RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: i am having a real hard time

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sharon, I’m glad to hear that something I wrote helped you.

It’s amazing how sharing our stories can help others in some way.

Being depressed is such a sad situation as it impacts every aspect of your life

– be it your marriage, other relationships with family or friends, your

job, etc. When there are physical problems as well, it’s just that

much harder to pull yourself out of the hole.

Thank God for the pharmaceutical industry,

huh?? LOL

And by the way, I made a decision today to

file for social security disability. I contacted an attorney and I’m

meeting with her next week. I should have done this months ago, but I

guess I hoped that I’d finish tx and all would be well with the

world. Unfortunately, my RA has got me very concerned and I’m not

sure that I’ll ever be able to work again full time if this continues.

I still think I will improve, but in the meantime, I need to do something to

protect myself and not lose any more time.

Dorothy

Hepatitis_C_Central

[mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On

Behalf Of SHARON CROSBY

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008

2:36 PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

Subject: Re:

i am having a real hard time

Dorothy, your message is inspiring. I've been lower these past

weeks than I've ever been, really low. I have far less to cry about, but

haven't been able to lift myself out of the abyss.

You make me realize that yes, I DO want to continue on. I've got

a couple of new meds from my doc and will give them a chance to kick in.

Thanks, Sharon

Guest guest

We knew you could do it honey.. every day wont be as bad,, and in the end, you will be so glad that you've finished tx.. please come and vent ANY TIME you need to, thats what we're here for!joyceann silva wrote: thanks you all and sheena being able to vent to you guys is my best support, i really dont know what i would of down with out all of you, you guys understand that we look one way but feel another, its one of those things people say well you dont look like yr 1/2 crazed...lol....hey i still have a sense of

humor,,,thanks so so much..Sheena <mom4possums2002> wrote: You may need your meds changed altogether, Joyce, I had the rage really bad just from the virus, the Riba then added much fuel to the fire, but we do get through, and it's sure good to be able to vent somewhere that people understand and care. Hang In, you are loved.. Hugs, Sheena joyceann silva <mepurplegee>

wrote: now this i agree with it, he will get over it, and ill just have to deal with him thinking i am a mean peson and that ive changed, i must say this riba rage is real powerfull i did experience a little of it weeks ago and my celexa was highered, but this week esp has been the worst, Sheena <mom4possums2002> wrote: Sounds like a bit of Riba rage, Joyce.. Sometimes we have to just walk away, take many deep breaths and remind ourselves that we can do it.. It might help some if y better understood what you are going through.. Many Hugs, Sheena joyceann silva <mepurplegee> wrote: well , i told scotty pls stop just leave me alone i cant deal with anything or anybody and i hate noise and i hate his voice, etc,,,,needless to say we have been fighting for daysJackie on <redjaxjm> wrote: Joyce, Yes, honey, its the treatment meds... and its ok to isolate,, its ok to do whatever you must in order to complete treatment! You need to accept how you feel about everything right now.. Maybe the reason you are

frustrated and angry is because you are expecting to feel differently that you do.. Maybe you need to just accept whatever you are feeling as a normal part of treatment and NOT TRY to make sense of it,, just let it go.. I know thats hard... but sit your family down and tell them how you are feeling, explain the anger, frustration and the lack of patience and then tell them that its NOT THEIR fault,, its the meds and that when you finish tx it will all go away.. Ask THEM to be patient and not take anything you say personally.. then accept how you are feeling and just go to bed... Rest as much as you can and remember that your liver heals itself when you are sleeping.. just know and accept that it is what it is ,,,, right now, it wont always be that way..joyceann <mepurplegee> wrote: hi everyone, well my depression is at

its worst, the past week has been unbearable, ive never felt like this before, anger, hate and just wanting to cry, as we know im on the celexa 40 mg, im wondering if that has brought me to this point, or if its me for no reason or the meds, i am isolating so bad , yesterday i only left my room to go to bathroom and am having severe anxiey, i just have lost patience, im just very out of control i have medicare and i think i need to do something quick i drift off and stare and catch myself, i have forgotten thimgs like my niece telling me bro is in hosp with pnemonia the next day i wasnt sure if it was real or a dream i had to call her and ask her, i just dont know!!!!!!!!!my sis was telling me last night on lifetime on april 12 great movie on , we had read the book so i walk to the calemdar and marked it under april 10 , Jackie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all

