Guest guest

Re: Another newbie here!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes, I had an endoscopy 2 weeks ago. Found nothing but stomach

inflammation. Nothing in my esophagus and no damage from reflux. This

was the first type of this episode I ever had, and the drs think it

was due to the prednisone. I was surprised by this because I have

taken the pred before and nothing like this happened.

I wish you GL and hope you feel better soon.

I live in NY (Long Island)

> > > >

> > > > Have you had pulmonary fuction tests? What are you doing when the

> > > symptoms start? do you smoke? Lotsa nosy questions to see if we have

> > > answers! If you dont feel good and they cant find anything

wwrong that

> > > does NOT make you a hypocondriac. ..Boy do I know all about

having the

> > > drs have a hard time finding out what is wrong! Hang in there!

> > > > Anita

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Another newbie here!

> > > >

> > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a

lot from

> > > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be

> > > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few

> > > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for

> > > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest

> > > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and

> > > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a

> > > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced

it is

> > > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,

> lungs

> > > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when

I was

> > > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics

because

> > > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the

past few

> > > > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy,

EKG, echo

> > > > test (to rule out any heart probs).. Everything comes back clear.

> > > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to

> find out

> > > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to

> > > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to

live my

> > > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I

> know I

> > > > should.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > > >

> > > >

Guest guest

Thank you! I am very glad to have found this group. I really do not

know many adults who have asthma and understand what we go through.

> > >

> > > Have you had pulmonary fuction tests? What are you doing when the

> > symptoms start? do you smoke? Lotsa nosy questions to see if we have

> > answers! If you dont feel good and they cant find anything wwrong that

> > does NOT make you a hypocondriac. ..Boy do I know all about having the

> > drs have a hard time finding out what is wrong! Hang in there!

> > > Anita

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Another newbie here!

> > >

> > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a lot from

> > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be

> > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few

> > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for

> > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest

> > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and

> > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a

> > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced it is

> > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,

lungs

> > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when I was

> > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics because

> > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the past few

> > > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy, EKG, echo

> > > test (to rule out any heart probs). Everything comes back clear.

> > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to

find out

> > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to

> > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to live my

> > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I

know I

> > > should.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

When it rains it pours huh! I can imagine your mouth would be too sore, I guess the 22nd isnt that far, I just am not a waiting person, though I seem to spend most of my life doing that! I didnt see the pics they did not come through for me. Remember lots of ice and ibuprofen! You should go get some rest! I will hope for the best news possible with your US. keep us posted!anita

Re: Another newbie here!

Thank you. I have had asthma since I was 13 but it had always been somild and controlled with an inhaler when needed, I never thought muchof it. It did not start getting bad until a few years ago. I was inthe hospital for a week after a cold triggered a severe attack 2 yrsago and that is when I learned how serious of a disease this reallyis. I've not seen an allergist but I do have allergies too. And aftermy recent experience with severe heartburn/reflux I just found outabout how that factors in too. I am finding it hard not to overfocusor be fearful the worse it all gets as I get older (am 36 now).> >> > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a lot from> > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be> > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few>

> months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for> > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest> > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and> > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a> > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced it is> > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing, > lungs> > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when I was> > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics because> > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the past few> > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy, EKG, echo> > test (to rule out any heart probs). Everything comes back clear.> > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to find

> out> > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to> > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to live my> > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I know > I> > should.> > > > > >>

Guest guest

Prendisone is rough on out stomachs including the inhalers on the esphagus. Did they pu tyou on anythin gfor your stomach? These inhalers can do a number on us.

Another newbie here!> > > > > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning alot from> > > > recent posts about the symptoms

of asthma and how they can be> > > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few> > > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for> > > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest> > > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and> > > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a> > > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convincedit is> > > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,> lungs> > > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as whenI was> > > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibioticsbecause> > > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over thepast few> >

> > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy,EKG, echo> > > > test (to rule out any heart probs).. Everything comes back clear.> > > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to> find out> > > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to> > > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying tolive my> > > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I> know I> > > > should.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > >

Guest guest

WHAT does this mean?

