RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: random aggression

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you for the information. Its good to know im not alone in this battle. I too have given up on doctors and counselors for help. The medications didnt work and wernt teaching him the appropriate way tobehave.I have tried every thing i can think of as fars as discipline goes. Please give me more information on the tomasis thing you talked about.hautian <nin34@...> wrote: >Yep, so much of that sounds totally familiar. Is your son very highstrung? My son can actually sit still for hours, playing solitaire(this is his newest obsession), reading, etc...then he gets "bored" Iguess, and starts hopping around like a maniac! All 9-year-old boysare like that to an extent, but he REALLY gets wound up. I've metothers like him,very excitable, very rigid(inflexible, but good muscletone), and seems tuned in to everything at once (NOTHING gets pastthis boy!) and then he has autistic friends that are very passive & flexible with low muscle tone, who are fairly unresponsive & seem"out-of-it" a lot. My personal theory is that these are two differentsubsets of autistic disorders that haven't been differentiated yet.But I digress. A lot of the time it seems like the only way Olivercan discharge some of the massive sensory input he is being bombardedwith is to act

out...unfortunately, we haven't yet figured out how tohelp him filter out some of that overstimulation. We arephilosophically opposed to putting him on psychoactive meds, whichseems to be all his autism Dr. wanted to discuss...we eventuallystopped going for that reason. I'm hoping that more impulse controlwill come as he gets older. Good to know though that other people arehaving the same issue, even if we're not having much luck solving it! > Wow, this is something I know alot about. No answers though causeit is a huge mystery. My son is 10 almost 11 now. And since he waslittle he would have these brief, out of nowhere acts of aggression.He is a pretty happy boy most of the time. He is smart andaffectionate too. When he was small he used to run like a bull out ofno where and knock down his little sister. This was extremelyfrightening to me because we could never see it coming. He wasnttalking at that time so

we thought it was a form or frustration ofcommunication. We started to see patterns like when we went out...weused to have to call the babysitter and tell her we were 1 minute awayand to please pick up my daughter cause when we walked in the house, would charge at her. He would go into a fit and wait till we puther down. Once he made contact, even alittle he calmed right down. Butwe couldnt let him get to her...even for alittle tap...because we hadto make it known that hitting was no way acceptable.> When he was in kindergarden I started to hear about auditoryprocessing therapies like AIT or tomatis. As I read about it andhearing sensitivities...and understanding that sounds we are totallyignoring cause they are in such a part of our daily lives could becausing pain for them which could result in this random acts. ex-yousaid your child was putting his head in your lap and suddenly bit you.Were you humming?

singing? talking? yawned? the reason why I sayyawned is cause I noticed when anyone yawned my son freaked. o-it tookawhile to notice this one. I was driving, son sat behind me, I yawned(quietly) and he started freaking and hitting the seat. A professionalthought maybe a yawn is scarey in site...but he was behind me. I alsostarted to notice other sounds bothering him. He always put hisfingers in his ears but I didnt really know why. So, at the end ofKindergarden I decided we had to try the Tomatis method. It was verygood for him. He still had sensitivities to sounds but I saw greatimprovements. Ex-I could never ride with the radio on. I was able toafter that. But he still does not like when a male dj comes on to saythe ...98.5 kmoe..blah blah stuff. He yells still "shut it off, I donot like that man's voice...man, do not say 97.5 Klzd whatever."> after tomatis, we started weekly music therapy sessions. We still doit

and he is in 5th grade now. Throughout the past 5 years we have hadsteps forward and back. he did go on medication two yearsago..tenex..and it was a disaster for us. took a break, and now he ison a generic of prozac.> As a whole he is much better with the acting out but I never let himwalk without me holding on to him in public. I never take a chance.and he hates public tvs. Riding the school bus, since there is a girlthat rides that makes constant noises that bother him, he wearsheadphones and listens to calm music the whole ride.> at school, he will go after another kid on the playground and hitthem. I used to think it was just from sounds but have learned it isalso because of movements people make. He will say things like I didntlike the way the boy was moving his arms like this (I picture kidsbeing silly and acting funny). Also, if kids are roughhousing andhitting each other for fun...he yells, the boy

hit that boy...and hepolices him by going over and hitting him. He doesnt get that the kidsare playing.> The school district has a behaviorist group that comes in to theschool to work with and the teachers. Some periods of time, wehave to increase the hours. like in spring time when allergies arebothering him, he usually regresses and needs extra support.> The behaviorist has given him methods to do when he is upset. Hetotally gets that he shouldnt hit. but it is like an IMPULSE and heloses all control of himself and thought. I also bribe him big timewith rewards for good days at school. He earns stamps for his schoolwork, etc...and when he comes home with a full sheet of those stampshe knows he earns a prize. they are small. and at the end of the weekif he has a perfect week, he earns a "grand prize" which is usuallysomething bigger (not necessary in cost, more so for something hewants). Like now, last

week he wanted to see the new movie Flushedaway, so that was the grand prize of the week. and yes, we went on theweekend. This week grand prize is Saturday McD's happy meal since theyare giving out the toys from flushed away. some weeks are we shop onebay for something he wants (two weeks ago he wanted the teacup chipfrom beauty and the beast). It goes in waves but he always wantssomething. Sometimes his prize is money that he saves for thegrandprize being a trip to the store to buy something. etc etc. thishas really helped in his learning of money and buying and saving & spending. I try to have him pay the cashier too. Great life learningskills.> o-my, I have written a book here...and funny, I can keep going. Ihope all my stories have helped. There are so many. also, like thetrip to disney and him wacking the kid infront of us. And the parentsreaction..how I had to apologize and say he has autism and say he

wastrying to say hi that way. and the looks. Geez, the looks...it is anaweful feeling when your child hurts another person. It is more thanmiserable. That would be a good support group topic....How we feel.> Randi~> mom to mitchell 13, ryan 10 (asd) & danielle 8> __________________________________________________________> Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety andsecurity tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos fromacross the web, free AOL Mail and more.>

