RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Fw: Hot Topics at The Body's Ask the Experts Forums

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From: "News at The Body" <update@...>Date: 10 Apr 2012 17:37:16 -0400<nelsonvergel@...>Reply "News at The Body" <update@...>Subject: Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" ForumsIf you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/topics.htmlApril 10, 2012Visit the Forums"Hot Topics" LibraryChange/Update SubscriptionLiving With HIV/AIDSMixed-Status CouplesInsurance, Workplace & Legal ConcernsBody Shape Changes & HIV/AIDSHIV/AIDS TreatmentOther Health Issues HIV/AIDSUnderstanding HIV/AIDS LabsHIV/STD Testing & TransmissionLIVING WITH HIV/AIDS How Can I Stay Motivated to Enjoy Life?I've been living with HIV for far too long. My numbers are all fine but the side effects of the HIV meds, along with the drugs to curb the side effects, are taking their toll. I quit working a couple years ago after a successful, multifaceted career. Most of my close friends are long gone; social engagements are dwindling, and I was the life of the party back in the day! I've been taking meds for depression for years as well. How does a 60-year-old guy go about getting some excitement from today and the near future? Fawcett, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., responds in the "Mental Health and HIV" forumMIXED-STATUS COUPLES What Are the Odds My Partner Has Stayed HIV Negative?I recently found out I'm HIV positive. I have a steady partner with whom I've been very sexually active, and we had unprotected sex a few times before I knew my status. My current viral load is around 16,000. Is that considered high enough to transmit HIV? My partner is freaked out and refuses to get tested. How high are the odds that I've transmitted HIV to my partner? R. Southall responds in the "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" forumINSURANCE, WORKPLACE LEGAL CONCERNS Could My Medical Records Come Out in My Girlfriend's Custody Case?I was just diagnosed HIV positive; my girlfriend is HIV negative. She's going through a divorce and custody battle. Could my HIV status be discovered and used negatively by the opposing side in her court case, or are my medical records private? Christa Douaihy, Esq., responds in the "Legal Issues and HIV" forum Can I Qualify for SSI Benefits?I've been HIV positive since early 1990 (was also treated for hepatitis C in the '90s), and I started taking HIV meds in 2004. At the time my CD4 count was 12 and my viral load was 40,000. In the past two years my body has not been what it used to be. I tire easily and am having a tough time getting along with people, so I don't want to work. I applied for benefits through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program and am waiting to see if I qualify. On what factors are decisions about eligibility based? Jacques Chambers, C.L.U., responds in the "Workplace and Insurance Issues" forumBODY SHAPE CHANGES HIV/AIDS How Can I Avoid Body Shape Changes?I take my country's equivalent of Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) and Viramune (nevirapine). I'm worried I may be experiencing body shape changes as a result of HIV or my meds: My upper body is getting bigger, and my legs have protruding veins and are getting skinnier. What can I do to slow or stop these changes from happening? Vergel responds in the "Aging With HIV" forumDetail from:"Untitled (House/Churches 5-8)," 1996 CullumVisit the April 2012 Visual AIDS Web Gallery to view our latest collection of art by HIV-positive artists! This month's gallery, " Borders/Crossings, " is curated by Liz Barr.HIV/AIDS TREATMENT When Will I See the Results of HIV Treatment?I was just diagnosed with HIV. My CD4 count is 250 and my viral load is 100,000. It seems I've been infected for a while without knowing, and I might even have been reinfected. I started taking HIV meds a week ago. How long before I'll see positive results? Will my viral load ever reach undetectable? How high might my CD4 count be able to go? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum What Do You Know About the New Quad Pill?My doctor gave me the option of joining a clinical trial for the new, not-yet-approved Quad pill. I'm happy with my current meds, which I also take once a day: Norvir (ritonavir), Prezista (darunavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC). My CD4 count is 720 and my viral load is undetectable. Would there be short- or long-term benefits to switching to the new pill? ph P. McGowan, M.D., F.A.C.P., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forumMore Questions About HIV/AIDS Treatment:Changing Time Zones Frequently: When Should I Take My Bedtime Meds?Can I Take Tuberculosis Drugs While on Atripla?OTHER HEALTH ISSUES HIV/AIDS Is It Common for HIVers to Have Protein