RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re: What cows eat...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A cow is a metabolic living being and when you study good health you look at all aspects of their lives. As long as they are in balance they do well. The minute they are out of balance, blot, ketoses, milk fever they have problems. It was found that much of a change in diet and input affected the metabolic rate of the cow. I don't think it matters if they live their lives on a small farm or a large one. Good health is good health and being efficient is sometimes the best way to go. Not all large herds are kept in poor conditions. I get calves from a 350 cow farm that is 90% pasture based and their animals do very well.

I think that research is coming from a factory farm mindset wherethe cow is simply something to be abused, used, and thrown away. Takeall you can get mentality. When they only get a lactation or two theyaren't willing to give up on any milk, or they push the cows so hardwith the garbage they feed and the hormone injections it can be hardto dry up.I use all bull breeding and sometimes when bumping for a calf it ishard to tell or the cow is milking fairly well and one gets less than2 months. I can always tell when they freshen that the cow milks lessor isn't in as good of condition, etc. I'm a firm believer in atleast 60 days and sometimes longer if conditions warrant. Cheyenne>> > I have been doing some reading and there are studies that showthat 60 days dry is to long and has a negative impact on the cow. They are recommending 20 to 30 days. This causes less metabolicchanges in the cow and improves the production on the next lactation. > > >

Guest guest

A cow is a metabolic living being and when you study good health you look at all aspects of their lives. As long as they are in balance they do well. The minute they are out of balance, blot, ketoses, milk fever they have problems. It was found that much of a change in diet and input affected the metabolic rate of the cow. I don't think it matters if they live their lives on a small farm or a large one. Good health is good health and being efficient is sometimes the best way to go. Not all large herds are kept in poor conditions. I get calves from a 350 cow farm that is 90% pasture based and their animals do very well.

I think that research is coming from a factory farm mindset wherethe cow is simply something to be abused, used, and thrown away. Takeall you can get mentality. When they only get a lactation or two theyaren't willing to give up on any milk, or they push the cows so hardwith the garbage they feed and the hormone injections it can be hardto dry up.I use all bull breeding and sometimes when bumping for a calf it ishard to tell or the cow is milking fairly well and one gets less than2 months. I can always tell when they freshen that the cow milks lessor isn't in as good of condition, etc. I'm a firm believer in atleast 60 days and sometimes longer if conditions warrant. Cheyenne>> > I have been doing some reading and there are studies that showthat 60 days dry is to long and has a negative impact on the cow. They are recommending 20 to 30 days. This causes less metabolicchanges in the cow and improves the production on the next lactation. > > >

Guest guest

Guest guest

I just started reading a magazine call Progressive Dairyman. It is geared toward large commercial dairy's but the information in most cases is good. I also get Grass Farmer which has lots of good info. Someone asked about what breed they should get. The March issue breaks down all of the dairy breeds with a lot of really good info. It has also had a very good article on raising calves. I have been raising calves for about 15 years and milking for about 10. I have a good idea of what is good info and what is not. I like both of these magazines.

Chris

Christipaul Farm

Lic. Grade A Milk

Hi

Thanks for this info. Could you direct me to some of what you have been reading about 20-30 days dry vs 60 days? I'm learning so much and it is very fun.

Dona

Guest guest

I just started reading a magazine call Progressive Dairyman. It is geared toward large commercial dairy's but the information in most cases is good. I also get Grass Farmer which has lots of good info. Someone asked about what breed they should get. The March issue breaks down all of the dairy breeds with a lot of really good info. It has also had a very good article on raising calves. I have been raising calves for about 15 years and milking for about 10. I have a good idea of what is good info and what is not. I like both of these magazines.

Chris

Christipaul Farm

Lic. Grade A Milk

Hi

Thanks for this info. Could you direct me to some of what you have been reading about 20-30 days dry vs 60 days? I'm learning so much and it is very fun.

Dona

Guest guest

Chris

Christipaul Farm

Lic. Grade A Milk

Hi

Dona

Guest guest

Well I guess this is more of an experience thing. The cow I am milking now is at the end of her fifth lactation and I have always brought the bull in at 30 days and as far a drying up I usually do them all at the same time so I can get a break so some get a little more time some a little less. The last cow I milk was 16 yrs old when I retired her. I am not all pasture yet, we are getting close this year. I feed a large assortment of foods. I also feed some grain, this is just a fact of life right now. I have customers that try others milk but they always come back to me and say mine is sweeter and tastes better. So I guess my point is that you have to do what works for you but you have to know that there are all kinds of possibilities and that there isn't one fixed model that you have to have to make it work.