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

Thank you for the information. Its good to know im not alone in this battle. I too have given up on doctors and counselors for help. The medications didnt work and wernt teaching him the appropriate way tobehave.I have tried every thing i can think of as fars as discipline goes. Please give me more information on the tomasis thing you talked about.hautian <nin34@...> wrote: >Yep, so much of that sounds totally familiar. Is your son very highstrung? My son can actually sit still for hours, playing solitaire(this is his newest obsession), reading, etc...then he gets "bored" Iguess, and starts hopping around like a maniac! All 9-year-old boysare like that to an extent, but he REALLY gets wound up. I've metothers like him,very excitable, very rigid(inflexible, but good muscletone), and seems tuned in to everything at once (NOTHING gets pastthis boy!) and then he has autistic friends that are very passive & flexible with low muscle tone, who are fairly unresponsive & seem"out-of-it" a lot. My personal theory is that these are two differentsubsets of autistic disorders that haven't been differentiated yet.But I digress. A lot of the time it seems like the only way Olivercan discharge some of the massive sensory input he is being bombardedwith is to act

out...unfortunately, we haven't yet figured out how tohelp him filter out some of that overstimulation. We arephilosophically opposed to putting him on psychoactive meds, whichseems to be all his autism Dr. wanted to discuss...we eventuallystopped going for that reason. I'm hoping that more impulse controlwill come as he gets older. Good to know though that other people arehaving the same issue, even if we're not having much luck solving it! > Wow, this is something I know alot about. No answers though causeit is a huge mystery. My son is 10 almost 11 now. And since he waslittle he would have these brief, out of nowhere acts of aggression.He is a pretty happy boy most of the time. He is smart andaffectionate too. When he was small he used to run like a bull out ofno where and knock down his little sister. This was extremelyfrightening to me because we could never see it coming. He wasnttalking at that time so

we thought it was a form or frustration ofcommunication. We started to see patterns like when we went out...weused to have to call the babysitter and tell her we were 1 minute awayand to please pick up my daughter cause when we walked in the house, would charge at her. He would go into a fit and wait till we puther down. Once he made contact, even alittle he calmed right down. Butwe couldnt let him get to her...even for alittle tap...because we hadto make it known that hitting was no way acceptable.> When he was in kindergarden I started to hear about auditoryprocessing therapies like AIT or tomatis. As I read about it andhearing sensitivities...and understanding that sounds we are totallyignoring cause they are in such a part of our daily lives could becausing pain for them which could result in this random acts. ex-yousaid your child was putting his head in your lap and suddenly bit you.Were you humming?

singing? talking? yawned? the reason why I sayyawned is cause I noticed when anyone yawned my son freaked. o-it tookawhile to notice this one. I was driving, son sat behind me, I yawned(quietly) and he started freaking and hitting the seat. A professionalthought maybe a yawn is scarey in site...but he was behind me. I alsostarted to notice other sounds bothering him. He always put hisfingers in his ears but I didnt really know why. So, at the end ofKindergarden I decided we had to try the Tomatis method. It was verygood for him. He still had sensitivities to sounds but I saw greatimprovements. Ex-I could never ride with the radio on. I was able toafter that. But he still does not like when a male dj comes on to saythe ...98.5 kmoe..blah blah stuff. He yells still "shut it off, I donot like that man's voice...man, do not say 97.5 Klzd whatever."> after tomatis, we started weekly music therapy sessions. We still doit

and he is in 5th grade now. Throughout the past 5 years we have hadsteps forward and back. he did go on medication two yearsago..tenex..and it was a disaster for us. took a break, and now he ison a generic of prozac.> As a whole he is much better with the acting out but I never let himwalk without me holding on to him in public. I never take a chance.and he hates public tvs. Riding the school bus, since there is a girlthat rides that makes constant noises that bother him, he wearsheadphones and listens to calm music the whole ride.> at school, he will go after another kid on the playground and hitthem. I used to think it was just from sounds but have learned it isalso because of movements people make. He will say things like I didntlike the way the boy was moving his arms like this (I picture kidsbeing silly and acting funny). Also, if kids are roughhousing andhitting each other for fun...he yells, the boy

hit that boy...and hepolices him by going over and hitting him. He doesnt get that the kidsare playing.> The school district has a behaviorist group that comes in to theschool to work with and the teachers. Some periods of time, wehave to increase the hours. like in spring time when allergies arebothering him, he usually regresses and needs extra support.> The behaviorist has given him methods to do when he is upset. Hetotally gets that he shouldnt hit. but it is like an IMPULSE and heloses all control of himself and thought. I also bribe him big timewith rewards for good days at school. He earns stamps for his schoolwork, etc...and when he comes home with a full sheet of those stampshe knows he earns a prize. they are small. and at the end of the weekif he has a perfect week, he earns a "grand prize" which is usuallysomething bigger (not necessary in cost, more so for something hewants). Like now, last

week he wanted to see the new movie Flushedaway, so that was the grand prize of the week. and yes, we went on theweekend. This week grand prize is Saturday McD's happy meal since theyare giving out the toys from flushed away. some weeks are we shop onebay for something he wants (two weeks ago he wanted the teacup chipfrom beauty and the beast). It goes in waves but he always wantssomething. Sometimes his prize is money that he saves for thegrandprize being a trip to the store to buy something. etc etc. thishas really helped in his learning of money and buying and saving & spending. I try to have him pay the cashier too. Great life learningskills.> o-my, I have written a book here...and funny, I can keep going. Ihope all my stories have helped. There are so many. also, like thetrip to disney and him wacking the kid infront of us. And the parentsreaction..how I had to apologize and say he has autism and say he

wastrying to say hi that way. and the looks. Geez, the looks...it is anaweful feeling when your child hurts another person. It is more thanmiserable. That would be a good support group topic....How we feel.> Randi~> mom to mitchell 13, ryan 10 (asd) & danielle 8> __________________________________________________________> Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety andsecurity tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos fromacross the web, free AOL Mail and more.>

