RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Reming us of your labs and the meds you were taking when tested?

>

> Hi,

>

> So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for

primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back

on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary

hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma

and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so

confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and

that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now

because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the

workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the

internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!!

-D

>

Guest guest

If you have it and it's been diagnosed, and it's being treated, I am confused as to when you say you hoped to find the answers you're looking for. What was it you need them to do or confirm? Are you not sure you have PA? Are you hoping you would get to have the surgery? I am sure if you have the evidence on film and wirh your labs finding someone who would be willing to consider all options is possible. What was being in the study for from your perspective?

From: danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@...>Subject: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...hyperaldosteronism Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 2:54 PM

Hi,So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D

Guest guest

Give us your complete story and numbers. ESP meds I were on when tested. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 28, 2012, at 14:54, danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@...> wrote:

Hi,

So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D

Guest guest

I do offer 1 year one on one consultation for u and your team for $500 one time charge. Gives u unlimitedE access to my expertise by email phone or Skype May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 28, 2012, at 14:54, danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@...> wrote:

Hi,

So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D

Guest guest

Hi,

Thanks for responding - here are my labs:

non-dex suppression:

Renin: 2.24

Aldo/PRA ratio:41.1

aldo: 92

CORT:22.7 mcg/dL

dex suppression test:

Renin: 2.35

Aldo/PRA ratio: 51.5

aldo: 121 ng/dL

CORT:1.7

I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have

low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:

Depakote: 1000mg

Lexapro:30 mg

Birth control (Loryna)

Hope this helps!! Thanks again -D

Guest guest

Hi,

non-dex suppression:

dex suppression test:

Birth control (Loryna)

Guest guest

Hi,

non-dex suppression:

dex suppression test:

Birth control (Loryna)

Guest guest

Hi ,

This is a new diagnosis as of Friday and I am just trying to wrap my head around

it. I am receiving no treatment at this time. I guess my hope was that NIH would

confirm my diagnosis (PA) and potentially I could receive surgery or meds. I

just feel like I am back at square one since to my understanding, secondary

hyperaldosteronsim can come from one of a myriad of extra-adrenal causes and it

may take a while to track this thing down. I thought the adenoma was the cause

and now I am not sure what lies ahead. I am only 33 and experience a lot of

fatigue and headaches and I guess I was just hoping to get to feeling better.

Thanks for your response - Take care -D

>

>

> From: danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@...>

> Subject: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's

secondary not primary...

> hyperaldosteronism

> Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 2:54 PM

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Hi,

>

> So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for

primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back

on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary

hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma

internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!!

-D

>

Guest guest

How ofter are you getting blood work to check for liver function and Platelet

count? Go to drugs.com and look an side effects and possable interaction of

Depakote and Lexapro.

>

> Hi,

>

> Thanks for responding - here are my labs:

>

> non-dex suppression:

> Renin: 2.24

> Aldo/PRA ratio:41.1

> aldo: 92

> CORT:22.7 mcg/dL

>

>

> dex suppression test:

> Renin: 2.35

> Aldo/PRA ratio: 51.5

> aldo: 121 ng/dL

> CORT:1.7

>

> I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have

> Depakote: 1000mg

> Lexapro:30 mg

>

> Birth control (Loryna)

>

> Hope this helps!! Thanks again -D

>

Guest guest

Hi,

I actually am pretty good about getting labs for liver function and platelets:

My latest:

platelet count: 236 thousand/ul

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.3   Range: 0.2-1.2 mg/dL

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE   44 Range: 33-115 U/L

AST 12 Range: 10-30 U/L

ALT: 7 6-40 U/L

Kidney test are ok too. Thanks -D

Guest guest

D- You might want to look at the file "Chapter 23 _ _ _ from endotext.org" in our files. You can also find it at the source: http://www.endotext.org/adrenal/adrenal23/adrenalframe23.htm (You can skip to just the secondary aldosteronism sections by using the table of contents on the left.)

>> Hi,> > So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D>

Guest guest

I think some a few weeks ago there was something posted about Birth control meds

causeing false testing for PRA.

>

> Hi,

>

>

> non-dex suppression:

>

>

> dex suppression test:

>

> I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have

>

> Birth control (Loryna)

>

>

Guest guest

Bcp will mess up renin also testing. Did they know u were on it when tested. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 28, 2012, at 21:23, le Colas <danielle_cairns@...> wrote:

Hi,

non-dex suppression:

dex suppression test:

I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:

Birth control (Loryna)

Guest guest

Been known for about 45 years as I recall. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 29, 2012, at 8:21, Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA <georgewbill@...> wrote:

I think some a few weeks ago there was something posted about Birth control meds causeing false testing for PRA.