in Their Urine?I am HIV positive and have been on the same meds for about six years. A recent test detected protein in my urine. Is this common? Is it a problem? If it's not, what might help correct it before it becomes a problem? Vergel responds in the "Aging With HIV" forum What Should I Do About My High Cholesterol?I've been taking Isentress (raltegravir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) for three years. My viral load has been undetectable since I started the meds, and I've been completely adherent. My CD4 count is constantly above 800. My cholesterol counts, however, have been less than stellar. My doctor has prescribed Lipitor (atorvastatin) but I'm hesitant to take it. Is it possible that my high cholesterol is caused by my HIV meds? If so, would you suggest a different regimen? What else could be going on, and what should I do? Henry, M.D., responds in the "Managing Side Effects of HIV Treatment" forumI've Reassured My Loved Ones; Now I Need Some Comfort, Too(A recent post from the " I Just Tested Positive " board)I was diagnosed 3/27/2012 with HIV. I've been so busy trying to reassure my loved ones that I will be OK that I've ignored my own need to be reassured. I'm hoping the interactions I make on here will help get me to that goal. I initially tested positive on 3/12/2012 on a trip to the clinic to see if I had an STD. Well I did it seems, HIV and syphilis. This diagnosis has put my life into crisis mode. ...I feel angry because I've been deceived by several people ... and also betrayed by myself. I believe a series of bad choices, bad luck, and maybe even fate has brought me to this point. ...If anyone is interested in sharing anything about how my situation might relate to theirs, I'd be more than happy to talk/listen. -- nwkmateoClick here to join this discussion, or to start your own!To do this, you'll need to register with TheBody.com's bulletin boards if you're a new user. Registration is quick and anonymous (all you need is an e-mail address) -- click here to get started!UNDERSTANDING HIV/AIDS LABS What's My High CD4 Percentage Doing to My CD8 Count?When I was diagnosed poz six years ago, I had a CD4 count of 250 and a CD4 percentage of 32. Since then, I've had great results on my HIV meds and my CD4 count has peaked at 790. However, my CD4 percentage keeps climbing. Would a high CD4 percentage be indicative of a low CD8 count? Should I be worried about that? Mark Holodniy, M.D., F.A.C.P., C.I.C., responds in the "Understanding Your Labs" forumHIV/STD TESTING TRANSMISSION When Should I Be Tested for Syphilis After I've Been Treated?I was recently treated for syphilis, though I have undergone syphilis treatment several times over the past 15 years. How often after a person has been treated should they be retested for syphilis antibodies, and for how many months after treatment should they take the test? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum HIV on a Heroin Cooking Spoon: Am I At Risk?I've been to rehab and been sober for two years, and I am in a state of panic. I recently read an article that said HIV can be transmitted through the blood vessels in the nose. I never injected heroin but I used to snort it by mixing it with water. On one occasion I'd found a spoon that someone had used to cook and inject heroin. It had dried-up heroin in it. I was in withdrawal and made an idiotic decision to add water to it and snort it. Could there have been HIV in the dried contents of the spoon? I just took an HIV test although I won't get the results back for a couple of weeks. Am I doomed? Fawcett, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., responds in the "Substance Use and HIV" forumWorried Your Spam Filter Might Trash Our Mailings?The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@... to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.About This E-mailThis e-mail update has been sent to nelsonvergel@....Want to change your subscription? Click here or send us a message at updates@....Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:The Body's E-Mail UpdatesRemedy Health Media, LLC250 West 57th StreetNew York, NY 10107 Stop Arizona Bill 2625 Applications to Volunteer at AIDS 2012 Available April 1st Under Attack: Your Health Care Rights Activists Launch New Survey to Help Speed HIV Cure Research Demand Hershey Reverse Decision on HIV+ Student and Dismiss School Officials Count HIV+ Women In! PWN Launches National Campaign on World AIDS Day

Guest guest