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

I wish i could say aha there is the reason for my sons behavior but i cant. He has had every test done. eeg, hearing tests, ect but nothing is wrong. the meds didnt work either. He was calm yesterday and then hit his sister with a doll for no reason. He is not allowed to ride the school bus and is about to be expelled from school. Please help.all4cam@... wrote: I can't believe that there is another soul that described the very thing my son used to do when he was a toddler.OMG! My

son,just as you described with yours,would be all snuggled up or just something very casual and out of no where "wham!" he would slap the sh*t out of me! He did this with everyone.It eventually went away but I never ever knew what the hell it was caused by.My guess is that it could have been he was feeling an "aura" or siezure because when he was 4yrs we had a 24hr ambulatory EEG done(which showed complex partial seizures) because we were seeing other behaviors(Fight/flight),he was less verbal than he is now (10yrs)so he would have such a fear in his eyes and run or he would go to the ground screaming and putting your hand on his head as if to say "this is where it hurts".It was awful! Once we got the Tegretol on board things improved.Over a period of time we ended up having to up the dose and change to other meds which he is still on.He's had very good control of his seizures for over a year now but just last year his aggressive

behaviors(Bitng,pinching,kicking,destructiveness)has appeared.This,however I'm not convinced it seizure activity but perhaps something either hormonal or something which I've learned from alot of other parents with boys the same age have experienced.StaceyFrom: Kat <beedo4me >Date: 2006/11/09 Thu AM 07:35:23 CSTautism Subject: Re: Random Aggressionhautian,This is actually more common than you might be thinking. pulls cloths, kicks, bites, hits, and pulls hair. The other day he and I were cuddling just as sweet and peaceful as can be and he put his head on my lap. I was stroking his hair when all of the sudden he hauled off and bit me (real hard) on the inside of my thigh (breaking the skin). Oh buddy

that hurt!He terrorizes his poor brother.I know that sometimes he does this just to get a rise and a reaction out of me. Othertimes I think he does it for sensory stimulation. And other times I'm just not sure WHY he does it. It's like he doesn't even think about it and then just does it, lickity-split, to whoever might be nearest to him.He was placed on Risperdal last year and that has helped tremendously. Unfortunately, I think we need to up his dosage a bit because his aggressive behaviors are getting bad again.OH! And, some of the things he used to do (like pull hair) have just stopped. I think that some of these behaviors are just stages they go through like any NT kid.HTH!Kat>> Hello! My son is a pretty

high-functioning autistic, but he does this> really odd thing. He seems to have this almost compulsive habit of> kicking, biting, punching, throwing rocks at, etc. people for no> apparent reason. He'll be on the playground, playing peacefully, and> out of nowhere he'll just sock the kid standing next to him. Has> anyone else dealt with similar behavior; more importantly, has anyone> had any luck stopping this? Thanks so much!>

Everyone is raving about the all-new beta.

Guest guest

I wish i could say aha there is the reason for my sons behavior but i cant. He has had every test done. eeg, hearing tests, ect but nothing is wrong. the meds didnt work either. He was calm yesterday and then hit his sister with a doll for no reason. He is not allowed to ride the school bus and is about to be expelled from school. Please help.all4cam@... wrote: I can't believe that there is another soul that described the very thing my son used to do when he was a toddler.OMG! My

son,just as you described with yours,would be all snuggled up or just something very casual and out of no where "wham!" he would slap the sh*t out of me! He did this with everyone.It eventually went away but I never ever knew what the hell it was caused by.My guess is that it could have been he was feeling an "aura" or siezure because when he was 4yrs we had a 24hr ambulatory EEG done(which showed complex partial seizures) because we were seeing other behaviors(Fight/flight),he was less verbal than he is now (10yrs)so he would have such a fear in his eyes and run or he would go to the ground screaming and putting your hand on his head as if to say "this is where it hurts".It was awful! Once we got the Tegretol on board things improved.Over a period of time we ended up having to up the dose and change to other meds which he is still on.He's had very good control of his seizures for over a year now but just last year his aggressive

behaviors(Bitng,pinching,kicking,destructiveness)has appeared.This,however I'm not convinced it seizure activity but perhaps something either hormonal or something which I've learned from alot of other parents with boys the same age have experienced.StaceyFrom: Kat <beedo4me >Date: 2006/11/09 Thu AM 07:35:23 CSTautism Subject: Re: Random Aggressionhautian,This is actually more common than you might be thinking. pulls cloths, kicks, bites, hits, and pulls hair. The other day he and I were cuddling just as sweet and peaceful as can be and he put his head on my lap. I was stroking his hair when all of the sudden he hauled off and bit me (real hard) on the inside of my thigh (breaking the skin). Oh buddy

that hurt!He terrorizes his poor brother.I know that sometimes he does this just to get a rise and a reaction out of me. Othertimes I think he does it for sensory stimulation. And other times I'm just not sure WHY he does it. It's like he doesn't even think about it and then just does it, lickity-split, to whoever might be nearest to him.He was placed on Risperdal last year and that has helped tremendously. Unfortunately, I think we need to up his dosage a bit because his aggressive behaviors are getting bad again.OH! And, some of the things he used to do (like pull hair) have just stopped. I think that some of these behaviors are just stages they go through like any NT kid.HTH!Kat>> Hello! My son is a pretty

high-functioning autistic, but he does this> really odd thing. He seems to have this almost compulsive habit of> kicking, biting, punching, throwing rocks at, etc. people for no> apparent reason. He'll be on the playground, playing peacefully, and> out of nowhere he'll just sock the kid standing next to him. Has> anyone else dealt with similar behavior; more importantly, has anyone> had any luck stopping this? Thanks so much!>