with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. Jackie

Guest guest

Good news, Dorothy. You shouldn't have any trouble getting it, RA is a recognized ailment.Too bad for your pain, tho.Sharon RE: i am having a real hard timeSharon, I'm glad to hear that something I wrote helped you. It's amazing how sharing our stories can help others in some way. Being depressed is such a sad situation as it impacts every aspect of your life - be it your marriage, other relationships with family or friends, your job, etc. When there are physical problems as well, it's just that much harder to pull yourself out of the hole. Thank God for the pharmaceutical industry, huh?? LOL And by the way, I made a decision today to file for social security disability. I contacted an attorney and I'm meeting with her next week. I should have done this months ago, but I guess I hoped that I'd finish tx and all would be well with the world. Unfortunately, my RA has got me very concerned and I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to work again full time if this continues. I still think I will improve, but in the meantime, I need to do something to protect myself and not lose any more time. Dorothy From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBYSent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:36 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: Re: i am having a real hard time Dorothy, your message is inspiring. I've been lower these past weeks than I've ever been, really low. I have far less to cry about, but haven't been able to lift myself out of the abyss. You make me realize that yes, I DO want to continue on. I've got a couple of new meds from my doc and will give them a chance to kick in. Thanks, Sharon

Guest guest

Even without being 'under-treatment', I'm sorry to 'admit' that my

energy-levels (at-times) prohibit me from performing hygiene-related

functions on an 'acceptable'(To-ME)-schedule.

I do however TRY to wipe the 'most-smelly-bits' with vinegar and/or

some of the 'salt-deodorant/s', and that seems to help.

I most usually use an Organic Cider Vinegar (with the 'mother'-) on

my skin AND to consume. (with my mouth/stomache LOL)

Try to find one of the 'salt-deodorants' that DOES-NOT contain any

aluminium-compounds, (if You care about that sort of thing)

(Aluminium-compounds will 'usually' cause an anti-perspirant-effect,

which I personally prefer to allow my body to 'do what it does' as

necessary)

These techniques have worked well for me.

Although, sometimes I've been told that I smell like a German/and-

or/Italian Sub-sandwich-! LOL

In any case, it's GOTTA be better than the 'other'-smell/s-?

I personally don't have any problem with " smelling-like-a-human " , nor

do I 'usually' have any problem with others " smelling-like-a-human/'

However, I DO (and have had for many years even before Diag) have a

problem tolerating 'Strong-Perfume/s',.... it seems as though

the 'Synthetic'-perfume/s and/or perfume/s that have 'too-many'

ingredients, bother me the most,... headaches, feeling-nauseous, etc.

Whereas, 'single-note' or even 'several-note' NATURAL-perfume/s don't

really seem to bother me.

Weird eh-?

> You know, with my past drug history, I was so upset

when I had to go on pain meds 2 years ago, but it was what I needed

to do in order to function and live.

>

> One of the doctors understood and he told me not to worry about

it then. He was right. You do what you have to do at the time.

Things work themselves out later.

>

> If you need the meds and the doctor changes your dose, it's

what you need to do for right now. I know this whole thing really

sucks, Joyce, but I'm on the other side now and you know and I know

that you'll get there too……..YOU WILL!!

>

> Dorothy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Jackie

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

>

Guest guest

Did you find that 'smells' bothered you before tx or during? I found that everything smelled ok, but nothing as far a food tasted ok.. I did however notice that my armpits smelled weird while on tx and I had to shower and clean them more frequently..DUG wrote: Even without being 'under-treatment', I'm sorry to 'admit' that my energy-levels (at-times) prohibit me from performing hygiene-related functions on an 'acceptable'(To-ME)-schedule. I do however TRY to wipe the

'most-smelly-bits' with vinegar and/or some of the 'salt-deodorant/s', and that seems to help. I most usually use an Organic Cider Vinegar (with the 'mother'-) on my skin AND to consume. (with my mouth/stomache LOL) Try to find one of the 'salt-deodorants' that DOES-NOT contain any aluminium-compounds, (if You care about that sort of thing) (Aluminium-compounds will 'usually' cause an anti-perspirant-effect, which I personally prefer to allow my body to 'do what it does' as necessary) These techniques have worked well for me. Although, sometimes I've been told that I smell like a German/and- or/Italian Sub-sandwich-! LOL In any case, it's GOTTA be better than the 'other'-smell/s-? I personally don't have any problem with "smelling-like-a-human", nor do I 'usually' have any problem with others "smelling-like-a-human/'