From: "News at The Body" <update@...>Date: 17 Apr 2012 17:58:27 -0400<nelsonvergel@...>Reply "News at The Body" <update@...>Subject: Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" ForumsIf you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/topics.htmlApril 17, 2012Visit the Forums"Hot Topics" LibraryChange/Update SubscriptionLiving With HIV/AIDSMixed-Status CouplesInsurance, Workplace & Legal ConcernsBody Shape Changes & HIV/AIDSHIV/AIDS TreatmentOther Health Issues HIV/AIDSUnderstanding HIV/AIDS LabsHIV & Hepatitis C TransmissionStrange but TrueLIVING WITH HIV/AIDS Will I Be Alive for the Cure?I'm 27 years old and newly diagnosed with HIV. I've been on Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC) for almost a year. I'm already experiencing anxiety and depression, and I'm worried about what taking these strong meds for my entire life is going to do to me. An HIV cure feels like the only answer. Last year I read a lot of buzz about cure research, but lately it appears to me that optimism is flagging again. Can I hope to see one in my lifetime? Vergel responds in the "Nutrition and Exercise" forum Why Do You Recommend Vitamin D?Nowadays I've been hearing a lot about vitamin D. Why do you think that is? Is vitamin D the best vitamin supplement for people living with HIV? Do you recommend a particular brand of supplement? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forumMore Questions About Living With HIV/AIDS:How Do I Find Happiness Again and Rebuild My Life?How Do I Convince My Doctor to Test My Testosterone Level?MIXED-STATUS COUPLES Can I Use My Poz Partner's Semen for Personal Play?My partner is HIV positive. Would I be at risk of becoming HIV positive if I used his cum as lube to masturbate myself with? Glenn, M.A., responds in the "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" forum Am I Legally Bound to Reveal My Spouse's HIV Status?My spouse was diagnosed with HIV over 18 years ago. The number of people who know this info is very few. A lab tech from a local lab had to take some of my spouse's blood for a recent non-HIV-related health issue. We've been familiar with this person and their family for many years, and my spouse didn't want to reveal their HIV status. I don't believe the person took "universal precautions" when performing my spouse's blood draws, though no needle-stick accident took place. In situations like this, am I legally responsible to reveal my spouse's HIV status when I know that my spouse will not? Can I get in any trouble if I don't? Christa Douaihy, Esq., responds in the "Legal Issues and HIV" forumINSURANCE, WORKPLACE LEGAL CONCERNS Can My New Employer's Insurance Deny Me for a Pre-Existing Condition?I've been HIV positive for almost 20 years. A year ago I was laid off and I haven't had coverage for about nine months. I've now returned to work and my new insurance carrier is stating I have a pre-existing condition. What can I do? Jacques Chambers, C.L.U., responds in the "Workplace and Insurance Issues" forumDetail from:"Resistance," 1993Elliott LinwoodVisit the April 2012 Visual AIDS Web Gallery to view our latest collection of art by HIV-positive artists! This month's gallery, " Borders/Crossings, " is curated by Liz Barr.BODY SHAPE CHANGES HIV/AIDS Should I Join a Study of Human Growth Hormone for Belly Fat Loss?The local university medical center in my area is conducting research on the effects and safety of human growth hormone (HGH). Should I participate in the study? If I start HGH now, do I have to be on it for the rest of my life? Do you think it will help me manage the belly fat gain I've been noticing lately? Henry, M.D., responds in the "Managing Side Effects of HIV Treatment" forumHIV/AIDS TREATMENT Which Are the Best HIV Med Regimens?I'm a 23-year-old male, diagnosed with HIV about a year ago. I've been taking Norvir (ritonavir), Prezista (darunavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) for four months now. Aside from a rash I had at first, I seem to be tolerating them well. Which would you say is the best anti-HIV treatment combo for the long term -- possibly one with fewer pills and side effects? What are the options? Vergel responds in the "Aging With HIV" forum Didn't Take Meds With Food: What Are the Consequences?I'm 64, I was diagnosed with HIV three years ago and I'm taking Intelence (etravirine) twice daily and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) once daily. My viral load was undetectable and my T-cell count was 625 as of a month ago. I was recently hospitalized with gastritis and diverticulitis and was fed intravenously for a few days before returning to a full diet. When I explained to the doctor that I need to take Intelence after a meal, he ignored that and told me I needed to not eat. How likely is my current regimen to fail because I didn't take the meds with solid food? ph P. McGowan, M.D., F.A.C.P., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forumMore Questions About HIV/AIDS Treatment:Are There Drug Interactions Between Common Cold Meds and Atripla?Missed a Dose: What Should I Have Done?OTHER HEALTH ISSUES HIV/AIDS Are There Any Supplements That Help Relieve Neuropathy?I've been HIV positive since October 2007 and