RemedySpot.com

Quick Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Please don't assume that all housewives don't have a degree.  I am a " housewife " and I have a college degree and was a CEO when I left work to become a stay-at-home mom.  Just because someone is a housewife, doesn't mean they are not educated.  :)  Just something to think about.  :)

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:20 PM, G <fnofsports@...> wrote:

LOL no, in my experience 90% of aides seem to be housewifes looking for a couple extra dollars without a college degree.  My stepmom tried to become an aide and she is so unqualifed for it.  With that being said, they are frequently good at what they do, but they won't be trained in any special way.

Subject: ( ) Quick question 

Ok,,,

Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to deal with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an ASD?  Or can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

Thanks.

It really is simple.  Just treat others kindly and with respect.

Robin

Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

-- McAllisterFB:  www.facebook.com/healfrominsideoutTwitter:  www.twitter.com/healinginside

Blog:  http://healingfrominsideout.blogspot.comReiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. OzHerbal consultations

Guest guest

Wasn't trying to. But generally in my experience (as a grade school student and as a teachers eduation student who was there with some former aides) most of the houseswifes that work as aides aren't former CEOs. Most former CEOs are looking to make a lot more then what an aide makes I bet.

From: cjrlmc@...Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:48:09 -0600Subject: Re: ( ) Quick question

Please don't assume that all housewives don't have a degree. I am a "housewife" and I have a college degree and was a CEO when I left work to become a stay-at-home mom. Just because someone is a housewife, doesn't mean they are not educated. :) Just something to think about. :)

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:20 PM, G <fnofsportshotmail> wrote:

LOL no, in my experience 90% of aides seem to be housewifes looking for a couple extra dollars without a college degree. My stepmom tried to become an aide and she is so unqualifed for it. With that being said, they are frequently good at what they do, but they won't be trained in any special way.

From: jrisjs Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:50 -0800Subject: ( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to deal with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an ASD? Or can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

Thanks.

It really is simple. Just treat others kindly and with respect.

Robin

-- McAllisterFB: www.facebook.com/healfrominsideoutTwitter: www.twitter.com/healinginsideBlog: http://healingfrominsideout.blogspot.comReiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. OzHerbal consultations

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Guest guest

How insulting!!!! I am a Paraprofessional and have been working in the school district for 4 1/2 years. In order to be hired you need a degree or must pass a test!!!! In addition, we need 20 hours of training each year!

So, please don't assume they hire just anyone or that Paras (aide, teacher assistants) are just "housewives" looking for a job...

You have made both housewives (stay at home moms) and Paras seem like "dummies". And, I graduated Cum Laude from college. I am proud of my degree and proud of my job. I take it very seriously as do the other 3 in my school.

jan

"Faith, hope and Love and the greatest of these is Love"

From: McAllister <cjrlmc@...> Sent: Wed, March 10, 2010 7:48:09 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Quick question

Please don't assume that all housewives don't have a degree. I am a "housewife" and I have a college degree and was a CEO when I left work to become a stay-at-home mom. Just because someone is a housewife, doesn't mean they are not educated. :) Just something to think about. :)

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:20 PM, G <fnofsportshotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

LOL no, in my experience 90% of aides seem to be housewifes looking for a couple extra dollars without a college degree. My stepmom tried to become an aide and she is so unqualifed for it. With that being said, they are frequently good at what they do, but they won't be trained in any special way.

From: jrisjs (DOT) comDate: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:50 -0800Subject: ( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to deal with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an ASD? Or can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

Thanks.

Robin

-- McAllisterFB: www.facebook. com/healfrominsi deoutTwitter: www.twitter. com/healinginsid eBlog: http://healingfromi nsideout. blogspot. comReiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. OzHerbal consultations

Guest guest

Man...you guys are real downers...paraprofessionals are NOT a "quick fix". It is my job....and you really can't assume all Paras are the same or a "quick" fix.

In PA we need 20 hours of training each year. I was also sent to a seminar on Asperger's which was Awesome!

When I was hired, you needed a degree. Now it has changed ...you need a degree or must pass a test.