>

> Hi,

>

>

> non-dex suppression:

>

>

> dex suppression test:

>

> I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:

>

> Birth control (Loryna)

>

>

Guest guest

Hi le, I have been where you are. For 2 years it was thought I had hyperaldosteronism, not Dx'd with PA because my BP was actually low. It turned out I have a genetic disorder of the kidney's called Gitelman's. There is a sister syndrome called Bartters syndrome both genetic kidney disorders. Both syndromes are secondary hyperaldo. My question to you is..did you have the saline supression test? If you did and you supressed then you may need to follow up with a nephrologist. For 2 yrs I thought I had early PA and that is not the case, and now with the correct Dx, I am on my way to feeling so much better. With Gitelman's and Bartters you will have hyperaldosterone, low K, low magnesium, and low BP. Good luck I

hope you get a Dx soon. Laurie From: <jclark24p@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:42 AM Subject: Re: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...

D- You might want to look at the file "Chapter 23 _ _ _ from endotext.org" in our files. You can also find it at the source: http://www.endotext.org/adrenal/adrenal23/adrenalframe23.htm (You can skip to just the secondary aldosteronism sections by using the table of contents on the left.)

>> Hi,> > So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D>

Guest guest

I have interest in high aldo and what if any relationship with mental health.

There have been studies that seem to indicate high aldo is found in some with

bipolar and depression.

My mother was on many meds for bipolar one being Depakote. Depakote is belived

to reduice the manic part of bipolar. Depakote main use is for seizure

disorders.

Just a thought is is possable high aldo can also be related to seizure

disorders?

>

> Hi,

>

>

> non-dex suppression:

>

>

> dex suppression test:

>

>

> Birth control (Loryna)

>

>

Guest guest

Depakote is a seizure med but used off-label for all kinds of things

From: Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA <georgewbill@...>Subject: Re: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...hyperaldosteronism Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 7:19 AM

I have interest in high aldo and what if any relationship with mental health. There have been studies that seem to indicate high aldo is found in some with bipolar and depression. My mother was on many meds for bipolar one being Depakote. Depakote is belived to reduice the manic part of bipolar. Depakote main use is for seizure disorders. Just a thought is is possable high aldo can also be related to seizure disorders? >> Hi,> > Thanks for responding - here are my labs:> > non-dex suppression:> Renin: 2.24> Aldo/PRA ratio:41.1> aldo: 92> CORT:22.7 mcg/dL> > > dex

suppression test:> Renin: 2.35> Aldo/PRA ratio: 51.5> aldo: 121 ng/dL> CORT:1.7> > I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:> Depakote: 1000mg> Lexapro:30 mg> > Birth control (Loryna)> > Hope this helps!! Thanks again -D>

Guest guest

And how does it affect renin and aldo?Need more details on how it is metabolized.Reason I recommend off all drugs if possible for testing. CE Grim MDOn May 30, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Bingham wrote: Depakote is a seizure med but used off-label for all kinds of things From: Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA <georgewbill@...>Subject: Re: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...hyperaldosteronism Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 7:19 AM I have interest in high aldo and what if any relationship with mental health. There have been studies that seem to indicate high aldo is found in some with bipolar and depression. My mother was on many meds for bipolar one being Depakote. Depakote is belived to reduice the manic part of bipolar. Depakote main use is for seizure disorders. Just a thought is is possable high aldo can also be related to seizure disorders? >> Hi,> > Thanks for responding - here are my labs:> > non-dex suppression:> Renin: 2.24> Aldo/PRA ratio:41.1> aldo: 92> CORT:22.7 mcg/dL> > > dex suppression test:> Renin: 2.35> Aldo/PRA ratio: 51.5> aldo: 121 ng/dL> CORT:1.7> > I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:> Depakote: 1000mg> Lexapro:30 mg> > Birth control (Loryna)> > Hope this helps!! Thanks again -D>

Guest guest

The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that chronic elevation of circulating levels of aldosterone leads to increased anxiety. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=18377905 Is A Hormone (aldosterone) The Key To Anxiety?http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/50959.php Glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid receptors are involved in the facilitation of anxiety-like response induced by restraint.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=11340340 She had a history of hypertension diagnosed 10 years before presentation and generalized anxiety disorder known for 5 years. She had gained 18 kg over the previous 3 years despite dieting.http://www.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v3/n7/full/ncpendmet0553.html Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA I have interest in high aldo and what if any relationship with mental health. There have been studies that seem to indicate high aldo is found in some with bipolar and depression. My mother was on many meds for bipolar one being Depakote. Depakote is belived to reduice the manic part of bipolar. Depakote main use is for seizure disorders. Just a thought is is possable high aldo can also be related to seizure disorders? .

