RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: I am fine!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jane, how many days were you gone? Did you have enough food?

Elaine

Thank you ! It is very embarrassing! I knew my family would be worried, but I did not expect all the attention! Boy!

Lol.

Jane

Guest guest

Hi again . Actually my friends and family have run the range from

threatening to have me implanted with location devices to outright

grounding me! lololol

Almost all of them except my husband have said I cannot go hiking alone

again. Of course, that is part of the reason I go alone, because I

spend so much time taking care of others I need that time off

occasionally.

It will be fine. I am totally uninjured and clean now. lol

Jane

Guest guest

First of all, I would pay attention when the guide book says possible snow problems prior to July. And I would check with someone who would know how the snow pack is. I assumed the snow would be melted and I was way wrong.

And any time possible that you get into trouble, going back is always available. There is never anything wrong with retracing your steps when possible.

But the best thing is to remember to stop and think before making a change in any plan.

Jane

Guest guest

LOLOL....they knew I could take care of myself, they were more concerned with possible injuries or something unavoidable. Actually my husband and I have been looking at satellite phones and personal location devices...they can send out signals when other things cannot (such as cell phones)

and Thank you! lol

My neighbor says if she ever wants to go packing she will be calling me!

Jane

Guest guest

I went on an 83 mile backpack trip, planning to be gone 7 or 8 days. I lost the trail in the snow, dropped off the mountain, could not get out over the creeks as they were flooded, and spent all my time and an extra 4 days trying to find a road that went somewhere. After I was 2 days late my family called out search and rescue, who did not find me. I did eventually find a way out and was picked up by a patrol person who was on his way to open the gate for the search people. I got flown in a helicopter and debriefed and taken home. It was interesting. I got phone calls from Wisconsin and Colorado and all over...people who know me and saw it on the news.

Jane

Guest guest

All I can say is ... WOW!!! What an adventure! Jane, what would you

differently if you did it over? In other words, what were the

mistakes you made? I ask because I am also gearing up to backpack

(although I'm going to start out with a simple overnight :) and I need

lots of advice.

Alice

>

> Hi again . Actually my friends and family have run the range

from

> threatening to have me implanted with location devices to outright

> grounding me! lololol

> Almost all of them except my husband have said I cannot go hiking

alone

> again. Of course, that is part of the reason I go alone, because I

> spend so much time taking care of others I need that time off

> occasionally.

> It will be fine. I am totally uninjured and clean now. lol

> Jane

>

Guest guest

Thank you Sharon. I do try to be careful. When I explained what I did the consensus of the searchers and of my family is I did my best to do everything correctly. Some things just do not work the way you plan. And that is true of everything. Look at Steve. He learned a lot on his journey. And all his things he planned did not work the way he thought. But he took the things that did and built on them and adjusted his plans and goals as he went. That is the only thing any of us can do. The Bible says time and un-for-seen occurrence befall us all. It is up to us what we make of it. We can give up, or just quit. We can go on and fall in deeper. Or we can stop, adjust our thoughts and/or goals, then work out another way that hopefully will be better. It is called learning. I believe everything in life can be a learning experience, for good or bad. And I always try to make it a positive thing. One thing I really accepted on this hike is that when necessary there is nothing wrong with going back. I am not a person who readily accepts going back and it often does not occur to me as an option. Yet sometimes it is the best choice to make.

So I have learned that. (I hope, lol)

Jane

Guest guest

That would be the ideal...and yet scheduling, walking speed, a lot of factors would have to be figured in....and thank you for your concern.

Jane

Guest guest

will somebody please answer me? what the heck happened to jane on her hike? i have asked a couple of times now, and nobody will answer me.

I hope by now you have clicked on the link to the newspaper article.

Guest guest

When I grow up, Jane, I want to be just like you :-)

They should all be thoroughly convinced that you can take care of yourself, now.

W

Re: I am fine!