Jan

From: and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> Sent: Wed, March 10, 2010 4:10:05 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Quick question

Yep, it does, .

I was just trying to see how it is in other districts/states. Not good, if you ask me.

Robin

From: and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs (DOT) com>Subject: ( ) Quick question Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 8:23 PM

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

Boy, I sure am sorry I started this thread!! ha ha.

I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks. I think he's just probably in the same "place" as my district is. From the aides that I know, as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official training. Some have gone to college,,,,,some have degree's......I have too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with ASD's. They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some cash....which isn't a bad thing. Many, as he stated, are good at what they do. Have good hearts.

From what I'm hearing/reading,,,,,,some districts DO require training. Mine doesn't. Sadly.That's all I wanted to know, when I started this.

Robin

From: jrisjs (DOT) comDate: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:50 -0800Subject: ( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

-- McAllisterFB: www.facebook. com/healfrominsi deoutTwitter: www.twitter. com/healinginsid eBlog: http://healingfromi nsideout. blogspot. comReiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. OzHerbal consultations

Guest guest

Oh Jan,,,,hee hee. Not trying to be a downer.

Been asking around in our school today a bit and there are a very few that are considered "para's". The rest of the ladies here are considered "aides".

The para's have had to attend a couple courses on "spec ed" issues. They said it was like an overview of LD's, CD's and behavior issues. None of them have attended real ASD training, though.

As for the "aides", they have no "ASD" or any other kind of training.

Hopefully job requirements here will change some day.....

Robin

From: and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs (DOT) com>Subject: ( ) Quick question Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 8:23 PM

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

What she said, I wasn't trying to be offensive, but in my history many paras I have had in my classes (never mine but I had a couple classmates, mostly HFA, in my classes over the years who had them) were generally not that dedicated and well trained, it might be different where you are, who knows. One of the paras would just sit and talk to the teacher the entire class even during shop class where the kid was being bullied pretty bad (as was I for that matter).

From: jrisjs@...Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:57:30 -0800Subject: Re: ( ) Quick question

I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks. I think he's just probably in the same "place" as my district is. From the aides that I know, as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official training. Some have gone to college,,,,,some have degree's......I have too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with ASD's. They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some cash....which isn't a bad thing. Many, as he stated, are good at what they do. Have good hearts.

From what I'm hearing/reading,,,,,,some districts DO require training. Mine doesn't. Sadly.That's all I wanted to know, when I started this.

Robin

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.

Guest guest

LOL - Jan,

I our school and many others around us - they even have SAHM as sub teachers. the ones that are available here don't have an education and the kids even notice. One sub didn't understand the lesson so she had the children one by one stand up and teach the class. when they asked her for help with something - she got another student to help. they caught on really quick! she was in that class as a sub for 3 weeks. The kids were making jokes about her. they even have teachers talking about the subs - right in front of them.

It's not a bad thing for a stay at home person to sub or work as an aid in school - if you can at least do that grade level that you are teaching. LOL... if not, maybe they can help out in the office - and most can't even do that!

Rose

From: and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 3:57:30 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Quick question

I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks. I think he's just probably in the same "place" as my district is. From the aides that I know, as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official training. Some have gone to college,,,,, some have degree's.... ..I have too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with ASD's. They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some cash....which isn't a bad thing. Many, as he stated, are good at what they do. Have good hearts.

From what I'm hearing/reading, ,,,,,some districts DO require training. Mine doesn't. Sadly.That's all I wanted to know, when I started this.

Robin

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

Same here (sc), a sub only has to be 18 here too and take a day long

" training " . However in fl where I am from you needed 30 college credit

hrs to be a sub. So aide probably varies by state as do the subs

On 3/12/10, Rose <beachbodytan2002@...> wrote:

>     LOL - Jan,

>     I our school and many others around us - they even have SAHM as sub

> teachers.  the ones that are available here don't have an education and the

> kids even notice.  One sub didn't understand the lesson so she had the

> children one by one stand up and teach the class.  when they asked her for

> help with something - she got another student to help. they caught on really

> quick!  she was in that class as a sub for 3 weeks.  The kids were making

> jokes about her.  they even have teachers talking about the subs - right in

> front of them.

