> > : " Both my doors that lead outside are wood and in winter

> they stick - have possibly grown? are harder to open and close -

do

> not line up as well as they do in summer. I have always just

> considered this natural and the way things are. "

>

> You are absolutely correct!

>

> Unfortunately, you live in an uninhabitable land way too far north.

>

> I hear that in England it is often cold, cloudy, and even damp!

>

> Achooooo!

>

> Excuse me!

>

> With increasing humidity this time of year your outside doors have

> grown, more in width than length. I would hazard to guess that

they

> are sticking along the verticals. I predict that with the arrival

of

> spring, the birds and flowers, that soon all will be well again

with

> your entrance way.

>

> Rainbow

>

Guest guest

Is Ivy a parasite? I thought it just used the host tree for support?

Does the Pothos like to climb the walls too?

Inger

Re: Wood mystery!

Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aureus) is the easiest houseplant I know to

grow. It's a parasite in tropical countries, like English Ivy is here

in the US so it's tough. It still needs some care, of course but

doesn't need a lot of sun or watering.

>

> > Inger: " Would succulents do the same job? "

>

> Yes, but you'll need more of them because they transpire more slowly.

>

> Rainbow

>

FAM Secret Society is a community based on respect, friendship, support and

acceptance. Everyone is valued.

Don't forget, there are links to other FAM sites on the Links page in the

folder marked " Other FAM Sites. "

Guest guest

From what I understand English ivy stays under control in England but

in the US (where supposedly it escaped from houseplants) it takes

over. It grows up trees and its suckers get under the bark and it

eventually kills the tree. The pothos will stay contained in your

climate! In the tropics it climbs up the trees and the leaves and

vines get big but I don't think it gets out of control there because

that's where it's supposed to be.

(If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American

South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably find

would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!)

> >

> > > Inger: " Would succulents do the same job? "

> >

> > Yes, but you'll need more of them because they transpire more

slowly.

> >

> > Rainbow

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> FAM Secret Society is a community based on respect, friendship,

support and

> acceptance. Everyone is valued.

>

> Don't forget, there are links to other FAM sites on the Links page

in the

> folder marked " Other FAM Sites. "

>

Guest guest

And non-Aspies.

(If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American

South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably find

would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!)

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/13/2006 2:48:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mikecarrie01@... writes:

From what I understand English ivy stays under control in England but in the US (where supposedly it escaped from houseplants) it takes over. It grows up trees and its suckers get under the bark and it eventually kills the tree. The pothos will stay contained in your climate! In the tropics it climbs up the trees and the leaves and vines get big but I don't think it gets out of control there because that's where it's supposed to be.(If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably find would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!)

English Ivy does get out of hand over here. On of our neighbors got started planting this stuff decades ago. Now up and down the creek the backyards are full of it and it is very hard to clear out and get rid of.

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/13/2006 3:57:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

I wonder if English Ivy is the name given to Poison Ivy, which wasfoolishly imported from the Americas to England because someonethought it was "pretty" ? (of all the things to inflict on adifferent ecosystem...)

Poison Ivy is very different and is native to the Americas, all three varieties of it. English Ivy is "ornamental" and has been cultivated for some time.

Guest guest

I wonder if English Ivy is the name given to Poison Ivy, which was

foolishly imported from the Americas to England because someone

thought it was " pretty " ? (of all the things to inflict on a

different ecosystem...)

>

> From what I understand English ivy stays under control in England but

> in the US (where supposedly it escaped from houseplants) it takes

> over. It grows up trees and its suckers get under the bark and it

> eventually kills the tree. The pothos will stay contained in your

> climate! In the tropics it climbs up the trees and the leaves and

> vines get big but I don't think it gets out of control there because

> that's where it's supposed to be.

>

> (If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American

> South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably find

> would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!)

>

>

> <SNIP>

Guest guest

I wonder if English Ivy is the name given to Poison Ivy, which was

foolishly imported from the Americas to England because someone

thought it was " pretty " ? (of all the things to inflict on a

different ecosystem...)

>

> From what I understand English ivy stays under control in England but

> in the US (where supposedly it escaped from houseplants) it takes

> over. It grows up trees and its suckers get under the bark and it

> eventually kills the tree. The pothos will stay contained in your

> climate! In the tropics it climbs up the trees and the leaves and

> vines get big but I don't think it gets out of control there because

> that's where it's supposed to be.

>

> (If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American

> South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably find

> would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!)