However, I DO (and have had for many years even before Diag) have a problem tolerating 'Strong-Perfume/s',.... it seems as though the 'Synthetic'-perfume/s and/or perfume/s that have 'too-many' ingredients, bother me the most,... headaches, feeling-nauseous, etc. Whereas, 'single-note' or even 'several-note' NATURAL-perfume/s don't really seem to bother me. Weird eh-? > You know, with my past drug history, I was so upset when I had to go on pain meds 2 years ago, but it was what I needed to do in order to function and live. > > One of the doctors understood and he told me not to worry about it then. He was right. You do what you have to do at the time. Things work themselves out later. > > If you need the meds and the doctor changes your dose, it's what you need to do for right now. I know this whole thing really

sucks, Joyce, but I'm on the other side now and you know and I know that you'll get there too……..YOU WILL!! > > Dorothy > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Jackie > > > > > --------------------------------- > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. > Jackie

Guest guest

I had that problem, all of them. My smeller was far stronger as well and body odor was worse. Most food tasted like cooked cardboard and my stomach was more sensetive to spices. Sharon Re: Re: i am having a real hard timeDid you find that 'smells' bothered you before tx or during? I found that everything smelled ok, but nothing as far a food tasted ok.. I did however notice that my armpits smelled weird while on tx and I had to shower and clean them more frequently..

Guest guest

thats it! I guess its from the Interferon,, Im so glad Im done with that,, and hope I never have to use it again,, I will if I need to but I hope I never need to..lolSHARON CROSBY wrote: I had that problem, all of them. My smeller was far stronger as well and body odor was worse. Most food tasted like cooked cardboard and my stomach was more sensetive to spices.

Sharon Re: Re: i am having a real hard time Did you find that 'smells' bothered you before tx or during? I found that everything smelled ok, but nothing as far a food tasted ok.. I did however notice that my armpits smelled weird while on tx and I had to shower and clean them more frequently.. Jackie

Guest guest

My taste has returned to normal, my smeller has always been strong, but things smell like they "should" now at least. During the latter period of tx, I would actually gag on some foods. Jackie, my doc gave me citralopram and zyprexa for my depression. I THINK the citralpram is the celexa in generic form. It's only 10 mgs, but my doc is very cautious. I haven't been this low for many years and I don't like it here. Doc tried to get me into a hospital, but I'm NOT gonna go there!! At least, not right now, I'm not. Sharon----- thats it! I guess its from the Interferon,, Im so glad Im done with that,, and hope I never have to use it again,, I will if I need to but I hope I never need to..lolSHARON CROSBY wrote: I had that problem, all of them. My smeller was far stronger as well and body odor was worse. Most food tasted like cooked cardboard and my stomach was more sensetive to spices. Sharon

Guest guest

Yes, it’s the generic Celexa.

Fighting

the Dragon

Hepatitis_C_Central

[mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBY

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:37 PM

To: Hepatitis_C_Central

Subject: Re: Re: i am having a real hard time

My taste has returned to normal, my smeller has always been

strong, but things smell like they " should " now at least.

During the latter period of tx, I would actually gag on some foods.

Jackie, my doc gave me citralopram and zyprexa for my

depression. I THINK the citralpram is the celexa in generic form.

It's only 10 mgs, but my doc is very cautious. I haven't been this low

for many years and I don't like it here. Doc tried to get me into a

hospital, but I'm NOT gonna go there!! At least, not right now, I'm not.

Sharon

-----

thats it! I guess its from the Interferon,, Im so glad

Im done with that,, and hope I never have to use it again,, I will if I need to

but I hope I never need to..lol

SHARON CROSBY wrote:

I had that problem, all of them. My smeller was far

stronger as well and body odor was worse. Most food tasted like

cooked cardboard and my stomach was more sensetive to spices.

Sharon

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1336 - Release Date: 3/20/2008 9:48

AM

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1336 - Release Date: 3/20/2008 9:48 AM

Guest guest

In view of that, I’ve thought about

trying to file the claim myself to save the atty fees. I’m not sure what

to do. Anyone who’s filed either way have any thoughts?

Thanks, Dorothy

Hepatitis_C_Central

Behalf Of SHARON CROSBY

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008

5:42 PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

Good news, Dorothy. You shouldn't have any trouble getting it, RA

is a recognized ailment.

Too bad for your pain, tho.

Sharon

RE:

Sharon, I'm glad to hear that something I wrote helped you. It's

amazing how sharing our stories can help others in some way. Being

depressed is such a sad situation as it impacts every aspect of your life - be

it your marriage, other relationships with family or friends, your job,

etc. When there are physical problems as well, it's just that much harder

to pull yourself out of the hole.