> It's not a bad thing for a stay at home person to sub or work as an aid in

> school - if you can at least do that grade level that you are teaching.

> LOL... if not, maybe they can help out in the office - and most can't even

> do that!

> Rose

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...>

>

> Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 3:57:30 PM

> Subject: Re: ( ) Quick question

>

>

> Boy, I sure am sorry I started this thread!! ha ha.

>

> I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks.  I think he's just

> probably in the same " place " as my district is.  From the aides that I know,

> as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official

> training.  Some have gone to college,,,,, some have degree's.... ..I have

> too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with

> ASD's.  They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make

> some cash....which isn't a bad thing.  Many, as he stated, are good at what

> they do.  Have good hearts.

>

> From what I'm hearing/reading, ,,,,,some districts DO require training.

> Mine doesn't.  Sadly.

> That's all I wanted to know, when I started this.

>

> It really is simple.  Just treat others kindly and with respect.

> Robin

>

>

>

>>

>>

>>>LOL no, in my experience 90% of aides seem to be housewifes looking for a

>>> couple extra dollars without a college degree.  My stepmom tried to

>>> become an aide and she is so unqualifed for it.  With that being said,

>>> they are frequently good at what they do, but they won't be trained in

>>> any special way.

>>>

>>>

> ________________________________

>

>>>From: jrisjs (DOT) com

>>>Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:50 -0800

>>>Subject: ( ) Quick question

>>>

>>>

>>>Ok,,,

>>>Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to deal

>>> with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an ASD?  Or

>>> can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

>>>Thanks.

>>>

>>>It really is simple.  Just treat others kindly and with respect.

>>>Robin

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>________________________________

> Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

>>

>>

>>--

>> McAllister

>>FB:  www.facebook. com/healfrominsi deout

>>Twitter:  www.twitter. com/healinginsid e

>>Blog:  http://healingfromi nsideout. blogspot. com

>>Reiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. Oz

>>Herbal consultations

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

--

Sent from my mobile device

-mommy to Emma, Becca, ,

and

Girl Scout cookies are coming!

Guest guest

I just have to reply on not only my behave, but his.. Obviously this struck a cord in some of you. However, people need to realize that for one, no one has the right to make you feel less of a person then what your truly are, so don't get so upset and I know he did not mean for it to come across in a way that is demeaning. Secondly, as a stay at home mom, well educated, and have worked in the school district and continuously volunteer my time, they require paras to pass a test that reminds me of the test you'd take if you were getting your GED, its nothing special or has ANYTHING to do with specific training in SPED or anywhere else. I know a 62 year old who just started as a para. You do a job or have a career because you choose too, but because it just happens to be the only job you could get. If that's the case, then your district needs to think again! Its just like a daycare worker, some are there with good intent and others are

there for a paycheck. Bottom line, there's one or two in every work environment. With that being said, lets get back to the real topic of our ASPIE children and their education.

By the way, I believe that all teachers should have to have some type of special training in the SPED field whether you are a college educated teacher or just a para. It would really benefit everyone. :) You do have to wonder why anyone with a degree would want to get paid less then a teacher, especially since they have a degree. TeamJakobSupport children with Aspergers,With your support their is no limit to Jakob's success!!

From: G <fnofsports@...>Aspergers Treatment Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 9:29:15 PMSubject: RE: ( ) Quick question

What she said, I wasn't trying to be offensive, but in my history many paras I have had in my classes (never mine but I had a couple classmates, mostly HFA, in my classes over the years who had them) were generally not that dedicated and well trained, it might be different where you are, who knows. One of the paras would just sit and talk to the teacher the entire class even during shop class where the kid was being bullied pretty bad (as was I for that matter).