>

>

> <SNIP>

Guest guest

Here's a picture of English Ivy from my head to yours--zap! Didn't

work? Ah well, English ivy is Hedera helix and has dark green leaves

with a ruffled-type edge and poison ivy is Toxicodendron rydbergii

and has light to medium green pointed leaves. English ivy is loved

because it can grow in deep shade but poison ivy pretty? Looks like a

weed to me! Did England not have poison ivy at all, and it was

brought there from America? For that I am TRULY sorry. Vile stuff.

> >

> > From what I understand English ivy stays under control in England

but

> > in the US (where supposedly it escaped from houseplants) it takes

> > over. It grows up trees and its suckers get under the bark and it

> > eventually kills the tree. The pothos will stay contained in your

> > climate! In the tropics it climbs up the trees and the leaves and

> > vines get big but I don't think it gets out of control there

because

> > that's where it's supposed to be.

> >

> > (If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American

> > South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably

find

> > would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!)

> >

> >

> > <SNIP>

>

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/13/2006 11:33:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, drumthis2001@... writes:

Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain mint, spearmint, , Lemon Basil, Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

We managed to get rid of ours by cutting it back to bare earth and clipping any shoots that came up over the next few months. I think the yardman also but down some herbicide or something, but whatever it was did not interfere with the grass he planted.

Guest guest

Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain mint, spearmint, , Lemon Basil, Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars. VISIGOTH@... wrote: In a message dated 3/13/2006 2:48:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mikecarrie01@... writes: From what I understand English ivy stays under control in England but in the US (where supposedly it escaped from houseplants) it takes over. It grows up trees and its suckers get

under the bark and it eventually kills the tree. The pothos will stay contained in your climate! In the tropics it climbs up the trees and the leaves and vines get big but I don't think it gets out of control there because that's where it's supposed to be.(If we ever had an epidemic or a nuclear war here in the American South and people came back 100 years later all they'd probably find would be English ivy, Kudzu, rats and cockroaches!) English Ivy does get out of hand over here. On of our neighbors got started planting this stuff decades ago. Now up and down the creek the backyards are full of it and it is very hard to clear out and get rid of.

Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

Guest guest

Hopefully the seeds don't lay dormant for years. Maybe there are species of worms that could thrive on English Ivy seeds. Another simpler way would be to choke the English Ivy out with other trailing plants. I'm sure they could transport certain types of minerals in the soil which would be good for some hardy, perennials and not good for the English Ivy. VISIGOTH@... wrote: In a message dated 3/13/2006 11:33:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, drumthis2001@... writes: Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain mint, spearmint, , Lemon Basil,

Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars. We managed to get rid of ours by cutting it back to bare earth and clipping any shoots that came up over the next few months. I think the yardman also but down some herbicide or something, but whatever it was did not interfere with the grass he planted.

Guest guest

>

> Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain mint,

spearmint, , Lemon Basil, Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of

course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy

removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

Aaahh, not mint or clover--those take over too. It is a pain taking out

the ivy.

Guest guest

From what it sounds like with the English Ivy, I'd rather have peppermint. Clover is nice too because it's not too tall and doesn't climb up trees. Sometimes the evil Ivy has to be replaced with a lesser evil if no one else will do anything about it. mikecarrie01 <mikecarrie01@...> wrote: >> Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain mint, spearmint, , Lemon Basil, Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars. Aaahh, not mint or clover--those take over too. It is a pain taking out the ivy.

Guest guest

I like mint for tea and other recipes and I like that clover feeds

the bees. Mint will put out runners and spread like wildfire which is

okay if you have grass around it then it generally won't spread.

Clover will reseed all over the place, though. I like our

neighborhood because people aren't Unnaturally Green Grass

worshippers and so no one uses pesticides and most yards are mainly

weeds. I can live with that. I collect the dandelion greens, the

birds can eat bugs and seeds with no worries, the bugs can feed on

the nectar of the flowers.

> >

> > Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain

mint,

> spearmint, , Lemon Basil, Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of

> course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy

> removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of

dollars.

>

> Aaahh, not mint or clover--those take over too. It is a pain taking

out

> the ivy.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> FAM Secret Society is a community based on respect, friendship,

support and acceptance. Everyone is valued.