Chris

Hi I agree with the others that the study must be from a factory farming model and not taking the health of the cows into account. In fact I hear that quite a few farms in the US are now not attempting to get the cows incalf a second time, they just keep using that hormone to keep them milking until they die or burn out which is averaging about 1.4 yrs. So be careful when reading studies.Just look at the breed societies as a guide on mating management. For well over 100 years all over the world they base all their statistics and records for their cows on a maximum of 305 days production per year. I take that to mean that over time they assessed that this is the maximum they could push the cows both productively and sustainably.RayNZ Jeneraytions Organic Dairy FarmRay & Ridings

Guest guest

Well I guess this is more of an experience thing. The cow I am milking now is at the end of her fifth lactation and I have always brought the bull in at 30 days and as far a drying up I usually do them all at the same time so I can get a break so some get a little more time some a little less. The last cow I milk was 16 yrs old when I retired her. I am not all pasture yet, we are getting close this year. I feed a large assortment of foods. I also feed some grain, this is just a fact of life right now. I have customers that try others milk but they always come back to me and say mine is sweeter and tastes better. So I guess my point is that you have to do what works for you but you have to know that there are all kinds of possibilities and that there isn't one fixed model that you have to have to make it work.

Chris

Hi I agree with the others that the study must be from a factory farming model and not taking the health of the cows into account. In fact I hear that quite a few farms in the US are now not attempting to get the cows incalf a second time, they just keep using that hormone to keep them milking until they die or burn out which is averaging about 1.4 yrs. So be careful when reading studies.Just look at the breed societies as a guide on mating management. For well over 100 years all over the world they base all their statistics and records for their cows on a maximum of 305 days production per year. I take that to mean that over time they assessed that this is the maximum they could push the cows both productively and sustainably.RayNZ Jeneraytions Organic Dairy FarmRay & Ridings

Guest guest

Chris

Guest guest

In the archives there should be a thread about hormones in late pregnancy milk that you may want to read over. Was very interesting.

Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadagdchik@..."The person who wants something will find a way. The person who doesn’t will find an excuse."

I have been doing some reading and there are studies that show that 60 days dry is to long and has a negative impact on the cow. They are recommending 20 to 30 days. This causes less metabolic changes in the cow and improves the production on the next lactation.

They can for a while, but they should be dried up about 60 days beforecalving.

I usually put the bull in at 30 days which would be the first of Feb. I like using a bull because he never misses. I have had AI come three months in a row and still not get the cow bred. I even had a small bull this year and a very large cow and he still got the job done at the right time.

Chris

Here's a typical cycle: Say your cow has her calf on Jan 1, so you startmilking her then. About mid-March, you'll breed her again as soon asshe comes into heat, but continue milking her. --

Guest guest

In the archives there should be a thread about hormones in late pregnancy milk that you may want to read over. Was very interesting.

Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadagdchik@..."The person who wants something will find a way. The person who doesn’t will find an excuse."

I have been doing some reading and there are studies that show that 60 days dry is to long and has a negative impact on the cow. They are recommending 20 to 30 days. This causes less metabolic changes in the cow and improves the production on the next lactation.

I usually put the bull in at 30 days which would be the first of Feb. I like using a bull because he never misses. I have had AI come three months in a row and still not get the cow bred. I even had a small bull this year and a very large cow and he still got the job done at the right time.

Chris

Here's a typical cycle: Say your cow has her calf on Jan 1, so you startmilking her then. About mid-March, you'll breed her again as soon asshe comes into heat, but continue milking her. --

Guest guest

Chris

Guest guest

Thanks I will take a look.

Chris

Chris

Guest guest

Chris

Chris

Guest guest

Chris

Chris

Guest guest

" Dona McGuire " writes:

> When it comes to bulls... is it best to have one yourself? Is it

> expensive to have one come to breed with your cow? I'm assuming you

> don't want to breed the offspring with each other.