Thank God for the pharmaceutical industry, huh?? LOL

And by the way, I made a decision today to file for social security

disability. I contacted an attorney and I'm meeting with her next

week. I should have done this months ago, but I guess I hoped that I'd finish

tx and all would be well with the world. Unfortunately, my RA has got me

very concerned and I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to work again full time

if this continues. I still think I will improve, but in the meantime, I

need to do something to protect myself and not lose any more time.

Dorothy

Guest guest

Jackie, I could not stand the smell of any food including toast! The only food that tasted ok was fruit. I ate a lot of fruit and would at times go to Jamba juice and get a smoothie and sip on that the whole day. I am sure that I was not getting enough protein and that contributed to me feeling so very ill all the time. My body smelled different and I always felt dirty soon after showering. I would get out of bed shower and go back in bed. Not an exciting life!

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Guest guest

I went through an attorney and my claim was based on a combination of hep-c, fibromyalgia and IBD. I was denied and got an attorney for the appeal. It took over 3 years but I had my appeal last January. I was not happy with my attorney and had I not spoken up during the process, probably would have lost. As it was, they made some kind of deal that shaved off a year of my back-pay benefits - which BTW, in my state anyway, arrives in installments, not one lump sum as I had been led to believe. Once you win your appeal, your attorney is paid their cut off of the top, and what is left, is meted out in installments. This part might be different depending on what state you live in.

Having Medicare has been a blessing!

But you stand a much better shot - you've tried to treat, you have severe rheumatoid problems, but the most important thing is to have your neurologist's opinion and reports. I can't tell you how much that counts! One of the secrets from folks who have successfully done it themselves is to bury them with paperwork. Make and send them copies of EVERYTHING and get as many doctor's recommendations as you can.

Also, you might have already seen the list of "approved disabilities" in your reading - it's somewhere on SS's site.

Good luck,

Chris

I’m meeting with an attorney next week so I suppose I can see what they have to say – I can always decide then. It kills me to fork over money if I can do it myself. Particularly if my RA would qualify me without too much of a fight. I can see if I was basing my claim on HCV or a back injury or something, but I do have peripheral neuropathy and RA. I saw my neurologist today and he’s the one who’s been encouraging me to file for months now.Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

You had a GREAT attorney! And that's wonderful that you got your money in a lump sum - I still haven't figured out how that works....... I also was very confused about the process and thought that it would be easier to have an attorney. They were great in all the official stuff, but when it came to representing me, they didn't do so well - then again, I really didn't have much "evidence" - my hep c was at 1/1, fibro is difficult for a lot of judge's to understand and I didn't have any doctor's recommendations. I was denied SS because their view was that as a former data entry type person, that I could still perform some sort of work because I was sitting down most of the time.

I pretty much just told the judge (and they also had some kind of vocational specialist in attendance.) how it was. The IBD, the fatigue, etc. was all just too much to deal with - I even told him about having to put in a request to change my desk so that I could be nearer to the bathroom at my last job...... I might add that I squirmed repeatedly in my chair for the whole hearing - which took about 15-20 minutes. He eventually came right out and said that he found me disabled but from "this date" instead of the year earlier. My attorney was so excited that he pressed me to take it - he had already given up on winning my case before we got into the courtroom.

I started receiving payments a few months later (though it might be sooner where you are as SS lost my current address...) and got my Medicare Card, as well as a state Medicaid card in October.

I dread calling SS for anything and our office here is a nightmare - take a number and wait the whole day type thing. I still have a payment or two coming but I've lost track - one day I'll check my bank balance and find a direct deposit from them - their letter concerning this usually arrives a week later. But, at least I have it!

Anyway, it's interesting to read other's experiences with the "process"

Good luck to all!

Chris

Good advice, CHris. I had an attorney, who told me to gather all the information so that she could charge me less. She filed all the paperwork and I appeared before the judge, this took 2 years and my settlement came in one lump sum, after she took her fourth. I needed her, in my mind because my mind was very confused about it all and I was emotionally frail at that time. She was worth the money.

Sharon

I went through an attorney and my claim was based on a combination of hep-c, fibromyalgia and IBD. I was denied and got an attorney for the appeal. It took over 3 years but I had my appeal last January. I was not happy with my attorney and had I not spoken up during the process, probably would have lost. As it was, they made some kind of deal that shaved off a year of my back-pay benefits - which BTW, in my state anyway, arrives in installments, not one lump sum as I had been led to believe. Once you win your appeal, your attorney is paid their cut off of the top, and what is left, is meted out in installments. This part might be different depending on what state you live in.