From: jrisjs (DOT) comDate: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:57:30 -0800Subject: Re: ( ) Quick question

I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks. I think he's just probably in the same "place" as my district is. From the aides that I know, as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official training. Some have gone to college,,,,, some have degree's.... ..I have too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with ASD's. They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some cash....which isn't a bad thing. Many, as he stated, are good at what they do. Have good hearts.

From what I'm hearing/reading, ,,,,,some districts DO require training. Mine doesn't. Sadly.That's all I wanted to know, when I started this.

Robin

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

Here in NC, I'm not sure about current PPs because in last years they have been

working on " reform " and starting to require degrees in things.

But it used to be that many PPs didn't have degrees, could be just a 21 yr old

with high school diploma and they would receive some training like first

aid/CPR, basic type trainings, and be taught how to bill/document...but didn't

require official training specific to the child they were working with. More

" learn on the job " and go by the treatment plan as to what goals for child were

and what the PP was supposed to do. I think maybe currently the state is

having them get training specific to a child if they work with them in the

home/community (thru a private provider), but I'm not sure about the school

system. I'm sure it varies in states as to requirements.

It was just in the past few years that finally a teacher had to be certified (?

right word) to teach the subjects (whereas before they could assign a teacher to

teach science/other who never had before).

>

>

>  

> I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks.  I think he's just

probably in the same " place " as my district is.  From the aides that I know,

as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official

training.  Some have gone to college,,,,,some have degree's......I have

too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with

ASD's.  They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some

cash....which isn't a bad thing.  Many, as he stated, are good at what they

do.  Have good hearts.

Guest guest

I know when I was growing up (and I'm 50+) a sub teacher was more or less just

someone to be there during class, they could follow the lesson plan or just have

us read.... Could be a SAHM or a former teacher who came in, etc. We never

expected to learn under a sub unless the teacher had planned to be out and left

the sub instructions and homework to assign, etc.

>

>     LOL - Jan,

>     I our school and many others around us - they even have SAHM as sub

teachers.  the ones that are available here don't have an education and the

kids even notice.  One sub didn't understand the lesson so she had the children

one by one stand up and teach the class.  when they asked her for help with

something - she got another student to help. they caught on really quick!  she

was in that class as a sub for 3 weeks.  The kids were making jokes about

Guest guest

SAHM...omg...at first I didn't know what that stood for ...but got it..stay at home mom...LOL!

I have a college degree and am a para. In PA in order to sub as a teacher one must be Certified Teacher...or get a Emergency Certificate...I was accepted to get the certificate but decided I wanted the Paraprofessional position instead.

Jan

From: Rose <beachbodytan2002@...> Sent: Fri, March 12, 2010 7:29:40 AMSubject: Re: ( ) Quick question

LOL - Jan,

I our school and many others around us - they even have SAHM as sub teachers. the ones that are available here don't have an education and the kids even notice. One sub didn't understand the lesson so she had the children one by one stand up and teach the class. when they asked her for help with something - she got another student to help. they caught on really quick! she was in that class as a sub for 3 weeks. The kids were making jokes about her. they even have teachers talking about the subs - right in front of them.

It's not a bad thing for a stay at home person to sub or work as an aid in school - if you can at least do that grade level that you are teaching. LOL... if not, maybe they can help out in the office - and most can't even do that!

Rose

From: and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs (DOT) com> Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 3:57:30 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Quick question

Robin

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

Well then that para was NOT doing her/his job!!! Yes, I do talk to teachers and to other paras etc. but no way do I ignore my student or the other ones. I don't even let any student in my presence be bullied...I won't tolerate that one bit!!! I have had to talk to students about it. I 've informed others such as monitors and teachers about what was going on. I even walked a student into the lunch room etc. We even sit with our students at lunch....well I sit at the next table with other paras and 2 students. I give my student some space to be a student w/out an adult hovering over him...but then again he is a senior and well liked.

I even wrote 3 students up for bullying. And, then one came to me crying ...about how they would be in trouble...and this is what I said...well, I hope you learn from this...you need to treat other the way you want to be treated. I also told her that next time ...think first before being cruel....