Guest guest

Have you tried B-12 shots and omega 3 fatty acids? That has helped J alot. Lois

Random Aggression

Hi, My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've been reading all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors in my son. He's been on many differant meds and nothing is working. He not only hits and bites, he runs his head into the walls and floors, hits his fore head with his knees. He punches hisself with his fists, he has gone so far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. And its like he can't control it, and the only way to unload is to attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last year he broke the teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is a really lovable boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but then like the one mother said, anything can set him off.He is going into the Hospital for yet another med change, the doctor won't let me do it at home she fears for me when Blake is off his meds.Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom of Blake

Guest guest

Have you tried B-12 shots and omega 3 fatty acids? That has helped J alot. Lois

Random Aggression

Hi, My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've been reading all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors in my son. He's been on many differant meds and nothing is working. He not only hits and bites, he runs his head into the walls and floors, hits his fore head with his knees. He punches hisself with his fists, he has gone so far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. And its like he can't control it, and the only way to unload is to attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last year he broke the teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is a really lovable boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but then like the one mother said, anything can set him off.He is going into the Hospital for yet another med change, the doctor won't let me do it at home she fears for me when Blake is off his meds.Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom of Blake

Guest guest

I understand what you mean about all the different testing but theres just no

other way to be sure.Ruling things out is the best way,in my opinion,otherwise

you don't really know what it is you're treating and what it is that you're not

treating.I had to go through a process of elimination with my son as well.

I took him to get xrays of his teeth,had him tested for celiacs disease,cultures

of his BM for blood and parasites,food allergies etc.I was taking him to see a

child psychiatrist that rx'd Risperdal(weight gain)Adderal (stopped his

apetite),Metadate(stopped appetite)Abilify(constipated him)Seroquel(which seemed

to make things worse) and now he's on Buspirone(also known as Buspar)which has

been the only thing he seems to have responded well to.The only initial side

effect is drowsiness.

Although the dr rx'd a higher dose I have him at 5mg a day right now (which I

believe our kids are very sensitive to dosage so it's imperative that you start

at a low dose and work your way up if neccessary) and I supplement with

childrens multi-vitamin,Omega 3,6 & 9,B12(sublingual)and zinc and just added

folinic acid w/methyl B12.This has proven to be the best remedy for his out of

control,impulsive aggresive,destructive behavior that I lived with almost

everyday for over a year.

All the $$ time and energy I put into dr's and medicines didn't work for me

...for others it does I cannot reject that but I'm saying for us it did not

work.It was a long journey to get to this point and on some days he still has

his " episodes " but no where near what they were before.I cannot tell you how

horrible it was.I really felt like I was truely in this alone.This group and a

few others I've joined have proven to me that I am not.

Stacey

Date: 2006/11/13 Mon AM 09:41:09 CST

autism

Subject: Re: Re: Random Aggression

I wish i could say aha there is the reason for my sons behavior but i cant.  He

has had every test done.  eeg, hearing tests, ect but nothing is wrong.  the

meds didnt work either.  He was calm yesterday and then hit his sister with a

doll for no reason.  He is not allowed to ride the school bus and is about to be

expelled from school.  Please help.

all4cam@... wrote: I can't believe that there is another soul that

described the very thing my son used to do when he was a toddler.OMG!

My son,just as you described with yours,would be all snuggled up or just

something very casual and out of no where " wham! " he would slap the sh*t out of

me! He did this with everyone.It eventually went away but I never ever knew what

the hell it was caused by.

My guess is that it could have been he was feeling an " aura " or siezure because

when he was 4yrs we had a 24hr ambulatory EEG done(which showed complex partial

seizures) because we were seeing other behaviors(Fight/flight),he was less

verbal than he is now (10yrs)so he would have such a fear in his eyes and run or

he would go to the ground screaming and putting your hand on his head as if to

say " this is where it hurts " .

It was awful! Once we got the Tegretol on board things improved.Over a period of

time we ended up having to up the dose and change to other meds which he is

still on.He's had very good control of his seizures for over a year now but just

last year his aggressive behaviors(Bitng,pinching,kicking,destructiveness)has

appeared.This,however I'm not convinced it seizure activity but perhaps

something either hormonal or something which I've learned from alot of other

parents with boys the same age have experienced.

Stacey

Date: 2006/11/09 Thu AM 07:35:23 CST

autism

Subject: Re: Random Aggression

hautian,

This is actually more common than you might be thinking. pulls

cloths, kicks, bites, hits, and pulls hair. The other day he and I were

cuddling just as sweet and peaceful as can be and he put his head on my

lap. I was stroking his hair when all of the sudden he hauled off and

bit me (real hard) on the inside of my thigh (breaking the skin). Oh

buddy that hurt!

He terrorizes his poor brother.

I know that sometimes he does this just to get a rise and a reaction

out of me. Othertimes I think he does it for sensory stimulation. And

other times I'm just not sure WHY he does it. It's like he doesn't even

think about it and then just does it, lickity-split, to whoever might

be nearest to him.

He was placed on Risperdal last year and that has helped tremendously.

Unfortunately, I think we need to up his dosage a bit because his

aggressive behaviors are getting bad again.

OH! And, some of the things he used to do (like pull hair) have just

stopped. I think that some of these behaviors are just stages they go

through like any NT kid.

HTH!