But you stand a much better shot - you've tried to treat, you have severe rheumatoid problems, but the most important thing is to have your neurologist's opinion and reports. I can't tell you how much that counts! One of the secrets from folks who have successfully done it themselves is to bury them with paperwork. Make and send them copies of EVERYTHING and get as many doctor's recommendations as you can.

Also, you might have already seen the list of "approved disabilities" in your reading - it's somewhere on SS's site.

Good luck,

Chris

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

You can get the paperwork from a book store or file online. There is a lot of paperwork, tho and you will have to be persistent. They always, it seems, turn you down the first time. TheSS office can also get the papers for you as well as a list of attorneys.

Sharon

RE: i am having a real hard time

In view of that, I've thought about trying to file the claim myself to save the atty fees. I'm not sure what to do. Anyone who's filed either way have any thoughts?

Thanks, Dorothy

Guest guest

Thanks, . I've been able to lift my head off the floor today, so the drugs are starting to work. Also had my first visit with a counselor and I actually feel a smidgeon of hope....

RE: Re: i am having a real hard time

Yes, it’s the generic Celexa.

Fighting the Dragon

From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBYSent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:37 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: Re: Re: i am having a real hard time

My taste has returned to normal, my smeller has always been strong, but things smell like they "should" now at least. During the latter period of tx, I would actually gag on some foods.

Jackie, my doc gave me citralopram and zyprexa for my depression. I THINK the citralpram is the celexa in generic form. It's only 10 mgs, but my doc is very cautious. I haven't been this low for many years and I don't like it here. Doc tried to get me into a hospital, but I'm NOT gonna go there!! At least, not right now, I'm not.

Sharon

Guest guest

I did see the on-line instructions last

night. I’m meeting with an attorney next week so I suppose I can

see what they have to say – I can always decide then. It kills me

to fork over money if I can do it myself. Particularly if my RA would

qualify me without too much of a fight. I can see if I was basing my

claim on HCV or a back injury or something, but I do have peripheral neuropathy

and RA. I saw my neurologist today and he’s the one who’s

been encouraging me to file for months now.

I was chatting with the office manager at

the neurologist’s office today and she said some of their patients have

done it themselves with no problem and some have needed the help of an attorney.

She also felt that I might be able to do it myself. I’ll give it

some thought over the weekend.

Thanks, Sharon

Dorothy

Hepatitis_C_Central

Behalf Of SHARON CROSBY

Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 5:03

PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

You can get the paperwork from a book store or file online. There

is a lot of paperwork, tho and you will have to be persistent. They

always, it seems, turn you down the first time. TheSS office can also get

the papers for you as well as a list of attorneys.

Sharon

Guest guest

Thanks for your story! I appreciate

hearing what someone else has gone through. I’m not sure why there would be a

difference though in states since this is Social Security which is Federal. I

would think it’s the same rules in all states, but perhaps that’s not the case.

Dorothy

Hepatitis_C_Central

Behalf Of smalk50@...

Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 7:40

PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

I went through an attorney and my claim

was based on a combination of hep-c, fibromyalgia and IBD. I was denied

and got an attorney for the appeal. It took over 3 years but I had my

appeal last January. I was not happy with my attorney and had I not spoken

up during the process, probably would have lost. As it was, they made some kind

of deal that shaved off a year of my back-pay benefits - which BTW, in my state

anyway, arrives in installments, not one lump sum as I had been led to

believe. Once you win your appeal, your attorney is paid their cut off of

the top, and what is left, is meted out in installments. This part might

be different depending on what state you live in.

But you stand a much better shot - you've

tried to treat, you have severe rheumatoid problems, but the most important

thing is to have your neurologist's opinion and reports. I can't

tell you how much that counts! One of the secrets from folks who

have successfully done it themselves is to bury them with paperwork. Make

and send them copies of EVERYTHING and get as many doctor's recommendations as

you can.

Also, you might have already seen the

list of " approved disabilities " in your reading - it's somewhere on

SS's site.

Good luck,

Chris

Guest guest

Good advice, CHris. I had an attorney, who told me to gather all the information so that she could charge me less. She filed all the paperwork and I appeared before the judge, this took 2 years and my settlement came in one lump sum, after she took her fourth. I needed her, in my mind because my mind was very confused about it all and I was emotionally frail at that time. She was worth the money.