>

> Don't forget, there are links to other FAM sites on the Links page

in the folder marked " Other FAM Sites. "

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Dandelion is diuretic. The flowers can be made into a yellow paste. When you said grass worshippers I thought of those houses all lined up perfectly in a row where every family owns an SUV and a Lexus, where all the lawns are in immaculate condition because mexicans do the work and insde every home is a grumpy, venezuelan or peruvian maid. Some weeds are good to have. Competition kills creativity and pesticides are only used for competition. mikecarrie01 <mikecarrie01@...> wrote: I like mint for tea and other recipes and I like that clover feeds the bees. Mint will put out runners and spread like wildfire which is okay if you have grass around it then it generally won't spread. Clover will reseed all over the place, though. I like our neighborhood because people aren't Unnaturally Green Grass worshippers and so no one uses

pesticides and most yards are mainly weeds. I can live with that. I collect the dandelion greens, the birds can eat bugs and seeds with no worries, the bugs can feed on the nectar of the flowers.> >> > Some plants to replace it with could be: Peppermint, Mountain mint, > spearmint, , Lemon Basil, Clover, Bermuda Grass, etc.... Of > course the soil would have to be replaced and all the English Ivy >

removed which would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars. > > Aaahh, not mint or clover--those take over too. It is a pain taking out > the ivy.> > > > > > > FAM Secret Society is a community based on respect, friendship, support and acceptance. Everyone is valued. > > Don't forget, there are links to other FAM sites on the Links page in the folder marked "Other FAM Sites." > > > >

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/16/2006 9:27:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, inglori@... writes:

I've long been wondering why so many seem to have an arboro-phobia (I just made that up for "tree-fear" - is there a real word to cover it?) and cut down every tree in sight. I've always loved being surrounded by trees and cannot understand why a majority seem to prefer these boring flat open spaces that's just a hassle to look after and which require a lot of watering so that the great rivers will soon become depleted - at least in the US. Why not plant more trees instead and let gardens look at least remotely natural?

Inger

Lawns are something of a status symbol. They show that one has the resources in time and/or money to have a green lawn. That also includes bushes, flowers, trees and so on. Some places also have laws regarding what a yard must look like at least in terms of grass height. Such laws are mostly for fire and pest control reasons since both can easily thrive in tall grass. As for myself, I see a lawn as a lot of labor and upkeep for something I don't really care about. As long as it looks reasonably clean and uncluttered and the bushes aren't wild, it doesn't matter to me if it is the greenest or prettiest yard. That's why I have a yardman do most of the work rather than do it myself, that and allergies.

Trees do have a limited life span. The older they get, depending of course on the species, to weaker and sicker they become. Trees will eventually die and have to be taken down or they can get infected with diseases or insects that can easily spread to other trees, also necessitating their removal. Another problem not often thought about is the storms. Hurricanes and heavy ice storms can cause trees to fall. That's not so bad if it is out in the woods, but in a neighborhood it becomes very dangerous. Hurricane Isabell, a weak hurricane, felled dozens of trees, including 6 in my yard alone, and about 1 in 4 houses in this area alone took damage, some severe, a few being totally flattened. I have since had a number of trees removed from the yard, some of which threatened my house but also a few that threatened neighbor's yards (meaning trees in my yard were leaning in such a way to hit a neighbor's house had they fallen. I would take out even more but my mother isn't in favor of it. I would rather replace these thick, 100 foot plus tall pines and hardwoods with new trees that would be thinner and reach about 50 to 60 feet, which would cause much less damage to the house if they hit it but would look good all the same. I may do this after I sell some land in Alabama since a few trees were damaged in storms last summer and have since died, that is if I don't have to use the money on my teeth.

PS: It is dendrophobia.

Guest guest

Nick wrote:

> When you said grass worshippers I thought of those houses all lined up perfectly in a row where every family owns an SUV and a Lexus, where all the lawns are in immaculate condition because mexicans do the work and insde every home is a grumpy, venezuelan or peruvian maid."

We don't have any maids or Mexican gardeners in Sweden but the same zzzzzzz square flat lawn is the ideal here too. Only difference is that the man of the house usually cuts the lawn himself (so as to have something to do during those 5 weeks vacation we have here).

I've long been wondering why so many seem to have an arboro-phobia (I just made that up for "tree-fear" - is there a real word to cover it?) and cut down every tree in sight. I've always loved being surrounded by trees and cannot understand why a majority seem to prefer these boring flat open spaces that's just a hassle to look after and which require a lot of watering so that the great rivers will soon become depleted - at least in the US. Why not plant more trees instead and let gardens look at least remotely natural?

Inger

Guest guest

>

> I've long been wondering why so many seem to have an arboro-phobia

(I just made that up for " tree-fear " - is there a real word to cover

it?) and cut down every tree in sight. I've always loved being

surrounded by trees and cannot understand why a majority seem to

prefer these boring flat open spaces that's just a hassle to look

after and which require a lot of watering so that the great rivers

will soon become depleted - at least in the US. Why not plant more

trees instead and let gardens look at least remotely natural?