Guest guest

And your renin would be very high. Not low or a little low. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 29, 2012, at 18:30, Laurie Galipeau <zanzug2@...> wrote:

Hi le, I have been where you are. For 2 years it was thought I had hyperaldosteronism, not Dx'd with PA because my BP was actually low. It turned out I have a genetic disorder of the kidney's called Gitelman's. There is a sister syndrome called Bartters syndrome both genetic kidney disorders. Both syndromes are secondary hyperaldo. My question to you is..did you have the saline supression test? If you did and you supressed then you may need to follow up with a nephrologist. For 2 yrs I thought I had early PA and that is not the case, and now with the correct Dx, I am on my way to feeling so much better. With Gitelman's and Bartters you will have hyperaldosterone, low K, low magnesium, and low BP. Good luck I

hope you get a Dx soon. Laurie From: <jclark24p@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:42 AM Subject: Re: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...

Guest guest

Quien aSabe?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 30, 2012, at 7:19, Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA <georgewbill@...> wrote:

I have interest in high aldo and what if any relationship with mental health. There have been studies that seem to indicate high aldo is found in some with bipolar and depression.

My mother was on many meds for bipolar one being Depakote. Depakote is belived to reduice the manic part of bipolar. Depakote main use is for seizure disorders.

Just a thought is is possable high aldo can also be related to seizure disorders?

>

> Hi,

>

>

> non-dex suppression:

>

>

> dex suppression test:

>

> I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:

>

> Birth control (Loryna)

>

>

Guest guest

Low potassium can be.

I have interest in high aldo and what if any relationship with mental health. There have been studies that seem to indicate high aldo is found in some with bipolar and depression. My mother was on many meds for bipolar one being Depakote. Depakote is belived to reduice the manic part of bipolar. Depakote main use is for seizure disorders. Just a thought is is possable high aldo can also be related to seizure disorders? >> Hi,> > Thanks for responding - here are my labs:> > non-dex suppression:> Renin: 2.24> Aldo/PRA ratio:41.1> aldo: 92> CORT:22.7 mcg/dL> > > dex

suppression test:> Renin: 2.35> Aldo/PRA ratio: 51.5> aldo: 121 ng/dL> CORT:1.7> > I also have low Vit D, low CO2 and have a small right adrenal adenoma and have low BP (hypotension). I was taking the following at both tests:> Depakote: 1000mg> Lexapro:30 mg> > Birth control (Loryna)> > Hope this helps!! Thanks again -D>

Guest guest

The adenoma is the cause IMHO. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 28, 2012, at 21:30, danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@...> wrote:

Hi ,

This is a new diagnosis as of Friday and I am just trying to wrap my head around it. I am receiving no treatment at this time. I guess my hope was that NIH would confirm my diagnosis (PA) and potentially I could receive surgery or meds. I just feel like I am back at square one since to my understanding, secondary hyperaldosteronsim can come from one of a myriad of extra-adrenal causes and it may take a while to track this thing down. I thought the adenoma was the cause and now I am not sure what lies ahead. I am only 33 and experience a lot of fatigue and headaches and I guess I was just hoping to get to feeling better. Thanks for your response - Take care -D

>

>

> From: danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@...>

> Subject: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...

> hyperaldosteronism

> Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 2:54 PM

>

>

>

> Â

>

>

>

> Hi,

>

> So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D

>

Guest guest

I guess I'm confused, are you saying an adrenal adenoma can cause secondary

hyperaldosteronism? It would seem to me with her renin being 2.+ it would rule

out primary since if I understand it correctly ACE and ARB class meds would

work.

D- You are not pregnant, are you?

> > >

> > >

> > > From: danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@>

> > > Subject: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say

it's secondary not primary...

> > > hyperaldosteronism

> > > Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 2:54 PM

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Â

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial

for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came

back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary

-D

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Ned to know other drugs diet to interpret. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jun 2, 2012, at 21:24, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

I guess I'm confused, are you saying an adrenal adenoma can cause secondary hyperaldosteronism? It would seem to me with her renin being 2.+ it would rule out primary since if I understand it correctly ACE and ARB class meds would work.

D- You are not pregnant, are you?

> > >

> > >

> > > From: danielle_cairns <danielle_cairns@>

> > > Subject: Heard back from NIH RE: trial - they say it's secondary not primary...

> > > hyperaldosteronism

> > > Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 2:54 PM

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Â

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > So I have been corresponding with Dr. L at NIH about joining their trial for primary hyperaldosteronism. They have reviewed my films and labs and came back on Friday and said I am ineligible because they believe I have secondary hyperaldosteronism. He said that despite the fact that I have an adrenal adenoma and high aldosterone, my renin is too high for it to be primary. I am so confused. He said there is another trial they might like to enroll me in and that the cause of my disease may be genetic. I am so frustrated/worried now because I thought I was close to getting answers. Does anyone know what the workup for secondary might involve?? I am just trying to ease my nerves - the internet can be a scary place when you are looking for medical info :) Thanks!!! -D

> > >

> >

> >

>