Sharon

Good luck,

Chris

Guest guest

When I applied, in the state of Washington, HepC was NOT a valid disability illness. I had enough other things, some stemming from the HepC, that I got it, but I think the attorney helped me to get it.

Sharon

RE: i am having a real hard time

I did see the on-line instructions last night. I'm meeting with an attorney next week so I suppose I can see what they have to say - I can always decide then. It kills me to fork over money if I can do it myself. Particularly if my RA would qualify me without too much of a fight. I can see if I was basing my claim on HCV or a back injury or something, but I do have peripheral neuropathy and RA. I saw my neurologist today and he's the one who's been encouraging me to file for months now.

I was chatting with the office manager at the neurologist's office today and she said some of their patients have done it themselves with no problem and some have needed the help of an attorney. She also felt that I might be able to do it myself. I'll give it some thought over the weekend.

Thanks, Sharon

Dorothy

Guest guest

I've been on 100% Social Security Disability in 05/2007. Received

back benefits for one year prior. Lump sum payment. Approved in 2.5

months. Though I had an attorney (only specialist in SS benefits in

the area), I didn't need one in the end, and because it all went so

easily and quickly that the attorney just charged me $1,200. Going on

Medicare on May 1, 2008.

Main point is that I may have been lucky, but my GI Doctor had the

right concept, having dealt with this issue a lot. When he was

contacted by Social Security, he was adamant about 2 main issues.

One, the HCV with all of the physical side effects that would last

forever. Second was about the mental issues. He had put me on

antidepressants. He also had me on Lactulose for lack of mental

acquity. So he stressed all my negative abilities, like bending,

lifting, walking, driving, fatique and general malaise and inability

to work. Then he talked about the long term mental prognosis being

not good at all. The constant brain farts, getting lost in stores and

while driving, lack of ability to process thoughts normally and

general mental fatigue as well as the physicl fatique. My PCP backed

it all up.

So to me, the Doctors involved are far more important than the

attorneys. They went from the medications I was on, and explained

each one and it's purpose in my healthcare. Plus the fact that most

of this was expected for a lifetime if not for the long term.

So I hope your on lots of meds! Apply asap, as they'll only go back 1

year from date of eligibility for backpay. Another idea is that you

could alway apply yourself, if you feel your Dr. is going to fight

for you, then maybe get rejected, then reapply with an attorney. Let

us know your thoughts and progress. I would discuss all this with

your Dr. before you see the attorney, if possible.

>

> I went through an attorney and my claim was based on a combination

of hep-c,

> fibromyalgia and IBD. I was denied and got an attorney for the

appeal. It

> took over 3 years but I had my appeal last January. I was not

happy with my

> attorney and had I not spoken up during the process, probably

would have

> lost. As it was, they made some kind of deal that shaved off a

year of my

> back-pay benefits - which BTW, in my state anyway, arrives in

installments, not one

> lump sum as I had been led to believe. Once you win your appeal,

your

> attorney is paid their cut off of the top, and what is left, is

meted out in

> installments. This part might be different depending on what

state you live in.

>

> Having Medicare has been a blessing!

>

> But you stand a much better shot - you've tried to treat, you have

severe

> rheumatoid problems, but the most important thing is to have your

neurologist's

> opinion and reports. I can't tell you how much that counts! One

of the

> secrets from folks who have successfully done it themselves is to

bury them

> with paperwork. Make and send them copies of EVERYTHING and get

as many

> doctor's recommendations as you can.

>

> Also, you might have already seen the list of " approved

disabilities " in

> your reading - it's somewhere on SS's site.

>

> Good luck,

>

> Chris

>

>

>

> In a message dated 3/21/2008 6:25:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

> dorv@... writes:

>

> I’m meeting with an attorney next week so I suppose I can see

what they have

> to say †" I can always decide then. It kills me to fork over

money if I can

> do it myself. Particularly if my RA would qualify me without too

much of a

> fight. I can see if I was basing my claim on HCV or a back injury

or

> something, but I do have peripheral neuropathy and RA. I saw my

neurologist today

> and he’s the one who’s been encouraging me to file for months

now.

>

>

>

>

> **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video

on AOL

> Home.

> (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?

ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

>

Guest guest

Rick – how does that work?  If you were

approved in 2 ½ months, how did you get one year back benefits?  Doesn’t the

clock start ticking as of the application date?  Wouldn’t that make you

eligible for 2 ½ months worth of benefits?