Kat

>

> Hello! My son is a pretty high-functioning autistic, but he does this

> really odd thing. He seems to have this almost compulsive habit of

> kicking, biting, punching, throwing rocks at, etc. people for no

> apparent reason. He'll be on the playground, playing peacefully, and<BR>> out

of nowhere he'll just sock the kid standing next to him. Has

> anyone else dealt with similar behavior; more importantly, has anyone

> had any luck stopping this? Thanks so much!

>

Guest guest

>

> Hello! My son is a pretty high-functioning autistic, but he does this

> really odd thing. He seems to have this almost compulsive habit of

> kicking, biting, punching, throwing rocks at, etc. people for no

> apparent reason. He'll be on the playground, playing peacefully, and

> out of nowhere he'll just sock the kid standing next to him. Has

> anyone else dealt with similar behavior; more importantly, has anyone

> had any luck stopping this? Thanks so much!

>

I am wondering if anyone's doctors have proposed an explanation for

this kind of behavior. We stopped going to our autism Dr. because all

he seemed to want to do was reach for the prescription pad, and we are

philosophically opposed to putting our son on meds. We don't think his

issues are going to be solved with a pill, and from what I am hearing

from everyone else we are probably right. So if anyone has gotten any

sort of explanation for this aggressive behavior that makes any sense

at all, lay it on me! I am an exercise science student, so be as

technical as you can & I will understand it. Thanks!

Guest guest

There are several good resources to help with

aggession in autism. The following books are a good

starting place. They help make sense out of

aggressive behavior that appears random.

Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare for

Children on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,

Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine House

V. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: A

Functional Communication Training Approach, Guilford

Press.

E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-Based

Intervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide for

Producing Positive Change. H. s

Luke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out of

Medications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. Future

Horizons.

As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world's

foremost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an expert

on treating people with ASDs with behavior problems,

and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of an

adult with autism. You might also find the section on

my website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggression

useful. Log on and click " Common Problems " and then

scroll down to " Aggression "

--- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74@...> wrote:

> I too have a child with similar problems that you

> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed

> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but

> loving at others. I have tried many medications and

> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the

> school bus and is about to be expelled from school.

> I have tried many forms of discipline but no help.

> I would like any and all sugestions.

>

> <cynthia343@...> wrote: Hi,

> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've

> been reading

> all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors

> in my son. He's

> been on many differant meds and nothing is working.

> He not only hits

> and bites, he runs his head into the walls and

> floors, hits his fore

> head with his knees. He punches hisself with his

> fists, he has gone so

> far as to bit the whole top of his hand off.

> And its like he can't control it, and the only way

> to unload is to

> attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last

> year he broke the

> teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is

> a really lovable

> boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but

> then like the one

> mother said, anything can set him off.

> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med

> change, the doctor

> won't let me do it at home she fears for me when

> Blake is off his meds.

> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom

> of Blake

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low

> PC-to-Phone call rates.

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Want to start your own business?

Learn how on Small Business.

http://smallbusiness./r-index

Guest guest

Press.

Horizons.

--- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74@...> wrote:

>

> <cynthia343@...> wrote: Hi,

> been reading

> in my son. He's

> He not only hits

> floors, hits his fore

> fists, he has gone so

> to unload is to

> year he broke the

> a really lovable

> then like the one

> change, the doctor

> Blake is off his meds.

> of Blake

>

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Guest guest

Hi everyone! I have been reading your posts regarding random aggression and wondering....have your doctors looked at your children or tested them for bipolar disorder? I suggest this only because there have been articles linking bipoloar disorder problems and autism in children~ and since my family has a history of it as well~we are looking into it as a possible issue for GW's sudden fits of anger~ and a lot of what I have been reading where one child justs hits another for the sake of hitting sounds very familiar. I have been googling and searching by using bipolar and autism...... bipolar issues can come from a chemical imbalance in the body~not just neuropsychological ..... Just a thought. Aprilcrystal recoy <crystalrecoy74@...> wrote: I wish i could say aha there is the reason for my sons behavior but i cant. He has had every test done. eeg, hearing tests, ect but nothing is wrong. the meds didnt work either. He was calm yesterday and then hit his sister with a doll for no reason. He is not allowed to ride the school bus and is about to be expelled from school. Please help.all4camverizon (DOT) net wrote: I can't believe that there is another soul that described the very thing my son used to do when he was a

toddler.OMG! My son,just as you described with yours,would be all snuggled up or just something very casual and out of no where "wham!" he would slap the sh*t out of me! He did this with everyone.It eventually went away but I never ever knew what the hell it was caused by.My guess is that it could have been he was feeling an "aura" or siezure because when he was 4yrs we had a 24hr ambulatory EEG done(which showed complex partial seizures) because we were seeing other behaviors(Fight/flight),he was less verbal than he is now (10yrs)so he would have such a fear in his eyes and run or he would go to the ground screaming and putting your hand on his head as if to say "this is where it hurts".It was awful! Once we got the Tegretol on board things improved.Over a period of time we ended up having to up the dose and change to other meds which he is still on.He's had very good control of his seizures for over a year now but just last year his

aggressive behaviors(Bitng,pinching,kicking,destructiveness)has appeared.This,however I'm not convinced it seizure activity but perhaps something either hormonal or something which I've learned from alot of other parents with boys the same age have experienced.StaceyFrom: Kat <beedo4me >Date: 2006/11/09 Thu AM 07:35:23 CSTautism Subject: Re: Random Aggressionhautian,This is actually more common than you might be thinking. pulls cloths, kicks, bites, hits, and pulls hair. The other day he and I were cuddling just as sweet and peaceful as can be and he put his head on my lap. I was stroking his hair when all of the sudden he hauled off and bit me (real hard) on the inside of my thigh (breaking the skin). Oh

buddy that hurt!He terrorizes his poor brother.I know that sometimes he does this just to get a rise and a reaction out of me. Othertimes I think he does it for sensory stimulation. And other times I'm just not sure WHY he does it. It's like he doesn't even think about it and then just does it, lickity-split, to whoever might be nearest to him.He was placed on Risperdal last year and that has helped tremendously. Unfortunately, I think we need to up his dosage a bit because his aggressive behaviors are getting bad again.OH! And, some of the things he used to do (like pull hair) have just stopped. I think that some of these behaviors are just stages they go through like any NT kid.HTH!Kat>> Hello! My son is a pretty

high-functioning autistic, but he does this> really odd thing. He seems to have this almost compulsive habit of> kicking, biting, punching, throwing rocks at, etc. people for no> apparent reason. He'll be on the playground, playing peacefully, and> out of nowhere he'll just sock the kid standing next to him. Has> anyone else dealt with similar behavior; more importantly, has anyone> had any luck stopping this? Thanks so much!> Everyone is raving about the all-new beta.