Hi again . Actually my friends and family have run the range from threatening to have me implanted with location devices to outright grounding me! lolololAlmost all of them except my husband have said I cannot go hiking alone again. Of course, that is part of the reason I go alone, because I spend so much time taking care of others I need that time off occasionally. It will be fine. I am totally uninjured and clean now. lolJane

Guest guest

will somebody please answer me? what the heck happened to jane on her hike? i have asked a couple of times now, and nobody will answer me.labtrek1941 wrote: When I grow up, Jane, I want to be just like you :-) They should all be thoroughly convinced that you can take care of yourself, now. W Re: I am fine! Hi again . Actually my friends and family have run the range from threatening to have me implanted with location devices to outright grounding me! lolololAlmost all of them except my husband have said I cannot go hiking alone again. Of course, that is part of the reason I go alone, because I spend so much time taking care of others I need that time off occasionally. It will be fine. I am totally uninjured

and clean now. lolJane __________________________________________________

Guest guest

will somebody please answer me? what the heck happened to jane on her hike? i have asked a couple of times now, and nobody will answer me.\

Della, Jane has sent two messages giving info on what has happened and another person sent links to newspaper articles. Sorry that you didn't see any of them. I've pasted all three below.

Elaine

Well everyone I see my daughter was searching for me. I would just like to tell people that I am fine...got a little lost but found myself a way out and am fine. My family is as well, recovering from the stress. I am totally fine and have actually lost 16 pounds! My 83 mile hike turned into over 120 but that was okay as I am completely unharmed. Thank you for all those who were concerned and I apologise for any stress I have caused!

Jane

I went out to do a 83 mile backpack trip, got sidelined by snow, then blocked by flooded creeks, and my 7 or 8 days turned into 12. A lot of people know me and the word spread like wildfire. I have heard it was even on Regis and . It was crazy!

Jane

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_155183152.html

http://www.redding.com/redd/nw_local/article/0,2232,REDD_17533_4749184,00.html

Guest guest

thank you, i seen the news artical right after i wrote that. lol 4give me?Elaine wrote: will somebody please answer me? what the heck happened to jane on her hike? i have asked a couple of times now, and nobody will answer me.\ Della, Jane has sent two messages giving info on what has happened and another person sent links to newspaper articles. Sorry that you didn't see any of them. I've pasted all three below. Elaine Well everyone I see my daughter was searching for me. I would just like to tell people that I am fine...got a little lost but found myself a way out and am fine. My family is as well, recovering from the stress. I am totally fine and have actually lost 16 pounds! My 83 mile hike turned into over 120 but that was okay as I am completely unharmed. Thank you for all those who were concerned and I apologise for any stress I have caused! Jane ********************************************************** I went out to do a 83 mile backpack trip, got

sidelined by snow, then blocked by flooded creeks, and my 7 or 8 days turned into 12. A lot of people know me and the word spread like wildfire. I have heard it was even on Regis and . It was crazy! Jane ********************************************************** http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_155183152.html http://www.redding.com/redd/nw_local/article/0,2232,REDD_17533_4749184,00.html __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Wow what a deal Jane be careful.

You sure got guts to do that on your own.

Sharon

-- Re: Re: I am fine!

will somebody please answer me? what the heck happened to jane on her hike? i have asked a couple of times now, and nobody will answer me.\

Della, Jane has sent two messages giving info on what has happened and another person sent links to newspaper articles. Sorry that you didn't see any of them. I've pasted all three below.

Elaine

Well everyone I see my daughter was searching for me. I would just like to tell people that I am fine...got a little lost but found myself a way out and am fine. My family is as well, recovering from the stress. I am totally fine and have actually lost 16 pounds! My 83 mile hike turned into over 120 but that was okay as I am completely unharmed. Thank you for all those who were concerned and I apologise for any stress I have caused!

Jane

I went out to do a 83 mile backpack trip, got sidelined by snow, then blocked by flooded creeks, and my 7 or 8 days turned into 12. A lot of people know me and the word spread like wildfire. I have heard it was even on Regis and . It was crazy!