>

>

They are cutting down trees all around me. I am just sick because

there's a beautiful area I travel through on the way to work every

day that I thought was a park, but apparently not because down all

the trees are going. I feel so sick when I look at it. Some of the

areas are hilly and so I thought they were safe but the greedy

developers don't care--they're cramming townhouses together at crazy

angles on what looks like insufficiently graded hills and they come

right up to the edge of these hills! They'll probably start falling

down the side of the hill in a few years but by that time the

developer and builder will be long gone, along with the trees.

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/17/2006 1:51:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, inglori@... writes:

How can anyone value something non-existent like "status" which is only illusion, more than what is practical and sane? I'm sure they'll start valuing other things when the Colorado river is completely dried up, but by then it is too late.

This varies from place to place. Most people around here keep the yard neat, but only one has an automatic watering system. Their yard is much greener in the summer, but their water bills are much higher too. It is also not uncommon for places in Virginia to place restrictions on watering laws or even banning it altogether if there is a water shortage. In the past they have also banned washing cars and had car washes close several days per week or limit their hours.

We usually get a hurricane about every other year. However, since we are well inland, they are usually tropical storms or weaker by the time they get here. Isabell was much larger and faster moving that average. While it was a tropical storm by the time it reached us, it was about twice as large in area as the normal storm. Because of this, we had wind and rain for a much longer period of time and that contributed greatly to so many trees falling. The next year was also unusual because we had 4 other big storms pass over or very near to us. Most of the time they go to one side or the other, but that year they made direct hits. Fortunately though they were weak enough that they did no damage to us.

Still, I did also have the most dangerous trees cut down. Big trees are nice to look at, until you see the tops swaying 20 feet from side to side and the tops being blown off of others. Then of course there is the lovely crack, whoosh, boom (followed by the whole house shaking) of those big fellows crashing down. It is also worrisome to see a 100 foot pine that had been vertical very visibly leaning after the storm, especially if that lean is toward the house. After Isabell we had 4 trees that had been more or less vertical leaning over the house and 3 leaning at the neighbors, one on one side and two at the other. Any one of those trees would have been enough to completely demolish the house. So, they had to go.

As for the others, I would replant with other, smaller tress and I would leave the big ones way in the back standing, provided they weren't tall enough to reach the house. The problem is one of safety and economics. Sure its nice to have these big trees, but given that we are likely to be entering a more active hurricane period for the next decade or more, the big trees right up on the houses pose a significant safety hazard. It would be safer and more cost effective to remove the most dangerous ones and replace them with new trees that won't grow to be as large and dangerous to life and property.

Guest guest

:

> Lawns are something of a status symbol. They show that one has the resources in time and/or money to have a green lawn.

How can anyone value something non-existent like "status" which is only illusion, more than what is practical and sane? I'm sure they'll start valuing other things when the Colorado river is completely dried up, but by then it is too late.

> Trees do have a limited life span. The older they get, depending of course on the species, to weaker and sicker they become. Trees will eventually die and have to be taken down or they can get infected with diseases or insects that can easily spread to other trees, also necessitating their removal.

True, that's what happened to my apple trees at my old house. :´(

But most trees that get cut down are nothing wrong with whatsoever, they're just "blocking the view." :-(((((

> Another problem not often thought about is the storms.

That's a point, of course...

> Hurricanes and heavy ice storms can cause trees to fall. That's not so bad if it is out in the woods, but in a neighborhood it becomes very dangerous. Hurricane Isabell, a weak hurricane, felled dozens of trees, including 6 in my yard alone, and about 1 in 4 houses in this area alone took damage, some severe, a few being totally flattened.

Isabell felled the last of my apple trees too... But that was the first real bad storm we have had here since 1969. Hardly enough reason to cut down every tree in sight.

> I have since had a number of trees removed from the yard, some of which threatened my house but also a few that threatened neighbor's yards (meaning trees in my yard were leaning in such a way to hit a neighbor's house had they fallen. I would take out even more but my mother isn't in favor of it.

Good. That's the first positive thing I've heard about your mom. ;-)

> I would rather replace these thick, 100 foot plus tall pines and hardwoods with new trees that would be thinner and reach about 50 to 60 feet, which would cause much less damage to the house if they hit it but would look good all the same. I may do this after I sell some land in Alabama since a few trees were damaged in storms last summer and have since died, that is if I don't have to use the money on my teeth.

I like old trees best. They are so awesome. I'm so happy I have more trees where I live now, in the middle of a forest.

PS: It is dendrophobia.