doing well. I started taking HIV meds in November 2011 and soon had problems with pain, numbness and tingling in my hands, fingers and feet (peripheral neuropathy). My doctor told me to take a vitamin B-complex tablet, but the neuropathy got worse. I have now switched regimens twice and am terrified the pins and needles will return, but I want to be on meds that will keep my HIV in control. Do you know of any herbs or supplements that can help with neuropathy symptoms? Vergel responds in the "Nutrition and Exercise" forum How Do I Treat an Esophageal Ulcer on My HIV Meds?I'm a long-term HIV survivor (HIV positive since 1987) with an undetectable viral load, taking Norvir (ritonavir), Reyataz (atazanavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC). For a long time I've had a burning when I swallow, and I recently found out I have an esophageal ulcer. Virtually every medicine out there interacts with Reyataz. How am I going to treat this new condition while taking my HIV med regimen? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forumHow Do Other Mixed-Status Couples Remain Successful?(A recent post from the " Relationships and Dating " board)My partner and I have been together for almost a year now. Halfway through the year I was diagnosed with HIV. It has been a struggle yet we are still together, going strong with pretty much no issues. I know relationships can go up and down. However, It would really be nice to hear from some people who have been together, had the significant other become infected, and have continued to push forward. Does anyone have any advice on keeping the relationship strong? -- _IngramClick here to join this discussion, or to start your own!To do this, you'll need to register with TheBody.com's bulletin boards if you're a new user. Registration is quick and anonymous (all you need is an e-mail address) -- click here to get started!UNDERSTANDING HIV/AIDS LABS Can Stress Increase Viral Load?I've been taking my HIV meds on time for seven years and practicing safe sex. My viral load has been undetectable for a long time now, but recently it popped up to 241. Do I need to worry? Could stress have had a negative effect on my viral load?Mark Holodniy, M.D., F.A.C.P., C.I.C., responds in the "Understanding Your Labs" forumHIV HEPATITIS C TRANSMISSION Is a Woman at More or Less Risk for HIV During Her Period?If a woman has unprotected sex with an HIV-positive man and her menstrual cycle begins very soon after intercourse, is her chance of becoming HIV positive higher, lower or the same as it would be were she not menstruating? Cordova responds in the "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" forum Hepatitis C and Razors: Is My Child at Risk?I have hepatitis C. My 2-year-old son got a hold of my razor, which I thought was too high up for him to reach, and got a small cut on his foot. I recall cutting myself using that razor about 36-40 hours prior to this incident. I'm pretty good about rinsing the razor after each use, but I'm still worried about my son. Could he be at risk for hepatitis C? If so, when should I get him tested? Barbara McGovern, M.D., responds in the "Hepatitis and HIV Coinfection" forumSTRANGE BUT TRUE Could the Home HIV Test Give Me HIV?When I found out I was pregnant I stressed out about getting an HIV test, so I bought one off the internet. I had my actual test about three weeks later and it came back negative. It's now three months after and I have started to worry. When I did my home test I used a lancet. Thinking back, it was really irresponsible to put a pin in my finger, when I had no idea where the pin came from. I have read posts on whether HIV can live on a needle. Some say it can. Some say it can't. Have I put myself and unborn baby at any risk? Should I be re-tested? Fawcett, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., responds in the "Mental Health and HIV" forumWorried Your Spam Filter Might Trash Our Mailings?The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@... to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.About This E-mailThis e-mail update has been sent to nelsonvergel@....Want to change your subscription? Click here or send us a message at updates@....Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:The Body's E-Mail UpdatesRemedy Health Media, LLC250 West 57th StreetNew York, NY 10107 Stop Arizona Bill 2625 Applications to Volunteer at AIDS 2012 Available April 1st Under Attack: Your Health Care Rights Activists Launch New Survey to Help Speed HIV Cure Research Demand Hershey Reverse Decision on HIV+ Student and Dismiss School Officials Count HIV+ Women In! PWN Launches National Campaign on World AIDS Day

Guest guest