Jane

Guest guest

Jane, I am so taken with your sunshiney attitude, and although I haven't posted many things on here, I enjoy hearing your imput on the discussion level. You should be proud of all you accomplished on your hike, I know I am proud of you.......Hugs jjsmth@... wrote: I went on an 83 mile backpack trip, planning to be gone 7 or 8 days. I lost the trail in the snow, dropped off the mountain, could not get out over the creeks as

they were flooded, and spent all my time and an extra 4 days trying to find a road that went somewhere. After I was 2 days late my family called out search and rescue, who did not find me. I did eventually find a way out and was picked up by a patrol person who was on his way to open the gate for the search people. I got flown in a helicopter and debriefed and taken home. It was interesting. I got phone calls from Wisconsin and Colorado and all over...people who know me and saw it on the news. Jane __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Jane, I know that you said you prefer to hike alone. Yet, wouldn't it be better to find someone else who also preferd that; and then you could hike together, yet stay a bit apart. You could even have different camp sites. Just close enough in case there are any problems. We all would like you safe, yet having fun.Leenajjsmth@... wrote: I went out to do a 83 mile backpack trip, got sidelined by snow, then blocked by flooded creeks, and my 7 or 8 days turned into 12. A lot of people know me and the word spread like

wildfire. I have heard it was even on Regis and . It was crazy! Jane

Guest guest

Thanks Maggie! Re: I am fine!

Sorry I couldn't find the Nevada Appeal story but it was the same as the AP story in the first link. The 2nd link is alot more informative. Enjoy !

Maggie

Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

Guest guest

I cant speak for Jane, but i'm on a hiking group and they have all

said that this was a very late snow year along the Pacific Crest

Trail, California, Washington & Oregon.

I was going to go camping & hiking on the Holiday, but most of the

campgrounds in the Mt Hood National Forest were closed because the

snow still hadnt melted!

so i guess the best thing is to find a hiking group and see if anyone

has recently been to the area you are going to and see what they say

about the conditions.

laurie

> >

> > Hi again . Actually my friends and family have run the range

> from

> > threatening to have me implanted with location devices to outright

> > grounding me! lololol

> > Almost all of them except my husband have said I cannot go hiking

> alone

> > again. Of course, that is part of the reason I go alone, because I

> > spend so much time taking care of others I need that time off

> > occasionally.

> > It will be fine. I am totally uninjured and clean now. lol

> > Jane

> >

>

Guest guest

i did i did i did loldougpapa@... wrote: will somebody please answer me? what the heck happened to jane on her hike? i have asked a couple of times now, and nobody will answer me. I hope by now you have clicked on the link to the newspaper article. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

the problem with finding someone else to hike with (which I do at various times) is that I do not know anyone who wants to walk when I do and how I do....also I am a caregiver...by habit...and I spend 350 days a year taking care of friends, family, and clients. Sometimes I just need time off for me. And backpacking alone is the way I do it. It helps me to be at peace with myself.

I take a great deal of precautions but we are now looking at some extra things I can do.

Thank you for being concerned.

Jane

Guest guest

leena has a very good point there. good idea.toni cosgrove wrote: Jane, I know that you said you prefer to hike alone. Yet, wouldn't it be better to find someone else who also preferd that; and then you could hike together, yet stay a bit apart. You could even have different camp sites. Just close enough in case there are any problems. We all would like you safe, yet having fun.Leenajjsmth@... wrote: I went out to do a 83 mile backpack trip, got sidelined by snow, then blocked by flooded creeks, and my 7 or 8 days turned into 12. A lot of people know me and the word spread like wildfire. I have heard it was even on Regis and . It was crazy! Jane __________________________________________________

Guest guest

GPS sort of things?

W.

Re: Re: I am fine!

the problem with finding someone else to hike with (which I do at various times) is that I do not know anyone who wants to walk when I do and how I do....also I am a caregiver...by habit...and I spend 350 days a year taking care of friends, family, and clients. Sometimes I just need time off for me. And backpacking alone is the way I do it. It helps me to be at peace with myself.