PrYe Ped

Another newbie here!> > > > > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning alot from> > > > recent posts about the symptoms

of asthma and how they can be> > > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few> > > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for> > > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest> > > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and> > > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a> > > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convincedit is> > > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,> lungs> > > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as whenI was> > > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibioticsbecause> > > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over thepast few> >

> > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy,EKG, echo> > > > test (to rule out any heart probs).. Everything comes back clear.> > > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to> find out> > > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to> > > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying tolive my> > > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I> know I> > > > should.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > >

Guest guest

you lost me? regarding what? so confused..............

Guest guest

Since I started the Flovent a few weeks ago, my averages are up between 500-550. My "Green" starts at 420ish and my yellow zone runs between 280ish and the 420. I will drop to about 350 before I really think about going to the doctor b/c generally Im only that low b/c of my allergies flaring up or bronchitis. (Im stabbing at these numbers b/c I dont have my peak flow meter right next to me to look).The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ Toolbar Now!

Guest guest

Hi ,

You're welcome -

JMHO -

it is highly unlikely that anyone would be able to reach a

therapeutic dose of magnesium through food alone.

Unless youre a Sumo Wrestler and consume 20,000 calories per day!

LOL!

I re-posted these for you, if you decide you want to look into it

more -

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/asthma/message/19757

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/asthma/message/19758

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/asthma/message/19760

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/asthma/message/19761

All the best,

Alana

>

> Hi Alana,

>

> thanks for your reply.

Guest guest

What the Hell doe DrYe Ped mean?

Guest guest

your guess is as good as mine...what is it regarding?

Guest guest

Hi ,

I don't think I've ever seen higher than 340-350.

325 is actually decent for me.

I am always amazed when I see people are getting 400's.

Alana

>

> Out of curiousity, what is everyone else's numbers like?

>

>

>

Guest guest

OK, good to know. I guess " normal " for everyone is very different. I

started to worry when I read people getting in the 500s!

>

>

> >

> > Out of curiousity, what is everyone else's numbers like?

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Yes, I was on Prilosec and Nexium for a while. Until the side effects

made me stop. I have a follow up with the gastro dr next week to see

if any further treatment is necessary.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you had pulmonary fuction tests? What are you doing

when the

> > > > symptoms start? do you smoke? Lotsa nosy questions to see if

we have

> > > > answers! If you dont feel good and they cant find anything

> wwrong that

> > > > does NOT make you a hypocondriac. ..Boy do I know all about

> having the

> > > > drs have a hard time finding out what is wrong! Hang in there!

> > > > > Anita

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Another newbie here!

> > > > >

> > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a

> lot from

> > > > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be

> > > > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for

a few

> > > > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT,

gastro (for

> > > > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest

> > > > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and

> > > > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot

get a

> > > > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced

> it is

> > > > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,

> > lungs

> > > > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when

> I was

> > > > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics

> because

> > > > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the

> past few

> > > > > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy,

> EKG, echo

> > > > > test (to rule out any heart probs).. Everything comes back

clear.

> > > > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to

> > find out

> > > > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be

starting to

> > > > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to

> live my

> > > > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I

> > know I

> > > > > should.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > > > >

> > > > >

Guest guest

You're right, seeing the daily requirement and how much is in certain

foods, it would be tough. Do you take a supplement and find that it

helps? Does your dr support this?

Thanks,

> >

> > Hi Alana,

> >

> > thanks for your reply.

>

Guest guest

That is interesting, thank you. I feel like taking these meds are a

damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of thing. It confuses me

when they say they are safe, then not safe, then safe, etc. They make

it sound so scary when they say things about increasing the risk of

death for the exact reason you are taking it for, to keep the disease

from killing you!