Jan

From: G <fnofsports@...>Aspergers Treatment Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 9:29:15 PMSubject: RE: ( ) Quick question

From: jrisjs (DOT) comDate: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:57:30 -0800Subject: Re: ( ) Quick question

Robin

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

It didn't really " strike a chord " , I wasn't flabbergasted or ticked off.  I just asked to consider what he said as possibly being a judgmental remark, because it sounded like a stereotyping statement.  I was not on the offensive, just wanted him to keep an open mind.  :)  

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM, <teamjakob06@...> wrote:

I just have to reply on not only my behave, but his.. Obviously this struck a cord in some of you. However, people need to realize that for one, no one has the right to make you feel less of a person then what your truly are, so don't get so upset and I know he did not mean for it to come across in a way that is demeaning. Secondly, as a stay at home mom, well educated, and have worked in the school district and continuously volunteer my time, they require paras to pass a test that reminds me of the test you'd take if you were getting your GED, its nothing special or has ANYTHING to do with specific training in SPED or anywhere else. I know a 62 year old who just started as a para. You do a job or have a career because you choose too, but because it just happens to be the only job you could get. If that's the case, then your district needs to think again! Its just like a daycare worker, some are there with good intent and others are

there for a paycheck. Bottom line, there's one or two in every work environment. With that being said, lets get back to the real topic of our ASPIE children and their education.

By the way, I believe that all teachers should have to have some type of special training in the SPED field whether you are a college educated teacher or just a para. It would really benefit everyone. :) You do have to wonder why anyone with a degree would want to get paid less then a teacher, especially since they have a degree.

TeamJakobSupport children with Aspergers,With your support their is no limit to Jakob's success!!

Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 9:29:15 PMSubject: RE: ( ) Quick question 

What she said, I wasn't trying to be offensive, but in my history many paras I have had in my classes (never mine but I had a couple classmates, mostly HFA, in my classes over the years who had them) were generally not that dedicated and well trained, it might be different where you are, who knows.  One of the paras would just sit and talk to the teacher the entire class even during shop class where the kid was being bullied pretty bad (as was I for that matter).  

I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks.  I think he's just probably in the same " place " as my district is.  From the aides that I know, as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official training.  Some have gone to college,,,,, some have degree's.... ..I have too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with ASD's.  They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some cash....which isn't a bad thing.  Many, as he stated, are good at what they do.  Have good hearts.

From what I'm hearing/reading, ,,,,,some districts DO require training.  Mine doesn't.  Sadly.That's all I wanted to know, when I started this. 

Robin

LOL no, in my experience 90% of aides seem to be housewifes looking for a couple extra dollars without a college degree.  My stepmom tried to become an aide and she is so unqualifed for it.  With that being said, they are frequently good at what they do, but they won't be trained in any special way.

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:50 -0800Subject: ( ) Quick question 

Ok,,,

Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to deal with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an ASD?  Or can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

Thanks.

Robin

-- McAllisterFB:  www.facebook. com/healfrominsi deout

Twitter:  www.twitter. com/healinginsid eBlog:  http://healingfromi nsideout. blogspot. com

Reiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. OzHerbal consultations

-- McAllisterFB:  www.facebook.com/healfrominsideoutTwitter:  www.twitter.com/healinginside

Blog:  http://healingfrominsideout.blogspot.comReiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. OzHerbal consultations

Guest guest

I am not angry either...but like you said...keep an open mind...not all School, Para or States are the same. I take my job SERIOUSLY and I advocate for my son even if it meant I would lose my job. I advocate for ALL students and want them to learn to advocate for themselves. I am with them 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. I eat lunch with them ...I sit with them...I help them with their work...I hear their conversations....they come to me with problems...I even do the same work as them...and they love that. But they all know...I DO NOT tolerate BuLLYING!!! And, I will write them up in a second for it. And, I am always learning and growing ....and i know the other 3 para's in my school are the same as me.

So please don't group us all in one...Keep an open mind...and Stay at Home Mom's are not dummies either...many choose that Professions...and let me tell you I admire them....I know I could not do what they do 24/7.