Right. Which means you need to find a new bull every two years, when

it's time to breed the daughters from the last bull. Your own bull

would be way more trouble than he's worth for just one or two cows. You

still have to feed him and keep him somewhere the other 360 days of the

year when he's not breeding your cow. Dairy bulls are known for their

meanness and unpredictability, so they need strong fences and kids kept

away from them.

So, you either rent a bull from a neighbor, or use AI. Your vet can

tell you what AI will cost, and give you catalogs so you can pick out a

bull with the qualities you like. If you bought your cows from a

conventional dairy, they may have been bred for size and milk quantity

over everything else, so you might want to pick a smaller bull with

better feet or butterfat in his genetic line, for example.

If you have a neighbor with a bull, just ask what it'd cost to borrow

him. Might be you could even trade something for it.

One little thing: most dairy farmers stick to purebred animals. (There

doesn't seem to be much reason for this except tradition; in other

livestock like hogs and beef cattle, cross-breeding is known to produce

hardier animals.) So, if you think you might ever sell any of your

calves as breeding or milking stock, you'll want to stick with the same

breed. My folks have had a few cross-bred cows from time to

time--usually because a bull got in the wrong pasture at the wrong

time--and they still give milk, sometimes very well, but they aren't

worth much if they wanted to sell them.

--

-- aaron.baugher.biz

Guest guest

" Dona McGuire " writes:

away from them.

--

-- aaron.baugher.biz

Guest guest

" Dona McGuire " writes:

away from them.

--

-- aaron.baugher.biz

Guest guest

I raise a new bull every year. We eat the one from the current year. I get pure bred from AI bull calves from a dairy that I get calves from. She will even tell me if a bull calf has good qualities. The one I have should improve my udders. One of my first fresheners came from imported semen. She is a really nice cow and the gal I got the bull from never got a heifer from that semen. I find that keeping a bull is well worth it and this year I only bred thee cows. My bull did better and I rented him out to two other places in the same time I used him. When he went he was 1035 lbs live weight.

Chris

"Dona McGuire" <mom25angelsnebonet> writes:> When it comes to bulls... is it best to have one yourself? Is it> expensive to have one come to breed with your cow? I'm assuming you> don't want to breed the offspring with each other.Right. Which means you need to find a new bull every two years, whenit's time to breed the daughters from the last bull. Your own bullwould be way more trouble than he's worth for just one or two cows. Youstill have to feed him and keep him somewhere the other 360 days of theyear when he's not breeding your cow. Dairy bulls are known for theirmeanness and unpredictability, so they need strong fences and kids keptaway from them.So, you either rent a bull from a neighbor, or use AI. Your vet cantell you what AI will cost, and give you catalogs so you can pick out abull with the qualities you like. If you bought your cows from aconventional dairy, they may have been bred for size and milk quantityover everything else, so you might want to pick a smaller bull withbetter feet or butterfat in his genetic line, for example.If you have a neighbor with a bull, just ask what it'd cost to borrowhim. Might be you could even trade something for it.One little thing: most dairy farmers stick to purebred animals. (Theredoesn't seem to be much reason for this except tradition; in otherlivestock like hogs and beef cattle, cross-breeding is known to producehardier animals.) So, if you think you might ever sell any of yourcalves as breeding or milking stock, you'll want to stick with the samebreed. My folks have had a few cross-bred cows from time totime--usually because a bull got in the wrong pasture at the wrongtime--and they still give milk, sometimes very well, but they aren'tworth much if they wanted to sell them.-- -- aaron.baugher.biz

Guest guest

I raise a new bull every year. We eat the one from the current year. I get pure bred from AI bull calves from a dairy that I get calves from. She will even tell me if a bull calf has good qualities. The one I have should improve my udders. One of my first fresheners came from imported semen. She is a really nice cow and the gal I got the bull from never got a heifer from that semen. I find that keeping a bull is well worth it and this year I only bred thee cows. My bull did better and I rented him out to two other places in the same time I used him. When he went he was 1035 lbs live weight.