>

>

> I am afraid

> > to take the stronger combo meds also (the ones that say

> they " increase

> > the risk of asthma-related death " ).

>

Guest guest

What side effects were you having for prilosec and nexium? isnt it funny how they are suppose to help but some times the die effects are worse than what the drugs are suppose to be curing!Anita

Another newbie here!> > > > > > > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a> lot from> > > > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be> > > > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms fora few> > > > > months now and seen my

regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT,gastro (for> > > > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest> > > > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and> > > > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannotget a> > > > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced> it is> > > > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,> > lungs> > > > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when> I was> > > > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics> because> > > > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the> past few> > > > > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy,> EKG,

echo> > > > > test (to rule out any heart probs).. Everything comes backclear.> > > > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to> > find out> > > > > what is really going on. I think by now they might bestarting to> > > > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to> live my> > > > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I> > know I> > > > > should.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

I have never hit 500!!Im jealous of those people too! But I am short, so even if I was perfectly healthy I might not hit 500!

Anita

Re: Another newbie here!OK, good to know. I guess "normal" for everyone is very different. Istarted to worry when I read people getting in the 500s!> > > > > > Out of curiousity, what is everyone else's numbers like?> > > > > >>------------------------------------

Guest guest

The first course of Prilosec (2 wks) was fine. It got rid of the

burning but not the lump feeling in my throat. After the endoscopy I

took the Nexium for a week and had some minor headaches and

stomachaches. Gastro said I could stop that and go back to the

Prilosec, soon as I did I got diarrhea. So I just stopped taking that

too. Haven't had the heartburn or lump come back, so maybe it was enough.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Have you had pulmonary fuction tests? What are you doing

> when the

> > > > > symptoms start? do you smoke? Lotsa nosy questions to see if

> we have

> > > > > answers! If you dont feel good and they cant find anything

> > wwrong that

> > > > > does NOT make you a hypocondriac. ..Boy do I know all about

> > having the

> > > > > drs have a hard time finding out what is wrong! Hang in there!

> > > > > > Anita

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Another newbie here!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a

> > lot from

> > > > > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be

> > > > > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for

> a few

> > > > > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT,

> gastro (for

> > > > > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest

> > > > > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or

pressure, and

> > > > > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot

> get a

> > > > > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced

> > it is

> > > > > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no

wheezing,

> > > lungs

> > > > > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when

> > I was

> > > > > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics

> > because

> > > > > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the

> > past few

> > > > > > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy,

> > EKG, echo

> > > > > > test (to rule out any heart probs).. Everything comes back

> clear.

> > > > > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to

> > > find out

> > > > > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be

> starting to

> > > > > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to

> > live my

> > > > > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I

> > > know I

> > > > > > should.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

Guest guest

Wow you guys. I am still in the 200's.

Cheryl Burton ncicheryl@...

Another newbie here!

> > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a lot from

> > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be

> > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few

> > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for

> > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest

> > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and

> > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a

> > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced it

is

> > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,

lungs

> > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when I was

> > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics because

> > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the past

few

> > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy, EKG, echo

> > test (to rule out any heart probs). Everything comes back clear.

> > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to find out

> > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to

> > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to live my

> > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I know I

> > should.

> > > >

> > > >

Guest guest

Welcome all Newcomers. I am Cheryl and live in Downey, Ca. I had my 1st attack last Dec on the 8th. They thought it was a heart attack, so treated me for that until they realized it was asthma. Very scary.

Another newbie here!> > > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a lot from> > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be> > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few> > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for> > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest> > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and> > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a> > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced it is> > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no

wheezing,lungs> > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when I was> > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics because> > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the past few> > > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy, EKG, echo> > > test (to rule out any heart probs). Everything comes back clear.> > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try tofind out> > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to> > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to live my> > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as Iknow I> > > should.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- ---------

------> > > > > >

Guest guest

Cheryl

what kind of peak flow meter do you use? I have read that they all are differernt, I may blow 350 on mine but 250 on yours...Make sense?