Guest guest

Hi everyone! I have been reading your posts regarding random aggression and wondering....have your doctors looked at your children or tested them for bipolar disorder? I suggest this only because there have been articles linking bipoloar disorder problems and autism in children~ and since my family has a history of it as well~we are looking into it as a possible issue for GW's sudden fits of anger~ and a lot of what I have been reading where one child justs hits another for the sake of hitting sounds very familiar. I have been googling and searching by using bipolar and autism...... bipolar issues can come from a chemical imbalance in the body~not just neuropsychological ..... Just a thought. Aprilcrystal recoy <crystalrecoy74@...> wrote: I wish i could say aha there is the reason for my sons behavior but i cant. He has had every test done. eeg, hearing tests, ect but nothing is wrong. the meds didnt work either. He was calm yesterday and then hit his sister with a doll for no reason. He is not allowed to ride the school bus and is about to be expelled from school. Please help.all4camverizon (DOT) net wrote: I can't believe that there is another soul that described the very thing my son used to do when he was a

toddler.OMG! My son,just as you described with yours,would be all snuggled up or just something very casual and out of no where "wham!" he would slap the sh*t out of me! He did this with everyone.It eventually went away but I never ever knew what the hell it was caused by.My guess is that it could have been he was feeling an "aura" or siezure because when he was 4yrs we had a 24hr ambulatory EEG done(which showed complex partial seizures) because we were seeing other behaviors(Fight/flight),he was less verbal than he is now (10yrs)so he would have such a fear in his eyes and run or he would go to the ground screaming and putting your hand on his head as if to say "this is where it hurts".It was awful! Once we got the Tegretol on board things improved.Over a period of time we ended up having to up the dose and change to other meds which he is still on.He's had very good control of his seizures for over a year now but just last year his

aggressive behaviors(Bitng,pinching,kicking,destructiveness)has appeared.This,however I'm not convinced it seizure activity but perhaps something either hormonal or something which I've learned from alot of other parents with boys the same age have experienced.StaceyFrom: Kat <beedo4me >Date: 2006/11/09 Thu AM 07:35:23 CSTautism Subject: Re: Random Aggressionhautian,This is actually more common than you might be thinking. pulls cloths, kicks, bites, hits, and pulls hair. The other day he and I were cuddling just as sweet and peaceful as can be and he put his head on my lap. I was stroking his hair when all of the sudden he hauled off and bit me (real hard) on the inside of my thigh (breaking the skin). Oh

buddy that hurt!He terrorizes his poor brother.I know that sometimes he does this just to get a rise and a reaction out of me. Othertimes I think he does it for sensory stimulation. And other times I'm just not sure WHY he does it. It's like he doesn't even think about it and then just does it, lickity-split, to whoever might be nearest to him.He was placed on Risperdal last year and that has helped tremendously. Unfortunately, I think we need to up his dosage a bit because his aggressive behaviors are getting bad again.OH! And, some of the things he used to do (like pull hair) have just stopped. I think that some of these behaviors are just stages they go through like any NT kid.HTH!Kat>> Hello! My son is a pretty

high-functioning autistic, but he does this> really odd thing. He seems to have this almost compulsive habit of> kicking, biting, punching, throwing rocks at, etc. people for no> apparent reason. He'll be on the playground, playing peacefully, and> out of nowhere he'll just sock the kid standing next to him. Has> anyone else dealt with similar behavior; more importantly, has anyone> had any luck stopping this? Thanks so much!> Everyone is raving about the all-new beta.

Guest guest

Guest guest

Has anyone read or hear of the book by Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns. The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used.... Has anyone else read/used or heard of this book? April <mnaut2187@...> wrote: There are several good resources to help withaggession in autism. The following books are a goodstarting place. They help make sense out ofaggressive behavior that appears random.Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare forChildren on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine HouseV. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: AFunctional Communication Training Approach, GuilfordPress.E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-BasedIntervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide forProducing Positive Change. H. sLuke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out ofMedications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. FutureHorizons.As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world'sforemost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an experton treating people with ASDs with

behavior problems,and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of anadult with autism. You might also find the section onmy website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggressionuseful. Log on and click "Common Problems" and thenscroll down to "Aggression" --- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 > wrote:> I too have a child with similar problems that you> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but> loving at others. I have tried many medications and> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the> school bus and is about to be expelled from school. > I have tried many forms of discipline but no help. > I would like any and all sugestions.> > <cynthia343 > wrote:

Hi,> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've> been reading > all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors> in my son. He's > been on many differant meds and nothing is working.> He not only hits > and bites, he runs his head into the walls and> floors, hits his fore > head with his knees. He punches hisself with his> fists, he has gone so > far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. > And its like he can't control it, and the only way> to unload is to > attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last> year he broke the > teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is> a really lovable > boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but> then like the one > mother said, anything can set him off.> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med> change, the doctor > won't let me do it at

home she fears for me when> Blake is off his meds.> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom> of Blake> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low> PC-to-Phone call rates.__________________________________________________________Want to start your own business?Learn how on Small Business.http://smallbusiness./r-index