I take a great deal of precautions but we are now looking at some extra things I can do.

Thank you for being concerned.

Jane

Guest guest

I dont suppose you have a guard dog?

i'm really afraid to go hiking alone on over nighters, it has never

really been safe here to go alone (the survivalists were pretty

scarey), but it's worse now. I hate to put something negative out, but

a couple were murdered in oregon last year while camping. Individuals

have disapeared before, but this was completely scarey.

and now with the Bear & cougar population at an all time high, i'm

just leery. I'm a good aim with a gun but that has it's own concerns,

and I dont have a dog, so that is a bummer. Most single hikers I used

to know had a trained dog.

So i really want to go alone, but i just cant get up the nerve, which

is why i havent been on an overnighter hiking trip in 10 years. No one

to go with! And now i have to condition my back, right now i can only

carry a 5 pound pack and havent made it past the 3 mile mark. I'm

aiming for an overnighter by the end of august!

laurie

>

> the problem with finding someone else to hike with (which I do at

various

> times) is that I do not know anyone who wants to walk when I do and

how I

> do....also I am a caregiver...by habit...and I spend 350 days a year

taking care

> of friends, family, and clients. Sometimes I just need time off for

me. And

> backpacking alone is the way I do it. It helps me to be at peace

with myself.

> I take a great deal of precautions but we are now looking at some

extra

> things I can do.

> Thank you for being concerned.

> Jane

>

Guest guest

Good point about the dogs, Laurie. Even in the relatively tame gentle Smokies, I always took my two Labs, but they go everywhere else with me anyway. I find that people do not take a chance on your dog being gentle, but pass you by if you have a large vocal dog. Same way with my property. I guess they figure easier pickings where there are no large dogs.

W.

Re: I am fine!

I dont suppose you have a guard dog? i'm really afraid to go hiking alone on over nighters, it has neverreally been safe here to go alone (the survivalists were prettyscarey), but it's worse now. I hate to put something negative out, buta couple were murdered in oregon last year while camping. Individualshave disapeared before, but this was completely scarey. and now with the Bear & cougar population at an all time high, i'mjust leery. I'm a good aim with a gun but that has it's own concerns,and I dont have a dog, so that is a bummer. Most single hikers I usedto know had a trained dog. So i really want to go alone, but i just cant get up the nerve, whichis why i havent been on an overnighter hiking trip in 10 years. No oneto go with! And now i have to condition my back, right now i can onlycarry a 5 pound pack and havent made it past the 3 mile mark. I'maiming for an overnighter by the end of august!laurie>> the problem with finding someone else to hike with (which I do atvarious > times) is that I do not know anyone who wants to walk when I do andhow I > do....also I am a caregiver...by habit...and I spend 350 days a yeartaking care > of friends, family, and clients. Sometimes I just need time off forme. And > backpacking alone is the way I do it. It helps me to be at peacewith myself.> I take a great deal of precautions but we are now looking at someextra > things I can do.> Thank you for being concerned.> Jane>

Guest guest

I would never go alone into a campground...and no I do not have a dog. I carry pepper spray...the bear version...and although it says it can cause blindness in humans I would not hesitate to use it if necessary.It is always right next to my hand. I carry it on my belt while walking.

I have never had an issue with bears or lions in the woods but I am very leery of them at campgrounds and in town here. We have a pair of lions who wander around the school grounds out here at night..their tracks have been seen. Those make me nervous as they are acclimated to humans. Out where I go very few people are hanging out as it would take them weeks or months to find someone coming along the trail alone. Same with the wild animals, they are not human acclimated. I also do no trace camping so I don't encourage animals in that way or attract them.

Using your head in whatever situation you are in is always the best prevention for things. Even tho things happen ( like losing the trail) I have never been afraid out there. Maybe I am just too dumb! lolol

Jane