And, I am not mad...I am not angry...I just don't want to be judge or grouped into one lump summary that is not true.

Jan

From: McAllister <cjrlmc@...> Sent: Fri, March 12, 2010 10:47:53 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Quick question

It didn't really "strike a chord", I wasn't flabbergasted or ticked off. I just asked to consider what he said as possibly being a judgmental remark, because it sounded like a stereotyping statement. I was not on the offensive, just wanted him to keep an open mind. :)

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM, <teamjakob06> wrote:

I just have to reply on not only my behave, but his.. Obviously this struck a cord in some of you. However, people need to realize that for one, no one has the right to make you feel less of a person then what your truly are, so don't get so upset and I know he did not mean for it to come across in a way that is demeaning. Secondly, as a stay at home mom, well educated, and have worked in the school district and continuously volunteer my time, they require paras to pass a test that reminds me of the test you'd take if you were getting your GED, its nothing special or has ANYTHING to do with specific training in SPED or anywhere else. I know a 62 year old who just started as a para. You do a job or have a career because you choose too, but because it just happens to be the only job you could get. If that's the case, then your district needs to think again! Its just like a daycare worker, some are there with good intent and others are

there for a paycheck. Bottom line, there's one or two in every work environment. With that being said, lets get back to the real topic of our ASPIE children and their education.

By the way, I believe that all teachers should have to have some type of special training in the SPED field whether you are a college educated teacher or just a para. It would really benefit everyone. :) You do have to wonder why anyone with a degree would want to get paid less then a teacher, especially since they have a degree. TeamJakobSupport children with Aspergers,With your support their is no limit to Jakob's success!!

From: G <fnofsportshotmail (DOT) com>Aspergers TreatmentSent: Thu, March 11, 2010 9:29:15 PMSubject: RE: ( ) Quick question

Robin

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

It was a stereotype statement about housewives/SAHM and aides and

para's. I am a SAHM and thought it was a bit offensive towards people

like me. I am not having a tantrum over it either because it is sure a

common group to bash. So it's not surprising. I agree with .

There are always good para's, good aides, bad ones, in between ones,

etc. It's not any different from any other profession. SAHM's are the

same. Some have graduate degrees, others don't. Some would make great

para's/aides, some won't. One time they had a sped teacher assigned to

my older ds (hfa, dyslexia) who had no clue what autism was about but

he connected with my ds is such a wonderful way. He just had a gift

for working with him. So training can be only a part of a bigger

picture, but important!

As far as school's hiring people who are not that qualified or have no

training, they do that because they can. We've had 1-1 help for two

of our ds's and we have put training in the IEP as well as other

specifics. For my older ds, we specified that they would have one main

aide and could have a sub aide but he would not have more than 2 people

as his aide. The helped with consistency and not lumping him with any

warm body available at that moment vs. having a serious person who had

a real job with him. The job duties were also spelled out in the IEP -

helping him get his work together before leaving each day, getting him

to PE class 5 minutes early to dress out, having someone there during

lunch/recess times, cueing him during specific assignments, noticing

when he was stuck and needed help, etc. So the lack of training is

because nobody has ever pushed them to do more.

The only part we could not affect was changing aides or picking them

out. Seems like someone would get a great aide who connected with

their child really well, then seniority status within the union would

mean they would be gone the next year and replaced with someone else.

But often, if someone worked well with my kids, they were there for a

long while over several years because they did a good job. It was

easier than having to retrain someone else and they knew we would

request training. So consider that when getting an aide or para for

your child. There is also a book out there on training for para's for

students with autism. " How to be a Para Pro: A Comprehensive Training

Manual for Paraprofessionals by Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Ph.D., CCC-SLP "

If you cannot get training in your IEP or find that the training

provided is poor, at least buy a copy of this for your child's aide to

read.

Roxanna

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do

nothing. " E. Burke

( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to

deal with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an

ASD?  Or can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

Thanks.