Chris

"Dona McGuire" <mom25angelsnebonet> writes:> When it comes to bulls... is it best to have one yourself? Is it> expensive to have one come to breed with your cow? I'm assuming you> don't want to breed the offspring with each other.Right. Which means you need to find a new bull every two years, whenit's time to breed the daughters from the last bull. Your own bullwould be way more trouble than he's worth for just one or two cows. Youstill have to feed him and keep him somewhere the other 360 days of theyear when he's not breeding your cow. Dairy bulls are known for theirmeanness and unpredictability, so they need strong fences and kids keptaway from them.So, you either rent a bull from a neighbor, or use AI. Your vet cantell you what AI will cost, and give you catalogs so you can pick out abull with the qualities you like. If you bought your cows from aconventional dairy, they may have been bred for size and milk quantityover everything else, so you might want to pick a smaller bull withbetter feet or butterfat in his genetic line, for example.If you have a neighbor with a bull, just ask what it'd cost to borrowhim. Might be you could even trade something for it.One little thing: most dairy farmers stick to purebred animals. (Theredoesn't seem to be much reason for this except tradition; in otherlivestock like hogs and beef cattle, cross-breeding is known to producehardier animals.) So, if you think you might ever sell any of yourcalves as breeding or milking stock, you'll want to stick with the samebreed. My folks have had a few cross-bred cows from time totime--usually because a bull got in the wrong pasture at the wrongtime--and they still give milk, sometimes very well, but they aren'tworth much if they wanted to sell them.-- -- aaron.baugher.biz

Guest guest

Chris

Guest guest

You need to set your timing and then it will work. I get my calves in Aug to Oct. That is when my cows come fresh and I have a lot of milk. I keep them through the winter for sale in the spring. I keep a bull from these. He will be about a year old in Sept of the next year and I will use him to breed my cows. I have always raised bulls for meat as they grow faster. They do need a little more care, you need good electric fence and you need to give them things to play with. They can be very destructive if bored. It is better to raise two than one alone. If you just wanted to do one you could let him run with the cows as they are bred. I have done it both ways. I do Brown Swiss I would not raise a Jersey bull. I usually can get a bull to 1300 lbs by a year or so and that is a good hanging weight as well. I have been doing it this way for about 8 years. I hate AI and I am always late when it does work.

Chris

This is interesting. So a bull born in the Spring is old enough to breed your cow in the fall? How many months old do you usually butcher him at? I plan to use a goat kid born this year (if one is a buckling) to breed another doe we have in the fall, and then wether him for a cart/pack goat. I never considered it for a bull though. Are they agresive by this age? Thanks.VickieMI> I raise a new bull every year. We eat the one from the current year. I get pure bred from AI bull calves from a dairy that I get calves from. She will even tell me if a bull calf has good qualities. The one I have should improve my udders. One of my first fresheners came from imported semen. She is a really nice cow and the gal I got the bull from never got a heifer from that semen. I find that keeping a bull is well worth it and this year I only bred thee cows. My bull did better and I rented him out to two other places in the same time I used him. When he went he was 1035 lbs live weight.> Chris

Guest guest

You need to set your timing and then it will work. I get my calves in Aug to Oct. That is when my cows come fresh and I have a lot of milk. I keep them through the winter for sale in the spring. I keep a bull from these. He will be about a year old in Sept of the next year and I will use him to breed my cows. I have always raised bulls for meat as they grow faster. They do need a little more care, you need good electric fence and you need to give them things to play with. They can be very destructive if bored. It is better to raise two than one alone. If you just wanted to do one you could let him run with the cows as they are bred. I have done it both ways. I do Brown Swiss I would not raise a Jersey bull. I usually can get a bull to 1300 lbs by a year or so and that is a good hanging weight as well. I have been doing it this way for about 8 years. I hate AI and I am always late when it does work.

Chris

This is interesting. So a bull born in the Spring is old enough to breed your cow in the fall? How many months old do you usually butcher him at? I plan to use a goat kid born this year (if one is a buckling) to breed another doe we have in the fall, and then wether him for a cart/pack goat. I never considered it for a bull though. Are they agresive by this age? Thanks.VickieMI> I raise a new bull every year. We eat the one from the current year. I get pure bred from AI bull calves from a dairy that I get calves from. She will even tell me if a bull calf has good qualities. The one I have should improve my udders. One of my first fresheners came from imported semen. She is a really nice cow and the gal I got the bull from never got a heifer from that semen. I find that keeping a bull is well worth it and this year I only bred thee cows. My bull did better and I rented him out to two other places in the same time I used him. When he went he was 1035 lbs live weight.> Chris