From: "News at The Body" <update@...>Date: 24 Apr 2012 16:55:18 -0400<nelsonvergel@...>Reply "News at The Body" <update@...>Subject: Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" ForumsIf you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/topics.htmlApril 24, 2012Visit the Forums"Hot Topics" LibraryChange/Update SubscriptionLiving With HIV/AIDSMixed-Status CouplesInsurance, Workplace & Legal ConcernsHIV/AIDS TreatmentOther Health Issues HIV/AIDSUnderstanding HIV/AIDS LabsHIV & STD TransmissionLIVING WITH HIV/AIDS Living Happily With HIV: Am I a Rarity?I was diagnosed with HIV in 2003 and have been on Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC) since 2008. I've had no side effects, my viral load is undetectable and my counts have climbed continuously. I've attended a few HIV support groups and got depressed by the crowd. Most people no longer worked and received some type of aid. I continue to work a full-time job; I work out every night and run on weekends. I feel wonderful, but I don't know anyone else like me! Will I eventually deteriorate? Have I just not yet experienced the inevitable? Vergel responds in the "Aging With HIV" forum What Can I Do to Support My Liver Health?I take Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) and Viramune (nevirapine), and I'm a bit worried about how taking these meds every day will affect my liver. What should I be doing differently? Is it bad that I drink beer occasionally? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forumMIXED-STATUS COUPLES Does It Matter if I Disclose to My New Boyfriend?I've been living with HIV for three years and I'm taking Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC). My viral load is undetectable. My boyfriend of one month is HIV negative. If we have sex we use condoms because I don't want to expose him to HIV, but I'm really afraid of telling him my positive status. What should I do? Fawcett, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., responds in the "Mental Health and HIV" forum Can My Poz Partner Get Health Coverage if He Moves to the U.S.?I'm a foreign professional currently working in California (on a work visa with the possibility of obtaining permanent residency in about three years). I'm looking into having my longtime HIV-positive partner immigrate to the U.S., first as a student and then maybe through employment or marriage. In the case that my partner comes to the U.S., could he be covered as my domestic partner under my employer's group health insurance? Would his preexisting condition be an issue? Could he also have the chance of obtaining coverage through the university where he'd be enrolled? Jacques Chambers, C.L.U., responds in the "Workplace and Insurance Issues" forumDetail from:Untitled, 2000Preston McGovernVisit the April 2012 Visual AIDS Web Gallery to view our latest collection of art by HIV-positive artists! This month's gallery, " Borders/Crossings, " is curated by Liz Barr.INSURANCE, WORKPLACE LEGAL CONCERNS Am I Being Discriminated Against at Work?When I became really ill at work due to a medication change, I disclosed my HIV status. Since then I've been asked to sign a medical release form allowing my employer to talk with my doctor, taken off four shifts, and now I'm being asked to provide information on HIV or else I'd be taken off the shift schedule. My boss says she's just trying to protect her business (a restaurant), her employees and customers. Is this discrimination? Christa Douaihy, Esq., responds in the "Legal Issues and HIV" forum HIV/AIDS TREATMENT Can I Take Only Part of My Regimen for Financial Reasons?I'm having a difficult time affording my medication. I currently take Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC), my T-cell count is 600 and my virus has been undetectable since I started taking the medication in 2009. If I can't purchase my medication this month, should I stop taking it altogether, or take fewer doses to make it last longer? What could happen if I stopped taking my meds for, say, two months? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum Choosing a New Regimen: What Side Effects Should I Know About?I'm a 39-year-old man. I was diagnosed with HIV during seroconversion in January 2011 and decided to start HIV meds right away. A month later my viral load was undetectable, and until recently my CD4 count has always been higher than 600. However, awful depression led me to stop taking Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC) this January. Three weeks after stopping, all my depressive symptoms were gone. My most recent genotype test shows no resistance whatsoever. I'm considering starting a new HIV med regimen soon. Can you let me know the side effect profiles of a few popular regimen options?ph P. McGowan, M.D., F.A.C.P., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forumMore Questions About HIV/AIDS Treatment:Could My Rash Be a Side Effect of Meds I've Taken for 3 Years?What Happens if I Miss 4 Doses of Atripla?OTHER HEALTH ISSUES