Really? Cool! I'll have to remember that. :-)

Inger

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/17/2006 8:33:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, inglori@... writes:

I was less thrilled when Isabell cut my telephone line and knocked down a huge number of trees all over Sweden. :-(

Inger

Isabell did a lot of damage around here tree wise. Not far from here was one of the city's emergency collection points for tree debris. They mulched most of it up and the pile there was at least 100 yards long and probably 15 feet tall, but I don't know how wide it was. Ivan did a lot of damage in Alabama and along the Gulf Coast. There are still many places with trees down and houses with damage even after all this time.

After Isabell, we were without power for about 13 days, even though the big main lines aren't too far from here. They had to fix the other side of town first or the people over there would have rioted and carried on. I'm not kidding. They were about up in arms two days after the storm that power wasn't back on and were really nasty by about day 5. I don't know if there was actually any trouble over there, but probably not given how the agencies and power company bent over backwards to service them first. They had their power back and were still complaining about other things, like having to travel a little farther to get their foodstamps and welfare checks.

Over here folks were helping neighbors clear yards, were sharing generators, taking people on errands who's cars had been damaged, and keeping an eye out for ne'er do wells. We only had one group of suspect people come through while I was out working in the yard. I think cutting through several inch thick branches with a single stroke from the machete helped convince them to not try anything. But fortunately we didn't have any looting or trouble over here.

Still in a way the Ice Storm of 1999 was worse. That was in the cold of winter and we also lost power for about 14 days. It was worse because trees were falling for several almost constantly whereas with Isabell you could roughly tell when to expect a fall due to the wind rising. After that Ice Storm though, it was just crack, thump; crack, thump, one or two trees every minute for two days. I nearly got flattened by the top that broke out of one of our pines. If the dog hadn't started running and the leash pulled me a few feet over, I'd have probably at least ended up in the hospital. The other thing about the storm was the smell. The air was thick with that pine smell. It wasn't like the cleaning solutions, but had this sickly sweet quality to it that made you feel like throwing up after a little while. If we don't have another one of those storms again it will be too soon.

Guest guest

I can see how that makes more sense if you live in such a storm-rich area as yourself.

In the autumn storm of -69, a tree fell on our house and cut the power. I thought it was the most exciting thing that happened in that decade. Two enormous silver-firs got knocked over too and grandpa cut the tops off to make Christmas trees out of. Prettiest Christmas tree we ever had!

I was less thrilled when Isabell cut my telephone line and knocked down a huge number of trees all over Sweden. :-(

Inger

Re: Re: Wood mystery!

In a message dated 3/17/2006 1:51:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, inglori@... writes:

This varies from place to place. Most people around here keep the yard neat, but only one has an automatic watering system. Their yard is much greener in the summer, but their water bills are much higher too. It is also not uncommon for places in Virginia to place restrictions on watering laws or even banning it altogether if there is a water shortage. In the past they have also banned washing cars and had car washes close several days per week or limit their hours.

We usually get a hurricane about every other year. However, since we are well inland, they are usually tropical storms or weaker by the time they get here. Isabell was much larger and faster moving that average. While it was a tropical storm by the time it reached us, it was about twice as large in area as the normal storm. Because of this, we had wind and rain for a much longer period of time and that contributed greatly to so many trees falling. The next year was also unusual because we had 4 other big storms pass over or very near to us. Most of the time they go to one side or the other, but that year they made direct hits. Fortunately though they were weak enough that they did no damage to us.

Still, I did also have the most dangerous trees cut down. Big trees are nice to look at, until you see the tops swaying 20 feet from side to side and the tops being blown off of others. Then of course there is the lovely crack, whoosh, boom (followed by the whole house shaking) of those big fellows crashing down. It is also worrisome to see a 100 foot pine that had been vertical very visibly leaning after the storm, especially if that lean is toward the house. After Isabell we had 4 trees that had been more or less vertical leaning over the house and 3 leaning at the neighbors, one on one side and two at the other. Any one of those trees would have been enough to completely demolish the house. So, they had to go.

As for the others, I would replant with other, smaller tress and I would leave the big ones way in the back standing, provided they weren't tall enough to reach the house. The problem is one of safety and economics. Sure its nice to have these big trees, but given that we are likely to be entering a more active hurricane period for the next decade or more, the big trees right up on the houses pose a significant safety hazard. It would be safer and more cost effective to remove the most dangerous ones and replace them with new trees that won't grow to be as large and dangerous to life and property.

Guest guest

What would you be called, then? A treener?

> My experience/craft is called "treen", the manufacture (hand making) of small useful objects of wood. Buttons, for example, which I made my first ten years. I am not a cabinet maker, or carpenter. Doors would fall somewhere between those two professions, I believe.

Rainbow

Guest guest

> Inger: "What would you be called, then? A treener?"Yes.Probably the nicest thing I could be called, thanks!  Rainbow