Guest guest

Has anyone read or hear of the book by Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns. The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used.... Has anyone else read/used or heard of this book? April <mnaut2187@...> wrote: There are several good resources to help withaggession in autism. The following books are a goodstarting place. They help make sense out ofaggressive behavior that appears random.Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare forChildren on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine HouseV. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: AFunctional Communication Training Approach, GuilfordPress.E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-BasedIntervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide forProducing Positive Change. H. sLuke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out ofMedications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. FutureHorizons.As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world'sforemost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an experton treating people with ASDs with

behavior problems,and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of anadult with autism. You might also find the section onmy website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggressionuseful. Log on and click "Common Problems" and thenscroll down to "Aggression" --- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 > wrote:> I too have a child with similar problems that you> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but> loving at others. I have tried many medications and> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the> school bus and is about to be expelled from school. > I have tried many forms of discipline but no help. > I would like any and all sugestions.> > <cynthia343 > wrote:

Hi,> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've> been reading > all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors> in my son. He's > been on many differant meds and nothing is working.> He not only hits > and bites, he runs his head into the walls and> floors, hits his fore > head with his knees. He punches hisself with his> fists, he has gone so > far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. > And its like he can't control it, and the only way> to unload is to > attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last> year he broke the > teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is> a really lovable > boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but> then like the one > mother said, anything can set him off.> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med> change, the doctor > won't let me do it at

home she fears for me when> Blake is off his meds.> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom> of Blake> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low> PC-to-Phone call rates.__________________________________________________________Want to start your own business?Learn how on Small Business.http://smallbusiness./r-index

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have it and like it...have used alot of their suggestions with good success...I find most anything by Myles and/or Tony Attwood to be helpful..just my 2 cents

May you have warm words on a cold evening,a full moon on a dark night,and a smooth road all the way to your door.

Re: Random Aggression

Has anyone read or hear of the book by Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns.

The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used....

Has anyone else read/used or heard of this book?

April <mnaut2187 > wrote:

There are several good resources to help withaggession in autism. The following books are a goodstarting place. They help make sense out ofaggressive behavior that appears random.Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare forChildren on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine HouseV. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: AFunctional Communication Training Approach, GuilfordPress.E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-BasedIntervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide forProducing Positive Change. H. sLuke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out ofMedications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. FutureHorizons.As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world'sforemost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an experton treating people with ASDs with behavior problems,and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of anadult with autism. You might also find the section onmy website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggressionuseful. Log on and click "Common Problems" and thenscroll down to "Aggression" --- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 > wrote:> I too have a child with similar problems that you> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but> loving at others. I have tried many medications and> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the> school bus and is about to be expelled from school. > I have tried many forms of discipline but no help. > I would like any and all sugestions.> > <cynthia343 > wrote: Hi,> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've> been reading > all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors> in my son. He's > been on many differant meds and nothing is working.> He not only hits > and bites, he runs his head into the walls and> floors, hits his fore > head with his knees. He punches hisself with his> fists, he has gone so > far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. > And its like he can't control it, and the only way> to unload is to > attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last> year he broke the > teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is> a really lovable > boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but> then like the one > mother said, anything can set him off.> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med> change, the doctor > won't let me do it at home she fears for me when> Blake is off his meds.> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom> of Blake> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low> PC-to-Phone call rates.__________________________________________________________Want to start your own business?Learn how on Small Business.http://smallbusiness./r-index

Guest guest

I have it and like it...have used alot of their suggestions with good success...I find most anything by Myles and/or Tony Attwood to be helpful..just my 2 cents

May you have warm words on a cold evening,a full moon on a dark night,and a smooth road all the way to your door.

Has anyone read or hear of the book by Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns.

The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used....

There are several good resources to help withaggession in autism. The following books are a goodstarting place. They help make sense out ofaggressive behavior that appears random.Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare forChildren on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine HouseV. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: AFunctional Communication Training Approach, GuilfordPress.E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-BasedIntervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide forProducing Positive Change. H. sLuke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out ofMedications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. FutureHorizons.As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world'sforemost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an experton treating people with ASDs with behavior problems,and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of anadult with autism. You might also find the section onmy website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggressionuseful. Log on and click "Common Problems" and thenscroll down to "Aggression" --- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 > wrote:> I too have a child with similar problems that you> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but> loving at others. I have tried many medications and> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the> school bus and is about to be expelled from school. > I have tried many forms of discipline but no help. > I would like any and all sugestions.> > <cynthia343 > wrote: Hi,> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've> been reading > all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors> in my son. He's > been on many differant meds and nothing is working.> He not only hits > and bites, he runs his head into the walls and> floors, hits his fore > head with his knees. He punches hisself with his> fists, he has gone so > far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. > And its like he can't control it, and the only way> to unload is to > attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last> year he broke the > teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is> a really lovable > boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but> then like the one > mother said, anything can set him off.> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med> change, the doctor > won't let me do it at home she fears for me when> Blake is off his meds.> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom> of Blake> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low> PC-to-Phone call rates.__________________________________________________________Want to start your own business?Learn how on Small Business.http://smallbusiness./r-index

Guest guest

Guest guest

I

really liked this book. Have it loaned

out to my son’s teacher right now.

Tonya

Re: Random

Aggression

Has anyone read or hear of the book by

Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome and Difficult Moments:

Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns.

The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I

get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can

be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used....

April

<mnaut2187 > wrote:

Press.

Horizons.

--- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 >

wrote:

>

> <cynthia343 >

wrote: Hi,

> been reading

> in my son. He's

> He not only hits

> floors, hits his fore

> fists, he has gone so

> to unload is to

> year he broke the

> a really lovable

> then like the one

> change, the doctor

> Blake is off his meds.