I use an airlife asthma check peak flow meter..haha the cheapest of cheapo..free from the dr! But it works, and as long as I follow the numbers on mine its ok..though just because I like toys, I want to order a cool electronic one..but then if my main issue wants to be COPD right now, my PF doesnt matter to much.......oh well

Anita

Another newbie here!

> > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a lot from

> > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be

> > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few

> > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for

> > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest

> > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and

> > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a

> > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced it

is

> > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing,

lungs

> > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when I was

> > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics because

> > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the past

few

> > months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy, EKG, echo

> > test (to rule out any heart probs). Everything comes back clear.

> > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to find out

> > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to

> > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to live my

> > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I know I

> > should.

> > > >

> > > >

Guest guest

Its the one that all you guys were talking about a while back. I ordered it on Amazon. I forgot it at home today, as I am so caught up in helping my husband while he is incapacitated.

Another newbie

here! > > > > Hello. I am new to the group too and having been learning a lot from > > recent posts about the symptoms of asthma and how they can be > > different at times. I have been feeling various symptoms for a few > > months now and seen my regular dr, pulmonologist, ENT, gastro (for > > related reflux) to try to determine what is causing my chest > > discomfort. Sometimes it feels like a tightness or pressure, and > > sometimes I just feel short of breath or like I just cannot get a > > good, full breath in and out. My pulmonologist isn't convinced it is > > really an asthma attack or episode because there is no wheezing, lungs > > sound clear and my breathing test scores are the same as when I was > > feeling fine. Right now I am taking a z-pack of antibiotics because > > I've been congested with swollen glands last week. Over the past few > >

months I have had a chest x ray, sinus ct scan, endoscopy, EKG, echo > > test (to rule out any heart probs). Everything comes back clear. > > Should I ask them for a lung ct scan, or chest MRI to try to find out > > what is really going on. I think by now they might be starting to > > wonder if I am a hypochondriac. I still run around trying to live my > > life as normal but I am just tired of not feeling as well as I know I > > should. > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------ > > > >

Guest guest

Hi ,

>>They make it sound so scary when they say things about increasing the risk ofdeath for the exact reason you are taking it for, to keep the diseasefrom killing you!>> I've noticed that too.

I guess you have to research the med you are questioning and decide if the risks outweigh the benefits. They have to put all those precautions to include everything that could go wrong with everyone that takes that med. When I read the precautions I start thinking does that apply to me?

I don't always go by this. . . but sometimes I will try one and if I don't get worse well then I'll take the next dose.

To be honest, there was one med I could not bring myself to take the first dose. I explained that to my dr. She was understanding. I'm sure I wasn't the first to refuse a med.

Maybe you could explain the fears you have with your meds and get a lesser dose and a new med.

Hicando

-------------- Original message from "lilli_nyc" : --------------

That is interesting, thank you. I feel like taking these meds are adamned if you do and damned if you don't kind of thing. It confuses mewhen they say they are safe, then not safe, then safe, etc. They makeit sound so scary when they say things about increasing the risk ofdeath for the exact reason you are taking it for, to keep the diseasefrom killing you!> > > I am afraid> > to take the stronger combo meds also (the ones that say > they "increase> > the risk of asthma-related death").>

Guest guest

Don't give up!! I can not understand why your pulmo thinks asthmatics only wheeze. Sometimes they just cough. Have you had a methocholine challenge? That is the definitive test for asthma. If you have asthma it will show up on this test. I never wheezed when my adult onset asthma started-I just coughed and was short of breath. My pulmonary function tests were normal but when Ihad the methocholine challenge the asthma showed up plain as day. Fast forward a few years and no I do sometimes wheeze if I have a virus. The point is: you know your body. Persevere until you get answers. Wishing you good luck and good health!