HIV/AIDS If It's Not Low Testosterone, What's Causing My Low Sex Drive?I take Combivir (AZT/3TC), Norvir (ritonavir) and Reyataz (atazanavir) as well as Lexapro (escitalopram) and testosterone injections once a month. My testosterone level is normal but my sex drive is zero and I have no response to sexual stimulation. What could be going on? Henry, M.D., responds in the "Managing Side Effects of HIV Treatment" forum Is My Joint Pain Due to Bone Loss?I switched to Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) from AZT (Retrovir, zidovudine) about six months ago. One of my friends has bone loss in his hips from Truvada. My hip and shoulder joints have been bothering me, and when I sit for a long time I can barely get up. Is this a bone loss problem? Vergel responds in the "Nutrition and Exercise" forumWhat Can I Expect From My First HIV Specialist Appointment?(A recent post from the " I Just Tested Positive " board)I tested positive on March 30. I was having some routine blood work done and on a whim asked for HIV test as well. Rest of the stuff turned out good, HIV test not so good.My family doctor told me that my numbers are very good (low), but didn't tell me what they were. He told me that if I had gotten tested just a few months ago, I would have shown negative. He estimates that I was infected 6-12 months ago. …I decided that I had been punched hard, and I had two choices: lie down, or get up. I chose to get up.I see my specialist for the first time tomorrow. I'm ready to get some actual information and get started on the path of the rest of my life. What can I expect to get (information wise) from my first visit? … My hope and intention is that with the help of people that support me, good treatment and my will to get up that I'll stand a better chance of dying from being hit by a bus in 40 years than I will of dying from this. -- lifepart2Click here to join this discussion, or to start your own!To do this, you'll need to register with TheBody.com's bulletin boards if you're a new user. Registration is quick and anonymous (all you need is an e-mail address) -- click here to get started!UNDERSTANDING HIV/AIDS LABS Can You Help Me Read My Hepatitis Test Results?I'm confused by my lab results. What does it mean that my "surface antibody" for hepatitis B is "reactive"? Barbara McGovern, M.D., responds in the "Hepatitis and HIV Coinfection" forumHIV STD TRANSMISSION Should I Change PEP Medications?After I was sexually assaulted, doctors recommended I take Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). Today is my third day taking the meds. I read that AZT (Retrovir, zidovudine) is more effective as PEP. Is this true? Should I switch meds? Is it already too late? Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum Sperm Washing Takes Care of HIV, but What About Other STDs?I'm an HIV-negative lesbian in my 30s, and I can't wait to have a baby. A dear friend of mine who's gay too and HIV positive has agreed to be my sperm donor. It's worth the expense to us to use sperm washing for additional protection, though he takes HIV meds and has an undetectable viral load. We're different from both the usual sperm-donation and sperm-washing scenarios in that we're not in a sexual relationship but I'm sure of his HIV status, so I'm not asking him to abstain from any risk behaviors; he's got his life, and I know he occasionally "serosorts" and has unprotected sex with other poz guys. How long does it take for other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) besides HIV to show up, and will the sperm-washing process eliminate them? Could he conceivably have a fun weekend a week before he gives his donation, pick up an STD, and I'm then infected with Chlamydia or something while I'm trying to get pregnant? B. Hightow-Weidman, M.D., M.P.H., responds in the "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" forumWorried Your Spam Filter Might Trash Our Mailings?The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@... to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.About This E-mailThis e-mail update has been sent to nelsonvergel@....Want to change your subscription? Click here or send us a message at updates@....Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:The Body's E-Mail UpdatesRemedy Health Media, LLC250 West 57th StreetNew York, NY 10107 Make AIDSWatch Happen in Your Hometown Living the American Dream? A Reality of Poverty for HIV+ Women: Webinar and Blog Series Housing Works Joins ACT-UP 25th Anniversary NYC Demonstration Stop Arizona Bill 2625 Applications to Volunteer at AIDS 2012 Available April 1st Under Attack: Your Health Care Rights Activists Launch New Survey to Help Speed HIV Cure Research Demand Hershey Reverse Decision on HIV+ Student and Dismiss School Officials Count HIV+ Women In! PWN Launches National Campaign on World AIDS Day