I think that my case is complicated enough

that I need the attorney so I’m not going to try to unravel it myself.  I haven’t

worked in 10 ½ months; however, I was on unemployment part of that time until I

filed for state short term disability last October.  It was my hope to go to

work once I finished the HCV tx, but the RA is making that look like less of a

probability.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don’t

get it how you can get a year back benefits after only 2 ½ months or maybe you

mean it took that long to actually get a payment???  That wouldn’t surprise

me!!

Dorothy

Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ]

On Behalf Of Rick Kipp

Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 8:48

PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

I've been on 100% Social Security Disability in

05/2007. Received

back benefits for one year prior. Lump sum payment. Approved in 2.5

months. Though I had an attorney (only specialist in SS benefits in

the area), I didn't need one in the end, and because it all went so

easily and quickly that the attorney just charged me $1,200. Going on

Medicare on May 1, 2008.

Main point is that I may have been lucky, but my GI Doctor had the

right concept, having dealt with this issue a lot. When he was

contacted by Social Security, he was adamant about 2 main issues.

One, the HCV with all of the physical side effects that would last

forever. Second was about the mental issues. He had put me on

antidepressants. He also had me on Lactulose for lack of mental

acquity. So he stressed all my negative abilities, like bending,

lifting, walking, driving, fatique and general malaise and inability

to work. Then he talked about the long term mental prognosis being

not good at all. The constant brain farts, getting lost in stores and

while driving, lack of ability to process thoughts normally and

general mental fatigue as well as the physicl fatique. My PCP backed

it all up.

So to me, the Doctors involved are far more important than the

attorneys. They went from the medications I was on, and explained

each one and it's purpose in my healthcare. Plus the fact that most

of this was expected for a lifetime if not for the long term.

So I hope your on lots of meds! Apply asap, as they'll only go back 1

year from date of eligibility for backpay. Another idea is that you

could alway apply yourself, if you feel your Dr. is going to fight

for you, then maybe get rejected, then reapply with an attorney. Let

us know your thoughts and progress. I would discuss all this with

your Dr. before you see the attorney, if possible.

>

> I went through an attorney and my claim was based on a combination

of hep-c,

> fibromyalgia and IBD. I was denied and got an attorney for the

appeal. It

> took over 3 years but I had my appeal last January. I was not

happy with my

> attorney and had I not spoken up during the process, probably

would have

> lost. As it was, they made some kind of deal that shaved off a

year of my

> back-pay benefits - which BTW, in my state anyway, arrives in

installments, not one

> lump sum as I had been led to believe. Once you win your appeal,

your

> attorney is paid their cut off of the top, and what is left, is

meted out in

> installments. This part might be different depending on what

state you live in.

>

> Having Medicare has been a blessing!

>

> But you stand a much better shot - you've tried to treat, you have

severe

> rheumatoid problems, but the most important thing is to have your

neurologist's

> opinion and reports. I can't tell you how much that counts! One

of the

> secrets from folks who have successfully done it themselves is to

bury them

> with paperwork. Make and send them copies of EVERYTHING and get

as many

> doctor's recommendations as you can.

>

> Also, you might have already seen the list of " approved

disabilities " in

> your reading - it's somewhere on SS's site.

>

> Good luck,

>

> Chris

>

>

>

> In a message dated 3/21/2008 6:25:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

> dorv@... writes:

>

> I’m meeting with an attorney next week so I suppose I can see

what they have

> to say †" I can always decide then. It kills me to fork over

money if I can

> do it myself. Particularly if my RA would qualify me without too

much of a

> fight. I can see if I was basing my claim on HCV or a back injury

or

> something, but I do have peripheral neuropathy and RA. I saw my

neurologist today

> and he’s the one who’s been encouraging me to file for months

now.

>

>

>

>

> **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video

on AOL

> Home.

> (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?

ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

>

Guest guest

LOLOL, They are a mare's nest to deal with, to be sure. Washington has gotten far better, at least in some offices. I also have IBD and bad varicose veins, the two things that tipped the scales for the judge. Also, depression, I have a friend in CT who was a bus driver and got her SS because of her depression. I didn't once mention the Hep C, judge didn't even know I had it. But I got it and I'm thankful. I'll never be rich, but it sure helps at the end of the month to have what I get.

