get her brace and has been wearing it 23 hrs a day. They took an xray but no one went over anything with me at the time b/c the phys asst was out and drs were busy. Anyways, I spoke with Janet today and she gave me some numbers. Her sitting xray before she got her brace was at a 54 degree curve, in brace it went down to 21 degrees, so thats great news! We are going to keep her in it until early Jan, then go back for xrays and see where we're at. The appt is with the casting dr so we will decide whether or not to cast her then. I'm kind of happy she doesnt have to go right into casting b/c the brace has been so difficult for her!! But good news is her curve looked better in the brace, lets hope it stays that way.MelindaMommy of Marlycia 9 mnths, Natalya 23 mnths Scranton,

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

Im sure you told us before but why did they brace your dtr instead of casting her? Are they going to cast her soon? I would just be afraid of waiting as the brace cannot do for her curve as the cast can. Just wondering...

From: melindalee95 <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] UpdateTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 8:02 PM

Hi all, So, Marlycia was at Shriners last Fri 10/2 to get her brace and has been wearing it 23 hrs a day. They took an xray but no one went over anything with me at the time b/c the phys asst was out and drs were busy. Anyways, I spoke with Janet today and she gave me some numbers. Her sitting xray before she got her brace was at a 54 degree curve, in brace it went down to 21 degrees, so thats great news! We are going to keep her in it until early Jan, then go back for xrays and see where we're at. The appt is with the casting dr so we will decide whether or not to cast her then. I'm kind of happy she doesnt have to go right into casting b/c the brace has been so difficult for her!! But good news is her curve looked better in the brace, lets hope it stays that way.MelindaMommy of Marlycia 9 mnths, Natalya 23 mnths Scranton,

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

Im sure more seasoned parents will chime in here and help with this question but my understanding is that a brace will only hold a curve but cannot improve it at the degree she is at permantly. I even think the curve can increase in the brace. This is just me but i would really push to be seen much sooner than January to evaluate how her curve is progressing and talk about casting. My son is 14 mos old and his curve was at 50 degrees the day we casted him. I think you said your dtr was 54 degrees? That is quite high and i would not think time is on your side but as far as her age you have a great chance of correction. I dont mean to scare you or sound negative but i think casting then bracing is the way to go. Just my 2 cents!

melissa

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

Im sure more seasoned parents will chime in here and help with this question but my understanding is that a brace will only hold a curve but cannot improve it at the degree she is at permantly. I even think the curve can increase in the brace. This is just me but i would really push to be seen much sooner than January to evaluate how her curve is progressing and talk about casting. My son is 14 mos old and his curve was at 50 degrees the day we casted him. I think you said your dtr was 54 degrees? That is quite high and i would not think time is on your side but as far as her age you have a great chance of correction. I dont mean to scare you or sound negative but i think casting then bracing is the way to go. Just my 2 cents!

melissa

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

melissa

PA

Guest guest

, I was typing almost the same words to Melinda when i saw your post, I totally agree. We watched and waited and look what happened to Hayden. I would say, Melinda, you are in a good position with her being so young, to go ahead and cast asap. Cast life isn't as bad as I thought. She will adjust WAY better than any adult could to a body cast. She will do great. Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thu, October 15, 2009 3:27:50 PMSubject: Re: Update

Melinda,

melissa

PA

Guest guest

, I was typing almost the same words to Melinda when i saw your post, I totally agree. We watched and waited and look what happened to Hayden. I would say, Melinda, you are in a good position with her being so young, to go ahead and cast asap. Cast life isn't as bad as I thought. She will adjust WAY better than any adult could to a body cast. She will do great. Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thu, October 15, 2009 3:27:50 PMSubject: Re: Update

Melinda,

melissa

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

melissa

PA

Guest guest

Thats what I heard as well, about the brace. I emailed them to tell them I want an appt in Dec. Its ok, your not scaring me, I would rather know than not. My daughters curve is at 54 sitting. From what I'm told, they go by the laying/standing xrays. Her supine xray was at 31 (the pediatric ortho said 23). I tend to go with Shriners measurements b/c this is what they do! Anyways, I was hoping the brace would fix the problem but whatever needs to be done to get her taken care of.

Thanks again

Melinda

Guest guest

Thats what I heard as well, about the brace. I emailed them to tell them I want an appt in Dec. Its ok, your not scaring me, I would rather know than not. My daughters curve is at 54 sitting. From what I'm told, they go by the laying/standing xrays. Her supine xray was at 31 (the pediatric ortho said 23). I tend to go with Shriners measurements b/c this is what they do! Anyways, I was hoping the brace would fix the problem but whatever needs to be done to get her taken care of.

Thanks again

Melinda

Guest guest

Thanks again ladies!! I will get her in sooner just to see where we're at and get the ball rolling on casting.

Melinda

Guest guest

Thanks again ladies!! I will get her in sooner just to see where we're at and get the ball rolling on casting.

Melinda

Guest guest

Melinda

Guest guest

Melinda,

Good Girl!! Your doing the next right thing in taking care of your sweet daughter.

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

Good Girl!! Your doing the next right thing in taking care of your sweet daughter.

PA

Guest guest

Melinda,

PA

Guest guest

Great Melinda. Let us know. Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thu, October 15, 2009 4:55:45 PMSubject: Re: Update

Melinda

PA

Guest guest

Great Melinda. Let us know. Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thu, October 15, 2009 4:55:45 PMSubject: Re: Update

Melinda

PA

Guest guest

That's great that you're getting that much correction in a brace. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to do the job! Patty, mom of Isabella, 2 years old, in 2nd cast (Rochester) & mom to & EvanTo: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Wed, October

14, 2009 9:02:48 PMSubject: Update

Hi all,

So, Marlycia was at Shriners last Fri 10/2 to get her brace and has been wearing it 23 hrs a day. They took an xray but no one went over anything with me at the time b/c the phys asst was out and drs were busy. Anyways, I spoke with Janet today and she gave me some numbers. Her sitting xray before she got her brace was at a 54 degree curve, in brace it went down to 21 degrees, so thats great news! We are going to keep her in it until early Jan, then go back for xrays and see where we're at. The appt is with the casting dr so we will decide whether or not to cast her then. I'm kind of happy she doesnt have to go right into casting b/c the brace has been so difficult for her!! But good news is her curve looked better in the brace, lets hope it stays that way.

Melinda

Mommy of Marlycia 9 mnths, Natalya 23 mnths

Scranton, PA

Guest guest

That's great that you're getting that much correction in a brace. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to do the job! Patty, mom of Isabella, 2 years old, in 2nd cast (Rochester) & mom to & EvanTo: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Wed, October

14, 2009 9:02:48 PMSubject: Update

Hi all,

So, Marlycia was at Shriners last Fri 10/2 to get her brace and has been wearing it 23 hrs a day. They took an xray but no one went over anything with me at the time b/c the phys asst was out and drs were busy. Anyways, I spoke with Janet today and she gave me some numbers. Her sitting xray before she got her brace was at a 54 degree curve, in brace it went down to 21 degrees, so thats great news! We are going to keep her in it until early Jan, then go back for xrays and see where we're at. The appt is with the casting dr so we will decide whether or not to cast her then. I'm kind of happy she doesnt have to go right into casting b/c the brace has been so difficult for her!! But good news is her curve looked better in the brace, lets hope it stays that way.

Melinda

Mommy of Marlycia 9 mnths, Natalya 23 mnths

Scranton, PA