RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Quick Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

To be realistic, you should plan on a second look surgery sometime in the next six to twelve months. Of course, if the cholesteatoma turns out to be small and well defined or if the used the Canal Wall Down procedure, you may not have another surgery. At least if you are planning on it, you won't be disappointed if you don't need a second! And yes, you should plan on seeing the surgeon regularly, usually more like six months after everything settles down, but matt did post he only goes yearly now.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Bradford Burt <bradford_burt08@...> wrote:

I'm new to the Cholesteatoma world,(surgery June 8th) so I am not sure what to expect.  I read with great " enthusiasm " what everyone has to say here.  It has been a great help....believe me.

My question is this though...and I am not trying to make light of anyones situation here...I am honestly not, I just don't know.

Now, I know this is a support group for Cholesteatoma sufferers, and as it should be folks talk about thier issues and fears.  That said, (I dislike that term but...), that said am I, or could I be in for a long uncomfortable life and possibly dangerous fight? 

Reason I ask is this, I'm thinking to myself, okay they yank the ctoma out, take my infected mastoid bone pieces out,rebuild my little bones and I am all done except for some 3-6 month check up sessions with my doc.  Is this what I can most likely expect?  Or am in for something more than this?

Again, thanks everyone and good luck.

Brad

Guest guest

Hi Brad,

I am new to this thing too. I am 31 years old, and have my first surgery next week, the 25th. It is overwhelming reading many of the posts where people talk about the many surgeries they have gone through, but at the same time I find it kind of empowering. If they can do it, so can we!!

I am hopeful that this one surgery will be it for me, but I think like everyone else on here, no one really knows. My Doctor seems to think that people who get the acquired type (not born with it) are less likely to have recurrence, but I have also read articles that said otherwise. How old are you? How long have you been having problems with your ear?

Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery. I will let you know how things go with me, after the 25th.

Holly

From: Bradford Burt <bradford_burt08@...>Subject: Quick Questioncholesteatoma Date: Friday, May 20, 2011, 2:45 AM

I'm new to the Cholesteatoma world,(surgery June 8th) so I am not sure what to expect. I read with great "enthusiasm" what everyone has to say here. It has been a great help....believe me.

My question is this though...and I am not trying to make light of anyones situation here...I am honestly not, I just don't know.

Now, I know this is a support group for Cholesteatoma sufferers, and as it should be folks talk about thier issues and fears. That said, (I dislike that term but...), that said am I, or could I be in for a long uncomfortable life and possibly dangerous fight?

Reason I ask is this, I'm thinking to myself, okay they yank the ctoma out, take my infected mastoid bone pieces out,rebuild my little bones and I am all done except for some 3-6 month check up sessions with my doc. Is this what I can most likely expect? Or am in for something more than this?

Brad

Guest guest

I am 48. I have had ear problems since I was kid. I had the "tubes" put in my ear. I know my eardrum has had a hole in it for many years. I've never had any pain at all really. About 4 years ago, I started having the intermentent nasty drainage from my ear....being an idiot, I just decided to take care of it now.

I know when the doc. looked in the ear he said "oooh, you have a very nice sized pouch" or something like that. This leads me to believe that my ctoma could be advanced. The first ear doc, (not the surgeon) said there was consideralbe "thinning" of Mastoid. At least that's what I think he said.

Thanks,

Brad

From: Bradford Burt <bradford_burt08@...>Subject: Quick Questioncholesteatoma Date: Friday, May 20, 2011, 2:45 AM

I'm new to the Cholesteatoma world,(surgery June 8th) so I am not sure what to expect. I read with great "enthusiasm" what everyone has to say here. It has been a great help....believe me.

Now, I know this is a support group for Cholesteatoma sufferers, and as it should be folks talk about thier issues and fears. That said, (I dislike that term but...), that said am I, or could I be in for a long uncomfortable life and possibly dangerous fight?

Reason I ask is this, I'm thinking to myself, okay they yank the ctoma out, take my infected mastoid bone pieces out,rebuild my little bones and I am all done except for some 3-6 month check up sessions with my doc. Is this what I can most likely expect? Or am in for something more than this?

Brad