Robin

------------------------------------------------------------

--

McAllister

FB:  www.facebook. com/healfrominsi deout

Twitter:  www.twitter. com/healinginsid e

Blog:  http://healingfromi nsideout. blogspot. com

Reiki II practitioner, #1 alternative treatment recommended by Dr. Oz

Herbal consultations

------------------------------------------------------------

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up

now.

--

McAllister

FB:  www.facebook.com/healfrominsideout

Twitter:  www.twitter.com/healinginside

Blog:  http://healingfrominsideout.blogspot.com

Herbal consultations

Guest guest

Thanks Roxanna.  :)  On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Roxanna <MadIdeas@...> wrote:

It was a stereotype statement about housewives/SAHM and aides and

para's. I am a SAHM and thought it was a bit offensive towards people

like me. I am not having a tantrum over it either because it is sure a

common group to bash. So it's not surprising. I agree with .

There are always good para's, good aides, bad ones, in between ones,

etc. It's not any different from any other profession. SAHM's are the

same. Some have graduate degrees, others don't. Some would make great

para's/aides, some won't. One time they had a sped teacher assigned to

my older ds (hfa, dyslexia) who had no clue what autism was about but

he connected with my ds is such a wonderful way. He just had a gift

for working with him. So training can be only a part of a bigger

picture, but important!

As far as school's hiring people who are not that qualified or have no

training, they do that because they can. We've had 1-1 help for two

of our ds's and we have put training in the IEP as well as other

specifics. For my older ds, we specified that they would have one main

aide and could have a sub aide but he would not have more than 2 people

as his aide. The helped with consistency and not lumping him with any

warm body available at that moment vs. having a serious person who had

a real job with him. The job duties were also spelled out in the IEP -

helping him get his work together before leaving each day, getting him

to PE class 5 minutes early to dress out, having someone there during

lunch/recess times, cueing him during specific assignments, noticing

when he was stuck and needed help, etc. So the lack of training is

because nobody has ever pushed them to do more.

The only part we could not affect was changing aides or picking them

out. Seems like someone would get a great aide who connected with

their child really well, then seniority status within the union would

mean they would be gone the next year and replaced with someone else.

But often, if someone worked well with my kids, they were there for a

long while over several years because they did a good job. It was

easier than having to retrain someone else and they knew we would

request training. So consider that when getting an aide or para for

your child. There is also a book out there on training for para's for

students with autism. " How to be a Para Pro: A Comprehensive Training

Manual for Paraprofessionals by Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Ph.D., CCC-SLP "

If you cannot get training in your IEP or find that the training

provided is poor, at least buy a copy of this for your child's aide to

read.

Roxanna

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do

nothing. " E. Burke

( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Does anyone know if a school has to legally have someone trained to

deal with ASD's to be an aide in the classroom with a child with an

ASD?  Or can they simply hire someone...even though they care, etc.

Thanks.

Robin

----------------------------------------------------------

--

McAllister

FB:  www.facebook. com/healfrominsi deout

Twitter:  www.twitter. com/healinginsid e

Blog:  http://healingfromi nsideout. blogspot. com

Herbal consultations

----------------------------------------------------------

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up

now.

--

McAllister

FB:  www.facebook.com/healfrominsideout

Twitter:  www.twitter.com/healinginside

Blog:  http://healingfrominsideout.blogspot.com

Herbal consultations

Guest guest

Here is an article on parent and teacher training supports that might help. http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/support.bardet.htm and then this one --> http://www2.ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/paraguidance.pdf

Roxanna

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." E. Burke

( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

Guest guest

I would take that bet. Many times people get an education and then realize that there are bigger things in life than making more money. Or they might be happier doing a particular job just because it suits them more than the one they started off doing.

Roxanna

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." E. Burke

( ) Quick question

Ok,,,

Thanks.

Robin

--

McAllister

FB: www.facebook.com/healfrominsideout

Twitter: www.twitter.com/healinginside

Blog: http://healingfrominsideout.blogspot.com

Herbal consultations

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Guest guest

This is due to the NCLB act.