> of Blake

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I

Tonya

Aggression

April

<mnaut2187 > wrote:

Press.

Horizons.

wrote:

>

> <cynthia343 >

> been reading

> in my son. He's

> He not only hits

> floors, hits his fore

> fists, he has gone so

> to unload is to

> year he broke the

> a really lovable

> then like the one

> change, the doctor

> Blake is off his meds.

> of Blake

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I

Tonya

Aggression

April

<mnaut2187 > wrote:

Press.

Horizons.

wrote:

>

> <cynthia343 >

> been reading

> in my son. He's

> He not only hits

> floors, hits his fore

> fists, he has gone so

> to unload is to

> year he broke the

> a really lovable

> then like the one

> change, the doctor

> Blake is off his meds.

> of Blake

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Yes, it is a very good book. Myles also co-authored another good book Asperger's Syndrome and Sensory Integration. Another really good book is the new book Understanding Autism for Dummies and there is a really good chapter on Asperger's - ties a lot of books together. HTH. MarieApril aka Gypsycatwoman <gypsycatwoman@...> wrote: Has anyone read or hear of the book by Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome

and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns. The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used.... Has anyone else read/used or heard of this book? April <mnaut2187 > wrote: There are several good resources to help withaggession in autism. The following books are a goodstarting place. They help make sense out ofaggressive behavior that appears random.Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare forChildren on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine

HouseV. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: AFunctional Communication Training Approach, GuilfordPress.E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-BasedIntervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide forProducing Positive Change. H. sLuke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out ofMedications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. FutureHorizons.As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world'sforemost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an experton treating people with ASDs with behavior problems,and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of anadult with autism. You might also find the section onmy website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggressionuseful. Log on and click "Common Problems" and thenscroll down to "Aggression" --- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 >

wrote:> I too have a child with similar problems that you> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but> loving at others. I have tried many medications and> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the> school bus and is about to be expelled from school. > I have tried many forms of discipline but no help. > I would like any and all sugestions.> > <cynthia343 > wrote: Hi,> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've> been reading > all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors> in my son. He's > been on many differant meds and nothing is working.> He not only hits > and bites, he runs his head into the walls and> floors, hits his fore > head with his knees. He punches hisself with his>

fists, he has gone so > far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. > And its like he can't control it, and the only way> to unload is to > attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last> year he broke the > teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is> a really lovable > boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but> then like the one > mother said, anything can set him off.> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med> change, the doctor > won't let me do it at home she fears for me when> Blake is off his meds.> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom> of Blake> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low> PC-to-Phone call

rates.__________________________________________________________Want to start your own business?Learn how on Small Business.http://smallbusiness./r-index

Sponsored LinkMortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo - Calculate new house payment

Guest guest

Yes, it is a very good book. Myles also co-authored another good book Asperger's Syndrome and Sensory Integration. Another really good book is the new book Understanding Autism for Dummies and there is a really good chapter on Asperger's - ties a lot of books together. HTH. MarieApril aka Gypsycatwoman <gypsycatwoman@...> wrote: Has anyone read or hear of the book by Myles & Jack Southwick: Aspergers Syndrome

and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns. The behavior specialist who works with GW suggested I get this book and use as a reference for GW's aggressive moments. It can be purchased via amazon.com for $15 new and I think $12 used.... Has anyone else read/used or heard of this book? April <mnaut2187 > wrote: There are several good resources to help withaggession in autism. The following books are a goodstarting place. They help make sense out ofaggressive behavior that appears random.Fred Volkmar and Wiesner (2004) Healthcare forChildren on the Autism Spectrum: A Guide to Medical,Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Woodbine

HouseV. Mark Durand (2002) Severe Behavior Problems: AFunctional Communication Training Approach, GuilfordPress.E.G. Carr and others (1995) Communication-BasedIntervention for Problem Behavior: A User's Guide forProducing Positive Change. H. sLuke Tasai (2001) Taking the Mystery Out ofMedications in Autism/Asperger's Syndromes. FutureHorizons.As you may know Dr. Volkmar is one of the world'sforemost authorities on autism, Ted Carr is an experton treating people with ASDs with behavior problems,and Luke Tsai is a child psychiatrist and parent of anadult with autism. You might also find the section onmy website travis-thompson.net dealing with aggressionuseful. Log on and click "Common Problems" and thenscroll down to "Aggression" --- crystal recoy <crystalrecoy74 >

wrote:> I too have a child with similar problems that you> have. I have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed> with PDD. He bites, hits, is violent at times but> loving at others. I have tried many medications and> counselors to no avail. He has been kicked off the> school bus and is about to be expelled from school. > I have tried many forms of discipline but no help. > I would like any and all sugestions.> > <cynthia343 > wrote: Hi,> My son Blake will be 15 years old next month. I've> been reading > all of these post, and I see alot of the behaviors> in my son. He's > been on many differant meds and nothing is working.> He not only hits > and bites, he runs his head into the walls and> floors, hits his fore > head with his knees. He punches hisself with his>

fists, he has gone so > far as to bit the whole top of his hand off. > And its like he can't control it, and the only way> to unload is to > attack. And god help anyone in his way. Just last> year he broke the > teachers nose, she was tring to calm him down. He is> a really lovable > boy, loves to be hugged and loves to cuddle, but> then like the one > mother said, anything can set him off.> He is going into the Hospital for yet another med> change, the doctor > won't let me do it at home she fears for me when> Blake is off his meds.> Well time for night meds, see you on the post. Mom> of Blake> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low> PC-to-Phone call

rates.__________________________________________________________Want to start your own business?Learn how on Small Business.http://smallbusiness./r-index

Sponsored LinkMortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo - Calculate new house payment

Guest guest