Sharon

You had a GREAT attorney! And that's wonderful that you got your money in a lump sum - I still haven't figured out how that works....... I also was very confused about the process and thought that it would be easier to have an attorney. They were great in all the official stuff, but when it came to representing me, they didn't do so well - then again, I really didn't have much "evidence" - my hep c was at 1/1, fibro is difficult for a lot of judge's to understand and I didn't have any doctor's recommendations. I was denied SS because their view was that as a former data entry type person, that I could still perform some sort of work because I was sitting down most of the time.

I pretty much just told the judge (and they also had some kind of vocational specialist in attendance.) how it was. The IBD, the fatigue, etc. was all just too much to deal with - I even told him about having to put in a request to change my desk so that I could be nearer to the bathroom at my last job...... I might add that I squirmed repeatedly in my chair for the whole hearing - which took about 15-20 minutes. He eventually came right out and said that he found me disabled but from "this date" instead of the year earlier. My attorney was so excited that he pressed me to take it - he had already given up on winning my case before we got into the courtroom.

I started receiving payments a few months later (though it might be sooner where you are as SS lost my current address...) and got my Medicare Card, as well as a state Medicaid card in October.

I dread calling SS for anything and our office here is a nightmare - take a number and wait the whole day type thing. I still have a payment or two coming but I've lost track - one day I'll check my bank balance and find a direct deposit from them - their letter concerning this usually arrives a week later. But, at least I have it!

Anyway, it's interesting to read other's experiences with the "process"

Good luck to all!

Chris

Guest guest

Your right in that the application date is when the clock

is " marked " , I believe. However, you are eligible for prior pay based

on you Dr.'s recommendation, and SS's acceptance. You can actually

apply for greater than 1 year prior benefits, but it gets tougher.

The local SS office here gave me a lot of ideas and advice about what

to apply for and how. This wonderful woman said it sounds like I was

eligible for the " Full Monty " ! I did receive one back payment of

$17,090. Call your local office and just casually explain your

circumstances and see what they think. Just try to find someone on

your side who understands the process.

-- In Hepatitis_C_Central , Dorothy wrote:

>

> Rick †" how does that work? If you were approved in 2 ½ months,

how did you get one year back benefits? Doesn’t the clock start

ticking as of the application date? Wouldn’t that make you

eligible for 2 ½ months worth of benefits?>

>

> I think that my case is complicated enough that I need the attorney

so I’m not going to try to unravel it myself. I haven’t worked

in 10 ½ months; however, I was on unemployment part of that time

until I filed for state short term disability last October. It was

my hope to go to work once I finished the HCV tx, but the RA is

making that look like less of a probability.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don’t get it how you can get a

year back benefits after only 2 ½ months or maybe you mean it took

that long to actually get a payment??? That wouldn’t surprise me!!

Guest guest

Very interesting.  Then I would think I

should qualify from last October when I originally filed for state disability. 

Thanks for the info!!

Dorothy

Hepatitis_C_Central

Behalf Of Rick Kipp

Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 9:41

PM

To:

Hepatitis_C_Central

Your right in that the application date is when the

clock

is " marked " , I believe. However, you are eligible for prior pay based

on you Dr.'s recommendation, and SS's acceptance. You can actually

apply for greater than 1 year prior benefits, but it gets tougher.

The local SS office here gave me a lot of ideas and advice about what

to apply for and how. This wonderful woman said it sounds like I was

eligible for the " Full Monty " ! I did receive one back payment of

$17,090. Call your local office and just casually explain your

circumstances and see what they think. Just try to find someone on

your side who understands the process.

-- In Hepatitis_C_Central ,

Dorothy wrote:

>

> Rick †" how does that work? If you were approved in 2 ½

months,

how did you get one year back benefits? Doesn’t the clock start

ticking as of the application date? Wouldn’t that make you

eligible for 2 ½ months worth of benefits?>

>

> I think that my case is complicated enough that I need the attorney

so I’m not going to try to unravel it myself. I

haven’t worked

in 10 ½ months; however, I was on unemployment part of that time

until I filed for state short term disability last October. It was

my hope to go to work once I finished the HCV tx, but the RA is

making that look like less of a probability.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don’t get it how you can get a

year back benefits after only 2 ½ months or maybe you mean it took

that long to actually get a payment??? That wouldn’t surprise

me!!

Guest guest

Dorothy, that's what I was told, that my retro would start the day I first filed. And that's what I got. My lawyer got 5000 plus change and I got 13,000 plus change. Not too bad....

Very interesting. Then I would think I should qualify from last October when I originally filed for state disability. Thanks for the info!!

Dorothy