Roxanna

Re: ( ) Quick question

Here in NC, I'm not sure about current PPs because in last years they have been working on "reform" and starting to require degrees in things.

But it used to be that many PPs didn't have degrees, could be just a 21 yr old with high school diploma and they would receive some training like first aid/CPR, basic type trainings, and be taught how to bill/document...but didn't require official training specific to the child they were working with. More "learn on the job" and go by the treatment plan as to what goals for child were and what the PP was supposed to do. I think maybe currently the state is having them get training specific to a child if they work with them in the home/community (thru a private provider), but I'm not sure about the school system. I'm sure it varies in states as to requirements.

It was just in the past few years that finally a teacher had to be certified (? right word) to teach the subjects (whereas before they could assign a teacher to teach science/other who never had before).

>

>

> Â

> I don't think he meant anything insulting by his remarks. I think he's just probably in the same "place" as my district is. From the aides that I know, as well as the 3 I chatted with today, none of them have had official training. Some have gone to college,,,,,some have degree's......I have too,,,,,but none of them have had any training for working with kids with ASD's. They really ARE housewives looking to put in some hours and make some cash....which isn't a bad thing. Many, as he stated, are good at what they do. Have good hearts.

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Hi everyone,

I am taking a holiday from my drugs because I've developed a rash over half my

body. (As a reminder, I'm in the Ariad drug trial. We increased my dosage from

30mg to 45mg about 8 weeks ago and then the rash started). I'm in day two off

the drugs, and I'm feeling really shaky today--nauseous, chills, etc. Has anyone

else experienced anything like this when they took a break from TKIs? I figure

it is either my body going into overdrive to heal my skin or I'm coming down

with the flu. I have e-mailed my doctor, but wanted to check in with the

collective wisdom of this group.

Thanks

Beth

(whose latest PCR was " faintly positive " ...I'll take it! :-))

Guest guest

That's how I start out the day most days, and how I feel if I get overtired

by the end of the day! It burns away like the morning fog, and I get about

my day, no longer think much about it. But that is on meds. When I've taken

a break, I tend not to get that feeling at all.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM, <bethgalliart@...> wrote:

>

>

>

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> I am taking a holiday from my drugs because I've developed a rash over half

> my body. (As a reminder, I'm in the Ariad drug trial. We increased my dosage

> from 30mg to 45mg about 8 weeks ago and then the rash started). I'm in day

> two off the drugs, and I'm feeling really shaky today--nauseous, chills,

> etc. Has anyone else experienced anything like this when they took a break

> from TKIs? I figure it is either my body going into overdrive to heal my

> skin or I'm coming down with the flu. I have e-mailed my doctor, but wanted

> to check in with the collective wisdom of this group.

>

> Thanks

>

> Beth

>

> (whose latest PCR was " faintly positive " ...I'll take it! :-))

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Beth:  I have not had to switch medications, but I think with anything that

has built up in your system will cause a reaction when you do a complete stop. 

Your body is asking what is going on?  With the rash,  I guess you had to just

stop.  When I wanted to come off my Zoloft, I weaned myself off. When I saw

the doctor, and told her how much I took etc. she agreed that she would have

done it the same way.

Its amazing how the drugs do so much for us, but also how we feel after

we stop them.

You definitely feel different.  My one doctor always wants to get that

prescription pad out for me with every complaint I have, and I tell her NO. 

Then most times I do just fine without whatever she wanted to give me.  Talking

about my Primary, not my Oncologist.

Hope you can get started on something again real soon.  Sometimes after

you stop and restart you do not have the same reactions.  See if anyone else

who has done it can help you more than me.

Subject: [ ] Quick Question

" " < >

Date: Friday, June 18, 2010, 12:56 PM

Hi everyone,

the drugs, and I'm feeling really shaky today--nauseous, chills, etc. Has anyone

Thanks

Beth

Guest guest

Beth,

I hope you feel better soon!  Yuck, yuck, yuck. 

< >

Sent: Fri, June 18, 2010 11:56:57 AM

Subject: [ ] Quick Question

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Beth